Beautiful Disaster by FirstDaysofSummer
Summary: The story of Lily and James's seventh year: when they found love in the midst of secrets, changing friendships, and death. The ending was tragic, we all know, but what was the rest like?
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 2159 Read: 1456 Published: 12/21/05 Updated: 12/21/05

1. Chapter One by FirstDaysofSummer

Chapter One by FirstDaysofSummer
Disclaimer: Fools! You dare think I could ever own Harry Potter? (Because I don’t.)


Beautiful Disaster
By FirstDaysofSummer


“Where there is love, there are always wishes.” “Willa Cather


The last traces of summer, such as soft breezes and a fading sun, had come to the village of Godric’s Hollow. The air was becoming cooler as evening approached, and stars appeared in the sky’s expanse one by one.


Near the edge of this village, Godric’s Hollow, stood one of the larger estates in England. It sprawled across several acres, with a few more for grounds surrounding the building. Neighboring houses were farther down the lane, and a few people were out getting the evening edition or lounging on their front porches.


Just inside the previously mentioned residence’s doors, a young man nearing eighteen years sat on the edge of a coffee table. His name was James Potter, and he was staring expectantly at his fireplace.


He sat still, only occasionally reaching up to run a hand through his already messy hair, a habit which had started over his years at Hogwarts. James had thought it made him quite good-looking, like he had just won a quidditch match or something, but then it became a habit done without second thought.


Moments passed and the fire changed into green. A grin spread across James’s face and he stood up, welcoming the young man that stepped out of the grate.


“All right, Padfoot?”


“Hey, mate.” Sirius straightened up, adjusting a bag he had casually thrown over one shoulder.


Sirius Black was the picture of elegance with an aristocratic nose and shoulder-length hair that fell gracefully around his face. He crossed a rug in a few steps and stood in front of James, his deep, grey eyes shining in the semi-darkness of the room.


“Good living in a real house again,” he commented with a grin as he surveyed the room.


James snorted as the two began walking out of the room and towards the staircase. “Please, you’ve spent half your summer here. I don’t know why you even bought that flat. And you’re only here for one night, besides.”


“Yeah. But tomorrow we’ll all be at Hogwarts and I still won’t be living alone. Hey, have you seen Wormtail this summer? I only glimpsed him once at Diagon Alley. He was hanging around with some blonde girl across from Gringotts,” said Sirius, tromping up the stairs after James.


“Really? I haven’t seen him either, actually… He got himself a girlfriend, then?”


“’Spose so. Hey.” Sirius had stopped and closed his eyes suddenly, dropping his bag.


James rolled his eyes, but smiled, as a shaggy-haired dog appeared next to him. It barked sharply and ran the rest of the way up the staircase. James smiled and picked up Sirius’s bag, and also began running.


1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1


“Vernon and I are to be married,” announced Petunia Evans suddenly.


Her sister Lily looked up at her sharply and then rolled her eyes. Vernon was a complete git, in her opinion. Too boring for even Petunia.


“Oh. Well, dear, are you sure this is what you want?” asked Mrs. Evans carefully, taking the news in.


Lily snorted inaudibly across the table from the other two. Her mother had almost forced her to spend lunch with her and Petunia. They were seated around the table in the Evans’s kitchen, having just finished their meal. Mr. Evans was busy at work, as usual.


“Yes. I was thinking about a winter wedding, maybe December. Or would that be too close to Christmas?”


“December is fine. I’m sure you’ll make a lovely bride.” Mrs. Evans smiled dutifully at her daughter. “Did you hear about Lily’s news? She’s been made Head Girl. Isn’t that lovely?”


Petunia’s smile slid off of her face, replaced by a slight frown that she clearly did not want her mother to see. She quickly shot a nasty look at Lily, and looked back at Mrs. Evans.


“Oh, really? That is nice. So, I was thinking about light pink for the bridesmaids’ dresses,” Petunia continued, tapping her fork on her plate.


“Too boring,” Lily interrupted indifferently, crossing her arms.


Petunia turned to her sister. “I don’t think so,” she said delicately, with an ugly look on her face.


“Well, it’s your wedding,” replied Lily with the tone of ‘It’s your funeral.’


“Yes,” said Mrs. Evans with a tone that closed the exchange. “Lily, do you know who will be Head Boy?”


“No, Mum, you’ve already asked me that,” said Lily grumpily. She was being rude to Petunia, yes (though it didn’t really matter as Petunia deserved it), but she knew she shouldn’t have snapped at her mum. Lily blamed it on mood swings. “Well, I have some homework I’d like to finish up before school starts.”


Lily stood up and pushed her chair in with her hip, picking up her plate and cup from the lunch. She walked over to the sink and set them in, knowing that it could have been done by then if Petunia wouldn’t scream everytime she used magic.


“Yes, school starts tomorrow,” Mrs. Evans informed Petunia, who forced a smile and nodded, then started talking about her wedding again.


Lily sighed as she walked up the staircase. It could not be plainer that Petunia did not care about Lily, and only wanted to talk about her wedding. Lily knew that her parents spoiled her and paid more attention to her than Petunia, but that was no excuse for Petunia hating her. It wasn’t like she enjoyed it or anything.


She had already done her homework at the beginning of the summer, when she had been completely bored. Lily had redone it and studied over and over in the middle of summer, and mostly just slept throughout the end.


Her room was red and gold after Gryffindor, with rich brown wood furniture and several pictures and posters along the wall and on the shelves. A younger redheaded girl with varying ages was in most of the pictures, always grinning or laughing. It was pictures of Lily throughout her life.


