Wintertime At Hogwarts by Romione
Summary: It is the students sixth year at Hogwarts, and it's wintertime again. A time that Hermione and Ginny think to be the most romantic time of year. Harry and Ron, however, can't seem to work up the courage to ask the ones they love to the Winter Ball. This ball will set the future of the rest of the term at Hogwarts. Will everyone get the one they love?
Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 10406 Read: 47101 Published: 11/22/05 Updated: 02/19/06

1. Love all around by Romione

2. Preparations, preparations by Romione

3. Getting a date by Romione

4. Getting the Girl by Romione

5. Dancing Lessons by Romione

6. Before the ball by Romione

7. The Ball by Romione

8. Heading Home by Romione

9. Christmastime by Romione

10. The New Year by Romione

Love all around by Romione
CHAPTER ONE
It was cold and snowy out at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Two students were building a giant snowman down by the Black Lake. A few others were having a snowball fight a few yards away from Hagrid’s hut, while Hagrid himself was sitting outside by the fire, chuckling and watching them while sipping a warm butterbeer.

“Don’t you just love the holidays, Ginny?” Hermione asked as the two girls stepped outside. They were bundled up in their Hogwarts scarves and hats.

“Of course! It’s the most romantic time of the year!” she replied, grinning and looking around the grounds. Just then, she thought of Harry. She’d been thinking about him quite a lot, lately. It was the strangest thing. Ever since Ginny had seen Harry with Cho last year, she had been having these thoughts. Seeing him with Cho was kind of like a smack in the face. It was funny, because she thought that her feelings for Harry had vanished a while ago.

“Ginny? Hellooo…?”

“Wha “ Oh… sorry!” Ginny blushed. Hermione always caught her in a daze when they were together. She was always staring off into space. And Hermione was beginning to wonder why.

“What’s going on with you, Ginny? You’ve been acting very strangely lately,” Hermione prompted, hoping to get something out of her.

“Oh, nothing,” she smiled, “Just thinking.”

The two girls walked over to where Parvarti and Padma were building an igloo. They began to help, levitating bricks of snow on top of one another, while the snow started to fall down heavier.



Harry Potter could not see a thing.

His glasses were knocked off of him once more, and a blinding whiteness was covering his face. He was in danger. Again.

“I got you, Harry!” Seamus yelled. Just then, Harry brushed the snow out of his face. He wasn’t behind his fort, either. He was in perfect shooting range. Another snowball came and hit him right in the neck, making him shiver.

“Bloody hell, Harry, get up!!” Ron shouted, running over and yanking Harry up. He grabbed Harry’s glasses out of the snow and shoved them into his hands. As he put them on, clearness swept across his view. He saw the beautiful Hogwarts campus, the frozen lake, children ice-skating… and then he saw Ginny.

Another snowball hit him in the leg. He barely noticed. His eyes were set on Ginny, and they would not move for anything. He stared at her thin, red hair and beautiful blue eyes. Harry could never take his eyes off of Ginny. Whenever he walked by her in the hall, he nearly dropped his books. He never told Ron about this. He was a little embarrassed. Suddenly, Ginny turned her head and saw Harry looking at her. His cheeks burned. She quickly turned away; and Harry was sure that she thought he was stalking her. He quickly snapped out of it, determined not to let Ron know his feelings. He dove behind his snow-wall and chucked a snowball at Dean Thomas’s face.

“Thought we lost you there for a moment, mate,” Ron whispered to Harry. “You alright?”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine,” Harry replied. Just day-dreaming…”



“Attention, Attention!” Albus Dumbledore called out. “I have a very important announcement to make.”

All of the students of Hogwarts were in the Great Hall, feasting on their fantastic meal. The only thing that could’ve interrupted them was Dumbledore. He has this voice that somehow was always a whisper, but could be heard thousands of miles away. Most students thought it was magic.

“As it is that special time of year again, Hogwarts will be doing something special for you students, also. The night before Christmas break, which is one week from now, we will be having a Christmas Ball. There will be a terrific feast, of course, but before that, we will have dancing. So, that means, all of you students will have to scrounge up some dates! I wish you all good luck! Now you may continue eating.”

Harry and Ron looked at each other. “Another Ball?” they whispered simultaneously. Harry stole a glance at Ginny. She was very focused on her potato salad, eating it very slowly and carefully.

“Well, isn’t this dandy,” Ron said sarcastically, “Don’t you remember how the last ball turned out?”

“What, you mean you and Hermione getting into a huge fight and you ruining her night?” Harry asked, looking back at Ron.

Ron scowled at Harry and started to eat again. I didn’t ruin Hermione’s night, Ron thought. Then he thought more. Hermione. He remembered why they fought last year. It was because, although he would never admit it aloud, he was jealous. He should’ve asked Hermione first. He couldn’t let that happen again this year.

Ron looked over at Hermione, who was chatting about buying a dress with Ginny. His heart jumped. He had known for so long that he liked her. But he was so afraid that she wouldn’t return the feeling if he told her. On the other hand, he felt like he had to ask her. Because he had held it in for so long. Because he didn’t just like her anymore; he loved her. He was so in love with her. He had to ask her.

I love him. Hermione was staring at Ron from across the table as he ate. She was praying so much that Ron would ask her. This was his chance. If he didn’t take it, she didn’t know what she would do. I’ll tell him anyway, she thought. I will.
Preparations, preparations by Romione
“Hurry, Ginny, we’re going to be late!” Ron shouted at his sister from the Gryffindor common room. The school was taking a special trip to Hogsmeade so the students could buy dresses and dress robes. And Hermione, Harry, Ron, and Ginny were late.

“Coming!” Ginny stepped out from the girls’ dormitories and hung over the balcony. “Just let me grab my bag!”

She was in and out in a second, and then she began down the stairs. The rest of the group waited anxiously. Ginny stepped down into the room, and they were off. “Sorry,” she started, “I just...um, needed to fix my hair.” The truth was Ginny had spent a half hour getting ready because she knew that she’d be going with Harry. She wanted to look absolutely perfect.

In Harry’s opinion, Ginny’s mission was accomplished. Look how beautiful she looks, Harry thought. He wished more than anything that he was standing next to her; his arm wrapped around her waist. This ball was his chance to get what he wanted. He could wind up alone, bored, and unhappy like last year. Or he could screw up the courage to ask Ginny to this ball and wind up with her wrapped in his arms, slow dancing until the sunrise blazed across the horizon.

“Last call for students going on the Hogsmeade trip!” Professor McGonagall called.

