The Etiquette of an Entrance by Bitter_Sweet
Summary: The Etiquette of an Entrance is one-shot that gives insight into the social structure of Beauxbatons. Set during the carriage ride to Hogwarts, Lucille Champney reflects on Fleur Delacour, Hogwarts and Harry Potter.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 820 Read: 1941 Published: 01/23/06 Updated: 01/23/06

1. The Etiquette of an Entrance by Bitter_Sweet

The Etiquette of an Entrance by Bitter_Sweet
The Etiquette of an Entrance


I smoothed out some of the creases in my uniform. Even as I tugged on my skirt I couldn't help but steal a look at her. I'm not quite sure how I ended up sitting next to her. I am not beautiful. I am not her best friend. I am not the smartest, the prettiest or the richest, but here I am, sitting next to Fleur Delacour. She is perfect. We all know she will get it. She is one of Madame Maxime's favorites. We all talk about it, about her, behind her back. She's the pride of the Academy; we all know it. I adjust my hat and sit up straighter. Seventeen years of growing up in the Champney household teaches you to at least act better than anyone else. I notice Fleur tilt her head upwards, trying to be taller than me. I feel a sick sort of satisfaction knowing she considers me some sort of equal. I stiffen my shoulders and keep my head at the same level. That should teach her that I consider her nothing; nothing more then a classmate, a peer, and a filthy half-breed. She tilts her head side ways and our eyes lock. I try to keep the coldness out of sight.


"Are you nervous?" I asked pleasantly. Of course I'm nervous. I have done everything humanly possible to get to this point. Everyone has. Except her, of course because she's not all human.


"As much as can be expected, Lucille. I am actually more nervous about this school, Hogwarts. I hear it is not up to the French education standards," Fleur responded with an air of arrogance.


"Better than Durmstrang, that place is horrendous," Odile Reinard said, leaning slightly forward from Fleur's left side. Fleur smiled at her remark and the girls began to chit chat about the other schools.


I pursed my lips. That girl was always far too outspoken for her own good. She always thought something was terrible and constantly whined. Combined, I think her and Fleur could reduce a Death Eater to tears. She was by far the richest of Fleur's friends, but the most wild and uncivilized. I had often joked with the other girls that she was only with us because she had bribed Madame Maxime. Unfortunately, we all knew that was a lie. She was also one of Madame Maxime's favorites, destined for an easy life. They received good grades. They received honors. They received special recommendations upon graduation. They had a life of privilege, while the rest had to work hard for every ounce of praise we acquired. It had made us tougher, if not smarter.


The carriage moved up and down ungracefully, jerking around all twelve of us. My hat fell off of my head and onto the ground. I quickly Summoned it with my wand. Oh the embarrassment! None of the others' hats fell off. None except mine. I look sillier than the boy who brought a fur scarf! If only I had put it on properly in the morning I wouldn't have to deal with all of the silly giggles.

The clouds around our windows slowly faded into a background of trees and hills as we flew lower. Those of us with some dignity tried not to look too excited. I merely turned my head to my right and tried to get a glimpse of what lay beyond the world of Beauxbatons. My first look was not at all reassuring. The lawns look poorly maintained, was no landscaping at all! A forest, yes an actual forest with all the wild beasts that live in it, was left untamed. There was even a wooden hut of some sorts! Perhaps what was worse was the fact that all of Hogwarts' students had gathered around, waiting for us, as if we were royalty. Although, we are probably the closest to it they will ever see. I heard a boy on my right mumble the name Harry Potter. It was as if all the others in the carriage had heard him, because everyone drew silent. We had only spoken of him in hushed whispers, when we were sure no one else would hear. We were ashamed. Beauxbatons, the best school in all of Europe had no pupils who were that famous or powerful. Voldemort would have eventually tried to take over the French ministry as well. We all knew what Harry Potter did, how he had saved us. It was because of Harry Potter that most of us were still living. The carriage came to a very bumpy stop. I delicately clasped my hand to head, careful not to repeat the previous incident.


The door was opened and darkness crept into our carriage. I rose slowly, ready to conquer the adventure afoot.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=42756