Crossing Over by running_swift
Summary: It was everything I ever wanted since it happened; to relish in power, to not be what people wanted me to be... to be different. To be who I wasn't; Hermione Granger, insufferable know-it-all.
Categories: Hermione/Draco Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 15836 Read: 32403 Published: 11/24/05 Updated: 02/19/06

1. Prologue by running_swift

2. Chapter 1 by running_swift

3. Chapter 2 by running_swift

4. Chapter 3 by running_swift

5. Chapter 4 by running_swift

6. Chapter 5 by running_swift

7. Chapter 6 by running_swift

8. Chapter 7 by running_swift

9. Chapter 8 by running_swift

Prologue by running_swift
Discalimer: Characters/places/spells/things you recognise belong to the wonderful JKR. The rest belongs to me!


It was no longer a case of good and evil. It was evil. Just evil.

I guess I should have been happy about it, if I were to please him. After all, what seventeen-year-old wouldn’t turn down the chance to start a new life? A new life, void of the hurt, pain, and suffering of finding your parents dead. Now that I look back at it, I see it as more than an escape from the light and comfort that would have welcomed me had I chosen it. I would have agreed with the first thing that offered me a chance of revenge. The first thing that could have taken control of me, and I let it. I let him.

It was the day after I found my parents. The people you love the most lying spread-eagled on the ground, eyes open in horrified terror; it wasn’t the most pleasant sight. Police arrived at the scene shortly after I phoned them. The only possible explanation they gave was that of a drug overdose. It was great what muggle technology could do at the best and the worst of times, but this was just one of the times when I was glad I had my wand, glad I knew better. There was no doubt that a floating Dark Mark over a muggle household in a muggle neighbourhood would raise suspicions.

It wasn’t until I knew him that I realised just how much thought and procedure he put into his plans. Take, for example, the visit he made to a muggle street. Sure, a bit of Avada Kedavra here and there, just with an added touch of large amounts of heroin. But I didn’t know then that he had visited the house personally. Of course, I had assumed that it had been him, but he told my vulnerable self otherwise. He told me later that it saved him from having the job of killing Malfoy Senior himself, though that was something I had dreamt of doing the second I had met the old fool. That slimy excuse for a father had not only forced Draco to kill Dumbledore, but was also willing to sacrifice his wife and son for his Dark Lord, should he fail.

Thankfully, Draco did fail. He wasn’t killed of course; only with my incessant pleading and begging did the Dark Lord finally give in. Only a handful of people knew that he couldn’t, and wouldn’t, do it. Harry had made sure everyone in the Order knew once he had found his tongue. Yes, there were times after Dumbledore’s death when he would speak, but for the large part, my green-eyed best friend was as quiet as a well-oiled door hinge. He kept to himself, refusing to emerge from his room during our stay at Grimmauld Place, which, following the death of Sirius fell to his ownership. He wandered aimlessly around his new property every now and then, sneaking into the library when he could; my being a complete know-it-all DID have its quirks. My decision to help him would later on be the best thing that the Dark Lord could have hoped for; but for the time being, I was, and still am, to the Order, Hermione Granger, Hogwarts bookworm.



This is my first ever fanfic so pleeeeeease be nice if you're gonna review! I know the Prologue isn't very good (and short), but it gets better!
Chapter 1 by running_swift
Disclaimer: All characters belong to JKR. Plot line credited to... me, but great thanks to my good friend WaterLily who has inspired me to keep writing!

Previously on Crossing Over:

He kept to himself, refusing to emerge from his room during our stay at Grimmauld Place, which, following the death of Sirius fell to his ownership. He wandered aimlessly around his new property every now and then, sneaking into the library when he could; my being a complete know-it-all DID have its perks. My decision to help him would later on be the best thing that the Dark Lord could have hoped for; but for the time being, I was, and still am, to the Order, Hermione Granger, Hogwarts bookworm.



It was a week after my parents’ death. Since I was already 17, which was, in the wizarding world, the legal age, I was my own guardian. I left the building I could now call my house in search of a small flat in the busy streets of muggle London. My only thought was to just get away; away from everything that served as a reminder of the death of my parents. After four days’ searching, I came across a comfortable, average-sized, and cheap apartment in a building just a few streets away from The Leaky Cauldron. However much I would have liked to be rid of the magical world forever, I still had a year left at Hogwarts, and being the stubborn Gryffindor I was, I was determined to complete it.

I settled in soon enough. My parents had left enough for me to be able to live; that, coupled with the selling of the house meant that I need not look for a job. My days were spent, for the large part, in Diagon Alley, where I would see Hogwarts faces: some, like me, leaving for their last year; others bringing their eleven-year-old lives into a place of magic and mystery. I looked at the younger ones with pride; there were numerous times when I would think back to the past six years of my life, and the many adventures they contained, the many times that Harry had defied Voldemort… Harry. He and Ron didn’t yet know about my parents.

I had never wondered what it would be like to tell them that my parents had died over a week ago, since I hadn’t had the courage to owl them about it. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to tell them… I think. Their reactions if I told them now would be nothing short of the same reactions that would have come out of telling them earlier. Oh ‘Mione… I’m so sorry, Harry would say. Yeah, says Ron, why didn’t you tell us sooner? We thought something had happened to you! Why did McGonagall never tell us? We have a right to know! Hermione… never told… And so it would go on, question after question.

Walking around Diagon Alley in a daze was, of course, not the best thing to do. I had rather hoped that I would notice Harry and Ron before they noticed… well, bumped, into me. Before I knew it, I had sighed with an air of annoyance, having seen both of them laden with large books about Quidditch, one of which was labelled ‘Quidditch: Sixty-six Famous Incidents and More (Added Encyclopaedia Just for the Sake of It)’.

“Hermione!” shouted a very tall Ron. I eyed him before grinning.

“You have a speck of dirt on your nose, Ronald. Let me just…” I closed the gap between us, and proceeded to wipe the grey mark from his face. Pretending to take no notice of the ever-growing flush that had risen in his cheeks, I turned and smiled at the slightly shocked green eyes beside me.

“Harry! It’s so good to see you again,” I exclaimed, and pulled him into a one-armed hug. All of the books the boys were holding had fallen to the ground by this time, and it wasn’t until I had looked down that I noticed a deep red book poking out from the insides of ‘Quidditch Through the Ages 2: The Things They Missed Out’. I paused, bent down to pick it up, and began to flick through the pages. The pages were full of, if I remember correctly, well, girls. Girls who were dressed extremely… not dressed to be honest.

“Harry, Ron”” I started, but was cut off, extremely rudely, by Draco Malfoy.

“Well, well… If it isn’t Potty, Weasel, and, look, mudblood Granger. What are you fine three up to on a day like this? Books, yet again, Granger. I shouldn’t be surprised! Ha! Hold on… why are you””

“Malfoy, get the Hippogriff out of here! How can you still be here after what you did a month ago?” Maybe my anger showed. He certainly wasn’t welcome anywhere within a hundred miles of Harry. His involvement in the death of Dumbledore had sent Harry over the edge, and I had hoped, in time, that Harry would see that he was living a happy façade on the outside and a depressed existence on the inside. Right now, though, his happy façade had melted into a silent outburst of fury. Just skimming over Harry’s eyes was enough for me to become scared.

“Malfoy, I advise you to go. Now.” Why I was giving Draco Malfoy advice was anyone’s guess. Harry surely didn’t need to give the Dark Lord another reason to hate him even more, but his anger could blind him, something I had found out at the beginning of fifth year. I had experienced the same with Ron at the start of sixth year. His jealousy over whether or not we had all snogged led him to stay every waking minute of the day with that Lavender Brown. At least Draco didn’t have to resort to jealousy to put his point across.

“I don’t take orders from the offspring of contaminated blood,” he spat. “Oh, wait…” He smirked that smirk of his, and turned his eyes to mine, “Your parents no longer have blood in them!” He had gone too far, and I hoped that he had realised it. The glare I was giving him was, in my opinion, quite terrifying. I had, however, no more time to mull over this; both Harry and Ron had pulled out their wands and pointed them at Malfoy’s throat.

“Don’t, ever, say that about Hermione and her parents again. You don’t know the first thing about her, let alone telling us her parents are no longer alive. You can not, will not, and do not scare us, Malfoy,” seethed Harry. It was the first thing he had said since bumping into me. The venom in his words could have been the Basilisk’s poison from what I heard.

“Yeah,” added Ron, “don’t you think she would have told us if they really were?”

“I’m surprised, Granger.” His iced over eyes were still boring into mine. I longed to look away, but the guilt-like hold the steel blue tunnels had over me stopped me from doing so. “Not telling the so-called best friends life-changing events, I see.” The questioning and determined look in his eyes was unsettling, to say the least. And why he wanted to know whether I had told Harry and Ron was beyond my thinking.

I managed to muster up what I thought was a calm and collected voice. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, Malfoy. Leave us, now.”

“Oh, Mudblood… Staying in that little flat of yours has certainly given you a flair for lying. How, I’m not sure, but seeing as how you haven’t spoken to friends or family recently””

“EXPELLIARMUS!”

And that was when I suddenly wished Harry and Ron weren’t so overprotective of me.

