Impervious by nightfall00
Summary: Beginning at the end of HBP, we see how Ginny chooses to deal with Harry.
Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2095 Read: 1935 Published: 01/04/06 Updated: 01/04/06

1. Impervious by nightfall00

Impervious by nightfall00
Disclaimer: All characters and settings are the property of the illustrious J.K. Rowling. With a tip of the hat (and apologies) to Aaron Sorkin.

Receivership: a court action that places property under the control of a receiver so that it can be preserved for the benefit of all. (WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University)


Impervious


Harry, Ron, and Hermione finally left the shade of the beech tree near the lake and headed back inside the school. The somber air from Dumbledore’s funeral pervaded the castle. When they reached the common room, it was quiet. The few remaining occupants were speaking in hushed tones. The trio had taken seats near the window, not talking, just as Ginny came through the portrait hole. She walked over to them, looking at Harry with concern. Without a word, she leaned down and kissed him softly. She then perched herself on the arm of his chair, as she had done many times before, taking his hand in her own. Harry stared at her in utter surprise.

“Ginny, what are you doing?” Harry was shocked at her actions, especially after their recent discussion.

“What do you mean? I was kissing you.”

“Ginny,” Harry leaned in close to her. “I broke up with you. You know…before.”

“Okay,” Ginny replied calmly. She continued to sit next to him, holding his hand. Harry became lost for a moment in the feel of having her so close, then shook himself out of it and returned to the subject at hand.

“Ginny, we are broken up. Why are you sitting here as if nothing happened?”

“Oh that,” Ginny turned to look directly into his eyes. “I have decided that I am not going to acknowledge the break up.” Harry was speechless. He sat there with a shocked and confused look on his face, his mouth hanging open. What did she just say? She doesn’t acknowledge what? What does she mean? Harry tried to puzzle this out in his mind, but after a moment he knew he was going to have to ask her for clarification.

“Ginny, you don’t acknowledge what?

“The break up. I don’t acknowledge it. I do not recognize that you and I are broken up.”

“You can’t just refuse to recognize it,” replied Harry, becoming agitated. “That’s not how it works.”

“It’s working like that right now,” said Ginny resolutely. Harry could not believe how infuriating this discussion was becoming. He looked up at Ron and Hermione, to find that they were studiously avoiding his gaze.

“Would you like us to leave? So you two can...discuss this privately?” Ron asked, sharing a knowing look with Hermione.

What is going on here? Harry thought to himself. He looked back up at Ginny, and there was nothing but love and concern on her face.

“No, its okay,” Ginny responded to Ron. “Harry is trying to break up with me, but it won’t take.” This made Harry even more upset. He grabbed her hand, leading her to the portrait hole, out into the corridor, and into the nearest deserted room.

“I am not kidding!” Harry said his voice rising. “Ginny, you need to believe that I am completely serious about this.”

“I do believe that you’re serious. But, I am not going to let you break up with me.” She gave him a defiant look.

“Ginny, you don’t get to have a say in this!” Harry was in full rant mode now. “This is not a decision that needs a consensus. I don’t need your permission to make this valid. There’s no way…”

“Harry!” Ginny interrupted. “You can break up with me all you want if it makes you feel better, but I am not breaking up with you.” She leaned in and kissed him quickly on the cheek, then left the empty classroom and headed back through the corridor to the portrait hole. Harry followed, still hoping he could talk some sense into her and make his point. There were only a few people left in the common room: Ron, Hermione, and Neville sitting together, and a couple of first years sitting by the fireplace. As Harry entered, he saw Ginny heading towards the girl’s dormitory. He felt that there was no way he could leave the subject like this, so he decided to try a different strategy.

“I just wanted to let you all know,” he announced to Ron, Hermione and Neville, “that I have broken up with Ginny. For reasons that you can probably guess, I think it would be safer if…” Harry trailed off as he suddenly noticed that they were no longer looking at him. He followed their gazes which led directly to Ginny. She was standing at the bottom of the girl’s dormitory stairs, shaking her head emphatically. “It’s true!” said Harry, looking back at his friends.

“In his head,” replied Ginny, with that calm assurance that she had not let slip through this entire situation.

“We are broken up, and it’s for your safety,” he said looking back to her.

“That’s sweet, but no,” Ginny said as she turned and headed up to start packing for the trip home. Harry sat down in the chair next to Hermione with his head in his hands.

“What is happening here? Why doesn’t she understand?” came Harry’s voice from inside his hands.

“I think she understands more than you know.” Hermione gave Harry an affectionate pat on the shoulder, and she too headed up to the dormitory. Harry looked to Ron for support, even though deep down he suspected that he would not receive it.

“Look, I’m your best mate. Even when I think you’re wrong - like now - I’m not gonna give you grief about it. You’ve got enough of that, you don’t need it from me.”

“Thanks,” Harry said dully, still not sure how to handle this.


Up in the girl’s dormitories, Hermione found Ginny standing near her bed, packing her trunk.

