King's Cross by coraskitten
Summary: It's the end of Ginny's sixth year and on the way home on the Hogwarts Express, she sees the Dark Mark hanging over the station. How does she react? What will she do?
Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2849 Read: 1728 Published: 12/04/05 Updated: 12/04/05

1. one shot by coraskitten

one shot by coraskitten
King's Cross

Ginny pressed her head against the window on the Hogwarts Express. I wonder what they’re up to? Her thoughts this past year kept drifting back to Harry, Ron and Hermione. All year they were in and out of school, never really telling her where they were going or what was going on outside her little world that was Hogwarts. They had managed to come back for their NEWTS (Hermione’s orders, of course) but had left again the day after all the exams were over with. They hadn’t been back since. Now, on the way home after her sixth year, Ginny felt a sense of dread come over her. She had never felt like this before this year. She had figured that the three were off doing something to do with the war all year but never really worried about it till now. She wasn’t looking forward to another summer like last year where Harry never really talked to her. She understood why, but it still hurt. The only thing that helped was seeing the look in Harry’s eyes every time they came by to say goodbye. It hurts him, too, she thought. She was too proud, too strong to break down. She was glad to help in the small ways they allowed her. She chuckled, remembering the odd things Hermione would ask her to research in the library. This past year she joined the ranks of the few students brave enough to read Hogwarts, A History. Why did they need to know the intricate details of Rowena Ravenclaw’s life? Who knows. If she could just get through this summer without making a fool of herself in front of Harry…

“Ginny!”

“What! Oh, hi Luna.” Ginny snapped out of her thoughts to see that Luna had just entered the compartment that she and Neville had been sharing. Luna actually looked flustered. Something was not right.

“Look! The station! It must be under attack.”

Ginny went over the other side of the train to look out the window Luna was pointing at. The Dark Mark was high in the sky above it. Neville came and was standing behind her. Ginny felt as though every muscle in her body froze in place.

~~~~~~~

It was Bill and Fleur’s wedding and she had retreated into the house away from all the dancing. She had danced with all the men in her family and decided that having her toes tread upon by Ron was the final straw. She didn’t want to stay outside and risk having her heart torn again if Harry asked her to dance. She sat down in the parlor and was talking to some distant relatives when Hermione came in.

“Ginny, could you come over here?” she asked.

Ginny got up and walked over to Hermione.

“Ron and I are leaving with Harry tomorrow,” Hermione stated bluntly.

“Why? Where are you going?”

“Oh, just some stuff for the Order. We will stop by Godric’s Hollow though…just a sentimental trip, you know. But that’s not really why I need to talk to you. I…you see…it’s Harry. I don’t know what to do with him. He’s so calm, it’s weird. He’s not showing any emotion at all. He’ll laugh at the right times and all but he seems so…distant. I know he talked to you after the funeral. I just want to know…?”

“What happened?”

“Yeah…”

“He grew up. All I know is that something happened while he was with Dumbledore and we were fighting off the Death Eaters that made him realize that he had to focus on beating You-Know-Who and…grow up.”

Hermione was quiet at this, looking as though she knew all along why Harry was acting this way, but needed a second opinion. “The two of you aren’t an item anymore, are you?” she asked, “Because he grew up? Because he didn’t want anything to get in the way of his mission?”

Ginny looked at her and could feel the tears battling their way to the surface,
I must stay strong, she thought. “Yeah, basically.” Harry had obviously not told Ron and Hermione the real reason; therefore, Ginny wasn’t going to say anything otherwise.

“All right. Well, everyone’s asking where you went, so do come back out in a bit, ok? I think there’s going to be a bit of a Quidditch match later.”

“Yeah, I take it you’ll leave the flying to the men? It’ll be interesting watching Harry have some real competition against Viktor as seeker.” Ginny said, trying to get a blush out of Hermione. She succeeded.

“Yeah.”

~~~~~~~

As Ginny snapped back to the present, she noticed that Neville had gone off to alert those who were still around from the days of the D.A. Stay strong, just stay strong. She began to pace the compartment, anxiously waiting for the train to arrive at the station. After several tense minutes, they had arrived. Those that Neville had round up were now looking at Ginny, Luna, and Neville expectantly.

“Alright, you know the drill. Keep your eyes and ears open, pay attention to those around you, and dodge everything you can’t block, and try to keep the younger students safe.” Ginny said, taking control.

