Selena Anarya by Miss
Summary: Can a letter change things? Can the life you have known forever, turn around because of it? Follow the life of Draco Malfoy, after he receives a most unexpected letter. AU since HBP.
Categories: Hermione/Draco Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 24719 Read: 41502 Published: 01/03/06 Updated: 10/02/06

1. Death In The Family by Miss

2. A Beginning In Understanding by Miss

3. Conversing by Miss

4. The Letter by Miss

5. Proles Ater by Miss

6. Old Friends and New Ones by Miss

7. Ile Saint-Louis by Miss

8. Selena Anarya by Miss

9. Meeting Another Snape by Miss

10. Reflections by Miss

11. Finding Out by Miss

12. Another Question by Miss

13. Beginning To Understand by Miss

Death In The Family by Miss
You know it, I don't own it.


Chapter 1: Death In The Family.





“Are you sure you want to do this? I mean, I know having a…a girl there will be better but well…” Draco looked at her questioningly. “You didn’t ask for this,” he added, more as an afterthought.

“Since when do you care for what I want?” She felt anger flare in her for just a moment. “Just lead the way, you annoying, twitching, little...” She quickly stopped, not uttering the name the fake Professor Moody had provided them with in their fourth year. “Sorry Malfoy, I mean Draco, I…” Again she stopped, for once not knowing what to say. Finally she looked Draco straight in the eye and sighed. “No, I didn’t ask for this, but I want to help.”

“Thank you.” Hermione could hardly believe she had heard something so un-Malfoy like come out of his mouth, again. She just gave him a small smile and motioned for him to lead the way.




Draco

The last two months have been very strange for me. I had never expected that I, Draco Malfoy, would participate in the things I participated in. I never expected to become the person I am today, nor that I would live this life. I would have hated everything about this just a little while ago.

Strange how something you believe in, a life you live because that is the way your heart desires it; can change so quickly. I remember every little detail about these past months. But I remember the beginning the best.

It was a simple note my father wrote to me. Sitting at my House table of Slytherin, eating breakfast, our eagle owl brought me his note. Even before I had read the note, I became wary. Our owl hardly ever brought me notes. Candy or some potion or other artefact usually, yes, but never a written word. Communicating in this fashion was considered too dangerous and my family therefore never used it. But there it was, nonetheless, a note from my father, telling me to come home after taking my NEWTs, which were almost over by then. It said that my mother had passed away, and that I was expected to be at Malfoy Manor to attend her funeral and, of course, the much more important reception afterwards.

I did not want to go; I never really had any love for her, Narcissa. She was my father’s wife and my mother. Nothing more, nothing less. I hardly even knew anything about her. However, I could not and would not ignore a direct order from my father, even if it had arrived in a manner I found difficult to understand. So a few days later I went, not knowing where it would lead, not expecting anything spectacular to happen. Certainly not expecting anything other than meeting with my father’s friends; perhaps setting up a few ‘connections’ of my own.

The good thing about arriving at Malfoy Manor on that warm Friday morning at the end of June would be seeing my father again. I proceeded through the black doors into the hall, feeling the cold my home offered me. Cold in a good sense, somehow.

My father was standing on the last step of the marble staircase leading from the grand entrance hall up to the first floor. I slowly walked up to Lucius, tall, regal and aristocratic looking. He greeted me in his usual manner, not showing any emotion, no insight to whatever was on his mind. He always had been a true Slytherin in that sense, and it made me feel a sense of pride to see him like that, surrounded by all the splendour that Malfoy Manor had to offer; it made me proud I was his son.

I wanted to be like Lucius, I had known that for a long time. I wanted to be so much like him that I was at that point even letting my hair grow longer. I wanted to be like him because this man had taught me everything about the Dark Side and his Dark Lord. He wanted me to become a Death Eater, and I, let's just say that I wanted to make him proud. But it was not just making him proud, I wanted to serve the Dark Lord and rid this world of the filth that we had to share it with. I would receive the Dark Mark willingly a fortnight from this day, serve my lord proudly and uphold the name of Malfoy.

I felt like it would all start that day, at the funeral, showing my father that I would uphold his name, uphold my Slytherin side and the Dark Side I wished to serve, simply by behaving in the appropriate manner everybody expected of me. I felt like my life was embarking on a new path and it was, just not the path I expected, anyone expected.

“Draco.” Always with that drawl. “You have arrived. I expect you to be in the library on the first floor in two hours.” He looked down on me, even if he was hardly taller than me anymore.

“Yes, Father.”

When I passed by him he put his hand on my shoulder. I was surprised by this; he never did anything like this unless it was important. I turned to look at him again; surprise at his touch was probably evident in my eyes, even if I tried to hide it. I wanted to be like him, but I was no Lucius yet.

“Oh, it seems your mother left something for you.” A slight emotion came over his face. It was one of the few that a Slytherin would allow themselves; dislike.

“What is it, Father?” Whatever it was, I was sure that I didn’t have any interest in it. But again, I wouldn’t ignore my father and he had mentioned it.

“Some letter.” Another look of dislike flitted across his face. “I don’t think there will be anything of interest written in it.”

Lucius inclined his head towards me. There had been no other emotions in our conversation than the two moments of dislike, but it was clear to me. If there was something of interest I should notify him of the matter. I walked up the stairs to the second floor. A walk through the darkened corridor, the paintings of other Malfoys following my every move like always, I finally reached my room and there on my desk was indeed a letter from Narcissa.

My room was on the East side of the Manor and the morning sun was streaming in through the windows, lighting up the whole room. Blinking against the sudden light after the dark corridor, I took the letter from the large mahogany desk and sat down on my bed. I pushed the green and silver pillows aside and proceeded to open the letter, the magic in it evident.

The first thing I noticed was that Narcissa had not used the Malfoy seal; I was surprised to see the Black crest. The surprise changed to curiosity when I recognised the magic I had felt was actually located in the Black crest she had used to seal it, it seemed only I was able to open the letter and read its contents. It made sense to me now why my father wanted to know the contents, why he had even bothered to mention it; he had not been able to read it. In doing so Narcissa had kept something from him and no one ever kept a secret from Lucius Malfoy.

Curiosity, careful curiosity, carefulness slowly took over.

I read the letter with a careful distance, like the distance I had always kept between unknown magic and myself, between Narcissa and myself. But the more I read, the more I was pulled into her letter, her life. It was that letter that started everything, that day was indeed the beginning of all the changes, although I did not know where it would lead me. I did not, even then, realise what her words would mean to me.

I read the words she had written several times before realising I should change for the funeral. People would be arriving soon, and it would be inappropriate for me to not be there, pretending to be the loving, and mourning, son. Upholding the name of Malfoy, with another fake mask carefully placed over my face. I carefully put the letter away and walked over to my closet. I changed to all black, and in a moment of sadness, put a silver serpent bracelet around my wrist, a gift my mother had given me for my birthday three years ago, a gift I now understood better; I was ready to face everybody, even Lucius.

I went down one floor and walked into the library and to my father's side. He raised one brow in question. I simply shook my head, telling him that ‘no, of course there had been nothing of interest in that letter, just the sloppy stuff that Narcissa was capable of.’ By the smirk that followed I could see his thoughts, if only for a second. He believed there was nothing in that letter, in his mind Narcissa was too senseless to write something that could change anything. It did, however, change something in me. It seemed that Narcissa was capable of something after all, of changing something. For the first time in my life I did not follow my father’s order. I did not intend to let Lucius know anything about the letter. I took my place beside him and simply stood there. I stood there, sadly wondering if I ever would be the mourning son I pretended to be at that moment.

In a daze, I left the library two hours later. Lucius had told me to go back to Hogwarts and I did. I walked up to my room, picked up the letter from where I had hidden it and walked out the front door. I took a look around me, taking in the splendour of Malfoy Manor, and the gardens surrounding it, wondering when I would be back again. I Apparated to the edge of the Hogwarts' grounds. It was probably around 1:30 pm when I walked up to the front doors, intending to go to my dormitory. The only thing I wanted was solitude and that letter. For the first time in my life I wanted to be alone with my mother.

I didn’t look where I was going and that was when I walked into her. The touch of the bushy frizz of her hair on my hand was enough to let me know who it was. Another one of those things that changed that first day. Not that I wanted her to.

“Watch where you’re going, Mudblood!” I tried to glare at Granger as I was standing up again, but I guess I was too preoccupied with that letter. It must have shown on my face that something was amiss; my mask must have slipped, because instead of a retort she looked at me questioningly.

“Are you all right?” I knew I had to get away when she asked that question.

“Fine, Granger,” I muttered, and I walked off to the dungeons. I wanted my solitude and I didn’t pay her any attention anymore, I should have but didn’t think her worthy of it. It wasn’t until I was up in my dormitory that I found out that the letter was gone, it was obvious where I had lost it. I could have killed myself, because now it was for anybody to read. I ran back to the Entrance Hall and saw Granger still standing there, holding my letter, reading it. Like I had feared, the magic protecting it from my father’s eyes was broken now that I had read it.

“That’s personal, Granger! Accio letter!” This time I had no trouble glaring at her but I was not ready for her response. It sounded so sincere…even if it was an order.

“Follow me, Malfoy.” She looked at me with concern written all over her face.

“I don’t follow orders from a Mudblood like you, Granger.” I gave her the famous Malfoy smirk and was ready to turn back to my dormitory.

She gave me an appraising look and simply stated, “I’m sorry for your loss, Malfoy, but it seems that you need to make an extremely important decision. Since you also seem to be in no condition to make any decision at all, I’m taking you to see the Headmaster.” As she turned away from me and walked up the staircase, I felt I had to follow.

To this day, I still do not know why I actually did follow her. Maybe it was the logic in her reasoning or the fact that she knew my secret. She was still a Mudblood, so why should I follow? I just did, I guess. She took me to Albus Dumbledore, my father’s enemy. Before she opened the door to his study for me, she grabbed my arm and looked me in the eye.

“I will keep your secret.” Her chocolate brown eyes were sincere.

“Thank you.” I was surprised by different things at that moment. By Hermione’s, or was it still Granger’s, honesty and my own gratitude, but even more so by Albus Dumbledore, who already seemed to know my predicament.

“Miss Granger, will you please join Mr. Malfoy and myself in this conversation. I think Mr. Malfoy can use all the help you can offer him. Since you are already aware of his situation this will, of course, include your silence.”

She took her hand off my arm and searched my face for any reaction, any emotion. I showed her none. Finally, I gave her a slight nod. We both settled in the chairs in front of Albus’ desk and I focussed my attention on him. It was an intense conversation that followed.




AN: My first and only Draco/Hermione fic. Let me know what you think of this chapter, cause a large part is still in the writing.

A big thank you to Hells, who was the first to read this and beta it for me.
A Beginning In Understanding by Miss
You know it, I don't own it.


Chapter 2: A Beginning In Understanding.





Hermione




I remember the day this all started as clearly as if it was only yesterday. I wouldn’t have believed it if anyone had told me where I would be today, or that day, for what it matters; I didn’t even believe what was happening that first day until I saw the truth with my own eyes the day after. No, I would have laughed, thinking about the non-existing possibilities of this situation becoming a truth. But now, looking back on it all…I believe everything, every little detail engraved in my mind. I wouldn’t want to change a thing. I’m glad I was able to help and become part of all this, part of this secret, this new family.

It all started the day after our final NEWT exams. Two weeks of some of the toughest exams I had ever sat through, and coming from me, Hermione Granger, the smartest witch of my generation, that is saying something.

Everyone was in Hogsmeade celebrating the end of the exams, the end of seven years studying together. Knowing we would soon say goodbye to each other, we wanted to spend every last second celebrating together, just being together and not think of the day that we would have to say goodbye. We all wanted to keep in touch and were already making arrangements to get back together again. But at the moment, I was late and about to go meet up with Harry, Ron and Ginny and join the celebrations. That’s how it all started, with me being late and rushing out of the Entrance Hall.

There was a reason I was late that day, why I was still in the castle instead of being at the Three Broomsticks with a Butterbeer in my hand, talking with my friends and having a good time. Sticking to the little traditions that had become my own these last seven years, I had slept in a little on the first morning after the exams. Afterwards, again as usual, I had written a letter to my parents telling them how my exams had gone and then taken a long luxurious bath. I loved these little moments alone, thinking about how I had done in the exams in peace and quiet, before letting it all drift away from me until I would receive the results. It was probably 1:30 pm when I headed down to the Entrance Hall; I thought the castle was empty, my thoughts would soon be proven wrong.

Right as I was about to exit through the great oak doors and into the sunny grounds of Hogwarts, Draco Malfoy walked in and we literally crashed into each other. For a moment we were both stunned to find another person inside the castle. As we were both scrambling to get up a few seconds later, the blow I was waiting for fell and I was ready to defend myself. I just never came around to the defending part.

“Watch where you’re going, Mudblood!” It didn’t hurt anymore, not after so many years of hearing it and not actually knowing what it meant, the first time he ever called me that in second year. When I looked at him, glaring as usual, I instantly knew something was out of place. I knew he was trying to glare at me too, but his cold grey silver eyes were missing the usual manic glint he wore especially for me. I didn’t know what to make of it; he looked different, almost…sad. Was it possible that maybe not everything in the life of the Great Draco Malfoy was perfect?

