More than Friends by HPismylife4real
Summary: This story is obviously about Ron and Hermione, and them discovering their feelings for each other.
Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 4476 Read: 14576 Published: 11/28/04 Updated: 01/11/05

1. Questioning Your Feelings by HPismylife4real

2. An Interesting Walk by HPismylife4real

3. Lots Of Talking by HPismylife4real

4. "Come to your senses" by HPismylife4real

5. Love Unfolds by HPismylife4real

Questioning Your Feelings by HPismylife4real
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own a chia pet, hooker shoes, a gun, or any of these lovely characters.
Ron knew only one thing that hot afternoon, and it was driving him crazy. It was also a secret that was burning inside of him, totally enveloping his soul. This secret was so dangerous that not one person knew about it, and if it was exposed, could ruin a friendship.

Ron's head was swimming with thoughts of this one thing… about only one girl. This girl was his best friend, Hermione. He felt in his head that she could never feel the same way about him, but he wanted to know for sure. He planned on talking to her that evening in the Common Room, after everyone else had gone to bed.


Later, in Gryffindor Tower around 1 in the morning, the room was finally deserted except for two people. Ron glanced over at Hermione, who was as usual, absorbed in her homework. As Ron was staring, Hermione looked up suddenly and caught Ron's eyes. He quickly looked away as she smirked, and she began to read again. Ron took the risk of looking back up a minute later, and this time, it was Hermione's eyes that looked back at him. She closed her book, walked over and sat down next to Ron.

"Hey..." she whispered, smiling.
Ron smiled back at her as he rubbed his nose.
"Rough night?" she asked.
"Nah, just bored I suppose."
"Is my face that boring?" she questioned.
"No, of course not,” Ron replied hastily.
You have the most beautiful face I've ever seen he thought to himself.
“Oh, good to know,” Hermione responded. “Listen, Ron, I was wondering… by any chance… do you umm…”
“Yes?” Ron asked a little too hopefully.
She looked into his eyes for a moment before saying, “Do you have any spare parchment? I’ve used all mine up.”
“Yeah sure,” Ron told her, very disappointed. He reached over to his schoolbag to find some parchment. As he handed her some, their fingers slightly touched. They looked into each others eyes, and Hermione looked embarrassed.

Ron knew this was a good chance to tell Hermione his secret, when all of a sudden, Harry came down the stairs.
“Ouch!” Harry called out, stumbling on a step. Hermione took her parchment hastily, and went upstairs.
“Thanks a lot Harry!” Ron yelled as soon as Hermione was out of earshot. “You just ruined a moment between Hermione and myself."
“Really?” Harry said grinning. “Well, you’ve got my undivided attention. Spill your guts,” Harry commanded.
“Oops.” Ron muttered, knowing he couldn’t get Harry off his back until he told him everything. Ron began to tell Harry about when he first fell in love with Hermione. A few minutes later, Harry gave out a long sigh. Ron then knew he was in for it deep because of keeping this all a secret from his best friend, but Harry let him off easy by saying, “That’s quite a story, mate. But I’m glad for you, and I wish you all the best.” Harry then slapped Ron on the back.
“Very funny Harry. This is serious! How can you even think that Hermione would have any interest in me at all? She doesn’t care about me.”
“You don’t know that Ron, think positive. To tell you the truth, I’ve actually seen Hermione steal glances at you while you aren’t paying attention. I believe she fancies you.”

Yeah right… thought Ron.
Harry and Ron continued their conversation for a bit longer, and then went to bed. What they didn’t see was a girl sitting on the steps on the other side of the room, hidden from their view. When she saw that the boys had closed the door to their dormitory, Ginny quietly followed suit and went to bed, trying to remember every detail to tell Hermione the next morning.

Ron was up all during the night, tossing and turning in his bed. All he could concentrate on was Hermione.

Why did I let it happen? Of all the girls in the school, it had to be her.
An Interesting Walk by HPismylife4real
The next morning produced the brightest sun ever that month, and Hermione took that as a sign it was going to be a gorgeous day. Of course, all her homework was finished as usual, so she could now either visit the library to find a new book, study, or find Ginny, Harry, or Ron. Hermione soon decided to lounge in a chair and read her book. While in the middle of a fantastic chapter, Ron came down the stairs into the room.



As Ron looked up, he instantly thought

There she is. That’s the girl that I love, in every way, just as she is.
“Good morning Hermione!” stated Ron.

“Beautiful day isn’t it?” she replied.

