First Year by joanna
Summary: This story is about the Marauders' first year, how they met, what they did to become so close friends. In the first chapter we meet Sirius and James on the Hogwarts Express and we can get a glimpse of Remus and Peter. Bella makes an appearance too. Many thanks to Nikki, my Beta!
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 6117 Read: 7580 Published: 01/16/06 Updated: 03/18/06

1. On The Hogwarts Express by joanna

2. The Sorting Ceremony by joanna

3. The First Day by joanna

On The Hogwarts Express by joanna
On the Hogwarts Express


People hurried up and down the platforms, some boarding trains, some waiting for returning friends or family members. No one seemed to pay too much attention to a boy with messy hair, who stood between Platforms nine and ten looking down at the parchment in his hands.

“Platform nine and three-quarters,” he murmured and then looked up from the letter.

He turned back and looked around the railway station. He couldn’t see a platform with the number nine and three-quarters. His gaze fell upon his parents; they looked at him with an all-knowing smile.

“Your mother will show you how to do it,” his father reassured him, as he placed his hand gently on his son’s shoulder.

His mother smiled at him, and then quickened her steps, leaned against the wall between platform nine and ten and then¯ she was gone. James blinked two times, but his mother was still gone. He had grown up with magic, but this was new for him.

“Come on, James! This is the beginning of a wonderful journey,” his father said, putting his arms around his son’s shoulders.

“What if I don’t like it?” the boy asked.

“You’ll like it, son,” his father said, the smile still lingering on his lips, but then he became sober. “Write to your mother regularly, boy!” he warned with a squeeze on James’s shoulder.

“Yes, Father,” James said dutifully and then looked at his owl, Lux. He had got it for his eleventh birthday. It was a gift from his favorite uncle.

“Come on now!” his father said and ushered him towards the wall.

James made a bolt for it, and then fell out at the other end. A red, steaming engine towered above him and as he looked around, after getting up, he could see the whole train. Students bade farewell to their parents and climbed onto the train. His mother waited not far from the wall and his father soon joined them. As he looked back, a family arrived through the wall. The boy was tall and handsome; the mother wore a worried expression on her face; and the young daughter, who was around five, was looking around curiously.

“Where is he?” she wanted to know.

Her mother turned around and around and then suddenly her face broke into a smile. She looked now simply beautiful. James could see a boy hurrying towards them. He was tall, had handsome features and a slightly pale complexion. His jet-black hair was short, but some strands fell into his face. He was smiling too.

“Sirius!” squealed the little girl, and the boy bent down and gave her a kiss and a hug.

“How is my favorite cousin?” the boy asked, jokingly.

“I’m fine, thanks,” she said with a mischievous smile playing on her lips.

“James,” his mother required his attention.

“Yes, Mother?” he said and turned to her immediately.

“Write, please, as soon as possible,” his mother said while caressing his face.

James saw from the corner of his eyes that the boy was staring at them. The boy named Sirius wore a wistful expression and James thought he understood why.

“Come now, Jasmine!” his father said and put his arm around his wife’s shoulders. “Goodbye, James!”

“Goodbye, Father!” he said, took his father’s outstretched hand and shook it.

He hugged his mother and then took his trunk and Lux’s cage, turned away from them, and hurried to the train. They talked it over, and James decided he didn’t want a long goodbye scene on the platform.

“But he is so young,” he heard his mother and then his father: “He will be fine, Jasmine.”

He was halfway down the already full train as he heard steps next to him.

“Hello!” the boy from before greeted him.

“Hello!” he returned the greeting.

“You’re looking for a compartment to sit in?” Sirius asked and continued after James’ nod. “There’s one at the very end of the train, if you want to sit with me,” he offered.

“Thanks,” James said and then hurried alongside the boy towards the end of the train. They climbed in, and no one else was sitting there.

“My cousin is a Prefect, he has to patrol the train, but he will join us later,” Sirius informed James.

James heaved his trunk onto the luggage rack and then took place next to the window. The boy sat down opposite to him. James stretched out his hand.