“Are you all right?” The question scared him off. To be honest, it scared me too, but I’m not the kind of person to kick someone who is already down, I was and am a Gryffindor, and it felt like he was already down, no need for further kicks. He seemed to be in pain and the offering of kindness was all I could do, it was the right thing to do. I guess his answer scared me just as much as my previous response had scared him.

“Fine, Granger,” he muttered, and then practically fled from the light in the Entrance Hall, through the heavy black doors into the darkness of the dungeons. I stared at the doors for a moment, feeling slightly awkward that he had let me go so easily, without more verbal abuse. Something must be wrong, for him to not only let an opportunity to insult me go by, but to be friendly instead. I was stunned, even if it was only for a moment.

I turned away from him and was almost outside, deciding to let Malfoy be if I could, when I noticed some parchment on the floor. I was still more in thought about the strange situation I had just been in than anything else, so I thought nothing of it, just a spare piece of parchment until I actually touched it. I picked it up and instantly wanted to drop it again, a huge amount of concealment magic resided in this parchment and I felt as if it would burn my fingers. I kept it carefully in between my fingertips and turned it over a couple of times, actually surprised that it hadn’t gone up in flames already.

At first it appeared completely blank, but then slowly words started to appear, the burning sensation disappeared when the letter had finished revealing itself.

It was obviously a letter. It was a female kind of handwriting that I was not familiar with.

I instantly knew it belonged to Malfoy, even with the Black crest on the outside and before I read his name, but I was too curious. I was attracted by the strength of the magic and the sadness of the letter, the same sadness I had seen in his eyes. I started reading. I was almost in tears and at the end of the letter when the black heavy doors to the dungeons swung open again. Malfoy responded before I could even think of what to say to him. I saw the pain and sadness more clearly this time. I felt sorry for him, it started at that moment. I knew what I had to do, even if the consequences of my actions were completely unknown.

“That’s personal, Granger! Accio letter!” As I pushed the tears away from my eyes, I saw he was glaring at me, for real this time, including the manic glint. I could see the anger in his eyes as the letter flew out of my hands and into his outstretched ones. Anger…and still, there was that sadness deep inside of him. And the pain, there was so much pain.

I did the only rational thing that came to mind; the thing I usually wanted Harry and Ron to do whenever we were about to land ourselves in another crazy adventure. I somehow had to convince him to come with me; I had to get him to the Headmaster before he did something rash and stupid.

“Follow me, Malfoy.” I knew there was a look of concern on my face when I said it, concern with a bit of sadness in my eyes, but I had to use all my strength to keep it there. I was no Slytherin with the perfect mask for every occasion, no bit of Malfoy or Snape in me.

He looked at me with pure disbelief all over his pale face, a little less Slytherin himself at that moment. I would have giggled, had the situation been any different. His response, a tad slower than normal, was, however, as expected.

“I don’t follow orders from a Mudblood like you, Granger.” He gave me the famous Malfoy smirk and I knew he was about to stalk off to the dungeons again. My mind was racing, even more than it usually would. It seemed he still had his mask but I was slowly breaking through it. Thinking about different methods I had used on my friends, taking into account the Slytherin in Malfoy, depending on my own Gryffindor courage, I decided that the truth and my reasons for it would be the only thing left now, the only way to break the mask. All I could do was hope that he would listen to my words.

“I’m sorry for your loss, Malfoy, but it seems that you need to make an extremely important decision.” I looked at him in what I hope was a sincere way, thinking I needed to sound fair and rational at the same time as well. “Since you also seem to be in no condition to make any decision at all, I’m taking you to the Headmaster.” I turned away trying hard to still keep my face in that sincere but otherwise impassive expression, I walked up the stairs. I softly sighed in relief when I realised that he was actually following me.

He took no notice of me when we were walking. I knew his mind was racing, thinking of that letter and what to do, even more so than me. He didn’t notice me giving the password to the ugly stone gargoyle either. “Sherbet Lemon.” The Headmaster used that password at least once every year; he loved that particular piece of candy. We stepped on the rotating staircase together, which slowly took us up to his office.

Right before knocking on the door, standing just outside the office, I carefully placed my hand on Malfoy’s arm. This seemed to bring him back to reality a little; at least he was willing for a moment to look into my eyes. I looked deeply back into his silver eyes; they already seemed less distant, less cold.

“I will keep your secret.” I poured every bit of honesty into those few words and he seemed to notice. I felt there was nothing more I could do for him, keeping his secret as promised was the least.

“Thank you.” I was about to walk away, startled that he had actually said those words and, by the look in his eyes, meant them, when the Headmaster’s voice reached me. I hadn’t noticed him opening the doors. I turned back to him, listening to his words, but keeping my hand on Malfoy’s arm a moment longer.

“Miss Granger, will you please join Mr. Malfoy and myself in this conversation. I think Mr. Malfoy can use all the help you can offer him. Since you are already aware of his situation this will, of course, include your silence.”

I took my hand off Draco’s arm, was it Draco now, or perhaps still Malfoy, and instead I searched his face, his silver eyes, looking for a sign that he wanted me there as well. When he gave a slight nod, the only thing I could find, we both walked in and settled ourselves across from Albus Dumbledore. I didn’t look at the Headmaster, all I wanted to do was comfort the person sitting next to me, but I knew he wouldn’t let me, so instead I listened and we talked. An intense conversation followed.




AN: Thanks Hells, you are the best. And thank you to all those who have read this so far, and left a review. Those few words you leave behind, mean everything to me.
Conversing by Miss
You know it, I don't own it.


Chapter 3: Conversing.





“Miss Granger, will you please join Mr. Malfoy and myself in this conversation. I think Mr. Malfoy can use all the help you can offer him. Since you are already aware of his situation this will of course include your silence.” Albus Dumbledore looked at the two students before him. He saw the desperation in Mr. Malfoy’s eyes and the uneasiness in Miss Granger’s. He could help, but first the two young people before him needed to calm down.

“Please, the both of you come in and sit down.” Returning to his own chair, Albus Dumbledore gestured to the two students to follow his words. “They are quite comfortable even if I say so myself,” he chuckled lightly. Looking at their Headmaster a bit apprehensively, Hermione and Draco both walked to the front of his desk and sat on the squishy chairs that had been conjured for them by the Headmaster.

Hermione smiled at her Headmaster, even with the weight of the letter still on her mind and wondering why Dumbledore had invited her in, she appreciated what he was trying to do. Malfoy needed all the help he could get, but before that he needed to trust the people willing to help him, including her. So she sat down a bit more graciously and accepted the tea Dumbledore had conjured right after the chairs.

“Mr. Malfoy?” Draco came out of his thoughts for a moment, “Would you like some tea?” He accepted the tea, not really taking in all the other aspects that came along with this simple offer, and took a few sips. Staring over his cup and out the window onto the Quidditch pitch, he fell back into his own world again.

What are you doing to me Narcissa, what is it that you want from me? I’m not the son you think I am; you were never able to trust Lucius and you know I’m like him, so why do you trust me now? With this of all things? Why do you make me do this, force me to make choices that contradict all the choices I have made before? You should be glad mother, that I don’t have the Dark Mark yet. Shit, the ceremony, what will I do? You see what trouble you are giving me now, Narcissa…

“Sir, I think there is something you should know and…” Hermione had been looking between Dumbledore and Draco ever since she accepted the cup of tea and was becoming more and more uncomfortable with the silence. Surely Draco realised that he needed to make this decision soon, and if Dumbledore seemed to know that something was going on, why wasn’t he saying anything. She was, however, stopped by a wave of his hand as Dumbledore started to speak.

“I know where you are going, Miss Granger, but I think Mr. Malfoy needs to explain this to me.” Albus gave her a quick look before returning to Draco. She kept quiet and saw that the usual twinkle in his eyes had gone and turned to Draco herself. She still felt like comforting him.

Albus was silently surveying him over his half moon spectacles for a moment, a sad look coming into his eyes. “Mr. Malfoy, I’m sorry for your loss.” These few words seemed to make Draco come fully out of his thoughts for the first time since entering the Headmaster’s office.

“How did you know? I…I didn’t even tell Pansy or Professor Snape for that matter. I didn’t even tell them where I would be this morning. I…I don’t need your…” ‘pity?’ Draco was eyeing the Headmaster now, dislike towards this Muggle lover and doubt about being in his office, evident in his usually so controlled face. ‘Why is he looking at me like that, why does he even care? What does he want from me? What are you doing to me, Narcissa?

“Professor Snape notified me this morning where both you, and he, would be the better part of the morning. It was also he who, upon returning, told me something seemed to be wrong with you in such a way he had never noticed before. He felt you were no longer aware of your surroundings, something which can be dangerous at times like these. He warned me about this, because he knew your father would send you back here, to Hogwarts, a save place but one where you seek solitude. Severus knows his godson well; he knew you shouldn’t be alone.” Draco grimaced, his emotions of doubt and dislike ebbing for a moment. ‘Yes, his Godfather did know him well, better than his own father it seemed. At least it explains why he was constantly looking at me in the library.

Hermione looked at Draco with a slight hint of surprise in her eyes, even though she should have guessed this connection existed. It explained why Professor Snape favoured Draco even more than the rest of his precious Slytherins. She looked back to the Headmaster, who was kindly smiling at the both of them. She could see he was still worried, the twinkle in his eyes had not yet returned. So she kept silent for now. After her talking out of place the first time, she felt it was no longer her place to just speak up. To be honest, she felt as if she wasn’t supposed to be in this office at all.

“Miss Granger brought you here for a reason, Mr Malfoy.” Hermione felt a small blush creeping up her cheeks at the quick look Draco sent her, she took a small sip of her tea before looking up again. “It was the same reason Professor Snape came to me the moment he returned from your mother’s funeral ceremony. Will you tell me what this reason is and let me help you?” The question lingered in the air for a while. Draco closed his eyes, feeling a bit angrier towards his mother with every new problem he encountered, while he considered these words.

It seemed Lucius was right, the Headmaster is a meddling old fool. How can he help me, nobody can, not even my father.’ This thought startled him and later he noticed that was another one of the first changes he made, he knew he could no longer trust his father or any of his old friends. ‘Can I still trust Uncle Severus, or should I start trusting Albus Dumbledore? Maybe I can, Uncle Severus seems to trust him, at least enough to share his concern about my wellbeing. But again, can I still trust Uncle Severus? He is after all still one of them.

Draco opened his eyes, settling his gaze on his Headmaster. He knew what he had to do, he had taken one step in this new direction, and he might as well walk and take another. “I don’t know if I can trust you, sir.” This time he was more able to plaster his face with the usual Malfoy mask to hide his laughter and doubt at the same time. Laughter at the indignant look on Hermione’s face, ‘It was still fun to bait her.’ And doubt whether he should take this road towards the Headmaster.

Despite her earlier resolve Hermione didn’t keep silent any longer. “I shouldn’t have brought you here then, you ungrateful, twitchy, little ferret! I should have just let you…”

Albus just chuckled at the little scene before him; it was always nice if someone defended you, but Mr. Malfoy was right. “Miss Granger, you will refrain from calling him names and you, Mr. Malfoy, well I can’t make you trust me. However you knew what would be coming when you accompanied Miss Granger here and walked into my office just moments ago.” The sad and calm expression returned to his eyes, that twinkle seemed to be completely gone for today.

“If I ever find out you so much as breathe a whisper about any of this, I will kill you, sir.” Draco stayed calm, even felt calm, when he said this. It felt right somehow to defend his mother, even when he didn’t know where this new feeling of protecting his mother’s honour came from. Albus inclined his head, showing Draco he understood. Hermione, her eyes ablaze, was about to start at him again, but the Headmaster held up his hand to stop her and then accepted the letter Draco held out to him.

“I regret to admit it, but you take after your father Draco, Lucius would probably be proud if he heard you say this. I also have little doubt that you would be capable of doing just that. However, I will not betray the little trust you give me by showing me this.” Again Albus inclined his head and then started to examine the parchment he was holding, looking for a moment at the Black crest. “Ah, Narcissa. Yes, you always prided yourself on being part of the Ancient and Noble family of Black,” he muttered.

Just like with Hermione the letter burned in his hands for a few seconds before the writing appeared. He frowned a moment at the amount of magic evident in the letter. Both students looked at their Headmaster intently while he read the letter. Hermione was anxious to discuss the magic that was evident, and the implications of the words. Draco in puzzlement that the letter decided to show itself, wondering if it choose who could read it, instead of showing itself to everybody now that he had read it.

Except for the portraits moving to see the letter, the Headmaster’s office was silent.




AN: A big thank you to Hells, who was the first to read this and beta it for me.
The Letter by Miss
You know it, I don't own it.


Chapter 4: The Letter.





Malfoy Manor
1st June 1998


Dearest Draco,


When you find this letter, it will mean I am no longer in this world. I expect it will not be much longer anymore, your father has made that much clear to me. I guess I have accepted that he sees me as one of his many possessions. He always has treated me that way, ever since we met at Hogwarts, and who knows, being betrothed to him since before I can remember, may have made me think that way as well. It is the truth now; now I do belong to him. But there is, and always will be, a part that belongs to me too, a part that Lucius will never be able to destroy. A part you deserve to know about.

