The best present of all by Nieriel Phoenix
Summary: Answer to challenge #5 by Nieriel Phoenix of Hufflepuff house. Christmas eve is aproaching, and Tonks and Lupin are getting ready. Parties are arranged, presents bought and made...but which is the best present of all????? Takes place during HBP. Tonks and Lupin's relationship and the Weasleys' Christmas party are altered.
Categories: Remus/Tonks Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1556 Read: 1911 Published: 12/21/05 Updated: 12/21/05

1. One-shot by Nieriel Phoenix

One-shot by Nieriel Phoenix
Disclaimer: J.K.Rowling owns the toys, I’m only playing with them.

THE BEST PRESENT OF ALL


Tonks sat at her kitchen table, concentrating hard as she put the finishing touches on the book she was making.


“Done!” she exclaimed, snapping the book shut. The silver title gleamed on the dark blue cover. Marauders at Hogwarts. It contained all the Marauders’ adventures Sirius and Remus had ever told her about, and was to be a present for Remus. She had written it in the hope it would cheer him up.


She picked up her quill to write a note on the fly-leaf “ just as an owl flew through the open window and landed heavily on the table.


“Errol!” she gasped. “Whatever are you doing here?” She frowned. “Sorry, that’s a stupid question.”


Taking the letter from the Weasleys' owl, she handed him a bowl of water, which he sipped gratefully. Curiously, she opened the letter.


Dear Tonks:
We’re having a small Christmas party at The
Burrow and we were wondering if you’d care to join us, if you don’t have other plans, that is. We know you usually spend Christmas Day with your family, but since it’s on Christmas Eve, we hope you’ll be able to come. The kids will be here, and Remus and Mad-eye are probably coming too.
With love,
Molly and Arthur


P.S. do come Tonks, it’ll be really fun!
Love,
Ginny



Tonks grinned. “This is perfect! I’ll be able to give Remus his present, and I’ll tell him that I love him and…and I’ll move to Venus. Have I gone mad? I can’t tell him I love him at the Weasleys' Christmas party! We’ll both be so embarrassed… especially if he doesn’t feel the same way! Still, I’ll have to tell him sometime…”


The young witch sighed. “Oh well, I’ll think about that later. Now, what can I write on the fly-leaf?”


She stared at the paper for what seemed like hours, but nothing suitable came to mind. She was about to give up in despair, when an idea popped into her head.


“Of course! Why didn’t I think of this before?”


*******************

Remus Lupin strolled aimlessly down Diagon Alley. He had almost finished his Christmas shopping; there was only one present left. However, he hadn’t the least idea what to get.


“Just what,” he asked himself, “do you buy for someone you love, but who almost certainly has no such feelings for you?”


A jeweller’s shop caught his eye. As he stared into it he noticed a pair of silver earrings. They were shaped like crescent moons, with a tiny, sparkling white gem in the centre of each earring.


Remus smiled. They were perfect for Tonks.


As he exited the shop a few minutes later, Lupin smiled ruefully. It was ironic that the bane of his life should be the perfect present for the woman he loved.


*******************

Christmas Eve


Tonks knocked on the door of The Burrow, which promptly flew open to reveal a smiling Molly.


“Tonks! Do come in! I’m so happy you could come!”


Tonks followed Mrs. Weasley into the living room, as Ginny ran in.


“It’s great to see you! Do you like my decorations? What’s in those bags?”


“Wouldn’t you like to know,” Tonks teased, looking around the room. Paper chains were lavishly festooned. Fred and George’s fireworks soared around the room. A Christmas tree, with a fairy that Tonks suspected was actually a gnome, occupied pride of place.


“Your decorations are great, Ginny. Where’s everyone else?”


“Everyone who’s staying here is still upstairs. Moody hasn’t arrived yet and Lupin isn’t coming, he had a bad night yesterday.”


Tonks’s heart dropped at Ginny’s last words, but she somehow managed to keep her emotions from showing on her face.


“So, what do I do with the presents I’ve brought?” she inquired.


“Put them under the tree, dear.” Molly replied. “I thought we’d open them at midnight for a change, if that’s all right.”