“Harry, Ron, wands down, now. Let’s go.” I shot one last scathing look at the shaking Malfoy before making my way slowly towards the Leaky Cauldron. Somehow, I had known that my parents’ deaths would have come up, mentioned, I had hoped, by myself, when the time was right. Unfortunately, Malfoy had just beaten me to it; all I could hope for now was for Harry and Ron to not question me…

“…Hermione?”



A/N: What dya think? Review!! :D Oh, and thanks to the two reviewers (as of this moment) who so kindly reviewed!!
Chapter 2 by running_swift
Discalimer: (does this need to happen every time??) Everything except plot belongs to the wonderful JKR (who, having read the interview she gave MuggleNet's Emerson and TLC's Melissa on July 16th, I think is utterly mad! In a good way!) Enjoy!



For the first time since my parents had died, I found myself crying.

Crying, because Ron was too insensitive to think about what I was going through; crying, because Harry had done everything he could have done to help, yet it had no effect on me; crying, until I heard a knock on the door. I dragged myself from the comforts of the purple and black cushion, wiped the stains from my face, tried to fix the blotched cheeks that had come as a result of the tears, opened the door, took the slightest glance at the platinum blonde hair, and immediately slammed it shut.

I felt the lock slide under my fingers, whilst I fumbled at the chain and hurried to lock the door with the key that lay on the kitchen table.

“Granger!” The tears started falling again, and my breath became short and fast. I wouldn’t answer him, I just wouldn’t. He had scared me enough, knowing more about me than my friends did.

“Granger! Open up! It’s important!” NO, Hermione. He’s not worth it. He’s a foul, muggle-hating, evil ferret who doesn’t know right from wrong. He won’t help you. He CAN’T help you. Ignore him and he’ll go. He’ll just go.

“GRANGER!” I shuddered. No matter how sing-song like his voice was, the coldness and harshness I heard made me nothing but scared. But I was a Gryffindor. I wouldn’t be scared. I wasn’t allowed to be. I should have been brave enough to open the door myself.

Unfortunately, for the second time that week, Draco Malfoy had beaten me to doing something. The door had creaked ajar, and a head of platinum blonde hair poked its way around it. It made me realise how stupid I could be when I was upset; sometimes one could forget that the other is a wizard.

“Granger, I’m sor””

“You’re sorry? YOU’RE sorry?! Draco Malfoy, pureblood heir to the Malfoy family name, is saying SORRY to Mudblood Granger filth?! Hmph, now I’ve heard it all!” Maybe I had put myself down too much, or maybe I was surprised at the tone of voice Malfoy had used. It was soft, almost sincere. I turned around so that I wouldn’t have to look at him in the eye; they were most likely shooting daggers at me. However, the silence that followed my sudden outburst could only have been due to shock; calling myself a Mudblood would certainly not have been in Malfoy’s book of insults.

“Fine, I’m not sorry,” he replied. All trace of the care he had expressed a few moments ago had evaporated; in its place was an acrimonious sneer. Amazing how people can change so quickly, isn’t it? Particularly Malfoy. I was startled, shocked… and scared. He was scaring me. I couldn’t see him and he was scaring me.

“Granger, listen. I’m not here to insult you. I can’t make you take in what I have to say, I know, but hear me out. I know what you’re going through, I””

“No!” I screamed. “You don’t. You can’t…” My voice dropped to a mere whimper. “No one knows…” I could feel the tears pricking at the back of my eyes. Somehow I knew that I didn’t care that Draco Malfoy was seeing the weakest side of me. “No one knows””

I heard the rustle of clothes and footsteps, as if Malfoy were about to say something. I didn’t want any interruptions though. Here was a chance to finally express how I had been feeling for the past two weeks.

“”what it’s like to have your parents die because of you! Because of what you are! Because of you, they’re more of a target to people who don’t know the meaning of life… people like your father!”

I could almost hear his muscles tense, and I immediately regretted saying something so harsh. Obviously he still held Lucius in high regard, but at this time I didn’t know Draco, so I never knew how he felt.

“My father, Granger, is, was, and always will be worth more than you and your repulsive parents. He may not think I am worthy of anything after my little show, but at least he has the courage to wipe out those who spread their dirt everywhere! And you should do well to stay out of his way unless you want to end up like your parents!”

Silence followed. Lucius Malfoy, wiping out the… something didn’t fit. Was Draco saying that… no. His father couldn’t have… no living human could be so awful. I just couldn’t believe it.

“He didn’t…your…your father killed my parents…” The realisation didn’t want to sink in. I was talking to someone that was related to the person who had killed the only people who had loved me, cared for me, been a supportive pillar in my life. Anger coursed through me like fire, and I spun on the spot, only to find myself looking straight into those eyes again.

“My father,” he spat, “didn’t do anything.” I thought I saw a faint flicker of panic and fear flitting across his eyes, but it was either gone almost as quickly as it came, or it was a trick of the light. “He doesn’t go near filthy muggle places like this… Place?” He glanced around. “You call this a place?”

“Was Lucius Malfoy at or not at the Granger family household on 2nd June?” If the situation hadn’t been so serious, I would have smiled at my stubbornness.

“What’s it to you? So what? I’m not my father, Granger, why don’t you just ask him yourself?” This blonde, arrogant, annoying jerk was starting to get on my nerves. I think it showed too. That ever annoying smirk had returned to its rightful owner, and I was surprised that I hadn’t already performed a repeat of the third year punch I gave him. Of course, the harder the punch the merrier I was, just so that his father could feel some of the pain I was going through, because of what I had assumed he had done.

“I swear, Malfoy, I will kill him. Then you’ll feel the pain of losing a parent. Then you’ll know at least half of what I’m going through!”

Silence. Again. His eyes darted everywhere but mine. His smirk faded; in its place was hurt, and an odd state of serenity. Then, in barely more than a whisper, I heard the words: “I do.”

I paused.

“You do?”

“I do.”



Hello! Hope you enjoyed that! Until the next chapter it is then...
Chapter 3 by running_swift
A/N:Hello! Once again I present you with Crossing Over! Have fun!

Disclaimer: Everything except plot belongs to JKR (as per usual)




Previously on Crossing Over

“I swear, Malfoy, I will kill him. Then you’ll feel the pain of losing a parent. Then you’ll know at least half of what I’m going through!”

Silence. Again. His eyes darted everywhere but mine. His smirk faded; in its place was hurt, and an odd state of serenity. Then, in barely more than a whisper, I heard the words:

“I do.”

I paused.

“You do?”

“I do.”



Chapter 3

He wasn’t supposed to. I hadn’t quite believed yet that Draco Malfoy knew what it felt like to have lost a parent. I stood there in rigid shock, my eyes disbelieving and blank, staring into those hard-set orbs. I suddenly felt my eyes soften, and the hatred and anger I had felt towards him subsided.

“I’m sorry,” I finally said. “I didn’t know.”

“Too right you didn’t.” His eyes were locked emotionlessly onto the space to the right of me. I didn’t know why, but I was feeling sorry for him; he, who never seemed to have known what the love of a parent was like; what the love of a father was like.

“Do you know who killed him?”

“Her, Granger. It was my mother who… I just hope she’s out there smiling down at me, up at me, whatever.” He smiled. “I knew how proud of me she was. I knew how scared for me she was. And I just ignored her. I just… She was my everything, you know?”

He swallowed. Who would have thought that Draco Malfoy could radiate such positive feelings?

“And now… what else do I have to live for? To torment Potter? To make Weasley feel inferior? To get you worked up over nothing?”

“Hey! I’m right here!”

“Isn’t life supposed to treat everyone fairly,” he carried on, ignoring my interruption, “even the people who don’t live life fairly?” It was those eyes again. I was just lost in them. Such was the feeling emanating from them that I just couldn’t resist. My hand crept up thin air to touch the side of his face, to feed off the emotion in his eyes.

Instantly he recoiled. I hadn’t expected him to stay at peace for long.

“Get off me, Mudblood.”

I let my hand fall to my side. It looked like he was about to go, and I couldn’t have that. It felt like a part of me wanted to get to know him, to comfort him. I turned away, letting the tears that had been threatening to fall a long time ago finish what they had started.

I didn’t know what to think of Draco Malfoy anymore. Was he the same, incomprehensible, foul-mouthed boy who walked around like he owned the place, taking every striking opportunity to insult others? I had to sit down. Thoughts and unfathomable feelings rushed through my head. Steadying myself on the coffee table next to the sofa, I sank onto the welcoming folds of the lilac piece of furniture. A long, gasping sigh escaped my lips, and I brought my knees up to my body.

“Come in, if you really want to. It’s not much… but it’s my home now.”

He hesitated. Just the thought of being near someone like me should have been too much for him. I guess he really does have a heart somewhere down there; otherwise he wouldn’t have come to sit opposite me. The action made me so shocked that the tears once again flowed freely, sliding their paths down my cheeks.

“You’re so weak. You shouldn’t cry all the time. Yeah, they’re gone, but…”

“It’s not that,” I said, shaking my head. “Harry and Ron… they… they…” I trailed off. It was too hard to talk about. How could you tell someone who was supposedly your worst enemy that your best friends couldn’t understand you?

“They what?” He was so straight to the point. Could he not at least let it drag out a bit, let me cry some more?

“Didn’t understand what I am going through. All they wanted to know was why I hadn’t told them; why I hid it from them. It’s like the only thing they cared about was knowing why; not how I was, not how I was coping. They… I don’t think they really care about me…”

“Things happen, Granger. Get over it.”

