Darkest Year Yet by School owl
Summary: It's Harry's 6th year. He's pretty upset about his godfather's death. Everything is dark and there is no hope... until an American transfer student comes along. A/N- There will be no sequel. If you wish to find out why, check the A/N on the last chapter.
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 23949 Read: 41971 Published: 11/28/04 Updated: 01/16/05

1. Alone by School owl

2. Meeting of four good old friends by School owl

3. Nightmares, friends, Owl’s and Birthdays by School owl

4. Back to Hogwarts by School owl

5. End of summer , start of surprises by School owl

6. Start of term by School owl

7. Twists and turns by School owl

8. Life and Death by School owl

9. Promises by School owl

10. Halloween by School owl

11. A death and a final battle by School owl

12. A time for answers by School owl

Alone by School owl
Chapter 1-
Alone
Tick- tock. Tick- tock. Harry Potter laid on his bed all alone listening to the steady rhythm of his clock. It read 1:36 A.M. The Dursleys were asleep and Hedwig was on her perch with her yellow round eyes closed and her head cocked to one side. There was an empty space inside of him that he could not fill.

"Sirius," He moaned, "why did you have to leave me?"

A tear fell from his emerald eyes and slithered down his cheek.

A snore came from his uncle's room. He knew he should sleep, but he couldn't. He couldn't sleep knowing that he was alone, all alone in a mean cruel word. Where people died for love and for hate. “I can’t sit here and wait for the morning. I have to do something. ” Harry muttered.

His hand searched for his wand. “Lumos.” He whispered.

Harry reached for his wand. “That’s better. Nox.”

His hand was reaching for his glasses and he shoved them on. He then opened his trunk. It moaned as it was forced open. Harry pulled out an old leather album. He opened it and saw the faces of his happy parents looking at him and waving. He turned the page and saw his friends. He wished that he could be at Hogwarts right now, instead of being alone. He remember all the things that the trio had done. Somethings had good and other had been bad, very bad. Harry envisioned Ron and how funny his jokes were and Hermione saying something complex or fussing over homework. He turned the page once more and saw his parent’s wedding- with the best man- Sirius Black. Harry thought of his godfather and smiled. His eyes drooped and closed. And he thought no more.

He awoke with Petunia's screeching voice "Harry Potter! Wake up! NOW!"

He heard Vernon’s voice mutter something and then Petunia said, "That is if you are ready... dear."

Harry got up and got dressed. He wondered what was up with his Aunt and Uncle. He soon came down the stairs. "Harry, why don't you fix yourself a good, hearty breakfast?"

"Okay." Harry said raising his eyebrows.

Then, he remembered that today was the day he would send a letter to Order. "Harry, have we been nice to you?" Vernon asked.

"Well, yeah." Harry said thinking of the past days.

"Good. Now send those freakss... I mean people- a letter saying that you are fine and they don't need to come." Vernon said.

Harry nodded and went into his room. He felt that something was missing, but he couldn't place his finger on it. "Dudley a.k.a Big D." He muttered.

Oh, who cares where Dudley is. He's probably at the candy store getting fatter. If it's possible, Harry thought. He picked up his quill and dipped it in ink.

Dear everyone,

I am fine. The Dursleys are leaving me alone. I kind of like it. They don't say anything mean because they think you'll come and turn them into toads. Like I said, I'm fine. I hope you guys are too.

Harry

P.S- Tell Ron and Hermione hi for me. Ron- Hope you are well. Hermione- I did my homework, don’t worry. See you guys soon I hope.

That ought to do, He thought. Then again maybe I should put that I don't like being here no matter what the Dursleys do. Because I'll be all alone.

Harry sat in his chair looking at his aunt’s prize garden seeing as there wasn’t anything to do when he saw a snowy white owl soar towards him. “Hedwig!” He exclaimed.

He hurriedly opened his window to let the bird in. The bird had a letter attached to its skinny scaly leg. It read-


Dear Harry,

It’s great that you are all right. I am fine and so is everyone else. As you know the order is working hard. We were wondering if you would like to stay with us until the term begins. Ron and Hermione will be at number 12 too. If you would like to stay, then we will do it before your birthday. Send Hedwig back as soon as possible.

Remus

P.S- Also Molly, Arthur, Ron, Fred, George, Hermione, Professor Snape, Professor Dumbledore and all the others say hello. Maybe not Professor Snape, but I am sure he would if he wasn’t the slimy git he is. Don’t tell him I said that though.


Harry was shocked to see the letter, but was very happy. He even chuckled at the part about Snape. He was leaving Privet Drive. He felt like dancing and singing. But he didn’t, instead he rushed to find his quill and inkbottle. He pulled out a spare piece of parchment, dipped his fine white quill into the black ink and wrote-

Dear Professor Lupin,

I would very much like to stay with the Order. I don’t like it here one bit. As you said I am sending Hedwig right now. May she fly fast and hard. I

BANG! It sounded as if someone used floo powder incorrectly. Harry dropped his quill and flung open his door and made his way down stairs. His aunt and uncle stood around the fireplace along with a tall familiar person wiping off some dust and filth that he got from traveling by floo powder. “Professor Lupin!” Harry exclaimed.

“Hello Harry.” Lupin said, “You need not call me ‘professor’ if you wish seeing that you are not in school and I am not the teacher.”

“Of course ‘Professor’.” Harry said with a grin.

“HARRY POTTER! HOW DARE YOU! DON'T EVER, EVER HAVE THESE… THESE MONSTERS POP UP AGAIN!!” Uncle Vernon bellowed. “ARE WE NOT NICE ENOUGH TO YOU?”

“Sir, if it be any help, Harry did not ask for me to come. I came myself. I wondered if you would like Harry off your hands a little early.” Remus said calmly.

The Dursleys were thinking about it. Maybe I won’t be alone, Harry thought.




A/N- This is my first story. Do you like it? Please review and you might find the next chapter!! I think that maybe about 2 or 3 reviews would be a good start.
Meeting of four good old friends by School owl
Chapter 2
Meeting of four good old friends

Boy, Harry thought, Professor Lupin knows how to play them. “Vernon. Let the boy go. We want him off our hands. This is a blessing. If they want him they can have him.” Aunt Petunia said.

“Of course. Harry you may go, now. Scram.” Vernon said.

“Professor, would you mind helping me pack my trunk?” Harry asked.

“No, not at all,” Professor Lupin said.

Harry led the way to his room. “How did you know my answer? I was writing the letter just now.” Harry said.

“Harry, it was simple. You can’t possibly be happy here.” Professor Lupin said.

Harry laughed. “Yeah. I am never really happy here.”

“Harry.” A voice at the door squeaked, “Harry, will they come back?”

Harry jumped at the voice, it belonged to Dudley. Harry had a shred idea of what he was talking about. “Do you mean what happened last year?” Harry said.

Dudley nodded. “No. They won’t come back.” Harry said. Dudley turned to leave. “Wait! Where have you been and where are you going?”

“Do you have to know?” Without waiting for an answer he continued “I have been at… at Mrs. Figg’s… for tea.”

Harry raised his eyebrows. “Okay, okay. I have been with my friends all three days. I told mum and dad I was going for tea with different people. But don’t tell mum and dad.” Dudley confessed.

Harry rolled his eyes. “Get out Dudley.”

Dudley did and Harry shut the door after him. “I have been cursed.” Harry said, “With this family. Oh why didn’t Voldemort kill me to make me not suffer the pain I suffer with this lot?”

Lupin smiled but did not laugh. Instead he said, “You shouldn’t joke about that.”

“I know but it’s the bitter truth.” Harry said.

“Harry, how have you been? You look a bit pale.” Lupin said.

“Like I said, I’m fine. How have you been? Is everyone okay?” Harry asked.

“We are all fine. In fact we’re great. Come on you’ll see. Let’s start packing.” Lupin said.

One hour and 3 missing socks, a stack of books and many missing underwear (don’t ask) later they were on their way. “Professor, how are we going to get to the headquarters?” Harry asked.

“Portkey of course.” Lupin said as he pulled out a tin can. “One, two, three!”

The sensation of being jerked was soon awakened inside of Harry. He felt sick remembering all the times he had been traveling on a Portkey, it was usually after someone died. Like Cedric or Sirius. They arrived at their destination. Molly Wesley came out and hugged Harry. “It’s good to see you dear.” She said.

She stood back to examine him “You look a bit peaky dear. Nothing a good dinner can’t fix.” She then yelled “Ron! Hermione! Ha…”But she didn’t get to finish her sentence because they were at the foot of the stairs.

“Harry, mate! It’s so good to see you!” Ron said.

Hermione had a loss of words as she ran to her old friend and hugged him. “It has been forever since we last met!” She said.

“Goodness Hermione! It’s only been four weeks.” Harry said.

“Whatever!” She said.

Sly as a fox she pulled a pillow from the couch next to them and threw it at Harry. Soon Ron joined in. Harry couldn’t remember Ginny coming in. Soon the living room was a jumble of laughing teenage bodies. Molly was about to stop it but Remus Lupin pulled her back “It’s been awhile since they have seen each other and it’s been forever since I have seen Harry laugh.” He said.

Molly nodded. Soon Molly retreated to the kitchen to fix dinner for the lively crew. Remus went upstairs to tend to some business that he forgot. “Ginny!” Harry exclaimed. “How long have you been here?”

“I dunno, awhile. Why? Are you so thick you didn’t see me?” She laughed as he threw another pillow at her.

They were exhausted when Molly announced that dinner was ready. The four friends sat together talking and exchanging gossip and giggling. They hardly noticed when Albus Dumbledore walked in. Hermione nudged Ron and Harry. Harry nudged Ginny. They were all quite. “Sorry, I’m a bit late. I had something to tend to.” Dumbledore said.

“That’s all right Albus. Here have some of my beef stew.” Molly said.

Arthur appeared shortly after that. “Sorry, I’m late.” He didn’t bother to explain why he was late.

“That’s okay. Just help yourself to some food.” Molly said.

The dinner seemed to last forever when finally Molly stood up and said “Bed - all of you. Goodnight all.”

“Wait.” Dumbledore said, “I have to give them their school lists.”

He handed each one out personally and gave Harry’s last. “Harry. The Order knows about the prophecy. Don’t you think that it would be fair that your best friends know and hear it from you?” Dumbledore asked his eyes twinkling.

“Yes Professor. May I speak to them tonight?” Harry asked.

“Whenever you are ready,” Dumbledore said.

Harry nodded and took a deep breath. The kids ran up the stairs and Harry said, “Wait. You guys. I need to tell you something.”

They followed him into his and Ron’s room. “Harry is something wrong?” Hermione asked with concern.

“Yes and no.” He said. The he recited the prophecy that had been rattling his brain for so long. “So in the end, I will be a victim or a murder. Neither looks too good.”

A long silence followed after what Harry said. “We’re here for you no matter what happens, Harry.” Ginny said.

“Oh course we are mate. If you need to talk with us we’re here. Also if you have anything else that you might want to talk about…” Ron said.

Harry knew that he meant if he wanted to talk about Sirius. “Well Harry, what a fine web we’ve woven.” Hermione said.

They all said goodnight and parted into their bedrooms. And that was the meeting of four good old friends.

A/N- Each chapter gets better. Keep reading and reviewing. For the next chapter to be put out can I have at least five reviews?
Nightmares, friends, Owl’s and Birthdays by School owl
Chapter 3
Nightmares, friends, Owl’s and Birthdays

A dark cloaked figure walked up to the chair where Harry was sitting. Harry recognized it as Malfoy’s father. “My lord,” He said, “Thank You for releasing me form Azkaban. I bring you news from the school.”

“Well?” Harry said in his high cold voice.

“Snape is not loyal to us my lord. He is a spy for Dumbledore.” Lucius reported.

“And, you know this how?” Harry asked.

“I know because I have seen that Snape is always around that Muggle loving fool.” Lucius said.

“So you have no proof? Then you have failed me Lucius. Crucio!” Harry laughed as Lucius screamed.

“Do not fail me on this next task. I want you to get me Harry Potter. As for Snape, kill him. Or if you rather not kill Snape, you can let me.” Harry said.

“Yes, my lord. You may have to wait for Harry Potter. I do not know where to get him.” Malfoy said.

“He is at Privet Drive for the summer. Do not kill him though. Please let me.” Harry said.

“Of course my lord. Farewell.” Malfoy said.

Harry awoke with a sharp pain on his scar. He felt sick. He found that he was no longer in bed, but on the floor. Harry felt gentle arms touch him. “Harry are you alright?” Dumbledore asked.

Harry saw Lupin, Molly and his friends around him. Harry shook his head no and spoke “Where is Snape?”

“On duty for the Order. Why?” Dumbledore asked his blue eyes searching Harry’s face.

“This duty doesn’t have to do with the death eaters do it?”

“Yes Harry, it does why?”

“Lucius is going to kill him or even Voldemort! After he does that he will go to Privet Drive and get me or so he thinks. Professor we need to get Snape! They know he is a spy!” Harry said.

Dumbledore looked scared for the second time ever. “Harry, we can’t get him. Can you tell me everything?”

Harry sprung up, “You can’t get him. Why? He’ll die!”

“Harry, the death eaters are in a place of which we can’t go. Please tell me everything.” Dumbledore said.

Harry told Dumbledore everything. When he got done Dumbledore said, “Harry. I am not sure what to do about Professor Snape, as a matter of fact there is nothing we can do. May I please speak to Harry alone?”

The others nodded and left. Dumbledore spoke again, “Harry, I think that we will need to inform your family.”

Harry nodded. Then he spoke, “Professor. I… I don’t want anyone else to suffer. Even if they aren’t my friend. No one should die that way. Can’t we do something?”

Dumbledore looked at Harry with respect for caring for someone who didn’t care about him. “Wait. Yes, we can. Harry go see Molly and she will give you something to help you sleep. Tell her I have gone to see what I can to for Professor Snape. Good-bye Harry.”

“Good-bye Professor.” Harry said.

Dumbledore left with a POOF! Harry got up to find Mrs. Weasley. “Mrs. Weasley?” Harry called walking down an empty hall when suddenly his scar bust open. He dropped to his knees.

“Harry!” Lupin said.

Lupin was by Harry’s side. Lupin’s soft hands wrapped around him. “Harry? Harry are you okay?”

Harry just put his hand on his scar. “Molly! Come here quickly.” Lupin yelled.

He began muttering comforting things to Harry. Molly ran out of her room wearing an old worn out night gown. “Remus! What’s wrong with Harry?”

“He called your name and then clutched his scar and fell to his knees. I’m not sure what is wrong. Could you please get a glass of water for Harry?” Lupin said.

“Absolutely.” Molly said.

Within minutes Molly was back with a glass of water. Lupin tipped it in Harry’s throat. “Harry,” He said, “What’s wrong?”