Oh Draco, my dear son, there is so much I would love to tell you about me. I want to tell you about all the beautiful and sad things that occurred in my life. There is also so much I want to show you, explain to you. But most of all, I wish I could have told you how much I love you, my son, how I loved everything about you even before you were born. How I loved my life more because you were there, but most of all I want you to find it for yourself.

I guess I will never be able to tell you, because you are another one of your father’s prized possessions. One that he favoured over me, one he did not let me get close to. I am happy he is proud of you because it spares you much pain.

I know these words might make you angry, because it hasn’t been easy for you to be your father’s son either. Maybe you feel I should have fought harder for you, for your love, to keep you from your father’s hatred. I feel like I no longer deserve to say that I love you after the life we have hardly shared. Maybe that is true, but I do love you, I just chose another. I am not writing this to tell you about my life; because there is another that you need to know about. It started long ago, even before you were born, but nothing really happened until four years ago.

I am sure you can remember our summer four years ago. The summer you came home, only to find me on the kitchen floor. I was unconscious when you found me, probably dying if it had not been for you. Because of you, I survived; but my heart broke when I found out that it had been you who brought me to St. Mungo’s, you that had saved my life. As you know, it had been one of your father’s attempts to show me who was in charge, one of the first attempts to get rid of me forever. For me, however, this attempt, and the painful knowledge that you were the one who had found and saved me, was the reason to leave.

I did it, Draco, I left.

My hope was that your father would not punish you for what you had done, if I was not around to remind him of what he had tried, and failed, to do to me. I knew he would be angry, so angry for his son to save someone he no longer deemed worthy of living. So after my release from St. Mungo’s, I left; for three weeks, I escaped to Paris. The Black family has a luxurious apartment on Ile Saint-Louis in the middle of the river Seine. I went there knowing no other Black, or Malfoy for that matter, could find me.

After my arrival I called upon an old friend to help me recover. Those three weeks were glorious, perfect for the recovery I needed. We rekindled our old friendship and became more. But I did more than just recover thanks to him, I became pregnant as well. I knew I could not let anyone know, and I never did. I especially could not tell your father, for he would have killed me and the child I was carrying. I never told my friend either; he is a proud man and he would have claimed his child, which would have brought death upon the child and him as well.

But now I am gone and I am reaching out to the only person I can trust my secret to. You Draco, my son, I am reaching out to you because your sister needs your help.

Selena Anarya. Born on 19th April 1995.

She is the most beautiful little girl that I have ever seen. At three years of age, she is full of laughter, joy and love; she is the most perfect combination of her father and me. I have hidden her in the Black apartment, under the care of a house-elf named Lydia, and protected her from the magical world, raised the way I would have raised you, were your father any other man.

However, your father is not the only reason I have kept this secret, you see, I no longer care for my own life, just for that of my two children. I do not know why or how, but from the moment she was born I knew, just like I knew with you, that she would be extremely powerful. Also with her being a Pureblood, I knew there would be those looking for her, for her powers to join them. Of course, you know who I am talking about.

So I kept her safe, kept her hidden. But now I am gone and she is in danger and I will not let anybody do to her what your father did to you. You both deserve better.

You might be wondering, Draco, why I am telling you all this, since you are on the Dark Side already. Yes, I know of your love for the Dark Side, my son. I have seen the respect you hold for your father and his Dark Lord. I know that as soon as you are free from Hogwarts, you plan on taking the Dark Mark. In life I am not able to keep you from doing this, I do not even know if I can keep you from it in death. I just wish for you to live your own life even with this task I am giving you, not the life your father has planned for you.

Please remember, you are not just the son of Lucius Malfoy, but also my son, the son of Narcissa Black. That is the reason I trust you with this task. I believe there is not just a part of Lucius in you, but a part of me as well, a part that can love. That is the part of Draco that I am seeking for now, the part that can love his sister and protect her.

I have never asked anything of you, but I am asking you this. Please find her in Paris and find a new home for her. My daughter, your sister. Keep her with you so she may be safe from the Dark Side. Bring her up in the world of magic, our world. Teach her how to love and she will love you, her brother.

Selena knows she will be losing me soon; she is quite bright for her age, so she also made one request. If you find her, you need to introduce her to her father.

I know it will be asking a lot from you, but you will find help in unlikely places. Be her brother, Draco, and help will find you.

This is all I am asking of you. Promise me you will help her and you will find her. You will know who her father is when you see her. She will tell you everything you need to know about her, she will tell you her full name and she will know you. Draco, her brother, whom she knows she can trust.


Find her, love her.

Love, with all my heart.

Your mother,

Narcissa Black Malfoy




AN: I don't know what it is like to be a mom, but I became an aunt for the first time last november. Jolien, my new niece, is the most perfect little girl, and I dedicate this little piece to her. Apologies for the shortness of it.

Hells, you are awesome. The first to read this for me and my greatest supporter.
Proles Ater by Miss
You know it, I don't own it.


Chapter 5: Proles Ater.





Draco, Hermione and Albus were still sitting in the Headmaster’s office. They were drinking their tea, thinking their own thoughts about the letter or simply staring out the window. Dumbledore had taken so long to read the letter -- he had actually read it four times to take in all the implications of the words -- that neither of the two students paid him any attention anymore. Nobody was looking at the other, everybody silent and in thought. Even the paintings who had been reading along with the Headmaster, not stopped by the magic imbued in the letter, seemed to be lost in thought.

~

Why, all of a sudden, did you have to become more than just Narcissa, why do you have to become my mother, when you are no longer here? Who is this girl you tell me is my sister? What do you want from me, Mother? I don’t know if I can give you what you need, whatever she needs. I’m dark, bitter, I hate the people sitting here with me, yet you make me open up to them. You tell me that they will help me, but can they? Do I even want them to? Why can’t you just be Narcissa, so I can be the Malfoy I want to be?

~

Draco glanced around once more, noticing that Albus wasn’t reading the letter anymore. He was deep in thought as well.

~

Well, Narcissa, it seems your secret is finally out, I knew you would share it with someone, someday. I think you chose the right person too, and even though he did not willingly choose her, Miss Granger will be the best person to help him in this matter. I still wonder though, there are many secrets. You keep some parts silent. I know what part it is, but are you ready to reveal it?

~

Albus lightly cleared his throat, not wanting to scare Draco and Hermione out of their thoughts too abruptly. It was Hermione who talked first.

“Sir, I know I’m not really a part of this situation,” she stole a quick glance at Draco, “but there is something that is bothering me.”

~

What is going on with that letter, there is magic inside that I have never felt before. And why did it show its contents to me, what part am I in all of this. Surely I play no part, do I? But then again I’m already here sharing my thoughts.

~

“Something other than the contents of this letter you mean, Miss Granger?” Albus had an idea what the young witch was getting at. She was smart and he knew she would instantly look beyond the words and at the magic. He also had an idea why she hadn’t solved the problem yet.

“Yes, sir, the magic in the letter, sir, it is under a very powerful protection spell. We, that is to say, you and me, sir, should not have been able to read it, even if Malfoy wanted us to.” She glanced at Draco again and noticed that he was looking between her and the Headmaster with curiosity. Albus just seemed to smile at her.

“Very good, Miss Granger, very perceptive of you.” Albus gave her another small smile, appreciating her for her quick thinking, before returning his focus on Draco. “Mr. Malfoy, I would like to explain something to you.” With that comment the twinkle in his eyes finally returned, if only shortly. Draco raised his brow in question, he was waiting. “There are actually several things I would like to explain to you, the magic Miss Granger mentioned being one of them, but I would like to begin somewhere else.” Albus sighed. Both Hermione and Draco could see something was troubling their Headmaster. They looked at each other, read the curiosity in brown and silver eyes and quickly looked in front of them again.

“Sir?” Draco chanced. He was getting more and more curious, as well as frustrated that he had already been in this office for almost two hours.

“Mr. Malfoy, you will probably be angry with me but I already know of the situation your mother is in, which means, well, I knew of this child. Please, I know, just let me finish,” Albus sighed. As expected, Draco’s eyes had instant fury in them; strangely enough, both Hermione and Albus noted it made them cold as ice.

Draco was only able to hold himself in, because…“because I need this man’s help.” He sighed deeply, looking at his Headmaster, still wondering if he could trust the old man.

“Explain.” While Albus started talking again, Draco felt his hands become painful, looked down and relaxed his hands so his nails no longer could dig into his flesh. The lines where his nails had been instantly became lighter. He refocused his attention.

“Your mother came to me a little over three years ago; she was pregnant and told me she needed my help. She wouldn’t tell me what exactly was going on, but since I, nor anybody else, had heard anything about another child of Malfoy coming into this world, I knew she needed my help with the child. She needed all the help I could give her, so I did.” Albus closed his eyes before continuing. “I will always help those who ask for it, sometimes even if they don’t.” Opening his eyes a moment, he looked at Hermione and saw the small smile on her face. He turned toward Draco again. “I helped your mother with putting the Fidelius Charm on the apartment she had in Paris. I begged her to let me help her more, hide the child like I knew she must, but she would not let me. I asked her if the father of the child could help.” Albus sighed. “After asking that question she shed one single tear and told me no. She told me to leave her alone; that the father did not even know about the child and that she wanted to keep everybody safe. That is when she left. I have kept my promise and I have never seen her or heard about her child since. Until now that is.”

Draco was shocked, and looking at Hermione, he saw that she was equally astounded by this information. Both his mother and his Headmaster had kept the secret from him for all this time. ‘Well, I wasn’t particularly close to either of them, so that shouldn’t be such a surprise,’ he thought.

“Miss Granger, maybe you can explain the magic you talked about earlier. I would like to hear your opinion.” Albus focused his blue gaze on her as he spoke to her.

Hermione was startled; so far she had been left out of most of the conversation. She had only chipped in when she thought her comments could add something. Now she was consciously pulled into the conversation. She had felt like an outsider and that is what she wanted to stay, thought that it was her place in all of this. Draco, however, had turned his silver grey, piercing eyes towards her and she saw a lock of blonde hair falling into his sight. She knew she was already a part of this, whatever this was, and could no longer be an outsider, so she started.

“Sir, I-I’m not really sure, you s-see t-the magic in t-that letter.” ‘Oh, stop stumbling, he asked you a question, now answer it!’ she thought as a slight blush crept into her cheeks. “Well, when I picked it up, back in the Entrance Hall, I mean, it was burning my fingers, just like it did to you, sir.” Albus nodded in confirmation and waved his hand to let her continue. “I knew instantly that it was a secrecy charm and a very powerful one. I wanted to let go but somehow I wasn’t able to, well I didn’t want to either to be honest, and then the words started to form themselves. I don’t know why the charm disappeared when only Malfoy here-”

“Mr. Malfoy, please, Miss Granger.”

“Yes, sir, I’m sorry, sir. Well, like I said, the charm should have only disappeared when Mr. Malfoy was looking at it and he wasn’t even around when I picked it up. And…and there is another kind of magic in it, sir, one I don’t fully understand.”

“Mr. Malfoy, what do you make of all this?” Albus was looking at the both of them, asking them questions as if this was some kind of test and not something as serious as the life of a child.

“What do I make of what, sir?” Draco was getting confused. First there was the letter itself, its contents shocking him more than he would like to admit. Then there was the fact that Albus already knew about this child, his sister, and now this magic in the letter. Could it get any worse, can this day become any worse? Draco decided to answer for the first and the last. “I’m not exactly sure what to do yet, sir, but as far as the magic in the letter…well I think the letter answers that question, sir. ‘I know it will be asking a lot from you, but you will find help in unlikely places. Be her brother, Draco, and help will find you.’ That is what it says at least.” He realised with a start that what he said must be true. He already knew the letter by heart, which was also the place where he kept this secret, alongside the bit of love his mother had given him with this letter. Would it become even more? So many damn questions I don’t have any answers to!

“Very good, Mr. Malfoy. I must say I agree. As for the hidden magic, I think I know what that might be since your mother was the Secret-Keeper of the apartment. I think it will be revealed if you decide what you will do next. You must decide, Mr. Malfoy, I cannot make it any easier for you.”

Hermione decided to cut in once again from her outsider, well maybe no longer outsider, position. “You mean he has to decide now?” She could hardly believe the things she was hearing. Her mind had instantly come to the conclusion that the unknown magic was that of the Secret-Keeper, and that if it was, it would dwindle fast since the Secret-Keeper, Narcissa, was gone. But her mind grasped more, ‘Help will find you.’ “Does this mean I have to help him, sir, if he decides to help her, his sister? Because I was able to read the letter, sir?”

“Yes, Miss Granger, on all accounts.” Albus quickly looked back at Draco who seemed to have reached the same conclusion as Hermione had moments before. Draco was staring at her, probably actually seeing her for the first time in all the years they had known each other. “What will you do, Mr. Malfoy? It seems you have been given very little time to decide, your mother’s protection will not last much longer.”

Afterwards he always wondered why he had come to this decision so quickly, but also knew that at that moment it felt, no it was the right decision even if it meant standing up to his own father, to his own beliefs. “I will help her, sir; she is my sister after all.”