My watery eyes shot to him.

“Oh, come off it. You mean to tell me that you never thought, ‘how long can we keep it up’? The Golden Trio has to end one day.”

“No, Malfoy, I didn’t. For your information, this is the first time something like this has happened.”

He scoffed. “First time? Is it temporary memory loss you’re suffering from, or did the whole school not know the dilemma you and Weasley so openly flaunted?”

Colour raced to my cheeks. I hadn’t forgotten about that. Yes, Ron was being a complete and utter prat last year but… boys do that… right? I hoped they did; the only thing all boys did not do was smirk continuously, which was exactly what I was getting from his oh-so-gracious majesty at the moment. It was quite amusing really, and I couldn’t help but smile.

“Smiling, Granger? Because of me? I’m honoured,” he said, smirking, if possible, even more. I thought I was going crazy; Draco Malfoy, being civil? To me, no less. The world was ending!

“Tell me Malfoy, what’s it like to be evil?” It was such a random question that it took even me by surprise, knowing that it had come out of my own mouth. “I mean, you must feel something when you’re doing… evil things. Like… when you knew… P-Pr-Professor D-D-Dumbledore… he…” It was an overwhelming feeling. It was barely a month ago that Dumbledore had passed away, and yet the sad feeling that I got whenever he was mentioned was still there.

“I-I-I’m… I’m sorry…” It was his turn to stutter. I had just realised it, but here I was, in the presence of the one who had essentially laid the building blocks for the death of our former Headmaster, and I found that I didn’t mind.

“It’s all right…” I sniffed, “it’s not like it can be changed now, is it? If I didn’t feel so absolutely awful at the moment, I don’t think you’d be here.”

He managed a weak smile. At least I could make someone smile, if not myself. Behind my tears was happiness, for some reason or another.

“You didn’t answer the question…”

He sighed. “No, I didn’t.”

It looked like he was preparing himself for the worst, by the grimace he made.

“Being evil is like being forced to take a part of yourself away from what you already know. It’s one of the worst feelings you could experience, but at the same time, I guess it’s one of the best. Just that feeling of power… it’s great. You feel like you’re on top of the world, like you’re flying, like you’re free; even though you’re being, so to say, controlled. Please, Granger, stop giving me that look.”

“Hey, I’m not the one who looks like a little boy describing his favourite toy.”

“Do not.”

“Do to.”

“Do not.”

“Shut up. You did. Carry on.”



A/N: Hi again! How did you find that? This was originally one chapter but I decided that it was too long, so I split it, which is kinda why the ending is a bit weird, coz I couldn't find somewhere really suitable to split it..... Anyway please do review!
Chapter 4 by running_swift
Hello! Sorry for the erm... was it a long non-updating period? Anyway, characters belong to JKR etc etc (and if you were really hoping for it to be posted, it's longer than the others!)



Previously on Crossing Over
“Being evil is like being forced to take a part of yourself away from what you already know. It’s one of the worst feelings you could experience, but at the same time, I guess it’s one of the best. Just that feeling of power… it’s great. You feel like you’re on top of the world, like you’re flying, like you’re free; even though you’re being, so to say, controlled. Please, Granger, stop giving me that look.”

“Hey, I’m not the one who looks like a little boy describing his favourite toy.”

“Do not.”

“Do to.”

“Do not.”

“Shut up. You did. Carry on.”



Chapter 4

“Impatient. Where was I? Oh, evilness. I guess sometimes you can get bored of it, but once you become evil, it’s your life. You can’t live for anything else, but you can do what you want with it. You can abuse your power to the highest, like kill muggles. Or you can just kill people for the fun of it!”

He grinned wickedly. I rolled my eyes at him, just barely managing to prevent myself from diving at him and violently attacking him for being so casual about death and evilness.

“No, really, Granger! Don’t you see? You could be so much more than you already are!”

“And what exactly am I? I’ve always been Hermione Granger, mudblooded know-it-all witch. Scrap that, not even a witch… to people like you, anyway. You think you have nothing to live for? What do I have? No family, no friends, and here I am talking to Draco Malfoy, of all people.”

“Thanks. It’s nice to know I’m appreciated. You know, they’re only your parents…”

“What do you mean ‘they’re only my parents’?! They’re dead, Malfoy, dead! And your father killed them! Harry and Ron don’t understand me; the only friends I’ve talked to about it don’t understand me! They ask why I didn’t tell them, but they don’t care about how I feel…”

“Granger, you really shouldn’t bog yourself down so much. I mean, whatever if they don’t know what you’re going through. It’s like knowing that you exist but not knowing why.”

“That is a bad analogy, you know that, right?”

“Yeah, never been a deep thinker kinda person myself…”

“To be honest, I’d rather if you didn’t talk right now.”

“… Right then.”

I think there was something with Malfoy, me, and silences. They seemed to follow us wherever we went.

“Okay, I take it back. Why didn’t they understand, Malfoy? Why does everything happen to me? It’s not fair!”

“Nothing’s fair. If life was fair you wouldn’t exist and this world would be pleasantly muggle-free!”

“If life was fair, ferret, all of us would be living harmoniously together like respectable human beings. And, if you hadn’t noticed, that hasn’t happened yet.”

“Merlin, hope it doesn’t!”

“Oh shut up. What do you know?”

“A lot more than you, that’s for sure! Besides, shouldn’t you be like… sulking or something? Your parents just died, you know?”

A tear slid down my face. He just had to put it as bluntly as possible.

“I didn’t need you to remind me,” I said as quietly as possible.

He didn’t say anything. He seemed to be contemplating the next feasible outcome of this conversation. That is, if it was even remotely possible to have a conversation with Draco Malfoy. Then again, I didn’t ever think it remotely possible for Draco Malfoy to come and sit near a Mudblood, let alone next to one.

That was exactly what he did.

More than shocked, I turned to face him, looking through my bushy strands of hair. He was lounged leisurely on the other half of the sofa, and waited several minutes before looking at me, a lopsided grin plastered on his face. Immediately he frowned, making me panic.

“What? I have something on my face, don’t I? Oh God, what is it? Get it off! Unless it’s a spot in which case don’t even think about coming near me, ‘cause spotty Hermione’s don’t normally go near boys, and””

I stopped abruptly when a hand covered my mouth. My eyes widened in surprise at actually having Draco Malfoy in such close proximity to me. There was laughter in his eyes, and it sent shivers down my spine. When he spoke, it was in barely more than a whisper.

“You talk too much.”

Still he hadn’t moved his hand. Not that I didn’t want him to, of course; it just felt so warm though. It was soft, much unlike Harry’s or Ron’s, and it smelt vaguely of cologne. Skin grazed against skin as his thumb brushed my cheek, and, having found that my mouth was free to breathe again, I let go of the breath that had caught in my throat.

“Wh-What are you doing?”

“Doing what you told me to,” he smiled. “Getting rid of the thing on your face. A tear.”

“Oh… Thanks, I guess. Erm… could you kinda move now? You do realise you’re touching a Mudblood, right?” It was against my own will that I said this, but it was, I thought, for his benefit.

“Yeah… I do. I just don’t like it when Mudbloods touch me.” His voice was husky and still quiet, as if he wanted to keep the peaceful mood that had been set. He smirked. I hated it when he did that; quite annoying really. I don’t know how long we were there for, just looking into each other’s eyes, but I didn’t want it to end. I think we were so lost in each other that we didn’t notice the loud crack that resounded in the air.

“Hem hem.”

Our heads literally banged into the other to find out who the Umbridge-impersonator was. Having felt the bump that was forming on my head, I found Fred, George and Ginny sporting smirks which were quite worthy of Malfoy himself. Without hesitation I flew backwards and upwards, trying to get as far from Malfoy as possible.

“This isn’t… we weren’t… I… It’s Malfoy, and… Fred, George and Ginny Weasley stop laughing!”

For some reason or another all three of the siblings had cracked up laughing, and I assumed that the look on my face had made them laugh even more. I looked to Malfoy for support; he, like me, was completely dumbfounded as to why they were all laughing.

“O-Oh, Merlin, Her-Her-Hermione!! Pr-Pr-Priceless!! It was just priceless!!”

“I agree!! Nothing could be better than seeing “”

““ Draco Malfoy “”

““ and Hermione Granger “”

““ so bloody close to each other!”

Again all three burst out laughing. I couldn’t help but smirk at them, since they found such a small thing amusing. The twins started whispering and pointing, and I distinctly heard the words: ‘Malfoy smirk’.

“Right, well, business is business. Let’s get down to it.”

“Hermione, darling, take a seat. A little birdie told us that you’re not feeling that well at the moment, and we’d like to know how you are.”

“Erm… I’m… I guess I’m all right…”

“No, you’re not. I don’t believe you at all. All we want do is help, you know that, right?”

“Yeah, I appreciate it, but you didn’t have to come all the way from The Burrow…”

“Now, see, there’s this little thing…”

“…called Side-Along Apparition…”

“Fred, George, shut up. ‘Mione, how are you feeling, really?”

“I told you, Gin, I’m fine!”

“Bu””

“I do believe she wants you to shut up, Weaslette.” I shot a contemptuous look at Malfoy before turning back to Ginny, who was gaping at Malfoy as if he had no right to speak.