“Voldemort is torturing Snape. Or at least I think so… it could be something… else.” Harry said.

Molly hugged Harry. “Harry, where is Dumbledore?”

Harry said what Dumbledore told him to do. “Oh yes Harry. I have a sleep potion for you. Harry would you and your friends like to stay up for another half hour?” Molly asked.

“Yes, please. Thank you both of you. I just… I’ve never had a family. You guys make me feel… better about… things.” Harry said.

“You’re welcome Harry. Goodnight.” Lupin said.

“Goodnight Harry.” Molly said hugging him one last time.

When Harry went back inside his room where Ron, Hermione and Ginny were waiting for him. Ron was sitting on his bed while Hermione and Ginny stood by the door. “Harry, are you alright?” Hermione asked.

“Um… I guess. As you may have heard it doesn’t look to good for Snape.” Harry said.

“Well, severs him right the slimy git. Being mean to us ever since first year.” Ron said.

Hermione was about to say something, but Ginny got to Ron first, “Ronald! How dare you say something like that! No one, I repeat no one should die at Voldemort’s hands or at the death eaters hands. It is just not right. So, don’t you ever say that again!”

“Like mother like daughter.” Ron said.

Harry gave a weak chuckle. Hermione looked stern and spoke, “You two,” She said addressing Harry and Ron, “should not laugh. Or joke about it either.”

Harry looked up at her and said, “Hermione, this is going to be a very serious year. This may be the only time we have to joke or laugh. Not trying to sound like Trelawney, but many will suffer this year. We will be some of the most endangered people in the world, Muggle and wizarding. I really like you guys so much, but I sort of feel like maybe it would be better if we never met. That way you guys won’t be in danger.”

“But Harry, we have defended ourselves before. We are not little kids anymore.” Ginny said.

Harry took a deep breath. He learned to control his anger. They just didn’t know. “You guys, last year was a fluke. I didn’t mean for everyone to come along. Last year you guys only faced the death eaters. They are not as bad as Voldemort. Listen, I am going to explain what it’s like to face Voldemort. First, you don’t know what’s going to happen. You don’t know what horrible spell he’ll throw at you. You don’t know how to defend yourself. Then you feel your blood freeze and your hair stand on end. You get goose bumps. You have no clue if you’ll live this time or die. That’s only when you’re fighting with him. When someone dies the green light is so blinding even when you close your eyes you can see it. You hear his high, blood curling voice say the harsh incantation. It is an absolute terrifying experience. Even when you’re in the same room and everything is warm, it goes ice cold. Even colder then when a Dementor is near.” Harry stopped and shivered, “Anyway. I thought you should know. I really hope you never find out what I described. Please this year, since Voldemort has gain unbelievable power, be careful and be on guard at all times.”

“Harry we swear we’ll be very careful.” Ron said.

“I hope you don’t swear. If your mother ever found out…” Harry said.

“Yeah Harry, trust me. We’ve been around you long enough to know that around every corner, there’s a way to get killed.” Hermione said.

“I am sure that we will be fine, I’m just worried about you.” Ginny said.

They began talking about the school year when Molly Weasley appeared at the doorway. “Ginny, Hermione off to your own room. ‘Night all.” She said.

Harry and Ron slid into bed and blew out the candles. “‘Night mate.” Ron said.

“‘Night.” Came a reply from Harry.

Before falling asleep he looked at his clock and it read 11:59. He then remembered that in one minute, he would be 16 and with that thought he fell asleep.

Raised voices came from the hall and Harry looked at his clock, it read 1:24. “I am concerned Remus nothing more, nothing less. Look. Harry’s been through a lot. His whole world has changed. I heard him telling the kids what it’s like to face You-know-who. It made me scared.” Molly’s voice said.

“Molly, I assure you that Hogwarts would be much safer than this house. I know we put a charm on it, but look what happened to the Potters! They had the charm on their house too. Voldemort always wins! Hogwarts would be the safest place for Harry and the kids.” Dumbledore said.

Dumbledore’s words had a great total on Harry. If Voldemort always wins, then what could he, Harry James Potter do? Harry would soon find out what one little person could do, could change the course of the future forever.

“All in favor of moving the kids to Hogwarts for the rest of the summer say I.” Dumbledore said.

“I!” Came a loud response. Harry realized that they were having a meeting.

Harry fell back asleep and dreamed. He dreamed that he was caught in Voldemort’s jaws and just as he was about to win…Ron woke him up. “Good morning mate and Happy Birthday!”

“Good morning Ron. What time is it?” Harry asked.

“It’s not too late its 8:03. Now come on! Get dressed and let’s have breakfast.” Ron said.

Harry slipped into a crisp pair of jeans and put on an oversized t-shirt. Ron noticed and said, “Harry, it’s so good to see that you lost about a million pounds.”

Harry laughed. They went down stairs to find a distressed Hermione. “Hermione! What’s wrong?” Ron asked.

Ginny and Molly were trying to comfort her. “Well you see, Dumbledore was handing out O.W.L scores and she got hers and was all upset.” Ginny explained.

“Oh Hermione! What did you get?” Harry asked knowing that it couldn’t be too bad.

“An E for astronomy!” Hermione said in between tears.

They all let out a sigh of relief. “Hermione, how many O’s did you get?” Ron asked.

“Well, 10.” She said.

Harry laughed. “Hermione! That’s great! I probably got a oh, I dunno a something so bad they don’t have a letter for it.”

“Well Harry, if you want to know take a look here. You too Ron. Oh, by the way Happy Birthday.” Dumbledore said.

“Thanks.” Harry said.

Harry got a few outstandings. They were in Defense against the Dark Arts, Potions, Charms and Transfiguration. “Professor, where is Professor Snape?” Harry asked.

“He is alright. Just a little shaken and well, he’s okay. He is at Hogwarts under Mrs. Poppy’s eyes. Believe me Harry, you’ve been there enough to say he’s quite all right.” Dumbledore said.

“Happy Birthday Harry.” Ginny and Hermione said.

After many people said Happy Birthday to him, breakfast was ready.

The day went quickly. Harry insisted that everything be done like at the Dursleys. Nothing special. Dumbledore pulled him aside and asked him, “Did you tell your friends?”

“Yes, I did.” Harry said knowing it was about the prophecy.

“Good. You should also know tonight we are going….” Dumbledore started.

“To Hogwarts.” Harry finished. Dumbledore looked amazed. “What? I didn’t eavesdrop on purpose. You guys were yelling.”

That night they had a cake and even Hagrid was there. Then came the presents, Harry said suddenly, “What am I to do without the Dursleys socks?”

They all laughed. After all the presents were open Lupin came up to Harry with a gift and a note. “Sirius wanted me to give this to you if anything... happened.” He said.

Harry held it in his hands. He could feel all of the eyes on him. I will not cry, I will not cry, he thought over and over. “I… I…” He said.

Unable to produce an excuse Harry fled to his room dropping the gift as he did so. Molly stood up to go to Harry. Dumbledore stopped her, “Let him be. He will learn to over come grief without the help of adults. Of course, it’s his friends that keep him going.” He said shooting a glance at the three kids sitting at the table.

It was kids cue to leave for Harry. Hermione picked up the gift and walked up the stairs. They knocked lightly on his door. No answer. “Harry?” Hermione called gently.

Hermione bent down and left the present in front of the door. They sensed that Harry would come to them if he wanted them. They turned to leave. The door opened. The three kids turned around and saw Harry. “I am sorry for leaving on you guys. I just couldn’t take it. So many people have died. And yet there are so many more that will.” He said.

“It’s okay Harry. You just need to talk to us, so we know what’s wrong.” Hermione said.

“We will always be your friend. No matter what. Even if Rita Seeker was right about you being nutters.” Ron said.

“Harry, don’t forget we’re on your side.” Ginny said.

“Harry are you going to open that?” Ron asked.

“Sure why not?” He said.

He torn off the paper and read aloud a note that was in Sirius’s hand that said:

Dear Harry,

If you are reading this I must not be around. I have asked Remus to give you this gift if anything happened to me. I trust him that he did. Do not cry Harry, Ron, Hermione or Ginny. You guys are great wizards and witches. I can’t believe how much you guys have done. Keep up the good work. You all make me proud. Don’t forget that I can never really leave you Harry. If you reflect upon yourself you will see me. This gift is a book I made filled with stories and pictures of your parents, Peter, Snape (the slimy git he is) Remus and myself. I hope you enjoy.

With all love,

Sirius Black


Harry smiled. The other’s did too. It was like Sirius to think of them. Harry opened the book and it was as Sirius described, filled with pictures and stories. A tear escaped from his eye, yet he smiled. He put the book down on his bed and said, “Well, this is my first Birthday party and how is it a party, if I am not there?”

“Well, come on then.” Ron said.

They walked down the stairs with their arms wrapped around each other ready to follow each other to death.

Everyone was quite when they walked into the kitchen. “Thank you Professor Lupin. You have done me, Sirius and my friends a favor.” Harry said.

“You’re welcome Harry.” Lupin said.

“Professor may I speak to you alone.” Harry asked addressing Dumbledore.

“Yes, you may come in here Harry.” Dumbledore said leading his way into the living room.

“Professor, I mean to apologize for last year. I had no right to take my anger out on you. I just couldn’t take it and you’re right. I am only human and humans make mistakes. Also humans forgive. I am also glad that you told me the truth. I want to thank you for all that you have done for me. You put your job on the line several times for me. I still can’t bare what happened. I am so sorry.” Harry said.

“Harry. We all get angry. It’s okay. Harry you must not feel to well about everything. I promise you that some day things will look a little brighter. Well, at least I hope they do.” Dumbledore said.

Harry joined his friends and the day ended. “We leave for Hogwarts in exactly one hour.” Dumbledore said.

A/N- Oh, forget how many reviews I get. Just review please!! WHY HASN'T ANYONE REVIEWED THIS CHAPTER?!?!?!?! Please review!!!!!!!!!!
Back to Hogwarts by School owl
Chapter 4
Back to Hogwarts

“Professor, how will we get to Hogwarts?” Hermione asked.

“Well Hermione. We would use Floo powder, if the network wasn’t being watched. I think that we will probably have the knight bus drop us off at Hogsmeade.” Dumbledore said.

“Who is going with us?” Ron asked.

“You four of course, Professor McGonagall, Professor Snape, Remus, I think Hagrid, Professor Moody, Molly, Arthur, and myself. Others may drop in occasionally.” Dumbledore said, “But only Molly, Professor Moody, Tonks and Remus will be going with us.”

“Now is everyone ready?” Molly asked.

“Mum, I can’t find my wand.” Ginny said.

“Ginny. Did you not watch the Triwizard tournament? Accio wand!” Ron said.

The thin frail wand zoomed around the corners and landed right in front of Ron. He handed it to Ginny. “Now is everyone ready? Wait.” Molly said, “Where’s Mad-eye?”

Everyone sighed. Would they ever get to Hogwarts? “I’ll look for him.” Harry volunteered.

“Alright. Go quickly now Harry so we can leave.” Molly said.

Harry had a hunch that Moody was upstairs. He opened the door to one room and a stunning spell hit him. Harry fell to the floor. Moody opened it and swore. “Potter.” He said slapping Harry’s face.

“What... Professor?” Harry said as he was waking him up.

“Sorry Harry. I was just a little paranoid. Are we leaving?” Moody asked.

Harry nodded and Moody helped him to his feet. “Come on then.” Moody said and they walked down the steps.

“Well, now that everyone has joined us we can go now.” Molly said her voice sharp.

Dumbledore flagged down the knight bus and paid everyone’s toll. They got their trunks on the bus and sat down on their beds. The bus swerved and tipped and turned. Finally they got to Hogsmeade. Remus made their trunks fly. The entire town was dark and foggy.

A voice snapped into Harry’s mind. It was a voice that took away his godfather’s life. Harry automatically took out his wand. The order moved in front of the kids, hiding them from the death eaters. “Now, you know what the dark lord says. We screwed up on Snape, so let’s do some good. Remember get Potter, kill the others.” Malfoy’s father said through the fog.

When the death eaters emerged from the fog, Harry could see that there wasn’t too many of them, only about ten. Harry had a thought that he shared with his friends. They agreed to do it. Harry emerged from the protective shield. The adults cried for him to come back.
“Hello.” Harry said in a cheery voice.

“Well, hello Potter.” Malfoy said, “Giving up?”

“I’ll make a deal. You take me and my friends and the adults, go free without any harm done to them.” Harry said.

Harry had one hand behind his back and while the death eaters were talking he made a signal. “Okay Potter. We’ll make that deal.” Bellatrix said.

“Nope, sorry I’ve reconsidered. NOW!” Harry yelled to his friends.

A mix of hexes and curses flew through the air hitting the death eaters. They were shocked. They thought it was going to be easy to kidnap Harry and kill his friends. The order picked up on it and followed. Soon the death eaters fled.

After they did so, Remus Lupin pulled Harry aside. “Harry! What were you thinking? Don’t ever do that again. If you do you will be in so much trouble…” Lupin started.

Although Harry cut him off, “Professor everyone is safe and we are all alive. That’s all that matters. I can tell that you aren’t telling me everything.” Harry said.

“You’re just like your father. He could tell when I wasn’t saying everything. I… I… you see Harry, I have now lost all of my best friends; James, Sirius, Lily and Peter. Yes, Peter too, because he has gone to the dark side and isn’t coming back. You are so much like your father. I would die if you did, Harry. You’re all I have left.” Remus said.

A tear fell from Remus eye and Harry said, “Remus. Don’t worry. I will not, no, cannot die. I do not fear for myself, I fear for those around me. I have faced Voldemort many times now. I know how he fights. Those who have never faced him, I fear will not make it.”

Remus was silenced after what Harry said. Dumbledore came over to where Harry and Remus were and spoke, “Remus. I will not let anything happen to Harry, as long as he listens to me.” He stopped and looked at Harry. “Harry, I will not let anything happen to the others. I know that you both are still grieving and you both have said some things that you may not have meant. I will not stop you from grieving, but I ask of you both to pull yourselves together. This year is going to be a long one.”

After making sure everyone was alright the order and kids headed out to Hogwarts. There they were met by Professor McGonagall, Hagrid, and Professor Snape. “Well, hello everyone.” Professor McGonagall said in a cheerful voice, “Did you get here okay?”

Dumbledore shook his head and said, “I’ll tell you about it later.”

“Hello Harry, Ron, Ginny, Hermione! I haven’t seen ya in a while.” Hagrid said.

Snape just stood there with an unpleasant look on his face. They all went inside to a warm lighted hallway; all except Harry and Snape. Harry moved towards Snape and asked, “How are you, Professor?”

