Moments of His Life by LilMissGranger
Summary: This is the story of the adventures of Lily and James Potter as they watch their son grow up from afar, only allowed these small moments....
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 9226 Read: 22298 Published: 12/09/05 Updated: 09/14/09

1. Godric's Hollow. Halloween. 1981 by LilMissGranger

2. Prologue: The Journey Begins by LilMissGranger

3. On the Road to Heaven by LilMissGranger

4. The Choice by LilMissGranger

5. Reunions and Remembrances by LilMissGranger

6. It's Been...A Year? by LilMissGranger

7. Chapter 7 by LilMissGranger

Godric's Hollow. Halloween. 1981 by LilMissGranger
Disclaimer: The characters within my story are not mine. Unfortunately, JK thought of them before me.

A/N: This is my first fic ever, so please be nice! Beginning may be a bit boring for some of you, but it gets better as it evolves, I promise.


Moments of His Life

Godric’s Hollow. Halloween night. 1981.

“Man, poor kid having to stay inside ‘in hiding’ on Halloween and not go trick-or-treating,” sighed James Potter as he tossed his one-year old son up in the air. Baby Harry just gurgled happily, while his mother Lily looked on.

He’s the spitting image of his father, she thought, only with my green eyes, I know James loves that. Aloud she said, “Well, he’ll have plenty other Halloweens, and he doesn’t even know what he’s missing.”

“Yeah, but I know what I’m missing!” James chuckled. “Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. I used to be a master prankster of sorts.”

“Still are,” Lily teased.

“How could you say such a thing? You think I, a noble, mature, brave Potter would still be a prankster at my age?” James said in a mock hurt voice.

“Yup. And at the moment, swinging Harry in circles around my living room is not exactly the definition of a very responsible parent. And I don’t think you’re making Harry happy by making him dizzy.”

“Au contraire, mademoiselle. Ickle Harrykins is having the time of his life!”

Indeed, little one year old Harry bounced around happily, albeit slightly cross-eyed, as James plopped down with him onto the couch next to Lily.

“Ah, do you remember my Halloween prank in sixth year when I transfigured your head into a talking pumpkin?” James asked of his Lily.

“Yes, I never figured out how you did that!” she said as she laughed merrily. “And I seem to remember that I proceeded to pull out all of my seeds and smash them on your head before transfiguring your arms into bat wings. And you thought I was such an innocent little angel!”

“Well that’s because you are,” and he planted a quick kiss on her lips, “I love you Lily,”

“I lo”“

BOOM!

Something crashed and maniacal laughter filled the foyer of their house.

“Oh God…James…Harry…Pettigrew, he…what are we…”sputtered Lily, completely taken aback by the sudden attack.

James paled as he heard the subsequent bangs of Lord Voldemort searching the front room of their small cottage. The living room was in the very back, but it would take mere moments to get there. James grabbed her shoulders, looked her in the eye, and whispered, “Remember our plan. I will come meet you when I’m through with him.” Lily handed him Harry for James to hug.

“No James!” Lily whispered fiercely. “Now that it’s happening I can’t leave you here alone with him!”

CRASH.

The big oak French doors to the living room burst open, and there he stood, Lord Voldemort.

Panicking for a moment, James shouted as he shoved Harry back in Lily’s arms, “Lily, take Harry and go! It’s him! Go! Run! I’ll hold him off!”*

Lily, sobbing, grasped Harry tightly and ran from the room screaming, “I love you James!”

Up the stairs and into Harry’s bedroom, Lily had never gotten there faster, not even when Harry had had a fever, or the first night back from the hospital when she heard him cry in the night.

Calm down Lily, she ordered herself. Follow the plan.

The plan was simply this: while James dueled with Voldemort, Lily and Harry would grab a prearranged Portkey that would take them to Hogwarts, where they would take refuge. James would join them if, no when, he made it through the battle with Voldemort.

Shh Lily, it’s okay, we’ll get through this… Lily thought to herself, using the same soothing voice she always used to calm her Harry.

They had made a beautiful snow globe of Hogwarts that really snowed into the Portkey. It had no prearranged departure time, but would take her and Harry to Hogwarts whenever she touched it.

But where is it?!” thought Lily desperately, knocking things off Harry’s dresser as she searched.

Just then, a green light, a rushing sound, a thud, and then a silence, a silence more terrible than any of the sounds before filled Lily’s ears. Then, maniacal laughter rang through the house and Lily knew that could only mean that James…

NOOOOOO!” she screamed, and then cursed to herself, realizing she’d given away where she was hiding.

Footsteps were thudding up the stairs.

Where is that blasted thing?

BAM!

Voldemort had found her.

He was tall, with deathly white skin. Wand in hand. Pointing…behind her? At Harry. With one stride, Lily placed herself between her husband’s murderer and her son.

“Stand aside girl!” hissed Lord Voldemort.

“No, NEVER!” Lily screamed, past all reason, even forgetting the wand in her pocket.

“Imperio.”

Words were pounding through Lily’s brain.

Stand aside, get out of the way, you will live long and happily if you do as I say, Stand aside…
Life?” a voice far away inside her head argued. “Would it really be life if James and Harry were both dead? But if Harry lived…

“NO! Take me instead!” she cried as she broke free of the curse.

** “Stand aside you silly girl…stand aside now…”

“Not Harry, please no, take me, kill me instead--”

“Stand aside. Stand aside girl!”

“Not Harry! Not Harry! Please”I’ll do anything--”**

“AVADA KEDAVRA!”

And the world went white for Lily Potter as she heard her baby scream.





*Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban pg 240 (US edition)
**Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban pg 179/239 (US edition)

Prologue: The Journey Begins by LilMissGranger
Disclaimer: Lucky duck, J.K. came up with Harry and Co. first. I am simply having a little fun with them for no profit whatsoever.