“Wait! Wait, we’re here, too,” Hermione huffed, out of breath from running to get there on time. “Come on, guys, let’s go!” So the group of friends began the walk down the long road to Hogsmeade, the snowing biting their faces and the wind knocking them around. As they walked out, they saw the Whomping Willow, furiously shaking snow off of its branches. Ron reminisced back to a night three years ago…

The three of them, Ron, Harry, and Hermione, had been perched on top of the hill above Hagrid’s hut. They were waiting for the sound that clarified Buckbeak’s death; a loud slice that would ring out from the executioner’s axe. As that sound rang out, Hermione began to cry. It was so painful for Ron to see her upset like that. Her arm had slowly crept across his far shoulder, while she sobbed on the other one. It was in that moment that Ron knew that there was no doubt about where he wanted to be: right there, protecting her, shielding her from all that was happening. It felt so nice to have her in his arms. If only his stupid “rat” hadn’t have bitten him.

By the time Ron was done thinking about that night, they were there. Strong scents of butterbeer, cocoa, and all sorts of chocolates filled the students’ noses. Hogsmeade was definitely at its best during the winter. Warm butterbeers were half off, and Honeydukes always had a sale on their finest, most expensive chocolate. They could be sold for as low as 4 galleons. This was one of Ron’s favorite parts.

“C’mon, guys, let’s go to the Three Broomsticks!” Ron suggested. The four of them stepped in and were instantly wrapped in the heat of the pub.

“So much warmer in here, isn’t it?” Hermione said, relieved. Her nose was beginning to turn pink, and she hated it when that happened.

They found a table for four in the back. Hermione sat down in a chair, and Ron quickly tossed his coat on the seat next to her so Ginny wouldn’t take it. She looked at Ron strangely, but then, realizing her benefits from this, sat down happily next to Harry. “I’ll go get our drinks,” Hermione offered. “Be back in a second!”

Wow, Hermione thought. That was interesting. Ron had picked a spot next to her as quickly as he could. Hermione wondered if this meant anything, or if she was just being stupid and getting her hopes up. “Four butterbeers, please,” she ordered from Madam Rosmerta. Hermione pulled herself together. She was going to sit next to Ron, and she didn’t want to act all foolish and embarrassed. As she carefully levitated the four butterbeers towards the table, she caught sight of Ron’s dazzling green eyes. She almost lost concentration completely and dropped one of the glasses! Luckily, they dropped onto the table; with butterbeer sloshing up the sides and some splashing out. She groaned. This wasn’t going how she had planned.

The next stop was Drizzlewapp’s Robe and Dress Shop. The four friends split up and looked around for dresses. Hermione wandered off to the back of the store, where they had the most elegant dresses. She looked through all of them, sorting out what she didn’t like, what she hated, what she liked, and what she loved but couldn’t afford. Towards the end of the pile, she was beginning to lose hope. However, she suddenly pulled back the hideous prune-colored taffeta dress, gasped, and found exactly what she needed.

“Jeez, I’m glad my Mum isn’t picking out my dress robes again this year. Those ones from the Yule Ball were hideous,” Ron commented as he looked through the many outfits hanging on the rack. “Hang on,” he started. He fought to pull out something that caught his eye, but it appeared to be stuck on some other hangers.

Harry whipped out his wand. “Accio!” he exclaimed, and the dress robes flew into his hand, knocking off a few of the other outfits. The cashier scowled at him. “Oops…,” he mumbled.

“Brilliant!” Ron said. There, in Harry’s hands, was the perfect Christmas Ball outfit. It had a dashing velvet bowtie, a black jacket and slacks, and a cream-colored shirt. There was no ugly, girly ruffle to clip down the front. “I’m buying it!” Ron announced. He marched over to the cashier and gave him 5 galleons for it.

The others all met up with them at the front, all carrying mysterious bags in their arms, in which contained there outfits. On the way back from Hogsmeade, there was an awkward silence among all of the students. Tomorrow, most would begin getting dates.
Getting a date by Romione
The Great Hall buzzed with students voices as Professor Flitwick levitated the giant star to the top of the Hogwarts Christmas tree. Hagrid had hauled it in from the Forbidden Forest the day before. It was the morning, and the students were gobbling down crisp bacon, omelets, and other breakfast goodies. Most were tired; some where nervous. The Ball was only 4 days away, and the students would need to get dates. Some boys had already asked, and now they walked around with girls connected to their hip, showing off their dates to the school.

“I-I’m sorry Neville, but I just…already have a date,” Parvarti Patil stuttered. She was trying to come up with an excuse not to go with Neville, whom Harry felt bad for. So far three girls had said no to him, and not all of them were as nice as Parvarti was being.

“Oh,” Neville sighed, his head dropping down, “So, who are you going with.”

“I, um, I’m going with Seamus! Right…Seamus?” she shot a glance at Seamus Finnigan, who was in the middle of his bacon.

“Mmgj fdsh!” he tried to say with his mouth full of food. Neville just took that as a yes and slid down the bench towards Harry. Harry gave him a sympathetic look and willingly offered him some of his pancakes.

As for Ron, he’d been fiddling with his food for ten minutes, pushing it around on his plate and keeping his eyes on it at all times. He had to ask Hermione today. It was only four days until the ball, and she had gotten a date in their fourth year before he had asked her around the same time before the Yule Ball. He couldn’t eat his breakfast; for fear that he’d vomit it back up, he was so nervous. He was planning on asking Hermione to the Ball when their classes ended. Since today was Monday, he had Herbology last. In that class, he was going to pass her a note within the last five minutes. He had already written the note in his head, going over it again and again. It read:
Hermione: Meet me in the Common Room when you get back from this class. It’s important.
-Ron

“So, Harry,” Ron started, trying to take his mind off of Hermione, “Who do you think you’re asking to the ball?”

Harry dropped his fork. “Oh, uh…I don’t know yet. Who’re you asking?”

“Uhh…umm…I’m, uh, not sure yet,” Ron stated dumbly, pretending he really had no idea.

Both boys sat there in an awkward silence, not knowing that one was going to ask the others sister, and the other was going to ask their best, best friend. Ron shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He hoped that Harry wouldn’t guess who he wanted to ask. He’s going to find out anyway, Ron thought, after tonight and all. Yes, Hermione would probably tell him. Or, she’d tell Ginny who would most likely bring it up at breakfast the next day. He hoped that Harry wouldn’t be mad. Maybe he’d think that if they started dating, that it would ruin their friendship. That wouldn’t happen though. Ron and Hermione would never ignore Harry.