Snape, who had been shocked with the kindness said, “Fine, Potter. Why should you care?”

“I care because you are a person. You shouldn’t be hurt even if we don’t get along. I am sorry for any trouble I may have caused you.” Harry said and he began to go inside.

All of a sudden Harry fell to the floor. His scar seared with white hot pain. Snape dropped beside him. “Potter. Potter can you hear me? DUMBLEDORE!” Snape yelled with fear.

In an instant Dumbledore was beside him. “Harry.” He said.

“Molly, get…” Dumbledore started.

“Voldemort… going to kill.” Harry said oddly.

“Who is he going to kill?” Dumbledore asked.

“Why all of you,” Came a sharp cold response.

Voldemort was outside in the dark… with them. “Is poor Harry weak?” He said.

“I can take away the pain…” He said smiling.

Molly got the kids inside. The only people outside were Harry, Snape and Dumbledore. “I see with my own eyes that Snape you are not faithful. You know the consequences for this. AVAD…”

“EXPELLIARMUS!” Harry shouted jumping from the ground.

The wand flew out of Voldemort’s hand and Harry caught it. Amazed Voldemort turned around. “Harry. You hate this man! He was mean to you. He let Sirius die.” He said.

Harry felt a chill go down his back. Voldemort had him; he knew how to make Harry angry. Dumbledore waited for Harry’s reaction. “No.” Harry said shakily, “No.” He repeated. “He did not, but you did. I should break this wand for all the evil it has done. I won’t though.” And Harry did something that shocked Snape, Dumbledore and Voldemort.

Harry tossed back the wand. Voldemort caught it. “Harry… why? I… I killed your parents, Sirius, Cedric! Does that not bother you?”

“Yes. It bothers me very much. You ask why, I’ll tell you why. You deserve a chance. I deserve a chance. I will say that I am very, very angry with you. I will not hurt you if you do not hurt me or the others.” Harry said.

“I… I” Voldemort started, and then he fled.

Harry turned around to see Dumbledore smiling. “Harry. That was quite brave of you. You should him something he has not seen before, love. How did you know that he would not harm you once you gave him his wand?”

“I didn’t. I just assumed that if I knew Voldemort, like he knows me then it would be okay.” Harry said, “Professor Snape are you okay?”

“Yes, Potter.” He said and sweep past him into the dungeons.

Harry and Dumbledore went into the castle and Harry said, “The term hasn’t started yet and I have seen the death eaters and Voldemort twice.”

“Yes, you will see more of them through the year.” Dumbledore said.

Molly was waiting for Harry and Dumbledore. “Harry!” She said, “Are you alright?”

She didn’t wait for an answer, she just hugged him. “Harry you are cold. Come inside and I can fix you a cup of tea.”

“No, that’s okay. I’ll just go see the others. Where are they?” Harry asked.

“In the Gryffindor tower. The password is Crookshanks.” Molly said, “Hermione picked the password.”

“Thanks.” Harry said and he walked up to the painting and said the password. There he found Ron, Ginny and Hermione waiting for him. They began to chat amongst themselves. “You guys said that I could talk to you, right?” Harry said.

“Of course Harry.” Hermione said.

“I just can’t take it anymore.” Harry said.

“Take what?” Ron said.

“The fact that everyone I care for is dead except a few. I wonder who will be next, will it be Ron? Remus? Hermione? Ginny? Molly? Any of the others? I just can’t take it!” Harry said.

Harry felt the tears coming before they came. He just cried and cried. His friends comforted him. In the end he said, “I’m sorry for crying. I just can’t stand being me anymore.”

“It’s okay. You never cried before. Even when the people that you knew and liked died. We knew that you wouldn’t be able to take it any longer. It’s human to cry and you are human.” Ginny said.

“Thanks you guys. I really mean it. I’m so sorry for acting the way I did last year.” Harry said.

“IT’S OKAY!” They all yelled.

Harry laughed. They went to bed after that. Harry fell into an odd dream where he was angry. Very angry because something happened. He soon saw a gathering of death eaters and he was yelling about something. Harry soon realized that he was seeing what Voldemort was seeing. Harry closed out his mind as fast as he could using the things Snape had taught him (if Snape taught him anything).

Harry woke up and found Ron standing over him. “Did you have one of those dreams Harry?” He asked quietly.

Harry nodded. “Should I get Dumbledore?” Ron asked.

Harry shook his head no, but said, “We should at least tell Hermione.”

They trooped up to the girls dormitory and knocked softly. “Hermione?” Ron asked.

The door swung open and a girl with her hair braided in pig tails answered, “What? Do you two know what time it is?” Hermione hissed.

“Yeah. We just thought we would tell you Harry had one of those dreams and we wanted to talk to you about it.” Ron said.

“Oh.” She said, “Let’s go to the common room then.”

They all trooped down the stairs quietly. The fire was light and they took their normal seats. “What happened? You didn’t tell me?” Ron said.

“I had a feeling of anger and then I saw a group of death eaters kneeling by me.” Harry said.

“Great. Now you want me to be like Trelawney to tell you what your dreams mean. Well, Harry. It looks like people born at the end of July will die a painful death.” Hermione said.

Harry and Ron sniggered. “Was there anything else?” Hermione said.

“Well, yeah. I think Voldemort knew I was in his mind so I used what Snape taught me last year. I got out okay and then Ron woke me up.” Harry said.

“Did you tell Dumbledore?” Hermione asked.

“Did you tell Dumbledore what?” Remus’ voice said, coming from the door.

“Umm…” Ron said.

“Tell him that… that…” Harry said.

“Tell him that we had just woken up and are very sorry and that we’re going to bed, right now.” Hermione said.

They all got up and Lupin said, “Come on you guys. I know you three better than that.”

It felt like it was their first year, when they beat the troll. Hermione lied to get them out of that one. Maybe she could do it again. Ron and Harry looked at her. “What?” She said under her breath.

“Help us. You’re good at lying.” Ron whispered back.

“I’m waiting.” Lupin said, Harry thought he heard everything.

“Professor. I had a dream and…” Harry began.

“We were talking about it and thinking what we could do…” Ron said.

“When you came in.” Hermione finished.

Lupin chuckled. “I knew only one other group of friends that could finish each others sentences. That was my friends.” He said.

“Well Professor, what are you going to do?” Harry said.

“Oh yes. Tell of this dream.” Lupin said.

Harry told him of it and Lupin got up quickly. “Stay here. Wake up Ginny and don’t leave the common room. I’m going to find Dumbledore.” He said.

Hermione woke up Ginny and filled her in on what happened. They stayed in the room until the sun peaked over the mountains. “Where are they?” Ginny asked, “We’ve been sitting here over like two hours.”

“I am not sure.” Ron said sleepily.

Hermione was asleep on a chair. Harry got up and said, “I’m going to look for them. If it has been two hours, then something happened.”

Hermione woke up. “No way am I going to stop you. I just ask that you take me and Ron along and that we wear the invisibility cloak.”

“Alright.” Harry said.

Ginny looked bewildered, “What about me?”

“You’re not going with us.” Ron said.

“But…” She began.

“No ‘buts’. You are way too young.” Ron said in a brotherly way.

“I am one year…” She began.

“Don’t start. You tried that last year and look what happened. You’re staying here.” Harry said.
“Bye.” Hermione said as they slipped the cloak over them.

They walked along the halls and they didn’t see anyone or anything. They arrived at the headmaster’s quarters. “Professor?” Harry called out.

A voice at their side made them jump. “Hello you three.” It said as it pulled off the cloak.

It was Dumbledore. “What are you doing out of your beds so early?”

“Harry had a dream and…” They began and they told their story.

“So, have you seen him?” Ron asked.

“No.” Dumbledore said and frowned.

“Oh no!” Hermione gasped as she looked around a corner.

“What?” Harry asked.

They all ran over to where Hermione was, in front of her was Lupin. And he wasn’t moving.

‘Welcome back to Hogwarts… the terror is just beginning.’ a note said. The note was right… the terror was just beginning.

A/N- Please review! Please review! Please review! Please review! Did I say…. Please review!!!!!

Thanks. I hope you like the story so far!!

Please review!
End of summer , start of surprises by School owl
Chapter 5
End of summer, start of surprises

Hermione was chalk white. “Is he…?” she asked.

Dumbledore walked to him and bent down to him. “No. He is not dead. He is simply stunned. He may have had a few hexes as well. He will live.”

As if magically summoned there Madam Pomfrey came to the rescue. “Poor dear,” she said as she took a stretcher and made him float upon it with her wand.

She took him to the hospital wing. “I’m so glad I found you three, Lord only knows what could have happened,” Dumbledore said.

“By the way, Professor, how did you find us? We had the invisibility cloak on,” Ron asked.

“I have my ways, Ron. I can do things that would make your head spin. Literally,” Dumbledore said smiling.

“Professor, will he really be okay?” Harry asked, his voice was thin.

Dumbledore studied Harry for a moment. He then said, “Harry. I know that you are tired of hearing this, but you look so much like your parents. Not only that, but you think like them too.” He paused and sighed, “That may be why I can’t lie to you. I am not sure of what hex or stunning spell he was hit with. It is highly advanced magic. Dark magic at that. I am so sorry Harry, if we do not know the spell, we cannot find the cure.”

Harry looked as if the wind was knocked out of him. He then looked at his friends and said, “Hermione, Ron are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

They looked at each other and nodded. “Professor, can we have a note…” Hermione started.

“To go to the restricted section in the library?” Ron finished.

“Why?” Dumbledore asked.

“To look up hexes and spells…of dark magic,” Harry answered.

Dumbledore chuckled and said, “You three hang out so much you can finish each others sentences and thoughts too. Yes, I will write you three a note.”

He pulled out a piece of parchment and took out a quill and wrote them a note. “Run along then,” he said. “Good luck.”

The three took Dumbledore seriously and ran to the library and were out of breath when the head librarian caught them. “What are you three doing here? It’s not even the school term yet. I mean I can understand you Hermione, but you two…”

“We need to get into the restricted section. See, we have a note,” Ron said.

She took it and led them to the dark arts section. “Only look at what you’re looking for. Don’t look at the other dark art books,” she warned.

They wondered why but shook the thought off as they looked for a cure for Remus’s symptoms. Hermione suddenly jumped up and yelled, “I’ve got it! Come on!”

The trio ran down the stairs with the librarian yelling at them. While they were running down one hall Harry ran into something. It was Snape.

“Move on Snape!” he said annoyed.

“In a hurry to get somewhere, Potter?” Snape asked his lips curling.

Hermione and Ron looked to see what Harry would do. “Just for your information Professor, the last person you have hated is now dying. We need to get to him,” Harry said.

“St. Potter saving another life. Isn’t that sweet?” Snape said, “Then again he let his own godfather die…”

Ron starting swearing at Snape and Hermione was trying to control him. “Why didn’t I let Voldemort kill you? He was right. I do hate you,” Harry said.

This made Ron and Hermione silent. “Potter, you wouldn’t want to lose any house points before the term, would you?” Snape said.

“I don’t care! What is right and what is easy is very important. It is easy to shut up and let you control my life. What is right is to let you know that you need to stop!” Harry said raging.

Snape was blown away by this. “You speak of wisdom beyond your years, Potter,” he said.

Hermione and Ron were shocked that Snape gave a compliment, much less to Harry. “We need to go. Please let us go,” Harry begged.

“Go on and hurry!” Snape said.

They ran down the hall and into the infirmary. They saw Dumbledore waiting for them. “I knew you three wouldn’t fail,” he said.

Hermione showed him what they found and Dumbledore nodded and got Mrs. Pomfrey. They found a potion and gave it to Lupin and it revived him. Harry, Ron and Hermione sat on the edge of the bed and when Lupin spoke they heard him speak in a frail and thin. “I went to get you Albus when I was attacked by a Death Eater. The Death Eater was short and plump and spoke with a squeaky voice that reminded me of something. It had a sliver hand that didn’t look real.”

Harry and Dumbledore exchanged glances. “What?” They all asked.

“Lupin. Your best friend tried to kill you. It was Peter,” Harry said.
A tear ran down his face. “I’m so glad that he didn’t kill you like he did my parents.”

“Peter has changed I guess,” Lupin said.

“How are you mate?” Ron asked.

“Okay. Thanks to you three that is,” Lupin said smiling.

“While we’re all here I was going to keep this a surprise, but…” Dumbledore started.

“Wait!” Ron shouted.

They exchanged worried looks, they all weren’t there. “Sorry Professor. We have to go!” Harry said hurriedly.

They ran as fast as they could to the Gryffindor tower. They looked for Ginny. She wasn’t there.

A voice came from the window. It was Ginny’s. She screamed, “Help! Ron, Harry, Hermione, anyone!”

Harry looked out the window and saw that a Death Eater had her on a broom, about 50 feet in the air. Harry grabbed his Firebolt and opened the window and flew out. Dumbledore had seen this. “Give her to me!” Harry hollered.

“If you want her come and claim her!” the Death Eater yelled nastily.

The Death Eater dropped Ginny and she fell, 50 feet. Harry, who was a Seeker, zoomed after her. She screamed and screamed. With only about a foot left, Ron had fainted. Harry caught her and flew up to the window. He set her down and went after the Death Eater. The Death Eater’s hood fell back and it was a woman who looked shocked. She flew off and Harry chased her, but only far enough.

He flew back to the window and dismounted his broom. “Ginny, are you okay?” he asked.

Everyone was around Ron and Ginny (Molly, Hermione, Dumbledore and Mad-eye). Ginny nodded. Harry laughed. “It’s twice that I’ve had to save you. You get into as much trouble as me,” he said.

Ginny just stared. “I have never, ever fallen that far in my life. That was so, so scary. Thank you Harry,” she said.

Molly was hugging her tightly. “I guess that they didn’t know I’m the Gryffindor Seeker. Or was,” Harry said.

Dumbledore was about to say something when Ron said, “What happened?”

“Ron! You’re awake! Thank goodness,” Molly said.

“Ginny? What are you doing here?” Ron asked.

They explained it to him. “Thanks mate!” Ron sighed with relief. “By the way do you know that that’s the second time? She almost gets in as much trouble as you.”

They laughed. “I know, Harry already said that. You know what they say ‘great minds think alike.' Too bad that doesn’t apply to you two,” Hermione said.

“Glad everyone’s okay,” Mad-eye grumbled, “I got to get goin’ now.”

Mad-eye left. “You guys?” Harry said.

They nodded. Ginny asked, “What’s going on? Do you three read minds?”

“The mind is not an open book and cannot be read,” a voice said behind them. It was Snape.

“Yeah, yeah,” Harry grumbled.

“Potter! I heard that you have not only saved one life, but two,” Snape said.