A/N: This is a prologue, so that’s why it’s a bit short, sorry! :) And just to clear up some confusion-we all know that Lily has died, and this chapter is simply her life flashing before her eyes. But pay attention! Some things in her backstory are going to become important later on. So, this chapter is also just a bit of a transition chapter, the real meat of the story starts in the next chapter. You can’t wait, can you? Also-465 reads? Wow! Although I don’t know how many of those were people just checking for updates…still, excitement!


Prologue: The Journey Begins


Lily was whirling through space, void of light and sound. She tried to scream, but it was thrown back down her throat and she choked. She spun faster, and lights exploded around her. Images flashed before her eyes.

She was singing a lullaby to her favorite baby doll, cradling it gently in her arms. “Hush little baby, don’t say a word, momma’s gonna buy you a mocking bird…

It was her seventh birthday and she was blowing out the candles on a pink cake while nine year old Petunia hugged her.

Petunia was making fun of her at the dinner table again, and she made her glass explode, again, which meant she would have to go talk to the psychiatrist, again.

An owl was flying towards her on her eleventh birthday as she ran away, hands over her head.

Lily was watching in amazement as the solid brick wall opened before her as she entered Diagon Alley with her bewildered mother for the first time.

She saw herself small and trembling getting Sorted into Gryffindor. “You’ve got a heart full of fire and passion.

She was clutching the staircase railing alone as the staircase lurched her in another direction on her first day at Hogwarts

“Hi,” said the girl next to her in Charms class shyly as Lily plopped into her seat, late, “I’m Alice.”

She was reading the letter that told her her grandparents had died, crying quietly as Alice hugged her.

She felt the most remarkable swooping sensation as she learned to fly on a broomstick.

She was on her first adventure to Hogsmeade and drinking her first bottle of butterbeer, marveling as it warmed her whole body through.

A fifteen year old Petunia with jealous eyes was facing her saying, “I hate you, you freak.”

James’s hazel eyes filled her vision as he asked in fourth year, “Evans, will you go out with me?” rumpling his hair all the while of course.

Lily screamed and clapped as Gryffindor beat Slytherin three hundred ten to sixty for the third year running in the Quidditch Cup.

It was the end her fifth year and she told James something she regretted for the rest of her life. “You make me SICK.”*

She collapsed into a chair after reading the letter that told her she had received twelve O.W.L.’s

Mudblood,” hissed a sixteen year old Snape from the shadows.

She was sitting by herself in the corner at the wedding reception for Petunia’s marriage of Vernon Dursley.

“Lily, give him a chance. Give yourself a chance!” Alice pleaded.

She watched as the Head Girl pin fall out of her letter and into her hand the summer before seventh year.

Her first kiss…from James.

She bit her lip as she scribbled away on her N.E.W.T.'s. “How can they judge us on ONE test?!

It was the first time she had said it to anyone. “Because I love you, you stupid prat!” Not quite what she had imagined...

She was laughing merrily at Moody’s cracks throughout her training in the Auror Academy.

Lily felt again the determination to fight this evil as she was initiated into the Order.

It was her wedding day and as she danced, she held James close.

She remembered the horror of watching her parents killed before her eyes.

She was fighting Voldemort with James at her side. “We will get through this, we can do this, we WILL make it, oh please…

“I would think it better if I was your Secret Keeper, Lily,” said Dumbledore gently.

Harry. Harry blinking slowly as he opened his eyes for the first time.


She hit the ground with a start, only one thought in her head.

HARRY!


* Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Chapter 28, page 648, U.S. edition

A/N: Hope you enjoyed! Thanks to my beta! Please review, I like input!
On the Road to Heaven by LilMissGranger
Disclaimer: Not mine, it all belongs to J.K. Rowling. All of it, I tell you, all!

A/N: Here we go, the story’s really getting started now! Enjoy!

On the Road to Heaven

“Lily, LILY!”

Her head was pounding; someone was shouting, slapping at her face.

“Lily! C’mon wake up!”

She knew that voice…James! She jerked herself upright.

“James!” she cried, throwing herself at him, “Oh, he got you, and Harry! What’s happening to Harry? And where are we?”

Lily had only just taken in her surroundings. She was sitting on a paved road with green pastures with wildflowers bounding either side; a cloudless blue sky was overhead, as the sun shone down on the road which seemed to go on forever.

“Well,” said James matter of factly, “we appear to be on some type of roadway to heaven, seeing as we’re dead.”

“But what about Harry?” asked Lily as she began to cry, “Did Voldemort torture him? He’s only a baby! Oh, James, he’ll never know us! I’ll never see him walk or run or even play stupid Quidditch!” She went silent for a moment. “The last thing I heard was him cry out,” she whispered.

“I know,” said James, hugging her quietly, “But Harry is alive, he made it through somehow, and you know what, you will watch him grow up. I’ve figured out a way.”

At this, he leaned back, placed his hand on top of the grass, concentrated for a moment, and said, “Fenestra.”

Immediately a large rectangular window appeared on the ground.

“James, how did you…”

“I always was good at wandless magic, wasn’t I?” James said pompously.

Lily managed a weak smile.

“Yes, but anyway, I figured this out as soon as I got here, and as you…”

Lily cut him off. “Did you see stuff in your head on your way here?”

“Yes, I now officially have seen my life flash before my eyes. Not the most pleasant of experiences.”

They both sat quietly for a moment, staring blankly at the empty window.

“So, how does this work?” Lily asked.

“Ah, simply say the name of whomever you want to watch, rather like those mirrors Sirius and I had…man, he is going to be beating himself up for switching with Pettigrew. I can’t believe I didn’t see it before,” said James.

