Only In My Dreams by Ice Cream Eater
Summary: Ron has been dreaming of Hermione during the summer months. He hasn't told anybody. Hermione is secretly thinking of him as well. When will they find out their love for each other and what will happen then?

Mostly Ron/Hermione, but Harry and Ginny are a couple.

Warnings: Alternate Universe, and eventually some Violence
Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe, Book 7 Disregarded, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 17651 Read: 87500 Published: 01/08/06 Updated: 11/11/09

1. Diagon Alley by Ice Cream Eater

2. Realization by Ice Cream Eater

3. Failure by Ice Cream Eater

4. Partners by Ice Cream Eater

5. Dear Viktor by Ice Cream Eater

6. Hogsmeade by Ice Cream Eater

7. The Plan by Ice Cream Eater

8. Lunch with Lavender by Ice Cream Eater

9. Vision from Voldemort by Ice Cream Eater

10. Attacked by Ice Cream Eater

11. Hermione Speaks by Ice Cream Eater

12. Lost by Ice Cream Eater

13. Truth Revealed by Ice Cream Eater

14. Finally by Ice Cream Eater

15. Resolution by Ice Cream Eater

Diagon Alley by Ice Cream Eater
Author's Notes:
I came up with this fic after I read HBP and decided it should take place in 7th year. I have decided to let Dumbledore live. (Yay!) The only reason I did this is to let Hogwarts be open and not closed forever.
Disclaimer: Everything here belongs to J.K. Rowling except that which is not hers.


There were only a few days before the start of his seventh year and Ron could not wait until his annual trip to Diagon Alley and reunion with Hermione, this time more than usual. He had been dreaming of her constantly for the past two months, day and night.

Every morning he would wake up, turn over to his left and see Hermione's peaceful sleeping face. He would reach out to stroke her curly chestnut hair. As his fingers approached she would disappear.

Afterwards, he would close his eyes and see her face, only now she would be awake. He would lean in toward her to give her a kiss, but as he got closer to her lips, she would--

"RON! WAKE UP!" Startled, Ron fell off his bed. He never found out what she was going to do.

He had gotten very close to finding out once, but then Ginny had ripped off his sheets and shrieked, "Harry's here!" Ron had avoided him all day. He hadn't wanted Harry to interrupt his dream life. It was what he wished his life to be and was up to the point when he was in a trance for so long he believed it was real. Harry had been too busy doing who-knows-what with Ginny to notice; but Ron could've cared less at this point of their friendship.

Ron got back into his bed and closed his eyes but nothing happened. It's all Ginny's fault. He got up, dressed, and clambered down the stairs finding nothing but toast left from breakfast (or was it lunch?).

"Ron, hurry up, it's nearly 12:00," Mrs. Weasley said. "Grab something and have it in the car." There was no choice apart from that one piece of toast. He ate the toast half-heartedly as he climbed into the car The Ministry had sent for Harryr17;s sake. He could not live unless he saw Hermione again. There was one more bite left, but he could not eat it because it looked uncannily like Hermione. His mind wandered off and he began to daydream.

"Ron! Get out of the car, mate," Harry said. "I think he's got a delusional mind," he added to Ginny.

"Are you kidding? This is how he usually acts. No mind at all," Ginny replied. Ron had heard what she said, but decided not to bother. He remembered she had woken him up that morning.

When they got to Diagon Alley, Ron and Harry took off to get their new books. As they picked up their first new book, The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 7, at Flourish and Blotts, they found Hermione behind a walking stack of books. The one on top was How to Score a Perfect N.E.W.T. When she saw them, she dropped her library and ran to greet them. Bloody hell! She's more beautiful than I remembered!

Her hair had an elegant bounce as her chocolate eyes sparkled in the late summer sun. Her smile brought a cure to everything and Ron dissolved in her presence.

"Harry!" she gave him a hug. "Ron!" she did the same to him. Ron felt a rush of sensation throughout his body like he was finally awake, though he couldn't help wondering why she had gone to Harry first. What could this mean? Does she care for Harry more then she cares for me?

"I missed you guys so much!" Hermione cried.

Ron began to tremble and his words flooded out, " I missed you guys, too. I mean, not Harry he's been here all summer. Not here, myhouse. Notjustmyhouse. MymumanddadandGinnyand, and-" He had no clue what else to say and his words staggered. Harry stared at him with a questioning look.

"Ron," he whispered, "do you want to talk about something?" He took him to the end of the alley. " Ron, tell me what's wrong."

"Harry, you know what's wrong? You! You have one girlfriend and you still aren't pleased!"

"I don't know what you are talking about."

"I think you do!" Ron stormed off as he thought to himself, Was Harry lying or did he really have no clue?




Harry started to follow Ron. He had caught a slight hint of what was going on. Of course, why didn't I catch this before? Ron likes Hermione. And Hermione liked him, too. Harry had a hunch that if Ron told her his feelings, she would be delighted.

"Ron!" he had caught up to him. "I know what's been going on. You like her don't you?"

"Harry, you don't get it. I don't like her. I - you know -" he whispered, "I love her."

"Why don't you tell her?" Harry felt he had to keep Hermione's secret to himself. He couldn't tell Ron that she liked him because he wasn't completely sure.

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I'll get sick."

As Harry got frustrated, he couldn't help yelling, "Do you love her or not? It's not going to help by bottling everything up inside, Ron!"

Ron was starting to feel a bit uneasy and hid his qualms by saying, "Calm down, Harry. I'm going to tell her in the end. Eventually."

"The end of what? The world?"




A/N: You might want to remember that "End of the World" line. ; )
Realization by Ice Cream Eater
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long wait. I hope you like it!
On their first day back, they had a review quiz in every subject. After their Transfiguration quiz, they headed to lunch. It had been a long day. So far they had had four quizzes and there were plenty more to go.

"It's the day after break and I'm already failing," Ron said at lunch. "I need to take my mind off of all these reviews."

"Take your mind off them any more and you'll be sure to fail this year," Harry said.

"C'mon, Harry, it's seventh year. Lighten up a bit." Ron changed the subject. "How 'bout Quidditch? I've been practicing all summer."

Hermione jumped into the conversation. "You've got some tough competition." That was what got Ron's attention. He was out to get Hermione's attention, and this was the way to do it. Her type was definitely the Quidditch players.

"But, your schoolwork comes first," Hermione added. "I want you to be in the library by dinner."

"You mean I don't get to eat?" Ron questioned.

"If you want to achieve your goals, you need to persevere."




Ron and Harry had to be quick. They had just finished up Quidditch practice and had to get Ron into the library as fast as possible. They ran inside and upstairs.

"We don't have any time," Harry said. "You've got to get to the library now!"

"But wait-" Ron was pushed through the library doors. "Don't I get anything to eat?" he finished to himself.




Hermione had been waiting for Ron in the library with stack of books two feet high. Then she spotted him jostling through the door. She rested her head in her palm and couldn't help smiling as she saw his messy red hair and mangled clothes. He had gone through a lot of work just to get to the library and Hermione was impressed just by that.

"Oh, Ron," she sighed admiringly. She sat up, surprised at what she had just said to herself. I cannot let myself fall for him. It's not right.

"Hey, Hermione," Ron said casually.

"Hi, Ron. I didn't think you would actually show up." Ron looked at the pile of books. "Well," she looked at her fingernails, "I was hoping you'd show up. Let's get started."

She started with identifying potions and their uses. Then she went on to how certain potions might not work on a specific person. "In what case will a love potion will not work?"

"When the drinker is in true love." Ron stared into her glazed brown eyes but Hermione could not bear it and broke off and looked into her book quickly.

"Ummmr30; I think we've done enough studying for tonight," Hermione said. "I'm feeling a little tired. See you, Ron."




Hermione walked into the girls' dormitory with a look on her face that completely explained what she had been doing all night, daydreaming about love. Lavender and Parvati watched in awe as Hermione floated into the room.

Lavender smiled. "I know that face. So who is it?"

"Huh? Excuse me? What?" Hermione was confused. She just got back to Earth.

"Who do you like, Hermione?" Parvati questioned.

"That's none of your business. Besides, I don't like him. I love him." Hermione was proud of her answer.

"Well, whoever he is, as long as he's not Ron, you should ask him out," Lavender stated.

"What if he is?" Hermione was starting to feel a green monster popping out from under her skin.

"Are you saying that's who you fancy?" Parvati said.

"No, I'm just wondering. He's one of my best friends."

"And my future boyfriend," Lavender stated.

"Oh, really?" We'll see about that, Hermione thought.




It was nearly three o'clock and Hermione couldn't sleep. Her mind was wandering and lost. She didn't know if she really liked Ron or just had an over-protective sisterly bond with him. What are my true feelings?

At six she woke up and found Lavender and Parvati giggling by the door. "Do you think he'll see it?" she heard.

"What's going on?" she asked sleepily.

"Nothing, Hermione. Go back to sleep." Hermione got up and dragged to the door. She peeked out. Ron was holding a box of chocolates.

"G'morning Hermione," Ron said, "This box of chocolates is addressed to me but I don't like dark chocolate. Do you want some?" Hermione walked downstairs. She couldn't help but wonder what Lavender and Parvati had to do with this.

"No!" boomed a sudden voice. "Hermione, don't eat those!" Lavender snatched the box from her and ran back to the dormitory.

"What's with her?" Ron questioned.

That's odd, Hermione thought.




Harry came out of the boys' dormitory and the three of them went of to breakfast. There was a bountiful amount of food and pastries. Ron hurriedly settled down and gobbled up enormous bites. Lavender and Parvati stared as he took a gulp of pumpkin juice. They seemed to be waiting for something to happen.

"Harry, is it me, or is there something suspicious about the way those two are acting lately?" Hermione explained the chocolate incident.

"Hermione, you're being paranoid. There's nothing suspicious about them," Harry assured. Hermione is definitely jealous, Harry thought. She thinks she can hide it but she can't.

"Hermione, do you want to tell me something I don't know?" Harry questioned her.

"What? Oh-no! Nothing!" Hermione answered unsteadily. "Nothing at all."
Failure by Ice Cream Eater
Author's Notes:
I know it's been a while, but here it is. I hope you enjoy!
Breakfast was over and everyone streamed out of the Great Hall, scrambling to their first class. Hermione hurried to Potions. She liked to get to class early on test days to squeeze in some last minute studying. Ron and Harry ran to catch up with her.

"Hermione, do you think I'll pass?" Ron asked worriedly.

"Ron, it's a review. You are going to do fine," Hermione reassured. Ron smiled, pleased with her response. He'd been trying very hard to be the man of knowledge lately. And Hermione seemed to notice. She continued, "I've never seen you like this before. What's gotten into you?"

"I don't know. I just want a change."

"Well, we're all very proud of you, Ronald," said Harry jokingly.

Once they got to Potions, they took their usual seats, Hermione behind Ron, Harry next to him. Hermione opened her textbook and started to quiz herself. Her mind wandered off, dreaming of her night alone with Ron. She stared into his deep blue eyes. She longed to stop time. She longed for the feeling she had to stay forever. What is this feeling I have?