“I didn’t save a life, nor did I save two. I just was there and reacted. Every action has a reaction. Like you saving my life in my first year,” Harry said. “I’ve been meaning to tell you thanks.”

Snape muttered something and left in embarrassment. “Let’s go visit Lupin to tell him what happened,” Hermione said.

Dumbledore said, “He is sleeping and has been told what happened. I would like to tell you four something. First, there will be no trips to Hogsmeade. You are all targets. Second, Harry if you would like to be the Seeker again, the team would be glad to have you back, if that’s okay with Ginny. Thirdly, Remus Lupin…” he started.

They all yelled and screamed with joy. “Well, I suppose that you already guess with that noise. He will be the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Don’t forget the term starts next week. Finally, there will be a transfer student coming this year. She will be in your year Harry, Ron, Hermione. She will also be in Gryffindor. I hope you three will show her around.”

“Harry, you can be the Seeker. You really have talent. I could have never caught you if you fell that far,” Ginny said.

“Where will this girl be from? What’s her name? How do we know that she’s not a spy?” Hermione asked.

“Very suspicious are you? The girl is from America and her name is Nicole Campbell. We know she’s not a spy because of her reasons of coming and she’s from America,” Dumbledore said.

“Why is she coming? I didn’t know that there was a magic school in America,” Hermione asked.

“Maybe she can tell you. I have no business in telling you,” Dumbledore said.

“Get some rest kids. You all have had a rough day. I’ll wake you in time of supper,” Molly said gently.

Harry fell asleep with his head buzzing with questions.

A/N- Please review! Thanks.
Start of term by School owl
Chapter 6
Start of term

As Molly promised she woke them all up for supper. Remus got much better. The days flew by and soon it was the time for the carriages to arrive. Harry walked outside with Ron, Hermione and Ginny. They saw Neville with Trevor his frog. “Hi, Harry! Did you have a good summer? I did. My grandma bought me a new wand. Look at it!” He said excitedly.

Neville pulled out a new shiny wand. Ginny saw her friends and ran over to them. Dean, Seamus and other Gryffindors came out and talked to Harry, Ron and Hermione. They soon saw some of their favorite people; (NOT!) Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle. “Potter, the dementors are coming. Oh, no! Did I mention that the dark lord is coming to kill everyone you didn’t? I can’t believe that you killed your own godfather.” Malfoy said.

The D.A heard this and started yelling at Malfoy and his friends. Some raised their wands, but Harry said, “No. Don’t fire.”

Malfoy and his friends went away in fear that they would hurt them. “Come on. Let’s go to the feast.” Hermione said.

“Okay.” Ron and Harry said.

They walked inside and sat down at the Gryffindor table. “Attention please.” Professor McGonagall said.

Dumbledore stood up and said, “Welcome to Hogwarts. We will start the sorting and then I have many important announcements.”

The sorting hat sang its song and then everyone was sorted. Dumbledore stood again and spoke softly and sadly, “As many of you know, Voldemort has returned to a human form again. We are all targets. The D.A that was started will continue, legally, and will be expanded to all that wish to defend themselves. Also Professor Lupin will fill the Defense against the Dark Arts post. No one will be allowed into the Forbidden Forest. When you leave for Hogsmeade you will be accompanied by an adult. I wish to acknowledge a new student from a school in America. Her name is Nicole Campbell. Please stand up and tell us about yourself.”

“Hello.” A girl said standing up at the Gryffindor table. Her hair was pulled to the side in a side pony tail. She had wavy blonde hair. Her red short sleeve shirt said ‘I could talk all day’. She wore faded jeans. She looked spunky and Harry felt that she was going to be a cool person. “My name is Nicole, but I like to be called Nicky. I come from an American school called Washington High. To muggles it looks like a normal school, but it’s really a magic school like yours. It looked small on the outside, but it had an expansion charm on it so it was bigger on the inside. I know all of your classes as I had them at my school. Well, that’s all that you need to know now, but if you want to ask me questions I would be happy to answer them.”

She sat down. Everyone clapped loudly. Dumbledore stood up and said, “Enjoy the feast.”

The food appeared magically and everyone ate. Time passed and it was time to go to the common room. Nicky appeared at Harry’s side as people left the great hall. “Could you please tell me where to go?” She asked.

“Sure. I’m…” Harry began.

“Harry James Potter. Best friends Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley. In your first year you found out about the Sorcerer’s Stone. That is a long story. Anyway to your second year you found where the Chamber of Secrets was and saved Ginny Weasley from Tom Riddle a.k.a Voldemort. You also made an illegal potion, of which the headmaster doesn’t know you made. In…” Nicky said.

“Wait! How do you know all of this stuff? It’s like. I dunno. Weird.” Harry said.

Nicky eyes flashed and he could see that she wanted to tell him something. “Harry, I’ll tell you sometime, I promise. I really want to tell you, but…” She said.

“Harry!” Hermione yelled form the stairs.

“Are you coming mate?” Ron asked.

Harry said, “Follow me.” And walked off.

Nicky followed carefully and at a single noise pulled out her wand. “Nicky are you okay?” Harry asked.

She nodded dully. “Harry who’s this?” Ron asked.

Hermione looked as if Ron was an alien. “Ron, she’s Nicky. Do you ever pay attention?” Hermione asked.

“Yes. I do. I just forgot.” Ron said defensively.

“Yeah well; anyway I’m Hermione Granger.” Hermione said putting out her hand.

Nicky shook it. She looked as if she already knew this and let Ron introduce himself. “Miss Campbell, may we see you?” Professor McGonagall asked.

They were all standing in the hallway leading to the common room. Dumbledore was with Professor McGonagall. “Sure.” Nicky said to the adults, and then she faced Harry, Ron and Hermione. “I hope we can talk again. I got to go.” She whispered to Harry though, “If you want answers meet me by the lake at 12 and wear your invisibility cloak.”

She walked behind Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall and they disappeared. Harry, Ron and Hermione walked into the crowded common room. They chatted happily with their friends. The room was getting rowdy and out of control. Just as Dean let off an I-hate-potions confetti balloon, Professor McGonagall walked in. “Dean clean that mess up now.” Her voice was sharp and harsh.

Nicky was right behind her. While Professor McGonagall sorted out the mess in the common room, Hermione suddenly said, “Oh no! Tomorrow’s the start of the term. I really need to get sleep. You two should do the same. Nicky, if you’d like I could show you your bed.”

“Thanks. I just need to study for the beginning of the term. I really want to be prepared. As I have heard, that Professor Snape is one tough cookie to the Gryffindors.” Nicky said.

“Okay then. Good night Ron, Harry.” Hermione said.

“’Night ‘Mione.” Ron said. He yawned.

“Yeah, I think I’ll go to bed too.” Ron added.

“I’ll stay here and study too.” Harry said.

“Umm… okay Harry.” Hermione said looking oddly at him. After they all said goodnight, Hermione went into the girls’ dorm and Ron the boys. Soon the common room was empty. Harry had his cloak and asked Nicky if she was ready. She nodded. They slipped on the cloak and went to the lake. They pulled off the cloak and sat by the lake. The lake was beautiful tonight. The full moon reflected against the lake. The stars glowed. “How do you know so much about me and my friends?” Harry finally asked.

Nicky sighed and said, “I know because I have been sent here by my headmistress on a certain mission. You too Harry are on this mission. I cannot tell you what it is. There is a time for questions and a time for answers. This is the time for questions. Someday, will be the day for answers. Harry. You know as well as I do, that Voldemort will kill many this year. I know you will wept for many of them will be friends and people you know. I am telling you to be strong. Do not give in. I know the future is a wonderful and terrible thing. You shall conquer and be conquered. Have faith Harry.”

“Do you know someone I know has died?” He asked.

“Yes. I know everything about your life that even Dumbledore does not know. I am a child like you. I too have feelings. I am very sorry about Sirius. Do not let it drag you on though.” Nicky said.

“Oh Nicky. Please help me. I am not sure that my friends feel the pain I feel.” Harry begged.

“Yes, they don’t feel the exact pain you feel, but they feel the pain never the less. Remus has lost all of his friends. Do you know the pain he feels? As I have said, many will die. If you cry, then you will cry forever. Do not cry because many will die. I am preparing you for the path that lies ahead. There are only two choices; the easy way, and the right way. Only you can tell which one is the best. Your choice will change the course of the future.” Nicky said softly to him.

They sat on the grassy shores gazing at the lake in complete silence. “What path would you choose, Nicky?” Harry asked.

She let out a deep breath. “I cannot tell you. You must choose it yourself.”

Harry sat there thinking of everything that happened. He did something next that shocked himself and Nicky. He bent over and kissed her on the cheek. As he did so he noticed a warm glow to her. He felt strength and comfort around her. “Harry,” Nicky said ever so softly, “We must get back to the castle before anyone finds out we’re gone.”

They got up and stole one last glance at the moon and headed for the castle. Nicky through the cloak over Harry and walked with her wand withdrawn. The two made it to the common room safely. Harry took off the cloak and said goodnight and left. Nicky did the same.

Nicky slept well and so did Harry. In the morning Nicky changed into her Gryffindor robes and had her hair at full length. During breakfast everyone was looking to see what they would be going to. “Hey!” Harry said to Ron, Hermione and Nicky, “We all have potions together before lunch. That’s great we can suffer together.”

“What a coincidence. I have potions at the same time.” Draco said. “Isn’t that lucky that I get stuck with idiots?”

“Not really.” Ron muttered.

Nicky put out her hand and said brightly, “Good morning. My name is Nicky. What’s yours?”

“Draco Malfoy. If you might want a suggestion, you could hang out with my crowd instead of those three.” Draco said.

“Thanks. Sadly, I don’t like losers, stuck ups or anyone named Draco Malfoy. Hey, you fit all three, so sorry. I won’t hang out with you or your friends.” Nicky said.

Pumpkin juice squirted out Ron’s nose and everyone was laughing at what Nicky said. Draco went away embarrassed. Harry high-fived her and Hermione said, “Well done.”

Ron just kept laughing. Too bad in a few months or weeks this is going to go away, Nicky thought; only sadness will fill these halls.

A loud noise filled the room. I thought…Nicky thought.

The time is now. A voice replied.

I am not ready. Nicky responded.

Yes, you are. You were born ready. The voice said.

Nicky pulled out her wand. She ran to the doors. Others called her back, but she was ready. Nicky opened the doors and saw only two wet death eaters. She laughed. The others didn’t though. “Voldemort has full power and he brings these two here. Has he gone crazy?” She said.

The two looked around dazed and said, “Who are you?”

Nicky thought for a moment and said, “Harry Potter.”

She almost laughed at this. “Get him!” One yelled.

Nicky was too quick though, she body-binded them, before they had a chance. “Harry Potter, for your information is a boy. I am clearly a girl.” She said smiling.

Dumbledore went over to them and did what he had to do (that was long and boring, so I won’t tell you). The rest of the kids went to their classes. Soon it was potions. Harry and everyone else dreaded this moment. Snape walked into the room and said, “Miss Campbell is it not?”

“Yes, my last name is Campbell. My first name is Nicky though and would prefer if you called me that. You only say someone’s last name out of respect. As I would call you Professor Snape.” Nicky said.

“Let’s see what you know. Or do Americans think they’re too good to do it.”

“I am skilled in D.A.D.A and potions. Try what you may, you cannot stump me.” Nicky said challenging Snape with her brown eyes flaming.

“Fine.” Snape spat. “If you think you’re so good. Wolfsbane potion.”

“Sure. If you’re not going to use it as it can only be used in a full moon.” Nicky said.

“Fine. Do you know about Occlumency?” Snape said.

“Yes, look. You are wasting everyone’s time trying to stump me.” Nicky said.

“What is Occlumency?” Snape pushed on.

“It’s a…” She began.

“Legilimens!” Snape said.

Nicky braced herself and said, “Protego!”

The spell went back to Snape. Snape repelled it. “Very good.” Snape said stiffly.

“There. I answered all of your questions correctly. Now, please go on with the class.” Nicky said.

“Why does a Gryffindor challenge Professor Snape? Are you a snob?” Draco asked.

“I challenge him because I want to prove a point. That point is that we are all equal. No matter what house. I do not think of myself as a snob. You are allowed to think what you want of me. However, I will know that it is not true.” Nicky said.

The Gryffindors were looking at Nicky as if they saw her for the first time. Slytherins were cheering Draco and Snape on. The two looked at Nicky as if she was a human with ten arms or something. “Look, Nick. I know that you think of yourself highly, but your not. You’re a mud blood!” Draco said.

Everyone gasped. “My name is either Nicole or Nicky, but not ‘Nick’. So what? I am not the only muggle born in here. It doesn’t matter what our heritage is. I mean you came from a bunch of idiotic, dumb, death eater family! Who cares? It’s the person that matters. And you Draco are just like your family!” Nicky said loudly.

The Gryffindors were up on their feet clapping. The Slytherins looked taken back. Draco sat down and Snape sat at his desk and began to scribble something on a piece of parchment. “Give this to Professor McGonagall. You have detention for a week.” Snape said to Nicky.

Nicky walked to the front of the room and took the parchment. “Thank you Professor.” Nicky said quietly.

Snape sneered. Suddenly Harry fell to the floor screaming. “Class dismissed.” Snape said quickly and rushed to Harry’s side.

Everyone left except for Hermione, Ron and Nicky. Nicky knelt beside Harry and spoke to him softly. Her voice had a kindness and warmth to it. It was almost like a soothing song. Harry felt her warmth as she moved her hands to his head. She pulled his hands off of his head. She kept talking to him. Harry stopped moving and lay still. “Professor, do you have a soothing potion?” Nicky said her voice still soft.

Hermione and Ron looked at Nicky amazed. Somehow she calmed Harry. Snape nodded dully, also amazed. Snape got up and brought a little to Nicky. Nicky lifted Harry’s head and poured some of the potion down Harry’s throat. Harry felt stronger. “Ron get Professor McGonagall and Hermione get Dumbledore quickly!” Nicky said urgently.

They did as they were told. Nicky sat by Harry. Snape asked, “How did you know what potion to use? How did you calm Harry like that?”

Nicky looked at him and spoke in a beautiful voice, “I know what to use because I am the head student in my year; much like Hermione. I calmed Harry by simply speaking to him in a gentle way; nothing more, nothing less.”

A thunder of running feet was heard. Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall appeared at the door with Ron and Hermione. Dumbledore walked over to Harry and Professor McGonagall followed. “What happened?” Dumbledore asked Nicky.

“He fell out of his seat screaming, sir. I gave him a soothing potion. I am not sure why he fell though.” Nicky said.

Dumbledore bent over Harry and asked him, “What did you see?”

“Voldem… Voldemort ordered his death eaters to kill some muggles at a dance club. He said after they did that then they could come into Hogsmeade and kill as many as they wish.” Harry said weakly.