“No, it’s not his fault, we agreed with him. Anyway, Harry Potter,” she said suddenly, and an image of Harry’s bedroom swam into view. There was Harry, either sleeping or unconscious in his crib which was partially covered by a pile of rubble.

“Oh, he’s alive! but someone needs to get him out of there! Why isn’t anyone there yet?!” She jumped up off the ground and began pacing like caged animal.

“Lily we were attacked hardly ten minutes ago. It’ll take some time for--”

“We don’t have time! Look at those bricks on top of his crib! Half of a bedroom wall is on top of my baby. A piece of rubble could fall on top of him and crush him! And--”

“There’s nothing you can do Lily! It’s okay! Dumbledore will probably already have someone on the way--”

“It’s not okay! Harry is lying there helpless and defenseless and--”

She stopped short as she suddenly noticed Hagrid step into Harry’s room.

“Oh thank God it’s Hagrid.”

James and Lily watched as Hagrid carefully lifted the rubble off of the crib, and very tenderly for a man of his size, lifted Harry from his crib. From somewhere just beyond the borders of the window Lily and James heard footsteps, and Hagrid must have as well, for he suddenly grew tense and made the hand that wasn’t cradling Harry into and enormous fist.

“Oh no, not a Death Eater…” Lily murmured.

An ashen faced Sirius rushed into the room.

“It’s true…” he breathed as he gazed at Lily’s unmarked body, which a very weird experience for Lily. Sirius slammed his fist into the wall, causing dust to fly into the air.

Damn that bloody…”

“Shush, ye don’ wan’ te wake Harry now,” said Hagrid.

“Give Harry to me, Hagrid, I’m his godfather. I’ll look after him.”*

“Nope, sorry, Dumbledore’s ordered he go ‘n live with Lily’s sister Petunia.”

“What?!" Lily interjected, “Harry live with her?”

“Shh!” said James, intent upon the window.

Hagrid and Harry were now on their way to St. Mungo’s atop Sirius’s flying motorcycle.

“What is Hagrid thinking carrying Harry on a flying motorcycle? With NO seatbelts!”

“What’s a seatbelt? Sounds interesting,” asked James.

Lily rolled her eyes. “Well at least he’ll get medical attention, and I can think of another one of us who needs it,” she muttered with a significant glance at James who chuckled.

They arrived at St. Mungo’s at last where the Healers promptly began running test after test.

Lily soon became exasperated as Harry underwent his tenth test. “Look at them! Treating him like he’s some sort of experiment! What do they think he is?! And look at his poor forehead. He’ll always have that scar…”

“It’s alright, guys don’t care about their looks my Tiger-Lily,” said James. “Look, they’re being released right now, and they’re on their way to your dear sister’s house.”

“Oh, that’s so comforting.”

Hagrid and Harry soon joined Professors Dumbledore and McGongall who left Harry with a letter on the doorstep.

“What can Dumbledore be thinking leaving--”

It was James's turn to cut her off. “I think that’s becoming your new favorite phrase.”


Lily continued in a louder voice. “Leaving him outside on the doorstep, any dark wizard could just stroll right on up and have a go at our son!”

“Lily, be reasonable, knowing Dumbledore, he’ll have made really strong wards and created some kind of protection. Now I propose we stop this viewing session-Nox-and start up this road for a bit as that is obviously what we are supposed to be doing.”

“Alright,” Lily agreed with a sigh.

James gave her a hand to pull her up and unexpectedly pulled her to him and pressed his lips over hers. They broke apart after a few moments.

“You are the most beautiful, wonderful wife and mother,” James said intensly, pulling her chin upwards to look into her eyes.

“No,” Lily murmmered, looking away, “I left my baby to the hands of someone who will probably hate him as much as she hated me.”

“Hey now, you’re the reason he lived Lil, didn’t you listen to Dumbledore? You gave your life up for him, you love him so much, you can’t bear to watch him live without you.”

“And you, too.”

“Yes,” James sighed, “Well, onward down the road, shall we?” he said, holding out his arm.

“I’d only want to walk here with you.”

They walked along silently for a while until they suddenly reached a fork in the road.

To one side, the road continued far away and over a hill; to the other, it continued for only a few more feet, leading to a rather odd contraption.

An intriguing raised dais with a cracked archway that had a tattered black veil hanging from it, blowing slightly as if there was a breeze.



*Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Chapter 10, page 206 (US edition)

A/N: Mwahahaha! Quasi-cliffie for ya there! I added the part about St. Mungo’s because for those of you who read the Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter, Waters wonders what Harry did for all those hours between the night his parents were murdered and the next night in which he arrived at his aunt’s house. This is my theory as to where he was, to me it makes sense, wouldn’t they want to make sure it didn’t affect him mentally and physically and all? Anybody noticed my use of “Fenestra” was Latin for window? I take Latin, and that’s where a bunch of J.K.’s spells come from. How’d you like Lily’s little overprotective mother spell? Ooc or no? I don’t really think so, I mean, if you were in her position, wouldn’t you feel the same?

Oh well, till next time! Ciao! Don’t forget to review now!
The Choice by LilMissGranger
Disclaimer: Nope! not mine! never has been, aren’t now, never will be!

A/N: Very very sorry for the long wait, things have been quite crazy around here. Over 1,000 reads though, thankee! In this chapter we will explore one of my theories about the veil. Hope you enjoy…

The Choice

As Lily and James stared at the archway, a scroll appeared, suspended in midair, with words forming of their own accord:

To one side, pretended life is found
The other, the unknown realm of death.
Departed, do you return to where friendship and love abound?
The breathing, the living, the moving, the loving
Life.
Or are you bold and unafraid
Ready for the peace of death
After the price you’ve paid?
Death
The choice may only be made by you.
Return to life, embrace death,
What shall you do?