"Hermione!" came a whisper. She blinked and saw Ron facing her, turned around in his chair. She looked up at Professor Slughorn.

"Books down, Miss Granger," he repeated.

"Sorry, Professor."

"Now that Miss Granger has cleared her desk, it's time to start the test." With a jab of his wand, a test popped up in front of each student. "You will have the whole class to finish the test. Remember to use a crow feather quill. I'm using a new grading technique. And you may begin."

Hermione ran through her test like a rabbit on fire. Then she got to question number eleven.

"In what state is a person if a love potion failed to work on them?"

She knew the answer. It had been echoing through her head since her night with Ron. True love. She couldn't help remembering Ron's blue eyes as they stared into hers when he said that. She realized what she had been feeling all summer, especially last night. I love Ron. But does he have the same feelings for me? But Lavender also likes him, too. Does he like her more than me?

POP! She was startled when her test popped away.

"Time's up!" Professor Slughorn had a stack of papers in his hand. Tapping the paper three times, Hermione watched as the top paper got a giant red letter. He moved his wand in a circular motion and with a quick jab and a mutter of "Returno!" their papers were right back in front of them. Professor Slughorn walked around observing his students' reactions. He walked over to Neville, who was confusedly staring at his red question mark. "I told you to remember to use crow feather quills."

"Sorry, Professor," he started, "I knew I forgot something."

"I'm going to have to grade this by hand." He took back the test. "Has anyone else got a question mark for a grade?" A handful of people raised their hands and he collected them all.

Meanwhile, Hermione took one look at her test. Her eyes welled up and tears splashed onto the paper. It was the first one in her life; the first D in her life. As soon as the class was dismissed, she ran to the bathroom and into the first stall to the right, crying just as she had done in her first year.




Ginny walked up to Harry and Ron at lunch. "Hello, Ginny," Harry said, "I saved you a seat." He gestured towards one of the two empty chairs across from him.

"Where's Hermione?" she asked.

Harry answered, "I haven't seen her since Potions. I think she has Ancient Runes after Potions and she probably went straight to the library. You know Hermione, constantly studying."

"What I'd give to be with her," Ron sighed.

"What was that, Ron?" Ginny said, "I didn't quite hear you."

"I said, 'I'm looking for an aquifer,'" he rhymed.

Ginny said with sarcasm, "That's great."

While Ron stared at his potatoes, she added to Harry, "He's a bit loony nowadays."

Ginny finished her lunch early and went to the library with two rolls in her pocket, hoping to find Hermione. She didn't want her to go without eating. Ginny went into the library, but the only people she saw were a group of Ravenclaws and a couple lonely studiers. She didn't see Hermione anywhere. She went to look elsewhere.




Hermione sobbed for what seemed like hours and hours. Then she heard footsteps. She squatted on the toilet so no one would see her feet and know she was there, but her sobbing would not cease.

"Hermione?" someone called, "I know you're in here. Why are you crying?" Hermione recognized the familiar voice of Ginny and slid her test under the stall door. "Is this why?"

"It's not just that," she sobbed. "It's your stupid brother." At that point, Ginny knew exactly what was happening. She knew why Ron was acting all funny, too.

"Hermione," she started, "it's going to be okay--."

"No, it's not! Can't you see that? Ron doesn't like me, at least, not in the way that I like him. He would never like me."

Ginny didn't understand. Can't Hermione see that Ron is completely in love with her? Apparently, she didn't.

"Ginny, please, don't tell him," Hermione pleaded. "He would only laugh in my face. You know how he is."

Ginny didn't know what to say. She only had a clue why Ron was acting weird lately. She didn't know for sure, so she couldn't tell Hermione how he felt. She could only answer with, "Okay, I promise. And promise me that you will cheer up a bit. Everybody has bad days." Now, she had to find out how Ron really felt about Hermione. Hopefully, it would be the way that didn't break any hearts.
Partners by Ice Cream Eater
Author's Notes:
I've been long, but here it is.
A month had passed and, as the first week of October came, so did their first Hogsmeade trip. Harry and Ron saw the bulletin in the Gryffindor common room during their free period. The trip was scheduled to be on the second Saturday of the month.

“So, Harry, I expect you’re going to go with Ginny?” Ron asked.

“And I expect you to ask Hermione to go with you,” Harry replied.

“I just can’t,” Ron answered, “You know how it goes when I try to ask someone out. I get all nervous and stuff. I can’t do it.”

“Sure you can,” Harry said positively. “You just need some practice.” Ginny walked through the portrait hole. “Here, watch,” he said to Ron.

As she approached them, he said, “The next Hogsmeade trip is next Saturday. Do want to go with me?”

“Of course, I would love to, Harry,” Ginny giggled. “Did you think I wouldn’t?” Harry glanced at Ron, who was about a foot away from them. “Oh,” she mouthed.

Ron brought Harry aside. “I can’t do that! First of all, she’s your girlfriend. You definitely know she actually likes you. And she wouldn’t say no.”

“Okay, maybe I gave a bad example but,” Harry started, “hold on---” He went back over to Ginny, who was talking to some of her friends.

“Ron needs some help. He wants to ask out someone, but he can’t.” Ginny’s eyes widened, but Harry didn’t notice. “So can you help?”

“Anything for big brother Ron,” Ginny said happily. I knew it! Ron likes Hermione and Hermione likes Ron back. Oh this is so exciting!

Harry and Ginny walked back to where Ron was sulking. “Pretend Ginny is who you want to ask out,” Harry told him. He wondered if he should tell Ginny it was Hermione he wanted to ask out.

“I can’t ask her out! She’s my sister!” Ron exclaimed.

“Ron just pretend,” Ginny said. “You don’t have to kiss me or anything.”

“I still can’t. It’s just weird.”

“Hold on,” Harry had an idea. “Ginny, hold still, this might go horribly wrong and I don’t want to hurt you.” Ginny had a horrified face and closed her eyes as Harry waved his wand around. A second later, she had curly, blond hair and absolutely no freckles.

“How’d you do that?” Ron was amazed.

“Tonks showed me,” Harry said simply.

“What did you do to me?” Ginny demanded. She took out a mirror compact from her bag.
“Wait, you need a different name.”

“Okay, then,” Ginny said impatiently, “how about, uh, Julia?”

“No, I don’t like that name much”“

“Just ask her out already!” Harry growled.

“No need to get hostile,” Ron said to Harry. He tried his best to stare at “Julia’s” forehead and not look at her eyes, which still looked like Ginny’s. He opened his mouth but nothing came out. Finally, he was able to speak, “This is just too weird.”

“Well, we gave it a try,” Ginny said reassuringly. “You should just ask her out, Ron. Who could say no to you?” Harry was about to say something when Ginny shot him a look that made him jump. He knew not to get on her bad side.




After their free period, Ron and Harry headed off for Defense Against the Dark Arts. They saw Hermione in the corridor and caught up with her. Harry stayed a little behind the two of them.

“Hello, Ron, Harry,” said Hermione as she saw them approach. “How was your free period? I wish I had one. I’ve got loads of homework from Arithmancy.”

“Oh, you know, it was fine,” Ron said. He looked questioningly back at Harry, who nodded.

“Go ahead,” he mouthed.

“Actually, Hermione, uh, I saw the date for the first Hogsmeade trip on the common room board. It’s on Saturday and I was won“ ahh!” Ron tripped on what appeared to be nothing. Harry saw Malfoy laughing with his Slytherin cronies a little behind them. Why wasn’t he expelled? Harry thought. He tried to murder Dumbledore last year after all.

“Hey, Weasel,” Malfoy taunted,” how are things with the Mudblood?” Ron could feel his face get hot. He was used to being called Weasel by Malfoy, but he couldn’t stand seeing Hermione being called a “Mudblood”. It was the worst thing you could call anybody. The fact that he saw them as a couple made Ron light up on the inside though.

“How’s your dad?” Ron asked sarcastically. “Having fun in Azkaban?”

“I suggest that you not to insult my father, but what can you expect from a blood-traitor?” Malfoy already had his wand drawn and Ron did the same.

“Ron, don’t do anything,” Hermione whispered. “It doesn’t even matter anymore.”

Ron didn’t listen and in almost an instant, Malfoy’s lips fell off. “That’ll teach you to keep your mouth shut!” Ron proclaimed as a pair of lips bounced on the ground.

“Weasley, what have you done to Draco?” Snape had come from his classroom. Apparently, Snape had dealt with this hex before and knew how to get the lips back on to Malfoy’s face. “Fifteen points from Gryffindor and detention for the next two Saturdays.”

For a minute, Ron felt relieved. He didn’t have to ask out Hermione yet. Then again, he had the courage to face Malfoy. Maybe he could ask Hermione without fainting. In that case, he dreaded the two Saturdays with Snape.

Everybody who had been frozen, staring at the commotion returned to his or her normal lives. The seventh years crowded at the doorway to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Snape dragged his wand in the air and made everyone shift to make way for him.

As everyone got seated, he started the day’s lesson with a long lecture. “Non-verbal spells are very useful in defensive magic, but deceiving your opponent into thinking you are doing a certain spell is even more useful. To say the incantation for one spell, while performing a different one is what you’ll be learning today. It will be extremely difficult and will harmfully backfire if you do not concentrate.”

Hermione’s hand shot up. “Is it true, Professor, that you used this method last year to merely Stun Professor Dumbledore, while the Death Eaters thought you had killed him?”

“Yes, it is true. Now this technique is much emphasized in your N.E.W.Ts. With your partner, in turn, perform a Shield Charm while saying the incantation; ‘Expelliarmus’ while your partner attempts to disarm you. Begin.”

Lavender immediately jumped up and headed to where Harry, Hermione and Ron were sitting. Hermione glared at her.

“Ron, would you like to be my partner?” Lavender asked him very loudly, so that just about everybody could hear her.

“Uh, sure,” Ron said. He couldn’t turn her down after she had put on a show to ask him. Ron went off with Lavender almost by force as she grabbed his wrist and pulled him away from Harry and Hermione.

Parvati looked like someone had just broken her wand. The only person left was Neville after Harry had just partnered with Hermione.



Ron and Lavender began practicing their spells in an awkward silence, occasionally broken with an “Expelliarmus!”

"Okay, I just wanted to ask you something." Lavender looked over at Hermione across the room. "Are you going to Hogsmeade this Saturday? I was hoping maybe you would want to go with me?"

"Um... actually, I have detention with Snape." Ron shook his head and remembered Lavender had already been in the classroom when he had jinxed Malfoy.

“Oh,” Lavender said. “What did you do to deserve that? I’m sure he would love to give you detention just for being Harry’s best mate.” There was a thud and Ron looked around to see Harry scrambling to get up.

“Malfoy was being a complete git. Had to teach him a lesson. Made his mouth fall off his face.”

“I wish I was there. Would have been a great laugh.” Lavender giggled like a schoolgirl.