Professor McGonagall ran out after hearing that to get some of the order on it. “Hermione, Ron get Harry up to the common room to rest. Lupin will be up shortly to take the place of Professor McGonagall tonight. She is on a mission.” Dumbledore said.
“No one will go back to classes.”

“Would you like me to, professor?” Nicky asked.

“No! Not if we can avoid it. No, stay with Harry and his friends.” Dumbledore said sharply.

“I can…” Nicky began.

“No. Go on now.” Dumbledore said.

Hermione, Ron and Harry look confused. However they went up stairs to the common room with Nicky.



A/N- That was probably everyone’s favorite chapter! It was mine. Sorry it was so long. If you’re confused that’s okay. All of your questions will be answered. Please REVIEW!!! REVIEW and please, be kind when you review. Thanks, School owl.
Twists and turns by School owl
Chapter 7
Twists and turns

“How do you feel Harry? Come sit by the fire and warm up. You too, Hermione, Ron.” Remus said.

Harry said, “I’m okay.”

“Wait! Where’s Nicky?” Remus asked suddenly sounding scared.

The trio stole glances at each other as if to say, ‘What’s going on?’ “I’m here Professor.” Nicky said coming out of the hole.

Lupin let out a sigh of relief. Harry pulled out the piece of paper Sirius wrote him. Hermione and Ron saw this. “What are you reading Harry?” Hermione asked.

“This-Don’t forget that I can never really leave you Harry. If you reflect upon yourself you will see me. - I don’t understand it.” Harry said.

Nicky looked up. She looked like she wanted to say something, but she just kept quiet. “I think I’ll go to bed. Life is sometimes a mystery.” Nicky said.

She got up and left. “Have any of you noticed that Nicky’s just a little odd?” Ron asked.

“Yeah, it’s like she’s got a secret that she can’t tell any one about. What did she mean by ‘life’s a mystery’? She’s the mystery.” Hermione said.

“You three better not judge Nicky. I know she doesn’t seem like much, but she’s the one that will help you in life and in death.” Remus said.

“What?” Harry asked looking up.

“Opps. I feel like Hagrid telling you three secrets.” Remus muttered and then said loudly, Umm… nothing. Forget it.”

“It seems like everyone knows but us. What’s going on Professor?” Harry asked.

“I can’t tell you. I think that Nicky was giving you a clue Harry though.” Remus said.

Lupin got up and left. The common room was now empty except for the trio. “Wait! I think I know what Nicky was talking about! Harry did you get a mirror or something like that form Sirius?” Hermione asked.

“Yeah.” Harry said dully starring at the dancing flames.

“I get it. You’ll see Sirius in the mirror!” Ron said.

“I broke it though.” Harry said.

“For god sake Harry! Are you a wizard or not? It’s almost like Hermione in the first year. ‘There’s no wood.’ What were you thinking Hermione?” Ron asked.

Ron and Hermione went on bickering. Harry went to the dorm and got his broken mirror. “Reparo.” Harry said pointing his wand on it.

It repaired itself and then Harry remembered, he had already tried it. Still he tried it. “Sirius Black.”

Why? Oh why doesn’t this work? Harry thought. All I want to do is to talk to Sirius Black.

All of a sudden the mirror began to swirl. Sirius’s face was in the mirror. “Hello Harry. I see you have found out the secret of the mirror.” Sirius said.

“No, I didn’t. I am so glad to see you. I miss you. Where are you? Do you know what’s going on? Can I save you?” Harry said quickly.

“Well, the power of thoughts is more powerful then the power of words. That is the way the mirror works. Yes, I know what is going on. Nicky is an amazing girl. Just a word of advice. Don’t fall in love with those whose time is coming. I cannot tell you where I’m at and no Harry, you cannot save me. You already did,” Sirius said sadly.

“Would people please stop talking in riddle?!? Can’t you just tell me what you know?” Harry said.

“No. I can’t reveal secrets to the living. I love you Harry. I will always be here for you. Just behind the mirror. Goodbye.” Sirius said.

The Sirius’s face swirled away and Harry saw his own reflection. Harry wanted to scream, ‘Wait! Come back. I don’t want to lose you again.’ But Harry just stared at the reflection.

I want you to come back,
The pain’s unbearable.
Why did you leave me?
Did I do something?
How can you go?
You’re leavin’ me ‘lone.

Can’t you see I can’t live without you?
My heart is torn in two.
I am all alone.
I miss you.
I wanna to see your face.
Come back.
Oh, come back soon.

This is tearing ‘part my world.
My tears are getting bigger.
There’s an empty space inside me,
That’s where you used to be.
That’s where you ‘posed to stay.
I really want you to come back.

I see your face in my dreams.
In my dreams.
Your lips are smiling.
You speak to me.
Oh why ya have to go?
Please come back.
Oh, come back.
Oooh, come back.
Soon.

Harry threw the mirror back into its spot in his trunk. He laid on his bed and fell asleep. A voice woke him up. “Harry. Come on you’re going to be late for breakfast!” Ron said.

Harry got up and dressed. “Quidditch practice starts today too.” Ron said.

“What?” Harry said looking up from his backpack that he was stuffing with books.

“I said, Quidditch practice starts today. I guess I’m still the keeper. I need a little practice. I mean Ginny played with me over the summer, but I need a lot of practice.” Ron said.

The slung their backpacks over their shoulders and walked out of the dorm and meet up with Hermione. “I think you will do very good Ron. I mean how bad could you be?” Harry said.



Quidditch practice later that day


“How could you be that bad?!?!?!?!?!” Angelina yelled at Ron.

“He only missed the Quaffle because he was trying to do a plan that he made.” Harry said defending Ron.

“As for you Potter. I am glad that you’re back, but you’ve got to concentrate! You missed several chances to catch the snitch!” She said rounding on him.

Soon the whole team was in an up roar. Harry and Ron snuck away before they started chucking things at each other. Lupin was waiting for them. “Come you two. There is some bad news.” He said gravely.

Lupin lead them into Dumbledore’s office and Hermione, Ginny and Dumbledore were there. “Harry, do you remember when you saw the plans of Voldemort?” Dumbledore asked softly.

Harry nodded. “Well, the death eaters killed eight muggles. We didn’t get there in time. This is sad news, yes, but I have some worse news. Molly was one of the first people there. She…” Dumbledore was saying.

“Mum? She can’t… she’s not. She isn’t. Is she? RON tell him he’s wrong!” Ginny screamed hysterically.

“She’s not.” Ron said softly and tears streamed down his face.

“Hush you two. We didn’t let Dumbledore finish. Let us hear him out. Maybe she is not dead.” Harry said.

“WHY!?! You have no clue!” Ron yelled.

“Yes, I do. Please Ron, Ginny relax.” Harry said.

Ron shut his mouth and so did Ginny. “Sorry. I forgot.” Ron said softly.

“It’s okay. I didn’t really know my parents. You two did though. So I can understand why you would be so upset.” Harry said smiling, “I’m your best mate. I will always be here for you.”

Hermione sat in silence just getting over the shock. Remus and Dumbledore were watching. “Let’s…let’s listen to Dumbledore guys. Maybe…maybe…” Hermione said choking up.

“Thank you, you four. Molly is not dead. She was badly injured though. She is in St. Mungo’s. You may see her if you wish. I strongly suggest you don’t though.” Dumbledore said.

“See Ron? It’s okay. Are you okay Ginny?” Harry asked.

Ginny shook her head, “Why do you suggest we don’t see our mother?” Ginny asked.

All eyes were on Dumbledore. Dumbledore looked at Lupin for help. “I think that your mother is not in a…condition to have visitors.” Remus said.

“Why not?” Ron asked.

“She is not really here.” Dumbledore said.

“Hunh?” Harry said.

“I think what he means is that she is unconscious.” Hermione said.

Dumbledore nodded. “She was hit with many different spells that combined together to make an odd effect. The healers are trying everything…to save her.” He said the last part softly.

That when Ron and Ginny went nuts. They were screaming and crying. Madam Pomfrey came and gave them a potion to clam them. They did not calm. Harry and Hermione tried to comfort them, but they failed. Nicky walked into the room as if knowing the problem and went to Ron and Ginny. “Please. Do listen carefully. I do not mean to offend you, but did you know that everyone in this office has lost someone they loved more than anything?” She asked.

“Yeah. Some. Did you?” Ginny asked.

Nicky looked sad for a moment and said, “You said some. All have lost someone. Yes, I have lost someone I loved dearly. My father. Others that are numerous. You see, you have Voldemort and we have another villain. Hush now. Cry anymore and I will have to get a bucket the size of an ocean! Do not fret! Your mother has strength left and she will not die as long as you live. She will make it out alive!”

“Nicky. Why my mum though?” Ron said close to tears again.

“Well, why my father? He had no business with wizards or witches. Why Sirius? Why Lily and James? Well, now that I think of it Lily and James was for the prophecy. Anyway, why Cedric? Listen Ron. These people kill for no reason. Well, except for the Potters. You get the point.” Nicky said.

Everyone was thinking about it. “Ron, Ginny. You won’t lose your mother. I know Voldemort is cruel, but he’s not that heartless.” Hermione said.

Harry shot a Yeah-right-you-wish look at Hermione. Hermione shrugged. Remus was now on his feet. “I think I’ll leave now. This is none of my business.” He said.

“Sit.” Dumbledore said.

Remus listened. “We have to do something.” Dumbledore said.

Everyone thought. What am I to do? Nicky thought.

You know. Please try it. A voice said.

They’ll never listen, it’s much too dangerous. Nicky responded.

Yes, they will. Now say it! The voice commanded.

“Umm… I know this is a little dangerous, a little sneaky and a little deceiving, but it may be the only way. We talked about it in our school.” Nicky said and paused.

“Did Professor Lisa Long suggest it?” Dumbledore asked.

“Yes, the head Mistress did.”

“She is clever and I trust her.” Dumbledore said. “Well, out with it.”



A/N- I hope you enjoy it. A little mystery. A little romance. A little tricky. Very confusing, but it will not be in the end. So please don’t review and say- It’s confusing. But please review. Thanks.

School owl.
Life and Death by School owl
Chapter 8

Life and Death

“She said that if…” Nicky began, but she suddenly stopped and pulled out her wand.

The others looked around. A voice muttered something and before anyone could react Nicky fell to the ground. The person ran away and there was no use in trying to stop the person. Everyone crowded around Nicky. She didn’t look to good at all. Despite her looks, she sat up. She then stood up. Even though everyone told her to sit down. “Look,” She said, “They are trying to hold us up, we must move quickly.”

“No. You have been hit with an unknown curse and you could be hurt. Sit down.” Dumbledore said.

“Please. If I sit down, then we’ll waste time. We must be swift.” Nicky said.

Dumbledore gave her a hard stern look and said, “Remember.”

That single word gave her a look of shock on her face and she sat down in a chair. “Thank you. Remus get Poppy and tell her to hurry.” Dumbledore said.

The others sat down. “Nicky. Will you be okay? I mean, I so concerned about my mother. I don’t want to worry about you too.” Ginny said.

A pained look came across her face for a moment, but she replaced it with a smile. Keep everyone calm. Don’t worry them. She thought.

“Nicky. Please don’t do this to me. Do you remember what you said to me? The easy way is for you to cover your pain. The right way is to tell us what’s wrong.” Harry said.

Nicky laughed a hollow laugh. “I guess you did listen to me then. You’re right though. I am in pain. I know what caused it to. Please do not fear for me.”

“What is it?” Hermione asked.

“If I told you, you would be frightened Hermione.” Nicky said.

“No she wouldn’t. I really want to know Nicky.” Ron said.

Nicky muttered something to Dumbledore. Dumbledore’s eyes widened with shock. “Do not move. I had no idea. Why would you be a target though?” He asked.

“It’s quite obvious. I show up out of no where. I protect Harry. Anything standing in the way of Harry has to be taken care of. That’s what they think. I was in the way, now I am out of they way. Now they have one more thing blocking Harry. You, Dumbledore. You cannot fail.” Nicky said softly.

She no longer moved. “Oh no.” Ginny muttered again and again.

Ron, Hermione and Harry sat quietly in fear. A few minutes later Madam Pomfrey and Remus came in. Dumbledore told Madam Pomfrey what happened in a few whispers. She let out a gasp. “To St. Mungo’s that’s where she’ll go. I have no experience with this…dark magic.” Madam Pomfrey said grimly.

“You guys may get to see Molly after all.” Remus said.

As soon as they got to St. Mungo’s, Nicky was taken away by healers. They found where Molly was and went in. “Mum?” Ginny said gently.

“Hello Ginny dear.” Molly said happily.

This made all of them jump. “We had no clue that you were well.” Remus said.

“Yes, the healers do a good job. I am going to leave soon I think.” Molly said.

Everyone started to chat happily. Meanwhile…Nicky felt like she was floating. On a cloud away from here. She was spinning higher and higher. She felt like she was going to burst. Her mind slowed down, but not before she heard ‘This girl is going to die.’

Fear was not a problem for her. She had no fears…until now. She didn’t want to die. It wasn’t her time. She needed to save Harry.

A healer pulled Dumbledore aside to tell him the girl was dying and that her friends should be there when she does. Everyone gathered around Nicky to say goodbye.

“Bye Nicky. I really wanted to know you better.” Ginny said.

“I thought next year you’d be a good keeper. ‘Cause I stink.” Ron said with a sad chuckle.

“You were so clever. I really wanted to read with you in the library.” Hermione said.

“You taught me an important lesson in life. I will never forget it. I will not weep.” Harry said.

They turned to leave.

“You can still know me. I am not going anywhere, but I see you are. I don’t want to be keeper, thank you Ron though. I will read in the library with you Hermione sometime. I am glad that you learned a lesson from me Harry. Perhaps there will be more.” Nicky said softly.

They all stopped. Did she just talk? “I am not going to die today. Thank you very much. I still have much to do at Hogwarts.” Nicky said.

“NICKY! You’re alive!!” Ron yelled in shock.

Even Dumbledore and Remus looked shocked. The healer ran back into the room. “How can it be? What is your full name?” The healer asked.

“Nicole Ann Campbell.”

“Where are you from?”

“Maryland. It’s in the U.S.”

“Wha…”

“I am fine, believe me. I don’t want to cause trouble, but this is quiet ridicules Mister.” Nicky said.

“Just to be sure though. Does she act normal?” The healer asked.

“Yes.” Dumbledore said.

“Well. Nicky you should be dead. I don’t know what happened. Just like Harry here should be dead. I don’t get this group. It like nobody dies.” The healer said.

Nicky looked as if she realized something. They discharged both Nicky and Molly. The healer’s said that for both to live was an amazing victory. “What are you thinking Nicole?” Dumbledore asked as they walked away to Hogwarts.

