Fighting the Christmas Blues by Cinderella Angelina
Summary: It's Christmastime, but it doesn't seem very cheery at Hogwarts. Seamus is walking down a dismal hallway, lost in his depression, when he runs into someone--literally. Will he be able to have a happy Christmas?
Written for the December/Christmas/Winter Snows Challenge 2005.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 895 Read: 1490 Published: 12/03/05 Updated: 12/03/05

1. The Last Chapter of this Tale by Cinderella Angelina

The Last Chapter of this Tale by Cinderella Angelina
Written for Challenge Three in the Winter Snows Challenge–A Kiss For the Ages by Cinderella Angelina, Hufflepuff

Even though it was a week before Christmas, Seamus couldn’t help but feel blue. His mam had wanted him to stay at Hogwarts because she thought it would be too dangerous to travel. He supposed that she was justified–it was very frightening in the world these days. He’d been tempted to Apparate home, but with the way his mother was these days, she would insist he go back to Hogwarts–without good wishes or presents. But he still wished that he could go home, rather than stay in this lonely castle.

For the first time in about seven years, Seamus slept alone. Dean had been allowed to go home for the holidays–Seamus hoped with all his heart that he would return safely. Harry and Ron hadn’t even returned to Hogwarts at all–he supposed they were off hunting Voldemort. Even though Harry hadn’t been Seamus’ favorite person–their contention during fifth year, not to mention not making the Quidditch team, would prevent them from ever becoming good friends–Seamus still missed having him and Ron around, and even found himself worrying for their safety.

And Neville was gone. When the Death Eaters had attacked Hogwarts the day after Halloween, Neville had bravely protected everyone in range, sacrificing his own life when Bellatrix Lestrange hurled a curse that finally felled him. Seamus couldn’t believe how restless he was these nights because of the lack of Neville’s comforting snores. Seamus’ nose started to itch with sadness, and he was about to sink into his now-familiar depression when–

“Ouch! Oh . . . Seamus . . .”

“Lavender.”

As Seamus looked at his fellow Gryffindor, he saw that she looked as down as he felt. Her eyes sparkled with tears that couldn’t be due to their collision, although she did rub her nose a bit.

“Sorry about that. Are you okay?” he asked, putting a tentative hand on her shoulder, but when Lavender remained stiff and unresponsive, he dropped it.

“Well,” Lavender began with a trace of a sob, “that didn’t hurt,” she replied. “At least,” she muttered.

Seamus realized that Lavender was also alone in her dormitory. Hermione had gone off with Ron and Harry, and Parvati . . . Seamus didn’t know the details, but a family tragedy had occurred and on her way home she and Padma had been attacked. Lavender probably felt like she was alone in the world–on top of losing her best friend, she’d received information just before holidays that her parents had disappeared, which would explain why she remained at Hogwarts, and why she looked so incredibly miserable. Seamus glanced at her, saw that she’d shut her eyes against the tears that threatened to flow anew, and quickly glanced away.

His nose itching again, Seamus looked around and saw a small sprig of mistletoe directly above them, looking rather out of place in the otherwise dismal hallway. Even though the Great Hall and even the common rooms looked festive, this area of the castle didn’t seem to have been visited by either the caretaker or the prefects–except for this.

Something suddenly melted within Seamus, and he felt something toward Lavender he hadn’t felt since the night of the Yule Ball three years ago. “Lavender,” he began, then cleared his throat nervously–this wasn’t in his comfort zone, he didn’t know if this would go the way he planned. “Stand perfectly still and don’t be alarmed,” he told her. Her eyes still closed, she docilely obliged, too overcome with depression to question.

And Seamus kissed her.

Lavender’s eyes flew open with such force that tears splattered all over. “What was that for?” she said, unable to restrain a small smile, and her face almost felt like cracking with the first smile she’d worn in what felt like months–or years.

Seamus glanced up at the mistletoe, then took her hand. “Do you remember the Yule Ball? How I–” he paused in abashment–“shook your hand good night?”

Lavender nodded, raising her eyebrow with a slightly amused look on her face.

“Well . . . that night, there was no mistletoe to help. And I regretted it for months afterward, because . . .” he paused again, not embarrassed so much as nervous about what he was going to say next, “because I really liked you. I really like you now. I think . . . I think we would have been happy together.”

Lavender raised a soft hand to his cheek. “There’s still time, Seamus. Even though there’s sadness and pain all around, the two of us can still find joy in each other.”

Seamus smiled and put his hand on top of hers, bringing it down. He now held both of her hands in his. And it felt right.

“Oh, and Seamus?” Lavender said. Before Seamus could reply, she reached up and kissed him. When she finally pulled away, she murmured, “Thank you.”

He couldn’t keep the silly grin from his face as he replied, “You’re welcome.” He slid his arm around her and they began to walk toward Gryffindor common room together. “After all,” he said, “neither of us deserve to be alone for Christmas.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=38556