“Yeah, he was shooting the old Mudblood insult at Hermione.” Lavender turned slightly pink. Ron was surely friends with Hermione, but could he like her?




Hermione couldn't help glancing back at Ron and Lavender. She saw Lavender give her a look when she said something to Ron. It was in audible to her. Ron shook his head no. They seemed to be having a wonderful time. What are they saying?

A possible conversation ran through her mind.

"Do you like Hermione?"

"No."

“She’s just a friend. Why would I like her?”


Hermione didn't feel sad though. She felt angry.

"Expelliarmus!"

Harry (who had been saying, “Hermione… Hermione…” for the past minute and was not prepared) fell backward as Hermione unsuccessfully produced a Shield Charm. She wasn't concentrating and powerfully disarmed him instead. Harry got up and brushed himself off.

"Hermione, I know something's bothering you. You usually get the hang of everything so quickly," he said to her.

"Nothing's bothering me. I'm just, I don't know, I'm just not focusing."

“Well, alright,” Harry said. “If you want to get anything off your chest, I’m here.”

Hermione was confused. She didn’t understand. I was so sure that Ron liked me back. How could I be wrong? She couldn’t decide whether to tell Harry or not. Can I trust Harry?
Dear Viktor by Ice Cream Eater
On Saturday morning, just about every student third year and above hurried off to breakfast as if it would make the time go quicker. The students couldn’t wait to be able to leave school grounds for a couple hours, but Hermione walked slowly behind everyone else.

“Do you think we should ask her to come along with us?” Ginny asked Harry. “She looks terribly miserable.”

“I do feel bad about leaving her behind,” Harry said, “but there’ll be other trips.” Ginny gave him her ‘I’m-the-girl-and-I-know-best’ face. “Oh, all right. We’ll ask her at breakfast.”

The two then hurried to breakfast like everyone else. The Great Hall was buzzing with excitement. Harry and Ginny sat down at the Gryffindor table and saw Ron catch up to them.

“Detention, on the first Hogsmeade Saturday of the year,” Ron said angrily. “Even McGonagall would let me off just for the Saturday!” He looked around. “Where’s Hermione?”

“We saw her in the corridor, just awhile ago,” Ginny answered. “She doesn’t look too happy.”

Ron had forgotten that Hermione would have no company to Hogsmeade with Harry and Ginny prancing around in daisy fields and whatnot. Oh how he wished he hadn’t gotten a detention.

“Weasley!” Ron’s thoughts of Hogsmeade left his mind only to be replaced again by Snape’s cold, emotionless voice. “Detention, my room, eleven o’clock. You won’t be needing a wand.” He turned on his heel and headed back to the teacher’s table.

“Ugh,” Ron said disgustedly, “I guess I’ll be back to those bedpans.”

As they began to eat, Hermione entered the Great Hall and sat down next Harry. “Hi, Hermione.”

“Good morning,” said Hermione, though it didn’t sound like she was having one. Harry helped himself to some of the food that surrounded them, but dropped his fork when Ginny kicked his leg. He looked over and saw Ginny giving him her signature look again.

“Hey, I know that today was supposed to be a day for just Ginny and me, but we’d like you to come with us to Hogsmeade,” Harry said sympathetically.

“Oh no, I wouldn’t want to ruin your day,” Hermione said hastily. “I have some homework to catch up on anyways. I’ve been falling behind.”

Harry choked on his scrambled eggs. “You’re falling behind on your homework?”

Harry had just asked the same question Ron was thinking of. How could Hermione be falling behind on her homework? She was usually weeks ahead of the class.

“Yeah, I’ve been,” Hermione thought for a second and sighed, “busy.”

“Hermione Granger, what have been up to?” Ginny said playfully.

“Oh, there’s just been so much homework. We’ve got N.E.W.T.s this year and I’ve got double the homework I had last year in Runes.”

Ron looked around and saw some of the students already leaving their tables and heading for the Entrance Hall. He longed to be able to leave the castle for a couple hours, and he also longed just to be with Hermione, even if they were studying. Instead he had detention. With Snape.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come?” he heard Ginny ask.

“No, you two go and have a good time.”

“All right, come on, Harry.” Ginny pulled him from the table and they headed towards the crowd of people.

Ron watched them leave and looked at Hermione as she poked at her food. She was barely eating. “Is something worrying you?”

“No,” Hermione said, “I’m just thinking.”

“Well, if nothing’s bothering you, I do have a couple hours before detention with Snape.“ Ron was searching his bag. “I’ve been trying hard to do the work myself but could you look at my Charms essay?” Ron looked up to see that Hermione had left the Great Hall.




Hermione had to get away. She couldn’t be around Ron anymore. She couldn’t stand looking at him. She had convinced herself that she was not in love and that she was just being obsessed, but her mind still wandered. He lingered in her thoughts when she was awake and haunted her dreams when she was asleep. She was so sure that he was going to invite her to spend the day at Hogsmeade with him, as more than just friends. Why in the name of Merlin would he do that? He and Lavender were having such a wonderful time in class. He would never like me. I’m just his friend, his book-loving, frizzy haired friend. But she wanted to be more than that.



Hermione found herself a table in the library and spread out all her books and notes. She still had so much to do. Every night for the past few weeks, she would separate herself from everybody else in the common room and come to the library in a secluded corner where she would not be distracted, only to get sidetracked by her thoughts.

She looked at all her instruments of learning and closed her eyes. She couldn’t handle all the pressure, not anymore. The stress was getting to her. The more she thought about him, the more she got distracted. And the more she got distracted, the more homework she put off doing. And the more homework she put off, the more she found her mind drifting and in no time, she was back in the place where she spent her study nights…

She was walking through Hogsmeade alone. The air was cold, but very refreshing. Suddenly, it got colder and the wind picked up. She wasn’t wearing a cloak and it started to snow. It got warmer, but she could still see trees being moved by the wind and snow still clung to her hair. She turned around to find Ron, taking off his own cloak, offering it to her. She gladly accepted and he held her tightly, his body shielding her from the wind. She loved everything about that moment and, as if it were real, she could smell his familiar scent.

“I love you,” she whispered in his ear, but her words seemed to have been carried away by the wind. Then, everything faded into darkness and it got cold again. She could hear voices, laughter. She followed the sounds, walking around in the darkness, and found Ron enclosed in a tight embrace with Lavender Brown.

Ron’s voice echoed. “I love you, Lavender.” There lips were moving closer together, barely touching, when Hermione woke up, her eyes filled with tears.

She then decided that it was enough torture. She had to tell someone. Instinctively, she picked up her quill and scratched onto a new piece of parchment, Dear Viktor. For the three years of life she had known him, he had been her confidant. With teardrops occasionally splashing the parchment, she poured her heart out into her letter. I’ve been holding this secret for too long… I cannot help myself… He is in my head even when I don’t think about him… I love his eyes, his smile, his… Even if there was nothing to love him for I still would… But there was this one-day in class… They were laughing… She was looking right at me…

When she finished, it was forty-five minutes after she had started and she had two pages worth of writing. Hermione sealed the envelope and put the letter in-between the pages of her book. She told herself not to go to the Owlery to send it until she had finished two of her essays. She was glad to be able to focus, now that her thoughts were clear.




Ron had just finished his detention with Snape. It was an aggravating four hours of cleaning just about every nook and cranny in his classroom and office, without magic. How could a man with such bad personal hygiene, be so clean? Ron couldn’t get the picture of all the dead spiders that just lay in the corners out of his head.

He decided to go back to the common room and just relax. It had been a long time since he had done that, with Quidditch practice almost every evening and mustering all his ambition to actually do his homework to try to impress Hermione. Once he got through the portrait hole, he slumped into a red armchair. He stared at the fireplace and sighed. He was trying so hard to win Hermione’s heart, but was unsuccessful, time and time again. Could it be that she thinks of me as no more than a friend?

Ron thought a little more and he had determined his action. Today was the day. He rehearsed in his mind about a million times. Hermione, I love you. Hermione I love you. He walked around the deserted hallways, abusing his prefect privileges, muttering the words under his breath. He heard footsteps and, afraid of being caught by a teacher, hid behind the wall. But it wasn’t, it was Hermione. Taking a deep breath, he started to walk towards her.

“Oh, hi, Ron,” Hermione said, looking at the floor.

“Hermione, it’s, er, funny running into your like this. I was thinking”thinking about you.”

Hermione’s books dropped. She seemed dazed. “Sorry,” she said hastily, kneeling to pick up her things.

“No, I’ll get that,” Ron said as he bent down to help her. He grasped for an envelope just as Hermione was and his hand brushed hers. Ron was sure he felt a shock, but she pulled her hand and the envelope away quickly. “I’ve been meaning to tell you something.” He took a breath. “Hermione, I”“ He caught a glimpse of the name scratched on the letter.

“Viktor?” Ron said, raising his voice slightly. “You’ve been writing to Krum? You’d rather talk to some bloke, hundreds of miles away, than me, who has always been by your side since first year?”

“There are things that I can tell him that I can’t tell you,” Hermione said, turning red, relieved that her letter had already been sealed.

“You expect me to believe he’s just a friend, then?” Ron said jealously.

“R-Ron, you d-don’t understand,” she said shakily. Hermione was nearly brought to tears.

“I can only guess what you two write about.” Ron exaggeratedly imitated Viktor’s Bulgarian accent. “Oh Herm-own-ninny, you are the most vonderful girl I haff ever met. Please, vill you come vis--”

“Well, if that’s what you think, then I’d rather not talk to you at all!” Hermione briskly walked towards Gryffindor Tower. Ron turned and watched her leave, wanting so much to call out her name and apologize but not having the heart to do so.




Hermione ran up the moving staircases and threw herself into the portrait hole. She didn’t care about the people that stared as she tore through the common room and slammed the door to her dormitory. It was empty, to her relief. She ripped open the letter, disgusted that she ever wrote it and tore up its contents. She threw its remains in the trash bin and curled up in her bed, tears streaming down her face, remembering every word she regretted writing in that letter. But there was one sentence that kept repeating itself in her mind. Even if there was nothing to love him for, I still would.
Hogsmeade by Ice Cream Eater
Author's Notes:
This chapter is quite different than my others as it is mostly Harry/Ginny and I had some trouble, but I hope y'all like it.
Harry and Ginny held hands as they walked through the streets of Hogsmeade. Looking through windows, they stepped into shops every once in a while to buy something. They were walking past Zonko’s when they saw a pair of ginger-haired twins putting up a sign in the front window.

“Fred, George!” Ginny called out, thrilled to see her brothers.

“Ginny, Harry!” Fred said, “You kids are behaving now, aren’t you?”

Harry let out a false laugh and let Ginny’s hand fall back to her side. “So what have you two been up to?”

“We’ve just bought Zonko’s,” George said, pointing to the sign. “‘Now selling Weasley products’,”

“Filch’ll definitely ban our products,” Fred pointed out.

“Meaning they’ll be flying off the shelves!” George finished enthusiastically.