Meanwhile, the students all got up and started walking to their first class. Ron and Harry had Potions, while Hermione had Transfiguration. Hermione trudged up the stone steps and walked into the room, where Professor McGonagall was standing at the front of the class, busy turning a bird into a beautiful amulet. She was late.

“Please find your seat, Ms. Granger,” McGonagall said stiffly. Hermione quickly shuffled over towards her seat in the back row. She liked it back there; it was nice and quiet and away from everyone. She stared blankly ahead, not hearing what McGonagall was saying. She was so nervous about the ball. She wondered if Ginny felt the same way right at that moment.

Over in Greenhouse 3, Ginny was attempting to pluck berries off of a Gibblenipp tree as its branches snapped at her. Her arm was beginning to turn red. That was the third time she had gotten hit. Ginny couldn’t keep her mind off of the ball. Would Harry ask her? She looked up at the white, cloudy sky and prayed that he would ask her.

“Ginny!” Professor Sprout shouted, “Your Gibblenipp!” Ginny looked down and saw its branches ferociously beating Colin Creevy, who was helplessly smacking at them with his arms.

“Immobulus!” Ginny cried, freezing the plants limbs and pulling them off of Colin. Her head definitely wasn’t where it needed to be.

Several hours later, sixth year students were all crammed into Greenhouse 2. It was still snowing out, and it was bitterly cold. Hermione gazed out at the disappearing sun. A single snowflake fluttered down through the sky, landing on the roof of the greenhouse. It already began to melt.

Suddenly, Hermione felt a jab in her left side. It was Ron. She looked down at his hand, where he was holding a small bit of parchment. A note. She took it from his hand and read it:

Hermione: Meet me in the Common Room when you get back from this class. It’s important.
-Ron

Hermione nodded at Ron, and at the same time her heart fluttered. Was it what she was hoping it would be? She was so nervous? When the class was finally dismissed, she ran the whole way back to the Common Room. Ron wasn’t there yet, so she picked a comfy armchair by the fire. Suddenly, the portrait swung open. It was Ron.

He walked over towards Hermione, who jumped up from her seat. Ron was panicking; he was sweating and gulping for air. “Hi,” he stated, unsure where to begin.

“Hi.” Hermione was just as nervous.

Ron took a deep breath and started. “So. I, uh, guess you want to know why I asked you to meet me here. Well, um, I was just wondering, if, um…” his big green eyes expanded, and Hermione prodded him.

“What is it, Ron?” she asked hopefully.

“Hermione,” he said, “Will you go to the ball with me?”
Getting the Girl by Romione
“Hermione?” Ron asked. Hermione’s face had turned a little pink, and she hadn’t answered him yet. Ron was beginning to think that she might not have heard him. Oh no, Ron thought, what if she doesn’t want to go with me and doesn’t know what to say? Ron’s face turned scarlet. He suddenly felt very stupid. Why was he so sure that she’d say yes? Why would she like him? He decided to say something.

“Look, I “ “

Before he could get another word out, she leaned over and kissed him. He kissed her right back, despite how surprised he was. This was the last thing he expected. “I “ um…I guess that means…yes?” he helplessly asked after they pulled apart; blushing and smiling.

“Of course!” she said, grinning from ear to ear, “I’ve been hoping that you would ask me since the day the ball was announced!”

Ron smiled and took her hand. The moment was perfect. They walked out the portrait hole and out of the school. They began to walk along the Black Lake, swinging hands and staring out at the sky. Ron turned towards Hermione and kissed her again as the sun melted away behind the mountains.

* * *

“RONALD WEASLEY!”

The shout came straight from Ron’s right as he was eating breakfast the next morning. Ginny was running over towards him. “Why in the world didn’t you tell me you were going to ask Hermione to the ball!?” Hermione, who was sitting on Ron’s left, blushed. She had told Ginny last night. Now, however, half of the Gryffindors knew. Many turned their heads, and whispering started across the whole table.

“Why was it so important that you had to know?” Ron asked, looking around at the table nervously. Harry wasn’t there yet.

Ginny threw her hands in the air in disgust and stalked back over to her friends. She was very frustrated with Ron. How could he not tell her something like this? This was huge! She had known ever since Hermione had stayed at the Burrow that Ron liked her. Ginny was a bit jealous, actually. Harry still hadn’t asked her yet, and it was already Tuesday! Several boys had asked her, and she had turned all of them down. She was waiting for Harry. I won’t go with anyone else, even if he doesn’t ask me, she thought. Besides, she wasn’t interested in anyone else; only Harry.

In the meantime, Harry was racing towards the Great Hall. He had overslept, and he was late for breakfast. He burst through the doors and rushed to his seat. He’d have to have a very quick meal in order to be done in time. Suddenly, he noticed that Hermione wasn’t sitting in her usual seat by Ginny, and Ginny was sitting by her 5th-year friends. Today she was sitting next to Ron. She’s probably helping him with his Potions homework, Harry thought. However, he then saw Hermione nudge Ron and nod towards Harry.

“What’s going on, guys?” Harry asked cautiously.

Ron’s face turned a bit pink, and he began to tell Harry what had happened. “Well, you see, mate…uh…Hermione and I are…going to the ball…together,” he stammered.

Harry’s eyes widened. Ron and Hermione? He thought, amazed. Never in his wildest dreams had he imagined that they’d ever become a couple or anything. Then again, they always were a bit strange around each other at times; fighting like an old married couple.

“Wow, um, that’s very…interesting, guys. As long as you’re happy…”

“Oh, we are!” Hermione grinned. She was very happy about all of this.

Harry thought about Ginny he and she had been friends for a while. But would she ever really like him as much as he liked her? The thought troubled him. By Friday night, he had to have asked her. He had to do it now. This was his chance.

“Ginny?” he called weakly towards where she was sitting. She picked up her head and looked into his eyes.

“Yes?” she answered quietly. Harry beckoned her over towards him. She slid down the bench until she was right next to him. Harry gazed at her, praying that this would work how he had planned.

“Ginny, I was wondering “ “

Suddenly, students started swarming out of the hall; their voices extremely loud. The sound roared in Ginny’s ears. She couldn’t hear anything. Harry frowned. The hall had been dismissed, and the students were all running to their classes. This wasn’t good at all.

“I’m sorry, Harry…I can’t hear too well!” Ginny shouted over all the noise. “What were you going to say?” she asked, silently pleading that he would ask her right then.