“I do believe she wasn’t talking to you. Besides, what are you doing here?” George shot a look at me. “Hermione, you wouldn’t care to explain, would you?”

“No, I’d rather not…”

“Hermione…”

“George, just leave her alone. So what if the ferret’s here?”

“Fred! That thing over there almost killed our little brother, and one of his mates has given us a half-werewolf for one!”

“Oh, yeah. That. Well, Hermione’s choice, isn’t it?”

“What are you talking about? This is Malfoy!

“Fred, George!! Please, stop…” This entire ruckus was very much getting on my nerves, and their heated argument wasn’t helping. I went to sit back down next to Malfoy, who looked quite sullen. I mouthed ‘sorry’ at him, before turning towards the three redheads.

“Sit, he doesn’t bite…” They moved around the sofa we were sitting on to the other one opposite. All three looked seemingly worried at Malfoy’s presence; George seemed to be restraining himself from having another angry outburst. My head whipped back and forth between the two sides, waiting impatiently for one of them to say something.

“Guys, please, just relax. It’s not like you’ve never been in each other’s company before. Just pretend like you’re friends, for my sake.”

“Now why, Granger, would I do anything for you?”

“Shut up, unless you want me to tell them.” He was momentarily stunned by my ‘threat’. Of course, I would never tell them that his mother had died; whether it was out of pity or something else, I didn’t know.

“Tell us what?”

“Nothing. So, what are you still doing here? You’ve got what you wanted to know “ I’m fine.”

“Yes, Hermione””

“”but there’s an added problem””

“”of him,” finished Ginny, pointing at the boy next to me. I stared at her, quite surprised that she had completed a ‘Fred and George sentence’, as I liked to call them. I couldn’t help but chuckle at this, and she smiled.

“That’s what you get, growing up with them…”

“What’s it like?” Four heads turned to the quietly seated Malfoy. “To have a family; I never… I’d always wondered…” His eyes were again studying empty space, and he seemed to be trying his hardest not to blush. I temporarily thought it an odd question, until remembering that I no longer knew that feeling anymore; there were only memories to fill that gap.

“Wouldn’t you already know? I think your parents spoil you enough as it is “ isn’t that enough for you?” George asked. He was being extremely spiteful, and although he had good reason, I had asked him to get along with Malfoy for my sake.

“George, please, stop it…”

“HERMIONE! HE NEARLY KILLED RON!” he bellowed.

“I know!! So what? Please stop shouting or leave!”

“I’M NOT SHOU”oh. Sorry…”

“It’s lovely, Malfoy,” Ginny interrupted. She had said it so quietly that the silence that followed seemed deafening. “Having a family is great; it’s fun. And when anything happens to them…”

I glanced at Malfoy; he seemed to be harbouring the same feelings that I was. Sadness and grief was written across his face, reflecting the pain that I had suffered for the past week.

“Erm… guys? You wouldn’t mind leaving us, would you? I mean, Harry and Ron are probably””

“Yeah, it’s no problem. Fred, George, c’mon. Don’t argue, let’s go.”

“Thanks, Gin.” I smiled up at her as she stood to leave. She grabbed Fred’s arm tightly as they Apparated away, allowing Malfoy and me some time to think. At least, I was thinking. It was difficult. It was true; I missed them, but what good was it to maintain those feelings if there was nothing you could do about them? I looked at him with watery eyes; amazingly, he did the same.

Suddenly, another loud crack filled the air. I didn’t bother to look up.

“Guys, I thought I told you to””

And I looked up. I saw who it was, and it wasn’t them.



Hi again! Good/not good/okay/like/not like/whatever? please help me improve!! (ie review)
Chapter 5 by running_swift
A/N: Hello! This really is quite a long chapter, I shan't delay you from reading it!



Previously on Crossing Over

“Thanks, Gin.” I smiled up at her as she stood to leave. She grabbed Fred’s arm tightly as they Apparated away, allowing Malfoy and I some time to think. At least, I was thinking. It was difficult. It was true; I missed them, but what good was it to maintain those feelings if there was nothing you could do about them? I looked at him with watery eyes; amazingly, he did the same.

Suddenly, another loud crack filled the air. I didn’t bother to look up.

“Guys, I thought I told you to””

And I looked up. I saw who it was, and it wasn’t them.



Chapter 5

“VOLDEMORT?!”

I stumbled backwards “ no way in hell was this hideous being in my apartment. His bald head was shiny and reflected all light, and his chin was non-existent; it fused into his neck. His skin was pale and grey-like, making the blood-red eyes seem more threatening than they already were. He smiled, but it wasn’t like one of Draco’s smiles. Thin lips which lacked colour twisted themselves into a gruesome sneer; there was no warmth in his eyes, and he seemed to be enjoying just standing there.

“Now, now child, is that any way to address the greatest wizard of all time?” Those red slits actually had amusement dancing in them.

“Albus Dumbledore is and always will be the greatest wizard of all time, Riddle.”

I glanced at Draco’s stricken face to the side of me. His eyes were darting forwards and backwards between his master and me, like he was scared that one or both of us would end up hurt. I looked defiantly into Voldemort’s eyes; well, what there were of them.

“So the Mudblood thinks she has the right to call me by my filthy father’s name? If I’m not mistaken, little witch, Albus Dumbledore is well and truly dead. He was too weak to stand up against me! However, you, sweet thing, are different… Draco, my loyal servant, why don’t you show her what happens to brave souls who stand up against me?” He stared menacingly at Draco, who, I could tell, was still very confused.

“Master, I-I”” he stammered. “Sh-She…” He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply; trembling, he raised his wand and pointed it at me. After what seemed an eternity, the person who I thought I could trust; the person who I had spent the best part of the last three hours spilling my life secrets to, snapped open his eyes, revealing cold, lifeless circles. They seemed to register their surroundings before once again returning to their original state of fear and anxiety, as they were when they first saw Voldemort.

Taking another deep breath, he tried to start again:

“Cru””

Crucio!

Draco Malfoy fell on his hands and knees to the ground writhing, but silent. His face contorted into a mixture of pain and joy, as if experiencing the effects of the Cruciatus curse was a regular occurrence for him. His mouth opened and closed several times, as if trying to speak, and I could just make out the word he was forming with his lips: stop. I reacted instantly, and did the one thing I could do; stop Voldemort.

“Stop it!” I yelled at him, my eyes focused on the twitching Draco on the floor. Tears began to fill my eyes from the sight of seeing him in such pain.

“STOP IT!” I screamed in Voldemort’s face. Without thinking, I lunged at him, trying to break the hold he had over Draco, so that I wouldn’t have to bear witness to his suffering.

“Stand aside, silly girl…”

My mind reeled at the familiarity of the words. Was he going to repeat his actions of so many years ago?

This, child, is what my disloyal servants get for not obeying me!” His eyes flashed in Draco’s direction, and with a flick of his wand, the weak form slumped, unmoving, to the floor. I hurried over to him, kneeling to check if he was still alive.

“He’s barely alive! What have you done to him?!”

“A mere reminder of what can happen, my dear,” he said, emphasising the last word like venom. He strolled forwards without sound, as if gliding slowly through water. From my crouched position I saw long, thin fingers protruding from a dark billowing cloak, which was patterned with snake-shaped shades of green. I tried to ignore him whilst waking Draco up.

“Leave him be. He’ll come to his senses in time. Now, Miss Granger, how do you feel?”

“What do you mean?” I spat. “I was fine until you came along!”

“Fine, you say? Then, you don’t remember that your family died quite recently?”

I didn’t know what to say. It almost sounded as if he cared about them; my parents, who were muggles.

“Yes, muggles they were, but they were your parents. They were the ones who gave you life; the ones you lived seventeen years of your life with, and, quite unfortunately,” he added with a smirk, “they’re dead. They’re dead, Miss Granger. Surely you must feel something?”

I felt like crying again. He was deliberately rubbing the fact that they were dead into my face, even though both of his parents were gone; after all, he was the one to kill his father and his father’s parents. That probably explained why he hadn’t felt anything remotely close to love in his whole life. Harry’s descriptions of the images in Dumbledore’s Pensieve were not just frightening, but almost heart-breaking, even though they were about a younger “ and somewhat evil “ Voldemort.

Obviously, Harry and Ron didn’t agree with me, because Voldemort ‘had always been evil so you can’t just feel sorry for him’, apparently. Or maybe guys just didn’t have hearts. Either way, seeing an eleven-year-old who had never lived life like a normal child, and who had to grow up in a place he absolutely despised was thoroughly depressing.

Yet here that child was, almost sixty years on, looking nothing like he did sixty years ago. He stood over me, leering at Malfoy and me on the ground, as if he controlled everything that was below him.

“I feel nothing! Absolutely nothing! Get it through that fragile skull of yours that I…FEEL…NOTHING!!!” I felt that I was overreacting, but it was true that I no longer felt sad at my parents’ death. Their passing (even though I was sad about it for a few days) could only have a limited effect on me “ it shouldn’t have lasted this long. I had told myself time and time again that I had to be strong; that I was a Gryffindor who couldn’t give in to despair. I wasn’t supposed to “ that’s what Gryffindors were like.

“Dear child, you say you feel nothing? One brave enough to say such words is worthy of high power, do you not agree?”