“Why don’t you have a look inside?” Fred opened the door, revealing many people already in line to pay for their purchases.

“Harry, you know we’ll always be giving you a discount.”

“What about me? Not even for your own sister?”

“Don’t worry, Ginny. You have a deal too,” Fred said. “Flesh and blood pay double.”

George was chuckling and poked some more fun at his younger sister, but Harry was no longer listening to the conversation. He had spotted Lavender Brown wandering around the love potions aisle. She seemed to be stocking up on them. Harry remembered what Hermione had told him about what she had seen Lavender do to Ron’s drink and the suspicious box of chocolates.

Ginny called out Harry’s name. “What are you looking at?”

He blinked and Lavender was no longer there but heading towards the door, with her potions safely kept inside a bag. “Did you see Lavender, over there, by the love potions?”

“Yeah, why?” Ginny asked.

“Never mind,” Harry said, shaking his head. “C’mon, let’s back to school grounds. I don’t really feel like shopping anymore.”




Harry and Ginny walked across school grounds. There were many people sitting outside just chatting with friends but he really wanted to be alone with Ginny. He found a huge tree and recognized it right away. With a pang, he remembered seeing the tree in Snape’s memory; it was the one his father and his friends once sat around. He and Ginny sat down, leaning against it, and Harry started to think. With Ginny leaning on his shoulder, there was nowhere else he wanted to be, but his thoughts were brought back to the tree. His father, Sirius, Lupin, Peter Pettigrew… they were all in some way affected by Voldemort. He had already lost three people he had loved, would he lose more?

“Harry?”

“Hmm?”

“What are you thinking about?” Ginny sighed and looked up into Harry’s bright green eyes.

“Ginny, I need to tell you something. I’m worried.”

“Harry, you’re not worried about,” Ginny brought up the courage to say, “Voldemort, are you? You told me this summer that you and Dumbledore destroyed his Horcruxes. All there is left is to kill him, right?”

He wondered how Ginny could be so naïve. “Ginny, Voldemort doesn’t play clean!” Harry said a little too loudly. Several people turned and looked.

“I can take care of myself. I know what I got myself into the moment I let you kiss me last year.”

“I don’t want to lose you, Ginny,” Harry said softly. Harry couldn’t bear to lose another person in his life. The thought of losing her caused a lump to form in his throat.

Ginny’s eyes were glossy, but the tears never spilled. “Whatever happens to either of us, at least you will know that I love you.” Harry gave her waist a squeeze and her cheek a kiss. She smiled. “Just promise me that if I die you won’t turn to Hermione.”

Harry jerked out of surprise to hear her joke after he had just told her something that had been worrying him for quite a while.

“Because she belongs with Ron.”




Harry and Ginny returned to the common room around dusk, finding Ron sitting by the fireplace, looking like a wreck.

“Go away, you two,” Ron said grouchily. “I don’t want to talk anymore. I don’t want to live anymore.”

“Ron, I”we know what’s going on,” Ginny said comfortingly.

“No, you don’t,” Ron said briskly. “She hates me. She hates every bloody thing about me.”

Whatever had gone on between Ron and Hermione over the past five hours did not seem to have been a good thing.

“What did you do?” Harry asked. It seemed impossible that this could happen.

“I “ I don’t even remember anymore. All I know is that she isn’t going to talk to me again. She hates me. Every bloody””

Ginny got up and disappeared up the stairs that led to the girls’ dormitories.




“Hermione, it’s me, Ginny. Please unlock the door.” Ginny stood there waiting for another three minutes. She sighed and pointed her wand at the knob. “Alohamora!

She turned the knob and slowly walked in. There was a heap of blanketing moving up and down. “There’s no point in hiding. I’m no Squib. Why don’t you tell me what’s happened?”

“It doesn’t “ huh “ matter. I’m not talking “ huh “ to him “ huh “ ever again,” Hermione managed to say while hiccupping.

“Hermione, Ron really wants to talk to you again,” Ginny told her, watching her wince at the sound of her brother’s name.

“I’ve had enough of him. Everything that comes out of his mouth only makes me “ ugh!” She buried herself in the blankets some more.

“I know you still love him,” Ginny said gently. Hermione listened to Ginny lecture her, breathing heavily. “You can’t lie to yourself.”




Hours later, Lavender Brown walked into her dormitory. Hermione seemed fast asleep, so she quietly got ready for bed. She noticed the room had little scraps of paper on the floor. Being the gossip queen she was, she tried to read it but the paper was way too torn up. “Reparo,” she whispered.

By the light of the lamplight, she read the letter, completely thrilled that her chance for winning back Ron was regained.
The Plan by Ice Cream Eater
Author's Notes:
I've worked really hard bringing this chapter to life. It's not like the others so I hope you all enjoy!
It had been months since Hermione had made that promise to herself. She had not talked to Ron since October and the Holidays were approaching. Harry was going crazy. He couldn’t stand being with only one of his best friends at a time. Now he knew how Hermione had felt during his fourth year. It was torture. He resorted to spending his time with Ginny but he couldn’t talk to her about the same things he talked about with Ron and Hermione. They understood him in a way that Ginny couldn’t, just as she understood him in a way that they couldn’t.

“We’ve got to fix this,” Harry said, massaging his temples. “I can’t live another second like this.”

“There’s nothing I can do to try to get through to Hermione. It’s like she’s completely blocked Ron out of her life,” Ginny told him.

Now that he thought about it, he realized she was avoiding Ron at all costs. She rarely spent time in the common room or in the Great Hall. When Ron was there, she wasn’t.

“That means we have to talk Ron into getting to her. But he’s going to need some real help. We all know Ron’s not the romantic type,” Harry stated. He looked up at the clock, realizing it was almost time for his next class. “I’ve got to go, but I’ll see if I can talk to Ron.”

Harry entered the Transfiguration classroom and looked around. He spotted the flaming orange hair of Ron on one side of the room, and Hermione’s bushy brown hair on the other. Class was about to start and he needed to choose a seat before Professor McGonagall came in. He plopped down onto the seat in the center of the room next to Neville.

He felt sympathy for Neville. Sometimes he wondered how it would feel to be Neville. After all, his parents were both still alive, though not very well. He had an overprotective grandmother, whom Harry would surely trade the Dursleys in for. But he didn’t have many friends, or the fame that Harry had since he was a baby. He was just Neville.

The Transfiguration class was basically notes on a theory so there wasn’t much wand waving to do. Harry was happy that he was able to catch up to Ron as he left the classroom. At the same moment, he saw Hermione quickly get away and Ron’s eyes lingered on the path she took. It was awhile before he noticed Harry standing next to him.

“Harry, I didn’t see you there!” Ron said, startled.

“Yeah, I didn’t think you would,” Harry said simply.

“So you noticed,” Ron said quietly.

Harry just looked at him, not knowing what to say.

“I want to talk to her,” Ron said abruptly. “But it’s not like I have the nerve to do it. And she doesn’t even look at me. It’s like I don’t even exist to her!”

Harry could sense how much Ron wanted to be with Hermione.

“Ron, you can’t just stand here and watch her pass you by. You’ve got to do something!” Harry didn’t mean to say it so loudly, but he wanted to be sure Ron understood him.

“You’re right but I don’t know how.” Ron sighed.

“We’ll work something out.” Harry gave him a reassuring look as they headed off to lunch.

Just like everyday for the past couple months, as Harry and Ron entered the Great Hall, Hermione was on the verge of leaving. Ron looked down as she brushed past them.

“Ron! Over here!” called out an annoying voice. Harry looked at the Gryffindor table and saw Lavender waving her hand high up in the air. There was a little second year scrambling to get up off the floor and it looked as if she had just pushed him off his seat.

Ron groaned as he walked off to see Lavender. Harry trailed him, hoping he wouldn’t actually sit by her.

“Ronald, I’ve gotten you a seat,” she said sweetly.

“There doesn’t seem to be room for two. I don’t want to leave Harry out,” said Ron, trying to get out of it.

“Don’t worry about a thing. I’ve got it all covered. You there, get out of that seat!”

The little second year’s friend’s eyes grew wide with fear as he hurriedly got up.

“No, no. It’s okay. You can stay there and tell your friend to come back,” Ron told him. “We’ll find some where else to sit.”

Harry and Ron turned and walked away while Lavender called out, “You’ll sit with me tomorrow, won’t you? I’ll find a seat for Harry, too.”

They found themselves other seats and Ginny arrived the moment they sat down.

“So?” she started.

“Huh?” Harry had forgotten what his task was. Harry glanced around, saw Ron and remembered. “Oh, right. Well, he’s agreed to try but we have no clue how yet.’

Ron was now staring blankly into space. Ginny waved her hand in front of his face but he did not stir. “Ron!”

He blinked and looked around.

“Now that you’re back, we need to talk to you,” Ginny told him. “If you still cared you’d have done something by now.”

“But I do care,” Ron stated.

“Then do something.”

“I’ve tried,” Ron claimed. “Hermione won’t listen. She won’t even look my way.”

Harry butted into the conversation. “Ginny, it won’t help telling him off. We have to help. You haven’t seen Hermione in class. She’s changed her ways.”

“So, we know that Hermione eats lunch very early and very fast. She’s always off to class or the library,” said Ginny.

“We need to slow her down and make her come to the Great Hall after Ron’s here. I can take care of that,” Harry said. “I’ll cause a distraction or something.”

“Oh you get all the fun,” Ginny said with a laugh.

“What do I do?” Ron felt left out of his own plan to speak to Hermione again.

“All you have to do is get to lunch before Harry comes in with Hermione.”

Harry remembered something. “And get rid of Lavender.” Harry had a feeling there would be some trouble with that part.
Lunch with Lavender by Ice Cream Eater
Author's Notes:
Oh the schoolwork! I hate high school. I have finally found the time to finish this chapter and have added some slightly bizarre minor character behavior. Enjoy!
The next day came soon enough as Harry, Ron and Hermione, who had avoided the two for weeks, left the dungeons to go to lunch. Harry rarely spoke to Hermione these days and wondered how she felt. She must be a bit lonely. After all, both Ron and he were her closest friends and now they seemed to be miles away from her. Ginny and Harry decided it was best to try to talk to Hermione again to try to persuade her into joining them for lunch for the first time in weeks. Ron met up with Ginny and they left for lunch while Harry tried to catch up with Hermione just as planned.

“Hermione, hold on for a second,” Harry called out.

Hesitating for a moment, she looked back, expecting to see him with Harry but Harry was alone. She paused in her steps as he strolled over.

“You could have talked to me within the last two weeks, you know,” he said smiling, meaning for it to be a joke, though Hermione didn’t see it that way at first.

Hermione stalled. “Well, I’ve been busy, with studying and such,” she said, while concealing that the reason why was because he had always seemed to be with him. Hermione wondered if Harry could see past her white lie.

“Well, you can make up for it by coming to lunch. Come on, it seems like you haven’t had a decent meal in days.”