But Harry’s friends suddenly walked by, playfully shoving him around, towards the door. Ginny tried to catch up to them. Harry glanced at Hermione and Ron, who were walking out of the Great Hall holding hands and smiling at each other. He thought of how perfect the moment Ron asked Hermione must’ve been. Harry had to wait.

“Nothing “ it…isn’t important,” Harry assured her, even though it meant everything in the world to him.
Dancing Lessons by Romione
It was the day before the ball. And no one was more anxious and bothered than Harry Potter.

He had failed to ever get Ginny alone, and couldn’t ask her. So far he had spent the whole early morning sulking, sure that someone had asked Ginny already. And why wouldn’t she say yes? She didn’t care that Harry didn’t ask her. I really blew it, Harry thought. Now I’ll never get the chance I’ve always wanted to take.

In the Gryffindor Common room, Ginny Weasley sat alone in the giant armchair. The fire was burning before her, despite how early it was. All of the other girls and boys were probably fast asleep upstairs. The snow had not yet begun to fall, and that made Ginny sad. Falling snow on the Hogwarts ground always made her feel happy; almost lucky. It was a good feeling. As of now, though, the white snow sat on the grass, beginning to melt away.

Ginny tried to keep her hopes up. It was early in the day, and anytime from now until dusk, Harry could still have the chance to ask her. But, little did she know all of Harry’s once strong courage and hope was beginning to tire out.

* * *

As all of the students began to file in the Great Hall, loud ballroom music played. It was after classes, and Dumbledore had arranged a special class to reinstruct ballroom dancing; which was a good thing. It was possible that not one Hogwarts student remembered how to dance, with the exception of Neville. Professor McGonagall silenced the room with a wave of her hands.

“Now, if you would all please choose a partner, we can begin the lesson.”

In a flash, students began running about the room, grabbing arms of the girls or boys that they wanted to dance with. Neville finally settled with Padma Patil. Ron grabbed Hermione around the waist and drew her closer to him. Harry threw them a wink and glanced around the room. Everyone had managed to get a partner already, except for him.

And Ginny.

She was standing precisely in the middle of the room, looking around. Harry was in awe that she didn’t already have a partner. It wasn’t possible that no one asked her; she looked too beautiful today. Her hair was done wavy, and it hung on her shoulders over her black buttoned-up sweater. She must’ve turned everyone down, Harry thought.

“Potter,” Professor McGonagall said, “you’ll be partners with Miss Weasley.”

Ginny’s stomach flipped. She slowly walked over to Harry. Well, Ginny thought, this will be interesting. She hadn’t accepted partnerships with anyone, but she didn’t really expect that Harry would be partnerless also. This was very lucky.

Harry and Ginny finally met, and Professor McGonagall turned up the music. “Now, all of the gentlemen will take their partners waist.” All of the boys shyly moved their hands onto the girls’ waist. Ron smiled at Hermione, while Harry’s heart silently jumped with pleasure.

“Very good. Now, will all of the ladies please place their hands on their partners shoulder? Go on now, don’t be shy.” Ginny slowly placed her hand on Harry’s shoulder. They smiled at each other. “Now,” Professor McGonagall started, “on my count, you will step front, step back, step side, step side, then, gentlemen, lift your lady up and spin her a half turn. Everyone got that?”

Everyone blinked and tried to digest all of that. Professor McGonagall began counting, and everyone began dancing. Harry prayed he wouldn’t step on Ginny’s feet. She was a very good dancer; however, Harry soon found that he had improved a bit himself. They gracefully spun around the floor, and he scooped her up perfectly every four steps. She felt as light as a feather to him, and his strong arms swept her up almost too high. They were obviously the best dancing pair in the room.

Ron stared at Harry from across the room. “Something’s a bit strange with the two of them,” he confided in Hermione. He could tell by the way that Harry was looking at his sister that this was more than dance practice to him.

Hermione gave Ron one of her looks and replied, “Well of course! It’s obvious that they like each other.”

Ron scowled, partly annoyed at Hermione for noticing before he. Noticing his bad mood, Hermione smiled and gave him a quick apologetic kiss on the cheek. He returned the smile as he swept her across the floor. Lately, she’d been working on being less brainy and nicer to Ron. It was a new adjustment now that they were dating. They always used to argue, but Hermione wanted to change that.

The music ended, and Harry and Ginny finally parted. They smiled at each other; and Harry couldn’t bear it any longer. While Professor McGonagall wasn’t looking, Harry took Ginny by the hand and pulled her out of the room. “Harry “ what is it?” Ginny inquired. She looked behind her as the door swung shut.

“Ginny…I have to ask you something. And I have to ask you now because if I don’t ask you soon, it’ll be too late. I’ve put this off for too long.” Ginny’s eyes widened and her heart thumped; she was sure Harry could hear it.

He pulled her closer and took her hand in his. “Ginny…would you go to the Winter Ball with me?”

Ginny smiled, and hopped onto her tippy-toes, wrapping her arms around him in a large hug. She softly whispered in his ear, “I thought you’d never ask.” With that Harry beamed, and the snow outside began to slowly fall onto the grounds.
Before the ball by Romione
In the middle of the dark, cold night, most of the Hogwarts students were fast asleep in their beds. Not all of them, though.

Harry gazed out at the velvet black sky as the slim, white elbow of the moon peeked out from behind the clouds. Tomorrow was the ball. The stars twinkled and winked at him as he thought more and more. What if he messed up the ball? What if it got cancelled? Harry began to sweat as all of these 'what if’s' raced through his mind. Undoubtedly these were foolish worries; for the sky was not predicting snow, nor rain. Harry was fully prepared and ready for the ball, no matter how he refused to admit it.

Across the room in a similar warm, four-poster bed, Ron laid staring up at his canopy. His muscles were tight; his heart and blood were pumping. Frustrated, he thought about why this shouldn’t be happening. He and Hermione had been going together for almost a week now, and he was used to being her boyfriend. However, going to the ball seemed like starting all over again. Like working up the guts to ask her out again, or enduring their wonderful first kiss again; both had set his stomach plunging and soaring.

Ron glanced over at his clock. It was nearly midnight. He rolled over on his side, determined to get some sleep. Otherwise, he’d look like a wreck for the ball. Just as had turned, though, he caught eyes with Harry, who had just also rolled over. Ron was surprised to see that he was still awake. “Hey…what’re you doing up?” Ron whispered, careful not to wake Dean or Neville.

“Er, I’m just…a little anxious about the ball,” Harry stuttered in return. His heart sank. He hadn’t quite told him about Ginny.

