Everywhere by harry_potter_star
Summary:

Lily Evans has never particularily liked James Potter, but when she decides to look at him in a different light, she may change her mind... One shot song-fic, based on the song Everywhere by Michelle Branch.


Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2059 Read: 2294 Published: 01/09/06 Updated: 01/23/06

1. Everywhere by harry_potter_star

Everywhere by harry_potter_star
Everywhere


disclaimer – I don’t own anything Harry Potter, and the song isn’t mine either, that’s Michelle Branch’s.




Turn it inside out so I can see,
The part of you that's drifting over me.
And when I wake you're never there.
But when I sleep you're everywhere,
You're everywhere.



“Prongs, are you paying any attention?” Sirius demanded.


James’s head snapped up. “Oh, sorry Padfoot. What fascinating remark did I miss hearing this time?”


“I was just asking what you think you’re going to be if you don’t get the right amount of N.E.W.Ts. I mean, is there even anything half as exciting as an Auror?” Sirius complained.


Sirius, James, Peter and Remus, a group of friends who called themselves “the Marauders” were gathered in the Gryffindor boys Dormitory, discussing the topic that grew more common as the seventh year went on.


James nodded distantly, deep in thought.


“Prongs, please don’t tell me you’re thinking about that Evans girl!” Sirius cried out in exasperation. “You have got to get a life! We used to be friends with her, but we aren’t anymore, especially you!”


James was brought back down to Earth suddenly. “Shut up Padfoot!” he snapped furiously.


Sirius looked proud of himself, though a little guilty. “Come on Prongs, I didn’t mean it, I just wanted to get your attention,” he explained, eyeing James nervously. James almost never yelled at him; they were as close as brothers were, if not closer.


James nodded, though he still didn’t look pleased. “Why won’t she just give me a chance?” he asked, referring to Lily, the girl he had loved since he was eleven years old. “She’s been rejecting me all year!”


Remus sat down next to his friend, looking skeptical. “Well, have you given her a reason to give you a chance?”


James was startled by the unexpected question. “Um, well, I haven’t given her a reason not to give me a chance,” he compromised.


“Just try it, let her know how you feel, and not in your usual tactics,” Remus added hastily.


James grinned. ‘Well, I personally don’t see the matter with asking her out occasionally,” he protested.


“Occasionally? I wouldn’t call every time you see her occasionally Prongs!” Sirius laughed.


James shrugged. “Well, that’s not actually that much, considering I never see her anymore; I think she’s been purposely avoiding me. The only time I ever see her now is in my head.”


“So every spare second of the bloody day then?” Sirius remarked.


James almost argued against his friend’s accusation, but then he realized that it was true.



Just tell me how I got this far,
Just tell me why you're here and who you are.
'Cause every time I look,
you're never there.
And every time I sleep,
you're always there.



“He is so incredibly annoying Kayla!” Lily exclaimed, letting herself fall backwards onto her unmade bed in frustration.


Kayla shook her head, causing her short blond curls bob up and down. “He means well Lily, you should try and get to know him, it would probably make your life a lot easier!” she reasoned.


“I do know him though Kay, I know that he decides to get a girl and dumps her as soon as he’s bored. You’ve seen it happen, it happened to Grace, and Barbara, and-”


“But that was all a long time ago Lily, don’t you think there’s a chance that he’s changed?” Kayla questioned her determinedly.


“Well…” Lily started, but Kayla cut her off, her eyes blazing, the way they always did when she was trying to prove a point.


“Lily, isn’t it you who always says to give people a chance?” she said, folding her arms.


Lily was lost for words.



'Cause you're everywhere to me,
And when I close my eyes it's you I see.
You're everything I know,
that makes me believe.
I'm not alone,
I'm not alone.



“Why don’t I just give up on her?” James questioned his friends.


“Look, it isn’t up to us to answer that question James,” Sirius informed him, staring hard at James.


James realized that Sirius meant he needed to figure that out for himself. But why did he refuse to give up on Lily?


Because I hope that one day, she will see a side of me she never saw before. One day she will say yes, and she’ll make me happier than I ever thought possible.


She’s someone that I can rely on, she’s steady and consistent. I can always count on her to stick with what she believes in, and I know she would never do anything to purposely hurt me.


Even when she doesn’t talk to me, I can feel her, right there near me, and she gives me a reason to…


Always keep trying.



James looked up at Sirius in amazement. “Thanks,” he muttered incredulously.


Sirius smiled. “That’s exactly what Moony said to me when I asked the same question about Kayla. It helped a lot.”


Remus grinned.



I recognize the way you make me feel.
It's hard to think that
you might not be real.
I sense it now, the water's getting deep.
I try to wash the pain away from me,
Away from me.



“Is there something you aren’t saying?” Kayla asked, in a much softer voice.


Lily took a deep breath. “The thing is, I like him. A lot. I just don’t know if I can trust him, I don’t want to be hurt again,” she admitted, angrily brushing a stand of hair out of her eyes.