“Yeah, it is. What have you got there?”

“Oh, I’m just reading. It’s about how the muggles discovered electricity.”

“Right, must be very interesting then. Do you think you could spare a few minutes? Maybe… take a walk with me outside?” Ron pleaded.

“Sure, I’d…” started Hermione. Just then, Ginny came running down the stairs, and collapsed into the chair next to Hermione.

“Hermione, I need to talk to you!” Ginny exclaimed, not even acknowledging Ron.

“Hi to you too Ginny.” Ron muttered.

“Skeeze off. Can’t you see I’m busy?” retaliated Ginny.

“Maybe later Ginny, your brother and I were just about to head outside for a walk. Is it terribly important?”

“Sort of. I need to speak to you in private when you have the chance.” Ginny explained.

“Sure thing, right when I get back. Ready Ron?” asked Hermione. He nodded at her.

And with that, they went through the Fat Lady’s portrait, past the Great Hall, and out into the beautiful outdoors.

Birds were chirping in nearby trees, and the Great Lake looked pleasant and cool. Some students were busy chatting or playing games in the shade.



Walking down the path to the Quidditch field, Ron and Hermione were busying themselves talking about the holidays that were coming up. Hermione’s hand ever so slightly brushed against Ron’s, and they both moved apart. They were then silent for a while; each thinking about how such a tiny little thing like brushing hands would make them feel awkward. After all, they had been good friends for 5 long years now.



Just ask her. Ask her what she felt when you brushed her hand. Then you’ll know if you have a prayer Ron thought.
What he didn’t know, was that Hermione was thinking the exact same thought.

“What happened just now?” they both said at the same time. Hermione laughed, and Ron felt very nervous.

“I asked you first,” Hermione stated.

“Well, what I think, is that this day is too nice not to be playing some Quidditch. What do you say? Shall we go round up Harry, Fred, George, and Oliver?” Ron asked.

“Yeah, sure. Sounds like fun!” So they headed back up to the Common Room.






Meanwhile, up in the castle, Ginny had already found Harry and was busy trying to get help from him.



"What can we do to get them together?" she said.

"Hang on, we don't even know if they are interested in each other."

"WHAT? Are you NUTS? OF COURSE they like each other. Have you seen them together? They never take their eyes off the other, and when one catches the other, they get all embarassed. If that isn't a crush, then I don't know what is," Ginny said very matter of factly.

She does have a point there. Maybe she's right… Harry thought.
Ginny and Harry were still discussing this when Ron and Hermione came in, looking extremely angry with another.



"Just do me a favor, and never speak to me ever again!" Hermione yelled at Ron. She then sprinted out of the room, crying. Ginny glared at Ron before following after Hermione. She could see in Ron's face that he had said something stupid.



"Don't even say anything Ginny," Ron demanded. "I know I'm the world's stupidest prat. And Harry, just forget what I said. Hermione is the last person I would ever want to be with." Ron walked back out through the portrait while Harry just sat there dumbfounded.
Lots Of Talking by HPismylife4real
Harry rose and quickly followed Ron upstairs into their dormitory, and sat down on Ron’s bed next to him. Harry had no idea where to begin. How could a twenty minute walk with Hermione cause them to become so upset?

“Ron… wanna tell me what’s up? Or do I have to summon Voldemort to hex it out of you?” Harry jokingly questioned his best friend.
Ron looked up, and Harry could tell that this wasn’t good.
“Look, whatever it is, I’ll help you through it. I think we both know Hermione well enough to figure out what crazy thing she’s said to you this time,” Harry offered.
“It’s not that big of a deal,” Ron mumbled.
Not that big of a deal? Then that was a pretty rotten thing to say down there if it’s no big deal.”
“No… that’s not what I meant. That is what Hermione told me when I asked her how she felt for me to hold her hand. While we were walking outside just now, I thought that I was ready to tell her how I feel. So, at the moment, I thought I should hold her hand, so I did. And then after I asked her what she thought.” Ron explained.
Oh man. Ouch! Way to hut someone’s pride Hermione. Harry thought to himself.
“Hmm, that’s odd. Anything else?” Harry asked.
“Yeah, there’s something else. I really like her, you know? I just can’t figure out how to get her to feel the same way about me.”
“It doesn’t work that way mate, you can’t force someone to like you. Have you ever considered the possibility that Hermione actually does like you? Maybe, she’s just insecure or confused right now because of your sudden emotions. Or perhaps she is unsure of how to express her feelings for you, and maybe, just maybe, she thought you didn’t like her, and would make fun of her for asking you the very same question that you just asked her.” Harry said.
Ron pondered all of this for a moment before he opened his mouth to speak. “Guess I’m more clueless than I thought. I have a lot to think about right now Harry, do you mind?” Ron begged.
Harry got up and left the room without another word, just a reassuring wink as he closed the door behind him.



