Their Special Night by rowdy_redhead
Summary: One-shot. Song-fic to Arctic Monkeys, I Bet That You Look Good On The Dance Floor. It's the night of Bill and Fleur's wedding. Harry and Ginny haven't yet had a chance to talk properly, but if Ginny get's her way, that is all about to change...
Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2892 Read: 1561 Published: 12/20/05 Updated: 12/20/05

1. Their Special Night by rowdy_redhead

Their Special Night by rowdy_redhead



Disclaimer : I don't own anything about the Harry Potter world. I am not making any profit from this fic. The only thing that's mine is the plot-line.


________________________________________________


Stop making the eyes at me,
I'll stop making the eyes at you.
And what it is that suprises me,
Is that I don't really want you to.



________________________________________________

Hermione turned to Harry, grinning.

"Look," she said in a tone of amused exasperation. "If you want to dance with her, just go aske her. You shouldn't just sit there staring at her."

"What?!" exclaimed Harry. "What makes you think I want to dance with her? And I wasn't staring at her! Who's this 'her' you're talking about anyway?"

Hermione looked at him pityingly.

"Look," she repeated. "We all know you broke up with Ginny at the end of last year, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't still be friends with her. I mean, you've already danced with me, haven't you."

Harry sighed. He hated it when he was talked into doing something.

"Fine," he replied, getting up and walking over to get a butterbeer first. He had known that it would be difficult to come back to the Burrow, but he hadn't realised how difficult it would be to see Ginny again. All through Bill and Fleur's wedding ceremony he had been thinking about her. The way she would twirl her hair around her finger when she was thinking. The way her silvery laugh would make him feel like everything could be okay after all. He sighed again.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

At the sound of the voice behind him, Harry jumped almost a foot in the air. The silvery laugh as he swung around made his stomach flip as it did every time he heard it.

"Erm, Ginny. H-Hi," he spluttered.

"Are you alright, Harry?" Ginny asked, concern etched into her face.

"Erm, yeah," replied Harry, recovering his composure. "Yeah, I'm fine," he lied. "How are you?"

Ginny frowned slightly as she noticed how quickly Harry wanted to change the subject and he looked away from her eyes as if he was afraid she could be using Legilimency against him. To provide a cover for looking away, he coughed and took another swig of butterbeer. As he drank, he caught Hermione's glance. She glared at him as she mouthed something. Ask. Her. Now!

Harry felt his cheeks redden and he turned back to Ginny.

"Erm..."

"Yes, Harry?"

"Would you... I mean... Maybe..."

"Sorry, Harry?"

"Erm, I... Well... I was just thinking..."

Ginny sighed at Harry's inability to phrase the question.

"I'd love to dance with you Harry."

With that, she grabbed his hand and pulled him onto the dance floor, Harry blushing furiously. Almost everyone in the huge hall they were holding the reception in turned and watched as Ginny dragged Harry into the centre of the floor, which only caused Harry to blush harder.

"I've missed you Harry."

Harry jumped, startled out of his embarrassment by Ginny speaking to him.

"Yeah," he replied. "I've missed you too."

Ginny looked up but Harry refused to meet her eyes. She noticed he had tensed a bit and regretted referring to his summer, however obliquely. He must have been extremely lonely during the couple of weeks that he had been forced to stay at his aunt and uncle's before he could leave. He had been flattered to find that Bill and Fleur had held back their wedding day until he could be there with them.


________________________________________________



Your shoulders are frozen (cold as the night),
Oh but you're an explosion (you're dynamite)



________________________________________________


Harry examined the beautiful red head that was resting on his chest. The song that was playing was exciting and fast, but it was as if the two of them were glued together – they hadn’t let go of each other since they had started dancing over an hour ago. Other than Bill and Fleur, and Ron Ron and Hermione, Harry and Ginny were the only ones left on the dance floor. Someone, probably Fleur, had decided that the hall, despite its huge size, was too stuffy, so they had moved the dance floor outside. Harry took his hands from around Ginny’s waist and ran them up her arms to her shoulders.

“Ginny!” he exclaimed. “Your shoulders are frozen!”

Ginny looked around as if she had just woken up and didn’t know where she was.

“What are we doing here?”

Harry grinned. “Fleur decided that the hall wasn’t big enough, so we all got moved out here. Have you been asleep or something?”