Ron shot him a sympathetic look. “I’m sorry you haven’t got a date, mate. But, hey, there’s always next time “ right?”

Harry stared into his best friend’s eyes. He couldn’t lie to his face. He’d have to tell him, right now.

“Listen, mate… I’ve got to tell you something. I want you to know that I don’t want this to affect our friendship. If you choose to be mad, then “”

“Levicorpus!”

Suddenly, before he knew what had happened, Harry was dangling in midair, the blood rushing to his head. He heard Ron muttering; he was jinxing everyone in the room so they couldn’t hear a thing. “Oi!” Harry bellowed, “What’re you doing?”

Ron stormed over to Harry and angrily burst out, “You and Hermione…you’ve been sneaking around behind my back, haven’t you? How could “”

“You git, that’s not it!” Harry choked, his head pulsing, “Now let me down!”

Ron’s expression blanked. He quickly mumbled "Liberacorpus," feeling stupid. Harry tumbled onto his bed, cursing under his breath about his now painful, throbbing headache.

“I “er “ sorry,” Ron said sheepishly, his face turning pink.

“Listen,” Harry started, rubbing his head, “I’m not doing anything with Hermione! I “I’m…going to the ball with Ginny.”

Ron’s green eyes widened in surprise. He mulled this thought over in his brain again and again. His best friend and his little sister. That would be a bit strange. Then again, if anyone was going to date Ginny, he could trust Harry to treat her the best. Ron was just surprised that Harry had actually worked up the guts to ask her.

After what seemed like ages to Harry, Ron’s face crept into a smile. “Well, if that’s all you had to tell me, mate…I guess I’ll go back to bed.”

Harry let out his breath and grinned at Ron. As he flopped onto his back, Ron counter-jinxed Seamus, Neville, Dean, and the other boys.

On his way back to bed, though, Ron said cautiously, “Take good care of her Harry. That you have to promise.”

Harry gave him a nod and rolled over onto his side as Ron shuffled back to his bed.

I would never do anything to hurt her, Harry thought, never. He closed his eyes and finally fell asleep. Tomorrow was the ball.

* * *

“Ginny, wake up!”

Ginny Weasley’s eyes fluttered open. Hermione, Parvarti, and Lavender Brown were peering over her. “What?” she muttered, “What is it?”

“It’s Friday! It’s the day of the ball; come on, we’ve got to get ready!” Hermione’s face was anxious and excited. She could hardly wait for tonight; it was going to be spectacular.

Ginny shot up in bed and looked around. A bright white light was reflecting off of the snow and pouring into the room. Makeup, hairspray, dress cases, bobby pins, and all other sorts of girl stuff were littered all over place. Apparently, the rest of the girls had been up very early, setting up their stuff. Today, they had no classes so the students could prepare for the ball.

“I- oh! I have to get ready!” Ginny hopped out of bed and ran over to her trunk, yanked out her dress, and threw it on her bed. Immediately, Hermione pulled out all of her makeup.

The girls began sorting all of their belongings to certain areas of the dormitory, planning what they would do first, whose makeup they’d use, and what time they’d leave for the ball. As of now, it’s was 11:30; six and a half hours away from the ball. They had to get to work.

“Harry! Harry!? Could you make sure my bowtie’s straight?”

Harry whipped his head around and looked at Ron, who was craning his neck so Harry could see his velvet bow. “It looks fine, Ron,” Harry reassured his friend. “Why’ve you gotten dressed so early, anyway? It’s only half-past noon!”

Ron gave him a nervous look and replied, “I just want to be ready!” He picked up his black shoes and began polishing them with a rag. “I “ have “ to “ get “ this spot “ out!” he stammered while furiously picking and scrubbing at his shoe.

Harry simply picked up the black shoe polish and tipped it over the spot, then rubbed it in. Ron smiled.

By half past five, all of the girls and most of the boys were ready. Harry had used the same type of dress robes as the Yule Ball. Ron grinned at himself in the mirror, admiring his new robes. Harry remembered how quickly he’d fallen in love with them in Drizzlewapp’s. Maybe I should’ve bought a different style of robes, Harry thought worriedly. As if Ron could read his mind, he suddenly called over, “Harry, you’re new robes look great!”

Across the balcony, all of the Gryffindor girls were poring over Hermione’s dress. “It looks gorgeous, Hermione! I can’t believe you spotted the last one at the robe shop!” Parvarti commented. Hermione blushed and replied with a thank you.

Suddenly, Ginny stepped out from behind the dressing wall. All of the girls squealed and ran over to her. She had gotten a light, ocean blue dress draped in a layer of sheer, vanilla “ colored material. The top was speckled with shiny gemstones, and prints single roses twisted and turned up each side of the dress.

Ginny smiled and said, “I got it from my mum. She wore it to her first ball.” All of the girls smiled and traced their fingers along the dress, entranced by its beauty. Her long, fiery red hair was pulled partly up, with rose clips on each side. The remainder of her hair was in soft curls, covering the back of her strapless dress.

As she glanced over at Hermione, her jaw dropped. “Hermione, you look fantastic!” she exclaimed, “My brother is going to flip his lid when he sees you,” she added, giggling. Hermione grinned and grabbed her purse.

“Let’s go!”
The Ball by Romione
The Great Hall was, once again, spectacularly decorated. Snow was pouring down from the artificial sky, and ice lined the walls and snack tables. Tiny sitting areas were lined down the sides of the room, with puffy little cushioned seats inside curving in a semi-circle, and red velvet curtains hung from the top like shower curtains. They were sound-proof, so the loud music and festivities outside would not be able to be heard.

A group of Gryffindor boys were waiting expectantly by the steps of the room. Harry elbowed his way to the front of the crowd, looking at the top of the steps. No sign of Ginny. Other couples were filing down the steps, followed by teachers. Harry and Ron exchanged nervous looks. “Were we supposed to wait for them?” Ron asked worriedly, “I hope that Hermione’s not mad…”

Suddenly, with a few giggles and clicks of heels, Hermione appeared at the top of the steps.

A wave of silence flew over the crowd. Many scarcely recognized her; she had completely transformed. Ron gaped as she blushed and began to walk down the steps.

Her hair shone in the air like silk; it twisted and turned in brilliant curls. Random, tiny braids were scattered along her hair, while her bangs curled out to the side. Her dress was a deep plum color with tiny straps tied around her neck. The bottom draped low in the front, and cut up to her knees on the side. It followed a zigzag pattern all along the back, with a lighter pink layer of material falling a few inches below the main part.

