The New Girl by loonyluna22
Summary: (Sorry, I'm not so good at summaries) A new girl comes to Hogwarts from America, and Harry can't help but think she is beautiful.
Categories: Harry/Other Character Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 8469 Read: 19032 Published: 11/28/04 Updated: 01/24/05

1. Chapter 1 by loonyluna22

2. Chapter Two by loonyluna22

3. Chapter 3 by loonyluna22

4. Chapter Four by loonyluna22

5. Chapter 5 by loonyluna22

6. Chapter Six by loonyluna22

Chapter 1 by loonyluna22
Disclaimer: I do not own anything (characters, story, ect.) of J.K. Rowling’s.
__________________________________________________________________

Harry Potter was dreamily looking out the window, excited for his new year at Hogwarts, his sixth. He watched the puffs of smoke coming up from the train, the Hogwarts Express. He was sitting by his best friends, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger.

"Harry! Come on, don't conk out on us now! The train hasn't even left yet," Ron said to Harry, playfully pushing him.

Harry yawned, "Sorry, I'm tired. We had to wake up pretty early, you know."

Harry and Hermione stayed and Ron's house, the Burrow, for half of last summer. He usually had to stay at his aunt's house, the Dursleys', which he dreaded. They were Muggles, and the most horrible ones.

"I wonder where Neville, Ginny, and Luna are," Hermione said, looking out of the compartment window into the hallway,"Hmm... I guess they couldn't find us. Might just be us this time."

Harry and Ron grunted in response. They were getting out a game of exploding snap. Harry yawned and stretched out in his seat, as Ron made the first move. Harry was so glad to be going back to Hogwarts, the place he loved more than anywhere. Suddenly, there was a knock on the compartment door.

"Maybe that’s the others," Ron said, looking at the door.

But instead, in came a girl they had never seen before. She had straight, blonde hair up in a rather messy ponytail. She was wearing a light blue T-shirt and jeans. Along with her bags, she had a guitar in a case swung over her shoulder. 'Wow, she's pretty' Harry thought. She smiled and took a few steps inside.

"Hi, my name's Jen- well Jennifer, but I prefer Jen," she smiled, then continued, "I’m new to Hogwarts. Can I sit with you? I can't find anywhere else," she said, looking at them. She had an American accent.

"Yes, of course. My name is Hermione, and this is Ron and Harry," Hermione said pointing at Ron and Harry.

Jen came in and sat down next to Hermione. She sat her guitar down and started to put her things up in the compartment. As she was doing this, she dropped a bag.

"Oh!" She exclaimed. But right then Harry ran over and caught it, then gave it to her, "Thank you," she said smiling.

"N-no problem," Harry said looking at her intently.

"Not to be rude or anything, but... why do you have an American accent?" Ron said when Harry sat back down. He smirked at Harry.

"That's because I moved here from America. You might have noticed I’m a little old to be a first year. I used to go to a school of witchcraft and wizardry in America. My mom always wanted to live in London. It was her dream. So, last summer we moved here," she said and smiled.

"Wow, it will be very interesting to have someone her from America," Hermione said happily. She looked over at Jen's guitar, "Oh, you play?"

"Oh yes. I have loved the guitar ever since I was seven," Jen said picking up her guitar.

After they changed inter their robes, the rest of the trip they talked. They asked Jen a lot of questions about America and her. She came from a Muggle family, and had lived in Ohio. She has a little sister and an older brother, who are both a witch and wizard too. Their names are Tiara and Joey. Tiara is only seven and won't be going to Hogwarts for three years, and Joey is 23 and is going to get a job at the Ministry. Her father is a Doctor and her mother is a lawyer.

After they talked a little, Hermione went right to her book and read. Harry, Ron, and Jen played the exploding snap Ron and Harry started. After a few minutes, when Jen added a card the stack fell and exploded. Harry thought she still looked beautiful even though her face was back and covered in ash. She looked in the mirror on the other side of the compartment and smiled at her reflection, and they all laughed.

When the train stopped at the station, they got there things and walked to the door. They went outside and walked to the horseless (but not to Harry) carriages.

"What? Why are Thestrals pulling these carriages? They always give me the willies whenever I see them!" Jen exclaimed, cringing at the empty space (again, not to Harry) in front of the carriages.

"You can see them, too?!?" Harry said. He was exasperated that someone else could see the Thestrals, which you could only see if you haven't seen death. Harry looked over at the jet black, bony horses. They were pawing the ground and snorting menacingly, their dark mains whipping around their faces in the wind.