James looked at Lily. “And that means…”

“Honestly, it obviously means that if you travel through the veil, you can ‘return to life’ as a ghost. Or, you can continue down the road to heaven. Actually, I’m quite certain that this archway connects to the Death Chamber in the Ministry of Magic, where they would try to reach the dead. Too bad they can’t reach us so we can tell them anything.”

“Ah,” said James, now that Lily had finished.
I always said she should have been a teacher, sure knows how to explain things in great boring details.”
Aloud, he said, “So, what do you think we should do Lils?”

“I…” she started, “don’t know,” she finished lamely.

“We have to weigh this carefully; this decision is for all of forever,” said James seriously.

Lily bit her lip. “I don’t know, I’ve never really had to make a decision that would bind me for all of forever.”

“Of course you have,” said James lightly, “you agreed to be my wife.”

Lily laughed. “He can always make me laugh,” she thought, and then said with a smile, “Looks like I’m stuck with you.”

“You betcha.”

“Alright then, onto ‘the choice.’ I think we should make up a pro and con list, those always help.”

“Alrighty, let’s do pro’s. Ladies first.”

“Pro: Harry will actually know us.”

“Pro: I can testify that Sirius switched with that bloody git.”

“Pro: We can still be helpful to the Order.”

“Pro: I can tell Harry the 162 ways Sirius and I got detentions and coach him to beat my record.”

Lily raised an eyebrow at him.

“Okay, okay,” James said hastily, “maybe not quite like that. So, now we have a couple of pros. How about con’s?”

“It could be painful for Harry and us; we’re there, but not there.”

“It could be embarrassing for him. I mean, what other kid has survived Voldemort, has a whopping scar on his forehead, and has parents who are ghosts.”

“Many ghosts regret their choice”take Nearly Headless Nick for example.”

“You never get to eat anything again unless you want it to look and smell like Vernon Dursley’s socks.”

“Do you ever take anything seriously?”

“Yup.”

“And what might that be?”

“Loving you.”

Lily smiled inwardly, but rolled her eyes. “Enough of that lover boy. Now, what are the results?”

“Four on either side,” replied James promptly.

“Three, your last ones didn’t count.”

James pretended to look hurt. “So, what’s the verdict?”

“I’m…I’m still not sure,” stammered Lily.

“How about on the count of three, we tell each other our gut feeling?”

“Isn’t the sort of things kids do in about...oh, I don’t know…first year?”

“Yeah, but who cares! Ready? 1”2”3…”

“Don’t go back,” they said together.

Lily sighed. “You felt that way too, huh?”

“It’s for the best,” James whispered.

“Yeah,” said Lily quietly. She still felt upset about not being able to be there for Harry as he grew up. It was like losing him all over again by purposely choosing to stay out of his life.

James seemed able to read her mind because he said, “It’ll be alright, you’ll see.”

With that, he took her hand and pulled her towards the road to heaven, away from that sinister looking archway.

No sooner had they gone a few steps, another scroll materialized in midair. This one read in a formal flowing script:

Welcome to the Road to Heaven

You have two options. Some prefer to be taken immediately to heaven while others prefer to walk the road themselves. If you wish to take option A, take the provided Portkey.


At this, a large winged solid gold snitch materialized.

Or, if you wish continue yourself, proceed past this scroll.


James looked at Lily, the question in his eyes.

“Let’s walk it ourselves,” she said.

“My thoughts exactly,” he replied, and they began to walk past the scroll.

However, as soon as they were past it, another scroll appeared.

“Sheesh,” said James, eyeing the scroll which requested them to sign their respective names with an attached quill.

After they did so, another message formed on the scroll.

Please be aware that you are allowed to return to the world of the living to be of assistance to a living person seven times in the course of all eternity.


James looked at Lily and wiggled his eyebrows.

“Well, Lils, looks like we got the best deal, between the two of us we’re gonna get fourteen visits!”

Lily slapped his arm playfully. Then, hand in hand, they finally started down the long road together.

But the interruptions on the road to heaven were not over for the Potters, for as they walked along slowly two figures came into view. Two figures that Lily recognized.

Mum? Dad?







A/N: Mwahahaha! Another quasi-cliffie! What in the world are Lily’s parents doing there? You’ll just have to find out next time, now won’t you. Was this chapter rather cheesy? James a little immature? Or did you like it this way? In my opinon, their mannerisms should still somewhat reflect those of newlyweds, because after all, they had only been married a year or two before they died. Please review, and constructive criticism is appreciated as well. Thanks to my beta again! :)
Reunions and Remembrances by LilMissGranger
Author's Notes:
Remialcsid: ton enim, tub siht yaw fo gnitirw saw ni s’.K.J tsrif koob!!!

A/N: Hello all. Again, a long wait, and I’m sorry! However this chapter is nice and long, and I personally really enjoyed writing it, so go have fun reading it!

Reunions and Remembrances

Mum? Dad?

The two elderly, yet still spry, figures slowly turned towards Lily and James. They were far enough away that their faces were not entirely distinguishable, but as each set of eyes locked onto the other, they each knew the truth.

“It is you!” cried Lily.

“Lily flower!” yelled her mother incoherently.

James stood back a bit and smiled as the three ran towards each other. Lily’s parents had been killed a little more than a year ago in a surprise attack from Voldemort himself and his Death Eaters…

FLASHBACK

Lily and James Potter were laughing while walking up the walk to a pretty white house out off of a country road. It was a perfect summer evening: there was a gorgeous sunset, birds flew cheerfully through the air, trilling contentedly, and not a cloud in sight. The perfect night for a young couple recently returned from their honeymoon. They put their arms around each other’s waists as they walked up the porch steps, past the wicker rocking chairs, and up to the door.

“Well, ring the doorbell why don’t you?” said Lily.