Sealing everyone’s fate with his words, all three of them instantly looked at the letter which had begun to glow and had lifted itself off the table for a moment. After a few seconds, it settled back on the Headmaster’s desk. Clearly written at the bottom were four words that had not been there before…

Selena Anarya
Proles Ater




AN: I will give you the translation of these final words in the next chapter, or actually Albus and Phineas will do that for me, so bear with me. Please leave a review.

Thanks Hells, brilliant as always.
Old Friends and New Ones by Miss
You know it, I don't own it.


Chapter 6: Old Friends and New Ones.





When the letter had finally stopped glowing and settled back on Albus’ desk, everybody leaned in to read the new words on the parchment.

Selena Anarya
Proles Ater

Even the former Headmasters all flitted to the painting of Armando Dippet, located behind Albus a little to the left, trying so see these extra words, guessing what the implications might mean. Phineas Nigellus was the first to break the silence that had settled on the room, coughing a small cough he startled everybody. Flitting from painting to painting, he settled back in his high backed chair and with a smug smile he looked around knowingly, nose up in the air.

“Phineas, why don’t you tell us what you make of these words.” Albus knew the former Headmaster and Slytherin always liked to make a show out of his knowing an important answer when nobody else did. It was similar to how Severus Snape would enter a room. Arrogant, all-knowing, and impressive.

“Of course, Albus, but I must say I expected you to know the answer, as well as young Master Malfoy here.” He paused for a few seconds for effect. “Especially, since he is one.”

Not answering anything with these words Phineas smiled at Draco, who was looking between him and Albus, question and curiosity in his silver eyes. He did not know who the man in the painting was or what the old man knew about him, just that, obviously, he had been a Slytherin. Even if his colours hadn’t been green and silver, his manners betrayed his old House, and Draco was Slytherin enough to recognise them. Draco wanted to ask why he should know, but it was the Headmaster who spoke next.

“I do know the answer, Phineas, but what troubles me is the sequence of the words.” Albus’ eyes moved to Draco when he spoke; silently telling his student that everything would be fine. Draco, feeling he wouldn’t get a straight answer right now, let go a bit of the tension he was feeling. Seeing the look on his Headmaster’s face, and the change in the painted man’s face, he knew he would get the story somehow.

Phineas had started to look less smug, his nose coming out of the air. If Albus was talking about the wording then he did indeed know, and Phineas had no idea why the words were twisted. He fell silent, gesturing with his hand that Albus was to continue. But it was Hermione who voiced her thoughts first.

“Why should Draco know, sir, and what is wrong with the wording?” Draco turned to Hermione, completely stunned. Not only had she spoken up when it was most inappropriate, but she had used his name, his first name.

It had been her Gryffindor courage that had spoken up, not really thinking whether it was her place or not to speak. Hermione looked shyly back at Draco, an apologetic look in her eyes. Draco wasn’t sure though, whether he wanted her to apologise for it. It didn’t suit her to be like this, shy and apologetic. Besides, he had liked it somehow. Giving her the smallest of friendly smirks and receiving a small smile in return, he turned his attention back to his Headmaster. He still wanted an explanation.

“The answer to your question is fairly simple, Miss Granger. Whenever a child is born into the family of Black, even if it is only in blood and not in name then there will be a proclamation made. A Child, Proles, of Black, Ater, with the name of the newborn child underneath. Mr. Malfoy here, whose mother is Narcissa Black, was presented as Proles Ater: Draco Lucius Malfoy.

“So it means she, Selena, is a child of Black, but her name was written down first. I still don’t understand what that means, sir.” Hermione hated to be left in the dark, to not understand what everything meant, even if she still felt like an outsider, which she no longer was.

“It also doesn’t tell us who the father is, sir.” Draco had been listening intently, the proclamation of his own name and the difference between his and his sister’s name, especially the lack of a last name. ‘Lack of a last name, but a Black.’ It was as if lightning had struck him for the second time today, but this one was bigger than what he had felt the first time he had read the letter. The truth finally sank in, ‘I have a sister. She is my sister, Selena, my younger sister. A pure-blood, a Black, but with a different father. Who?

“No it doesn’t tell us who her father is, but it will allow you and Miss Granger to find her. It is the magic of the Secret-Keeper and it will guide you to her.” Albus sighed and looked worried again, just as he had at the beginning of the conversation.

“I’m sorry that I’m changing the subject of this conversation around so suddenly, but I feel these words will lead us to Selena, quite literally, and we need to think about how to get her to safety tomorrow. After that, you two will go down to dinner and spend the evening with your friends. Now Mr. Malfoy, I believe you have your own apartment…”

~

Two hours later Hermione and Draco were slowly walking through the hallways together. The plans were set, tomorrow they would find Selena, but for now they needed food and rest. Arriving in the Entrance Hall where so many hours ago they had crashed into each other and started all this…this…well this whole thing, they now found the other students returning from Hogsmeade.

Remembering that nobody was to know about their situation and also the animosity between them and their friends, Draco quickly put on his scowl and stomped off towards toward the Great Hall. He was surprised how easy he could put his old mask back on when he felt as if his whole life had been turned upside down already, even without having met his sister. When he settled at the Slytherin table he looked up just in time to see Hermione walk in with Harry, Ron, and Ginny. Harry glared at him, as did Ron. Draco glared back, before catching Hermione’s eye, smirking at her and turning away. ‘So much for change in that department.’ His smirk quickly disappeared at the next sound he heard. It was coming from Pansy.

“Draco, darling, where have you been all day? I missed you! I told you yesterday I wanted to go to Hogsmeade with you and you didn’t show up.” Pansy sat down in the spot next to him, almost throwing herself into his arms and pouting.

Oh Merlin, this is going to be a long night,’ he thought, rolling his eyes. He started to gather food towards him.

“I had better things to do than hang around with you all day, Parkinson.” He wasn’t really hungry but he knew he needed his strength tomorrow. Besides, it kept him from looking at Pansy, or Hermione for that matter. He ate as quickly as he could, looking forward to the solitude of his room for the second time today.

Meanwhile at the other side of the Great Hall, Hermione and the others were settling themselves at the Gryffindor table. Hermione looked over at the Slytherin table again and noticed Draco being fawned over by Pansy. She turned her attention to her food, slowly moving it around her plate, not really eating any of it, and listening. Everybody around her was talking about their day in Hogsmeade.

“You should have been there, Hermione, we had such a good laugh.” Ron was trying to get her attention; she had hardly been listening to whatever it was that had happened inside Zonko’s.

“Hermione, where are you?” A hand waved in front of her face. “And where have you been all day? I know you wanted some time to yourself this morning, but we haven’t seen you all day until just now.” This time it was Ginny who was trying to get her attention. “Are you okay?” there was a note of concern in her voice and Hermione noticed.

“Sorry guys…” Hermione looked it too. “I was about to meet you guys in Hogsmeade this afternoon but then something came up and I spend the afternoon talking to Professor Dumbledore. I wasn’t able to leave until just now.” She was looking at and playing with her food again, not really wanting to lie to her friends. She knew she couldn’t tell them the truth.

“What did you talk about?” Ron was gazing at her over his plate, not taking a single bite; Harry was looking almost sceptically at her, but it was Ginny who had spoken again.

“All kinds of things, I don’t really want to talk about it right now.” Hermione looked at her friends in turn, pleading with her eyes to please, please, change the subject. Harry got the hint. Picking up his knife and fork, he looked at Ginny.

“So what do you think the end feast is going to be like?” Hermione gave him a thankful smile.

“No clue, it’s going to be top-secret until the feast itself. Besides, it’s not as if I’m allowed to come,” Ginny sighed.

“Of course you can come, you’re Harry’s girlfriend aren’t you? You’ll just have to come as his date.” Hermione smiled from Ron to Ginny, who was blushing. It was nice to see that Ron finally approved of Ginny’s choice of boyfriend. Then she looked at the boyfriend in question and saw a frown.

I’m letting you off the hook here, Hermione, but you weren’t alone in Dumbledore’s office, I saw who you were walking down the stairs with.’ Harry thought glancing at Hermione for a moment before taking a quick look at the Slytherin table. She noticed.

Thank you, Harry, I know you suspect something but I can’t tell you, not yet.’ She gave Harry another thankful smile, then watched as Draco made his way out of the Great Hall, stealing a quick look in her direction. Tomorrow is going to be a strange day.




AN: Proles means child, descendant or young one. Ater is Latin for black. I am absolutely no good at Latin, only took Latin class for one year, so if I’m completely and utterly wrong in what I did with these words, then please let me know.
Ile Saint-Louis by Miss
You know it, I don't own it.


Chapter 7: Ile Saint-Louis.






Waking early as usual, Hermione took some time to remember why she felt a knot somewhere in her stomach. Bright as she was, not to mention a morning person, the memories of the day before quickly flooded her. The letter, the conversations that followed and the trip they would take today. It was time for her and Draco to meet Selena, Draco’s little sister.

Well, first things first, sneaking out without the others noticing me.’ That was the plan they had come up with yesterday. Get up early and quickly eat some breakfast before the others get up. That way she would be gone before her friends could ask too many weird questions. They figured that Draco wouldn’t have too many problems, the biggest one being getting away from Pansy Parkinson. But Hermione had to navigate around Harry, Ron and Ginny.

Going into the girls’ bathroom, she thought about what they would be doing today. She had made up her mind to leave Harry a note saying that she would be gone today. She was positive he had seen her walking together with Draco, and she needed to give him something to keep his mind quiet so he wouldn’t try to come after her, worrying about
Draco hurting her or something like that. He would then be able to keep Ron and Ginny quiet. ‘Yes, that would probably be best.

Going back into her dormitory, she quickly dressed and quietly walked into the common room. Just when she was about to send the note up to Harry’s room, she saw him walking down the stairs towards her. He didn’t wait for her to say anything but went straight to the point.

“What is going on, Hermione?” His face was calm; there was no accusation in his voice, even though he knew she was keeping something from him.

“I’m sorry, Harry, I can’t tell you, not yet anyway. Just read this note. I have to go.” Hermione pushed the note into his hands, turned around and was about to leave through the portrait hole, when Harry spoke up again.

“This has something to do with Malfoy, doesn’t it?” It wasn’t really a question.

“Yes, but please don’t worry.” Harry was frowning at her now, not quite believing that Malfoy was nothing to worry about. “Please, he won’t do anything to me. We have something we have to do together. The Headmaster knows about it, and he won’t let anything happen to us.” She could see Harry still didn’t quite believe her, but he opened her note and while his eyes were focused on the parchment, Hermione quickly left.

She hated leaving Harry like this, but she needed to get down to the Great Hall and eat some breakfast. She was already running late by now, and she definitely needed the food. Walking into the Great Hall, she saw that Draco was already there. He was alone, hardly eating anything and looking extremely pale. Hermione, checking there were no other people around, picked up the plate that the house-elves had prepared for her, grabbed an extra apple and walked over to the Slytherin table.

“You have to eat; you can’t help your sister like this.” She gestured at him. Draco only looked up when Hermione actually sat down next to him. His eyes were dull and there were dark circles underneath them. “Have you slept at all?”

“No, and why do you care whether I sleep or eat?”

Definitely not a morning person then. Fine. I’ll keep quiet for now.’ Hermione took one more look at Draco, then started to eat her own breakfast.

Within five minutes both were finished, Draco had hardly eaten anything, but Hermione couldn’t make him do anything, besides they needed to get to the Headmaster’s office. They got up and walked out of the Great Hall together. They were nervous.

Suddenly, Draco turned to Hermione.

“Are you sure you want to do this? I mean, I know having a…a girl there will be better but well…” Draco looked at her questioningly. “You didn’t ask for this,” he added, more as an afterthought.

“Since when do you care for what I want?” She felt anger flare in her for just a moment. “Just lead the way, you annoying, twitching, little...” She quickly stopped, not uttering the name the fake Professor Moody had provided them with in their fourth year. “Sorry, Malfoy, I mean, Draco, I…” Again she stopped, for once not knowing what to say. Finally she looked Draco straight in the eye and sighed. “No, I didn’t ask for this, but I want to help.”

“Thank you.” Hermione could hardly believe she had heard something so un-Malfoy like come out of his mouth, again. She just gave him a small smile and motioned for him to lead the way.

~

The Headmaster was already waiting for them. “No troubles so far, I take it?”

“I ran into Harry, sir. He knows I will be gone today. He won’t say anything though, he just noticed us walking together yesterday so he knows Draco will be gone as well. I’m sorry, sir.” Hermione stole a glance at Draco to see if he was upset but it seemed Draco had a similar problem.

“I ran into Pansy this morning, but I simply dismissed her. She won’t give us any trouble.” Giving the two people in front of him a small smirk, he explained. “Somehow she follows my orders and I sent her back to bed.”

Dumbledore just shook his head. One thing would never change in Slytherin house. You had the leaders and the followers, and Malfoys would always be leaders. Coming out of his reverie, he took the letter that had started this whole adventure and gave it back to Draco.

“Please listen carefully. I have changed this letter into a Portkey; it will take you to just outside of the apartment. To get inside of the apartment you simply say the words at the bottom of the letter. When you’ve gone inside just look for the house-elf, Lydia, and Selena and take her to your own apartment. If something, anything goes wrong or doesn’t feel right, don’t go there but come back here. The letter will bring you back to my office.”

