Happily Ever After?? by Ithilden
Summary: A one shot story showing that love is a choice that you have to make everyday.
Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1555 Read: 3015 Published: 12/12/05 Updated: 12/12/05

1. none by Ithilden

none by Ithilden
Happily Ever After??

Hermione had to write something. She knew it wasn’t healthy to keep her frustration bottled up. Quickly she grabbed a scrap piece of parchment, a quill, and some ink.

“Once upon a time…”how many stories begin with this phrase? A typical cliché, which alerts the reader to a story full of romance and adventure, and always ends well: the Prince riding off into the sunset with his dazzling princess. As one finishes this tale they think to themselves, “Wow, I wish that was my life… maybe someday it will be.” They dream of the perfect wedding with that perfect man who will whisk them away to live an enchanted life. Then the wedding day comes. The happy bride walks down the aisle with tears of shear joy making her sparkle. She looks so happy and she feels that this feeling will never end. The reception was better than she could have dreamed and her father was able to get that special discount for the food. She goes to sleep that night deeply content with a smile on her face… Yes, this was a dream come true, the fairy tale turned into real life.

However a year later this “lucky” girl’s not married friend comes to visit her. Know what the friend finds out?

The fairytale didn’t last.
***

Hermione looked down at what she had written. This clearly defined how she felt. She now of course had to add guilt to the list of feeling her crazy hormones had induced upon her, because Ron offered everything she had every wanted in the world. They had a home of their own which they had worked hard for, they had almost everything they could want. The only thing that was missing was Ron’s availability whenever she wanted him. He was constantly training for his Quidditch team, the Cannons. Ron and Hermione had been married for a year now and she was too pregnant to work anymore. Even though teaching was strenuous she refused to stop working until the very day she was due, and then they insisted she go home and rest.

She had been the Hogwarts Transfiguration teacher, and one of the many dedicated Hogwarts alumni that brought their school back to life after Voldemort’s defeat. On the days that her students almost drove her to the edge she would only have to look at the gigantic portrait of Albus Dumbledore and look at the inscription at the bottom, then she remembered why she was doing what she was doing and could go on. She would repeat the inscription even now in her head it stated in honor to him, “Those loyal have not left, may your presence linger as well.” It brought back fond memories of her school days with Harry and Ron.

However now being over a week overdue and horribly uncomfortable she was finding it hard to think of anything as fond except for the fact that she was once thin and not pregnant and those thoughts only made it worse. Why didn’t the little creature want to be born? To top off her frustration Ginny had come to visit. Ginny was a very faithful sister-in-law. Whenever Ron was absent she was there to keep Hermione’s mind at ease. But Ginny was beautifully slender, with her perfect proportioned curves and delicate features, and her hair was always perfect, and she was always so calm and collected no matter how hectic her shift had been as St. Mungo’s. Why was her life so perfect?

Again right after thinking it Hermione felt guilty. Her life was wonderfully blessed. She was married and had a beautiful home. She had to keep reminding herself.

Ginny was just being helpful, and now Hermione was resenting that. Hermione sighed, destroying the parchment on which she had written her complaints and , with a little difficulty stood up. Maybe she’d go take a nap. Ron had promised to come home today and she wanted to have the proper energy to greet him.
***

Ginny set her bag down on the floor. She had Apparated from Ron and Hermione’s to St. Mungo’s to grab her things, and then she Apparated home. Harry still wasn’t home from the Ministry. She sighed as she moved towards the kitchen.

She envied Hermione with her wonderful marriage and a little one on the way. Ginny had always wanted kids, but Harry was still battling with the idea of marriage. “Move in together” didn’t scare him but add a ring to the picture and he started to get nervous. Though Mum and Dad hadn’t been pleased, and her brothers had all been shocked to varying degrees Ginny had moved in with Harry in his quiet country cottage the moment she had turned seventeen. She had just currently been elevated from assistant healer and she was loving her job.

Their relationship had started three months after Harry defeated Voldemort by destroying the sixth Horcrux and then proceeding to duel expertly until Voldemort fell. Harry had disappeared after that for three months. Only Ron and Hermione knew where he was and they would never betray his confidence in them. Then quite suddenly he had appeared in her house with his broomstick and an invitation to join him for some drinks. They had talked about everything. Even now, five years after that night, Harry was still surprising her with romantic little actions. However, even after five years together and no indication of either side wanting to part ways Harry refused to go any further than where they were because he wasn’t ready for anything long term.

She poured the hot water into a cup and made some tea for herself and Harry, when he arrived. She curled up on the armchair in the den. She was so frustrated. She really wanted to start a family, but what she wanted more was a family with Harry and it seemed he wasn’t ready for that yet.

Emerald flames flared at the fire place. She set her tea down. It was Ron.

“Ginny! It’s Hermione.”

“I’ll be right there.” With a pop Ron disappeared. Ginny wrote a quick note to Harry and Apparated to St. Mungo’s.

The reception witch quickly informed her where to go. She rushed into the room. Hermione was breathing very quickly and looked as if she were trying hard not to scream. There were tears rolling down her face.
***

It was done. As the cry of her baby filled her ears Hermione let out a sob of joy.

“Hermione-” Ron was speechless as he embraced her tightly. As Ginny laid the newborn girl in Hermione’s arm he whispered. “Love, I hate to tell you this, she has to be the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.”

Between her sobs Hermione laughed. “I know.”

Just as Ginny was finishing up the door burst open as Harry charged in. “I just found out. That bloody receptionist wouldn’t tell me where you were. Congratulations, Ron. Your family is out there. Can they come in?” Harry stopped when he saw their little daughter.

Hermione noticed his eyes flick to Ginny. Of her two friends Hermione had always though Harry would be the first to settle and have a family considering he seemed more perceptive to others than Ron was. However even though he and Ginny had been together for five years he still was afraid to commit permanently.

Just then she noticed that Ron had left the room to tell the rest of the family.

There was an awkwardness in the air that was growing by the second. “Er “ I’d say that I’d leave you two alone, but seeing as I just gave birth to a child that’s not a very easy thing for me to do right now.”

Ginny and Harry, who had been staring at each other seemed startled at her presence. Harry nodded and left. After checking Hermione again Ginny left as well. Hermione looked down at her daughter. “So do you like the name Ginerva?”
***

Ginny Apparated back to the cottage. She found Harry sitting on the edge of their bed with his back to her. Oh no, what could this mean?

“Gin “ ” Harry began. He shook his head and began again, still not looking at her. “Ginny, there’s something I have to tell you. Please don’t stop me because I don’t know if I’ll be able to get it out.”

“Ever since the end of the war I’ve struggle with the thought of letting someone closer to me because I was afraid to lose them of hurt them. But now I see that this fear is holding me back from truly loving you the way you deserve. So here it goes. Ginny, will you marry me?”

Ginny didn’t realize that she cried out yes, that she had jumped at Harry. He turned just in time to catch her. They landed on the floor and kissed.

“Want to have kids too?” he asked.

“Yes, yes, yes.” They embraced tightly. “Harry James Potter, I love you.”

“I Love you too.” He kissed her again.

Maybe “happily ever after” wasn’t an illusion after all.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=39459