The Phoenix Speaks by Slian Martreb
Summary: Fawkes reflects.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1047 Read: 1317 Published: 01/24/06 Updated: 01/24/06

1. The Phoenix Speaks by Slian Martreb

The Phoenix Speaks by Slian Martreb

The Phoenix Speaks


I am as old as the sun and the moon. I have seen stars burst to life and I have seen the same stars collapse into themselves, tired of being. I have seen the creation of solar systems and watched as they crumbled, indifferent. I have seen the rise and fall of countless civilizations in this universe and others. I have seen the beginning and end of thousands of religions, all falling prey to the same, stupid mistakes. I have seen nations go to war for a single woman and I have seen those same nations ignore the cries of thousands.

I have seen man rise from the earth to become master of all he surveyed. I have seen him start from a being who simply gazed at the sky and stars to become something that soared above them. I have seen him grow from an Icarus who flew with feathered wings to a being who could conquer the the sky and gravity in a metal bird. I have seen him succeed in overcoming the natural limitations of his body to accomplish things only Gods used to be capable of.

I have seen him do acts both good and evil, cause abundance and hunger, commit kindness and petty wars. I have seen men who suffered for their beliefs and I have seen men who died for the beliefs of others. I have seen men who rose as gods in the eyes of their fellow men and seen those men pass into memory long forgotten.

I have lived an eternity that passed in a moment and I have lived moments that did not end or want to. Time has a different meaning when you’re going to live forever and I will.

Hopefully.

I have seen family feuds that stretched for a millennia, causing both needless and pointless deaths, the reason long forgotten. I have seen wives watch helpless as their husbands and sons left to fight wars that were not needed.

I have known the answers to the age-old questions and come up with some of my own queries. I have bested the Sphinx, bringing it to its knees as it begged me for the answers to the simple, childish riddles I asked of it. I have seen the wonders of the worlds, wonders that existed for centuries until they were found and destroyed in ignorance. I have seen it all and I have seen it replaced by the newest and latest, time after time after time.

My eyes have seen. Have no doubt of that.

I have seen the destruction ignorance can cause as well as the devastation of complete knowledge coupled with indifference. I have come face-to-face with Gods who thought they were worthless and known men who thought they were deserving of reverence. I have seen adults with the innocence of children and children with the hard and unjustly earned maturity and wisdom of grown-ups.

I have sat on my perch for a thousand lifetimes...Watching. Waiting. Over time, my perch has changed, as varying as the blades of grass in a meadow or the leaves in a forest. But I have always been steadfast, always faithful. It is the way my kind is.

For years, I have held my peace. Submitting to those who believed they had the right to control and own me. I allowed them this belief, fools that they were. They possessed no inkling of the insignificance of their lives in the scheme of things. I knew because I have watched the scheme come into being, watched it grow from tiny threads that wove together, becoming a tapestry of humanity and what it had been, was and could be. To these ignorant people I submitted myself.

A few years ago–perhaps decades, or a millennia; who knows? Time means nothing to one like me–I came into the “possession” of the greatest of wizarding kind I’ve ever known. He piqued my curiosity, his eccentricities intriguing, his train of thought nearly impossible to follow. I attached myself to this man, satisfying my own interest.

I witnessed things I never had before in my time with him. I went through two Burning Days under his watch, one nearly immediately after coming to him and yet another decades later, under the horrified eyes of a boy with a destiny yet untold. This boy made me curious as well. Amazing how he allowed himself be led on; if he wasn’t watchful, he would find himself on a treacherous path to pain and despair. I knew that the wizard I “belonged” to was doing his best to guide this boy, yet I feared for their success.

I became incredibly close to my “owner” over the years, creating a bond of loyalty possible only between a phoenix and its “master.” And a few months later, I was beckoned by a heartfelt cry of loyalty to my master, finding myself in a hidden chamber within the depths of the castle we resided in. The boy lay dying. I landed beside him, saddened that one with such deep faith as my own in my master should die. I began to cry, my tears falling on his wound, healing him within moments.

I saw the boy sporadically from then on. Nearly two years after our meeting, he was brought to my master’s chamber, confirming that the Dark One had risen again.

I only saw the boy once or twice more since.

Two years after that night, my master was killed by one he
had trusted. I lamented his death, knowing there would never come to the world another like him. Dumbledore was dead and the phoenix flew.

I knew that many more would die in this battle of good and evil that man has created for himself. How trivial such a thing is to one as I am. Man believes himself immortal through memory. He is wrong. Nothing is immortal, not even one as myself.

And yet...after thousands of years...I am still here.

A/N: Well?
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=42882