The picture she had most recently put up was right across the room from her bed’s headboard. It showed a two-months-younger version of Lily standing next to a slightly shorter, also grinning girl, who looked the same age and had her arm thrown around Lily.


Just then Lily glanced up from her spot flung across her bed and saw the image. She smiled slightly, seeing the familiar dirty blonde head and eyes that looked remarkably like hers, only hazel. Both girls eyes sparkled and shined with excitement; it was the last day of sixth year and they were seventeen. In the picture they were waving and giggling crazily. Behind them was the Hogwarts lake.


Lily sat up and looked at a worn piece of parchment laying on her desk across the room. It was a letter from the dirty blonde, Holly Marie Madden, and had contained a short note and the photograph.


Someone knocked on Lily’s door.


“Yes?” she called out, flopping back on her bed and staring at the ceiling.


The door opened and Mrs. Evans appeared in its place. “I’m going for a bit of shopping, dear. If there’s an emergency-”


“I can apparate out,” interrupted Lily. “Petunia still here?”


“Yes.” Mrs. Evans hesitated, and took a few steps towards her daughter. “Lily… do make sure your sister is kind while I’m gone. Dad won’t be home until five. Be sweet, the both of you.”


“We will,” Lily carelessly assured her mother, and Mrs. Evans left.


She turned to her side, seeing pictures from her first, second, and third year. They covered one wall. Fourth and fifth year had gotten a wall, and sixth had got its own. The other wall was all images of Lily from before she went to Hogwarts, and she was saving the ceiling. . .


“Brat!” shouted Petunia, slamming Lily’s door against the wall.


Lily jumped a little and sat up, putting on her emotionless face. She must have drifted off to sleep, thinking, but she wouldn’t let Petunia get any satisfaction other than burning off her anger on Lily. Petunia strode into the room and stood a few feet from Lily, her hand planted on her hip.


“Excuse me?” Lily replied, raising an eyebrow. But inside her mind raced.


“Oh, you’re rich. You really think you’re all that, don’t you? Just because Mum and Dad can never shut up about you, you’re somehow better than me or something!” Petunia screamed. Her face turned white with anger.


“There are a surprising amount of people that actually think I’m better than you. Wizards and witches, you know.”


Petunia flinched and clenched her hands. “Freak,” she whispered harshly, glancing around Lily’s room to try and spot her wand. “I hate you.”


Lily blinked. “Okay,” she said coolly, with a brave face. “Is that all?”


“Yes, that damn well is all!” Petunia shrilled, turning around abruptly and slamming her sister’s door again.


Lily’s hands shook a little, and she forced herself to lay back down. Oh, yeah. Her ceiling was for seventh year pictures. If she ever got there.


1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1


Four boys huddled around a deck of cards in a circle. A strong fire was burning near them, as late as the hour was.


“I’ve won,” shouted Sirius, standing up and dancing a little. He laughed, swinging an empty firewhiskey glass in his hand.


“Sit down, Padfoot,” laughed a shadowed figure. Flashes of the fire showed a worn, but smiling face, Remus Lupin.


Sirius flashed a wolfish grin and dropped to the floor of the Potters’ spare room. It was a favorite hangout of the Marauders.


“Another game, then?” proposed Peter Pettigrew, the smallest boy there.


“Sure, But you have shuffle!” Sirius laughed hysterically and lay back, resting his head on the seat of a chair.


“All right, but no more firewhiskey for you,” mutter James, smiling a little. He took Sirius’s glass, finished it off, and hid it on the floor behind him.


“Never mind,” said Sirius dramatically. “Let’s play a drinking game!”


James and Remus rolled their eyes, and Peter looked on, waiting for the decision.


“Let’s not. We have to get up early in the morning for Hogwarts.” Remus took out his wand. “Soberius!”


The grin on Sirius’s face dimmed, but his face was still as bright. “Fine then. Thanks though, I wouldn’t want a hangover with tomorrow being so damn important and all.”


“Our… last first day of school,” threw in James.


“Yeah, and it’s our last year.”


Sirius leaned in to Peter, whose eyes widened. “That’s what he said.”


Peter’s mouth made a small ‘o,’ and his cheeks turned slightly embarrassed. Sirius grinned and looked around.


“Where’s my firewhiskey?”


“You finished it up, remember?” lied James, and then smoothly changed the subject. “I bet Lily will be Head Girl.”


“Of course,” Sirius said, interrupting what Remus was about to say. He snorted. “Who else would?”


“Well, I thought it was between Lily and Al-” started Remus.


“Evan’s a good choice… especially for Prongs,” said Sirius slyly.


“When did Prongs start calling her Lily?” Peter asked confusedly.


“Don’t be thick, Wormtail,” Sirius sighed. “It’s only the fourth time he’s mentioned her tonight.”


“You’ve been counting?” Amused, James raised his eyebrows.


“Yes, I’ve seen him roll his eyes four times, too,” Remus jumped in, with a friendly smile at Sirius.


“You aren’t giving up on her then?”


“Nope,” James answered Wormtail. He leaned back on his elbows. “I’m going to be a decent human being towards her, and not ask her out.”


“Make her come to you?” Sirius grinned, carefully stealing his firewhiskey back from behind James and sneaking a sip. He was of age.


But James wasn’t paying attention to Sirius. “Something like that. Maybe be friends with her…”


“I think that’s a good idea.” Remus nodded his approval, and shot Sirius a glance. “And actually care about the girls you date, unlike Padfoot who also seems to have a liking for too much firewhiskey.”


James’s head jerked up and he laughed, seeing Sirius desperately try to guzzle down the last of the firewhiskey in his hand before James took it from him.


But he knew seventh year had so many possibilities. Anything could happen, even the seemingly impossible.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=40273