How Thin IS the Line Between Love and Hate by Bigmouth93
Summary: James has always loved Lily, and Lily has always hated James. But when they return for their seventh year of Hogwarts as Head Boy and Girl, something has changed. But what?
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 960 Read: 1712 Published: 01/05/06 Updated: 01/05/06

1. Rumor Has It by Bigmouth93

Rumor Has It by Bigmouth93
Lily's P.O.V.

Lily Evans leaned back in her chair and felt the wind from the open window on her face. A new school year, another year of avoiding Potter and his pesky "Marauders". Lily felt the familiar wave of hatred sweep over her at the mere mention of his name. What an idiot! He spent all his time trying to catch people's attention, and people bought it! In fact, right now, Lily's best friends Michelle and Bridget were off flirting with the Marauders, the arrogant brats! What did girls see in them, to follow them around like lost puppies? Lily yawned. She glanced at her purple wristwatch and realized, with a start, that the Hogwarts Express would be reaching Hogwarts in exactly five minutes.

"Bloody hell!" she exclaimed, jumping up to get changed. She was halfway through pulling on her robes when the compartment door opened. Lily gasped and spun around, finding herself staring into the hazel eyes of the newest Head Boy.
***********************

James's P.O.V.

James Potter leaned back in his chair and felt the wind from the open window on his face. Where were Padfoot and Moony? And Wormtail, for that matter, but he was wherever Moony and Padfoot were, so what was the point in asking, even? James yawned. They were probably being flirted with by Lily's friends, Bridget and Michelle. But not Lily. Lily was too mature for that.

James closed his eyes and thought about Lily. Her gleaming emerald eyes, her sweet smile that he had only seen for others. He felt the familiar wave of love flowing over him. He thought of the hurt in Lily's eyes when Snivellus, yet again, called her a mudblood. And yet she STILL insisted on defended Snape whenever she was needed.

James shook his head and looked at his watch. He would be at Hogwarts in five minutes. He would officially be Head Boy in five minutes.

"I should find Padfoot and Moony," he thought to himself and lazily got up and started off down the corrider. He looked through doors as he passed by. There was Longbottom, lounging on his seat. James waved hello. There was Snivellus, who passed James a glance brimming with hatred. James reached the end of the coridor. The only door remaining was there, closed. He would probably find the rest of the marauders in there.

James pushed open the door and found himself face-to-face with Lily Evans, halfway through changing into her robes, yet as beautifull as ever.

"Potter,"she muttered, red in the face and glaring at him as she tried to pull on her robes.

**************************

Lily's P.O.V.

Lily Evans had never been so embarassed in her life. Until a moment later. In walked Leslie and Lorelai, the class gossips.

"OH MY GOD!" screamed Leslie. "I mean, are we interrupting something?" Giggling and whispering to each other, they ran out the door.

"How could you do this, Potter?" whispered Lily,"You planned this all, didn't you? You knew I would be changing,so you got Alice and Lorelai to come down here, and walked in here, just so it would look as if I was your next playtoy. Am I right, or am I right?"

"That's bull and you know it, Evans!" yelled James. "I was, for your information, looking for the rest of the marauders when I saw your door and thought that they might be in there."

"Of course that's what you thought, since you're so truthful." said Lily.

"You know that the only reason I never stay with a girl for a long time is because the only girl I've ever really wanted to be with is you. Everyone knows that I've loved you since I first saw you, except you refuse to trust me!"

Lily looked into James' eyes and saw, not the usual cockiness and arrogance, but a hurt sadness. For a second, she felt an extremely powerful emotion course through her body, but it wasn't the usual hate. But if it wasn't hate, what was it?

*******************

James' P.O.V.

James saw hurt, and confusion, and dislike in Lily's eyes. But, for a second, he saw a different emotion, an emotion that made him want to kiss her.

He was about to step closer to her when Lily's eyes gained back their usual hatred in James' presence and Lily yelled,

"Out! Get out!"

James backed out of the compartment as quickly as he could. Passing by Snivellus' compartment, he heard Snivellus yell,

"Hey, Potter, snogging mudbloods now, are you?"

Longbottom yelled,

"Nice, James!"

when James went past his compartment. Stepping back inside his own compartment, Sirius stopped him.

"So, Prongs, rumor has it you were snogging Evans."

"Yeah, is it true?" asked Wormtail, in his annoying, jittery, voice.

"I don't want to talk about it," replied James as he turned his face towards the window.
What had that emotion on Lily's face been?

*********************************

Lily's P.O.V.

Bridget walked through the door, followed by Michelle.

"Is it true, then?"

"Yeah, because rumor has it you were snogging James,"added Michelle.

"Can we not talk about it?" Lily replied, looking out through the frosted window.

What was that emotion she felt?


Author's Note:
We want reviews!!!!! pleese review!
sorry the chapter is short, but well try and make the next one longer!
Oh, and thanks to those who did review! the next chapter should be up by next week, hopefully! Happy Martin Luther King Jr. day!
REVIEW!!!!!!! . . .plz?
Gen, Lydia, Cicely

COME ON! 167 reads and 5 reviews? you rock at reading! but more reviews,PLEASE!
-Gen
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=41095