“Hello, my name is James Potter,” he said, smiling slightly.

“Sirius Black,” the boy introduced himself. “Those were your parents?”

“Yes.”

“Fine people,” he said, that longing expression reappearing on his face.

“Yes, they are,” James agreed. “Your owl looks pretty,” he complimented, pointing at the cage.

“His name is Mercurius, a gift from my cousin,” Sirius explained.

“The little girl or the boy?” James asked.

“No, not from Alcyone or Prometheus, but from their mother, Mira,” Sirius replied.

“Your cousin?” James asked, perplexed.

“My mother and her mother are sisters,” Sirius explained.

“I see. They have interesting names,” he remarked.

“A family tradition,” Sirius stated.

“And what do you call Alcyone or Prometheus?” James asked, curiosity taking the best of him.

“Ally, and mostly Theus. If you really want to annoy the hell out of him, call him his full name: Prometheus Jethro Mill,” he added with a smirk.

“He is a Prefect, you say? How does one become perfect?” he asked curiously.

“You are made a Prefect when you are perfect. No, I’m only joking. He had top grades and did much for his house. You know about the houses, don’t you?”

“Yes, of course. My father was in Gryffindor, my mum in Ravenclaw,” he said before sighing.

He knew that one of them“ or maybe both of them- would be disappointed after this evening. Sirius nodded understandingly.

“Theus is in Ravenclaw, his mother was in Ravenclaw, too.”

James was aware that until that point Sirius didn’t mention his parents at all. He assumed now that they are dead.

“Which house do you belong?” he asked.

Sirius laughed out loud as an answer. He had an interesting laugh, as if a big dog had barked.

“You think I’m second year?” he could finally ask back, after his laugh subsided.

“To tell the truth, third year,” James confessed.

“I’m first year, just like you,” Sirius said, letting out a laugh again.

“No way!” James exclaimed incredulously.

“But I am,” Sirius asserted. “Do you have a brother or sister?” he asked suddenly.

“No, I don’t have any siblings. What about you?” James asked back.

“A younger brother named Regulus,” he said, sounding downright bitter.

“And where is he now?” James asked, curiously.

“He is with my parents, in London,” Sirius told him with a dark undertone.

“How come your parents weren’t there?” James spoke faster as he could think. “Sorry, that’s not my business. I didn’t want to sound judging or¯”

“Never mind! Truth is I’ve told them that I’d like to be in Gryffindor house. So they got angry and decided that I wasn’t worth a good-bye.”

“They were in¯?”

“Slytherin, of course,” Sirius said with a bitter smile.

The door slid open and a girl stepped in, with two big girls in tow. She had jet-black hair and cold blue eyes. She seemed to James somewhat familiar.

“Cousin, I’ve heard you are here,” she said.

“Sod off, Bella,” Sirius hissed.

“And you are?” the girl asked after turning to James.

“None of your business, Bella!” Sirius answered the question.

“You’ll be in Slytherin, cousin! Watch your tone; I’ll be your Prefect.”

“I won’t be in Slytherin and even if I should be, I don’t care.”

After the girl left the compartment with a threatening glare and the two girls in tow, James looked at Sirius questioningly.

“Who was that?”

“Bellatrix Black, a cousin of mine,” he explained.

The door slid open once again and the man with the trolley looked inside.

“Cauldron Cakes, Chocolate Frogs?” he offered.

Sirius bought Cauldron Cakes, Chocolate Frogs and Pumpkin Juice. James looked at the trolley and then bought two Chocolate Frogs.

“Aren’t you hungry?” Sirius offered him Cauldron Cakes, but James shook his head.

“No. We had breakfast at the Leaky Cauldron,” James explained.

“I haven’t eaten anything this day. Never have a quarrel with your parents during breakfast, James,” he advised with a smirk.

James smirked back and then pulled owl treat out of his pocket.

“Would you give something to Mercurius, too? I have forgotten to buy him owl treats.”