They opened the door to the station and saw…nothing. No one was around. They cautiously got off and looked around. It appeared that none of the other students in the other parts of the train were getting off. They had all seen the Dark Mark and were waiting on someone to give the all clear before exiting the train. Ginny sighed in relief. Nobody to protect, then. They all looked at each other, then at the portal to the Muggle world. The battle was over there. Wands at the ready, they ran at the wall. They arrived at King’s Cross to discover pure chaos. There were Order members and Death Eaters everywhere, there also appeared to be Muggle soldiers coming as well. The students dispersed, dodging behind posts and benches. Ginny, in her haste to get closer the action, (and therefore, Harry) flung herself behind a column, only to find the space already occupied.

“What the hell? I thought we got all civilians out of here?” the man exclaimed. “Stay low, I’ll cover you until someone comes by to get you out of here.”

The man Ginny had crashed into was one of the Muggle soldiers, and seemed to be in charge.

“I’m here to help”

“How old are you? I think not.”

“Oh really?” Ginny at that moment saw someone in all black robes come up behind the soldier. She promptly sent one of her more elaborate Bat-Bogey Hexes over the man’s shoulder. He turned, saw the effect the curse had, and grinned in disbelief.

“Alrighty, point taken. Sergeant Broyles.” He held out his hand.

“Ginny” she said, shaking his hand.

They then went to work, she with her wand, and he with his gun. She discovered that he and his men were trying to figure out which side was the side causing trouble and which side to help. They had already figured out that if they came across someone who seemed to be scared out of their mind, they were not involved and needed to get out of the way. She informed them that, for the most part, anyone in black with their face covered was fair game.

Ginny still had yet to find where Ron, Hermione, and Harry were, but she could see some of the D.A. doing quite well against the Death Eaters. She motioned to the soldier that she was going in closer to what sounded like the main area of fighting on the main concourse of the station. He looked at her incredulously and followed.

“You’re crazy. You know that, right?” Ginny just laughed in response, completely cool under the stress and the noise.

They wound their way up to the main level and Ginny quickly found her three friends. Harry, of course, was flinging curses every which way towards Voldemort in the middle of the room while Ron and Hermione were waging their own battles off to the sides. She lost track of time as she sent various hexes and spells every which way.

BOOM!

A loud sound went off as an explosion completely obliterated the three Death Eaters that had been up against a badly injured Tonks. Ginny whirled around and saw Sergeant Broyles smirk.

“Nothing like throwing a grenade to let a man know he’s alive” he joked.

All of a sudden, the entire room lit up in a multi-coloured array of light.

~~~~~~~

It was Halloween at Hogwarts and Ginny was sitting in the Great Hall during lunch. She wasn’t paying much attention to her food. Instead she was busy finishing a potions essay for Prof. Slughorn. She also wasn’t looking forward to the “Slug Club” party that night. There was some commotion down at the other end of the table, but she didn’t really care to find out what was going on.

“Ginny!” That is, until she heard her name called.

She looked up to see her brother running up to her with Hermione hot on his heels. Harry, however went over to the Head Table.

“Hey, how’s my favourite little sister?” Ron smiled.

Ginny stood up to give them both hugs. “Ron, I’m your only sister. Where have you all been? Never mind, you won’t tell me anyways.”

Hermione responded by snorting and rolling her eyes. “You know us too well,” she laughed.

“Have you eaten? Sit down and tell me what you can.”

“Not much,” Ron replied, “We’ve been partially successful on the mission so far, so things are going well in that respect.” He then started to pile a plate full of food.

“Hermione, are you not feeding him?” Ginny asked in disbelief at the portions on his plate.

“Well, actually I haven’t been the one doing the cooking lately. That job has fallen to Ron by default.” Hermione laughed.

Ginny shook her head and changed the subject. “Why are you here?”

“Just a break from it all. We were getting a little lonely.” Ron joked. “No, we were led back here on our search. Now, where has Harry gotten to?” They looked around.

Harry was up at the Head table talking to Prof. McGonagall. He glanced at them and made eye contact with Ginny. She had to fight to keep any emotion from showing on her face. As she looked away she saw that it was almost time for her next class.

“I really need to get to class. How long are you going to be here?”

“We’re leaving before dinner. I’ll walk you to your next class.”

“Thanks Ron, good to know that you can be pulled away from the table every once in a while.” Ginny laughed sadly, gathering her things. She gave Hermione another hug and whispered in her ear, “Take care of them, guys can’t live without us, you know.” Hermione just smiled.

Ginny and Ron walked down the halls silently. She felt that he wanted to talk to her about something. She stopped at looked at him expectantly.

“What is it?” she asked.

“He still loves you.” Ron caught her completely off guard. “He woke up with a nightmare a few nights ago. He was calling out your name in his sleep. He told me that he called things off with you to keep you safe.”

Ginny had to lean against the hard stone wall to wait for things to sink in. Ron continued.

“He shouldn’t have done that. I know you. You can take care of yourself against the Death Eaters. I’ve seen you. Not that I’m not glad you’re safe here, it’s just that he should give you a little more credit.”

“He wasn’t only worried about me; he was worried about the two of you as well. I figure if you two are forcing him to let you accompany him, I’ll let him leave me at home. I’m not ready to fight like you are. I don’t want him to be weakened by me.” Ginny shot back. She stalked off into the classroom.