“Well, what that healer said is wrong, we cannot die physically, but by a broken heart, we’re as good as dead.” Nicky said.

“True. Perhaps the key to this mystery lies within. Emotion will set you free.” Dumbledore said.

Nicky laughed fully, “We hold secrets, tell them in riddles and have no clue what the other is saying.”

Dumbledore smiled. Soon they arrived at Hogwarts. Molly decided to go home though. Snape was waiting for them. “I found one…dead.” He said pointing to the dark mark hovered above the Gryffindor tower.

They all gasped. Who would it be?

It was Dean Thomas.

“How did this happen?” Dumbledore asked walking quickly with the children following in his wake.

“I have no clue. I kept the kids away from the Gryffindor tower. I can’t describe it sir. It was…I am not sure.” Snape said.

Harry said, “Wait. I think you four better stay outside. I am not sure what they did, but it’s probably not good.”

Dumbledore nodded in agreement. Professor McGonagall was waiting inside. Dean lay in the middle of the floor with papers everywhere in the common room. Harry moved towards Dean. He pulled a note from his hand it said:

Potter, all of your friends will die. Unless you die first. It’s either them or you. This boy was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Next time it might be Ron, Hermione or Ginny. I’ve meet Ginny before. I bet the others are dying to see me. Or it could be Nicky (If she didn’t die already). Yes, I’m watching you. Waiting for you.

Deadly good pal,

Lord Voldemort

“Read this professor.” Harry said.

Dumbledore read it. “Go check the boy’s dorm with Remus.” He said.

Harry did and there was a little snooping done, but not much. Many of his papers were thrown around, but other than that not much was changed. Remus looked at everything to make sure it wasn’t ‘dangerous’. “There’s not much damage.” Harry reported to Dumbledore.

“I suppose that Professor McGonagall will have to talk to his parents. Could you…” Dumbledore began.

“I’m not sure.” Harry said quickly.

Dumbledore searched his face. “Okay. I understand. Could you please bring the others in?”

Harry nodded and brought the kids in. Everyone gasped at the papers everywhere and Dean’s empty face, everyone that is except Nicky. Nicky dropped to Dean’s side. She observed him carefully. “There’s nothing you can do Nicole.” Dumbledore said to her.

“Maybe. Maybe not. If a person is dead, they do not breathe. They breathe if a person is alive. Revivous.” She said pointing her wand at Dean.

Everyone stared. No spell can awaken the dead. Could it? Dean moved a bit. Once again everyone gasped. Dean was breathing. Nicky spoke to him. Her voice carried magic it’s self. “Dean. Do you know who I am?” She asked gently.

“Yes. You’re Nicky.” Dean said weakly.

“Did you know that Gryffindors are brave?” Nicky asked.

Dean nodded on the floor. He felt a warm presence with her there. He felt a little of his pain leave him. “Good. If you are a true Gryffindor then you could tell me what happened here. Who did this?” Nicky said.

Everyone was hanging on to every word they said. “I don’t really remember. It was…” Dean said softly.

Dean lay still at last. “Oh no.” Nicky said.

Everyone was looking at Nicky. Finally she looked up at them. “He has passed away. Magic could save him once, not twice. I feel like I failed you. I am sorry. We may never know what happened.” She said her voice filled with emotion.

“You didn’t. You tried hard Nicole. I didn’t even notice. Imagine if he was still alive and we told his parents he was dead and we buried him alive. It’s okay.” Dumbledore said as he made Dean’s lifeless body float down the stairs.

Dumbledore left. Remus went to the Great Hall. Professor McGonagall with the flick of her wand cleaned up the mess. “Come on kids. Let’s go to the Great Hall.” She said softly her eyes were filled with tears.

The Great Hall was filled with all of the confused students. Dumbledore was about to tell them what happened. Somehow, immediately after they walked into the Great Hall, the Thomas’s walked in. “What happened?” Mrs. Thomas asked shakily.

No one said anything. “WHAT HAPPENED?” She yelled mentally.

Mrs. Thomas dissolved into tears. Mrs. Thomas went over to Harry and said, “If you never attended this school, if you were never born…” He said began angrily.

“Then you and Dean would be dead. Listen, I know you grieve, but don’t take it out on others. Let’s face it. If Harry was never born, Voldemort would kill everyone and everything.” Nicky cut in just as angrily.

“My child. My baby. He can’t be…” Mrs. Thomas said.

“I am sorry of your loss. I know it’s not easy. Believe me, I know. I knew Dean. We laughed together late at night in the dorm. We had some really good times. That’s what I try to remember. The good times. Not the bad ones. I encourage you to do the same.” Harry said.

The Thomas’s nodded. “We’re sorry. I guess we shouldn’t have barged in here. It’s so hard to believe though.” Mr. Thomas said.

“No apology needed. Your loss is our loss too. Anyone is welcome in these halls. As long as you are on our side. I am sorry for your loss once again and if you would be so kind as to follow me into my office.” Dumbledore said.

Dumbledore left and the Thomas’s were right behind him. Harry and his friends followed. Nicky stayed behind. She knew it wasn’t her place to be. Dumbledore told the story of what happened. He said he didn’t know what happened. Meanwhile Professor McGonagall told the school what happened. Everyone was in shock. How could a student just die? How could they get into the school? Was anyone safe?

Many questions arose that night. They slept in the great hall just like in their 3rd year. Some were crying into the night. Harry and his friends returned late into the night with Dumbledore. The Thomas’s were gone. Life is full of life and death. Nicky and Molly lived. Dean died. That’s the way things were going to be.

A/N- Sad. I know. I needed someone to die though that wasn’t a main character. I flipped though the pages until if found a name. It just happened that it was Dean. Sorry to everyone that liked him. Please tell me what you think.
Promises by School owl
Chapter 9
Promises


A bright light filtered through the windows of the Great Hall and awoke some of the children. The warmth was comforting. Harry sat up. Ron was by his side. Harry noticed that a small tear was in his eye. “Are you okay Ron?” Harry asked softly careful not to wake up others.

Ron shook his head. “Harry, things will be different from now on. I mean he’s not going to be here. Not late into the night will he laugh. Not ever.” Ron said.

Harry saw what Ron was saying for he often thought this. Harry didn’t cry this time. He remembered what Nicky had said. “I know Ron. We won’t see him again. We won’t see Cedric again. Nor will we see my mum or my Dad or Sirius again. There are too many deaths.” Harry said sadly.

“I know. I really wish that we could have gotten to know him better.” Ron said.

Harry was about to reply when Dumbledore stood up and spoke, “Good morning students. It will not be a good morning as many of you know. I wish that I could give you time to grieve, but the classes must go on. If anyone wishes to talk, they may see any of the staff.”

Harry whispered to Ron, “Any of the staff except Snape.”

Ron muffled a laugh. “Please have the best day you can. You may go to the dorms to perform your normal morning habits.” Dumbledore said dismissing them.

Ron and Harry saw Hermione and rushed over to her. “Hello Hermione. How are you?” Harry asked.

“Fine and you two?” She said.

Ron laughed suddenly at Hermione, “What?” Hermione asked.

“I never knew you had such P.J’s.” He said pointing to Hermione’s light pink long sleeve top and pants.

“What’s wrong with them?” Hermione asked heatedly.

“They’re PINK!!” Ron said laughing.

Hermione opened her mouth to argue when Harry pulled her aside, “Hermione, I think that Ron is dealing with grief. I have no clue why, he wasn’t his best friend, but he is sad though.” Harry said.

Ron was at his side. “I know why. No one that I knew really died. I didn’t know Cedric. I didn’t know your mum or dad. I knew Sirius, but not like you Harry. I knew Dean. He slept in the same room with us for over five years. I feel a little sad too, that I never knew him well.” Ron said.

“It’s okay.” Harry said.

Harry had no clue how to comfort him. “Ron maybe you’re right about my P.J’s. I don’t like pink. My mother picked them out. I think I can change them blue though with the proper spell.” Hermione said.

“No, I like them pink.” Ron said with a smile.

“You two are very odd. Strange too.” Harry said.

They walked to the dorms and got ready for the day. All the teachers were sad it seemed; Even Professor Binns (who was only Hermione’s teacher. All the others didn’t take the History. It was way too boring.) Seemed sad. The trio had D.A.D.A together and Nicky was with them.

The class was so quiet. Professor Lupin walked out of his office. “Hello everyone. Today I think it best if we talk instead of the lesson. Can anyone tell me what it’s like to lose someone close?” He said.

Lupin’s eyes locked on Harry’s. Harry looked away from these eyes and stared at the ground. Nicky raised her hand. “Nicky?” Lupin said.

“Professor, I lost my father when I was six. It was sad. Terrifying at the moment. It was so scary.” Nicky said.

“Were you there when your father died?” Lupin asked.

Malfoy sneered, “She probably killed her father. The filthy Mudblood.”

Before Lupin could do anything Nicky stood up and raised her wand and went to Malfoy. “You little pure blood. I am not MUDBLOOD!! Mudbloods are not filthy! I did not kill my father. If you want to know, I will tell you how my father died. It was ten years ago, but I still remember it.”



FLASH BACK


“I am leaving for town okay Nicole?” Her mother asked.

Nicky nodded. “I’ll be back soon. Tell your father I am getting groceries.” Her mother said.

“Okay mama.” Nicky said and her mother kissed her cheek.

“Bye.” They said.

Nicky waved until her mother disappeared from the path. The garden surrounding the house was so beautiful. Her mother was proud of her flowers. Humming birds were about. It was such a sunny day. Nicky was in a tan dress with roses on it. A hat that matched covered the top of her small head. Her blonde curls whipped in the soft breeze. She looked very pretty, just like her mother. She was chasing a butterfly when she heard a pop. She ran inside.

“Daddy, you’re home!” Nicky said.

He father swept her into her arms and twirled her around. Her dress swirled around. “Hello sweetie. Where’s your mother?” He said putting her on the floor of their wonderful home.

“Mama went to get groceries. She said she’d be back soon.” Nicky said.

“Nicole, why don’t we go away from here? Just for a little bit.” He said looking around as he pulled out his wand.

Nicky sensed a fear in her dad’s voice. “What about mama?” Nicky said.

“We’ll find her and take a vacation.” He said.

“Why are we going?” Nicky said sadly, “Why are we leaving our beautiful home?”

“Nicole, there are some bad people in the world. Not everyone is good. Some people want to hurt others. I’m not sure why, but they do. Someone wants to hurt us, so we need to go. Now.” Her dad said.

“Okay.” Nicky said looking at her father with fear on her face.

“If anything happens to me go to the den and look in my drawer. You will see a leather book. Read that book and pass it on to your children. Okay? Promise me you’ll do that. Don’t let anyone else read it. Don’t let it fall into the wrong hands.” Her father said hurriedly.

“I can’t read though Daddy.” Nicky said.

“Promise me.” He said harshly.

“Okay Daddy. I’ll read it.” Nicky said afraid.

The sun went away and was replaced by dark clouds. A soft rain came down. It turned violent. Lighting filled the sky. A bang at the door. “Nicole! Get under the table now!” Her father shouted.

Nicky ran under the kitchen table. The door fell down and in came a dark cloaked figure. Her father said many spells. The other man repelled them and hit her father with other spells. A green light filled Nicky’s brown eyes and her father fell to the floor. The wind knocked off her hat and she covered her mouth. Her father lay on the ground. Dead.

His wand lay a little to her left. The man saw the wand and then saw Nicky. He dove to get it. Little Nicky got it first. “Give me that wand.” He ordered over the wind.

“No!” She yelled back.

He raised his wand and made the same incantation that killed her father. She dodged the deadly green light. “Go away!” She said.

He made another move. Once again she moved out of the way. “Bring Daddy back!” Nicky yelled.

“He’s not coming back. He’s dead.” The man said laughing into the wind and rain.

Nicky was choked up with tears. “No! No!” She yelled.

The man laughed more. He used an unforgivable curse on her. She screamed so loudly. She felt a power awaking inside her. Without moving her wand, she blew the man back into the wall. The wall collapsed. The house tumbled to the ground.

Nicky was trapped inside. She somehow moved everything out of her way and made it to the desk. She pulled out the book and went out into the rain. Her mother was there. Her mother never understood what happened because she was a muggle. Her mother screamed into the night. Nicky never really understood what happened either. What power did a six year old have against one of the darkest wizards in the world?




Present


“My mother didn’t want anything to do with the magic world after that. She didn’t know I still have my father’s wand. I wasn’t allowed to talk to anyone that had anything to with magic. I received my letter a few years later. I picked my dad’s wand up and got a few things at Venture Ally. I went against mother’s permission. I still have the book that my father told me to get after all these years.” Nicky said sadly.

“Did you kill that man?” Someone asked.

“No.” She said bitterly, “If I did, then others wouldn’t have died.”

“What was in that book?” Someone asked.

“My father’s secrets, desires, spells and wisdom.” Nicky said.

“How did you do that without a wand?”

“I felt angry. I didn’t know what to do, but I wanted to hurt the man that took my father away.” Nicky said.

She looked at Malfoy, “So, no I did not kill my father. I am half and half. Half wizard and half muggle. Do not insult my parents or me again.”

Lupin looked at Nicky and said, “I am sorry to hear that. Please take your seat.”

Nicky took one last glance at Malfoy and put her wand away and sat down. Harry spoke, “Professor, why don’t you tell us what it’s like to lose someone?”

Lupin looked at Harry and said, “What do you mean Harry?”

“Professor, you’ve lost three good friends and another that’s as good as dead.” Hermione said.

“Well. I don’t know where to start. Lily and James were murdered. My friend was told to be the one who killed my other friend and then he was in Azkaban. Then it turns out that Peter was alive. Sirius died. That’s that. All my friends have died. As you have said Peter is as good as dead. I have had many who have died. It is a sad time.” Lupin said quickly.

“Why don’t you talk Harry?” Ron asked.

Harry laughed, “Ron! Almost everyone I know has died. I would have to tell the story of my life. We’d be here forever.”

“There is no forever.” Nicky said sadly.

The bell rang. “Class dismissed except for you four.” Lupin said.

Harry, Hermione, Ron and Nicky went up to Lupin’s desk. “We have all had some hard times. There will be more. Let’s support each other. Nicky are you alright?” Lupin asked.

“Yes.” That’s all she said before running out of the room.

“She’s not telling us something.” Ron said.

“Nicky has had a very tough life.” Lupin said.

Lupin ran upstairs leaving the trio with a million questions. “Darn! I’m going to be late for potions!” Harry said.

“Charms!” Hermione said.

“Transfiguration!” Ron said.

They went their separate ways. Harry ran into the dungeons late. Nicky was wiping her tears away into a handkerchief. “Potter. What excuse do you have today?” Snape asked.