“One who says such words is not worthy of a heart, never mind power!” I said what I was feeling, and that was truly how I felt. The pain that was no longer there had ebbed away into an emotionless wall. I was no longer feeling anything of great happiness, nor of any kind of joy. All that was there was… emptiness.

“Lack of a heart is what makes one omnipotent! I, Lord Voldemort, the greatest wizard in the world, am omnipotent, because I lack a heart. Feelings like love can get you nowhere, Miss Granger, and it would do well for you to remember that.”

“I can love. I’m not like you! You’ve never loved! NEVER!”

“Because I achieved in my life-long goal! That is why I have never loved! Maybe you do love, as you say… and if you do, you very much love your parents.”

“My parents, as you so nicely pointed out, are dead, with thanks to Lucius Malfoy!” The name spat out of my mouth. At this point, Lucius Malfoy was the epitome of evil; never mind Voldemort. The person who killed my parents could only have been the worst person in the world, and to me that was Lucius Malfoy.

My statement seemed to have taken Voldemort by surprise. Only a faint flicker of astonishment crossed those eyes, but it was there; gone as quickly as it had come.

“Lucius Malfoy? He killed your parents? Interesting…”

“Yes! Lucius Malfoy killed my parents! And I will kill him; he knows,” I said, pointing at Malfoy on the ground, “I’ve told him. I will kill his father, because his father killed mine!”

Kill? You, my dear witch, want to kill Lucius Malfoy? Oh, what joy! Killing, my dear, takes hatred beyond all hatred you’ve ever imagined. It takes power. It takes evil!

“Oh I’ll show you evil, VOLDEMORT! You want power, and I’ll show you it. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again “ I WILL KILL LUCIUS MALFOY!”

The son of the mentioned man was stirring beside us. Obviously the Cruciatus curse had not affected him as much as it would have done to me, not that I had ever experienced it. His eyes opened, taking in the scene before him; Hermione Granger, his supposed enemy, and Lord Voldemort, his master, standing less than two feet apart.

“Wh-What’s going on?” he asked, sitting up.

“Miss Granger was telling me, very forcefully, that she would kill your father, Draco. She seems to think she has the necessary evil in her heart to do it. It seems to me that this may be the case; do you not agree, Draco?”

“I beg your pardon? Her,” he pointed at me, “with necessary evil to what?! Her, Mudblood Granger, with necessary evil to KILL my father?!”

“Now, now, Draco, blood should not matter, should it?” he asked with a bigger smirk than Malfoy would have. “After all, what is blood when one has enough power to weaken those without power?”

“What? Blood is everything to you, Voldemort. Don’t you remember? I’m very much beneath you!” He actually seemed to be saying good things about me, defending me against one of his own minions.

“My Lord, what are you saying? You, of all people, taking a Mudblood’s side? Have you forgotten the damage they do to our wizarding lives? That they don’t deserve to live? That they are a disgrace to our world?”

“Of course not. But this little witch…”He moved swiftly behind me and held my neck from behind. “…She is a gifted one; a special one. She has power “ I can sense it. You haven’t seen the hatred she holds for your father.” Even the small mention of that person got me fired up “ I wanted him gone and I wanted it now. “You really are very impatient, aren’t you?”

“I’m a Gryffindor, and I’m Hermione Granger. I don’t give up.”

“A Gryffindor, Granger? Are you quite sure about that? Gryffindors don’t kill, especially if their victim is far more powerful and superior to them.”

“Lucius Malfoy is scum, Malfoy! Get it through that brain of yours! He thinks about nothing but himself “ I doubt he even cares you’re his son!” He flinched. It had seemed to hit him harder than I originally thought.

“You don’t mean that,” he mumbled, shaking quite visibly.

“Yes, Malfoy, I do. How about we call your dear father now, and ask him in person?” I raised my voice to Voldemort’s hearing, since he was behind me. “What do you think, Riddle?” His hand tightened around my neck at the mention of his father “ I rather enjoyed the feeling of having this power, even though it was only small, over Voldemort, just by saying a name.

“Very well, Miss Granger.” His icy breath froze my ear as he whispered, “I would rather you didn’t be rid of him just yet,” so that Malfoy wouldn’t hear. The cold feeling spread to my neck, and into his fingers; it seemed as if he was using something on his arm to call Malfoy Sr. to his side.

My assumptions were soon confirmed. A dark figure had Apparated into the room, right in front of me; its grey eyes glanced at me before turning their attention to their owner’s master.

“Welcome, Lucius.”



A/N: No? Yes? Too far-fetched? Maybe. Well, I tried... By the way, I obviously won't be updating since we can't... so.... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!
Chapter 6 by running_swift
A/N: Hi all! Hope you enjoyed a peaceful and most probably well-deserved break! Please read the A/N at the bottom!



Previously on Crossing Over


“Lucius Malfoy is scum, Malfoy! Get it through that brain of yours! He thinks about nothing but himself “ I doubt he even cares you’re his son!” He flinched. It had seemed to hit him harder than I originally thought.

“You don’t mean that,” he mumbled, shaking quite visibly.

“Yes, Malfoy, I do. How about we call your dear father now, and ask him in person?” I raised my voice to Voldemort’s hearing, since he was behind me. “What do you think, Riddle?” His hand tightened around my neck at the mention of his father “ I rather enjoyed the feeling of having this power, even though it was only small, over Voldemort, just by saying a name.

“Very well, Miss Granger.” His icy breath froze my ear as he whispered, “I would rather you didn’t be rid of him just yet,” so that Malfoy wouldn’t hear. The cold feeling spread to my neck, and into his fingers; it seemed as if he was using something on his arm to call Malfoy Sr. to his side.

My assumptions were soon confirmed. A dark figure had Apparated into the room, right in front of me; its grey eyes glanced at me before turning their attention to their owner’s master.

“Welcome, Lucius.”



Chapter 6

“You called, my Lord?” How ever confused he may have been, he didn’t show it; even I, the all-knowing Hermione Granger, would be confused if I had just Apparated into the apartment of someone I supposedly hated. “Draco, why are you on the floor to your master? Respect, my dear boy, is something I taught you a long time ago.”

“Y-Yes… father.” He gingerly picked himself up off the floor, and stood next to his father, who towered over him. They looked identical, nearly; the only difference being their height and their eyes. Although the same colour, Lucius held no warmth or life in his, yet Draco’s were somewhat warm and cold at the same time.

“Lucius, how pleasant of you to drop by,” said Voldemort, still holding onto my neck; I didn’t really mind, even though his touch was like jumping into the lake in the grounds of Hogwarts.

“Anything for you, my Lord,” he monotonously answered, bowing as low as he possibly could without touching any more of my property; pretty difficult, seeing as how he was breathing the same contaminated air that I was. “May I ask why you summoned me here?”

“Lucius, my faithful servant, what is the most important thing to you in life?”

“To serve you, my Lord, of course,” he said, rising to meet my anything-but-nice gaze.

“Nothing else matters to you, correct?” I stared defiantly back at him, as coldly as I could. I couldn’t let him think that I was scared of him. In truth, I was slightly scared “ scared that he would do that same to me as I thought he had done to my parents.

“That is correct, my Lord. I will do nothing in my life except serve you. I care for nothing else!” My eyes widened in surprise. I was right after all. I just didn’t expect him to admit it. Draco’s face looked somewhat like mine “ surprised, but also angry. Despite this, I could feel a smirk forming on my face.

“Hate to admit I’m right, don’t you?” I whispered. Again, it felt like I had power over him, even though he was supposedly my superior. Whatever this feeling was, I liked it. I liked that my word had almost Draco Malfoy close to crying.

“Yes, I really do.” His eyes roamed mine, then his father’s, who showed no emotion except pride. Snapping his head towards mine, he mouthed Do it. My hand tightened around my wand, and how I wish I could have taken the order from Draco. If only Voldemort wasn’t behind me, watching my every move.

“Miss Granger, remember what I said before. Disobey me and there will be consequences. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Tom,” I seethed, ignoring Lucius’s wide eyes at my use of his master’s name, “I understand perfectly. It would be such a shame for you to lose someone like that, wouldn’t it?” Sarcasm dripped off my mouth, and I could see Draco agreeing with me. I was surprised he hadn’t said anything to his father yet. “Obviously you don’t want that to happen so I suggest you do something about it before I do.”

“If I really must, Miss Granger. Lucius, leave; I will deal with this alone.” The aforementioned man, although looking thoroughly confused, inclined his head slightly towards Voldemort, then Disapparated from the room. “It appears that you both hold hatred for Lucius. Am I correct, Draco?”

“That does seem to be the case,” I interrupted.

“I believe I was asking Draco, Miss Granger,” he smirked, the grip on my neck tightening. He looked at Draco, his chin almost resting on my shoulder. Cold breath numbed my ear, and I shivered involuntarily.

“She… is right, my Lord.” He still seemed too shocked to speak, showing me how different he was compared to Harry and Ron. The latter two, Ron especially, would have immediately launched into an angry tirade, detailing how unfair the treatment that they had received was. I guess I was expecting Draco to do what Harry and Ron would have done… Although that would have meant admitting that he had a nicer side, and he certainly didn’t show it to me, being a Death Eater and all.

“By Salazar, Draco. Admitting the Mudblood was right?” I squirmed under him, trying to get free. I wondered why I hadn’t tried before… temporary memory loss, I expect.