“And what, my dear, is a doorbell?” asked James innocently.

Lily shook her head. “It’s a button that makes a ringing sound inside the house when it is pressed so that the people inside know that someone is outside.”

“Ah, why don’t you demonstrate for me?”

Lily put out her hand and made as if to press the doorbell, but then suddenly changed course and poked James in the belly button.

“Aaaah!...Lily…stop!” James gasped between laughs, but she just laughed and continued to poke him.

Curse the day I told her I was ticklish,” thought James, doubled over and laughing.

A light on the porch flicked on, the door opened and the round, jolly face of Sam Evans, proud father of Lily, appeared.

“The newlyweds arrive! Acting like third years I might add. Do I dare ask what you were doing?”

“Making me, or more precisely my belly bu”er, ahem, navel into a doorbell, sir,” said James, wiping his watering eyes.

The corners of Sam’s mouth twitched.

“Well, c’mon in, Rose has got a whopper of a meal cooked up for the two of you.”

They all walked inside into a spacious foyer and through a hallway that lead to the kitchen.

“Is that my Lily flower?” called a voice through the swinging door of the kitchen. Rose Evans walked through the door, drying her hands on her apron. She was a short woman, even Lily towered over her, with deep auburn hair and the same beautiful green eyes that she passed onto her daughter.

“Oh, you’re home!” she cried, going to Lily and James and hugging them. “And look at the two of you! So tan! Well actually, Lily, you look quite freckly, redhead that you are! Come and sit down! I’ve just finished up all the dinner preparations.” And with that, she led them into the dining room.

“Wow Mom,” gaped Lily, “you didn’t have to do all this just for us.”

For there spread across the dining room table was a grand feast of salad, stuffed chicken, mashed potatoes, fresh greens, and freshly baked rolls.

“And there’s lemon icebox pie for dessert,” said Rose fondly. “I know that is yours and James’s favorite.”

They sat down to their wonderful candlelit dinner and a lively conversation about the many places Lily and James had gone during their honeymoon.

“So handy, that apparition thing. It would have cost you a fortune and wasted a lot of time if you had used an airplane to go to all those place. Too bad we can’t do it ourselves, eh Sam? I know it’ll cost a pretty penny to buy the gas needed to drive all the way out to Lily and James’s new home,” she teased.

Lily flushed, “I’m sorry Mom, we…”

“Oh, dear, you know your mother was just teasing,” said Sam.

“No, really,” said James. “Here, I’ll make you a portkey.” He took out his wand with a flair and transformed the vase of roses in front of him into a portkey. “There,” he said. “It’ll take only you two to our hose whenever you touch it together.”

“Thank you dearie, it’s nice to know you married a gentleman Lily, too bad your sister didn’t,” she said the last part under her breath, but Lily heard it anyway.

Lily stood up abruptly at the mention of her sister and started pacing around the kitchen.

“I’m so sorry she didn’t come to your wedding, Lily,” said Sam quietly.

“We…we tried to convince her to come this evening, without Vernon of course, we know that things get ugly when he’s around you, but she…refused quite…firmly to say the least.”

“She acts like she’d rather go live in Antarctica and eat raw fish for the rest of her life rather than come see her own sister who hasn’t done anything to her,” said Lily bitterly. She always did feel hurt that Petunia totally avoided her. She sighed. “It’s just that I hate the fact that she hates me.”

She wandered over to an open window, hoping that looking out over the peaceful country would soothe her ruffled feelings; she really didn’t want to ruin their visit. Unfortunately, any chance of having the night not be ruined had already been quashed. For outside, there was a swish of a cloak, a cackle of laughter, and a blast of green light. Lily stared, horrified and open-mouthed, as the Dark Mark rose over her house.

She whipped away from the window. “Mum, Dad, listen,” she whispered urgently, “There are Death Eaters here, they’ll be up here at any moment. They don’t want you, it’s James and I they want, go, take the portkey to our house, we’ll meet you there when we’re…

“That won’t be happening,” drawled a sneering voice under a Death Eater’s mask, but that voice could only belong to Lucius Malfoy. “Accio portkey!

The vase of flowers flew to Malfoy, who was not quite expecting the portkey to be a vase, and he barely caught it.

“How sentimental,” he said, eyeing the vase with great distaste. “ Pity you won’t be able to put this to use, you filthy muggles.” He made to conjure up ropes to bind the Evans, but James who was standing next to Sam and Rose was too quick for him.

Protegro!

“Leave them alone, they don’t hurt you and your debased leader,” seethed Lily.

James muttered to Lily, “Let me handle them, you get your parents out of here,”

“No, it’s more like they exist if you know what I mean, Potter,” snarled the masked figure next to Malfoy.

“Reverting to fifth year tactics, are you Snape?”

Lily started edging towards her parents, unnoticed by Malfoy or Snape who were now waging a furious duel against James; James was faring well though-all those fights in school certainly paid off.

But someone else noticed her. “And where do you think you’re going miss? Impedimenta!” said a slow dull voice that attempted to sound menacing.

Lily easily deflected his hex. “Honestly, Goyle, you might try a voice disguising charm. Silencio! Petrificus Totalus!

Goyle immediately shut up and fell down on the ground. Lily bent over and rapped him sharply on the head, casting a Disillusionment charm. Then she banished him into the closet.

She wiped her hands. “That takes care of him.” She hurried over to her parents where they lay bound and gagged, Snape or Malfoy obviously having gotten to them while James wasn’t looking and while she had dueled, oh so briefly, with Goyle.

“It’s alright, don’t worry,” she said to her parents. They shook their heads frantically and stared behind her head, their eyes wide with fright.
Lily slowly turned around. “Wha…” A huge fist was on its way to her head, she dived out of the way only just in time.