~~~~~~~

Ginny turned her head to see where the light was coming from. Harry. He and Voldemort had their wands locked. All of a sudden, Voldemort fell to the ground in a heap. No one else seemed to notice. You’d think his Death Eaters would notice he’s dead. Maybe have their Mark hurt. Harry looked down at him, then turned. Ginny saw him recognize her, and begin running. She stood up to greet him, only to feel strong, cold arms wrap around her. Someone’s wand was at her throat. She looked out of the corner of her eye and saw Bellatrix Lestrange. Harry’s worst fear had been realized. She was caught by a Death Eater. Ginny, for the first time that day was scared for her life.

“Not a step further. I take it this is your bitch? When the Dark Lord sees that I have her, he will be very pleased.”

“No he won’t. He’s dead.” Harry retorted.

“What do you mean?” Lestrange then saw the body. Her scream was deafening. The silence that followed was just as terrible. Ginny felt her loosen her grip and fall. As she turned, she saw Malfoy lower his wand. He had killed the insane woman. All the living Death Eaters then lowered their wands. They know that they were done. Ginny just stood there in shock at what happened. She felt Harry’s arms encircle her and collapsed into him. She was glad for the safety that seemed to radiate from his body. No one could hurt them now.

“It’s ok; everything will be alright, love.” Ginny felt him kiss her temple. She moved her head so that she could see him.

“Good to have you back.” Ginny then reached a hand up to his cheek and pulled him in for a more welcoming kiss.

The world revolved around them for the briefest of moments, however. Ron came running towards them, calling their names. As they turned, they saw that he was white in the face.

“Hermione! She…her parents…” Ron was flustered and could barely speak.

Harry and Ginny ran after Ron, fearing the worst.

They finally caught up to him and saw Hermione slumped over what appeared to be her parents. Ginny realized that they hadn’t told her parents not to show up at the station to welcome her home after the end of the school term. Ginny knelt beside her and wrapped her arms around the hysterical girl. Harry and Ron helped her bring Hermione away from the bodies and they Apparated the girls to a house Ginny had never seen. Ron took Hermione inside. Harry took Ginny’s hand and pulled her back. He seemed very nervous.

“This is where we’ve been staying some of the past year,” Harry explained, “This is my parents’ old house”rebuilt, of course.”

“It’s beautiful” Ginny breathed. The house was built out of a white stone and was easily four stories tall. The gardens were full of flowers in full bloom.

“It can be your home too, if you like.” Harry was looking sheepishly down at his feet.

“But what…my mother…the Burrow…” Ginny was stuttering in disbelief. Me? Live with Harry? Mother would have kittens.

“Marry me.” Harry interrupted her thoughts. He brushed his fingers along her jaw, raising her face to look at him. She saw that he was now confident and patiently waiting for her answer. He then pulled a small box out of his pocket. “I’ve never been as proud of you as I am today. I just wish that you could have been here all along. It’s a pity that this turned out to be such a bittersweet victory.”

He opened the box. Ginny saw the most gorgeous ring she had ever seen. She took the box as he took the ring and slid it onto her finger. While admiring the ring, she dropped the box into the pocket of her robes. Ginny smiled. She laughed and took Harry’s hands in hers and twirled the two of them around, dancing in the garden. “Of course I will.” His bright green eyes seemed to sparkle.

He kissed her. As they drew apart at last, Harry whispered those three words she had been longing to hear this past year.

“I love you.”



A/N The only thing that's mine here is the plot. The soldier? He's real. The grenade quote? Real. Please R&R!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=38754