“Of course,” James said, nodding, and then put the food into the cages.

Mercurius and Lux hooted gratefully. James tore his Chocolate Frog open and looked at the card.

“Paracelsus, again,” he sighed.

Sirius tore his open and peered inside.

“Merlin,” he announced before opened the other ones.

“Morgana and Da Vinci.”

“You want Paracelsus?” James asked him, seeing the way Sirius looked at the card.

“I did have him, but I gave it to Ally. Theus told me he comes quite often, but since that this is the first I have seen.”

“Here,” James said and handed him the card.

“I have three Da Vinci’s. Do you want this one?” Sirius offered.

“Yes, thanks,” James said. “I’ll look into this, too,” he said, picking up his other Chocolate Frog.

“And? Who is it?” Sirius asked curiously.

“Dumbledore,” James informed him.

“I don’t have him,” Sirius whispered, as if it was something to be ashamed of.

“Come on! He must come more often than Paracelsus!” James exclaimed.

“I had four of him, but my father found them and destroyed the cards,” Sirius admitted.

“But why?” James asked perplexed.

“He hates Dumbledore. Don’t know why, but he truly hates him.”

“Here,” James said and handed him the card.

“Thanks, but I don’t have any to give in exchange.”

“It’s all right; I have about 250 cards, Sirius,” James reassured him.

“Thanks.”

Slowly the sky got darker, and the landscape rougher. They were chatting about Quidditch when Theus joined them. Sirius introduced James to him and told him that James might be in his house, because his mother was in Ravenclaw.

“Really? My mother too,” Theus said.

“Sirius already told me,” James told Theus and smiled at Sirius.

“And your father?” Theus asked James.

“Gryffindor, yours?” James replied.

“My father is a Muggle,” Theus informed James, smiling. “I saw Bella heading this way. Was she here?” he asked Sirius.

“Yes,” his cousin nodded.

“You haven’t provoked her, have you, Sirius?” Theus asked with a wary sigh.

“Of course not!” Sirius cried indignantly. “She provoked me. She told me no matter what I want, I would be in Slytherin and she would be my Prefect.”

“I have already told her not to bother you, but I see now I wasn’t rude enough. I don’t care; we’ll win this year’s Quidditch Cup.”

“You play Quidditch?” James asked the older boy.

“Yeah,” Theus said proudly.

“He is Ravenclaw’s captain, James. If you want to be on a Quidditch team watch out for him. Especially when you are on the other team,” Sirius added, grinning.

“I’ll remember that,” James said, smirking at Theus.

Theus went on patrolling and they were left alone again. Five minutes later the door slid open. Sirius looked at the intruder annoyed, but then saw that it wasn’t Bella. A sandy blond haired boy stepped in. Behind him there was another boy, looking anxious. He was short and round faced.

“Hello!” the sandy-haired boy greeted them. “Have you, by any chance, seen a toad?” he inquired in a calm voice.

“A toad?” James asked taken aback.

“Yes. He hopped this way. Peter lost him,” he said, pointing at the worried boy.

“No, we haven’t seen any toads, have we?” James looked at Sirius questioningly.

“No, some extra big cockroaches, but no toads,” Sirius joked.

“Thanks. By the way, my name is Remus Lupin,” he introduced himself and stretched out his hand.

“Nice to meet you,” James responded and shook the offered hand. “I’m James Potter.”

Remus turned to Sirius, who stretched out his hand too.

“Sirius Black,” he introduced himself.

“Nice to meet you. I’ll get going; we have to find that toad. If he should hop by, would you be so kind and hold him till we get him?”

“Sure,” James assured with a nod and saw as the boy closed the door of the compartment.

“Quite polite, that boy,” Sirius summed up their thoughts.

“Yes, the other one could have introduced at least,” James said.

“Yes. Maybe he was frightened of us,” Sirius said, laughing.

James joined him, and then they turned back to their conversation. Theus came and told them to change into their school robes since they were arriving in ten minutes.