Of course,” she thought, “wherever there’s Goyle, there’s Crabbe.”

Stupefy!” she cried and banished Crabbe to the closet as well.

“Come here,” she said to her parents. She quickly cut their bonds and took out their gags. Then she cast a disillusionment charm on the three of them. “Let’s get out of here.”

They edged around Malfoy, Snape, and James who were using everything possible to gain an advantage over the other; it was a fairly even match considering it was two on one. All three of them were holding pots which they were using to deflect spells back at each other, Knives had been bewitched to fly at their opponents.

Lily watched as though in slow motion as Malfoy directed a knife towards James who was busy with Snape. She whipped out her wand. “Impedimenta!” she whispered.

The knife halted in midair, inches from James’s face. He turned, saw it, grabbed it and flung it back at Snape, successfully pinning him to the wall through his cloak. Lily breathed a sigh of relief and ushered her parents through the kitchen’s swinging door.

Oh dear God,” she thought.

No less than ten more death eaters were standing there, blocking escape.

“You can’t hide, we know you’re in here, missy.”

“Yeah, we can smell your dirty blood,” jeered another.

No choice but to go back into the kitchen,” she thought.

She grabbed her parents by their elbows, but they couldn’t move for fright.

“Enough of this hide and seek game, let’s get them,” snarled one of the Death Eaters. “Accio Mudblood! Accio Mudblood’s parents! Accio!

Lily and her parents found themselves flying across the room.

“Ah, there you are my pretty,” said the Death Eater who caught her, rapping her on the head to get rid of her Disillusionment charm.

Lily pushed out of his grip. “Expelliarmus!

His wand flew into her outstretched hand. “Stupefy! Stupefy!” she cried, taking down two more Death Eaters.

“You can’t beat us, you fool, silly mudblood that you are. You stand against us alone…”

“Excuse me,” came a voice behind the Death Eater. It was Sam. “I believe you’ve forgotten one thing.” Here, he sent a spectacular punch into the Death Eater’s face who crumpled to the ground. “She’s not alone, because I’m still here.”

“Dad, don’t…”

Crucio!

Lily watched in horror as her father twitched and screamed on the ground. “Stupefy!” she cried. The curse was broken, and Sam lay moaning on the ground. Suddenly, there was a stupendous crash as James ran into the room, pot still in hand.

“Oh, shit.

Seven stunning spells from the remaining Death Eaters came flying his way. He quickly rebounded them all back to their originators with his pot, and they all crumpled to the floor.
“Useful things these pots are,” he said.

Lily could only smile weakly at him as she tended to her father. “You alright Dad?”

“Yes, Lily,” he said, though his breathing came in short gasps, “I’ll be fine.”

“I’m so sorry, this is all our fault…”

James pulled her into a hug. “Shhh…Lily, don’t cry…”

BANG!

“Now isn’t this the perfect picture.” said a high cold voice.

Everyone turned and froze, James still hugging Lily, Rose bending over Sam on the floor behind them. Lord Voldemort.

“I tire of my Death Eater’s incompetence, fifteen of them cannot overtake two worthless old muggles, a mudblood, and a blood traitor. I suppose I’ll have to do it myself. AVADA KEDAVRA!” he cried.

James and Lily dived out of the way.

NOOOOO!” screamed Lily.


“Lily, apparate, NOW!” yelled James.

With one last look at the lifeless bodies of her parents, Lily and James disappeared with a pop.

END FLASHBACK

“James? James? Hello? Have you been listening?” Lily was waving a hand in front of his face.

“Huh, what?”

“Look, it’s my parents, you’re like off in Quidditch land,”

“Oh, sorry, hello Rose, Sam, I was just remembering the…the last time we saw you…”

“And you on no account were responsible as Lily here seems to think,” said Rose firmly, coming up to James to give him a hug. “It’s wonderful too see you two, well, I’d rather not see you here but, still. Of course, we’ve been watching everyone-“

“Wait, how were you able to if you can’t do magic?”

“Ah, Lily told me all about your clever way of doing it, and ‘the choice,’ I never knew muggles couldn’t come back as ghosts…anyway, when we came, we were issued a sort of two way mirror. You say the name of the person you want to see and they appear in your mirror.”

“Oh, those are most excellent, my best mate Sirius and I had a pair back at Hogwarts,” said James enthusiastically.

“Yes, well, we best be off,” said Sam.

“Where? You’re not going to get there any faster than we are,” teased Lily.

“Actually,” explained Rose, “we simply use our mirror to get to heaven, and we were going to go straight there rather than walk it, but then I said I wanted to use the mirror to check on you one last time before we went. And then we saw the attack on your house on Halloween, and I watched while you stood up to Voldemort…”

“Did everyone have to watch me then? James did, now you, it’s kinda creepy,” said Lily.

“Well, we decided to wait for you so we could see you in person before we went on,” said Sam.

“Hang on, you died over a year ago, how is it that you’re not farther down the road by now?” asked Lily.

“Well, time works different here than down on earth honey, do you know how long eternity would be if it went by days? I have absolutely no idea how many ‘days’ it has been that we were here,” said Rose gently.

“Alright, well then, I guess this is goodbye until you two young’uns get there yourselves,” said Sam, shaking James’s hand and giving Lily a hug.

“Watch over my grandson for me,” said Rose, pecking Lily on the cheek.

“Don’t worry, she will, Rose,” said James. Lily narrowed her eyes at him.

Rose laughed, then she stepped over to Sam and tightly grasped the large white mirror with him. Together, they said, “We’re in heaven.” A last smile, and then they were gone.