"Yes. My baby brother died a while after he was born, and I was watching him," Jen sighed, still watching the Thestrals. It seemed talking about him was hard for her.

"Oh, I’m sorry," Harry said looking at her sorrowfully.

They climbed into the carriages and sat down. They talked all the way to the castle, and then went inside the Great Hall to sit at the Gryffindor table. Jen had to go up to the stool to get sorted even though she wasn't a first year. Proffesor McGonagall came with the stool and the Sorting Hat and told the students what they had to do. Jen was sorted first since she wasn't a first year. She cautiously walked over to the stool, sat down, and put the Sorting Hat on her head. She closed her eyes as the hat started to mutter about where she should be put.

Finally, he screamed, "GRYFFINDOR!" Jen smiled and ran to sit next to Harry, Ron, and Hermione at the table.

"Somehow, everyone we become friends with always ends up in Gryffindor! Does Dumbledore plan this or something?" Ron said, eyeing Dumbledore suspiciously.

They all laughed, and then became quiet as Dumbledore stood up to make his speech, "Hello and Welcome to a new year and Hogwarts. As my usual announcements are, the Forbidden Forest is forbidden to all students, hence its name. Dungbombs, Filibuster Fireworks, and a very long list of other items are not allowed in the hallways. You can find that list on the bulletin board in your Common Rooms. This year we have a special announcement. A new student named Jennifer has come to our school from America. She is in her sixth year. Jennifer, would you please stand up?" Dumbledore asked.

Jen did as she was told and stood up. Everyone clapped, especially Harry, Ron, and Hermione. When it quieted down Dumbledore finished his yearly announcements and then the food appeared. Everyone started getting their food. When Jen and piled her plate, she turned and smiled at Harry. I think I am going to like the year a lot, Harry thought, smiling to himself.
Chapter Two by loonyluna22
A/N: People, you need to review. Please raise your right hand and recite: “I solemnly swear I will review after I have read this Chapter” Thankies! Enjoy the chappy!




They finished eating and went up to the common room after Hermione and Ron gave the prefects instructions. Hermione and Ron were Head Boy and Head Girl, but they didn’t want to stay in the Head’s Common Room. Even though it was nice, they wanted to be with Harry, Ginny and their other friends. They said the password, “Kneazle”, and went inside. Jen grinned as she walked into the magnificent Gryffindor Common Room. The great walls were rose red, and the fire blazed and crackled setting a pleasant glow on the big red chairs.

“Wow! This place is beautiful!” she exclaimed, slowly entering the room.

Everyone laughed. Ron threw himself in a comfy red chair and laid back. Hermione went upstairs to let Crookshanks out of his carrying cage. Harry went down and sat by Ron. Jen continued exploring the common room. Soon, Hermione came back down stairs. She set Crookshanks down on the floor.

“Now that’s better, isn’t?” she cooed, stroking the ginger cat.

“Oh, what a pretty cat,” Jen said taking a break from her exploring to see the cat. She walked over, examined Crookshanks and chuckled.

“That’s no cat you have there, Hermione. That is a Kneazle.”

“Huh?” Hermione said with a puzzled look.

“Yep, I know my magical creatures. Kneazles are almost identical to cats, but they have bigger ears and are always spotted, specked, calico, ginger, or striped,” she said looking proudly at Crookshanks. “I love to learn about magical creatures. I’ve read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them about a hundred times!”

“Wow Crookshanks! I never knew,” Hermione said to Crookshanks.

Neville and Ginny came in right after that. They had apologetic smiles on there faces.

“Err, sorry we didn’t meet with you on the train. We couldn’t find your compartment. Believe me; we didn’t have a good time. We had to sit by two first year boys. They were total gits; they were shoving quarters up their noses. I bet they are going to be the future Crabbe and Goyle. Sorry we didn’t catch you at the table either. Neville and I are prefects, as you know, and McGonagall wanted to talk to us,” Ginny said rolling her eyes. Everyone laughed, and then she noticed Jen.

“You’re the American girl, aren’t you? I see you have made friends with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Well anyway, my name is Ginny and this is Neville. I’m Ron’s little sister, and Neville is our friend.”

“Hello. My name’s Jen, and yeah I am the American girl,” she smiled at Ginny and Neville.