TBC
Please leave a review!
The Sorting Ceremony by joanna
The Sorting Ceremony


Sirius and James stood next to each other as Professor McGonagall stepped into the room where they were waiting to be admitted into the Great Hall. They were looking around, taking in everything they saw.

“Quiet now! Line up, please. Mr. Pettigrew, fasten your robes. Miss Malkin, put away that mirror. Mr. Potter,” she said, turning to James, “do something about your hair, please.”

“Would like to, Professor, but I never succeed,” he answered, and he noticed at once that he did something unusual. He looked at the face of the Professor and had the instant feeling that no one ever talked back to her. Well, as his mother used to say, there is always a first time.

They marched inside, and James felt every eye staring at them. An old three-legged stool stood in the middle of the room and a ragged hat lay on top of it. Looking at the teacher’s table, his gaze met the Headmaster’s eyes. Dumbledore looked straight into his eyes, and James felt as if the Professor was able to read his soul. He saw that Dumbledore’s gaze shifted and now was fixed on Sirius. James wanted to talk about this with Sirius, but saw that Professor McGonagall was looking right at him. He knew he would have plenty of time for talking later. Instead of conversing with Sirius, he looked at the other teachers. There was a tiny little wizard he found interesting. He looked away and saw someone standing in the corner. It was the big gamekeeper, who transported the first years here with boats. He wondered why he wasn’t seated among the teachers.

Professor Dumbledore rose to speak, and the chatter in the hall died away. He announced that the Sorting Ceremony would soon begin, and really it took off some seconds later with the Sorting Hat’s song. After the Hat finished, Professor McGonagall unrolled her parchment and read the first name of the list: “Ackerley, Flavia!”

A girl with long, jet-black hair stumbled forward and sat down onto the stool. The Professor placed the Hat onto her head and it barely touched it, a shout rang through the hall: “Slytherin!”

McGonagall read the next name, and a girl named Tamara Aiken became a Gryffindor. Two girls, identical twins, became Ravenclaws, and then came Sirius.

“Black, Sirius!” Professor McGonagall shouted, and with firm steps Sirius walked to the stool, took place, and waited for McGonagall to place the Hat onto his head. He sat there for almost three minutes before it shouted: “hmmSlytherin!”

Sirius couldn’t believe his ears when the Hat announced his destiny, and was still sitting on the stool for at least a minute, before standing up. He looked at James and then at the Slytherin table. He walked over to the table and went to the far end. James saw Bella grinning at Sirius, and saw that his friend’s anger almost got the best of him. Meanwhile the Sorting went on. Finally, Sirius sat down and followed the Sorting with mild interest. After he took his place at the Slytherin table, a nervous looking, red-haired girl, by the signs no doubt a Muggle-born, got sorted into Gryffindor.

Professor McGonagall was halfway down her list when she called: “Lupin, Remus John!”

James saw the friendly boy climb the chair, and McGonagall placed the Hat on his head. Before disappearing under the Hat’s brim, the boy shot a last look towards Sirius. Remus Lupin sat there for almost two minutes before the Hat could decide. Finally his verdict came: “Ravenclaw!”

Remus looked longingly at the Gryffindor table, and then back at Sirius, while the Professor cited the next person to step forward. Medley, Peony became a Hufflepuff and the Sorting continued. James watched as the crowd of the first years thinned, until there were no more than six of them: the round faced boy who had lost his toad, three nervous looking girls, a boy with greasy black hair, and himself.

“Pettigrew, Peter!” Minerva McGonagall shouted, and Peter hurried to the stool. He sat there only a moment, before he was sorted into Hufflepuff.

“Potter, James Avery!” James’s name finally came.

The Hat barely touched his hair before sorting him. Soon after that, he was sitting at Gryffindor table. James saw the Headmaster watching Sirius and then his gaze wandered over to James. The old man’s eyes glinted and the corner of his mouth twitched. James didn’t know that it would take him years to get to know what that smile meant. Meanwhile, the black-haired boy was sorted into Slytherin and went to sit opposite Sirius.