“Bloody hell, Voldemort! Let me go already!” The cold had been spreading through my body like poison, and there was no sign of it disappearing any time soon.

“How lovely the begging sound of a Mudblood is! Do cry more, Miss Granger. It shall only be music to my ears unless you agree to my most generous offer.”

“An offer, Voldemort? You want me, Hermione Granger, to work with you, Tom Riddle? I think not!” What was he playing at “ changing the world?

“Of course, Miss Granger, I wouldn’t think so. But surely you wouldn’t want your intelligence to go to waste in that Gryffindor dump? Think of all the things you could do if you acted like a Slytherin, my dear: roam the castle like the leader you are, and show everyone that you are better than them, because you are. There are better things in life than being told what to do all the time, Miss Granger. I do believe that your idea of killing Lucius was the first of yours which tended to your own needs, rather than anyone else’s.”

“You’re wrong! I’m doing it for my parents!”

“But what good is that if your parents are not here to see you take revenge for their deaths?”

“I’m not doing it for myself! I’m doing it for my parents!” I shouted.

“Yes, Hermione, you’re doing it for your parents.” I didn’t like the way he called me Hermione. Not one bit. It was like Harry calling Malfoy by his first name “ as if that would ever happen. I knew what I was saying was untrue, but the Hermione Granger who used to be afraid of Voldemort’s name would never have wanted to kill someone for her own sake. Indeed, that Hermione Granger inside of me was now telling me that I was being extremely hypocritical “ I had said before that no living human could kill for no reason. But I had a reason “ a very good one too. So yes… I was doing it for myself. All I wanted was to see Lucius Malfoy dead, preferably by my hands. “You see, Miss Granger. I’m right. I’m always right.”

“Fine. I’m doing it for myself. So what? Big deal!” It was then that I realised my mistake. My muscles tensed “ there was no way I could get out of this ‘offer’ “ whatever it was “ that Voldemort was about to make.

“Good, Miss Granger. I have said before, a mind like yours would do well with Slytherin traits. I want to give you an opportunity to be the first to try that out.”

“What makes you think that I will agree to something like that?”

“Oh, my dear, working with Slytherins all the time means being closer to those Slytherins all the time… and I’m sure that there are certain Slytherins you would just love to become more… acquainted with,” he said slyly. It took me a while to fully understand his words. His plan was perfect, and it held no flaws. I could do what I wanted, to whoever I wanted.

“I know what you’re trying to do, and it won’t work!” I thought about the consequences that joining the Death Eaters would have. Joining the Death Eaters? Now there was a terrible thought. I had ever thought about this offer as a chance to join the Death Eaters. “I will never join the Death Eaters!”

He laughed a high, cruel, laugh. “Whoever said anything about joining the Death Eaters? Death Eaters are supposed to be faithful, and do what they are told, unlike young Malfoy here.” His eyes flickered to the blonde-haired Slytherin standing in front of me. “Yes, Draco, I know you didn’t fulfil the task I set, and I’d be more than happy to make you pay for that.” He raised his wand.

“NO!” I screamed. I couldn’t let him kill Draco, whose eyes were wide with fear “ he looked so scared. “Don’t do it! Please, Tom, don’t!”

“Ah. The sweet sounds come to soothe me yet again.” My neck now felt like it was going to burst; the grip with which he was holding it was so strong, I thought that I wouldn’t be able to breathe. “Go to your beloved Draco my dear,” he snarled, and roughly shoved me towards him. I fell, weak, into his arms, thankful for his warmth; it was hard for me not to shiver from the immense cold I felt. Gulping down large amounts of warm air, I turned to face Voldemort, and shook my head at him. “No? Are you sure? You’d do great, you know. I know you’d do great. Draco here would welcome you, wouldn’t you, Draco?” Draco said nothing. I looked up. His eyes were locked on the wand still pointing at him, terrified that it would be used to unleash an abominable curse. “Wouldn’t you, Draco?” he repeated with more menace. His mouth started to open, undoubtedly to release a curse. I panicked, and did the first thing that came to mind “ I stood in front of Draco.

“Don’t! I’ll… I’ll think about it, but only if you promise not to hurt Dr… Malfoy,” I quickly corrected myself. I could feel Draco’s eyes on me, confused as to why I, Hermione Granger was defending him, Draco Malfoy, against his master, Lord Voldemort. The latter’s mouth twisted into a gruesome sneer, and his arm lowered.

“Good, Miss Granger. You will learn that bargaining is the beginning of a route to great success. Now, if you will excuse me, I have some important things to attend to.” He flicked his wand, then Disapparated. My whole body relaxed, and I couldn’t help but feel a tear balance precariously on my bottom eyelid.

“Granger.” His voice was hoarse, filled with confusion and sadness. I turned around to meet his gaze, and shook my head. It was just unfathomable. Here I was, standing at close proximity to Draco Malfoy, and Voldemort had just Disapparated from my apartment. I fell on my knees, shaking uncontrollably.

“Why me?” My voice cracked as the tears began to fall.

“I don’t know. Who knows how his mind works?” he replied. He crouched down, his eyes meeting mine. “All I know is… you saved me.” A hand started to lift my chin up, its thumb wiping away tears. I closed my eyes, nestling my face into his touch.

“It’s not for me… Harry and Ron, they”” I stopped when his lips captured mine in a short kiss. Something inside of me leapt into my throat, both happiness and sadness overcoming every emotion held inside my body. He pulled away slowly, and I opened my eyes in time to see him moving away from me. At the door, he stopped.

“Think about it,” he had said, before disappearing, “just think about it.”



A/N: I’ve had the most trouble writing this chapter; it’s taken me just over half a month, so I’m very very sorry if it’s not up to scratch!
Chapter 7 by running_swift
A/N: Hey everyone! BIG sorry for not updating for so long :( but hope you enjoy this chapter!



Previously on Crossing Over

“Granger.” His voice was hoarse, filled with confusion and sadness. I turned around to meet his gaze, and shook my head. It was just unfathomable. Here I was, standing at close proximity to Draco Malfoy, and Voldemort had just Disapparated from my apartment. I fell on my knees, shaking uncontrollably.

“Why me?” My voice cracked as the tears began to fall.

“I don’t know. Who knows how his mind works?” he replied. He crouched down, his eyes meeting mine. “All I know is… you saved me.” A hand started to lift my chin up, its thumb wiping away tears. I closed my eyes, nestling my face into his touch.

“It’s not for me… Harry and Ron, they”” I stopped when his lips captured mine in a short kiss. Something inside of me leapt into my throat, both happiness and sadness overcoming every emotion held inside my body. He pulled away slowly, and I opened my eyes in time to see him moving away from me. At the door, he stopped.

“Think about it,” he had said, before disappearing, “just think about it.”



Chapter 7

I actually didn’t know what do anymore. I mean, an offer from Voldemort himself to join the Death Eaters? Not that he had said that in so many words, but it was probably what he wanted. And what was with Draco Malfoy kissing Hermione Granger? See, the world was definitely ending!

When Draco had left, I felt rather lost and empty, as if his kiss had filled me with a warmth I hadn’t felt before. My mind was still reeling from the past few hours’ events. If I did do as Voldemort asked, what would happen? Would I just go back to Harry and Ron and pretend that nothing had happened, pretend that I might not be on the light side anymore? At the moment, it was all too much to handle. I got up from the floor, and was about to sit down on my armchair when a tawny brown owl tapping on the window stopped me. Tied to its leg was a small piece of parchment.

Dear Miss Granger,

I must firstly pass on my deepest regrets. The passing of your parents has affected us all, and one can only imagine what you are going through.

I invite you now to 12 Grimmauld Place for the rest of the summer, having felt that enough time has elapsed for your grieving process. Please arrive as soon as you receive this letter.

Minerva McGonagall


Well, there was no way out of this offer either. Both Harry and Ron would come looking for me, Mrs Weasley would fret and fret some more, and Ginny, well, I couldn’t leave her surrounded by boys all summer. That would just be breaking the rules of our friendship “ us girls stuck together through thick and thin. I slowly started to pack my things into my trunk, thinking about the current situation.

How could I face Harry and Ron again after what I told them, or rather, what I didn’t? But I did, somehow. After gathering my belongings together, I had Apparated to the screaming of Mrs Black at 12 Grimmauld Place. I wish I could say that it was nice being back, but I didn’t feel any sort of happiness as I looked around the House of Black. The screaming in my ear had yet to cease, and I couldn’t think with it resounding in the background.

“FILTHY TRAITORS! MUDBLOODS! IT’S DIRT, HOW DARE YOU ENTER””

“SHUT THE HELL UP WOMAN!” Obviously her incessant screaming had pushed me too far, and I hadn’t even been in the house for ten seconds. A short silence followed, in which Harry, Ron, Ginny, Fred and Mrs Black looked at me with shocked expressions.

“HOW DARE A MUDBLODD TALK TO ME LIKE THAT?! GET OUT! OUT!”

“Oh, just do what Hermione told you to, you old hag!” ordered Remus, coming in from the kitchen. He whipped out his wand and proceeded to force the curtains over the portrait.

“Wow, Hermione.” I raised an eyebrow at Ron.

“’Mione!” I inhaled sharply as a small redhead came flying towards me, squeezing me into a hug. I smiled at Harry and Fred over Ginny’s shoulder.