They sat in their favorite chairs and talked for what seemed like hours. Soon everyone filtered out of the common room, but not before pointing, staring, or coming up and saying, “Wow, you’re the girl from America!” to Jen. She just nodded to them and told them her name. Ginny and Neville went to bed after a while, and then so did Harry. Ron just wasn’t tired and Hermione wanted to study a little before classes tomorrow.

Harry went up to the dormitory and changed into his pajamas. Seamus, Dean, and Neville were already asleep. He could hear Neville’s muffled snores. He got into bed and pulled the curtains closed. He lay in his bed for what seemed like hours, and then realized he couldn’t sleep. He kept thinking about Jen. How they met her, how pretty she was, how her blue eyes sparkled in the light.

He decided to get up and get some water. Then he saw that Ron’s bed was still empty.

I wonder why Ron hasn’t gone to bed yet, it must be really late. He thought maybe Ron just fell asleep on the sofa and started to go down the stairs to wake him up. But, instead of finding Ron sleeping on the sofa, he found Ron and Hermione snogging on the sofa! As surprised as he was, he felt bad walking in on them like this and started to make his way back up the stairs. Too late, they heard him.

“Harry! Um… uh…,” Hermione stuttered, blushing.

“Err, I’m sorry. I just noticed Ron wasn’t in bed and I wanted to see what he was doing, but while I’m down here I might as well ask what’s going on,” he said, staring at them with a puzzled look.

“Well me and Hermione have actually been together for a while,” Ron admitted as Harry sat down on a chair across from them. “Sorry we didn’t tell you sooner mate, but you were so angry with us being alone for two weeks over the summer, and Sirius…” Ron regretted what he said. They hadn’t talked about Sirius’s death for a while.

“It’s ok,” Harry said with a slightly pained look. He was still kind of uncomfortable talking about Sirius, and he was a little hurt that his friends didn’t tell them they were boyfriend and girlfriend. “You had a good reason. I was pretty heated about that, and that would probably have made it worse,” he lightened up a little. “Believe me, your hands wouldn’t be the only thing pecked to the bone!” he laughed. “Well, sorry about walking in on you. I think I’m going to go back to bed. Uh, you can 'continue' now.” He stood up.

Hermione blushed.

“No, I’m tired. I think I’ll going to go to bed now, too. Good night.” She kissed Ron good night then headed up to the girls’ dormitory, and Ron went up with Harry. He got back into bed, and, especially with finding out Ron and Hermione’s secret, he still couldn’t get to sleep.




A/N: Ha! You took an oath (Is that how you say it? Oh well, you recited the thingy)! Now you have to review! MUWAHAHA! Sorry, being a bit evil today.
Chapter 3 by loonyluna22
A/N: I just want to take this moment to say that I have my whole FF planned out. It will be about 5 chapters, and then I am going to write a sequel. Only if people like this one, though I mean, I don’t want people begging me not to write one!
__________________________________________________________
The sun was risen for some time and Harry was still soundly sleeping in bed. He didn’t sleep well last night and was sleeping in.

“GOOD MORNING, SUNSHINE!” Ron bellowed in Harry’s ear.

Harry yawned and rolled over.

“The sausage will be ready soon, Aunt Petunia,” he muttered, and started making a motion with his hands like he was adjusting a frying pan.

“Harry Potter! You git, it’s late! If you don’t get your butt down to breakfast in five minutes your not going to get any!” Ron said with his hands on his hips.

“WHAT?” Harry jumped out of bed and ran to his trunk and got dressed. Once he was finished he looked at Ron, who still had his hands on his hips.

“Ron, don’t do that, you look and sound like your mum,” Harry said quickly, grabbed his bag, then rushed out the door.

“Hey, wait for me!” Ron yelled to him, grabbing his bag and running after Harry.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry and Ron sat down next to Hermione, Ginny, and Neville. Hermione glared at them, and wagged her finger.

“Classes start in five minutes! What’s wrong with you two?” she scolded.

“Good morning to you too, dear,” Ron said sitting down next to her and kissing her on the cheek. “Hey, don’t point that thing at me.” Ron said pushing away her finger that was still pointing at Harry and him. “Harry’s the one that sleeps in and has weird dreams about sausage.”

“Sorry guys. I didn’t sleep that well last night,” Harry said sitting down across from Jen.

“Was it because of what Ron and Hermione told you?” Jen said sipping her pumpkin juice.