Without waiting for an answer Snape said, “Detention.”

“It’s not his fault!” Nicky said, “He was held after class. Do not give him detention because you feel like it. Give him a chance!”

“You’ll be joining Potter.” Snape said smiling.

“You monster! Can’t you see that your class is at an emotional stand point?” Nicky asked angrily.

“You can’t let emotions take over your life!” Snape shouted.

“YES YOU CAN! You have no emotions. You are a cold hearted monster! You’re not even human! You’re the one who killed my father!” Nicky yelled.

She regretted those words. “No, I didn’t.” Snape said taken back.

“Yes you did! I found this letter in my father’s book! He wanted me to know! You are a murderer!” She yelled shoving the letter into his hand.

The class was afraid. If he killed someone, was he safe? Snape read the letter. “Nicole Ann Campbell? The daughter of Jack Scott Campbell?” He asked.

“Yes! Don’t you forget it!” Nicky said hysterically.

“You where there when he died. Did you see me? Is that why you have come to Hogwarts? To get revenge?” Snape asked a deadly tone.

“So you admit it?” Nicky asked.

“No.” Snape said coldly.

“I came to Hogwarts for a different reason.” Nicky said.

Nicky pulled out her wand. “This is my father’s wand. Now it belongs to me. It has been used only in defense. Never for evil. That is until now. I will kill you for making my life horrible!” She said.

Dumbledore appeared at the door. “Nicky please don’t do this. It wasn’t Professor Snape.” He said.

Nicky put her wand away and showed Dumbledore the letter. “I will not kill him. I am sorry for how I behaved, but I will never forgive him for what he did.” Nicky said.

Dumbledore rested a hand on her shoulder. “I am glad that you didn’t kill him. This is not Professor Snape. However, it is a Snape that killed your father. He is not related to Professor Snape or at least I don’t think so.” He said.

“Professor, I just came out of D.A.D.A and I was a little angry. Oh my god. I could have killed him. My apologies. Yes Professor, you can’t let emotions take over your life.” Nicky said.

“Come with me Nicole. We need to talk.” Dumbledore said.

Nicky’s hands shook as she gathered her things. I have blown it. I lost control. She thought.

It’s okay. No one was hurt. A voice said.

Nicky thought about what she could have done. At that thought she fainted. Darkness swallowed her.

“Nicole? Can you hear me?” Dumbledore asked.

She opened her eyes. She saw Snape, Harry and Dumbledore around her. No more talk about what happened. She was relived that this. She was so happy when Snape gave her a week’s detention that she hugged him and left.


Nicky collapsed on her bed and fell asleep. Soon Hermione was shaking her shoulder. “Nicky. Wake up!” Hermione hissed.

“What’s going on?” Nicky asked.

“Another death.” Hermione said.

Nicky bolted up and ran out into the common room. A body lay in the middle of the floor. It had red hair. Ron was by Nicky’s side. Suddenly she knew who the body belonged too. Harry saw too. “I’ll kill who ever did this!” Ron shouted.

He ran to the body. No one tried to stop him. Nicky was by his side. “Ron. May I try something?”

“No! She’s dead. Ginny’s dead!” He said sobbing.

“Ginny.” Nicky said, “Wake up dear.”

Ginny moved and sat up. “What’s everyone starring at?” She asked.

“Did you fall asleep?” Nicky asked.

“Yes.” Ginny said.

Nicky stood up and said, “There you have it. She’s alive and well. She was never touched by anyone.”

There were no adults in the room so Nicky said, “Go to bed everyone.”

They started to go back to the dorms when someone touched Nicky and she spun around in her long, pale blue nightgown. Her hair spun with it. She saw who it was, it was Neville. There was something wrong with him though. “Neville?” She asked.

“Crucio!” He yelled.

Everyone turned to see Neville say this. Nicky fell to the floor and screamed. Harry was surprised how much she sounded like his mother. Ron and Harry were holding Neville to the floor. Nicky got up. “Someone get Dumbledore!” She yelled shakily.

Someone left to get him. Nicky bent over Neville and said, “Neville, it’s me. Do you remember your friends? Come back to us. Fight it.”

Harry and Ron were surprised at what she was saying. Neville used an unforgivable curse on her. Neville realized what was happening. He felt safe and warm with her. He stopped fighting. Dumbledore ran in. “Nicole! Are you okay?” He asked.

She felt sick and she was pale, but she said, “That’s not important. Neville…”

“Tried to kill you. This is terrible. One of our own students trying to kill another.” Dumbledore said.

“He can’t help it! He’s under Voldemort’s control.” Nicky said.

Dumbledore looked astonished. “How did this happen?” He asked.

“I’m not sure. I just could tell.” Nicky said.

Ron and Harry were now struggling to keep Neville down as Neville began to move about again. Dumbledore spoke to Neville, “My dear boy. What has happened?”

Neville looked up at Dumbledore. The light shone in his eyes. He was back. “I went for a walk. I was minding my own business when I heard a voice. I just sort of blanked out after that. I only saw flashes of what I was doing.” Neville said honestly.

“Who did this?” Dumbledore asked.

“I’m really not sure. I think I hurt someone real bad though…” Neville said, his voice was cracking, “It was a girl. She screamed so loudly… I wanted to stop, but I couldn’t.”

“That was me.” Nicky said smiling.

“I am so sorry. I never meant for this to happen. What did I do to you?” Neville asked.

“An unforgivable curse. The very one you’re afraid of.” Nicky said.

Neville gasped. Nicky sat next to him. “Neville, it’s okay. A little pain never hurt anyone, but you need to resist.” She said.

Hermione said, “I really must go to bed now.”

They all said goodnight. Dumbledore soon left and after Neville apologized a million times Nicky sat by the fire alone. She stared into the flames. Harry sat with her. “Nicky, what was your life like after your father died?”

“My mother wouldn’t let me near anything that involved magic. Not even a magic set. We moved to a new house. Lived in a new neighborhood. No one knew us. They didn’t know that I had unleashed a very powerful magic. I went to a muggle school until I got my letter. I didn’t show my mom, I just left a note. I entered a new and fascinating world. I was in control. I began my lessons and people started talking. I was the witch that defeated a dozen death eaters; I save 19 people from the grasps of death. None were true though. I opened my father’s book many times. I suffered pain from people and dark lords. Always on my tail.” She said smiling.

“I can relate.” Harry said.

This made Nicky smile wider. “I guess you could.”

“Why did you freak out in Snape’s class?” Harry asked.

“I guess I was so angry for someone for taking my father away from me that I snapped. I wanted them to feel the pain that I felt. You know what I mean, don’t you?” Nicky said smiling more.

“Why do I bother to tell you? Why do you bother to ask? In my third year I wanted to kill Sirius for handing my parents to Voldemort. Now all I want to do is bring him back.” Harry said sadly.

He moved closer to her. He was so close that he could smell a faint lilac and lavender sent. “My father made me make a promise. I still keep to that promise. I want you to promise me that you will be happy and stay strong. That you will always see light in the dark.” Nicky said.

“I promise.” Harry said.



A/N- I hate the part where Nicky fights with Snape. Everyone forgets it though. I hope you like it so far. I gave up time with my family on Christmas to write this, so please review and make me want to write the next chapter. Thanks.
Halloween by School owl
Chapter 10
Halloween

Days passed swiftly. Nothing had changed. It would soon be Halloween. Dumbledore had ordered for more Aurors to surround the school. Nicky was not hanging around the trio as she used too, but she was still keeping a close eye on them.

Lupin and Harry walked into the forests together talking. It was like in his third year. Not too many worries. Just a few things were on Harry’s mind at the time. Now, there was so much to talk about. “Professor, do you think that Voldemort will make a move on Halloween?” Harry asked.

“I’m not sure. Voldemort will have spies around the castle. I know everyone around the castle and I don’t think that any of them are spies.” Lupin said.

“I am very afraid.” Harry said looking at Lupin.

“Of course you are. I would think that you were crazy if you weren’t afraid, James.” Lupin said.

Lupin looked bewildered for a minute. “Harry. I meant Harry. Sometimes, I feel that you are James.”

Harry looked at him. “I’m not. I can’t be like him.” Harry said. “I can’t defend anyone against Voldemort. My dad saved my life. I couldn’t save…”

Lupin looked at him and shook him, “Don’t you talk like that Harry. Don’t you talk like that. You saved everyone’s life the day you were born. Without you Harry, others would have died.”

“No. Cedric wouldn’t have died, Sirius, My mum and my dad. They all wouldn’t have died.” Harry said.

“Yes, they would have. Voldemort would have gotten them anyway.” Lupin said.

Harry sat on a fallen log. “I know. I just feel... If I hadn’t let Cedric take that cup with me. If I hadn’t been born. If I hadn’t gone to the Department of Mysteries. If I hadn’t done a lot of things, then maybe, things would be different.” Harry said.
Lupin sat next to him. “Do you remember when you conjured that Patronus Charm for the first time?”

“Yes. I remember.” Harry said.

“I was quite proud of you. I knew then that you were truly your father’s son.” Lupin said.

Harry wasn’t sure what to say, so he said, “We better go to the castle. I don’t want to get into trouble.”

Lupin laughed, “I thought you were your father’s son. James never worried about getting in trouble.”

“Well, he wasn’t the most wanted person in the dark world.” Harry said.

“True.” Lupin said, “Let’s go.”

They walked together. They didn’t talk much. Hermione came running to them, “What is it, Hermione?” Lupin asked alarmed.

“Nothing. I just wanted to see that you two were okay.” Hermione said.

Ron joined them. “I don’t want to tell him with Harry here…” Ron said.

“Come on Ron. He should know.” Hermione said.

“Know what?” Harry asked.

They ignored him. “You tell him then.” Ron said.

“Tell me what?” Harry asked.

“What is it you two?” Lupin asked.

“Voldemort was seen in a town near here. He killed two wizards…for no good reason!” Hermione said.

“That’s what he does.” Harry said.

“Yeah well, Dumbledore wants to see Lupin and wants us to go into the tower and stay there.” Ron said.

“Go inside.” Lupin said shortly.

The trio listened and went inside. Lupin went to Dumbledore. While everything was getting sorted out, Ron and Hermione talked to Harry in a corner. “Are you afraid?” Ron asked.

“Ron! We’ll send Voldemort after you and see how you feel! You don’t have to answer, Harry if you don’t want to.” Hermione said.

“No, it’s okay. Yeah, I am afraid.” Harry said.

“Sorry mate. I didn’t know.” Ron grumbled.

They sat in sheer silence. There were no words to say. Lupin walked in and went over to them. “I don’t think he’ll come. Tomorrow’s Halloween though, so we’ll be taking extra precautions.” Lupin said.

Harry nodded. Lupin looked at them one last time and left. He felt helpless. He couldn’t help them no matter how hard he tried. The trio went to bed soon after that.

Nightmares haunted Harry’s dreams. He wanted nothing more than a mother’s love and for her to tell him it’d be okay. Harry’s nightmare was about Voldemort, as they always were. He was Voldemort and he was telling his Death Eaters to lie low for now. Harry Potter would be well protected during the holidays. But after that, he was theirs.

He was drenched in a cold sweat. He felt many hands on him. Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall, Lupin and most of the boys were there. “Harry, are you okay?” Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. “You look a bit peaky.” Ron said.

“What happened?” Professor McGonagall asked.

“Harry, its okay to tell us.” Lupin said.

“It wasn’t too bad. Voldemort told his Death Eaters that I would be well protected during the holidays and that they could get me after them. But something wasn’t right…” Harry said.

“What wasn’t right?” Dumbledore asked.

“It didn’t seem…” Harry said searching for the right word.

“Right? Perfect? Happy? Different?” Hermione offered.

“No, it didn’t seem real.” Harry said.

“Why?” Lupin muttered.
“Maybe it wasn’t real. Maybe it was a plot to get the defense around Harry to weaken, so that way they can get him.” Ron said.

Everyone looked at him, “Hey. After six crazy years with these two, I’m bound to learn something.” Ron said.

“Well, maybe Potter was a good influence on some people. Harry Potter, Remus. James wasn’t a good influence on anyone or anything.” Professor McGonagall said.

Harry started to feel better. He was safe. “Don’t put this on my doorstep. Ron was always the craziest of us all.” Harry said.

“No, Hermione was. She was the one who said to do the Polyjuice potion! She turned herself into a cat for god’s sake. We didn’t even learn anything about the Chamber of Secrets.” Ron said.

Everyone stared at them. “Opps.” Ron said quietly.

“Ron, I’m going to kill you.” Hermione said.

“What is Ron talking about?” Dumbledore asked.

The trio exchanged glances. They had no excuse. “Hermione, why don’t you tell them what happened?” Harry suggested.

“Why don’t you? You’re the one who thought Malfoy was behind the attacks.” Hermione said.

“Nope. That was Ron.” Harry said.

“Could someone just tell me? We need to get to other things.” Dumbledore said.

“Well. In our second year, there was a series of attacks. Everyone thought that Harry was the heir of Slytherin. We thought after Mrs. Norris was attacked, that Malfoy might be the heir of Slytherin because of something he said…” Ron began.

“I told them that I could brew a potion. We tried it. I turned into a cat and Harry and Ron turned into Malfoy’s goons, I mean friends.” Hermione was saying.

“I haven’t the faintest idea of what they're talking about.” Harry said smiling.

“Oh…” Hermione and Ron said.

“I was wondering why Hermione turned into a cat, why you three did so well on your O.W.L’s on Polyjuice potion and why Harry didn’t seemed surprised when I told him about Polyjuice potion.” Dumbledore said.
“Albus, what are we going to do?” Professor McGonagall asked.

“Nothing. Unless they do something. Goodnight all.” Dumbledore said leaving.

Professor McGonagall left too. Hermione said goodbye and left to go to bed. “Harry are you okay?” Lupin asked.

“Yes.” Harry said.

“Goodnight.” Lupin said and he too left.

Ron went to bed. Harry fell back asleep very quickly.

The morning was bright and cheerful. Ron and Hermione were waiting for him at the end of the stairs. “Happy Halloween.” They said.

Harry greeted them in the same way. They had a quick breakfast before heading down to the library. Malfoy saw them leave and went after them with his friends. “Potter, there’s a dementor!” He said.

“That got old three years ago. You need new material.” Harry said.

“I agree. You’re losing your touch.” Hermione said.

“At least I’m not a filthy little…” Malfoy began.

“Mudblood.” Ron supplied.

“I’d watch out…” Malfoy began.

“Weasel.” Harry supplied.

“Malfoy give it up. We know all of your material.” Hermione said.

“You’ll all die. You know that right? You’ll all die at Voldemort’s feet begging for mercy. You’ll let others die.” Malfoy said.