There was silence between them. A feeling that reality was somewhere outside of the room they were in, a reality that was nasty and unwelcome. Not knowing exactly why they didn’t want to face this reality but feeling a necessity to do just that.

Draco looked at Hermione, offered her the letter and put his hand on her arm. “Let's do this; let's get this first part over with.” Hermione didn’t know where this new Draco had suddenly come from, but she took the letter and looked into those silver eyes once more.

“Let's.”

The two were so caught up in the moment that they didn’t notice the Headmaster counting down. When he reached one, they both felt the telltale tug behind their navels and were instantly transported to Paris.

~

Quickly making sure Hermione was okay, Draco looked around. It was promising to be another beautiful, sunny June day. “So this is Ile Saint-Louis. I guess we really are in Paris then. This is all really happening.”

“Yes, we are in Paris. I have been here before, but I have never actually been on the island itself. It is supposed to be a luxury to live here.” Hermione turned away from the view they had over the Seine; she was still holding the letter. Looking at the boy next to her, she asked, “Are you okay?” He nodded and took the letter she now offered to him. “Maybe you should do this, since you are her brother.”

This made Draco look at his more direct surroundings. They were on some sort of terrace with two chairs and a small table, overlooking the river. Right in front of them was the apartment his mother owned. Like Hermione had just said, luxurious. Holding up the letter, but not really seeing it, Draco finally said the words that would lead him to his sister.

“Selena Anarya Proles Ater.”

Instantly, the door in front of them opened.

Hermione and Draco took one last look at each other before Draco pushed the door open. They quickly entered the house and Hermione closed the door behind them. She didn’t know why exactly but somehow she didn’t feel quite safe being here. Closing the door behind her hadn’t really helped to shake off that feeling, but since the apartment was now once again under the magic of the Fidelius Charm, she figured they were as safe as they could be. When she looked back in the direction where Draco stood, she saw a house-elf trembling before him. ‘That must be Lydia.’ Hermione thought.

“Master Malfoy, what is you doing here? Where is Mrs Malfoy?” Draco could tell that the house-elf wanted to ask and say much more but she had recognised him as a Malfoy and was trembling because of it. It was no wonder really, he recognised Lydia the moment he saw her as well, though why his mother had called her Lydia he did not know.

“Hello, Nalya,” he said simply. “I’m here looking for my sister, my mother told me she has left her in your care and I would like for her to leave this house with me. Mrs Malfoy won’t be coming around anymore.”

Hermione was stunned, not only did the house-elf and Draco recognise each other, but Draco had called her something entirely different than Lydia. And that wasn’t the end of it. After hearing this other name a great change overcame the small creature, from a great sense of fear of the Master she had once known, to a greater feeling of loss as she realised her Mistress was gone. How she knew this was a mystery to Hermione, but she had no time to think about it as several different things happened right at that moment.




AN: Sorry, evil cliff-hanger but I didn’t want to write what you were all expecting. I promise you will meet Selena next chapter.

Thanks to all of you who have left reviews, and to Hells for being an awesome beta.
Selena Anarya by Miss
You know it, I don't own it.





Hermione was still looking at the changes that had overcome the small creature before her. “What did you call her?” But before Draco could even turn around, let alone answer the question, several things happened at once. The most startling perhaps was the ear-splitting shriek that came from the house-elf, but the door at the other side of the hall opened and there was a great burst of magic around them at the same time.

“Lydia, who is there… oh, hello.” A three-year-old little girl came walking through the door, looking at the two people in front of her with polite puzzlement. Nobody except her mother ever came to visit her. But she knew it wouldn’t be her when she had heard noises. Her mother wouldn’t come visiting anymore, even if she didn’t understand why.

If Draco and Hermione weren’t so startled by everything, they might have paid proper attention to her. They would have noticed several things about her, about the way she acted towards them, but most of all the way she looked. But since they had also felt the ripple of magic going through the apartment, they didn’t really take notice of Selena, Draco’s little sister.

“What do you think that was?” Draco asked Hermione. It hadn’t felt good and the shrieks that were coming from Nalya didn’t make him feel any better. In fact he was starting to feel scared, a feeling he had never liked. Trying to hide his fear, he looked at Hermione. He could see that she was scared as well, but somehow she also seemed to be in control of herself. Something he found strange, especially since she was a Gryffindor, but fascinating at the same time. However, as she started to speak he no longer had the time to ponder this feeling.

“The magic is gone. Did you feel it? The protection your mother left is gone, anybody can come here now.” Looking at the house-elf who was still screaming, then at the little girl, who was in turn looking at Draco with a puzzled expression, and then back at Draco, she realised the implications of what she was saying. Anyone could find them now. The thought, if it was possible, scared her even more than she already was. “I don’t know why, but this place isn’t safe. I think we should leave right now.” The words came out in a mere whisper.

If they weren’t all feeling threatened right now it would have been funny to see that the puzzled look on Draco’s face was an exact match to the one Selena had on her face when she was looking at her brother. They even spoke up at the same moment.

“Who are you? Are you my brother, Draco?”

“What do you mean, Hermione? We can go to my flat in a little bit.”

Fighting the urge to run screaming, she tried to convince him otherwise. “No, please listen to me. We can’t stay here and if we Apparate to your flat they can trace us there. It feels like they are looking for us, trying to find Selena. Please trust me on this one, we should leave now and go back to the castle!” If Harry or Ron had been there they would have followed her, having finally learned that Hermione had her moments of knowing exactly what was coming and what to do. Hermione rarely felt so desperate, and Draco had never seen her in this state; therefore, not knowing it was best to just follow her, he ignored her for now.

Instead, he turned towards the still screaming house-elf. “Nalya, stop screaming!” he ordered. Nalya did as she was told, but couldn’t stop whimpering. Normally he would leave it at that, but he knew Nalya never did anything without reason. She was very clever for a house-elf and he knew her very well. “Speak up, Nalya, I can’t hear what you’re saying.”

“Miss is right, Master, we is not staying. We cannot be staying. Nalya can feel them, feel them coming. We is going to need to leave very soon. Little Miss will come too.”

More than anything else, this seemed to bring Draco around. He looked up at the little girl standing near the door and finally answered the question he had vaguely registered moments before. “Yes, I am Draco and this is my… friend…” here he paused and gave Hermione a small smirk, “Hermione. She came with me to pick you up.” Looking back at his sister, and really seeing her for the first time, his mother’s words finally hit home. ‘You will know who her father is when you see her.’ Indeed, he really did know, even if she was the spitting image of her mother, but he was able to hide his shock for now.

“Where are we going?” Selena asked Draco, looking at him expectantly as if she thought she was going on a fun trip. She felt elated to finally meet her brother, even if she knew it meant that she would never see her mother again. It was the lady, Draco’s friend Hermione, who answered her as she walked up to the little girl.

“Well, we were going to go to Draco’s house, but how would you like to go to a castle, a really big, old castle with all kinds of secrets in it?” Hermione knelt down next to the girl, who looked back at her through big, black eyes. “We can leave right now. Do you want to come with us?” Hermione sent a quick glance at Draco before looking back at the girl next to her. She wondered about the secrets of Hogwarts; she felt now more than ever that there were secrets there even she didn’t know about, especially the one she was looking at now.

For a moment Draco looked at the two girls together and even though he didn’t really know either of the two, in that moment he was glad they were there, together, with him. “Maybe you are right, Hermione, maybe we should go back to the castle.” He then turned towards his sister. “Would you like to come with me, Selena?” The little girl looked at him, not surprised that he knew her name, Hermione and Nalya in turn, then enthusiastically nodded her head.

Draco pulled the letter his mother had written out of his pocket and walked over to the two girls, while motioning for Nalya to follow him as well. When he knelt down next to his sister and placed her tiny hand on the paper, he pulled out his wand. While Hermione also touched the letter and took hold of Nalya, Draco muttered Portus and the moment they all felt the tug behind their navels they could also clearly see two Death Eaters entering the apartment.

~

“What was that?”

“Did you see those two?”

“Do you think they saw us?”

“I guess we really did make it out just in time.”

“What were they doing there anyway?”

“Did you see who they were?”

Then as both Hermione and Draco looked down, they asked, “Are you okay, Selena?”

“Are you okay, little sister?”

“Look at the beautiful bird! All red and gold. Look, Draco!”

“Calm down, all of you and tell me what happened.” This stopped all the different questions and remarks, even the one Selena had made. “I presume not everything went as planned, but you are safe for now.” Then, as Fawkes swooped down to her, the old wizard looked at the little girl standing between his top two students; his breath left him. It couldn’t be, yet there was absolutely no doubt in his mind at what he was seeing. He looked at Hermione and then at Draco and he knew they had seen it as well. She was the spitting image of her mother, but it was instantly clear who her father was, the reason why she needed to be kept safe.

Walking up to Selena, he knelt down and held out his hand. “Hello, my name is Albus Dumbledore, and who are you, young Miss?”

Selena looked up at Draco, asking with her eyes what she should do. She liked the way the old wizard in front of her looked, he looked nice, but her mother had taught her to never trust just anyone, except herself and Draco.

Draco, for his part, was shocked that she looked at him for reassurance but gave a slight nod and a smile to indicate that it was okay. He himself, however, was not prepared for what came out of her mouth, even if he had already seen the truth of it.

Feeling reassured, Selena took the hand of the wizard in front of her in her own small hand. With a polite voice and the grace a three-year-old could only achieve with the training most pure-bloods received, she said, “Nice to meet you, sir. My name is Selena Anarya Snape.”

Silence reigned.




AN: I never entertained any ideas about Severus and Narcissa, but it seemed appropriate in this case.

Next chapters will take a bit longer, because they are still with my beta.

Thank you, Hells.
Meeting Another Snape by Miss
You know it, I don't own it.


Chapter 9: Meeting Another Snape.





As the silence in the Headmasters’ office slowly started to turn into questions, another silence started to settle down in the Dungeons. Severus Snape, Potions Master of Hogwarts, ex-Death Eater and spy, had had one of the strangest mornings he could ever remember. The Dark Lord had summoned all of his more important followers in the early hours of the morning, and now that he was back in his private chambers, Severus was contemplating everything he had heard. He knew he needed to speak with the Headmaster soon, but somehow he wanted some time alone first.

It was strange. The Dark Lord had never before summoned him this early in the morning. He was a dark creature. Most dark creatures loved the dark of night; the Dark Lord was no exception. But it was the second thing that was stranger. When he had arrived, the Dark Lord had been happy, Severus was sure that if the former Tom Riddle could have smiled, he would have. It still made Severus uneasy and tense when he thought back on it.




“Welcome, my Death Eaters.” That almost smiling look was on his face. “We have work to do, most noble work. We have a damsel in distress to rescue, a pureblood damsel, to be precise.”

Severus felt uneasy when he saw and heard this; he could even feel the uneasiness of his fellow Death Eaters around him. They had realised, just like he had, that this was nothing like how the Dark Lord normally spoke or acted. Something must be up, and he had better pay attention. “Information has reached me about a little pureblood girl. She is young, but extremely powerful already. She has the potential to become more powerful than any of you, and today we will be making her one of us. The child will be my own. Malfoy, Nott,” he motioned for his two followers to come forward.

Thinking that it might have been wiser that the Dark Lord hadn’t told them anything about the power of this child, Severus watched as the two men carefully walked up to the Dark Lord, keeping their heads down. Pretending not to be interested, he had to strain his ears to pick up the next few words that were said to his fellow Death Eaters. “Go now. You will find the girl in Paris…bring her here, there will be no one protecting her.”

Severus had not heard everything, but the mention of Paris made him feel uneasy. He desperately wished he had heard a more precise address, but before he had more time to think about it, Malfoy and Nott had left. Now the Dark Lord turned towards the rest of them. That almost happy look was back upon his face. After a few minutes had passed, he spoke again. “This girl is very special to me. Her powers are unusual and I have great plans for her, and I want her to meet my family, her new family.”

Before any more words were said, Malfoy and Nott Apparated back into their midst. Severus immediately noted that they did not have a little girl with them, and he knew his Master would not be pleased.

Indeed, he was beyond angry. “EXPLAIN!” he shrieked. Malfoy fell to his knees in front of the Dark Lord and started to explain. When he and Nott entered, somebody had been leaving with a portkey. They hadn’t been able see who it was or trace the trail of magic.




It took quite some time before the Dark Lord had stopped punishing them for their mistakes. Finally Severus had been able to go back to Hogwarts. Now, after he decided that it was just another meeting, even if it was a very strange one, he knew he needed to get to Dumbledore’s office and explain everything to the old wizard. A little pureblood girl, extremely powerful with hardly any protection, was in danger. ‘Not if I can help it!’




After what seemed ages of silence, the three adults in Dumbledore’s office finally seemed to come out of their stupors. “Sir?” It was Hermione who spoke first. “What are we going to do, sir? It isn’t safe for her to leave the castle anymore, is it, sir? And what about Professor Snape, what do we tell him?”

