Friends in Need... by Foxy Wolf
Past Featured StorySummary: It's one week till Christmas and times are rough in the wizarding world. Neville Longbottom is forced to stay behind at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry due to tragic events. Fortunately someone chooses to stay behind with him.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1604 Read: 1561 Published: 12/09/05 Updated: 12/09/05

1. ...Are Friends in Deed. by Foxy Wolf

...Are Friends in Deed. by Foxy Wolf
Author's Notes:
Thanks Anasuya. I enjoy nothing more than being under your beta reign.


The snow was lightly descending from the indigo sky, laying itself like an ice cold quilt on the grounds that surrounded Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. In the Gryffindor Common Room sat Ginny Weasley by the roaring fire. She appeared to be reading a book but she wasn’t paying any attention to the words. She was thinking about her brother Ron and her friend Hermione, but most of all she was thinking about Harry, her boyfriend; or at least that’s what he used to be.


Ginny understood perfectly well that they couldn’t be together, not in a romantic way, and she understood that Harry needed to do this without her. All three of them were out there somewhere in the vast darkness, on the search for those horrible Horcruxes so that Harry could ensure the fall of Lord Voldemort. Ginny felt her skin tightening and saw that she had goose bumps all over her body. She rubbed her arms for warmth and looked up from the book that hadn’t caught her interest. Neville Longbottom was sitting in a far corner of the Common Room. His back was turned to Ginny but she guessed that he was staring out the window; he had been sitting there for several hours.





Poor Neville. Who can blame him?





His grandmother had been found dead only five weeks after he had gone back to school to attend his seventh year. Ever since then he had kept to himself and hadn’t really talked about it to anyone. Ginny hadn’t even seen him cry; he just sat there, pale and wide eyed. She and Luna had tried talking to him on several occasions but he merely answered in monosyllables. They didn’t want to make him feel like he was under pressure, so they decided to leave him be and act normally around him; the last thing he would want was to be pitied. Suddenly Ginny felt how tired she was and decided to go to bed. She got up from the armchair and walked towards the stairs that led to the girls’ dormitory.





“Good night, Neville,” she said as she looked towards the corner where he was sitting; he shrugged. For a brief moment she felt like walking over to him, give him a great hug and tell him that everything was going to be alright. But she knew he wasn’t ready, he would come to her when the time was right. She sighed to herself and walked up the stairs.












The next morning Ginny kept scanning the ceiling in the Great Hall. She knew it was a long shot but she hoped that the snowy white figure of Hedwig would appear. She didn’t want to get her hopes up and was perfectly aware that Harry wouldn’t use Hedwig that often because of her recognizable form, but she had received one letter during the few months they had been gone so she knew it was possible. Ginny looked around at the other students, there was so few of them left that they could be seated at two tables. Many of them hadn’t returned over the summer and even more had been taken home by their parents during the last three months. Some of them had even been killed. Glancing around, Ginny found it difficult to believe that Christmas was only one week away; Hogwarts wasn’t exactly erupting with joy. Everyone was, like herself, watching the enchanted ceiling apprehensively to see if the wind was bringing in news of departed relatives or missing friends. She squeezed Luna’s hand under the table; she knew that she had been worrying about her father since the start of term when more and more people had started disappearing. Everyone let out a gasp as the owls started swooping in.





No Hedwig





She ran her hand tiredly through her hair and felt her heart sinking a little. A large barn owl placed itself next to her pumpkin juice and stuck out its leg. She took the letter while the owl playfully nipped at her fingers. Her heart was pounding as she opened the letter. It was from her parents and she couldn’t help but feel a bit disappointed.





Dear Ginny





We hope all is well at Hogwarts, or at least as well as can be expected. We were sad to hear that you didn’t want to come to France with us and celebrate Christmas with Fleur’s family, but you’re right; it seems that your friend Neville needs you more than we do.


We got a letter from Ron saying that he, Harry and Hermione wouldn’t be coming home in time but they sent there greetings to you and the others at Hogwarts.