“Sounds great.” Tonks frowned, noticing the handwriting on one of the presents already under the tree. “I thought Remus wasn’t coming.”


“No, he isn’t, but he brought his presents earlier today. It’s a pity he couldn’t come, but he really looked exhausted.”


At that moment, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Fred and George came down the stairs. Bill and Fleur followed a few minutes later, just as Moody arrived. Soon, they were sitting down to dinner.


Finally, midnight struck. At once everyone gathered round the Christmas tree, looking for their presents. Calls of thanks filled the room.


Tonks looked at the label on a small parcel, and her heart missed a beat. To Nymphadora Tonks, from Remus Lupin. Carefully, she opened it to reveal… the most beautiful earrings she had ever seen. Smiling happily, she brushed back her mousey brown hair and put them on.


Some time later, Tonks decided that it was time to leave, since everyone “ herself included “ was noticeably tired.
She was about to Disapparate home, when a thought struck her. Maybe Remus was at Grimmauld Place! She knew how much he missed Sirius, so he might have gone there to feel closer to him.

*******************

Standing in the kitchen at number twelve, Grimmauld Place, Lupin poured the hot chocolate he had made into a mug. He sighed. Coming here had seemed like a good idea at the time, but he was sorry he had thought of it now. The old house only made him feel more miserable.


Suddenly, he heard knocking on the door. Wondering who it could be at this time, he went to open it. Tonks stood on the doorstep.


“Merry Christmas, Remus! Can I come in?”


“Yes, of course,” he replied, wondering what she was doing here.


They walked through to the kitchen, and Tonks handed Lupin the parcel she was carrying.


“I thought you might be here, so I came to give you your present,” she said, smiling. “Go on, open it.”


Removing the wrappings, Lupin stared in astonishment at the book. Opening it, he saw a note on the fly-leaf. Merry Christmas, Remus! Love, Tonks. There was also en envelope, attached to the fly leaf just below the note. He pulled out the letter and began to read.


Dear Remus:
I know you probably don’t feel the same way, but I can’t hide this any longer. I love you, Remus. I’ve loved you for ages. I thought you were a great person the first time we met, and as I got to know you, I fell in love with you. I know I’m just a clumsy girl, and too young for you, but I can’t help it, I love you. I wrote this because I couldn’t think of a better way to tell you. You don’t have to reply if you don’t feel the same way. I mean it. I’m sorry if this bothers or embarrasses you, but I just had to tell you.
I love you.
Tonks




Lupin could not believe his eyes. She loved him! She felt the same way he did! He looked at Tonks, unsure how to express his thoughts. “Tonks…” he began.


Tonks began to talk rapidly, sure his hesitancy meant he didn’t love her.


"I meant what I said in the letter, you don’t have to say anything if you don’t feel like I do, I’ll understand. Really, it’s…”


“Tonks!” Lupin cut across her. “I do have to speak, because… I love you, Tonks.”


He never knew after what had prompted him to do this, but he stepped forwards and kissed her.


Neither knew how long the kiss lasted; it was if time had stopped for them. As they came apart, Lupin smiled. Tonks’s hair had returned to its vivid bubblegum pink. He saw that she was wearing his present.


“I’m sorry I didn’t have a better present for you,” he whispered.


Looking deep into his warm eyes, Tonks replied. “I know that you love me, and that is the best present of all.”

THE END

Author's Note: I hope you liked it!!!! If you read it, please review!!! Constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated. Please don’t be too hard, it’s my first Harry Potter fic. and I don’t have a beta yet.
About opening presents on Christmas Eve...I haven't gone crazy, it's done in some countries (such as mine), and it saves everyone from having to write thank-you letters :-D

12/27: 68 reads but no reviews??? It doesn't take very long, you know!!! I don't demand huge reviews, but something would be apreciated!!!

01/06: Thank you, Hermione499 and Joshua Loves Heather!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have given me hope!!!!!!!! :D And thanks to all 184 people who read, even if they didn't review!!

02/08: Thanks also to LadyLuna and lilluthor for reviewing!!!!!!!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=40325