“Yeah, how did you know?” Harry said with a puzzled look at Jen, then Ron and Hermione. Well, sort of, Harry thought to himself. Ron looked puzzled too, but surprisingly Hermione didn’t.

“I told her. She was still awake when I went up to the dormitory last night,” Hermione said, and Jen nodded.

They hurriedly finished their breakfast and went outside to go to Herbology. They had it with the Sytherins, yippee… not. But Jen was excited to start her classes. She wanted to know if she was behind or ahead or just right. They ran inside the greenhouse and sat down in chairs right before the bell gonged. They all sighed in relief and lay back in their chairs.

Jen was a wiz at Herbology. She raised her hand and answered questions just as often as Hermione. Neville gazed at her in awe every time she answered a question. After all, he loved Herbology, but he never acted like this around Hermione, and she knew just as much or more than Jen did. Harry was getting suspicious.

The bell rang and everyone stood up. To their dismay, Malfoy came over with Crabbe and Goyle lagging behind him. He walked right up to Jen, who was busily putting her things in her bag.

“Well, well, well. If it isn’t Jennifer,” he said walking up to her. “'The Amazing Girl from America’,” he said in a sing-song voice. “I see you’re wasting your time with this scum,” he sneered, nodding towards Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville.

“One, my name is Jen. Two, I think you’re the scum here. Three, who the heck are you?” she said standing up.

Malfoy opened his mouth but Ron beat him to it, “Oh, that’s just Malfoy. The biggest git whoever slimed the earth.”

“Watch your tongue Weasley, say one more thing and I might take it off. And I don’t think you can afford a new one.” He chuckled, or rather cackled, and started walking off, Crabbe and Goyle stupidly laughing in his wake.

Ron started to go for him, but Hermione lightly touched his arm. “Ron, don’t. It wouldn’t do anything but get you in trouble,” she said gently. He sighed and stopped. He grabbed his bag and walked away, his arm around Hermione’s waist. Harry, Jen, Ginny, and Neville followed.

Soon it was break and everyone went back up to the common room. Ginny and her friend from her year, Hailey, were talking in a corner, Hermione and Ron were snogging, and Neville and Jen were talking at a table. The more he was around Jen the more he liked her, and he was starting to feel awkward when Neville and Jen were together. He didn’t understand the feeling. Was it jealousy? He has felt jealous about Ron before, because he had a wonderful family and people weren’t going around saying, “HEY IT’S HARRY POTTER!” to him. But this wasn’t like that. It was almost like a… longing. He decided to sit in a chair behind them, and pretend to do homework to hear their conversation.

“W- Wow. I was really impressed in Herbology, Jen. You were great,” he said, nervously smiling.

“Thanks, Neville,” she said blushing.

Harry couldn’t take much more of it. Then just in time, Ginny came over and said break was almost over and they should be getting ready for their next classes.

“I think Hogwarts is going to be great! When’s the first dance?” Jen asked as she swung her bag over her shoulder.

“Uh, there are no dances, Jen. We only had one in our fourth year, and that was because of the Triwizard Tournament,” Hermione said, getting her bag, too.

“No dances? That’s no fun! Well, you and Ron are Head Boy and Girl. You should ask Dumbledore, I’m sure he is open for requests from you,” she said, walking towards the portrait hole with the others.

“Hey that’s a good idea. I have to admit that last dance wasn’t very fun with that prat Krum there!” Ron scowled.

“Ron!” Hermione said warningly. Ron apologized, but cursed under his breath.

They left the common room and went to their classes. At lunch, Hermione and Ron went to McGonagall to ask to talk to Dumbledore. They came back to the others with a smile.

"Dumbledore said that would be great. We are going to have three dances. A Homecoming, Christmas, and Spring Dance. He said the next dance can be arranged in two weeks! You better get a date, mate," Ron said, sitting down next to Harry, “I already have a date, right Hermione?” Ron said.

“Right, honey,” Hermione said sitting down next to Ron, and giving him a kiss.

Harry nodded and sighed, but he already knew who he was going to ask.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The days went by and Neville and Jen got closer, and the dance was drawing nearer. Harry was sitting in the library reading a book on transfiguration, but not really seeing the words. He was thinking hard about this. Neville and Jen talked a lot and spent a lot of time with each other. He couldn’t tell if they were just friends, or they had something more. Harry was starting to reconsider asking Jen to the dance.