“Hey, everyone,” I whispered into the silence. I didn’t really want to talk to anyone at the moment. The day’s events had fazed me enough. I was pushed backwards and held at arm’s length from Ginny, who looked worriedly into my eyes.

“Are. You. All. Right?” she asked, like I was a five-year-old. The way she said it was hilarious, and I couldn’t help but crack up. Unfortunately, the process had given Mrs. Black’s portrait a chance to do some more screaming.

“Oops.”

---


The next few days at Grimmauld Place were quite peaceful. No one had yet to disturb me, or drag me into a room to ask me if anything was wrong. I woke up one day feeling as thought this would be the day that I finally got confronted. It wasn’t a bad feeling “ I just hoped that I was prepared for whatever was coming my way. Unfortunately, or fortunately “ whichever way one looked at it “ I was right. My trek down to the kitchen for breakfast was disturbed spectacularly by three pairs of hands pulling me into the twins’ room.

“Hermione dear””

“”we’re worried””

“”about you””

“”so if you’d kindly tell us””

“”if anything’s wrong””

“”we’d be more than happy to help!” I blinked a few times to adjust my eyes to the bright colours in the room, then focused them on the three redheads in front of me.

“How very well rehearsed,” I said lightly, smiling at them.

“Oh no, completely spontaneous,” George replied. “We were just discussing the next prank to play on””

“”Ron, when you saw me walking past. Yeah, I know.” Again, they looked surprised. What's with everyone looking surprised around me? “Hey, I can do F'n'G sentences too!” Still they said nothing. “I'm fine, okay? Yes, my parents are dead, but I think I'm dealing with it; I'm coping. I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me. Now can I please get my breakfast?” The twins seemed to be contemplating whether or not to accept my explanation. Ginny, on the other hand, looked completely sceptical and unconvinced.

“That good enough for you, Gred?”

“I don't know, Forge. Gin?”

“Codswallopy balderknickle-dash.”

“Come again?”

“Codswallopy balderknickle-dash. Something's happened and she's not telling, I can tell.” Sometimes I hate how Ginny knows me so well. It's annoying.

“I'm telling you, Gin, I'm fine, nothing happened. How about we go down and eat?” I smiled sweetly at the twins, knowing that their resistance to food was about as small as a needle point. Both the boys nodded and headed out of the room, leaving me and Ginny alone. There was never any use hiding anything from her, but...

“I'll tell you later, Gin, okay? Breakfast calls!” Of course I wouldn't lie to her when I did tell her; I'd just... not tell her everything.

“Ha! You sound like Ron!” she laughed, whilst shoving me down the stairs.

Breakfast was an enjoyable affair for once. Ginny's and the twins' attempts to get me to talk finally worked, and I was able to engage Remus in a conversation about the side-effects of the Wolfsbane Potion if not brewed properly. It was nice to be around everyone again, but I just couldn’t get Voldemort or his offer out of my head. If I did accept, I would be betraying everything that Harry stood for. Sure, I wanted Voldemort dead almost as much as Harry did, but I wanted Lucius dead more, and the only way the latter would happen was to do what Voldemort wanted.

“Hermione?” I snapped my head up at the sound of a voice. Harry was looking at me with an anxious expression from across the table. “You all right?” I smiled at him, thankful that at least he, if not Ron, had noticed that something was wrong. He relaxed at my nod, and went back to talking with Ron and Charlie, undoubtedly about Quidditch.

I decided to abandon the kitchen and go back to one of my favourite past-times “ reading. The library here was just magnificent “ rows upon rows of shelves were filled with books unimaginable “ perfect for a little bit of light reading.

What was there to read though? I’d already read all my school books “ that is, if we were even going back… the Horcruxes! Of course! Harry had already given us as much information as he could, from what he had learnt with Dumbledore. Professor Slughorn’s memory had also served as useful, and since we had finished school early after Dumbledore’s funeral, there had been no time for research. Ah, research “ a wonderful thing.

It wasn’t easy “ if the subject was banned at Hogwarts, who knew what I would “ or wouldn’t “ find here? Yes, this was the House of Black, a family of Dark pure-blooded wizards, but we had cleared out many of the Dark things during our previous summer stays. See, it’s not really that useful to get rid of something you might need in the future.

At least three hours had passed “ by which time I had read only three books “ when I heard footsteps, the owner of which cast a shadow over the 437th page of ‘The Devil’s Sacrifice of Omens’.

“Having fun there, Hermione?” Harry’s voice sounded from above me. It was happy and optimistic, in a somewhat forced way. Why he was being so happy confused me “ did he not have to grieve for Dumbledore? After all, he was the closest thing he had to a grandfather.

I looked up at him, curiosity burning in my eyes. He smiled, as if knowing my thoughts. “No use crying, is there? If you’re not going to cry over your parents, I’m not going to cry for Dumbledore.” It was difficult not to pity him, but I didn’t want to. It was, after all, his choice. I motioned for him to sit down.

“Wish Voldemort had chosen something different from Horcruxes. I’ve never had a harder time researching something that there’s so little information on.” I flicked meekly through the pages of the old textbook.

“True. I’ve done it a lot already “ spend half my time in here now. Ron and Gin think I’ve gone mad,” he chuckled.

“You, in the library? Meh, always a first for something!”

“Hey! I went to the library to research Nicholas Flamel!”

“Harry, that was in first year. Anyway, shouldn’t we do some more reading?” He sighed, defeated in his attempt to strike up a conversation. “Have you thought about searching for the other Horcruxes?” I asked, whilst sliding the book back onto its shelf.

“Yeah, McGonagall says I should start soon. It’s why I’ve been doing all this research.”

“Oh. Mind if I come along?” I fingered the dust off ‘Being(s) Immortal’, the gold ‘s’ lettering fading to black.

“Not at all, not at all. Mind leaving Ron behind?” Hr cracked a grin. It turned quickly into a frown as the door shot open. There, in the doorway, stood an irate-looking Ron.

A/N: Hi again! Maybe the ending was a bit… off, but please please let me know! :D
Chapter 8 by running_swift
A/N: Hey all! Sincere apologies for not updating sooner “ lots of work to be done. I shan’t delay you further from reading! Ooh, wait, one more thing, there shall be a single use of profanity in this chapter!



Previously on Crossing Over


“Have you thought about searching for the other Horcruxes?” I asked, whilst sliding the book back onto its shelf.

“Yeah, McGonagall says I should start soon. It’s why I’ve been doing all this research.”

“Oh. Mind if I come along?” I fingered the dust off ‘Being(s) Immortal’, the gold ‘s’ lettering fading to black.

“Not at all, not at all. Mind leaving Ron behind?” Hr cracked a grin. It turned quickly into a frown as the door shot open. There, in the doorway, stood an irate-looking Ron.



Chapter 8

“Ron!” I smiled at him, glad that I was able to talk to him for the first time since Dumbledore had died. He had so far respected my wishes to be alone, even though we still “ I hoped “ harboured feelings for each other.

“So that’s what you think, is it? You’re gonna leave me behind? Just like that?” His face was contorted into a horrific sneer, hatred etched into his normally soft features. “Is that what you think of me? That I’m some worthless piece of… Merlin knows what?!”

“Ron, mate, I was just joking! Take a joke!” Harry exclaimed, alarmed that his friend could take something so seriously.

“Oh, joking, were you? I’m a joke now, am I? Can’t take me seriously, can you?” His voice rose with each word, and his cheeks started to flush the infamous Weasley red. I didn’t know what was wrong with him. Yes, Ron could overreact sometimes, but Harry had told him he was joking, so why was he getting so worked up?

“Ron! We didn’t say that! Harry was just joking!”

“Yes! I know that! But it’s the thought of it! How could you,” he raged on, rounding on Harry, “even say something like that?!” I looked at Harry, who was looking thoroughly terrified of his best friend.

“Ron, I d-didn’t mean to””

“YES YOU DID!” With that, Ron stormed out of the library, slamming the door behind him, and rattling the shelves in the process. Dust settled lightly on our heads whilst I turned, shocked, towards Harry. His bright emerald eyes were wide and unreadable.

“Well, let’s get back to this, shall we?” I blurted out into the silence. He nodded his head slowly, and went back to reading ‘Cry of the Devil’, even though I could tell his mind wasn’t on research. Only a few uncomfortable minutes had passed when the door opened again, this time more gently. Ginny poked her head into the room, carrying a tray of food.

“Mum thought you might get hungry,” she said, setting the tray down on a nearby table. She forced a weak smile at Harry, who immediately paled, and sat beside me, picking up a stray book from the floor. “Research going well, then?” Her eyes darted between me and Harry.

“Yep, absolutely great!” I grinned enthusiastically, trying to encourage Harry to say something.

“Um… Hermione? Can I talk to you… about that thing we were talking about before?” Ginny shifted awkwardly in her seat, and I felt Harry’s curious eyes trying to stare me down.

“Err… Ginny, I’m kinda busy at the moment, how about we go out tomorrow?” I smiled sweetly at her, willing her to leave the room.

“Fine,” she sighed. She put the book down and stood to leave, giving us both one contemptuous look before going through the door. Harry glanced quickly at me before returning to reading his book. I sat in stillness for a while, before a voice broke through my train of thoughts.