A/N2: Well there you have it, Chapter 5. I must say I had a LOT of fun writing this chapter. I loved creating Lily’s parents. My first “battle scene” too, although we don’t see most of the action. Anyway, til next time! Ciao!
Btw, disclaimer = “Not mine, but this way of writing was in J.K.’s first book!” Sorry, it’s really late over here and I’m delirious. What can I say?
It's Been...A Year? by LilMissGranger
Author's Notes:
Warning: Abuse
Disclaimer: It’s not mine, and it’ll never be mine. It’s all J.K. Rowling’s. Go glomp her instead.

A/N: I’m truly truly sorry about the long wait. My job became absolutely insane roundabouts May-I was pulling 40+ hours every week. Then I went on a three week vacation, with NO internet. And just recently, a friend of mine got into a horrible car accident and didn’t survive the crash. So…this just got put on the backburner for a while. I’ll try to update sooner this time though. Enjoy the chapter!

It’s Been…A Year?

Lily smiled at the spot where her parents had been a moment before. James gave her a squeeze.

“Better goodbye than last time?”

“Yeah,”she murmmered.

“Let’s check on Harry, shall we?” suggested James. He led her to the side of the road.

“Why did a lily cross the road?” he joked.

“So she could push her husband on the other side,” she said shoving James who emitted a small “Oof!”

Lily settled down on the grass next to James.

“Alright, James; do your thing.”

Fenestra,” The blank screen appeared.

“James,” said Lily quietly, “how long do you think it’s been?”

“Only one way to find out,” he said bracingly. “Harry Potter.”

A picture of the Dursley’s kitchen swam into view; apparently it was nearing dinner time for Petunia was cooking something over the stove. Baby Harry came toddling into view, occasionally stumbling over the oversize t-shirt he had on. Once he fell flat on his face, right in front of his aunt’s feet. Petunia didn’t even look down.

“That is hard tile floor!” cried Lily indignantly. “How can she ignore him like that?!”

“Seems as though it’s a common occurrence,” said James grimly. “But look, he’s just getting right back up, he’s used to it. That’s my little man Harry, keep trying.”

Harry was indeed getting back up, and he was using his aunt’s stockinged leg to do it. His aunt gave her leg a little shake, but Harry held tightly on and scooted up a little higher. He was trying to reach the food in the pot, and he was making small moaning noises”Petunia just watched as Harry stretched out his hand to the boiling pot.

“Oh, don’t, Harry! It’s hot!” Lily wailed.

But Harry had already touched it, and with a cry, he fell to a heap on the ground. Petunia towered over him.

“Hungry, are you? Well you would have gotten lunch if you were a good boy like Dudley.”

Harry made a distinct face of disgust. Petunia’s face turned white, and she pulled her hand back…

Harry ran out the kitchen as fast as his stubby legs could carry him. Lily and James watched him enter the living room where Dudley was watching a tv show in which some policemen were giving chase to a band of robbers. Harry stood and watched for a few moments, head cocked to one side, before turning to toddle toward the window. The show ended, and Dudley finally noticed Harry. Dudley jumped up and pointed his finger at Harry like a gun.

“BANG! You dead!”

Harry looked at him, puzzled. He stuck out a tiny hand and pointed it at Dudley and jerked it, but didn’t say anything.

“James,” said Lily concernedly, “why isn’t Harry talking?”

“I can only guess…” he said, with an uncharacteristically grim look on his face.

Dudley did not like this turn of events at all. He scowled at Harry.

“NO! Harry DEAD! BANG! Play dead! Now!”

Harry stood his ground as Dudley made to push him to the floor. Harry raised his hand once more, pointed it at Dudley, and jerked it.

BANG!

Dudley was blasted off his feet halfway across the living room; he gave one startled look at Harry and ran off into the kitchen.

“That’s my boy! You show him Harry!” James cheered. “He’ll be a fine wizard,” he said to Lily, “showing that much magic at his age!”

“So long as he learns to talk,” replied Lily gloomily.

“Cheer up, he’ll talk in good time.”

The Dursleys and Harry were now at dinner with Dudley in a high chair and Harry sitting on a normal chair, his bright green eyes barely over the table. The Dursleys had absolutely refused to by double baby necessities to accommodate their “burden” of a nephew.

“James, look at Harry’s plate!” cried Lily. For Harry had the smallest portions she had ever seen…and his meat, which was really nothing but grizzle and fat, was cut haphazardly. Many of the pieces were too large for any baby’s mouth, even Dudley’s.

“This”this is child neglect!” Lily sputtered angrily.

“If I had that Dursley, I’d blow him up like a balloon, and pop him!” growled James.

Vernon and Petunia were now discussing some conflict or another.

“Vernon, the Beach Party for Dudley’s nursery school is in two days time, August the second…”

“It’s going to be August the second in two days!” Lily cried, “James, it’s been almost a year!”

“Lily, if August second is in two days, then today is…”

HARRY’S BIRTHDAY?!

“Shhh!” said James, but Lily continued to mutter things under her breath like “…treating him like that on his birthday.” and “How could she?”

“Anyway Vernon, we’ll have to take”have to take him.”

Vernon sprayed coffee across the table. “What! Someone must be able to take him! What about Miss Figg?”

“The flu.”

“Mrs. Polkiss?”

“Having her second child; she tried to burden me with Piers, but I absolutely refused to take on another unwanted child. The nerve of some people…”

“Oh, yes, I just wanted to up and die and leave my baby with you! You”you monster!” cried Lily quite hysterically.

Uncle Vernon was running out of people to suggest. “Marge?”

“Dog show.”

“Blast!” Uncle Vernon ejaculated in frustration.

Harry unfortunately took this inoppourtune moment to choke on a piece of his “meat.”

“You, boy, will not stay at this table with your disgusting mannerisms. Go to your closet!”

“Closet?” wondered Lily.

Harry’s face was turning purple.

“James! We’ve got to do something! He could choke to death and they would just sit there and watch!”