His friends laughed. “You’ve never met him. He’ll kill you too if you’re not careful!” Harry said.

Malfoy looked at him and they both said, “You chose the losing side!” at the exact same time.

Harry and his friends laughed. Malfoy and his friends retreated. “Why are we going to the library Hermione?” Ron asked.

“I don’t know.” Hermione said looking confused.

“Who cares? Come on let’s go to our classes before anyone else.” Harry said.

They parted. They didn’t see each other until later that evening at dinner. They laughed at the ghosts, ate the wonderful candy and had fun. But Harry himself was like a ghost. Only a hollow shadow. Harry let himself have fun. Tonight, he decided, I’ll have fun. Soon it was time to go to bed. There was no telling how much fear that night would bring for Harry.

It all started with some jokes. They were harmless jokes. As soon as Harry closed his eyes, the terror had begun.

Harry was seeing angry scenes and frighting moments. Harry wanted to wake up, but some magical force was keeping him into the dream. It was mental torture. Close your mind Harry. Close it. A voice said.

Harry tried, but he couldn’t. Fight it. Fight it. The voice said becoming clearer.

Harry opened his eyes and felt sick. He realized who the voice belonged to. It was Dumbledore’s. “Harry. Drink this.” He said giving him a glass of a potion.

Harry drank it. He still felt very sick though. Hermione and Ron were there. “Voldemort’s sick.” He managed to say. “That’s not right to mentally torture someone. It’s just sick.”

“Harry are you alright?” Hermione asked softly.

“No. I feel really sick.” Harry said.

“Harry.” Ron said.

That’s all Ron could say. The trio hugged. Harry was beginning to feel better now. “You guys. I am so glad that you’re my friends.” Harry said.

“I’m not so sure. Harry, you could have gotten me expelled a million times. Would you like a list? First the troll. That was so…” Hermione began.

“That was ages ago. Hey, tonight’s the night we became friends though. True friends. On Halloween. Even though I almost got you expelled, aren’t you glad that I’m your friend?” Harry asked.

“Yep. Although you could have gotten us killed…” Hermione said.

“My mum doesn’t know everything we do. So it’s okay to be your friend. If she found out though… I’d be in so much trouble.” Ron said.

They laughed. They knew how Mrs. Weasley could be. “Harry are you okay?” Dumbledore asked.

“I’m still alive, so I’m not complaining, but this is also the night…” Harry said.

They understood. Halloween was the night Harry’s parents were killed. “Okay. I’ll stay here the night. Miss Granger if you would go back to your dorm…” Dumbledore said.

“Bye you guys. Take care.” Hermione said.

The rest of the night was calm. It was an interesting Halloween. One the trio would never forget, besides when they became friends in their first year.

A/N- No Nicky. Sorry. Hope you liked it. R&R!!
A death and a final battle by School owl
Chapter 11

A death and a final battle

The moment Harry opened his eyes; he wished he was still asleep. The day would bring new horror into the life of Harry Potter. Death was knocking on his door.

The morning had been very cheerful and the afternoon too. The trio had noticed that Nicky was keeping herself isolated. They didn’t think too much of it. The dinner seemed to be the best. Everything was going lovely. It was the day after Christmas, so people had spirit in them.

That night the trio was in the common room playing a game with the other students. Ron and Hermione went to bed early that night. The whole common room was empty, so Harry went upstairs.

As Harry was at the last step, a note came into his hands. It read:

Meet me at the edge of the Forbidden Forest tonight at 9:30.

There was no name. The time was 9:00 right then, so Harry grabbed his wand and left. He didn’t notice the black cloaked figure in the common room as he left.

It was the dumbest thing Harry has ever done. He had no clue who the note was from. If only he had stayed in bed…

The cloaked figure followed him into the grounds. It was raining heavily, lighting light the sky and the wind howled. It was quite freighting.

He looked at his watch, it read 9:28. With two minutes to go, Harry ran to the Forbidden Forest and went into a path. The figure hid in the bushes.

It was now 9:30. A man came down the path. It had red eyes and others were following him. Harry realized who the man was and wished he wasn’t there. He wanted to run, but his feet felt like lead. The rain was soaking Harry and the coldness made him shiver.

“Harry. You came. I didn’t think you would. I thought that the boy-who-lived was supposed to be smart to outrun me all these years. Tonight, though, that all comes crashing down.” Voldemort said in front of him.
Harry looked at him at him and hated him. He also hated himself for falling into Voldemort’s trap. No one could save him now. “Crucio!” Voldemort yelled.

Harry fell to the ground screaming in pain. The cloaked figure jumped out. The wind blow off the hood and lighting light up the face of the figure. It was Nicky.

“Stop.” Nicky ordered.

“You think you can stop me?” Voldemort asked.

“I already stopped one bad wizard, so bring it on!” Nicky said with attitude.

The rain was drenching her hair so it was brown and you could see the wet wavy strands. Her hair stuck to face. “I’ll get you later. AVADA KEDAVRA!” Voldemort yelled at Harry.

Nicky knew her task and did it. She jumped in the path of the killing curse…and took it instead of Harry. She fell to the ground and the rain ran down her face. Nicole Ann Campbell was dead.

Harry dropped by her side and felt her hand. It was ice cold. Her hands were always so warm. The sent of lavender lingered for a moment and was gone. Harry couldn’t believe it. Nicky was truly dead.

Voldemort sent the dark mark up and advanced on Harry. “Sorry about your girlfriend. I only wanted you. Just hand yourself over and no one else gets hurt.” Voldemort said.

“Yeah right! As soon as you kill me, you’ll kill my friends.” Harry said.

Voldemort was tired of waiting. He was about to kill Harry when help came. Lupin had been taking a late night walk when he stumbled upon this mess. Lupin pulled out his wand and saw Peter. “So we meet again.” Lupin said.

Harry heard the quiver in Lupin’s voice. Lupin had never seen Voldemort before alone. “You two know each other?” Voldemort asked.

Lupin and Peter nodded. “So Peter, you haven’t been loyal after all?” Voldemort asked.

Peter shook his head furiously. “Kill them both. Leave Potter for me.” Voldemort said to a near death eater.

“Impedimenta!” Harry said pointing his wand to the death eater.

The death eater was knocked off his feet. Voldemort saw this and said, “Stupefy!”

Harry fell forward. Lupin helped him to his feet. They had stolen enough time for the Order of the Phoenix to come. “Crucio!” Voldemort said to Harry again.

The pain was more intense and Harry screamed louder. Lupin helped him to his feet, but Harry was in too much pain. Voldemort saw Dumbledore and was forced to retreat.

Once Voldemort and his death eaters were gone, they could only see one death. That was Nicky.

Harry was in pain and really didn’t want to tell him of another mistake that he made that got someone killed. Dumbledore, Lupin and Harry went into Dumbledore’s office and began to talk. It started with, “What happened Harry?”

Harry wanted to say, ‘I got a letter, was dumb enough to show up and then got someone else killed.’ But he said, “I got a letter in the common room and thought that it would be okay to go…” The rest just spilled out.

Harry just wanted to forget the whole thing and be left alone. Dumbledore had not pushed him and Lupin hadn’t either. “I could have gotten either of you killed. I can’t believe what I’ve done.” Harry said his eyes filled with tears.

“Harry. We all make mistakes. I’ve made a few. It’s okay. Life is like a puzzle. It seems like the pieces don’t fit and then we get some pieces along the way and end up with a beautiful puzzle.” Dumbledore said.

Harry felt like a little kid. He wanted someone anyone to hug him. Someone did. Hermione and Ron ran into the room and hugged Harry. “Are you okay?” Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. “Do you want to tell us about it?” Ron asked.

Harry said, “No. Not really. I just want you to know thanks all of you.”

The trio understood. They cried because they somehow knew each other’s thoughts in a way. Lupin and Dumbledore left. “Nicky’s dead.” Harry said through tears.

Hermione and Ron gasped. “Harry, what happened?” Hermione asked.

Harry told them everything. “Harry, how come you’re wet?” Ron asked.

“It was raining really bad.” Harry said.

“Come on Harry. You’re going to the hospital wing.” Hermione said.

“How many times do I go in one year on average?” Harry asked.

“A lot.” Ron said.

When they got down there Madam Pomfrey was having a fit. “Two unforgivable cures. I’ll show him a curse that Tom.” She muttered to herself.

She gave Harry a potion. Harry drank it. Hermione and Ron were watching carefully. Madam Pomfrey let Harry go after he drank his entire potion. “Goodbye Harry. Please be more careful.” She said.

“I’ll try.” Harry said smiling.

Hermione and Ron went up the stairs and Harry didn’t follow. “Are you coming?” Ron asked.

Harry didn’t answer, “Harry?” Hermione asked gently.

“Huh? Oh yeah.” Harry said.

He followed them into the common room. Ginny got up and went to Harry. “Are you okay?” She asked worried.

“Yes.” Harry said.

Ginny nodded. “That’s good.”

For the first time the trio couldn’t think of anything to say to each other. They sat down with Ginny and waited for the night to end. The people around them were talking. The rumors were wrong. Harry wanted them to stop.

The trio and Ginny waited. They weren’t sure what they were waiting for, they were just waiting.

A/N- This is a short chapter, but I couldn’t combine the next chapter. I will leave you to your misery. I am sorry. Nicky had to die. If you have a box of tissues, could I barrow them?
A time for answers by School owl
Chapter 12
A time for answers

After a while Professor McGonagall cleared out the common room. Harry and Ron were forced to be separated from Hermione and Ginny. The candles were blown out and everyone was lost into darkness.

Harry woke up before anyone else. He got dressed and noticed something on his trunk. It was a note.



Dear Harry,

It seems as if we only met a little while ago. It seems as if it’s cruel that you got to know me and then I am gone. It seems as if days are nights because they are so dark. It seems as if you are a strong person, Harry. I know you are. I am writing this on Christmas night, the night before I leave you. You are wondering how I know my fate, right? Well, remember how I said the first day (night really) that there is a time for questions and a time for answers? This is the time for answers. Show this note to any adult whom you trust and they will tell you everything you need to know.

I am sorry that you got to know me so well and now I am gone. The truth is Harry; you didn’t know the half of me. I will always be with you as long as you remember everything I told you. Do not weep. It will be okay in the end. I will never forget you. You have taught me many things too about life. Goodbye, Harry and May we meet again.

Nicky



Harry let go of the letter at once. He bent down and picked it up. Harry didn’t notice a leather book until he knocked it down. It was Nicky’s father’s book. Harry scanned it and noticed that it was filled with wisdom. He read the first page.



To Nicole Ann Campbell,

Oh, my dearest. If you are reading this I must not be with you. I can just see your future. My dear, you will have many tasks in your life. You will pass and fail. Your mother may not want you to come to the wizarding world, but that is were your future lies. You will not only help America, but the world. Sacrifices must be made. Remember that when someone dies, they are not truly gone, just lost. One day you will find me. I cannot speak of what the future holds, but I can tell you that you will have a quest. Do not fear death, my dear. In the end we all must die. If you fail this quest, the world will crumble and time will erase. Maybe I am being a little dramatic, but you understand. These pages are filled with things that have taken me a lifetime to learn. If you ever have second thoughts or need to think, come to this book. I love you my dearest and I always will no matter what.

Your dearest Daddy.


The pages were filled with cramped handwriting and sayings. Harry almost ran down the stairs to see someone about this. Harry knocked on Lupin’s door. Lupin answered. “Harry, what is it?” He asked.

“This,” Harry said giving the note to him.

Lupin smiled as he was reading. “Come in Harry,” He said letting him in.

“What does she mean?” Harry asked.

“Nicky’s father was a wizard as you know. He was pureblood, so it was a shock when he married a muggle. Nicky’s father was a Seer. It is said that Nicky got the gift herself. The school that she went to focused in on Divination and occlumency. Nicky was also able to commutate to Lisa Long anytime without even having to say anything. It was a telepathic sort of thing. Nicky was quite magical. No one really knows how she survived against Snape. Nicky came to Hogwarts on a mission, that mission was to protect you form Voldemort. Harry, you are the only one who can stop Voldemort. Nicky knew this and saw her own death. This was a risk she was willing to take. If all else failed, you would succeed. You are the only hope of the wizarding world’s survival. Times will get darker. Nicky saw into your future, but refused to tell us your fate. She said that we would know soon enough. Harry, Nicky did this for all wizards and muggles.” Lupin said.

“Nicky was an odd person. What does it mean, May we meet again?” Harry asked.

“I don’t know. Death reunites us all, but she wouldn’t have meant it like that,” Lupin said thoughtfully.

“What does; I will always be with you as long as you remember everything I taught you, mean?” Harry asked.

“I guess that whatever she told you will come in handy one day. I cannot understand until the end,” Lupin said.

“How can you not fear death?” Harry asked.

“Is that what you fear?” Lupin asked looking at him.

“Yes and no. I do fear death for the outcome, but I don’t because my life will have ended and I will be at peace,” Harry said.

“Do you really want life to end?” Lupin asked quietly.

“No! If I had a choice, I would be a normal sixteen year old with parents and no worries. I would have a reason to live then. Now it seems as if death would be blissful,” Harry said.

Lupin looked at him hardly. He face softened a bit as he thought. “I want you not to think like that. Yet, after what you have been through I see your point. Death would be a new adventure and it would hold no pain,” Lupin said.

“Hmm…” Harry said thinking.

“You wouldn’t want to leave your friends behind though. That includes me,” Lupin said smiling.

“Of course not, it’s just I feel like my life is a book. Before things can get better, they have to get a whole lot worse. Every new chapter is filled with laugher and tears. In the end of it, I hope for ‘And he lived happily ever after’. I don’t think that’s how it’ll end,” Harry said.

“Yes, I suppose so. Think about Nicky and her father’s wisdom. Maybe they can help you more than I can. Goodbye,” Lupin said.

“Thanks Professor, ‘Bye,” Harry said running out the door and into the common room.

“Where were you?” Ron asked.

Harry explained everything. “So, that’s that,” Hermione said.

“I guess it is,” Harry said.

The year was calm after that. No more deaths and no more pain. There is a time when all stories end. Nicky’s story ended after that. What did Nicky mean in her last letter? Could she really know something that will affect man-kind? We may never know, for this is the end.


A/N- It’s been a blast writing this story. It had to end sometime. I will not leave you hanging though. I will write a sequel- The Darkest Year EVER. Look for it soon, for now ponder on these questions. May we meet again.

EDIT: Sadly, we will not met again. Mugglenet is getting stricter on their rules and I can't stay logged in long enough to fix my problems. I also am very busy with my school work and my web site. I am so sorry. If you want a summary of what happens, feel free to e-mail me. Once more, sorry!

~School owl
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=4196