Draco turned to her with an angry look, which could have rivalled his godfathers’. “What do you mean, what do we tell him. We’re not telling him anything! Didn’t you see those two back in Paris? They were Death Eaters, Hermione, and Severus Snape is one of them! What do you think he would do to her, even if she is his own daughter? Hell, even I’m supposed to become one of them in two weeks!”

“You know my daddy?” The question was very quiet, and somehow full of hope, and everyone heard her. Even Draco went quiet and closed his eyes as if the hopeful question caused him great pain, but it was Albus who answered her.

“Yes, Selena, we all know your father. You will meet him soon if you would like.” He gave Draco a look that told him not to interrupt and continued. “First, however, I would like to talk to your brother alone. Do you think you could go with Hermione into another room, to drink some tea, and maybe have a biscuit?”

Hermione gave a quick nod to Draco and Albus to indicate she would take care of Selena. She had a feeling what the discussion would be about, and it was not something a three year old should hear. She knelt next to Selena and took the little girl’s hand in her own. “Would you like some tea, Selena?”

The little girl nodded and walked with Hermione into the room next to Dumbledore’s office. As the door closed behind them, Draco and Albus could hear her last question floating back to them. “Am I going to meet my daddy?”

“Please sit down, Mr. Malfoy. We are going to have another long conversation, but this is one that will require the presence of your Godfather.” As Draco sat down, Albus walked over to the fireplace and called, “Severus, could you come up to my office, please?”

Moments later, Severus came through the floo. “Headmaster, I need to speak with you, I was summoned….” Here he spotted Draco looking highly uncomfortable and remembered the funeral the day before. “Albus, Draco, is everything alright?”

Draco gave him a cold look, but before he could say anything, Albus started talking again. “Please, Severus, sit down.” As he spoke another tea service appeared. “I know that the two of you have known each other for a long time, and you think that you know each other well. However…” He gave both wizards another look and held up his hand to make sure he could continue. “However, you both have kept secrets from one another. Severus’ secret is as old as Mr. Malfoy’s is new, but it has brought you here together in my office…”




“You’re a…a spy?” Draco was shocked to the core, and instantly the old emotions flared to life. “You betrayed me, my father, our Lord?” He was almost yelling the last word, before realising what he was saying and the situation he was in.

When he glanced from his Godfather to the Headmaster, all sorts of questions started to rise up from within. ‘Yes, he betrayed them, but me? Does this mean I can trust him? Will he take in Selena, will he love her? What about me? Did he pretend all this time to love me? Did he even like me?’ Knowing the questions were not about things he had ever concerned himself with before, he none the less decided to voice some of these thoughts. He looked Severus straight in the eye, wanting to know the truth. “What about me, did you pretend to be someone else with me as well?”

The question came as no surprise to either Severus or Albus, and the latter encouraged the other to give another answer in this conversation entirely made of confessions.

Taking a deep sigh and gathering his thoughts he looked at the only child, no man, that he had ever cared about. ‘He looks so much like his father, but I can still see Narcissa in him.’ Aloud, he said, “There are few people I really care about, there are even fewer that I would consider friends or family. To be honest, the only two people alive that I care about are sitting in this office. You must believe me, Draco, that I have always cared for you. I promised your mother I would take care of you and I intend to keep that promise.” Here he stopped talking because at the mention of his mother Draco had become wide eyed and obviously sad. “I’m sorry, Draco. I miss her as well.”

“Maybe it is time for young Mr. Malfoy here to tell us a bit of his secret.” Albus carefully settled his gaze on the student before him, hoping that the man he considered a son would take the news as calmly as Draco had. “Mr. Malfoy?”

“I don’t know what to tell, sir. Can’t I just show him the letter, sir?” Draco was pleading now, something a Malfoy would normally never do, but he felt incredibly lost, even more so when he saw Severus raise his brows in surprise at this non-Malfoy attitude.

“In a moment, Mr. Malfoy. But why don’t you tell the professor here how you came by that letter in the first place.”




“Can I read it?” If a simple letter could turn Draco Malfoy’s world upside down, he was very curious to see this letter. Very curious indeed. The fact that the writer was Narcissa Malfoy, a woman he had loved and already missed very much, made him only more interested. Severus gratefully accepted the letter Draco now held out to him. He was about to read its contents when he abruptly felt Albus’ hand on his arm.

“Severus, be careful, please.” The older wizard looked at him with a piercing blue gaze. “The contents of that letter may be shocking, to put it mildly. Please, Severus.”

Looking at the parchment he instantly recognized the Black crest and the handwriting. Soon he was absorbed in the letter and like every one before him, he had to read it several times to let the words sink in. Finally, he looked up and it was his own blurred vision that made him realise he was crying. His words came tumbling out. “You found her this morning, didn’t you? You picked her up in Paris and travelled back here with a Portkey. Lucius and Nott were supposed to pick her up, but they came back without her. The Dark Lord wanted her and punished them severely for failing him. He wants her, he wants my daughter. Oh my God, she…she’s my…he wants my daughter!”

Draco had never seen his Godfather this emotional; Severus had always been the image of self control and now he was losing it. Draco wanted to comfort him, tell him that Selena was safe in the castle, but Severus kept on talking.

“She was all beaten up. Lucius had attacked her and she didn’t want to go back. She was scared for her life and that of Draco. She called on me to help her; it was as if she had always known that I was no longer on the Dark Side. I helped her recover; brewed the potions she needed, held her when she cried. They were the three most beautiful weeks of my life. I had always admired her, had fallen in love with her long before, but it was the first time I felt as if someone I loved, loved me in return.” The last bit was said so softly that both Draco and Albus had to strain themselves to hear it.

Finally, Draco could not keep himself quiet any longer. “We picked her up this morning. We were supposed to go back to my apartment, but Hermione noticed that something was wrong and then the House elf started screaming, so we came back here instead.”

At the name of Hermione, Severus' head had snapped up and he looked at the older wizard. “What does Miss Granger have to do with all this?” There was iciness to his voice, but Albus soothed his nerves.

“Miss Granger found the letter yesterday by accident and brought Mr. Malfoy to my office. She is the only other person who knows about all this and she will keep this secret. Mr. Malfoy, why don’t you ask Miss Granger and Selena to come back here?”

Draco slowly stood up from the chair he had been sitting in for a few hours now and carefully walked over to the side door. Opening the door, he saw Hermione talking and laughing with his sister. With a sudden smile on his face, he caught their attention. Once again he felt thankful that these two girls were here with him. He motioned for both of them to come back into the office.

Lifting the girl up in her arms, Hermione silently walked through the door and looked at her Potions Professor. It was obvious to her he was very emotional. Even without the red eyes she would have noticed the lack of the normal cold mask. ‘Well no one can blame him for being emotional, really,’ she thought.

Slowly she walked over to where he was sitting. Never breaking eye contact with him, she finally stood before him and said, “Professor Snape, I would like you to meet Selena Anarya Snape.” Then turning to the girl in her arms, she continued, “Selena, this is Severus Snape, your father.” Quietly placing the girl with her father, Albus and Hermione left the room together.




AN: I am very sorry it took so very long. My beautiful beta Hells has gone missing and I miss her very much. It took me a while to find someone to replace her, but Broken Dreams has stepped in. Thank you for finding all my mistakes.
Reflections by Miss
You know it, I don't own it.


Chapter 10: Reflections.





Draco

That day that Selena arrived was utter chaos. I’m still not sure how I managed, but I got through the day. In the end, we all did. While we talked and got to know each other a bit, emotions ran high, secrets were revealed and new relationships were formed.

At first it was just the three of us, a new family talking together and getting to know each other. It had only been a little over a day ago when I had felt such pride in seeing my father standing on the bottom of the stairs at Malfoy Manor, being the aristocrat and Slytherin that he is, but now my heart felt like overflowing. I had a new family, of sorts. A family that seemed to be worth loving, a family I could learn to love like I had never loved Narcissa and Lucius, like I had never wanted to love before. Lucius had considered it a weakness.

It was fun to notice that Selena was a smart little girl, who brought a rare and proud smile to my Godfather's face. It was good to see them together, see them happy. Hermione called them two dark angels at one point, maybe not the right words for someone like Severus, but Selena, she really was our angel.

It was strange as well because I had never seen him as a man that would be good with children. Nonetheless, it felt like we had known each other all along. And that being together like this, like a family, was simply the natural thing to do. We felt like spending all our time together, pretending that nothing ever had to change, but we knew that it couldn’t stay that way, not as long as the threat of war was still there, looming off in the distance.

After a while, the Headmaster came back into the office. It seemed he had noticed that we were all finally calm enough to speak again. We settled back into our chairs and Selena sat in her fathers’ lap. She played with his long black hair, comparing it to her own locks; just being an innocent little girl, like she was supposed to be.

Before we could pick up our conversation and decide on what we should do, for there was not only the hiding of Selena to consider, but eventually my own as well, since I refused to take the Dark Mark. Now that I had made my promise and had knowledge of this new life, no matter how little I had seen of it, I wanted to stick to that promise. Then Selena suddenly spoke up. She simply asked where Hermione was, and if she wasn’t coming back into the room. It was this remark that changed quite a few things in the coming week.

At first we were stunned by her speaking up, though I must say the Headmaster looked pleased by her question, and I know deep down I was as well. Uncle Severus, on the other hand, obviously had his doubts whether it would be a good idea to let the Gryffindor, and friend of Harry Potter, in on all this. She had, however, helped us a great deal, and in the end even Severus could see the benefit of having a woman Selena liked close by, just in case there was ever need of one. It was actually quite funny to see Severus Snape cringe at the prospect of his little daughter coming to him with womanly things, even if the worst of that wasn’t going to happen in another ten years.

After some thinking, he gave in. From that moment on, Hermione, again, became part of the group protecting Selena.

By the time Selena was settled in her new room in the dungeons, compliments of the Headmaster and Professor McGonagall, I was exhausted beyond belief. Selena was finally safe and until the day I would refuse the Dark Mark, I would be as well.

At the end of the day, I didn’t even remember to be nasty to Hermione’s friends when they came walking up to us, just when I was saying goodbye to her. I only noticed something different when I saw Weasley looking stunned at me being nice to their friend, and Potter appreciative, though I still do not know where that last bit came from.

The next few days were as calm as could be expected, or at least hoped for. Selena, Uncle Severus, and I spend as much time together as we could. It seemed hardly anybody noticed I was absent from the parties all the seventh year students were enjoying, but there were some who noticed when Hermione wasn’t there. She tried to get away from the parties as often as she could, often pretending to want to spend some quiet time alone, but usually spending it in the dungeons with us.

Uncle Severus wasn’t too pleased the first time she came down to his private chambers, but after that first evening we spend together, he came to appreciate her. He found, just like I did, that she was an intelligent woman, and she came with a darker sense of humour than either of us had ever suspected. She was also a good friend to Selena and would often play with her or quietly talk with her when Selena missed her Mother. But most of all we found that she couldn’t care less whether we were Slytherins or Gryffindors; she cared more for the person underneath and seemed to understand our difficult positions better than we could have hoped for. I know that ever since the first time she came to the dungeons, I considered her a friend, and maybe it took a bit longer, but I know Uncle Severus finally did as well. Their frequent Potions discussions must have helped there as well.

I don’t know whether my Uncle noticed that my appreciation for Hermione eventually went a bit further than just friendship. Selena, however, did notice and she asked me whether Hermione was my girlfriend. I don’t even know how a three year old girl knows about boyfriends and girlfriends, no matter how smart she is, but I guess her new ‘Uncle’ Albus had something to do with it. I didn’t really answer her; I guess the slight flush I felt in my cheeks was enough of an answer for the adults in the room. Thankfully, Hermione wasn’t there.

Unfortunately, the good didn’t last. On Tuesday, Uncle Severus was summoned. He wasn’t back until Wednesday morning, slightly the worse for wear. The night had been hard, but he had been able to hide Selena and me from the Dark Lord. He had also learned that the Dark Lord was planning to attack Potter again, sometime soon. And this time, with intention to end the ongoing battle once and for all.

It was the first time ever that I was hoping that Potter would kill the man, if you could still call him that. Sooner, rather than later, because it would mean freedom for more than just me. I realised then, for the first time ever, that I cared more for others than just myself.

That was, however, not the only thing to happen that week. Just like I knew they would, Weasley and Potter had to find out, and almost ruin everything. It was by then exactly one week since we had gone to rescue Selena.




Harry

I always trusted my friends. I might not always believe what they tell me, but I trust them enough to tell me what I need to know, when they are ready. I wasn’t always patient enough for their liking, but I had learned I could wait, if I had to. This time it was different though. This time it was Hermione, doing something that lit up her eyes with a twinkle, even when she was obviously not really happy about it.

It had been a week since the end of our NEWT exams, a week since I had seen her walking and talking all friendly like with Draco Malfoy. I hated the ferret, but like I said, I trusted Hermione. I kept my thoughts to myself and didn’t let Ron or Ginny know what I had seen. Although, I was sorely tempted to tell them all after I had spoken to Hermione the morning after. Her words and note left me with a more uncomfortable feeling than I had ever felt before. Malfoy was my enemy and he was doing something to Hermione. She told me to trust her, and I did; I just didn’t trust him.