It was true. Everyday she had been using more energy than she took in. She had very short, quick meals, never fully eating an entire course.

“All right,” said a convinced Hermione. So the two of them took off to lunch. Hermione was shaking on the inside because she never anticipated this day to come so soon. She reluctantly followed Harry through the corridor. Suddenly he paused in his steps, squinting his eyes.

“Harry, what’s wrong?” she asked worriedly. She did not want to imagine that his connection to Voldemort had been reopened.

“Nothing. Just a headache,” said Harry, but Hermione did not believe a word that had come out of his mouth. She saw as he subtly traced his lightning bolt scar with his hand.

“Harry, you cannot let him get into your head. He might plant false images again,” Hermione warned. Harry’s eyes grew sad.

“I don’t need reminding,” he said softly.

“Sorry,” she said quietly.

An awkward silence prevented either of them from speaking, but after awhile Harry spoke up.

“I don’t think Voldemort can control it. Not this time. I heard laughter.”

Hermione thought about it for some time. Could it be that there was something that overjoyed him that much? Her stomach squirmed with fear.

“Maybe you should speak with Professor Dumbledore. He’ll know what is happening,” she said, trying to calm her own nerves.

“I’ll go tonight, but right now, we have to get to lunch,” Harry persisted.

Hermione felt there was something going on, but didn’t know what. She continued to follow Harry to the Great Hall.

As soon as the two entered the Great Hall, Hermione’s heart started beating fast. There was a feeling inside her that she couldn’t control, and the next thing she knew, she was sitting at Gryffindor’s long table across from Ron. The moment she realized this, her eyes darted around. She pretended not to notice him, while secretly stealing glances at his face. She caught him smiling and couldn’t help feeling like her head and her heart had separate ways. Her head had told her that they could never be together. She was not the one he loved, but her heart felt otherwise. Trying as hard as she could to neglect his presence, she looked down at her plate. Ron was struggling to say something.

“Hermione,” he managed to say. He reached over and touched her hand. “Please, Her ““

“Ronald!” Hermione looked up and saw Lavender Brown. “I thought you said you’d eat with me today.”

Ginny gave Harry a disgusted look.

“This was not supposed to happen,” Harry whispered to Ginny.

“This is fine,” Lavender said cheerfully. “I guess I could squeeze in.

She found herself space on the bench, her side pressed against Ron’s. He grew red and appeared very uncomfortable with the seating arrangement. There was not enough room for both of them to use both their arms. Hermione watched as she tried to utilize the arm between her and Ron and became unsuccessful.

“Could you feed me, Ronald?” she whined.

Hermione could not stand another moment of it. It was unbelievable. She abruptly stood up and threw her fork at the table. She stormed from the room, hearing Ron call her name. He got up and followed her but she did not stop until she had reached the first step of the moving staircase and turned around.

“Hermione, please. You don’t ““

“I cannot believe you!” She turned around once more and furiously ascended up the stairs, never wanting to see another face again.




After his last class, Harry headed to Professor Dumbledore’s office. He approached the gargoyles and repeated the password he had known the whole year. “Chocolate Toffee.”

He seemed to have caught Dumbledore on his way out. “Ah, Harry.”

“Sorry, Professor. If you were on your way out, it can wait until tomorrow. It’s just that, Hermione insisted.” Harry did not want to bother him.

“I trust Miss Granger had a good reason. Now was it “ your scar?”

“How’d you know?” Harry wondered.

“A man my age has a way of knowing. Now, Harry, what did you see?” Dumbledore questioned.

“Well, it wasn’t anything I saw. I heard Voldemort laughing.”

“And Miss Granger supposes it is something serious.”

Harry nodded.

After a moment of pondering Dumbledore stated, “I believe he had only tortured another Muggle, or punished another Death Eater. Nothing to worry about.” Dumbledore was being oddly optimistic, Harry noted, but he was the only one Harry could trust on the subject.

“Now, if there is nothing more you wish to speak about, I have an appointment,” Dumbledore excused himself. “Off you go now.”

Harry turned to leave the headmaster’s office, with an ominous feeling. Something felt different tonight with Dumbledore. He couldn’t explain it, but he felt something was not in its place.
Vision from Voldemort by Ice Cream Eater
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long wait. I hadn't realized that I had it under two categories and don't remember ever adding another one. I mean, the rest of my chapters had been approved, right?
Harry wandered down the quiet corridor as he reflected on what just happened. Dumbledore is usually not this carefree. Voldemort is at his greatest strength, though without his Horcruxes. Yes, that’s it. Maybe Dumbledore figures without his Horcruxes he is less powerful. But I can’t see why that would be? Something is not right here.

Harry lost his train of thought at the sound of bickering voices.

“I won’t! I can’t!” cried the familiar voice of Ron.

“Oh, be quiet! Someone will hear you. Now, I want you to go into the library and tell her how you feel,” Ginny told him.

Harry turned the corner and jumped into the conversation abruptly. “Hello.”

“Harry, where have you been?” said Ginny a little too loudly.

“You’re telling me to hush up,” Ron whispered hotly.

“Where have you been?” she repeated more quietly.

“I was talking to Dumbledore.” Harry remembered that he hadn’t told the two of them what had happened with Hermione earlier that day.

“About what? It wasn’t your “” Ron was cut off by Harry.

“It doesn’t matter at the moment. What are you two doing?” Harry changed the subject, to Ron’s disliking.

Ginny shot a glare at Ron, who winced in terror. “Hermione’s in the library.”

Harry looked around and noticed he was in front of the library doors. “I need to see her.” Harry wanted to tell her about his encounter with Dumbledore.

“No,” Ginny asserted. “Ron needs to go in there now.”

“No, I don’t,” Ron said. “Harry can go.”

“Why do you need to talk to her anyways?” Ginny interrogated.

Harry took a deep breath and began to tell his tale. He narrated how he got Hermione to eat lunch and what had happened when they were walking to the Great Hall. Every once in awhile, Ron or Ginny would butt in, annoying him a great amount.

“What did you hear?”

“Only his laugh.”

“What did you see?”

“I told you, I didn’t see anything.”

“Someone’s coming out of the library!” Ginny exclaimed.

Immediately following, Madam Pince came out and shushed at them. “Are you coming in or just standing here shooting your mouths off?”

“Sorry, Madam Pince. We’ll get going,” Ron said with a nervous laugh. Ginny grew furious.

The three of them began to walk away from the library while Madam Pince glared at them. Harry felt the need to turn around and enter the library, but didn’t want to cause any trouble with her. He was sure Ginny felt the same.

“What did you do that for?” she said, clenching her teeth.




Hermione looked over her shoulder and saw Madam Pince scolding someone just outside the library doors. It was nearing nine thirty and she decided she had studied enough for the evening, although she had barely studied at all with all kinds of stray thoughts running through her mind. First, there was the incident that occurred with Harry earlier that day. She wondered if he had gone to Dumbledore like she suggested. Then, there was Ron and Lavender. She knew she could always believe and trust him, but right now, that was a hard thing to do. She got up, packed up her things and headed for the door.

The moment she exited the library, she would go looking for Harry, but that was not necessary. She spotted his dark hair, between those of two ginger-headed siblings involved in conversation, or rather, argument. Willing to wait to speak to him, she hoped she could quietly glide past them without encountering Ron. Being as unnoticeable as her puffy hair would let her, she managed to pass, but something made her stop, just to see if he would notice. She stood there for a millisecond and she started to go again.

“Hermione, wait,” Ron called out. She didn’t turn around and he didn’t say another word. As she moved on, she heard whispering among the three.

She felt a warm grasp on her hand and turned around, startled. There she stood face to face with her, now realized, one true love, unable to speak and unable to move. “Hermione, please listen,” he started.

Hermione looked into his eyes, frozen by his gaze. Her heart was beating fast.

“I’m sorry about earlier today. It’s just that “”

“Argh!” There was a thump and yelp of pain as Hermione broke from her hypnotic state. Harry was now crumpled on the floor, eyes closed tight.



Harry fell to the floor as he entered Lord Voldemort’s mind. There were some recognizable faces in the room. Among them were Lucius Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange. This must have been the Malfoys’. He was sitting in a throne-like chair in front of a lavish fireplace. A familiar pale, pointed face appeared in the flames.

“My Lord, my task has been completed.”

“Young Draco, do you think I would trust you after the failure of your last task?” seemed to come out of Harry’s mouth, although he did not really say it.

“I assure you, it is completely safe,” Draco Malfoy said.

“Show me.”

Draco Malfoy disappeared from the fireplace and within seconds he reappeared with a crack!

“Whose fireplace did you just use?” said Voldemort’s nasally voice.

“The only one connected to the Floo network was Dumbledore’s,” Draco said plainly.

Harry felt an inhuman laugh vibrate through his body. “Your boy has done well,” he said to Lucius.

Voldemort rolled up his sleeve, revealing a bony, tattooed arm and pressed his wand into the skull that dwelt on his skin. “To Hogwarts…”

Harry felt the burning sensation on his forehead and he seemed to be weaving in and out of his own and Voldemort’s mind. He could hear the distinct voices of his friends and the high-pitch cackle of Voldemort at the same time.

“Harry!”

“Harry!”
Attacked by Ice Cream Eater
Author's Notes:
It's summer! I'll be sure to work on it now. Please enjoy this chapter while the others are waiting to be posted.
Hermione panicked. It was something that she had been worried about throughout the whole day. She could only think of the worst.

“Harry!”

“Harry!”

Ron and Ginny knelt beside her as they tried to get Harry back to consciousness. His forehead was covered with beads of sweat and he was gasping for breath. His screams were full of pain. Hermione could think of nothing to do to wake him up but to call out his name.

Ginny’s eyes grew large in fear. Hermione could feel herself shaking and was nearly to tears. Ron took hold of her cold hand and could feel his were shaking as well. All she wanted was to have him by her side, but these days were dark and only getting darker. Harry was beginning to stir.

“Harry, wake up,” Ginny croaked. “Please.”

Harry’s eyes opened and words immediately came out of his mouth. “They’re coming, the Death Eaters,” he said, panting.

“What? Are you sure?” Ron asked, subtly hinting what had happened two years ago that had resulted in the death of Harry’s godfather, Sirius.

“It doesn’t matter. We have to be ready. Ginny, go get Dumbledore, and hurry. Why didn’t he see it before?” He questioned, more to himself.

Ginny ran off to find Dumbledore.

“Harry, do you have your Invisibility Cloak?”

He nodded. It was tucked safely inside of his robes, ready for a time like this.

“Get under it and whatever happens to us, do not get out of it. You have to promise me. Voldemort is looking for you. Do not let him capture you. You must come to him on your own.”

Harry got under his Invisibility Cloak.

Ron turned to Hermione, realizing the severity of the circumstances. “If I don’t ever get another chance to tell you, I want you to know this.” He gently caressed her cheek and gave her a kiss that made her heart beat faster than it already was, but quickly drew away. “I love you, even though you may not feel the same way. I always will.”