“What was that about, Hermione? The ‘thing’ that Ginny wanted to talk to you about?” He sounded so suspicious. Of course, he had every right to be, but still “ I was his best friend!

“Oh... erm... girl stuff, y'know... Boys.” I smiled inwardly at my ingenious cover-up; Harry wasn't interested in my love life at all... Well, not since Viktor anyway. He huffed, muttered something that sounded very much like 'girls', and stood up.

“Well, I'm hungry! Food?” He grinned at me, and my eyes rolled. Honestly, boys think with their stomachs sometimes!

---


Again, the days flew by. Each one of them was never complete unless Ginny was pestering me to tell her what I promised to. Every time she did, I would wave her off, saying that I had to research the Horcruxes, and therefore had no time to spend with her, which, in a way, was true. I used every day to research with Harry, and that was that. Well, until I finally gave in to Ginny's persistence. She caught me one day taking a break from all the reading, and took the opportunity to accost me.

“Come on, Hermione! You can't keep blowing me off like this!” She had those round, pleading eyes that she used on Ron whenever she wanted something from him.

“Gin, no. I have things to do!”

“You don’t look like it! Please, we’ll just go down to Madam Deran’s for a coffee, where we can””

“Deran’s? That’s in Diagon Alley!”

“Yeah. So? You’ve passed your Apparition test!” She looked at me like I had lost my mind.

“B-But…”

“No buts, Hermione, let’s go!” She gripped tightly onto my arm and looked puppy-like up at me. Sighing, I closed my eyes, focused on getting both Ginny and me into The Leaky Cauldron, and Apparated there. Musky smells filled my nostrils, and I took in the dimly lit room. Things hadn’t been the same here since last year. My eyes lingered on my favourite chair in the corner before I felt an arm pulling me towards the entrance of Diagon Alley. I let my feet drag me across the floor, and soon I was stood outside the stone wall, staring blankly at the cold pattern in front of me.

“Hermione! Wand!”

“What? Oh…” I slipped my wand out of my back pocket “ Mad-Eye’s words never did sink in. wearily, I tapped on the stones and watched as the blocks began to slide apart. I was pulled, quite unwillingly, towards Madam Deran’s, the must-go café which sold the most gorgeous frappucinos. The multi-coloured exterior gently flashed the new summer fruit flavours on sale at the moment.

I was sat at a table near the back whilst Ginny bought the drinks. Looking around, I saw no familiar faces, and contented myself with playing with my hands.

“You all right, Hermione?”

“What?” I jerked my head up, startled. “Er… yeah, I’m fine.” I held my head in my hands for a while, and, seeing the French-vanilla coffee in front of me, gulped down a large amount. Instantly feeling better, I smiled at Ginny.

“So… tell me!” And I did “ leaving out the part about Voldemort. She only needed to know what she had to, and that was that Draco Malfoy had said ‘sorry’ to a Mudblood, told her that his father killed her parents, spent about three hours talking to said Mudblood, ‘kissed’ her, and disappeared. I even said so in so many words; Ginny kept pressing me for detail… about the ‘kiss’.

“Ginny! It wasn’t even a kiss! It was more like a long peck on the lips!”

She furiously slammed her palms onto the small, round table, attracting the attention of several nearby tables, leaned forward, and heatedly whispered, “His lips were touching yours for more than a second! I think that constitutes as a kiss!” Her eyes burned with determination as they looked straight into mine.

“Look, Gin, whatever it was, I don’t care! I have more things to worry about then Draco Malfoy supposedly ‘kissing’ me, all right?”

Shocked, she whispered, “Sorry,” before sinking back into her chair.

The rest of the afternoon at Madam Deran’s was spent discussing Ginny’s impending feelings toward Harry. I knew, unfortunately, that he still had strong feelings for Ginny, and it was these feelings that had forced him to give up his place in their relationship.

The conversation ran well until my parents came up. I had not thought about trying to miss them since my arrival at Grimmauld Place. It was the first time that they had been mentioned, and I guess I should have felt somewhat sad… and I did. I wasn’t supposed to, really. I mean, I was a Gryffindor, so I should have been strong enough to stand through this.

Tears formed at the back of my eyes, and I could see the blurred outline of Ginny reaching over the table to comfort me. She really knew how to make someone feel better, and for that, I was glad.

“Oh, Hermione…” She got up and I moved up on the armchair so that she could squish next to me. Comforting arms encircled my shoulders, and I cried openly into them. For a while, we just sat there silently. There was no longer any chatter around us “ those who had been here had left, and any who had come in whilst we were here had come and gone.

I looked around: the colourful armchairs; the wooden tables; the flashing window that could only be seen from the outside. The outside was just as calming. Bright summer sunshine streamed through the glass, and a variety of magical beings milled around the Alley. I stared blankly outside, unmoving, until I saw something that made my breath stop in my throat. Two flashes of blonde had just turned out of Knockturn Alley, both carrying large, black boxes. I pushed Ginny away, fear projected in my eyes.

“What? What’s wrong?”

I furiously shook my head, the tears returning. “Go… we’ve got to go. Now!”

“What, Hermione, what’s wrong?”

I rattled her shoulders. “Gin, we’ve gotta go!” I pulled her arm towards the exit, desperate to get away from Diagon Alley “ desperate to get away from the two people I wanted to avoid the most. “Come on, Gin, we’ve gotta go!”

“Hermione! Tell me what’s wrong!”

“No, Gin, I””

“I’m not going until you tell me what’s wrong!”

“Ginny, please, let’s go, please, I can’t see them, I can’t””

“Who? Hermione, who?”

“Them! I can’t see them now! They’re not…” I faltered at the sight of the two shadows that had fallen in front of us. I stopped in mid-stride and slowly looked up.

“Good afternoon, Miss Granger.”

My eyes locked with Draco’s, and I felt a lump rise in my throat. He stood wearily next to his father, both now empty-handed. Stormy grey eyes frowned softly at mine, a feeling of pity emanating from them.

“I said, good afternoon, Miss Granger.”

I merely nodded my head, saying clearly, “Lucius.” I didn’t want to be here, not now. I bit my tongue “ it was all I could do stop myself from throwing myself at him and beating him lifeless.

“What a pleasure to see you here,” he drawled.

“I’m glad I can’t say the same.” I smiled deftly up at him. “Unfortunately, we must depart. Good day to you, Malfoy.” I swept past him, still dragging Ginny by the arm. Tears rolled down my face and upon turning a corner, I was pulled to a stop and turned around, where I was immediately enveloped into a hug, sobs wracking my body.

“Shush, Hermione. You don’t want the whole of Diagon Alley seeing you like this.” She firmly rubbed my back, and continued, “Come on, let’s go.” We started walking towards The Leaky Cauldron, a comforting arm surrounding my shoulders.

It wasn’t long before I noticed the footsteps that were following us. I stopped, acutely aware of the danger we could be in. “Gin, keep walking,” I whispered to her. “When we turn that corner, keep moving, okay?” She nodded her head slightly, and did what I said, whilst I ducked into the gap between the stationery shop and Quality Quidditch Supplies. I gasped as Draco Malfoy passed by me, and I reached out to grab him.

“What the””

“You! What were you following us for?”

“I””

“This better be good, Malfoy. I am not in the mood for games.”

He paused, seeming to contemplate his next move. “You’ve been crying,” he stated.

I looked blankly at him before sighing. “No shit, Sherlock,” I muttered.

“Sherlock? Oh, Holmes. Great wizard, he was…”

“What do you want, Malfoy?”

“Well, I wanted to get away from that thing I call a father, but really, I don’t want anything.”

I stared at him, confused.

“However, the Dark Lord wants me to Apparate you to him, so that””

“What! No, I’m with Gin!”

“Damn it, Mudblood, I didn’t kiss you for nothing!”

If confusion was the first step to knowledge, I must have been a genius standing there. He looked incredulously at me, and relaxed his body muscles.

“Jeez, and I thought you were the smartest witch of your age…”

“Fine, Malfoy, take me to Voldemort “ the sooner I can get away from you the better!” Only then had I realised that there was hardly any distance between us, not even an inch. I looked into his eyes, searching for an answer to our proximity. He grinned, and I felt myself being Side-Along Apparated without warning.

My knees buckled beneath me as I experienced the after-effects of Side-Along Apparition. A black cloak glided its way towards my weakened form, and a wand raised my chin.

“Look at me, Miss Granger.”

I kept my eyes closed, refusing to look into the red slits that were his eyes.

“I said look at me. Imperio!

Immediately I felt bliss for the second time in my life, and a voice telling me to “face my new master…” Yes, I opened my eyes, but my new master? No way in hell. He lifted the spell and I again felt the seriousness of the situation.

I had seen Lucius again, twice in the two weeks, and just the sight of the blonde man was enough to make my anger boil. He had done one of the things that I had dreaded as a child, and I wouldn’t forgive him.

“Miss Granger, I believe you have something to tell me,” Voldemort said in a sly voice. I thought about my decision. All the questions that I had asked myself before came flowing back into my head, but all I wanted was to push them aside. I wouldn’t have to care about what Harry or Ron thought about me, because they wouldn’t have to know. I looked up at Voldemort, masses of emotion spilling from my eyes. I didn’t want to, but I had to.

“I accept your offer.”



A/N: *Did not mean to put a cliffy.* Sorry! Please tell me what you think! Thank you!