Seeing her saying goodbye to him in a friendly fashion, the same day she had given me her note, was something strange as well. Ron couldn’t believe what he was seeing, but thinking more about all the parties he wanted to attend before graduation day, made him forget rather quickly. I send Malfoy a look of appreciation, I’m not sure why, but I knew he hadn’t been horrible to her, and that Hermione would thank me for making an effort.

I still didn’t trust him, though.

After seeing very little of her during the week full of parties that followed after NEWTs, even Ron and Ginny started to notice something and it must have been the look of anguish that showed on my face by now. By Friday, they both cornered me, almost keeping me at wand point to make me tell. I know, I know, never anger a Weasley woman. Believe me, I won’t ever forget.

After relenting to them and ushering them upstairs into the boys’ dormitory, we finally talked.

“Remember last week, when she said she had been in Dumbledore’s office?” At the nods of the two before me, I continued. “She told me she had been talking with the Headmaster and Malfoy.” Mouths dropped open at this point, but before they could speak, I did once more. “I spoke with her the next morning; she told me she was going out with Malfoy, doing something for the Headmaster. She told me not to worry, everything was okay. I trusted her, and we did see her later that afternoon.”

The room was quiet after that. The war had made us all grow up and we didn’t rush things anymore, not as much as we used to, anyway. We were thinking about what Hermione could be doing, what Malfoy had to do with all of this.

“He does have something to do with all this; he hasn’t been to any of the parties, even the ones where Hermione was present. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen him since last Friday, except for breakfast and lunch.” Ginny looked at the both of us, Ron had his mouth hanging wide open. “Well, he is hard to miss,” she said by way of explanation.

Ron took the explanation and was thoughtful for a moment longer. “We can always check, I mean they both weren’t present at dinner tonight. We could look at the Map.”

I could have hit myself in the head at that moment, for not thinking to fetch the Map before, but instead reached into my trunk and fished it out. It didn’t take us long to find her. There she was, in a part of the dungeons I didn’t know, with Malfoy, Snape and a name that was all fuzzy, making it unable to read. I guess it was too much, I knew then we had to find the truth. But the map made it obvious we wouldn’t reach the place she was in; it was all deep within Slytherin territory.

I wished it would have gone differently, but the next morning in the Great Hall the confrontation was inevitable. A short hour later everything, and I do mean everything, was clear. Even if Ron still doesn’t know how to accept it.




AN: I think I'm halfway through my story now, or maybe three quarters. Funny, originally I planned on only 12 to 13 chapters.

Thanks to Broken Dreams, who finds my mistakes for me. And also to everybody who stuck around, waiting for me to update.
Finding Out by Miss
You know it, I don't own it.


Chapter 11: Finding Out.





Waking up slowly, Draco looked around, feeling like it would be better to stay in his bed rather than going down to breakfast, before visiting his Godfather’s private chambers. He wanted to skip breakfast desperately but it had been decided that he would keep up appearances at least at breakfast and lunch. He hated it though; hated listening to his fellow Slytherins who were still planning on taking the Dark Mark, hearing them plotting against the Muggle-borns and Hermione in particular, seeing their looks of glee at the battle that was coming.

He never thought it would come to this, that he would turn away from everything his Father had taught him, and work with the Headmaster, his Godfather and a Gryffindor to bring down the Dark Lord. He had never thought that he would feel like sitting down at the Ravenclaw table, just to get away from the Slytherins. Hell, he would even sit at the Gryffindor table if only more people there could stand the sight of him. But he couldn’t and wouldn’t, he would have to be a good little Slytherin, keeping up appearances, a little longer.

Finally getting up - he was already annoyed with Crabbe and Goyle, which was nothing unusual - he quickly took a shower, got dressed and went up the stairs to the Great Hall. With a bit of luck, Hermione would already be there, smile in place, whishing him good morning with the smallest of waves. Hearing Pansy come up after him, he sped up and sat down at the Slytherin table.

Hermione was indeed already in the Great Hall, but she wasn’t smiling and certainly not waving at him. She seemed to be in a heated discussion with her friends, not looking pleased at all. He wondered what was going on and slowly walked over, pretending to be on his way to pick on Potter and Weasley. Nothing unusual over here, just walking, don’t notice me. He should have known it would attract the notice of everybody involved. Finally, he was close enough to hear.

“Hermione, why won’t you tell us what is going on?”

“Because, Harry, I asked you to trust me. I asked you because I can’t tell you. Now please, leave me alone!” Hermione didn’t know why all of a sudden her friends were all over her, but she couldn’t tell them; she had to keep the secret. She had to keep Selena and Draco safe. And her friends were quickly pushing her to her limit.

“‘Mione?” This time it was Ginny.

“What, Ginny?” By now she was barely keeping calm.

“Don’t be mad, but we already know where you go all the time; we just want to know why. We don’t trust the ferret.”

“Maybe you don’t, but can’t you keep quiet about it? Don’t you see? Even if I wanted to, I couldn’t talk about it! Do you have any idea the danger you’re putting people in? No! You don’t! So stop talking about Draco where people can hear.” She was raising her voice by the end of that little speech. She was beyond angry now; she just wanted to leave, before something stupid happened. She didn’t notice that the few people who were in the Great Hall on that Saturday morning were already listening, that Draco was standing behind her.

“So its Draco now, is it?” Ron growled.

“Listen to her, Weasley,” Draco drawled, reminding himself forcefully of his father once again.

“What did you do to her, Malfoy?” Harry was gritting his teeth, wanting to do something, but neither Draco, nor any of the others got any chance to reply. It was the Headmaster who spoke up next.

Severus had seen Hermione get more agitated, had seen Draco walk over, and after only a quick nod to the Headmaster, did they both intervene. He didn’t know what the Headmaster planned on doing, but he knew he was involved in this and wanted to keep informed of everything that was going on. That his own daughter or godson might get caught up in this, even more then they already were, was all the reason he needed to protect them.

“Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley, you will keep quiet in the Great Hall, please.” Albus was calmly looking at the students involved in this, and inwardly sighed that this whole war seemed to revolve around children.

Harry and Ginny saw the look on the Headmaster’s face and indeed kept quiet. Even Hermione and Draco didn’t need any extra encouragement, though the look on Professor Snape’s face was an extra reason to keep still.

But just as Harry was about to mutter a quiet, “Yes, sir,” Ron spoke up. “But, sir, Malfoy did something to Hermione.”

That one sentence was enough to get Harry and Ginny cringe and Hermione all riled up again. It seemed as if a small explosion had occurred, then and there at the Gryffindor table. Everybody seemed to have something to say.

Another nod between the Headmaster and Professor Snape was, again, enough. A few Silencing Charms were used and the five students involved were ushered down the stairs into the dungeons and Professor Snape’s office, leaving behind a Great Hall full of curious students and professors alike. Besides the time when Draco had been turned into a ferret, nobody had ever seen any charms used on any of the students. It must have been serious indeed.

When they had all settled in Professor Snape’s office, the Headmaster looked around at the students, then at his Potions Master and finally spoke again. “Now, if you promise to keep quiet, I will take off the Silencing Charms. Only one word,” the Headmaster added, looking at Ron in particular, “Only one word and you will be serving detention with Professor Snape. Is that understood?” Albus looked around the group and received their nods of agreement. Removing the charms he turned to Hermione. “Now, Miss Granger, why don’t you tell me what is going on here.”

Having found a place for herself in between the Professor’s desk and Draco’s seat, she looked between all those involved in helping Selena. Promising, with a look in her eyes to Professor Snape and Draco, that she would still keep her secret, she accepted their nods as understanding. She started to talk.

“It seems, sir, that Harry, Ron and Ginny found out where I’ve spent some of my time this past week.” As she looked at her three friends, she begged them to keep quiet with the look on her face, but it seemed that the threat of detention was enough, for now. Ron was fidgeting but even he kept quiet, though he wasn’t looking at her either. Not letting herself think on this, she continued. “You might remember, sir, that I ran into Harry last week, just before Draco and I had to come to your office. I told him then that I could not tell them what was happening. I guess knowing where I spend my time was too much for him.”

She didn’t want to add the words to keep his promise, but that was what it had been. She had told him she would tell him when she could, even though that may take some time, and she had kept her promise; he hadn’t.

Feeling how troubled Hermione was by all this, Draco tried to secretly take hold of her hand and squeeze it lightly in comfort, but it was noted by all except Ron, who still didn’t want to look at Hermione. Ginny and Harry were just surprised and it showed in their expressions.

“I understand, Miss Granger. Now, Mr. Potter, could you tell us what you know?” The question was friendly enough, but everyone around could hear the seriousness in Dumbledore’s voice. It was this very seriousness that made Harry speak the whole truth.

“Well, sir, what Hermione told you was true. I knew she and Malfoy had been talking to you on the first day after our NEWT’s. I also ran into her the morning she just told us about. She asked me to please trust her and to keep quiet about it, but I also told her then, I don’t trust Malfoy.”

At this Ron gave Draco a triumphant look, but this only allowed him to notice that he was holding Hermione’s hand.

“When, last night, we were talking about how we had missed Hermione this week, I told the others about my worries about her. It was Ginny who figured out that Malfoy was always absent at the same time, but it was Ron who figured we could use the map to find out where she was.”

“I should have known.” Severus had been listening to the things that were said, and looking around for clues to whatever hadn’t. He saw, with a feeling of pride, that Draco took hold of Hermione’s hand, and was holding in his smirk when Ron saw this as well. The angry flush in his face almost made him miss the last few words Harry uttered. “You still have that blasted map. Well, Potter, what exactly did you see?” He said it with bitter malice, but he had to know. The less people who knew about Selena, the better it was for her safety.

Harry couldn’t help but pick up on Snape’s malice, but he figured that since he had seen Snape close by, as well as Malfoy and that mysterious clouded name, that this was exactly what the secret was about. It was the first time he wondered what exactly they were asking of Hermione, when they demanded the truth.

“Well, sir, we saw Hermione down here in the dungeons. She was here together with Malfoy, you and someone whose name we couldn’t see.”

The sighs of relief from both Draco and Professor Snape were so obvious, that everybody turned to them. It was now not only clear to Harry, but to Ron and Ginny as well, that this secret person was the crux of everything.

Not liking the whole situation one bit and wanting some answers, Ron decided to risk his detention with Snape. “Sir?” He looked at the Headmaster with a question reflecting in his eyes.

“No, Mr. Weasley, I cannot tell you everything. But yes, it does have something to do with the person you saw on the map. The reason we cannot tell you about that…” Here the Headmaster broke off and turned to the door to Snape’s quarters. It seemed that it was no longer important to keep Selena a secret from them, for she had just walked into the room.

Quietly she walked up to Severus, who, after a look at the Headmaster, picked her up and placed her in his lap. She noticed something was going on; for one, there were some people in the room she didn’t know and her Uncle Albus was looking very serious. Maybe that was why the door to her Daddy’s office had stopped her with magic at first, but then the doors always opened when you asked them nicely, even if they had been locked with magic. Besides the door opening for her, the only thing that was good was that Draco was holding Hermione’s hand. So quietly she asked, “Daddy?”

How to explain all this? Especially when Selena turned around to look at Draco and Hermione, and said their names? Draco knew it would have been better to simply skip breakfast that morning. Now all the Gryffindor friends knew, and he was sure that within a few moments his Godfather and the Headmaster would tell them all that they needed to know. He could do nothing, but hope that they kept quiet.

It was now Hermione who held his hand and gave him a little squeeze of reassurance.




AN: So far, this has been the most difficult chapter yet. But Harry, Ron and Ginny are now in the story and a bit about Selena's 'specialness' is revealed.
Another Question by Miss
You know it, I don't own it.


Chapter 12: Another Question.





"Selena, how did you get through that door?” Severus looked at his little girl and wondered once more why exactly the Dark Lord wanted her, wanted his daughter. It was becoming more and more obvious to him that she had some sort of magical powers, and they weren’t uncontrollable bursts like most children her age had, either. The door she had just come through had been warded, and heavily at that.

“The door didn’t want to open, Daddy.” She looked at him as if it should have been obvious. “You used magic to close it.” Selena was looking at him with innocent black eyes.

“I know I used magic to close it, but you opened it without magic, did you not?” It was strange to lose yourself in eyes you had seen in the mirror, every day of your life. He had always found those eyes staring back at him strange instead of beautiful, but they looked beautiful in the face of his daughter.

“I don’t know, Daddy. The door was closed, so I asked it to open. It did.” It was as simple as that, to Selena. Though she noticed that everybody was now looking at her strangely again.

“Ah well, perhaps it would be best if we explained a little, and leave the door for later? Miss Granger, Mr. Malfoy do you wish to stay? Or could you perhaps take Selena back to her rooms?” This came from the Headmaster, and it was obvious he wanted to discuss this “asking the doors” business privately, later.

Hermione looked at Draco. It seemed fairly obvious that Draco wanted to stay, but Hermione knew that it would only distract her friends from what was being said. Besides, she didn’t want to think of Selena hearing everything that might be said between them. Giving Draco another squeeze, she asked him quietly if he would go with her and Selena; they could hear what had been said later.

