The Heart Doesn't Lie by Hedwig_17
Summary: Ron finally confesses his feelings of love and adoration to Hermione, much to her (and his) surprise. (ONE-SHOT) Special thanks to my Beta, wishiwereaweasley :-)
Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1932 Read: 2577 Published: 12/10/05 Updated: 12/10/05

1. The Heart Doesn't Lie by Hedwig_17

The Heart Doesn't Lie by Hedwig_17
Ronald Weasley should have been happy on the day of his eldest brother Bill’s wedding but, surprisingly, he wasn’t. While over 50 guests were enjoying themselves in the Weasley garden during the reception, Ron was standing alone near the garden’s edge, lost in thought. He was nervous about the fact that in a few days, he would be embarking on a life-threatening mission to help his best friend, Harry Potter, defeat He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. He did not even want to think about what the consequences would be if the mission failed. What was worrying Ron the most, however, was the fact that he still had not gathered up enough courage to tell his other best friend, Hermione Granger, how madly in love with her he was.

He stole a glance at Hermione, who was sitting at one of the guest tables talking animatedly to his sister Ginny. God, she looks beautiful. She was wearing yellow satin dress robes that shimmered where the sunlight hit, and several yellow flowers adorned her chestnut hair. She looked like a queen. My queen, Ron thought. Just then, Hermione looked in Ron’s direction and their eyes locked. Embarrassed at being caught staring, he quickly looked away, sighing heavily.

“What’s wrong, Ron?” said a familiar voice, interrupting his thoughts. Ron turned to see Harry standing next to him, concern in his eyes.

“Oh “ er “ it’s nothing,” he replied.

Harry looked at him skeptically. “Ron, I’ve known you for almost six years. I know when something’s wrong.”

“It’s just…” Ron hesitated, “our mission to find the Horcruxes starts in a few days. I reckon I’m just nervous.” He hoped that his explanation would be enough to satisfy Harry’s curiosity.

“Are you sure that’s all that’s bothering you?” said Harry knowingly.

“What do you mean?” Ron said defensively.

Harry was silent for a minute and fiddled with his hands before finally looking at Ron again. “Ron, just talk to her.”

“Talk to whom? What are you on about?” He could feel himself blushing. Don’t say Hermione. Please don’t tell me you know how I feel about Hermione. It’s supposed to be my secret.

Harry rolled his eyes. “Hermione, of course.”

“What are you “ what makes you think “" Ron sputtered before stopping himself. He looked at Harry sheepishly. “So you know, huh? Is it that obvious?”

Harry smirked. “It’s been obvious for years, mate.”

Ron’s cheeks were burning now.

“Ron, I’m telling you, just tell her how you feel. You’ll feel much better.”

“You reckon so?”

“I know so,” said Harry as he slapped Ron on the back and nudged him towards Hermione.




It’s now or never, Ron thought as he approached Hermione. Her back was turned to him as she sat talking with Ginny. Ginny, however, noticed his approach and smirked at him. Bloody hell! Ginny knows too, Ron thought in horror as he abruptly changed directions and walked towards the buffet table instead. His twin brothers, Fred and George, were standing nearby.

“Is ickle Ronniekins thirsty?” said Fred as Ron approached.

“Here, have a glass of pumpkin juice,” said George, offering Ron a glass.

“Thanks,” mumbled Ron, hastily taking the juice from George; anything to distract him from having to talk to Hermione. He downed the juice in one big gulp and immediately began to feel better. In fact, he felt wonderful! All of his worries seemed to disappear and a warm feeling began to spread through his body. He looked at Hermione again. Merlin, she looks hot! I have to talk to her right now! I have to profess my love to her right this instant!

He sprinted across the garden towards Hermione as if his life depended on it. He paid no attention to the fact that, in his haste, he knocked Bill and his new wife, Fleur, down as they danced their wedding waltz. Nor did he care when he bumped into his brother, Percy, causing him to spill pumpkin juice all over his new white dress robes. The only thing that mattered was reaching Hermione.

When he finally reached Hermione’s table, he roughly shoved Ginny out of the way. “What in Merlin’s name do you think you’re doing, Ron!” He ignored her. He grabbed a shocked Hermione and pulled her to her feet.

“Hermione, I love you,” he blurted out.

“What did you just say?” Hermione was staring at Ron in disbelief.

“How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. You are the smartest witch in all of England. No one is cleverer than you. Your brown eyes are like almonds. Your hair is like chocolate. Your skin is as smooth as ivory. Your lips are like rubies. Your figure is perfection…”

Hermione was blushing profusely now. “Ron, what are you…”

“What I’m trying to say is that I love you! I adore you! I worship you!” He looked around. The garden was silent. The music had stopped. Everyone was staring at him and Hermione. A few people were even laughing, especially Fred and George. Ron didn’t care. The only one who mattered to him right now was Hermione.

“Oh, Ron, do you mean it?” she asked in a soft voice.

“Yes, I do,” he replied.