“No, actually Harry Potter I wasn’t. I was just exceptionally relaxed, that’s all. What did you have to go and move me for?”

“Maybe because you’re freezing. Come on Gin; we need to go inside.”

“Nonsense,” Ginny replied. “I’m not cold.”

Just at that moment, just when Ginny didn’t want it, a chill shot up her spine, causing her to shiver uncontrollably. Harry caught her eye and grinned again.

“Fine,” Ginny muttered, just as a quick dance tune started. She pulled back on Harry, who had been trying to get her to come off the dancefloor and back into the hall, and whispered into his ear.

“There are other ways to keep warm.”

Harry, catching her drift, groaned.

“Gin, you know I can’t dance.”

“Oh come on Harry. Please?”

Harry still looked like he wanted to go back into the hall, so she quickly spoke again.

“Unless you want me to freeze. After all, it’s not going to be any warmer in the hall, so I’ll just be sat down and cold instead of dancing and getting warm.”

Harry rolled his eyes.

“Fine Gin, you win.”

“Ha!” she laughed. “You’re a poet!”

“Don’t I know it!”

They bother laughed and joined in the dance, mostly Ginny pulling Harry along, Harry trying to keep up, but it was safe to say they both enjoyed it.


________________________________________________


Your name isn't Rio,
But I don't care for sand.
Lighting the fuse might result in a bang, with a bang - go!


________________________________________________


Twenty minutes later, both Harry and Ginny were exhausted. There had been seven quick dance tunes played in a row, and the two of them had danced straight through all of them. Somewhere along the way, Harry had finally got the hang of it and by the last song, had even managed to lead Ginny, instead of the other way around. They had both decided to have a rest. Ginny sat next to Harry on the long benches either side of the extremely large table, still covered in the remains of the buffet.

“Your mum really out did herself this time Ginny.”

Ginny smiled at Harry.

“Yeah, she did. I think she had some help from Dobby, but she definitely out did herself.”

“Dobby helped? But I thought I sent Kreacher to make himself useful?”

“Well, yeah,” Ginny replied awkwardly. “He was kind of, well, useless actually.”

Harry sighed.

“Well, I guess I probably expected a bit much from him. He’s probably too senile now to do anything other than potter around, picking up things that belonged to the old Blacks. I didn’t think he’d do much, I just wanted to help somehow.”

“Harry…”

“No, it’s okay Ginny, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to put a damper on things.”

Ginny stood up, her demeanour suddenly angry.

“Harry Potter, the day you deliberately try to ruin anything for anyone I will make sure you know about it! You need to talk to me about things!”

“Like why I broke up with you?”

Ginny started in shock. Yes this was where she had wanted to lead the conversation, but she had expected to have to draw the information out of him; persuade him, take it slowly. She hadn’t expected him to just come out and say it straight away. She shook herself slightly.

“Was I that obvious?” she asked, flopping back into the seat next to Harry.

“Well, not really, but I kind of guessed that you wouldn’t be satisfied with what I told you at Dum… well, you know, the funeral.”

He shifted slightly. Ginny, sensing his discomfort, caught his hand. His cheeks reddened slightly, but he didn’t pull away and he turned and looked her in the eye.

“The truth is, Gin, I love you.”

“Then why…”

“Please Ginny, let me finish. I love you so much it hurts. You complete me. I feel so much better whenever I see you and whenever I hear your voice I feel like it could all work; I could defeat Voldemort and we could all get on with our lives. I wish I could shout out across the roof-tops how much I love you, but I can’t.”

Ginny was amazed that he was telling her this. She knew she loved him just as much, if not more, but hearing him say it made it all real. She waited for him to continue, but he seemed to be having trouble articulating what it was he wanted to say. She tried to help him by filling the silence.

“If you love me that much then why can’t we be together? You know I love you too, right?”

“Of course Gin. I feel how much you love me every time we touch. Every time we're together, it's like fireworks are exploding around us and I'm ten feet tall. Every time we kiss it's like we're the only people on the planet. I can even forget about Voldemort when I'm with you.”

As surprised as Ginny had been before, she was triply so now. She had never realised Harry felt so strongly for her. She felt herself blushing, and almost subconsciously, snuggled up to him a bit more. She felt him move his arm, then start and put it back where it had been. She sighed slightly, not loud enough to attract his attention.

"You still haven't answered the question..."

"Oh gin, the reason we can't be together is because I love you so much. If we were together... Voldemort would use you. There isn't even, he might use you. He would use you."