No, he thought to himself, If I don’t ask her I’ll never know if we can ever have something together. Besides, they just share an interest in Herbology. They are probably just friends. He slammed the book closed and ran in to the common room to catch Jen before she went to bed.

When he got to the common room he ran so fast he almost knocked over Neville. “Oops! Sorry Neville."

“That’s ok, Harry,” He said smiling. “What’s the rush, anyway?”

“Uh, I wanted to ask Jen to the dance,” he said, wondering if he should say this to Neville.

His expression changed from happy, to apologetic. “Oh! Err, I’m sorry, Harry. I’ve already asked her.”



A/N: DUN, DUN DUNNN!!! Sorry dramatic ending!
Chapter Four by loonyluna22
Harry tried to act like he was just asking Jen because he couldn’t think of anyone else to ask, but he knew Neville could see right through him, “Oh…err…that’s okay. I’ll… just ask someone else,” he said, looking at the floor. Neville looked even more apologetic.

“Are you sure you don’t mind?” Neville said nervously.

“Yeah, it’s fine. Well, it’s getting late. I’m going to go up and get ready for bed,” Harry said, beginning to walk away. Neville still watching him, he walked up the stairs, thinking. It wasn’t like he was surprised. He knew this might happen, but it felt bad all the same. He trudged up the stairs to the dormitory. Ron was there, sitting on his bed, looking at something that looked like a homework planner, obviously perplexed. Harry over walked and sat down on his bed, and began slowly taking off his shoes.

“What does it mean I should to do three hours of homework on Saturdays?” Ron said to himself, glaring at the planner. It flashed one of its sayings, "Don’t get discouraged, homework should be fun!"

“Ah, shove it,” he said, chucking the book behind him. “I’ll never be able to use this thing, no matter how much Hermione wants me to,” he sighed, then noticed Harry. “Oh, hey Harry, I didn’t notice you there,” he saw Harry’s sorrowful face. “Hey, what’s wrong?” he said with a puzzled look at him.

“Nothing,” he said, obviously lying.

“Oh, come on Harry. I’m not that thick, what’s wrong?” Ron said staring at him knowingly.

Should he tell Ron? Ron was his best friend, but he was distressed and frustrated. He didn’t feel like talking, but he knew he would just have to accept Neville and Jen. Maybe letting it out would make it easier to let go. He sighed. “Well, I guess I really like Jen.” Ron gave him a look that said "Well duh, we all do," so he continued.

“No, more than a friend. I wanted to ask her to the dance, but Neville already had. I guess I’m kind of hurt.”

“I feel sorry for you, Harry, but we have only known Jen for a little while. You can’t like her that much already. It is probably just a phase, you’ll get over it, don’t worry,” Ron flashed encouraging smile.

“Yeah, I bet your right. I’ll probably be fine tomorrow.” But inside he didn’t think he would. He knew he couldn’t have known Jen long enough to actually love her, but he still felt it was something more than a little crush phase. He didn’t just like her for her beauty. He liked her for so much more. She just made him feel happy. He felt like he could be around her and talk to her for hours. He lay in bed and thought about her until he drifted into a peaceful sleep. He didn’t even bother changing.




The next morning Harry lazily woke up and winced at the sun’s blinding light peaking through the window curtains. Neville and Ron were just waking up too. He got dressed with them and they went down to breakfast together. He felt a little better than yesterday, and chatted almost happily with them as they went. He sat next to Jen, Ron sat down by Hermione and Neville sat on the other side of Jen. Jen said "Hi," to them then began talking to Neville, and putting jam on some toast. This dampened Harry’s spirit a bit.

“So, what’s on the schedule today?” Jen said to everyone.

“Hmm, looks like potions first. Then transfiguration,” Hermione said consulting her schedule. Jen suddenly looked sad.

“Great. My two worst subjects,” Jen sighed and bit her toast.

They all finished breakfast and continued down to the dungeons for Potions. They had it with the Hufflepuffs, thankfully. Harry did not feel like confronting Malfoy right now. They walked inside and sat down together in the back. Snape was up front looking through some papers on his desk as the chalk magically wrote ingredients on the chalk board. He stood up and walked in front of his desk.

“Settle down class,” he said loudly. “Today we will make a transformation potion that will turn a human into any animal, and any animal into humans. We will test your potion on these toads.” He pointed to a large cage of chirping frogs, then, looked at Jen and smirked. “We also have a new student, class. We will just have to see how good she is,” he added icily.