On the way down, Harry was suddenly pulled by the arm and dragged down the steps leading from the bedrooms. Hermione whispered to him, “Come with me!”
They made their way to Ginny, who was sitting in a chair with two empty chairs facing hers.
“Sit down please Harry.” Ginny commanded. Harry did as she asked, feeling odd that they wanted to talk to him.

“Before anyone starts talking,” Harry began, “I would just like to say, that I spoke with Ron, and I believe he sees what a git he’s been. Give him a bit to cool off, and then talk to him, Hermione.”
“Well, that may be, but I would still like to speak with you first Harry.” Hermione stated. “Okay. I like Ron. I really, really do. But you two have to understand something… what Ron and I feel towards each other is personal and special, so I would prefer if you would let us handle this on our own. If we decide to do anything about it that is.”

Ginny had a hurt look on her face, and though she heard what Hermione said, she didn’t quite like it. She and Hermione had shared loads of secrets before. After all, it was Ginny who was the first to know that Hermione was going to the Yule Ball last year with Viktor Krum.
Hermione could tell by the look in Ginny’s eyes that she was going to have a hard time with this, but that she would of course respect Hermione’s decision. In fact, Ginny said these same words out loud.
“Hermione, you know that I am going to have a difficult time adjusting to this, but I will respect your decision, as I’m your friend.”
“So will I,” Harry affirmed.
“Phew! Glad that’s over. Now… ” Hermione started.
“Upstairs in our bedroom, you know which bed.” Harry finished, knowing what Hermione was thinking. She didn’t need another word, she was off.



Hermione quietly knocked on the door to Ron and Harry’s bedroom. She strained to hear a voice from inside beckoning her to come in.

However, Ron was inside, trying to forget all about Hermione. He heard a soft knock, and could instantly tell it was her behind the door.
This can’t be good. What did I do now? Ron thought.
He jumped off his bed, and walked over to the door. He hesitated as his hand reached the doorknob. He then jumped a little as Hermione knocked again, irritated.

Ron opened the door, and looked straight into the eyes of his best friend and crush. They just stared into each other’s eyes for a moment, before Ron broke the silence. He cleared his throat a little, and said, “Yes Hermione? Did you need me for something?”
More than anything she thought.
Hermione paused for a second before mumbling, "What have I gotten myself into?” and then she laughed to herself. Ron just stood there with a dead serious look on his face.

Hermione took in a big, deep breath, and looked down at the carpet. “Anyway, I just came up here to talk about what happened earlier… outside. I wasn’t thinking, and it was terribly rude of me, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it when I said it didn’t matter to me if you were holding my hand or not. What I meant to say, and what I’ve been wanting to tell you for a long time, is that it means a lot to me. More than you know. The fact is, I like you a lot too Ron!” She now risked looking up at Ron, but she couldn’t tell what he was thinking.

“Hermione… you know… you’re a funny person. I’ve actually been under the impression that you like Harry, and your answer to my question earlier confirmed my theory, so I don’t know what to say. You really hurt me saying that. It was like… I meant nothing to you. And now… you come in here, and claim that you like me. I don’t know about you. I can’t turn my feelings off and on like the way you do.”
Hermione sighed. “Ron. I was scared alright? I’ve always meant to tell you, and when you grabbed my hand like that, I was feeling like you are… I felt there was no way you could have done because you like me. But now I know the truth, and you know the truth too.” Hermione pleaded, taking a step closer to him. “Please forgive me.”

Ron leaned back and put up his hands to stop her. “I don’t know. I’ll have to sleep on it.”
“Sure. Whatever you want Ron. Take as long as you like.” Hermione turned slowly and left, sadly closing the door behind her. As she leaned against the outside, a tear ran down her cheek. Never before in her life had she felt so clueless and alone.
"Come to your senses" by HPismylife4real
Hermione thought it would be best to inform Harry and Ginny what had just happened. So she waltzed down to them and after explaining everything that went on, she got up to leave and said, “Just forget it guys. It’s hopeless. Thanks for trying to help though.”