"Like I said at the funeral - What if I don't care."

"Like I said at the funeral - I care."

"But Harry... Surely we can work something out...?"

"No! We can't!" exclaimed Harry, suddenly angry. "This is why I haven't been able to talk to you about it! If we carry on this conversation, I know that somehow you'll convince me that allowing us to be together and for you to come with us is the best thing I can do. Then what would happen? If you died out there it would be my fault. I would have allowed it to happen! And would your mother feel any better about it?"

Harry quickly jumped to his fet and pretended to be talking to Mrs. Weasley.

"Oh, I'm sorry Mrs. Weasley, but Ginny's dead! Don't worry though, she got what she wanted because she got to come with us! Is that what you want?" he asked. His voice had dropped to a whisper and his expression was deadly serious.

"Yes."

Harry's jaw dropped.

"What? You actually want me to have to tell your mother that you died because you came with us?"

"No," she replied coldly. "If I would ide, and to be honest, as likely as it is, I somehow don't think that's going to happen to me while you're around..."

"Exactly! I..."

"Harry Potter," Ginny interrupted in a tight voice. "I didn't interrupt you when you asked me not to, now please show me the same courtesy."

Harry looked at his feet, which Ginny took to mean okay.

"Like I said, if I was going to die, I would want my mother to know that it had been because I chose to put my life in danger by helping to rid the world of Voldemort, rather than because I was forced out of hiding and used as a hostage. Besides, with you around, I think the people that are with you are actually safer than people who aren't. After all, you're the only one with any chance of defeating Voldemort."

"That's the main problem, Gin," said Harry miserably, looking into her eyes for the first time since they had started this conversation. Harry's quiet voice raised hopes in Ginny. Finally, he was about to tell her the reason that he had hedged around during the whole of their conversation.

"What is?"

"I would die for you Gin. I would gladly die rather than see you get hurt. And if I did, there would be no one left who could defeat Voldemort. The world as we know it would be over."

Only one thought had really registered with Ginny. Her insides felt like a huge balloon had suddenly appeared and begun to inflate in her happiness.

"You would die for me?"

"Of course."

Ginny felt like the balloon had grown so big, it was squeezing her from the inside out. She suddenly knew where to take the conversation.

"What about Ron and Hermione? Are you telling me you wouldn't do the same for them?"

"Of course not! I love them almost as much as I lve you, Gin, just not in the same way."

Ginny grabbed her chance.

"Then why would me coming along make any difference?"

"What?" he replied. "But, I just said..."

"You just said you would die for me, yes. However, you also said you would do the same thing for Ron and Hermione, who are definately coming with you. So, if he used one of them against you, what would be different to him using me?"

Harry's mouth opened and closed for a couple of seconds as he tried to think of an answer. After a while, he grinned ruefully.

"I guess you're right."

The two of them sat in silence for a couple of minutes, each to their own thoughts. Ginny; thinking about what Harry had said. He loved her so much he would die for her. This would take some serious getting used to. Neither Dean or Micheal had ever even used the L word, let alone this. Harry, however, was thinking rather more stable thoughts. He had suddenly realised Ginny had been right all along. He was feeling happier than he had in years, sat here, with Ginny in his arms, knowing that she loved him enough to put her life in danger for him, but trusted him enough that he would be able to look after her. He noticed Ginny shiver slightly, just as a quick 80's dance tune started.

He smiled.

"Want to dance?"


________________________________________________


I bet that you look good on the dance floor,
I don't know if you're looking for romance or...
I don't know what you're looking for.
Well I bet that you look good on the dance floor,
Dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984,
From 1984!



________________________________________________


A/N: Hi, this is just a quick ficcy I did to pass some time at my dad's. However, this is also a sort-of lead in to my seventh year fic, Harry Potter and the Search for the Horcruxes. (I know, I know. Naff Title. I've never been one for thinking up original titles, but hey, at least it's relevant:D) I don't really have a beta, but my dad and my sister have plenty of time to point out all the little mistakes I make so I can go back and change them, so thanks to them! Lol, so anyway, thanks for reading, and if you really want to show your appreciation, leave a review! ;) Seriously, even if you just want to tell me what a rubbish mess I've made of fic writing, just tell me. I love to hear comments about what I'm writing, even if it's just telling me that I should go somewhere else ;) ;) ;)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=40131