He instructed them to mix the ingredients on the board to make the potion. Harry noticed as he was powdering his dung beetles that Jen wasn’t lying when she said Potions was one of her worst subjects. He could see her sweating as she clumsily poured the ingredients into her cauldron. Of course, being the new student, she was stalked by Snape constantly. He didn’t say anything, but just sneered and shook his head. After a while though, when he came over, he looked like he was actually going to speak to her. Harry looked at her nervously; he knew she didn’t know how evil Snape could be.

“Well, well, well Ms. Lesley. He looked at her potion, which was obviously wrong because it was pink and Hermione’s was a royal blue. “This will never do. Give it to one of those frogs and it will explode,” he raised his greasy head and did the same thing he did to Harry’s potion the previous year. With one swift flick of his wand, her cauldron was empty. “Obviously we won’t be having a star student here.”

Jen’s eyes filled with tears, and she ran from the room into the hallway. Everyone watched her with sad faces, and some threw some scolding glares at Snape. Snape just walked back up to the front of his room and told the students to continue with their work sternly. “Jen-,” Harry stuttered and ran after her. He stepped outside the classroom and found her sitting beside the door, her face in her hands and crying. Harry sat down next to her. She looked up at him and slightly smiled at him, her shiny blonde hair in her face. “I’m sorry, Jen. We should have told you how mean Snape could be,” Harry said smiling at her back.

She wiped her eyes on her sleeve and said, “No, I guess I deserved it,” she laughed lightly, “That potion was terrible!”

“Actually, I thought it was better than mine,” he said, staring into her diamond blue eyes. With one hand he gently pushed the hair out of her face and tucked it behind her ears.

Suddenly Hermione came out, looking for Jen, “Oh Jen! I’m so sorry that happened! Snape was totally out of line. That was not respectful for a teacher to do! Sending a student out in tears! We should complain to McGonagall, this can’t be-” as Hermione rambled on, Harry and Jen exchanged smiles and walked back into the class.




The rest of the class went fine, as well and the rest of the day. After classes were over Harry went to the library to study. When he came back, he found the common room unusually empty, except for Jen. She was sitting on the big red couch and playing a soft melody on her guitar. He walked over and sat down next to her. She noticed he was there and stopped playing. “Oh. Hey Harry. What’s up?” she said to him.

“Nothing, I just came back from the library and saw you playing so I sat down,” Harry said.

“Oh,” there was silence for a moment than she said, “So, can you wait for the dance? Hermione told me the decorations where going to be beautiful. Who are you going with?”

“No one, yet. I heard you are going with Neville,” Harry hesitated, “Err, do you… like him?”

She blushed. “Yeah, I think I do.”




The days went by and, as usual, Harry kept liking Jen more and more, and it made him miserable. He might even love her. He didn’t know, nor did he want to. He knew it would just make him sadder to admit to himself that he actually loved her. But soon, he couldn’t help it. He loved her. Everything she did was amazing. He couldn’t help himself.

Soon, it was the day of the dance. He didn’t have a date, but didn’t want one. He didn’t even want to go at all. He knew Ron would make him though, and for some reason he had a feeling he should.

The girls went up to the dormitory three hours early to get ready. Harry, Ron, and Neville heard squeals every now and then. Every time one of the girls squealed Ron would walk up to the foot of the stairs and holler something like, “Hey! Keep it down up there!” and the girls would just giggle. Soon, they boys went up and changed into dress robes. Ron still had better new dark blue dress robes that Fred and George got him for his birthday. Harry had gotten some new forest green robes when they were in Diagon Alley doing their school shopping. They went back down to the common room and waited some more. Then, the girls came down. Ginny came down first with a light blue dress (the girls were wearing Muggle dresses) and her hair in a tight, neat bun. Hermione came down in a red dress. She looked rather pretty. Her hair was down, but straight and shiny. She had a clip with a rose on it pinning her hair back. Then, Jen came down. She looked beautiful. She was wearing a silky light purple dress with a see-through mesh scarf around her shoulders. Her hair was curly and looked like she put a charm on it to make it slightly longer. It was piled up on her head with a few perfect ringlets hanging down. Harry gawked at her for a few seconds, then shook his head and came to his senses when she looked at him with a puzzled look. Harry felt awkward since he was the only one without a date.