Harry and Ginny watched her leave the Common Room through the portrait hole, and they heard to Fat Lady squeal, “What’s the trouble dear? Is it about a boy?” to which Hermione replied, “What else?” and she silently slipped through the hole as it closed behind her.

“What are we going to do Harry? I know you think just as I do that they should be together.” Ginny stated. Harry was thinking about the same thing just then, but he didn’t know if his idea would be any good.
“Listen… if I know Ron like I think I do, what would make him crazier about Hermione than ever?”
“I don’t know Harry, seeing her with another guy perhaps?”
Exactly. I think it would work, because it killed me inside last year to see Cho with Cedric. But first, let’s go talk to Ron again, see if he’s right in the head yet.” Harry said.
“Okay. But Harry…” Ginny started, but Harry had already grabbed her arm. They were headed towards Ron who was coming down the stairs. Ron looked at the two, and he immediately stopped. He knew that if they saw him, they would corner him and try to talk to him about what happened between him and Hermione.

“Ron!” Harry yelled, “We need to talk to you!”
Oh great, just what I need right now. Why can’t I ever have a moment’s peace?




Ron walked in between Harry and Ginny as they wandered about outdoors just outside the Forbidden Forest. It was a nice sunny and warm day, and as the trio walked around the Hogwarts Grounds, Ron couldn’t help but think about Hermione.
I wish Hermione was here talking with me, instead of these two. But it doesn’t matter anymore. She thinks I’m just a big git now.
“Ron? RON? Are you even listening to us at all? I think we’ve lost him Ginny,” Harry said, annoyed.
“Ron, the least you could do is pay attention and actually listen to what we have to say. This is for your own good you know. We’re not doing this for ourselves you know.” Ginny said.
“You’re right about that Ginny, and an ‘I’m sorry, I’ll listen now’ from you might be nice Ron,” Harry kidded.
“Sorry Harry. And I will listen, I promise.” Ron repeated back.

“Good. Now, come to your senses! Please Ron, you’re driving us all mad with your stupidity. Now, let me see if I have this right. So. Hermione comes in to talk to you about what happened on your walk outside, and you basically tell her off, and accuse her of have feelings for me? Ron, what’s wrong with you?” Harry questioned.
“Nothing’s wrong with me Harry. How would you feel, if every time you looked into your best friend’s eyes, and you could only see her looking else where, especially at your other best friend?” Ron stated.
“What are you talking about Ron?”
“Damnit Harry, …you. Because that is exactly what I see every single damn time I look at her. She’s looking not at me. She’s looking at you. How do you expect me to welcome and trust her feelings for me whole heartedly, when I’ve never seen the way she looks at me. I’ve only seen the way she looks at you. I didn’t believe her Harry. I couldn’t believe her when she said , ‘The fact is, I like you a lot too Ron.’ How was I suppose to accept that? TELL ME.” Ron shouted.

“Ron, I had no idea. Please believe me, I always knew that Hermione liked you,” Harry told Ron.
“Yeah, whatever. How am I suppose to know you’re telling the truth, huh? I can’t trust anyone now.”
“Ron, stop being ridiculous. I’m your best friend, you’re able to trust me. If you can’t even allow yourself to confide in me, then I don’t know who you could. But, because you’re very frustrated and emotional right now, I am going to leave you alone to think some more. Trust your heart Ron, you’ll know what’s right.” Harry took off towards the Castle, as he’d had enough.
“Harry’s right you know” Ginny said, following suit after Harry.
Ron was left in the forest all alone, and feeling quite deserted. He considered going to find Hermione, but before he could, Hermione came walking out in front of the tree she was hiding behind.