Ron’s eyes followed her as she took each step carefully down. His mouth went dry, his jaw was low. Several people snickered, expecting him to drool any second. Shortly followed by Hermione was Ginny, elegantly floating down the steps. Harry’s eyes widened, and he began to stare. She looks like an angel, Harry thought, grinning.

Finally, Hermione reached the bottom of the stairs. Ron smiled and took her in his arms. “Y “ You look so bloody beautiful, Hermione, you’re amazing,” he stuttered, enchanted. She blushed furiously and thanked him. He kissed her quickly on the cheek, resulting in several shouts and whistles from onlookers. Hermione giggled and walked towards the dance floor with Ron.

Meanwhile, Harry gulped as Ginny stepped up to him. She smiled and gazed into Harry’s eyes. “Ginny, you “ you…look…” Unable to find the words to express his feelings, he leaned in and kissed her. Her lips burned on his, and when they finally parted, he grinned and pulled her to the dance floor. The day couldn’t have been better.

Out on the dance floor Ron smiled at his little sister and Harry. The music began to play, and the ball began. Hermione and Ginny’s hair spun around in the air; bouncing every time they were lifted up. Later in the night, the Weird Sisters began to play. Harry and Ginny ran over to the punch table. Their cheeks were red from all of the dancing, and Ginny’s hair was beginning to fall forward a bit. Harry brushed a stray strand from her face and smiled. “Have you seen Hermione and Ron?” Ginny asked, shouting over the loud music.

“No,” Harry yelled back. Glancing around at the crazy pack of dancers and the loud band, he asked, “Would you like to go to a sitting spot?” Ginny nodded and grabbed his hand. They ran off to the side of the room.

“Let’s use this one,” Ginny called. She drew back the curtain and gasped.

There were Ron and Hermione, wrapped together closely. Hermione’s hair had begun to uncurl a bit, and her tie on her dress was a bit loose. They were locked at the mouth, snogging right there in the Great Hall. “Oi!” Ginny bellowed, “At least go back to the Common Room!” She laughed along with Harry, as the two finally pulled apart.

“Ginny!” Ron said, apparently embarrassed; his face had turned a bright shade of red. Hermione looked at the ground, but couldn’t help herself from giggling.

“Could we get a moment?” Ginny asked, “Hermione, you might want to fix your hair and dress a bit, or the teachers will know what you’re up to!”

Ron scrambled out as Hermione playfully hit Ginny on the arm, fluffing up her hair. “Hey,” Ron called back, “you two take it easy.” Ginny glared at him and yanked the curtain closed, killing the sound outside immediately. Her and Harry took seats on the fat little velvet cushions.

“Well,” Ginny began, “that was a bit awkward.”

Harry laughed and nodded. Looking at the closed curtain, he wondered, why did I ask Ginny to come in here? He had only wanted to get a moment of peace with his girlfriend. However, after walking in on Ron and Hermione, he panicked at the thought of being alone with her. Would she want to do anything? Or just talk?

“Harry, are you alright?” Ginny asked. His was staring off into space. Quickly jerking his head around, he smiled and nodded sheepishly. She looked at Harry and replied, “I’m having a really great time tonight.”

“I’m so glad you came with me, Ginny,” Harry answered, sliding down the cushion towards her. “I’d wanted to ask you since I first heard of the ball.” He glanced from his knees to Ginny’s face, studying her expression. “I “ I’ve always liked you. Back since the beginning of the summer. Even before then, maybe.”

Ginny smiled and said quietly, “Ever since last year, when I saw you with Cho,” she paused and shook her head, “I don’t know what happened.”

“You know Cho means nothing to me now.”

“I know.”

Slowly, Harry leaned in. He pressed his lips against hers, and his spine tingled. She wrapped her arm around him as he ran his fingers through her soft hair. After what seemed like several minutes to Harry, they finally parted. He took her cheek in his hand and whispered, “I’m having a great time, too.” Ginny grinned slyly and kissed him again.

“Hey!”

Suddenly, loud bursts of noise poured into the tiny room. Harry and Ginny pulled apart and looked around. There were Ron and Hermione, standing right were the curtain used to be.

“Ever heard of knocking, mate?” Harry asked, partially annoyed. He was enjoying the quietness and privacy of the sitting room.

“That is my sister, you know! Now…will you two come back out to the dance floor, please?” Ginny reluctantly stood and walked out of the room, followed closely by Harry. Ron shot him a furtive glance, as Hermione grabbed Ginny by the arm, giggling and walking away. The two boys were left alone.

“So,” Ron started uncomfortably, “Let’s get back to the ball.”

“Right,” Harry answered. They walked deep into the crowd of students jumping up and down to the Weird Sisters. Eventually, they met up with the two girls, who had spent time at the punch table talking about all of the details from what had happened to each of them. Several hours and many songs later, they decided to head back to the Common Room.

The fire was blazing, and the four teens sat around the fire, drinking butterbeers. Harry and Ginny were sharing a tiny couch, snuggled against each other, while Hermione sat leaning against the arm of an armchair, sitting on Ron’s knees. When the night began to peel away and dawn was peaking over the horizon, the girls decided to go to sleep.

“G’night, Harry,” Ginny yawned, sliding off the couch. He stood and kissed her goodnight, as Ron did the same with Hermione. The girls walked off, chattering and laughing arm in arm.

As Ron and Harry walked to the dormitories, they thought about the brilliant night they had just had. Finally, they hopped into their beds as the sun began to peek over the hills. The ball was over.
Heading Home by Romione
By noon on Saturday, some of the Hogwarts students were finally beginning to wake up. His head throbbing, Ron sat up in bed. Slowly, his eyelids peeled upwards, and he blinked several times.

“Ughh,” he groaned, rubbing his head, “What a night.”

“You got that right.” Neville shuffled into the room, carrying his shoes.

“Neville,” Ron said, bewildered, “When “ you didn’t just get in now, did you?”

“No, I fell asleep in the Common Room,” he replied, “Got in at about five and collapsed on the couch. Pretty wild night, eh? Harry told me about you and Hermione,” he chuckled. “I actually had a very good time with Luna, myself.”

“You went with Luna?” Ron asked, “I thought you went with Padma.”

“No, she was just my dance partner.” Neville smiled and added, “I had a much better time with Luna than I did dancing with Padma.”

A loud groan came from across the room as Neville flopped down on his bed. Harry had decided to get up. Ron laughed hysterically at the sight of him; he looked a mess. His hair was completely disheveled and dark circles had formed under his eyes.