“I love you too,” she said as she took his hands in hers.

I have to kiss her now. I have to feel her lips on mine. Ron leaned towards Hermione and gently pressed his lips to hers. To his delight, Hermione began to kiss him back. Immediately, Ron felt a chill run through his body and his feeling of euphoria gave way to one of confusion, then horror, and finally humiliation. He looked around. Hermione’s face was inches from his and she was beaming at him. Everyone else was staring and applauding.

“Blimey, what did I just do?” He glanced at Hermione who now looked alarmed.

“Ronald, you didn’t mean any of it?” she asked, her voice shaking. Ron only stared at her in stunned silence. “Oh, I hate you,” she shrieked as she slapped him hard across the face and ran off sobbing towards the Burrow, Ginny racing after her.

“Hermione, wait!” Ron yelled, watching her disappear inside the Burrow. He looked at Fred and George and noticed that they were now laughing so hard that they were rolling around on the grass. Realization set in.

“You slimy gits!” Ron roared as he charged at them. “You spiked my drink with a love potion!”

“Not just any love potion, dear brother, but our newly patented five minute potion,” Fred said, just before he and George Disapparated with twin cracks, leaving Ron punching at thin air.

“Oh my God,” Ron moaned, slumping down onto a nearby bench, his head in his hands. He looked up to see Harry approaching.

“Wow, Ron. I know I told you to go talk to Hermione, but I had no idea you were going to start reciting verse.” Ron clenched his fists. “Whoa, whoa, sorry,” said Harry, looking as if he was trying hard not to laugh. “So you fell for one of Fred and George’s tricks again, eh?”

“Yeah, stupid me,” Ron sighed. “I’ve ruined everything, Harry. Hermione thinks everything I said was a lie. She hates me now.”

“Was it a lie?” asked Harry, a serious expression on his face.

“No, it was the truth. I meant every word. I just would have never dared to tell her in front of all these people. It was hard enough trying to find the courage to tell her alone. And, bloody hell, I would never have thought to kiss her in front of everybody like that!”

“How was the kiss?”

“It was great,” Ron breathed, and then anger seeped into him. “But it wasn’t right. The decision to kiss for the first time should have been made by Hermione and me. An important decision like that shouldn’t have been made by some bloody love potion.”

“You know what you need to do then, right?” Harry was looking at Ron expectantly.

“Yeah, I know,” said Ron as he stood up and walked towards the Burrow.




Ron took a deep breath before entering the Burrow and walking up the stairs to Ginny’s room. From outside the closed door, he could hear the muffled sounds of Hermione crying and Ginny trying to sooth her. He knocked and there was no response. He knocked again. “Hermione, it’s Ron. Please let me in. I need to talk to you. This was all a big misunderstanding.”

After a few seconds, he heard the lock on the door click. He sighed in relief. She’s going to talk to me. When the door opened, however, it was not Hermione but a scowling Ginny who appeared.

“Just leave her alone, you prat. Haven’t you hurt her enough for one day?” Ron tried to push past his sister to get to Hermione but Ginny was blocking him.

“Will you just let me talk to her?” he pleaded. “I can explain everything.”

“What’s to explain? You humiliated her in front of everyone. She thought you meant what you said.”

“I did mean it!” Ron was shouting now.

Hermione suddenly appeared next to Ginny. Her eyes were red and her hair was wild. “You did?” she asked softly.

Ron felt himself blush. “Yes, Hermione. I meant it. I do love you. I do think you’re beautiful. I’ve just been too scared to tell you. That love potion that Fred and George slipped me may have made me tell you sooner than I had planned, and in a much more dramatic way than I had planned, but it didn’t make me lie.”

Hermione was looking at Ron skeptically.

Ron felt his heart drop. She has to believe me. “Please, Hermione…please believe me,” he begged. “I don’t want to hurt you anymore, I only want to make you happy. I promise you.”

“Oh, Ron,” Hermione was crying again, “I thought that you didn’t mean it…”

Ginny gave way and let Ron into the room before stepping outside and closing the door to give them some privacy.

“Don’t cry, Hermione,” Ron said as he gently wiped her tears away and took her into his arms. “I did mean it. I’m in love with you. Can’t you see? You’re everything to me.”

“You don’t know how long I’ve waited to hear you say those words.”

“It can’t be any longer than I’ve wanted to say them.” Ron gave a sheepish grin.

Hermione giggled, despite her tears.

“Hermione, did you mean what you said earlier “ that “ that you loved me too?”

Hermione’s cheeks turned pink and she looked down. “Yes, I did.”

Ron smiled and lifted Hermione’s face ever so gently so that their lips were only inches apart. He inhaled deeply and then softly pressed his lips to hers. He felt tingles run through his body as Hermione began to kiss him back passionately.

“Wow, that was some first kiss,” Ron breathed, when their lips finally parted.

“But, Ron,” said Hermione, looking confused, “we already had our first kiss outside in the garden.”

He took her hand and kissed it. “No, love, that one didn’t count.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=39332