A very merry Christmas,





Mum and Dad






Ginny could feel her heart sinking; she wasn’t going to see Harry at all for the rest of the year. She wasn’t the only one who had gotten bad news. Several of the other students looked crestfallen or grieved. A fourth-year girl from Ravenclaw screamed and sobbed in to the shoulder of one of her friends. A group of girls helped her to the Hospital Wing.





“I’m leaving now, Ginny,” Luna said as she stood up. “Daddy will be expecting my arrival any time soon.”





Ginny hugged her friend fiercely. “Merry Christmas. Look after yourself won’t you, and your father.” She could feel the tears overwhelming her and tried to swallow the lump that was developing in her throat.





“Of course.” Luna placed her wand behind her ear and walked over to Neville who was sitting at the far end of the table. She bent down, kissed him on the cheek and swept away her dirty blonde hair from her face as she absentmindedly strolled towards the Entrance Hall. Ginny’s attention was now focused on Neville; he hadn’t seemed to react to Luna’s kiss. He was clutching a letter tightly in his fist. Blinking furiously, he looked like he was about to throw up. She walked over to him and seated herself next to him.





“What’s wrong, Neville?”





He handed her the letter without saying anything. She took it and started to read.





Dear Mr. Longbottom,





We’re sorry to inform you that it will not be possible for you to visit your parents during the holidays. We have unfortunately seen it necessary to keep visitors away for a while do to the stress it’s inflicting on both patients and staff during these dark times...






Ginny stopped. She couldn’t hold back the tears this time. She was furious; furious at that stupid ward for not letting Neville see his parents at Christmas and furious at herself for pitying Neville even more than she did before. Neville stood up stiffly and walked away in a fast pace. Ginny ran after him but he had disappeared.





I have to talk to him tonight. No matter what.












By eight o’clock that night nearly everyone had left Hogwarts for the holidays. Ginny and Neville were the only Gryffindors who stayed behind at the school. Ginny walked towards the entrance to the Gryffindor Common Room.





“Pax Eternus.”





“I should hope so,” the Fat Lady exclaimed as she swung open.





As Ginny entered through the portrait hole she saw Neville sitting on the couch in front of the fire. She sat down next to him. “We need to talk,” she said as she placed her hand on his leg, Neville looked down but she didn’t remove it. “I won’t pretend that I know what you’re going through,” she confessed. “I can only imagine how you must feel, but I do know that you need to let it out.” She lifted her hand and placed a lock of his hair behind his ear. He closed his eyes. “I know you’re grieving over the loss of your grandmother, and no matter what you think I know you well enough to see that you’re furious at St. Mungo’s.” Ginny could feel her own temper rising and she felt her face getting hot, “It’s not healthy to keep it bottled up.” She jumped up and grabbed his hand. “Come on.”





They ran through the deserted corridors of Hogwarts and before they knew it they could feel the night air kissing their lungs. The snow reached their ankles as they trotted towards the lake.





“BOOB!” Ginny yelled across the grounds. Neville looked slightly flustered; she laughed and said “I’ve always loved that word. It covers so many areas and it feels so liberating to just shout it. You should try it.” She turned Neville so he was facing the lake “Come on, Neville. Shout!” He coughed slightly as to clear his throat. “Shout Neville! Shout!”





“IDIOTS!” Neville’s eyes glinted as he roared; the rosy colour had returned to his cheeks and he was breathing heavily with excitement.





“Tomorrow we’re going to St. Mungo’s to see your parents,” Ginny said “I won’t take no for an answer.” Neville smiled and suddenly he drew her closer and kissed her. Their lips parted and Ginny could sense the taste of salt on her upper lip; she looked at Neville. Tears were streaming down his face.





“Thanks,” he said, “for being such a good friend.”





“You’re welcome,” she responded and kissed his cheek. “Let’s go to bed. We have a long day in front of us.” She took his hand and they walked back to the castle together, smiling.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=39200