Draco wanted to say no, he wanted to stay and make sure her friends didn’t do anything to make the situation any worse. He was a Slytherin and wanted to protect himself, though he realised he wanted to protect his sister as well. Maybe it would be better to go with them. It would give him the opportunity to spent time with Hermione alone. Taking one more look at the others, he held out his arms to Selena. “Do you want to come with Hermione and me, Selena? We can have some breakfast together.”

Sliding out of her daddy’s lap, she walked over to her brother and let herself be picked up. “Can I play with you and Hermione?”

“Yes, you can.” This was Hermione. “Say bye to your daddy and Uncle Albus, now.”

“Bye daddy! Bye Uncle Albus!” She waved her little hand before the three of them walked through the door, towards Severus’ private rooms. They walked into the sitting room, and remained quiet for a while, just looking at each other. Even Selena seemed to realise that something serious was going on. The last week had been filled with many of these silences. Draco knew it made her miss her Mother and Lydia, even though the House elf came to bring her food every day. Feeling her holding on to him a bit tighter, he almost expected her question of what was going on, to come.

Draco looked at Hermione and didn’t know what to say. Setting Selena on the couch he walked away from both girls and turned himself to the fireplace. “I don’t know. What did just happen, Hermione? Why are your friends all over us all of a sudden?” He wasn’t really angry at Hermione, and though the questions came out with a bit of malice, it was obvious that he was more frustrated than angry.

“I don’t know, Draco. Look, why don’t we just sit down and finish our breakfast? I know I hardly had anything to eat and there isn’t much we can do till your godfather gets back and tells us what happened.” Calling for Nalya, Hermione asked for a bit of breakfast for all of them.

While they waited for the food to arrive, Selena spoke up again. “Hermione, who was that?”

“The people in the other room who were talking with Daddy?” Answering with a silent nod, Selena asked Hermione to continue. “They are friends of mine. They wanted to know why I spent so much time with you, Draco and your daddy.”

“Are they friends like you and Draco?” The question was all innocence, and it confirmed to Draco that she indeed did not know about boyfriends and girlfriends.

Hermione chanced a look at Draco, who was still quietly standing by the fireplace. Was Draco a friend like she was friends with Harry, Ron and Ginny? If she were honest with herself, then the answer had to be no. Draco was a very different kind of friend, the kind of friend you didn’t just have fun with, but one you shared everything with.

She shared almost everything with her friends, but with Draco she was willing to share even more. The question was if she could tell Selena this with Draco so obvious listening for her answer. Taking a chance, she used her Gryffindor courage and answered truthfully. “No, Draco is a different kind of friend.” Now all she could hope was that Draco would understand.

They had had a few awkward silences ever since this whole episode began, but this was the worst yet. It seemed that Draco understood exactly what kind of friend Hermione meant, and even though he had thought about the same thing, thought he wanted it, he didn’t know what to do. There was such a history between them, so many bad memories they both needed to forgive and forget, but mostly it brought back to both of them that he was supposed to hate her, according to the Dark Lord.

“Hermione, I… that is we… oh, Merlin.” Sweeping a hand through his hair, Draco almost growled in frustration. But Hermione had picked up on the signs and knew he wasn’t rejecting her.

“It’s okay, Draco. Maybe… maybe we should wait a bit. See how this all works out.” Yes, they should be concentrating on the war, but it didn’t make putting their feelings on hold any easier. Looking at each other, they silently came to the same conclusion. If they got through this war alive, there would be nothing stopping them from being together.

Sitting back down, one on either side of Selena, they turned towards the food in front of them. Hermione started to get a plate of food together, looking at it with a slight smile on her face. Selena, too young to fully understand what was happening, looked between her brother and friend. Draco, for once, had hope in his heart that maybe, just maybe, his change of fortune was the best thing for him.

Just when they were about to finish their breakfast, the door to the living room opened again, and Severus and the Headmaster walked in. With one look at their faces, Hermione quickly conjured up two more cups and poured tea for them. She knew that Draco was just as anxious as she to hear what had happened, but she let the two men be until they were ready, keeping her questions to herself.

It was the Headmaster who spoke first. “Your friends have returned to their common room, Miss Granger. They have promised their silence on everything concerned and will not badger you into talking about it.”

“Have you told Harry about the attack, sir?”

“Yes, I have, Miss Granger. I also told them that Mr. Malfoy will be refusing the Mark when Voldemort calls on him.”

“So they know everything.” Draco’s voice sounded almost desolate. “They know about Selena, they know about me, they know about the attack. I might as well stop coming down for breakfast or stop sleeping in my dorm - at least then the other Slytherins won’t know where to find me.”

It was his godfather who responded. “Draco, believe me when I say that you need all the friends you can get in this. And however much it pains me to say this, when Potter promises not to tell, he really doesn’t tell. We should be more concerned about Selena at the moment.”

The room went completely silent, and the shock that had come with Severus’ proclamation that Harry Potter could be trusted changed and attention shifted to the little girl in their midst once more.




AN: I'm so sorry this took so long. Real life took a big swing at me and struck home. Now, finally, I have a new beta, Tempest of Dreams, and she did a wonderful job on this chapter. I haven't written much more, but at least two more chapters are done. When I'm back from holidays, I'll get them online.

Thank you to everyone who had the patience to wait for this, and also to everyone who kicked me to get me going again.
Beginning To Understand by Miss
You know it, I don't own it.

Beginning To Understand.





She had straight black hair, black eyes and pale skin, but that was where the similarities with her father ended. Other than her colouring, Selena was the spitting image of her mother and when you recognized these features you would know this little girl was something special. Narcissa Malfoy nee Black may have mostly been mostly known as the wife of Lucius Malfoy, but that was not all there was to her. Yes, she was his wife, but had she been a weak woman, Claudius Malfoy would never have chosen her for his son. She was a Black, and the Blacks are a very old and powerful Pureblood family in their own right.

The Snapes were of similar ancestry, even if their bloodlines had always been a bit more obscure than both the Malfoys and the Blacks. Though nobody could deny their power and talent in often unusual or unique abilities. It seemed that Selena had gotten the best of both her parents and that was something the Dark Lord wanted.

The fact that she had been able to open a heavily warded door by just asking was troubling to say the least. Add to that the simple fact that the Dark Lord wanted her at all - he would indeed place her above all others - and her father knew he needed to find out all he could.

Severus had been summoned again the night before, not long after Draco and Hermione had gone back to their respective dormitories. The Dark Lord had spoken, again, of his plans to strike against Harry Potter. This time, however, he was more specific, outlining which tactics he wanted to use and where. The attack would be during the seventh year graduation ceremony, which was scheduled for the following Thursday. It seemed that the Dark Lord himself would not appear until the end of the battle, letting Harry wear himself out fighting and protecting others. In this way Harry would offer as little resistance as possible when the Dark Lord was ready to finish him.

It seemed that in his arrogance the Dark Lord had also become confident that no one could betray him and was even planning beyond the battle that would take place on Thursday. Severus kept his ears and eyes open and was ‘delighted’ when offered the chance to stay and discuss certain subjects with his master more personally. Though, for a moment, his breath left him when the subject turned out to be his Selena.




“Severus.”

“Yes, my Lord.” His reply was swift and with just the right amount of arrogance. He might be a servant to his Lord, but his Lord expected his servants to be proud of their position, even more so when so few of them were around. Right now it was just Lucius and himself with the Dark Lord.

“Tell me, Severus, what does Dumbledore know about the girl?”

“My Lord, it seems that Order members found her in Paris and took her to Hogwarts. Dumbledore knows where she is, though she no longer resides with him, or in the Order Headquarters. No one has seen the girl, nor will he tell anyone about her, but I know he believes her special in some way, though I do not know why. What I have heard is that she seems to be powerful for her age, and has a level of control over her magic that I have never heard of before in a child.” Severus had to take a moment to recompose himself, knowing what he had to disclose next scared him; the anger of Lucius Malfoy was not something you could take lightly.

“I did find some of her background, my Lord. Her father is a wizard unknown but it seems that her mother…” He couldn’t say it, though he knew that hesitation was punishable. He waged an internal battle, for he did not want the anger of Lucius or the Dark Lord coming down on him, nor did he want to diminish the memory of Narcissa. “Her mother…” he repeated, trailing off again.

“Was the late Narcissa Malfoy, I know.” The smile was just as sinister as it had been when Severus first heard about his daughter a week ago. He ignored it. The angry gasp from Lucius took his attention away from his Lord in time to see the blond man struggling to keep his own composure.

“My lord, are you sure? My Narcissa, my WIFE, had a child with another MAN! Even if this were true… how… how could you want this child, a bastard, a…”

It was eerie to see how calm the Dark Lord stayed, though it was often more dangerous to see him calm than completely angry. When he was angry he was predictable, screaming and punishments for those around would ensue, but when he was calm, it was a deceptive calm.

“Did you not know, Lucius, that your wife kept her own place in Paris? Did you not know that she spend almost seven months there about four years ago, disobeying your orders while she did? Did you not realise why she became a Secret Keeper for that apartment? Did you not know everything your wife did? Do you… doubt my knowledge about this child and her usefulness to our cause, Lucius?”

The calm of that quiet voice send a chill down Severus’ spine and he could see that, though he was angry, Lucius tried to find the right way to answer his Lord’s questions. Strangely enough he did not even get a chance to answer.

“She is powerful, Lucius, and she is Pureblood. She will be mine and you will accept that. Be glad that she shares blood with your son, for that will allow Severus to find her.”




With that the Dark Lord had send him away, though Lucius had to remain behind. If what Potter had just told them when they had been in his office earlier this morning was true, he had been punished severely. Now he was sitting in his private chambers again with the Headmaster, his daughter, Draco and Hermione and he knew he would have to tell them all the information he had.

“I was summoned last night,” he said with a look at Dumbledore.

Hermione and Draco, who’s attention had been on Selena, now suddenly looked to Severus and the Headmaster. What was going on?

“Ah, yes, Severus, perhaps you are right to bring this up now.” The Headmaster knew, of course, what Severus was getting at. “There are certain things that were discussed last night that you two should be made aware of. Tom plans to attack Hogwarts in the chaos that always ensues right after the graduation ceremony. It is a moment when everybody tries to find their friends and family. They don’t tend to notice their surroundings. Tom knows this and wishes to take advantage of it.”

“What will we do?” Hermione asked. Though she had had many adventures, knowing about them before hand made Hermione nervous. Looking between everybody involved, she knew they were all tense, but resigned. “Does Harry know? What are the plans to keep the other students safe?” These were just a few of the questions that came to her mind, and when she felt Draco holding her hand for comfort again, another more important question came up.

“Sir, will he… that is, does he wish to… to mark his new…” She couldn’t say it and felt the tension in Draco when he too came to the same point.

Dumbledore was quick to answer them. “Yes, he does wish to mark his new recruits, but he is planning to do this on Wednesday evening, hoping we will not miss the students' absences. This means there will be very little time between Mr. Malfoy’s refusal and the attack, leaving hardly any chance for retaliation from others.”

Draco squeezed Hermione’s hand again. Looking at her worried face, he gave her a small smirk and reassured her. “I will be alright.” They were all very aware that they could only hope he would be.

“As for your other questions, Miss Granger...” This was Severus. “Yes, we have been planning for this eventuality for a long time, and your friend, Mr. Potter, has been forewarned. I, however, am more concerned about my daughter. The Dark Lord has requested I brew the Vinden Potion.”

It didn’t take long for the intellectual among them to speak up. “The locater Potion, leading the drinker to the precise position to close relatives of the donor. A not-quite-legal potion.” Hermione was thinking out loud before asking her question. “Sir, don’t you need the blood of a close relative for that potion to work? How do they expect you to brew that? How much does he know?” Hermione was very aware that two close relatives of Selena were at hand, but she was more worried about how much the Dark Lord knew about Selena. She and Draco might have decided not to become involved just yet, but the two siblings were both very dear to her already. If she was forced to admit it, the father was becoming more important to her as well.

Severus gave a grim little smile in return. “You are right, of course. It seems that the Dark Lord is very much aware of who her mother, and therefore her brother, is.” Changing his focus towards his Godson, he continued, “He also made Lucius aware of this fact, though he forbade him to harm my daughter when she is ‘found’.”

“Which brings us back to why he wants Selena in the first place. Does he know who her father is, Uncle?” Draco couldn’t help his growing Gryffindor tendencies; he was worried and wanted to protect his little sister more than anything else.

“No, Mr. Malfoy, Tom doesn’t know who her father is. We suspect that at one point he used Leglimency on your mother and found her thoughts and worries about your sister. He didn’t find anything else because soon afterwards she used the Fidelius Charm to protect Selena. He is, however, aware that she has an unusual power.”

Albus looked at the girl who was now silently lying in her father’s lap, playing with her father’s and her own hair. Maybe it was time for them to find out about this unusual ability, to unravel the mystery of the opening door.




AN: The Snape bloodline being obscure is my only concession to HBP, though I’m keeping the whole vampire and Roman decent ideas in mind as well. Furthermore, Tom called Selena a Pureblood in chapter 9, and to me she is.

The Vinden Potion is my own creation. Vinden is Dutch for ‘to find’, which is essentially what it is supposed to do. In my opinion it is an almost, but not quite, Dark Potion, since it will allow you to find others even when they don’t want to be found. Add to that the usage of a person’s blood…
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=40834