SPLAT! Harry coughed and the meat shot across the table at Uncle Vernon.

“That does it boy!” he growled as he grabbed Harry and shoved him into the closet under the stairs and locked the door.

Inside the dark closet, Harry curled into a ball on the dusty floor and placed his thumb in his mouth. A single tear rolled down his small thin cheek.

That however, couldn’t compare with the amount of tears streaming from his mother’s eyes.
Chapter 7 by LilMissGranger
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The wonderful world of Harry Potter belongs entirely to J.K. Rowling, I am just having a frolic with it for non-profit fun!
A/N: Is there ANY excuse for making you wait, what? two YEARS for an update? No, not really, besides university, and having to take on two jobs to pay for it, eating up all my time. I'm now graduated with my first job (middle school math teacher!) and so now THAT is what eats up all my time. Educators represent! I hope you enjoy this chapter!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside the closet, Harry curled into a ball on the dusty floor and placed his thumb in his mouth. A single tear rolled down his small thin cheek.
But that couldn’t compare with the amount streaming from his mother’s eyes…


James whispered “Nox” quietly and crawled over to his sobbing wife and pulled her into a hug, trying to blink back tears himself.

“I’ve got to be strong for Lily” he thought, ”I’ve got to think of a way to make this better.”

“James, oh James, what can we do?” Lily cried.

“We’ll go visit him, right now” said James, the idea just occurring to him.

“What?...Oh, that would be wonderful! But…” she faltered, “but do we need to go right now? What if we need to save this for some kind of life and death situation…”

“This is more important than life or death!” James exclaimed, leaping up. “Harry needs to know that he is loved, to know that someone out there cares about him! We can visit him and do something-anything-to let him know! Hold him, hug him, talk to him. Talk to him! We’ll talk to him in loving tones such have never been directed towards him before! Show him that talking can do more than injure people’s feelings, that it can be used to spread love. Kids who are always mistreated and unloved like him grow up bitter, angry and lead messed up lives! I want my son to have more than that, better than that! I””

But Lily had pressed a finger over his lips to stop his speech, and was looking up at him with eyes filled with both tears and admiration.

“You would have been the greatest father,” she whispered. “I know now why we have to go…and you are absolutely right. Let’s go visit our son Harry!”

James smiled at her, and pulled her into a tighter hug.

Pop!

A scroll appeared in midair and writing began to cover it.

“Y’know, these things are kinda annoying,” said Lily.

“No! You really think so?” James said sarcastically.

The scroll now read:

Mr. James and Lily Potter, you have elected to visit Harry Potter. Please note that you will each have only 13 visits left after this. Please sign here.”

Lily and James sighed and signed their names.

“Oh, look! Yet another message!” said James.

Please note that your visit may not exceed two hours.


At this, the window reopened on the ground, and an image of a sleeping Harry came into view.

“Ready?” said James, taking Lily by the hand.

“In your own words, ‘You betcha!’”

Hand in hand, they jumped into the window, and rematerialized in Harry’s so called bedroom.

“Ooh, look at him,” said Lily as she gazed on his sleeping form tenderly, “He’s so much bigger! But thinner and sadder…”

“We’ll have to wake him,” said James. He knelt down before the small cot that served as Harry’s crib and gently shook his shoulder.

“Harry, Harry, wake up son…” said James.

Harry moaned softly and slowly sat up, rubbing his eyes blearily. He spotted James and gave a little gasp and scooted away, cowering in the corner of his bed.

“Hey little man,” said James, his eyes filled with pain at the thought that Harry thought he might hurt him. “C’mere, I won’t hurt you. You remember my fun little name for you…ickle Harrykins…”

A spark of recognition flashed through Harry’s green eyes; he edged a little closer.

“Yeah, come see your good ol’ dad,” said James as Harry crawled towards his outstretched arms. James picked Harry up in his strong hands, and rolled onto his back on the cot, holding Harry above him. “Remember ‘Harry Quidditch’, Harry?” James said as he made Harry zoom around. James now made his voice sound like a sports announcer. “And out into the pitch comes the incredible seeker Harry Potter! Aboard his trusty Comet 240, he is ready to steal the show for this game! So much like his father, he is. The balls are released and the game begins! Look Harry, look all around for the snitch! Oh no! A nasty bludger, dodge it Harry! Dodge it! Oh! Harry’s seen the snitch. He’s off!...just a bit closer…yes! he’s got it! And the crowd goes wild!”

Lily laughed out loud. James slowly brought Harry down onto his lap.

“Did you like that Harry?” asked James eagerly.

Harry made no reply except to place his arms around James’ neck and put his head on James’ shoulder. James’ eyes widened in surprise and he whispered gruffly into Harry’s ear. “Glad you still love Quidditch like your daddy. I love you Harry. And hey, look who else is here…”

James turned Harry around and placed him on the floor so he could see Lily for the first time. He gazed at her for a moment, then his whole face lit up in a smile and he ran the short distance into his mother’s arms.

Lily could only exclaim incoherently, “Oh Harry! I’ve missed you!...Oh, you remembered me!...you’re so big!…”

Harry was clinging tightly to his mother’s neck and stroking and playing with her long silky red hair like he always used to, but when he encountered a knot in her hair and gave a tug…

“Ow! You’re certainly stronger too!” laughed Lily. “Now Harry, today is your birthday! Do you know what that means?” she asked and then began to sing in a soft, clear voice,

“Happy Birthday to you,”

James joined in, “ Happy birthday to you,”

“Happy birthday dear Harry, Happy birthday to you!”

Harry smiled and clapped his hands. “Harry do you know how old you are?” Lily asked. “You’re two.” She held up two fingers. “Can you hold up two fingers and say two for mummy?”

And so the teaching began.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed! :) As always, I'd love any feedback!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=39167