They entered the great hall when Professor McGonagall opened the doors. The decorations were beautiful. Everything was decorated in gold. There were tables and menus on them, just like the Yule Ball. People began sitting down and ordering. They all sat at the same table and ordered their food. Harry didn’t talk much. He didn’t feel like it. He glanced at Neville and Jen sadly every now and then as he ate. After everyone was done, the tables went to the sides of the room and the weird sisters came out. Everyone clapped, and then they began to play. People gathered on the dance floor and began to dance. Harry stayed at the table, and the others went to dance. He watched them longingly. A few times some younger students came and asked him to dance, but he refused.

After a while Jen took a break from dancing to go see Harry. She sat down next to him and asked if he was ok. He said yes, then somehow it slipped out, “Wait, no Jen. I can’t lie. I’m not ok. Can you please come outside and talk to me?” Jen looked surprised but said ok. They walked outside into the flowers and bushes. There were faeries in the bushes and they were setting a gorgeous glow on everything, especially Jen. He took her over and sat her on a white stone bench.

He looked into her eyes and said meaningfully, “Jen, there is something I need to tell you. I have been keeping it in for so long and it is making me go crazy. I have to tell you. Jen…” he began to say, “I love you. So much. I'm sorry. I just can't help it.” Then without even thinking, he leaned in and pressed his lips against hers. It was the most wonderful thing he had ever felt.

When they broke apart Jen just said, “Harry… you- you do? Oh, I’m so confused!” she blurted out, then her eyes filling with tears, she stood up and ran away leaving Harry sitting there, thinking about what he just did.
Chapter 5 by loonyluna22
A/N: Mwuahahaha! I lied! I’m going to write one more chapter after this, then the sequel. I think. Actually I just decided this. Anyway, this one is still going to be from the authors POV, but I’m going to tell Jen, Harry, and Neville’s thoughts of this predicament. Yeah. Ok, make sure to REVIEW, because I enjoy it when you REVIEW. REVIEWING is good! I actually really like this chapter. Hope you do!




Jen-

Jen fled into the dance unnoticed because of all the excitement. She ran out and up the stairs to the common room, her thoughts swirling sickly in her head. Tears streaming down her face, she sat in one of the chairs at a table in the common room. She buried her head in her arms and thought of what just happened. She had never thought of Harry like that, but then he told her he loved her and kissed her, and she kissed back. She felt something between them, maybe even more then her and Neville. She didn’t know. She didn’t want to think about it. She wanted everything to just stop. Everything to just go back to the way it was. She liked Harry, but didn’t think that was fair to Neville. She liked Neville too though. Her mind and heart felt like they were being pulled at two ends and about to rip.

A few minutes went by, but it felt like hours to Jen. After a while, she heard the portrait whole swing open and cautious footsteps come in, tearing her thoughts back to reality. Jen looked around and saw a younger girl with fiery red hair and a blue dress walk in.

Jen wiped the tears from her eyes. “Ginny! What are you doing here?” she asked. Then a girl with silky straight brown hair and a red dress walked around the corner. “Hermione?”

“We saw you come in from outside then leave. We thought you might have come here. What’s wrong? You look terrible,” Ginny said to her, looking at the make-up streaked down her face.

Jen managed a crooked smile, then started to leak out all her feelings too fast to understand. “I’msoconfusedHarrykissedmeandnowIlikehimtoobutthat’snotfairtoNevilletobothofthemwhatamIsupposedtodo?”

“Uh, we feel for you Jen, but can you repeat that slowly and in English?” Hermione said, as her and Ginny went to sit down in chairs by Jen.

Jen took a deep breath and said clearly, “I’m so confused! Harry kissed me and told me he loved me and now I think I love him too!” At this Hermione and Ginny raised there eyebrows in shock. "I may even love him more than Neville! But I still like Neville, and that’s not fair! I don’t know what I’m supposed to do!”

“Wow, Jen. That’s a tough spot. I don’t have much to say to that except, I know this might sound cheesy but, follow your heart. You either have to choose Harry or Neville, or neither. It’s that simple. I’m sorry,” Ginny said sadly. Hermione nodded in agreement.

“It’s not simple!” Jen wailed, beginning to cry again. She rested her head in her hands and cried into them. Hermione gently patted her back.

Soon Jen looked up and said sorrowfully, “Well, I guess I’ll go to bed. I’ll just have to think on this.” She sighed and stood up. Hermione and Ginny hugged her then she trudged up the stairs.




Harry-

Harry just stood there, not moving from the spot. Why did he do that? What in the world was he thinking? I made her cry! Why am I so stupid? I hurt her so badly…, he thought to himself, hitting his forehead with the heel of his hands angrily.