“What time is it?” Harry moaned, pulling on his glasses and reaching for his comb, blushing slightly. He began to yank all of the knots out of his hair.

“It’s noon, mate, we have to pack! Today’s the day we’re leaving, and we wouldn’t want to miss the train. Oi! Sit back up, come on Harry!” Ron threw a pillow at his friend and got out of bed.

Harry lay there, motionless.

“Whatever man, I guess I’ll just tell Ginny that you didn’t want to see her today, that you’d rather sleep. Poor soul, it’ll break her heart…”

“I’m up, I’m up,” Harry mumbled, jumping out of bed. “And Ron, don’t you dare hurt my baby.” He smiled and laughed, while Ron just rolled his eyes.

Harry began summoning all of his belongings and throwing them in his trunk. He was done in five minutes. The two boys set off together for the Great Hall, where they were supposed to meet Hermione and Ginny. Almost all of the students were packed in there, saying their goodbyes. After a great deal of searching, Ron and Harry found the girls. They both quietly mumbled “Morning” and kissed them. Harry and Ginny set off for the train hand in hand, while Hermione and Ron went to meet up with the prefects. They had nearly reached the train when they heard a familiar voice.

“Hey, Weasley!”

Draco Malfoy was heading over to the group of prefects about to board the train into the prefect compartment. His face was curled into a vicious smile, and he was staring straight at Ron, who had stiffened. “Let’s go,” Harry whispered to Ginny, and he pulled her over to where they were standing. Hermione had a worried look on her face.

“What do you want, Malfoy?” Ron said angrily.

“So I’ve heard that you got yourself a girlfriend, Weasley! Well, at first I was very impressed when I heard about that. But you know, it must’ve been easy, the Mudblood you’re now dating must’ve been desperate since no one else in their right mind would like her.” The whole crowd silenced, and it all seemed to happen within seconds. Before Harry could do anything to stick up for his friends, before he could even breath, Malfoy was on the ground, clutching his nose. Ron’s clenched fist pulled back from where it had struck Malfoy, and he grabbed Hermione’s hand and walked away.

Both Harry and Ginny began to laugh, along with everyone else. They walked onto the train, leaving Malfoy behind, who was now cursing under his breath and attempting to hex everyone in the crowd. “I still can’t believe how horrid he is,” Ginny started, “but I loved how Ron just exploded at him. He was just completely unafraid. It’s amazing.”

“Well, you know…I would’ve done the same thing if he said anything about you.” Harry smiled as Ginny sat next to him in the compartment and rested her head on his shoulder. His heart jumped, and he stroked her bright red hair. When he noticed Luna and Neville heading towards their seats, he stopped and settled his hand around her waist. Ginny cuddled against him as the door swung open.

“Hello,” Luna stated airily. She sat down across from them next to Neville. “Oh, you two are so sweet, aren’t you?” Harry reddened while Ginny just laughed.

The group sat there talking for a long time, soon Hermione and Ron were back; they squished in next to Luna and Neville. Harry bought them all snacks off the trolley. After several hours, they squeaked to a halt at the station. Harry looked out the window and saw Mrs. Weasley, who was grinning and looking at Ginny, who was now asleep with her head against Harry’s chest. Ron and Hermione both waved, and Harry woke Ginny up. After bidding Neville and Luna a goodbye, they walked off the train.

“Oh, you four, it’s so good to see you!” Mrs. Weasley cried, pulling them all into a hug and kissing their cheeks. “Arthur’s waiting outside with brooms for all of you. Harry, you have your Firebolt, I’m guessing?” Harry nodded and they set off for the car.

* * *

It was a short ride back to the Burrow; they arrived within a half-hour. Ron and Harry set off for their rooms, while the two girls did the same. Harry immediately began setting up his stuff, while Ron sat on his bed. “I can’t believe it’s nearly Christmas,” Harry said, straightening his framed photo off his mum and dad. Both boys had gone shopping in Hogsmeade for their girlfriends. Harry had gotten Ginny a beautiful necklace with a blood red heart on the chain, sparkling with tiny gems. Ron had picked up a ring for Hermione that had a rose engraved into its golden band.

“Yeah…do you think Hermione will like her gift?” Ron asked nervously; he was wringing his hands and his brow was furrowed.

“Calm down, mate, I’m sure she’ll love it. Now let’s go get some dinner “ I can smell it from up here.”
Christmastime by Romione
A hot, steaming turkey was set out on the dinner table. Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, string beans and mixed vegetables were set in bowls all around the turkey. There was also a very peculiar-looking casserole which Mr. Weasley had made. It was Christmas Eve at the Burrow.

“Girls, come down before the food gets cold!” Mrs. Weasley shouted. Bill, Mrs. Weasley, Charlie, Fred, George, Mr. Weasley and Harry and Ron were sitting at the table. Ginny and Hermione rushed down the stairs and took their seats. Mrs. Weasley began to serve everyone.

Ron and Harry exchanged glances and simultaneously pulled out tiny boxes from their pockets.

“Hermione…”

“Ginny…”

“Merry Christmas!”

The boys both blushed as they handed the girls their presents. Expressions of delight peeked onto their faces as they opened them.

“Oh, Harry!”

“Ron!”

“They’re beautiful!”

Both girls reached across the table and kissed the boys on the cheek; Mrs. Weasley beamed. She was very pleased with Ron and Ginny’s choices.

“Take as much turkey as you want; it cost me 19 galleons and I want it all gone!” Mrs. Weasley offered. Everyone took an extra slice and began to eat.

* * *
A hot, smoky fire was burning in the living room. All of the kids were sitting downstairs. The sky was dyed to a deep purple outside, and the sun was hanging behind the trees. The digital clock read 6:30 PM. They had all decided to watch the sunset before going to bed. The four of them shared the fat couch, which had been turned towards the opened door.

“Well…I think I’m going the head upstairs,” Ginny yawned. She rose up from the couch, kissed Harry goodnight, and shuffled upstairs. Harry lovingly watched her go until he heard the door to her room shut.
“You okay there, Harry?” Ron grinned at him slyly. Harry threw a pillow at him and reddened. It was a bit awkward at times with Harry and Ginny and Ron, since Ron had that whole protective thing with his sister. Harry wasn’t surprised; all of the boyfriends she had had were never quite treated very fondly by Ron.