From the three girls two went to Ravenclaw and one to Hufflepuff. Finally, Professor Dumbledore rose to speak again.

“Well, welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! I am delighted to introduce you two new teachers: Arnaldo Este, our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Furthermore, I’d like you to meet Branwyn Brandubh, our new Flying Instructor. And now, tuck in!”

Sirius was looking around; he had other things on mind than dinner. He was feeling miserable. Not only because he wasn’t in Gryffindor, but because his parents were right. He looked at the faces around his table and met Bella’s gaze. Sirius saw something there. He couldn’t quite put a finger on it, but it was there. He looked over at James, who shot him a comforting look and indicated that he should eat. Sirius did some reluctant movements with his fork, but then his plate disappeared. He wasn’t disappointed; he really didn’t feel like eating.

After dinner, the Headmaster rose again and gave his full speech.

“And now that we are fed, I would like to bring some rules to your attention. The Forbidden Forest is out of bounds to every student. Mr. Swift, our caretaker will present the list of forbidden activities between lessons at request. Jinxes, hexes and such are not allowed in the corridors. Quidditch Tryouts will be held on the coming Friday. Everyone wanting to participate should apply to their Head of House or to Miss Brandubh. And now, we will sing the school song!”

Sirius almost laughed at the reaction on the faces. Even the teachers couldn’t hide their true feelings. The gamekeeper left the room swiftly, and when Sirius looked at Bella, he saw that she didn’t like the prospect of singing either.

After the song ended, the students filed out of the Great Hall. James lagged behind and signalled Sirius that he wanted to speak to him.

“We meet here at half past eight. I want to tell you something!”

Sirius nodded and reluctantly followed Bella and the other Slytherin Prefect to the dungeons where their dormitory was located.

“The password is: Nocturnus venit,” she told them and then threw a piercing look at one of the first years. “And don’t forget it; I don’t want to change it a lot. And under no circumstances are you going to tell someone the secret password! Do that and you’ll have to bear the consequences!” She looked at Sirius incisively. “Good. Get in then and settle,” Bella told them, before stepping into the Common Room.

Sirius hated the place even before seeing it, and now he loathed it. It looked a great deal like his home. He went into his dormitory, which he shared with other two Slytherin boys, unpacked his trunk, and then sat down, thinking about his situation. He looked at the clock on the wall and hurried out of the room cautiously, trying not to make anyone suspicious.

“Where are you going, Black?” Bella asked, noticing him striding out.

“I forgot my hat in the Great Hall. I want to go back for it,” Sirius explained.

“Go on, then!” she said and ushered him out.

Sirius arrived a bit out of breath; James was already waiting for him. They looked at each other without a word, and that moment really sealed their friendship forever.

“Are you disappointed?” James asked with concern.

“I’m outrageously angry! Bella knows something, and that means there is something to know.”

“But what?”

“Maybe the Hat was bewitched or¯” he speculated, but was interrupted by an unfamiliar voice.

“The Sorting Hat cannot be bewitched. I’ve read it in one of my new books,” a girl’s voice imparted. They wheeled around at the same time and spotted a little girl standing there, clasping a hat to her chest.

“Who are you?” Sirius asked alarmed, but then saw the crest with the lion upon the red-haired girl’s robes and sighed with relief. He didn’t know why, but he imagined he had nothing to fear of where a Gryffindor was concerned.

“My name is Lily Evans,” she introduced herself. She stretched out her hand hesitantly, but Sirius didn’t take it.

“What are you doing here in the night?” he inquired.

“I left my hat in the Great Hall,” said Lily withdrawing her hand, but Sirius looked at her befuddled after she told him this. Had she been to the dungeons? But that surely cannot be!

James looked around apprehensively and then glanced at Sirius. Sirius nodded, he understood the nonverbal signal.

“What are you planning to do?” Lily asked.

“Evans, you stay out of it!” James ordered her.