Silenced by her own guilt, she could not return the words. He had felt that way all along. She felt horrible for being so cold and ignoring her feelings and his. She willed herself to find the courage to speak but did not have the chance. Her already rushing pulse skipped a beat as dark-cloaked figures started appearing exponentially out of nowhere.

Death Eaters were Apparating into Hogwarts. She could not understand. You cannot Apparate onto Hogwarts grounds!

Hermione began to get faint. The calamity of events made her confused. Everything was happening too quickly. She felt multiple conflicting emotions at the same time.

The Death Eaters stopped appearing and the last to arrive was a witch with dark, heavy-lidded eyes. “Well, what do we have here?” Bellatrix Lestrange’s voice echoed in the empty corridor.

“That’s Granger and Weasley. If I don’t know any better, Potter should be around,” said Draco Malfoy.

“Oh, Potter’s friends,” Bellatrix said. “So, where is he? We all know you know.”

Ron slowly reached into his robes for his wand.

“Don’t move!” the gaunt-faced woman commanded. She turned to two Death Eaters signaling them to keep both Ron and Hermione still. She leaned closer to their faces, noses nearly touching. “Where is he?” she hissed.

Ron found the courage to speak. “He’s not here. He’s… with… Dumbledore,” Ron nervously made up.

Bellatrix let out a malicious cackle and the rest of the Death Eaters joined in. “You lie.” She motioned her arm and one of the Death Eaters stepped out of the crowd. He slowly lowered his black hood, revealing a silvery gray beard.

Hermione gasped. “No.”

“Yes. He’s on our side now.”

“No, no.” Hermione was shaking. “Dumbledore would never… he’s always been…” Her voice died away in disbelief.

Hermione’s thoughts ran through her mind. Dumbledore was always against Voldemort. Why the sudden change? There was only one other way Death Eaters were recruited.

“Hermione, he’s under the”” Ron started to whisper.

Hermione finished frantically, “I know, the Imperius Curse.”

Bellatrix was annoyed with their whispering. “Silencio!” She turned to Ron and said, “I will break this curse. And when I do, you will tell me where Harry Potter really is. If you don’t,” she took her wand and pressed it to Hermione’s throat, “your little girlfriend will get it.”

Hermione glanced over at Ron, signaling her will with her eyes. Whatever happened to her, she would endure to save Harry and the rest of the wizarding world. She hoped that he would get the message. Ron looked around and seemed to be searching for something not able to be seen.

“Stop sending secret messages!” Bellatrix demanded. Ron stopped and turned pale. He feared what would happen to Hermione and hoped Harry saw him looking around.

Bellatrix flicked her wand once again and Ron felt the charm being lifted but still he did not speak. Hermione prepared for the worst breathing deeply and heavily. Bellatrix, on the other hand, grinned at their actions. This was the moment she was waiting for.

Crucio!” Ron watched in horror as Hermione’s body cringed in pain. He struggled to break free from the Death Eater’s grip. Her screams echoed and did not seem to stop. Her heart was beating fast and her body felt limp. She had never felt such discomfort.

Then, the curse stopped abruptly as Bellatrix’s wand flew from her hand and onto the floor. Hermione collapsed to the ground, panting. Her breath was shortening. Ron elbowed the Death Eater that held him and rushed to where Hermione was lying on the ground. “You’re going to be all right. I promise.” She managed to grab a hold of his hand.

“You!” Bellatrix screamed. She dove for her wand and started aiming curses at Ron but he was not the one who disarmed her. He got up and defended himself, wand drawn.

Hermione forced herself not to lose consciousness but she could barely keep her eyes open. Then, to her surprise, members of the Order of the Phoenix started arriving. Ginny must have gotten a hold of someone. The Death Eaters now had an army against them as teachers also started storming into the corridor. Colorful spells flew all around them.

Someone was picking her up. She recognized him as Lupin. “I’m going to get you somewhere safe,” he told her, but she didn’t want to leave. Not when Ron was here dueling against Bellatrix. She took one last glimpse as Bellatrix shot a spell that hit him squarely on the chest. Ron seemed to be falling in slow motion as Lupin turned on the spot. The two entered the familiar darkness as they Apparated and there was no strength left in her body to keep her eyes open so she just let them close, feeling there was nothing left to live for.
Hermione Speaks by Ice Cream Eater
Author's Notes:
I hope I didn't take too long to post up this chapter. I'm working as fast as I can!
Harry entered Ron’s hospital room at St. Mungo’s three days after the confrontation with the Death Eaters; it was the first day the Healers let any visitors come in. The Weasleys were at the foot of his bed as he sat there restlessly. Ron was not allowed out of his cot, let alone his room, and he desperately wanted to know where Hermione was and if she was all right. Harry managed to escape the fight with a few scratches and bruises but Ron, who did not have the advantage of being invisible, broke a couple of bones.

“Oh, Harry!” Mrs. Weasley cried as she rushed over and greeted him with a warm hug. “Good to see you up on your feet.” Mrs. Weasley lowered her voice, “We can’t say the same here.”

“How is Ron?” Harry asked quietly.

Ron still heard him. “I’m fine,” he answered for his mother. “I don’t know why they won’t let me out of here.”

“Your bones aren’t fully healed yet,” Mr. Weasley told him. “They were broken in consequence of Dark Magic. Only four more days until you are fully healed.”

Ron slammed his head back on his pillow. The door clicked as the Healer reentered the room with a bottle in hand. “All right, Ron needs his rest. Out you go!” She shooed Harry and the Weasleys toward the door. “Here, darling. Drink this up.”

“Wait! Harry.” Ron jumped out of bed and chased him until he stopped short of the door. “Have you seen Hermione yet?”

Harry turned around but faced the ground. “I’m sorry, Ron. They won’t let anyone visit her and no one has told me anything about what’s happened to her.”

“Oh, well,” he sighed, “I hope she’s okay.” His voice shook with pain. “I’ve just been thinking. It was my fault that she was hurt. I should have done something to stop quicker “”
“Ron, don’t think that. It’s because of me.” He lowered his voice so the Healer couldn’t hear. “Hermione just wanted what was best for the sake of the world. I’m the only one that can stop Voldemort. You know that.”

Ron nodded. The Healer was waiting patiently by his cot with Ron’s potion. “I guess you should go. Tell me if you hear anything about Hermione, please.”

“Don’t worry, I will.”




The Weasleys had gone to the gift shop to pick up a get-well gift for Ron. They did not like to see his usually lively spirit drowned by his confinement to his bed. Little did they know that he wanted no more than to be able to see Hermione and to be able to hear her say that she loved him, too.

Harry went to the reception desk and asked to see Hermione, anxious to find out the state of her health. The witch at the front desk told him that she was not in a state for visitors.

“I’m sorry to say that she has not woken up since she was brought in, but you are welcome to stay in our tearoom until we find out more about her condition.”

This was not what he wanted to hear. A guilty pang hit him as he thought of the reason why she was like this now. It was all my fault. Harry turned impatiently from the desk and the woman sitting behind it to face familiar bright, brown eyes.

“Ginny.” He wrapped his arms around her, comforted by her embrace. It seemed like that only thing that could prevent him from breaking out into a rage at the fact that Hermione was not okay because of him.

“She’s going to be okay,” Ginny said softly. “I know it.” But to Harry, her words were empty. There was no way that she could possibly know it.

The rest of the Weasleys were waiting for her. “We’re going back to the Burrow. You can come, too.” As much as he wanted to, he wanted more to stay and see how things were going with Hermione. He also wanted to wait until Ron got well enough to leave his room.

“No, I think I’ll stay here,” he responded.

“That’s fine. We’ll be dropping by tomorrow to check up on Ron. Maybe Hermione will be awake by then,” With that she stood on the tips of her toes and kissed him on the cheek. “See you, Harry.”

“Yeah, bye, Ginny.”




Harry had been sitting in St. Mungo’s Visitor Tearoom for over two hours. Fidgeting, he swept the room with his eyes. Hermione’s Healer told him she would come out of her coma soon, but not soon enough. They had detected some significant brain activity by who knows what means. He decided he was sure he wouldn’t tell Ron until he was sure that Hermione was in good health. There was no point in getting his hopes up if they were only going to be crushed.

The table in front of him was a mess of old magazines and Daily Prophets. He recognized his own face on the front page of one of the recent ones. He picked it up and scanned the printed words. “Rubbish,” he muttered. The article contained skewed details of the Death Eater attack at Hogwarts earlier that week. He tossed the paper back onto the table.

“Excuse me, Mr. Potter?” Harry turned to face the Healer treating Hermione. He was old and wrinkled with experience. “It’s pertaining Ms. Granger. She’s not completely awake yet, but she’s beginning to say things. Since you’re the only one here, we’ll let you come in.”

Harry followed the Healer through the corridor, passing familiar wards that he had seen before. He wondered if Lockhart was still locked up here. The thought made him internally chuckle. His mood immediately changed as the two turned the corner and entered Hermione’s room.

Harry, who was unfamiliar with magical medical instruments, stared at all the gadgets that were connected to her. The only instrument he could guess the purpose of was a bell that dinged to the pulse of her heart. Each ding was small and faint and the beats were slow and far apart. The Healer nodded and left the room.

Harry stepped slowly toward the seemingly peaceful Hermione, careful not to make a sound, as if it would prevent her from ever waking. He took hold of her hand, warm, yet lifeless. “Hermione, if you can hear me, it’s Harry. I’m sorry. It’s all my fault. I didn’t mean for you to end up like this. Please do something, say something. Give me a sign that you’re there. Everybody’s worried about you. Especially Ron.” Harry stopped talking because Hermione had stirred.

Her lips parted the slightest and quiet words came out. “But I do.” Harry’s hand felt a light twitch. “But I do.”
End Notes:
I promise I'm working on them and they will be done by the end of this summer!
Lost by Ice Cream Eater
Author's Notes:
Sorry, it's been awhile. I have stuff written, but never got around to submit it. Here is the next chapter. Others to follow hopefully.
She was lost, lost inside the depths of her own mind. There was no way out. There was nothing there. She was nothing, nothing but a bodiless soul, missing spirit, or something of that sort. She had this feeling, though, that she used to be somebody, that she used to know things, but they were all lost, all those memories.

For some time, she would contemplate questions of her former life over and over in the vacant space. There was no color, no sound, nothing. It was either blank darkness or empty whiteness; it was hard to tell the difference. She imagined how her former existence might have been, and in the emptiness there started appearing blurs of colors and indistinguishable sounds. She began to feel something stirring inside her, powerful emotions from some forgotten event. She started to believe that these changes were driven by a recovering memory, surfacing from a pool of lost thoughts. As time went on, the blurs became images and the sounds became voices; she could make out her setting.

It was dark, she could tell now. She was inside a castle-like building; which building, she did not know. There were dark cloaked figures swirling around. She had a body. She could not see her own face, but she felt thick, bushy hair cushioning her head from the floor and matted to her forehead by sweat. Her sight was fixed on a falling body belonging to a boy with red hair. Someone picked her up and her heart lurched and skipped a beat as everything disappeared once again.