“I can’t believe that tomorrow’s Christmas!” Hermione exclaimed. “This year has gone so fast, I can’t even believe it. It’s been a good year though…I mean, in the long run. Sort of,” she added hastily when she saw Harry’s disagreeing look. He was still very upset about Sirius. Suddenly, they all heard shuffling on top of the stairs. A minute later, Mrs. Weasley came down. She was in a terry-cloth robe and matching slippers.

“Kids, I want you upstairs and getting ready for bed by 8:00, and everyone asleep by 9:00, no later! No but’s, Ronald.” Ron had shot her a protestant look. With that she turned and walked back up the steps.

“Well, we’ve got and hour…what do you reckon we do?” Harry asked. The other two shrugged, and Harry suddenly grinned. It was good to be with his friends Christmas Eve and not the Dursleys.

* * *

Christmas morning came and past, like all, very quickly. Boxes were piled underneath the tree; wrapping paper was torn everywhere and scattered all over the floor. Harry had gotten a new pair of water-resistant Quidditch goggles from Ginny, and Ron had received a Chudley Cannons poster from Hermione. Mrs. Weasley had prepared a scrumptious egg bake and coffee. Everyone had a splendid time. The day was perfect.

The rest of the day, everyone just walked around in their pajamas and relaxed. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had gone out to lunch and were going shopping afterwards. Bill, Charlie, Ginny and Harry were playing Exploding Snap in the living room while Ron, Hermione, Fred, and George were listening to the radio and preparing lunch in the kitchen. “Oi!” Fred shouted from the kitchen to Bill and Charlie, “You two are the oldest, why aren’t you cooking lunch?”

“Because,” Charlie replied lazily, “Mum told you and George to. And quit complaining, would you? You’re allowed to use magic now!” Fred grumbled something under his breath and got back to work.

“Ron, you’re salting the bread,” Hermione pointed out.

He looked at her blankly and replied, “I thought you told me to?”

Hermione giggled. “No, I told you to butter the bread and salt the salad,” she said, nodding towards the bowl of green lettuce. Ron scowled and grabbed the bowl.

Several minutes later, Ginny began to put away the Exploding Snap and all of the children gathered ‘round the table for lunch: grilled cheese sandwiches and garden salad. Hermione had taken the recipe from her mother. Everyone dug in. Just as they were finishing up, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley walked in the door. Their arms were piled high with packages and bags. The girls helped them unpack while the boys reluctantly cleaned up the lunch mess. It had been a nice Christmas at the Weasley’s.
The New Year by Romione
It was a cold, snowy night on New Year’s Eve. Private parties were being hosted everywhere, in the Wizard world and the Muggle world. The Burrow was decorated with ribbons and crepe paper, and there were party favors laying everywhere. Bowls of cheese doodles and Doritos were levitating to the table, along with Fizzing Whizbees and Jelly Slugs.

Hermione was spending the day with her parents at home, but was returning for midnight. Ron had been pathetically counting down the hours until she returned. As of now it was three; she was returning at eight o’ clock and it was five. Harry threw a pillow at Ron when he heard him mumble “Only three more hours…only three more…”

“Pull yourself together, Ron!” he laughed, dumping his candy stash onto the table in the living room. The kids would be counting down downstairs, while Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were spending the last few hours of 2005 upstairs.

Ron simply frowned at Harry and continued organizing the food.

People everywhere were setting up fireworks for midnight, and some had bought noisemakers that could be heard ten miles away. It was going to be an exciting night. Harry always chuckled when he thought about all of the Muggles wondering where all of the loud noises were coming from. He imagined Uncle Vernon miles away, shaking his head and yelling about the entire ruckus.

Hours later when Hermione arrived, the food was all set up and everyone was sitting down for their last dinner of the year. Ron jumped up from his seat and gave her a big hug and kiss. Ginny and Harry looked at each other and giggled. Those three hours must’ve dragged by pretty slowly.

Hermione took her place at the table next to Ron, and they all dug in. The children didn’t each much since they were saving room for all of the sweets and chips they were about to eat. Mostly they all just had salad and some chicken. “Don’t eat too many sweets,” Mrs. Weasley warned, “I don’t want you all to have stomachaches on New Year’s Day!”

All of the kids nodded even though they knew that they’d finish every bit of the food. After they were done, they all ran upstairs to get their pajamas on. Mr. Weasley had gotten them all Muggle party favors, which he considered particularly amusing. Ginny could barely figure out how to use the noisemakers. Fred and George spent the entire rest of the evening making fun of them. As for Bill and Charlie, they were off spending New Year’s Eve with their girlfriends.

Hermione, Ron, Harry, and Ginny all squeezed onto the couch. They all giggled when Mr. and Mrs. Weasley walked downstairs in their matching striped PJs. Mr. Weasley blushed while Mrs. Weasley kissed them all and told them she’d be down at midnight. They both shuffled back up the stairs, and Harry could hear Celestina Warbeck playing on the radio from their room.

“Well,” Harry started, “This has been quite and eventful year.” He glanced at his watch. It was quarter to twelve. He figured that they might as well talk about 2005 before it ended.

“Yea, but in the long run, it was very good,” Hermione added. “So…I guess that we’ll never really have a quiet year,” she giggled as everyone nodded. “But you know, everyone has their share of ups and downs. We’ve been through so much this year, and yet good things can still come out of it.” She smiled at Ron.

“That’s right,” Ginny said. “Things might not always be happy and dandy, but no matter what we’ll always have each other.” Harry smiled and whispered that he loved her in her ear. She kissed him on the cheek. It was ten to twelve.

“Next year may hold different things, but let’s hope that they’ll be better than the worst we’ve had this year,” Ron added. “I know, though, that this year I was much braver than I ever was before. The Winter Ball was great fun, too.”

Five to twelve.

“I’m almost sorry that this year is ending,” Harry thought aloud. “This year had some low points,” he cringed when he thought of his godfather, “but it also held some great times. I don’t want them to be in the past, and I don’t want to start everything over again. I want to hold onto everything from this year. Well, almost everything.”

“It was very touching to here all of you young people’s input on 2005,” Fred commented, “But everything that happened won’t change! Don’t worry about the past, it happened.”

“Live in the present,” the twins said in perfect unison.

Suddenly, a loud ripple of noise exploded from outside. Someone had set up a countdown system to be seen everywhere. Red, fiery sparks shot across the sky until the formed a giant ten. The ten became a nine. It counted down; seven, six, five four, three, two…

“HAPPY NEW YEAR!!”

Huge fireworks exploded everywhere. Each of the couples kissed, and everyone hugged as noise crackled outside and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley ran down the stairs.

Yes, Harry thought, this year was definitely a pretty good one.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=37502