He later told Sirius that this was the sentence that most bothered him in their seventh year. For everything else he could forgive himself, but he could’ve kicked his younger self for not taking the opportunity to be friends with Lily Evans. Lily looked hurt; she glanced at Sirius once again, but then strode off, never looking back.

“That was rude, I know. But we could be spotted, and I wanted her out of the way,” James explained.

“You mean, out of trouble,” Sirius corrected him.

“Yes, that too. She is¯”

“You like her?” Sirius interrupted him.

“I barely know her, Sirius. And now back to our¯” he started, but then heard the unmistakable sounds of two people drawing nearer. He pulled Sirius into a shadowy corner.

“Albus, I always know when I see a true Gryffindor. And Sirius Black was- is a Gryffindor! I pride myself with never failing to predict who will become a new Gryffindor. There was something foul!” she cried out.

“Only in Sirius’s case?” the Headmaster asked back.

“Well, to tell the truth I was disappointed to see Mr. Lupin in Ravenclaw, but I guess he can live with that. But Slytherin instead of Gryffindor, Albus? And he already got a friend, that Potter boy. We have to do something.”

“We could never sufficiently prove it, Minerva. I certainly will do everything in my might, but I deem that there is no sure way for success. The boy himself would be able to do the most.”

“You mean acceptance and integration?” McGonagall asked back, barely withholding her anger.

“No. Fight for it, of course,” Dumbledore told his Transfiguration professor and looked back at the corner, where Sirius and James were standing, looking at each other with utter bewilderment on their faces.

“What was that?” Sirius finally asked.

“A signal. You have to fight, and I’ll help you,” James offered at once.

“It will be hard,” Sirius mused aloud.

“Dumbledore said ‘fighting’, Sirius. I guess fighting is hard. I’m on your side, mate,” James assured him.

“Thanks,” he gratefully accepted the offer.

Both of them returned to their dormitories, after agreeing that they would see each other the next morning in the Great Hall.
The First Day by joanna
The First Day


Sirius hurried down to the Great Hall and was almost the first person there. Only Lily Evans and Remus Lupin sat at their tables. Sirius nodded towards both of them, but while Lupin acknowledged the greeting, Lily seemed to disregard it. Sirius felt that she was the first in the line of people who would ignore him. He sat down and ate his scrambled eggs at high speed. By the time the Great Hall was filling up with students he was out of the room, but unfortunately, once outside he bumped into his Head of House.

“Sorry,” he murmured and tried to hurry away, making a half round around Professor Slughorn’s protruding belly.

“Mr. Black, I recall.” The Potions Master’s voice stopped him in his tracks.

“Yes,” he said with a nod, not looking up. He hated the man; he hated him for he was the head of the abhorred house.

“It’s ‘Yes, sir’ or ‘Yes, Professor’, Mr. Black,” Professor Slughorn told him with an undertone that made Sirius look up.

“Yes, sir,” Sirius repeated obediently.

“Mr. Black, have you finished breakfast?” the professor asked him.

“Yes, sir,” he said, showing that he learned his first lesson.

“Then kindly give these timetables to your housemates,” Professor Slughorn shoved a little pile of parchment into his hands.

Sirius looked down and saw the first name, Ackerley, Flavia. He remembered that this girl was sorted before him. He searched for her face and found her at the end of the Slytherin table. He went to her and without a word handed her the timetable. He looked down and in complete silence he went to the group of fifth years and handed Bennett, Andrew his timetable. Then came his own, he put it under the stock of papers and went on with his task. By the time he finished, Bellatrix and her gang arrived for breakfast. He sighed deeply and then approached them. He gave them their timetables and wanted to leave, but his cousin called after him.

“You don’t want to get friends with Gryffindors, Black,” came her warning.

“It’s none of your business with whom I get friends, Bella. If I was you I wouldn’t want to be friends with that daft lot,” he said, indicating towards two big girls of the size of baby whales. It took those three minutes to grasp the insult, but Sirius was finished, so he left the Great Hall immediately. He was awaited outside.