That was it! It had to be a memory of her life, or rather, how she came to be what she was now. She vigorously replayed what she had just experienced, trying to remember all the minute details. She could not help but linger on the emotion she felt for the falling boy. The memory came back, this time, further back in time.

Crucio!

She felt a strange feeling throughout her whole being. Something was making her body contort and shake. It was a memory of pain and suffering, but it was a sign that she once was alive. Uncontrollable screams came out of her mouth. She was gasping for breath. Then, the pain abruptly stopped and she crumpled to the ground.

The red-haired boy ran to her side. “You’re going to be all right. I promise.” She took hold of his comforting hand, which made all her suffering melt away. A woman with dark hair and heavy eyelids pointed a stick at the boy. Colorful bits of light flew across the room from the end of her stick. She tightened her grip on his hand, not wanting to let go and once more everything vanished.

She knew things now, things about the world she existed in. There was magic that could cause pain. There were people that wanted to hurt others. But there was something else that she could not figure out. There was the boy with the red hair. He made everything better for her. He stirred an emotion in her that she did not quite understand. She pictured his bright blue eyes and the panic that grew in them, and with that another memory came back.

She was staring into his eyes again. His hand brushed her cheek and his lips touched hers. She could not breathe.

“I love you, even though you may not feel the same way. I always will,” said the boy with the red hair.

She could not speak, but in her chest she felt words bursting out. She wished she could say them. Her mind echoed, But I do, but I do, which faded as her eyes opened to the bright lights of a hospital bedroom.

A boy with black messy hair watched as she blinked in the luminescent lights. “Hermione?”

She was confused. Is that what I’m called? And how come I’ve never seen him before? “Who are you?” she asked.

He looked puzzled as well. “You don’t remember?” he said weakly. “It’s me, Harry.” After she shook her head, he rushed out of the room.

She looked around the room. Everything was so tangible, so real. She moved her fingers and touched her hair. In her memory she was not able to control her body and now, she could. It felt so new, yet familiar. The boy reentered the room followed by an old man.

“Where am I?” she questioned. The setting here was nothing like what she had experienced before.

The old man replied, “You are at St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. I am your Healer.”

“Magical?” she said, remembering the colorful lights.

“You have suffered from a tremendous amount of physical torture. You probably do not remember much of your life,” he explained.

The pain. She remembered that tiny part of her life when she struggled against what seemed like invisible ropes strangling her. But there was someone in the room that she still did not remember. “Who is that boy, there?” she asked again. He was fidgeting silently, as if having an argument with himself. “He said he was Harry.”

“That’s right. He is Harry Potter. He was - is a very good friend of yours,” He looked at the boy.

“I don’t remember him at all. But what is that there?” She pointed to a paper with a familiar shape on the front lying on a chair in the room. The Healer handed it to her.

Hermione watched the moving picture of a woman with heavy eyelids under the headline, Bellatrix Lestrange Leads Death Eater Attack on Hogwarts, Leaves Two Students in St. Mungo’s.

“This woman, I - I’ve seen her before.” She read the article. “Hermione Granger, is that me? I heard, um, Harry call me that before.”

“Yes, that is your name,” he answered calmly.

“Why can’t I remember everything? I remember that woman, Bellatrix Lestrange, but I don’t remember Harry.”

The Healer sighed. “I cannot say I know the exact reason why. This has happened before, though.” He turned to Harry and said more quietly, “I am relieved she hasn’t turned out like Frank and Alice Longbottom. You probably didn’t know that I was the Healer that treated them, also.”

Harry acknowledged that fact without saying anything. The Healer continued, “Well, we will need to run some tests to make sure she’s okay physically. I’ll call you in when we’re done.” With those words, Harry left the room, silenced by disbelief.
Truth Revealed by Ice Cream Eater
Author's Notes:
Sorry to my beloved readers. I've been having computer troubles. Hope you enjoy!
Harry stepped out of the room while Hermione’s Healer conducted her physical tests. He was still in a state of shock. Why, of all things, did this have to happen to her?

As if the state of her memory was not enough of a problem, Harry still had to break the news to Ron. He almost feared how Ron might react when Harry told him Hermione did not remember anything. His mind was swarming with possible reactions when he heard, “Harry.” He turned around, expecting to see the Healer and saw Dumbledore instead.

“Professor,” he said with surprise. Harry forgot all about his current thoughts and all sorts of other questions started popping into his head.

“You are just the person I wanted to see,” began Dumbledore. “I had a feeling I would find you here.”

Harry had forgotten during all the commotion that happened so suddenly the night of the Death Eater attack that Dumbledore, the most powerful wizard Harry knew, had somehow been controlled by an Imperius Curse. How can a wizard as great as Dumbledore be affected by the Imperius Curse?

“Will you explain how everything happened? I still don’t know how it was possible.”

“Not now, Harry. It is not the proper place. There are too many eyes that can watch and ears that can listen.”

“Then, why did you want to see me?”

“Hogwarts has been closed by the Ministry. They believe Hogwarts is no longer capable of housing hundreds of students safely. Within one year, Death Eaters have been able to get in twice. Students are packing as we speak.”

Harry understood that Hogwarts had to be closed, but he still did not want it to happen. It had been the only place where he ever felt he was home.

Dumbledore lowered his voice and said in a sharp whisper, “When it is time for you to leave, you are to go with the Weasleys to the Burrow. From there, we will have to discuss how to end this.” Dumbledore could not go into much detail, but Harry knew that the time had come finally to destroy Voldemort. They had delayed it for too long.

The intensity of their conversation was broken by an interruption from the Healer. The two of them entered Hermione’s room in pensive silence.




Ron was lying in his bed staring up at the ceiling, counting the tiles. He was trapped in this tiny cot, isolated from the outside world. What was going on out there?

He was being driven mad by the silence that often occupied the room. Sometimes he thought he could hear Hermione’s voice speaking to him. But, then again, maybe he was not going crazy. Maybe it was her.

Lost in thought, Ron nearly jumped out of his bed when Harry came into his room that night. He bombarded him with questions about Hermione’s condition.

“You better, er, sit down,” Harry nervously started.

“All right.” Ron knew that this was not going to be good. He sat on his hospital cot and Harry sat down in the chair beside it. Ron watched as his best friend’s throat move as he swallowed uneasily. Ron could not wait any longer. “Get on with it, then.”

Harry took a deep breath. “Hermione is awake. She can breathe. She can speak; well, her voice is a bit hoarse from not talking in a while. She can see. She’s eating well. She can walk, though a little wobbly.”

“So what’s making you so edgy? She seems to be in perfect condition to me.”

“I don’t know how to tell you,” Harry’s voice trailed off. Just then, Lavender Brown came bursting through the door with a clamor.

“Ron! Ron! I’m so terribly sorry!” She was close to tears.

“What did you do? Harry, what is she talking about?” Ron demanded.

Harry did not have time to open his mouth when Lavender revealed the truth, speaking very fast. “Hermione. I came here as soon as I could. Oh, I’m so sorry. I can’t believe she doesn’t remember a thing.”

Ron refused to believe himself. “What?”

“Please don’t make me say it again. I know you heard,” Lavender pleaded.

“Harry, tell me this isn’t true,” he demanded.

Harry shook his head. “I wish I could.”

Ron shut his eyes, feeling each breath pass through his empty chest. It would be like the Hermione he loved never existed, but there she would be, every day. He held back his tears. He did not want to be seen like this.

“But you told her. She knew the truth,” Harry said, trying to exclude Lavender, who was still standing in the room.

“It doesn’t matter what I did. I have always loved her. It makes no difference if I told her and she doesn’t even remember me. I still don’t know. She might as well have died because that way, I wouldn’t have to see her beautiful face and be reminded that I never knew how she felt about me,” his voice faltered.

“Don’t say that. You know you don’t really wish that,” Harry rebuked.

“Sorry to interrupt,” Lavender said uncomfortably, “but I think I have something that will help Ron. Hermione would probably want me to give this to you-,” she handed Ron a piece of wrinkled paper and hesitated before saying, “if she knew I had it. I wouldn’t have done everything I did if I knew how you really felt about her.” Ron gave her a puzzled look. “Just read it.”

Ron read the tear-stained letter to himself:

Dear Viktor,
I’ve been holding this secret for too long. I have come to a harsh realization that I am in love with Ron Weasley. It is wrong, but I cannot help myself. He will never love me. I will never be more than a friend. I try not to think about him, but my thoughts cannot be controlled. He is in my head even when I don’t think about him. I dream about him while I’m both awake and asleep. I am no longer myself. I am lost in class. I get behind on homework. I am supposed to be studying now. But I can’t stop thinking about Ron. I love his eyes, his smile, his hair. Even if there was nothing to love him for I still would “


Ron could not bear to read anymore. This was the letter that Ron had picked up the night she stopped speaking to him. This was the letter that had ironically ended their friendship. Ron noticed the scars on the letter from being ripped and then magically fixed. From what he could perceive from the letter, she probably still felt that way even after she vowed not to speak to him again. His crumpled the already wrinkled paper in his hand.

When he looked up, both Lavender and Harry were watching silently. “I have to see her.” It could not be possible that she did not remember him. He still felt an odd connection to her.

“You can’t, not right now. Just wait a few days, when you can leave your room,” Harry persisted.

“No. I’m going now,” Ron stated.

“Ron, Harry is right. You have to stay here,” Lavender suggested, but Ron began struggling to get up.

“You could at least wait until the morning. She’s probably sleeping. We don’t want to disturb her.”

Ron gave in. Although he would do anything to see her that moment, he muttered, “Fine.” He would just have to suffer through the night.
End Notes:
This baby's almost done. It's been safe inside me for... 3 years? Woah it's been awhile, but we're almost there.
Finally by Ice Cream Eater
Ron tossed around restlessly in his bed. He tried to keep his mind off of Hermione, but everything reminded him of her. The Daily Prophet lit under the moonlight lying on the nightstand was not helping. In the morning, he would escape his Healer and find a way into Hermione’s hospital room. Maybe showing her the letter would help. Just imagining what might happen then made his heart jump.

When he finally fell asleep, he dreamt of swirling images of the past. He and Hermione’s first encounter on the Hogwart’s Express faded into the summer of their fourth year. The picture of Hermione laughing with him and Harry dissolved into only the two of them in the library just that year. Suddenly Bellatrix entered the scene and in a second, Hermione was collapsed on the ground.

Ron woke with a start. It was only just after midnight.



When Harry came in the next morning, Ron was drowsy with lack of sleep.

“You don’t look so good. How’d you sleep?” Harry worried.

“Rather not think about it,” Ron replied simply. The dreams were hard enough to bear.

“Okay, you still up to it?”

Ron said, “Yeah,” just as the Healer walked in. “But how’re we going to get past her?” he whispered.