“Ginny?”

“Yeah, what’s up?” Ginny replied, concentrating on her packing.

“Are you going to continue with this…?” Hermione asked.

“Yes,” came Ginny’s quick reply. She looked up to meet Hermione’s gaze.

“I just wanted you to know that for Harry’s sake, I think you are doing absolutely the right thing.”

“You mean refusing the break up?”

“Yes. He needs you so much. Now, more than ever.”

“I know,” Ginny continued emphatically, “and I am not going to let him do this.”


The Great Hall was crowded, yet not as noisy as it normally would have been. There was no official leaving feast this year and everyone ate their final dinner with no speeches, no House Cup and no cheering. For the second time in Harry’s experience at Hogwarts, there were black banners covering the walls.

After Harry and Ron had been sitting at the Gryffindor table for several minutes, Hermione and Ginny entered and walked over. Hermione took a seat next to Ron as Ginny sat down next to Harry. He looked at Ginny; she smiled lovingly and gave his hand a squeeze. Harry moved his hand and got up from the table. He didn’t make eye contact with anyone as he left. He had not wanted to start the argument again right there in front of all those people, but he wanted to make her understand. He needed her to understand.

He waited in an alcove near the Great Hall until he saw her coming out. He caught her eye and motioned her to him. Ginny walked over to Harry and before he knew it she embraced him. He wanted to stay there, surrounded by her scent. He wanted to take refuge in her and block out everything else, but he couldn’t, and she needed to realize that. He pushed away from her and held her at arms length, his hands on her shoulders.

“Ginny, we need to talk.”

“Sure.” Ginny looked up at him, completely unperturbed. Harry took a deep breath and steeled himself to say everything he needed to say.

“My parents are dead, Sirius is dead, and now Dumbledore is…” his voice trailed off and he looked down at the floor trying to regain his composure. Ginny touched his chin and lifted his face so that his eyes again met hers.

“I know,” she said softly. Harry looked deeply into her beautiful brown eyes and to his surprise found his own strength waiting for him there. He continued.

“Voldemort is very real, very alive, and wants to destroy the world as we know it.”

“I know that too,” she said still looking determinedly into his eyes.

“The only person who has any chance of stopping him is me. Because of that, he wants to kill me, and will most likely try to kill everyone I love.”

“I know all of this,” Ginny’s voice was strong, but still full of love. “I haven’t forgotten. It doesn’t change…”

“It changes everything!” Harry yelled. “Nothing is the same, and nothing will ever be normal again until Voldemort is dead!”

“Listen, Harry. I know what has happened in your life and I know what you face. I have not only been your girlfriend for the last couple of months, I have been your friend for longer than that, whether you’ve realized it or not. I know you better than you think I do, and I know that because of everything that is going on, you are feeling scared and overwhelmed. And I know this: Dumbledore told you that the one important thing you have that Voldemort doesn’t have and doesn’t understand is the ability to love. I trust Dumbledore, and I won’t let you push away love because of fear. Somehow I know that love - our love - can help you in this. So, since I believe that your decision-making skills aren’t the best right now, I am taking you into receivership. We are not broken up.” Ginny put her arms around him and pulled him close. He let himself put his arms around her and hold her tightly. He was hoping that he would never have to let her go, when all too soon she pulled away from him. Without a word, she kissed him and headed back to Gryffindor tower. Harry slid down the wall until he was sitting on the floor. He did not know how long he had stayed there. He was deeply lost in thought, contemplating everything that she had said.

By the time he arrived back at Gryffindor tower, everyone had gone to bed and the common room was empty. Harry sat down in an armchair by the window. He didn’t feel at all sleepy and as he sat there, he quickly became lost in his thoughts again. A quiet sound pulled him back to the present. He looked for the source and saw that someone was there. He hadn’t noticed before that sitting in a chair in a dark corner was Ginny, asleep. Harry smiled to himself as he walked toward her; she had tried to stay up and wait for him. He took a small blanket off the couch and placed it around her. As he did this, she stirred.

“Harry, hi…are you okay?” she said sleepily.

“Yeah, I’m okay,” Harry said, pulling up a chair next to her. She looked at him, more awake now.

“Are you over this whole break up thing yet?”

“Yes.”

“Well that’s too bad because I…what?” Ginny looked at him wide-eyed.

“I’m over it. You were right. I have no idea what’s coming, but I know that I can’t face it without your love and help. I want to get back together with you.” Harry took her hand in his and kissed it.

“We were never broken up,” Ginny said with a sweet smile.

“We were. I broke up with you, but I know it was a mistake.” Then he added playfully, “I hereby decree that we are back together.” Harry saw the relief and happiness spread across Ginny’s features, and as he looked into her eyes, he was again strengthened in a way that he had never experienced before.

“You should kiss me now,” Ginny suggested.



A/N Thanks to my fantastic beta readers mugglemomjackson and stabbim!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=41055