“Hey.” she said with a wave of her hand.
“My gosh… can anything else go wrong today?” Ron shouted to the sky.
“Ron, stop being over dramatic. That’s part of your problem you know. You take things so seriously, and you over dramatize everything.”
“That’s ridiculous Hermione, I don’t dramatize everything I say.”
“Yes you do, you just did it.”
“No, I did not.”
“Yes… you did.”
“No I don’t. You know what’s your problem Hermione? You just love to argue with everyone. All you do with me is argue. And I really wish you wouldn’t. It just creates tension between us.”
“We’re fighting like an old married couple.” Hermione chuckled.
Ron stepped forward and reached for Hermione’s hands. He held them in front of his chest, and looked straight into her eyes.
“Hermione Granger. You are without a doubt, the most amazing and wonderful girl I’ve ever met. Though you’re also very troublesome, but that’s what I love about you. You keep things interesting, every day is new with you. I only said what I did because I was angry at you, and I wanted you to hurt as badly as I was hurting.”
“I know.”
“But I take it all back, everything mean I’ve ever said to you. Do you think you could find it in you to ever forgive me for how horrible I’ve been?”
“Yes, but there’s something else I have to tell you.”
“What is it? You know you can tell me anything Hermione.”
“I love you.”
Love Unfolds by HPismylife4real
Ron tightened his grip on Hermione’s hands. Gazing into her eyes, he said, “I love you too. Everything about you.”
Hermione beamed and confessed, “It’s so nice to hear you say that. I can’t believe I didn’t tell you this earlier.”
“Hermione, it’s like I told just before. You know you can tell me anything. I sincerely mean it.” Ron told her, as he reached behind her back. She instinctively pulled away, but Ron’s forcefulness brought her closer and he pulled her in. He stroked her cheek softly before reaching down for her mouth, and he kissed her deeply.

Hermione felt her knees buckle underneath her, but Ron pulled her up with his big, strong, caring hands. They broke apart, and just stared into each other’s eyes. “Too fast?” Ron questioned.
Hermione grinned at him, and said, “Yeah, a little. But that’s ok.”
“Damn. I’ve messed up already, I always misread your signals.” Ron teased her and poked her in the ribs playfully.
“Anyway… I really do have something to tell you though.”
“What?”
“I love you,” she said again. “And I forgive you. That’s all,” she told him.
“Well good, because if you didn’t forgive me, I would just have to…”
“Have to what?” Hermione interrupted.
“I would have to kiss you again” Ron joked.
“Oh?” She questioned. Hermione stood on her tiptoes and kissed Ron again, as he wrapped his arms around her waist and just held her. They stood there in silence for a moment, just feeling each other’s presence.

Hermione couldn’t believe what had just happened. She wondered how long Ron had liked her, because surely these couldn’t have been newly developed feelings. She considered asking him about it, but when she looked up at Ron, he wasn’t looking back, but behind her. As they were still outside by the forest, Hermione suddenly felt very scared.

“Ron, what are you staring at?” Hermione questioned.
“Nothing, just keep walking. Don’t look back, whatever you do,” Ron said in a very serious tone. Hermione obeyed him without question, and she grabbed his hand for the extra feeling of protection.
“Ron, I’m scared.”
“I know, but hush...” They stopped, and Ron brought her down in a playful tackle.
“Ron, you gave me a fright! I thought it was something serious. Don’t ever do that to me again!” Hermione yelped and gave him a slap on the arm.
Ron couldn’t help but laugh. Hermione was so predictable to him.
“Sorry, I couldn’t resist!” Ron confessed.

The two chased after one another all the way back up to the castle. By then it was lunchtime. Ron and Hermione decided to eat together, before finishing up their homework for the weekend. Surprisingly enough, Hermione had convinced Ron that he needed to actually do it before midnight on Sunday. Lunch that day consisted of roast turkey, pumpkin juice, mashed potatoes, and a fresh salad. Ron helped himself to a second helping of the potatoes, and afterwards they returned to the common room.

Ron plopped himself down in the nearest chair, and exclaimed, “Man am I stuffed,” quite loudly, giving an appreciative belch. Harry looked up from across the room, and gave a little smirk.

“Really Ron, if you can’t behave then I’m leaving,” Hermione threatened. She knew perfectly well that this comment would have no affect on her best friend, but she said it anyway. Ron showed her how much he cared by pretending to be asleep on his chair. To add a special effect, he began to snore.
“You’re so pathetic,” Hermione said as she passed by him, rolling her eyes.


Out of nowhere, Ron’s leg shot out faster than a bullet, and tripped Hermione. He quickly “awoke” and watched as Hermione yelped, tumbling down to the floor. Ron leaped up and had his arms around her waist just moments before she touched the carpet. They fell to the floor, and rolled over laughing hysterically. Hermione leaned over, and gave a small peck on Ron’s left cheek. He blushed furiously.
“Well, I can see this relationship is working,” Hermione kidded.

Ron retorted that he agreed, and kissed her gently on the nose.
Harry whispered over to Ginny, “I think this thing might actually work out for the best. Don’t you think?”
“Well, it certainly seems so.”
“Thanks for the support Ginny,” said Ron. All four of them smiled, and broke into a fit of laughter.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=4200