Harry quickly cast the Muffliato charm. “Don’t worry. I found this in my pocket. It’s a bit old, but,” Harry pulled out a Nosebleed Nouget, “It’ll do.”

“Thank you, Fred and George!” Ron exclaimed. The Healer looked their way, surprised that she could not hear him when she clearly saw him throw up his arm in a triumphant manner. She cleaned her ear with her index finger, confused.

“I’ll eat this, and you make a run for it.” Harry looked at his leg. “Or limp.”

Harry pulled off the wrapper and popped the magic nosebleed inducing treat into his mouth and waited. It was awhile before Ron whispered, “Why isn’t it working?”

Harry shrugged and said, “I don’t know how long it’s been in my pocket,” as Ron immediately felt a tingle in his nasal cavity. Bright red blood began flowing from his nose onto the white of his sheets.

“Oh no,” he said unconvincingly. He was not much of an actor.

The Healer hurried over to the cot and handed Harry a handkerchief. “Sit down and tilt your head back. I must change the sheets now.” She pulled off the bedspread and linens and carried them off to the laundry room. While she was leaving the room, Harry ate the other half that made the nosebleed stop. Ron watched her scurry down the hall and then turned back to Harry. “Ready?”

“If you are.” Ron took another look down the hallway, and they started for Hermione’s room.



Hermione was gazing out the window of her hospital room and could not help but bring the image of that blue-eyed, red-haired boy into her thoughts. Although his paralyzing kiss and warming touch was all her selective memory had of him, she knew somehow that he was all she needed to complete her life. She tried to picture him in other memories, but nothing came to mind. She started to believe that he might not even exist when her contemplation was interrupted by a knock on the door.

“It seems that you have some visitors,” the Healer said.

Hermione sat up straight in her cot. She leaned curiously to see who was outside the glass window on the door. The transparent square cut out was only small enough to see Harry, but she knew there had to be someone behind him.

Harry opened the door and entered the room. “G’morning, Hermione.” His companion hesitated before stepping into the room.

“Hello, Harry. Who’ve you brought “” Hermione abruptly stopped when she spotted the red hair. She lost her ability to speak.

“You probably don’t know who I am.” His eyes cast downward.

Hermione shook her head but recalled her only memories. But I do know you.

He glided closer to her involuntarily as if they were opposite magnets. He raised his hand to stroke the side on her face but stopped himself before contact. Making her uncomfortable was the last thing he would ever want to do. He left his hand there, frozen in mid-action.

“I can’t remember who you are, but I remember this,” Hermione whispered just loud enough for him to hear. She lifted her hand to his and pressed their palms together. Then, she delicately closed her slender fingers around his thicker ones, looked into his stunned face, and smiled. He mirrored her action.

“I remember your hair and your eyes.” Hermione gazed into his clear blue eyes and it brought her back to her memory once more. “And this.” Acting on impulse, she closed her eyes and let her lips find his. He was surprised, and his body stiffened but soon relaxed. Her fingers, still entwined around his, tightened. She was flying and felt the bed to make sure that it was real. Her vision, though her eyes were closed, was crystal clear as seventeen years worth of memories inundated her mind. It was too much for her body to handle and it collapsed inward as she fell again into darkness.




“Hermione, Hermione. No, please don’t,” she heard Ron call her name. “Someone get her some water, anything!” She felt his hand tightly around hers.

Her eyelids fluttered open to see his panicking face. “Ron, I’m fine,” she said calmly. She felt like she had had too much sleep.

His eyes widened as the words came out of her mouth. “You remember? It’s really you?” She nodded with a confused expression. “You’re back, you’re back, you’re back!” he repeated.

“Remember? What happened? I didn’t go anywhere...” Hermione looked around the room. It was not the dark Hogwarts corridor; it was a St. Mungo’s hospital room. Now she remembered: that night in school, the kiss, the arrival of the Death Eaters, the writhing pain of the Cruciatus Curse, and Ron. She had pushed him away, even ignored his existence, yet still he armed himself against one of the maddest witches for her, risking his own life. She knew that she would not be here without him, and if he was not here now, her life would have no meaning. She knew that now. There was no-where to run anymore.

Ron looked very nervous. He pulled out a crinkled piece of paper from his pocket. “What’s that?” she asked, and grabbed it from his hand. It was the letter that she wrote to Viktor, all patched up. She had really hurt him. Eyes brimming with tears, she threw her arms around him. “I’m sorry,” she choked. “I didn’t know-” Ron held her face in his hands and wiped away her tears. Her tears ceased. They were suspended in time. She could have spent forever just gazing into his face. Hermione took one deep breath in. They gravitated towards each other, and their lips met in a kiss that seemed to last for eternity.
Resolution by Ice Cream Eater
Author's Notes:
Finally, the last chapter. It's been a long while but here it is.
I'd like to thank my beta, Karin for sticking with me the whole time. You've been a tremendous help.
I'd also like to thank all my readers. You guys made it worth while to write because I knew someone would be reading it.
And now the chapter you've all been waiting for.
Harry, Ron, and Hermione had only arrived at the Burrow a few days ago. Now serving as the Order of the Phoenix headquarters, members of the Order filtered in and out all day. Harry was anxiously preparing a salad with Ginny while waiting for the arrival of Dumbledore. Angry and worried, he nearly mistook a finger for a carrot. Where are you, Dumbledore? This has to be finished before anything happens. Why are you taking so long to show up? But what if you…

The cracking noise of an Apparation startled Harry as he jumped up from the kitchen stool, but there was no need to get up to find out who it was. He could here Mrs. Weasley’s amicable greeting from down the hall.

“Mundungus, what on Earth are you doing with those things? Get them out of my house!”

Harry went back to his carrots, accenting his knife against the cutting board in frustration.
Ginny spotted his exasperation and offered a reassuring word. “Don’t worry, Harry. Dumbledore doesn’t visit very often. You know he has his own things to do first. He’ll stop by soon. Everything will work out.”

“But what if something happened to him? What if he’s still being controlled by the Imperious Curse? What if…” Harry could not bring himself to finish the sentence.

“Dumbledore is the most powerful wizard alive at the moment,” Ginny rebutted; however, her statement was continually growing falser.

“Then explain to me how he ever got under the curse in the first place? Face it. Dumbledore no longer holds the most power.” At this point Harry was getting very aggressive. “There are only two people that can end the war-”

“Harry, stop,” Ginny called weakly. Tears spilled from her eyes onto the cutting board. “Please.”

Growing up with her six brothers, Ginny was a tough girl. Harry had never seen her break down openly. He did not mean to make her cry. “I’m sorry. I really am.”

She stifled a sob. “I know. It’s just…” her tears came back. Harry stood up and wrapped his arms around her. Her hair smelt like roses. “I’ve always thought these things, but when I hear them out loud they seem much more real. I may look strong, but inside I’m already shattered. I can’t stand the thought of losing you to this war.” Ginny’s eyes flooded with tears again.

“I don’t want to lose you either,” Harry kissed her on the forehead. “There’s no way to know what will happen. It may end in the worst way imaginable, but it also may not end as bad as you think it will.” Harry tried to sound as optimistic as possible.

Ginny pulled him closer and kissed him. She sighed, her sweet breath surrounding Harry.




That evening, grey clouds rolled in and covered the quarter moon that dimly lit the sky. A steady rain was falling, and by dinnertime, it was starting to pour. Ron, Harry, and Hermione were cleaning up after dinner when there was a knock on the door. Harry’s long apprehensive wait ended when he saw a wet Dumbledore walk through the door. He was soaked from walking from the neighboring hill where he Apparated. His silver hair clung to his face and his beard was dripping.

“Oh, Albus, you are drenched,” Mrs. Weasley said, when she saw him to the living room. “Please, have a seat by the fire. Would you like a cup of tea? Ronald, bring Professor some tea.”

Back in the kitchen, Ron poured a cup of tea for Dumbledore. “I’ll bring it to him,” Harry insisted. He grabbed the tea before Ron could say a word and brought it into the sitting room where Dumbledore was drying by the fireplace. The fire casted a familiar silhouette on his aged figure.

“Professor Dumbledore, I’ve brought you your tea.” As Harry came into the light of the fire, he could make out his wizened features. He always knew that Dumbledore was old, but for the first time he noticed his age. For the first time Dumbledore looked different than the first time he saw him in first year.

“Thank you, Harry, my boy.” His right arm reached out to the tea, and Harry saw how the curse had spread up his arm and crept onto the right side of his face.

“Professor, your arm…” Harry dared not to continue.

“The curse is spreading - ,” Harry opened his mouth in protest. “However, we have other matters to discuss.” Dumbledore’s blue eyes no longer gleamed with odd humor, but with resignation. He was weakening as Harry suspected, and his magic was dying with him.

How long does he have? Harry thought. The rapid weakening began after departing the cave in which they found a worthless locket.

“It is not a matter of my life but of yours.” Dumbledore seemed to have read his mind. “Yours alone has the power to stop Voldemort.”And Harry, who had wanted this meeting to arrive so hastily, now dreaded it.




Harry watched Dumbledore depart the Burrow under the thunderous clouds from the front window, furious that he did not tell him from the start. After all these years, he chose now to reveal that Voldemort’s unstable soul had latched a part of itself onto Harry’s the night that his parents had died for him. His fate had been sealed the moment Voldemort marked him as his match. “Neither can live while the other survives.” With a piece of Voldemort hidden inside Harry, there was only one way to make sure of that, and somehow, Harry already knew that it would have to end this way. But could it really be that simple, dying?

Harry approached Ron’s room, where he and Hermione were sitting on Ron’s bed, quietly whispering and exchanging loving glances while Ron gently stroked Hermione’s palms. He stood just outside the door unnoticed for a bit, watching the two, glad that they were able to be together at least a little before the end. Ginny, more beautiful and sad than he had ever seen her, was sitting on the floor scratching a purring Crookshanks behind his ears. He only wished that he could change unalterable destiny. Maybe after he had died he would be able to watch her from wherever he was.

Harry felt guilty of disturbing such tranquility, but continued into the room. When Ginny saw that he had returned, she picked up Crookshanks and stood up. Neither said anything at first, but the silence was understood.

With dismal eyes, Harry said the first words. “He thinks Voldemort is going to initiate a battle, most likely at Hogwarts. Dumbledore’s told me what I have to do when the time comes, how to finish it.”

“Surely, you won’t have to do it by yourself,” Hermione spoke out.

“Yeah, we want to help you, Harry,” Ron offered.

They did not know the worst. Harry shook his head. “The most you can do is fight alongside the rest of the Order. I’m the only one that can stop him now.”

“Won’t you tell us what you have to do?” Ginny asked.

Once again Harry shook his head. This was the one thing he had to do alone.
End Notes:
Well, this is it. I have mixed feelings for the last chapter. I know I could take the story to another level, but I just don't have the time for it anymore. I'm not the 13 year old I was when I started and have other commitments now. I just have to let this story go and hope someone will like it.
Hope all my readers have enjoyed the journey as much as I did.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=41389