Kayla looked furious. “Oh, I am going to kill Bryce Lordson for doing this to you!” she screamed. “Lily, he is a piece of-”


“I know, Kayla. I just don’t know if I can trust James not to do the same.”


“Lily, James is a much different person. He would never cheat on you, or put any pressure on you. He’s probably the nicest guy that I know, apart from Remus.”


“He does seem a lot nicer lately, only I can’t help but wonder if it’s all an act,” Lily exclaimed, frustrated and confused.


Kayla nodded. “Only you can be the judge of that Lily, just follow your instincts.”



'Cause you're everywhere to me,
And when I close my eyes it's you I see.
You're everything I know
that makes me believe,
I'm not alone.
I'm not alone.

I am not alone.



“Prongs, it’s almost time for your patrols,” Peter noted, glancing at his watch.


James sighed, stood up, and began to rummage through the drawers for his cloak.


I wonder if I should take Moony’s advice and show her how much I really like her,” he wondered thoughtfully.


He ran out the room when he finally found his cloak, doing it up as he went. He met Lily, who was standing impatiently waiting for him.


“Hey, Evans,” he panted breathlessly. She giggled nervously.


“Hi, why are you so puffed out?” she asked.


'”I ran all the way here,” James explained casually.


Lily laughed. “What, just to meet me?” she teased, her hand over her heart in mock modesty.


“Who else?” James replied coyly.


She gave him a playful shove, totally surprising him; usually he would receive a sharp remark from that kind of comment.


James caught his balance again, only to catch Lily staring at him. A wave of nervousness ran through his body, and his hand unconsciously moved to run through his jet-black hair.


Lily smiled and grabbed his hand. “You really don’t need to do that, it looked fine before!” she chided.


James gave her a strange look, and Lily bit her lip, realizing that she had never before made purpose skin contact with James.



And when I touch your hand,
It's then I understand,
The beauty that's within.
It's now that we begin.
You always light my way,
I hope there never comes a day.
No matter where I go,
I always feel you so.


“Should we go then?” James asked Lily, and she realized that they had been standing there for quite a while.


“Oh, um, yes,” Lily stammered.


The two of them walked on, glancing at each other nervously, unsure of how to start a conversation.


“How is, um, Quidditch going?” Lily ventured, at the exact same time that James asked how her parents were doing.


“Good,” they both answered simultaneously, and then they started to laugh.


“This really is ridiculous,” Lily giggled. “We sound as though we’ve just met or something!”


“Well, we’re talking more now than we have before,” James pointed out.


“You mean I am,” Lily corrected him. “You usually try a lot more than this.”


James shrugged. “I didn’t want to push tonight. I think you have the right to talk if you want to.”


Lily laughed. “Well, the funny thing is, tonight I decided I wasn’t going to be so stubborn!”


James laughed with her and shook his head.



'Cause you're everywhere to me,
And when I close my eyes it's you I see.
You're everything I know,
that makes me believe
I'm not alone.




Just do it! the voice inside his head screamed. But he couldn’t bring himself to risk losing the sudden bond he had created with Lily.


It’s fate, you always knew a day like this would come! It’s what you’ve been waiting for ever since the day you met her; a day where she likes you, and you are alone together, are you just going to let the moment pass?


Yes
, thought James, but he knew he had to ask her now.


“Lily, you may be a bit stubborn,” he admitted cautiously. “But you’re also the most amazing girl I’ve ever met! It’s like, nothing you do can be wrong, like you aren’t human, you can’t be.


‘The only time you’ve ever blown up at me was that time you lost it in fifth year, and I have to give you credit for that. I haven’t left you alone once since the day I met you.”


Lily smiled. “Well, to tell the truth, you can be just as stubborn as me,” she remarked.


“And I had a good reason for that, you’re the only one in the world that I feel this way about, and I am sure there won’t be another.”


Lily’s eyes grew round at the sincerity of James face. His hazel eyes were serious and bottomless, and beautiful gold flecks were highlighted when the light from the torch behind Lily hit them, causing his eyes to shine.


“Look, Lily, this is going to be the last time ever in this life that I’m going to ask you this,” James swore earnestly. “But Lily, as you can probably guess, I like you a lot, and I’d love it if you went out with me.”



'Cause you're everywhere to me,
And when I catch my breath,
it's you I breathe.
You're everything I know
that makes me believe,
I'm not alone.


At first, Lily wasn’t sure what to say; James’s speech had caught her completely off guard.


Lily studied his face, and saw what she had missed before. The loving sincerity of James Potter shone out from underneath his skin, and suddenly, she knew what her answer was.


“I’d love it too,” she murmured, and without speaking, the two of them leaned in to share a perfect kiss that was longer and sweeter than any they had ever experienced.



You're in everyone I see,
So tell me,
Do you see me?



Ok, time to tell me what you thought of it! Reviews are much appreciated!!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=41453