Ordinary Day by lilysmaurader
Summary: This is a one-shot Song Fic to Vanessa Carlton's Ordinary Day. Lily is dared to do something totally crazy. The dare will change Lily's life forever.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1473 Read: 2328 Published: 01/26/06 Updated: 01/26/06

1. Ordinary Day by lilysmaurader

Ordinary Day by lilysmaurader
Author's Notes:
This story was written before I found out the Evans and Potters died of natural causes, so that bit of the story is incorrect. When the seventh book comes out I'm sure quite a bit of this story will be incorrect so I won't be making any changes right now. I will make changes when I feel it won't hurt the integrity of the story. If you notice any errors please comment, particullarly for grammatical or spelling errors because I will deffinetely fix those.


The characters belong to JK Rowling and the song belongs to Vanessa Carlton














Just a day,


Just an ordinary day.


Just tryin to get by.


Just a boy,


Just an ordinary boy.


But he was looking to the sky.


And as he ask if i would come along


I started to realize-


That everyday you find


Just what he's looking for,


Like a shooting star he shines.







He said take my hand,


Live while you can


Don't you see your dreams lie right in the palm of your hand














I slipped into my dorm, trying not to wake my friends up. It was past midnight and I was just getting back from patrolling with James Potter. It was our first night back to school, so it had taken extra time to get used to how to patrol. I had thought it would be absolutely horrible. I mean I was patrolling with James Potter, but he had been almost kind and very sweet. Oh and did I mention he’s very, very handsome.







He had also grown up a lot. He was talking to me while we patrolled, and he had goals for his life. He wanted to become an auror. He says he wants to fight dark wizards, but I think he wants to do it to avenge his parents. Of course I’m not one to talk, I’m also going into the auror program to avenge my parents.







I suddenly heard a noise at the door, like someone had thrown something to hit the door. It wasn’t loud, only loud enough for someone already awake to hear. I slipped back out of the room to see what was going on.







I saw Remus and Sirius holding James’ arms. When I walked down, I saw Sirius kick James, like he wanted James to say something.







“Erm Lily,” James began awkwardly, “Would you go on a date with me?”







I sighed. I had hoped he had truly grown up, and that I wouldn’t have to answer this question.







I was about to speak, but Remus cut me off. I think he realized I was about to say no. “Lily, you aren’t about to say no are you because this is a dare.”







“Yeah,” said Sirius catching on, “You have to do it Lily. The great Lily Evans has never turned down a dare.”







It was true. According to Professor McGonagall I was a good girl who had never broken the rules, but my mum always said good girls are only bad girls who don’t get caught. My mum was a very wise woman.







“Fine,” I said knowing they had won, “When and Where?”







Sirius grinned and said, “Let’s make it now.”







I gasped, “But it’s after midnight,”







“Don’t tell me you’ve never been on a date in the middle of the night before,” said James finally jumping in.







“Not with someone I hate,” I said letting my temper take control of my mouth.







James countered my remark by saying, “Why are you stalling, let’s go.”







He took my hand and lead me outside.














And as he spoke, he spoke ordinary words


Although they did not feel


For I felt what I had not felt before


You'd swear those words could heal.


And as I looked up into those eyes


His vision borrows mine.


And to know he's no stranger,


For I feel I've held him for all of time.







And he said take my hand,


Live while you can


Don't you see your dreams lie right in the palm of your hand


In the palm of your hand.














I realized he was taking me towards the quiditch field and said, “Don’t you get enough of Quiditch, we practice twice a week.” I was the keeper on the Gryffindor team, while he has a chaser and the captain.







“There’s no such thing as too much Quiditch,” he said with a smile, “And I think you’ll notice something a little different.”







I realized that there was a table with two chairs and butterbeer on the center field. I was completely surprised; it looked amazing. Did he really care so much for me that he would go to all that work?







When we got to the table he pulled back my chair and helped me sit down. I had never thought of James Potter as a gentlemen, more like a player. He was really being quite kind, though.







We sat and talked about every thing under the sun: our deceased parents, our futures, our favorite subjects, our friends, our favorite things in the world, the things that made me happy, the things that were lying heavily on our hearts. As we talked I began to notice things I’d never noticed before. We were so similar. We were both orphans, had big dreams for our futures, and hoped we were doing the right things right now. Our hopes and fears were all the same.







He was staring into my eyes, so I decided to look back. I had had trouble looking people in the eye ever since my parents death. A shrink had told me I had severe trauma and feared relationships, but I thought he was absolutely mad.







His eyes were so deep and spoke so many words. I felt myself fall into his eyes and realized the we’re the same person. We had our difference, but we were so similar. How had I missed it before? This guy was me.














Please come with me,


See what I see.


Touch the stars for time will not flee.


Time will not flee.


Can you see?














I forced myself out of my thoughts and noticed James was looking at his watch. He said, “There’s something I want to show you.” He took my had and led me away from the table. He laid down on the grass and motioned for me to do the same.







I laid down beside him and he said, “I love to look at the stars. Whenever I’m worried about something I come out here and just lay down.”







He pointed towards the sky, and I knew why he loved it. It was so beautiful. I suddenly felt small and insignificant like my life wasn’t all there was, but part of something more, something truly amazing. I felt myself rise up and float among the stars.














Just a dream, just an ordinary dream.


As I wake in bed


And the boy, that boy, that ordinary boy.


Or was it all in my head?


Did he ask if I would come along


It all seemed so real.


But as i looked to the door,


I saw that boy standing there with a deal.







And he said he my take my hand,


Live while you can,


Don't you see your dreams lie right in the palm of your hand


Right in the palm of your hand,


Right in the palm of your hand.







Just a day, just an ordinary day


Just tryin to get by.


Just a boy,


Just an ordinary boy.


But he was looking to the sky.














I woke up lying on the couch. I wondered why, then remembered last night. Had it even happened, now it seemed so strange. It wouldn’t be the first time I had had a dream that seemed real. A dream that was hard to keep separate from reality.







But the dream had been so real! More real than many true life experiences I had had.







I sat up and saw James sitting in a chair watching me. I looked into his eyes and knew that last night wasn’t a dream.







“Did you like last night?” asked James nervously.







Instead of answering, I was feeling quite random, I walked over and kissed him. He seemed surprised for a moment, then kissed me back. We could have gone on forever, but I heard people clapping behind me.







I stopped kissing James and turned around. I saw Remus and Sirius. They were laughing.







“I knew James had it in him,” boasted Sirius.







“Then,” asked Remus politely, “Why did you say he didn’t have a shot last night?”







The two boys began to laugh again, and I decided I had more important things to do. I turned back to James and asked, “As Heads aren’t we supposed to patrol in the early morning?”







James smiled and said, “You know, I think we are. I also know of a very lovely broom cupboard where we could start.” He stood up and led me out of the common room and down the hall.







As we closed the door behind us I heard Remus say, “You know, I think that James might actually manage to hold onto Lily.” I think he’s absolutely right.




This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=43000