“James!” he exclaimed, relieved. His fears vanished. He thought James might desert him the next morning. Not that he didn’t trust him, but because of the animosity between the two houses. James was surely advised not to get too close to Slytherins, and Sirius thought James might change his mind.

“I’ve got my timetable,” James pulled him into the corner. “Let’s see what we have!”

After studying their timetables, they found out that Slytherins and Gryffindors had three classes together: Flying Lessons, Transfiguration, and Potions.

“Almost the whole Wednesday belongs to us!” Sirius said and looked at James with a grin.

“Friday isn’t that bad either,” James stated, looking down at his timetable.

They looked down at the parchments and sobered. It wasn’t that much.

“It’s not that much,” James stated in whisper. He was clearly disappointed.

“No, but it isn’t that bad, James. You’ll have three lessons with that chap, Lupin. And me, two.”

They cast a final look at their timetables and saw that they had to head into different directions. James had Charms with the Ravenclaws; Sirius had Herbology with the Hufflepuffs.

“See you at Flying Lessons,” Sirius said and hurried out to Greenhouse One. James headed to one of the classrooms on the second floor.

Sirius stepped into the greenhouse as last and looked around. The Slytherins looked at the Hufflepuffs with almost disgust on their faces, and Sirius saw one black-haired boy from Slytherin and the round-faced Hufflepuff from the train standing aside. He smiled bitterly at the thought of not being the only outsider on the “team”. Professor Anthera, a very old witch with almost white hair, beckoned them closer and then looked at them intently.

“This year we’ll work in this greenhouse only. Make sure to arrive on time or else you’ll miss my class. Who is late, stays outside. And now to your books,” she said, looking at their books. “You won’t need them here, but don’t throw them away, you’ll need them to prepare for the next class. Now, who can tell me the name of this magical herb?” she hold up a plant. “State your name and house, please,” she said, turning to the only raised hand of a blonde girl.

“Senna Truman, Hufflepuff. And that is a butterbur.”

“Excellent. Five points to Hufflepuff. Who could tell me what is it good for?”

The hand of Senna went up again, but this time she wasn’t alone. The black haired boy raised his hand, too.

“Severus Snape, Slytherin,” he stated. “In medieval times butterbur was used against the plague. Basically it is good against coughs and fever resulting of flu or colds.”

“Very good. Ten points to Slytherin. Now you’ll form groups of four and tend to the plants as it says on the board,” she said, motioning towards the blackboard, where a number of instructions were written in neat handwriting.

Sirius teamed up with the round-faced boy and two Hufflepuff girls: Peony Medley and Senna Truman.

Meanwhile, James enjoyed Charms, sometimes stealing a glance outwards, as if he could get a glimpse at Sirius. Professor Flitwick was speaking about the Levitation Charm.

“Now, you’ll work in groups of two throughout the year. Choose your partner, please, and then let us begin!” he announced.

James looked around and was very tempted to team up with Lily Evans, but he knew she would never voluntarily become his partner. She chose Mehndi Sundara instead and James approached Remus Lupin, who was standing around pretty much as if he knew no one would choose him.

“Hi!” James greeted him and earned a slight smile.

“Hullo,” Remus nodded, and they went to sit next to each other.

“We’ll learn today the proper use of the wand when casting the Levitation Charm. Please, pay attention to my wand and try to imitate it.”

James decided that he liked Charms as he hurried down to the lawns of Hogwarts. He could barely wait to see Sirius again and tell him everything about Remus. Sirius and the rest of the first year Slytherins were already there. James looked at them and noticed a black-haired boy and Sirius standing not too close to the group. He stepped to Sirius and saw relief in his eyes.

“What’s up?” James asked casually.

“How was Charms?” Sirius asked, avoiding answering the question.

“I like it. I teamed up with Remus.”

“That Lupin boy?” Sirius asked, while he watched his house mates eying their brooms. Awaiting James’s answer, he looked over to the Gryffindors and decided that they really looked nicer.

“Yes. He is a good chap, just as you said,” James informed him.

“Good,” Sirius said with a nod, just as the Flying Instructor arrived.

Branwyn Brandubh looked at them, measuring, and then stepped next to her broom. “Up!” she whispered and the broom flew into her hands. It trembled there as if it could barely wait for lifting up.

“Stand next to your brooms, please,” she told them in an unusual deep, rich voice.

Sirius and James stood next to each other and glanced down at their brooms.

“Say ‘Up’ and hold the broom firm,” she instructed them.

“Up!” James almost shouted and the broom hit him with so much force that he stumbled, but then steadied and gripped the broom tightly.

“Up!” Sirius said, but the broom refused to spring into his hand.

He said that word over and over, finally almost yelling, but the broom still refused to act. Everybody was staring at Sirius when James gave him his broom and stood next to Sirius’.

“Up!” James said, but the broom did nothing. “Try it with mine, Sirius,” he said, turning to his friend.

“Up!” Sirius looked at James’s broom and the broom glided into his hand impeccably.

“Well, this broom is no use,” Madam Brandubh told them, making them jump; they didn’t hear her approach. “Take mine, Potter,” she said, handing her broom to James.

“We’ll practice hovering today. On my count, rise and stay there. Should someone rise higher, he would leave the class and never return,” she warned them.

After the lesson ended, they went together for lunch to the Great Hall. They parted, after agreeing to wait for each other outside. James saw that Bella spoke to Sirius and that his friend’s face became red instantly. He ate at high speed to finish lunch at the same time as Sirius who barely ate anything.

“What happened?” James asked, after they stepped out of the Great Hall.

“That moron Snape told Bella about my broom,” Sirius complained, not quite able to hide his fury.

“Who is that?” James asked, peeking back.

“The one with the greasy black hair,” Sirius pointed Snape out.

“I see,” James said, nodding. He watched Severus Snape and a glint appeared in his eyes. While a strong friendship was formed, the seeds of a long-lasting animosity were planted.

They arrived second for Transfiguration. Lily and Mehndi were already there.

“She is good at Charms”, James whispered to Sirius. “We’ve got fifteen points because of her.”

“I’m more interested in this subject,” Sirius said.

“Because of McGonagall or are you interested in it anyway?” James asked back with a wink.

“Anyway, but McGonagall is superb. Theus told me so.”

They went in and sat down. They were looking around, staring at the blackboard when the cat, sitting on the front desk, stirred. It startled them. After the cat leapt forward and landed on the floor, everybody gasped for in front of them stood no more a cat, but Professor McGonagall. A few of them applauded and Sirius looked very impressed.

“Thank you. Settle down and we will begin. Who can tell me what the difference between Metamorphmagi and Animagi is?” she asked, and looked around appraisingly. She saw eager faces and two raised hands. It was Sirius’ and Nita Fontana’s from Gryffindor.

“Mr. Black?” she called him.

“Both can change their appearance at will, but Metamorphmagi are born with this ability, Animagi must learn it. Animagi turn into animals, but Metamorphmagi can turn into everything they want.”

“Right, Mr. Black. Five points to Slytherin. However, you won’t take any lessons in Animagic,” she shattered their hopes with her words, and then looked around with a barely visible smile on her lips. Some people sighed with disappointment. “We are beginning with the basics. Who knows what the difference between Mutatus and Commutatus Spells is?”

Nita’s hand shot in the air and McGonagall turned to her.

“Miss Fontana?”

“Commutatus Spells alter the object completely, Mutatus Spells only partially.”

“Very good,” Professor McGonagall said and nodded praising. “Five points to Gryffindor.”

At the end of the day a tired-looking Sirius told James that he would skip dinner and went straight to his dormitory. James sat down next to Lily, who ignored him the whole day.

“Hi, Evans,” he greeted her.

Lily chose to ignore him further and chatted on with Mehndi Sundara. James shrugged his shoulders and dedicated himself to dinner.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=42065