You were just admitting your feelings to her. That’s no crime, another part of his mind said.

Yes it is! She’s with Neville. I just needed to butt out and forget it!

As he was battling with himself, he looked up and saw Ron looking around, standing in a doorway to the dance. Harry would have called out to him, but he couldn’t. He never wanted to speak again. But, Ron saw him anyway, and ran towards him.

“Harry! What happened out here? I just saw Jen flee out of the dance like a rampaging hippogriff attacked her. Hermione and Ginny went to see what’s wrong,” he said sitting down next to Harry. Harry groaned and put his face in his hands again. Ron’s expression suddenly changed to shock. “You didn’t!” Ron spluttered. Harry just groaned into his hands. “Harry! You don’t just go blurting stuff out like that!”

Harry lifted his head from his hands. “I love her so much! I couldn’t stop myself! I just…oh…I don’t know!” he groaned.

Ron sighed and stood up. “Well, you better go talk to Jen,” he said matter-of-factly.

Harry stood up too. “No,” he said, Ron gave him a puzzled look. “I need to talk to Neville,” he added hurriedly, then rushed into the dance.




Harry went to the table everyone was sitting at earlier. He found Neville sitting there alone. “Neville, I need to talk to you,” Harry said sitting down next to him.

“Harry, what’s going on? I couldn’t find anyone. Is there something wrong?” Neville asked, turning to Harry.

Harry gathered the courage inside him took a deep breath and said, “Ok, err, I told Jen I loved her then kissed her. She said she was confused and she ran away. I think we should let her choose, you know, between us,” Harry said in one breath.

“Oh. Yeah. O-okay,” was all Neville could say, staring blankly at the wall opposite.

“I’m going to go talk to her now. If you want to come you can,” Harry said standing up and walking away. He faintly heard Neville mutter something, but he just kept walking. When he walked up to the painting of the Fat Lady, it swung open write in the middle of the Fat Lady’s "Password?"

Hermione and Ginny walked out, going back to the dance. “Harry! You just missed Jen. She went to bed,” Hermione said, still walking.

Harry cursed under his breath and decided he would just have to talk to her tomorrow. The last thing he wanted to do is go back to the dance, so he just went upstairs to bed, even though he wasn’t tired a bit.




Neville-

Neville sat at the table. His mind was blank; he didn’t know what to think. He didn’t know if he should be mad at Harry, Jen, or himself. He was confused and barley knew what just happened. Half of him wanted to go after Harry and half of him wanted to stay in that place forever. After long and hard thinking he decided that this all came down to Harry. His thoughts changed from confused to mad at Harry and he got up and went after him, ready to blow up at him, but when he got to the common room, neither Harry nor Jen was there. Still livid, he went up to the dormitory, and saw Harry asleep. He was about to wake him up, but he decided it wasn’t totally his fault and he shouldn’t completely hate him, so he went to bed.




The next day Harry didn’t get a chance to talk to Jen all through classes. He, Jen, and Neville barely spoke a word all day. At breakfast and lunch Hermione, Ron, and Ginny tried to strike up conversations, but soon gave up after getting many grunts and "I dunno's" in response.

After the last class, Harry went to the common room, and found Jen at a table with a book alone. He took a deep breath and walked over to her. He sat down across from her. “Jen, we need to talk,” he began. She closed her book and nodded. "Well, um…about yesterday I kind of-” but he was cut off by Jen.

“I have been thinking a lot on this, and,” she slowly leaned closer, and then hesitated. “I love you, too,” she breathed. Then she put her hand behind his neck and pulled him into a kiss. He wished they could just stay like that forever.

But, little did they know, a short stocky boy was peeking around the corner from the stairs and watching them, a scowl on his face. With one last dirty look, Neville Longbottom turned and went into the boy’s dormitory.




A/N: Dun, dun, dun (again)!
Chapter Six by loonyluna22
Last chapter (this one is going to be fairly short)! Well sort of. If some of you people thought this was way to short then you are right! This was kind of like the prequel. The sequel is going to be MUCH better (well in my opinion). Anyway, this chapter is going to be at the end of the year (6th). I’m going to be skipping time a lot.

________________________________________________________________________

Harry sighed as he packed up his belongings. Another year gone, just like that, he thought, and next year was his last. He was rearranging everything in his trunk so it could fit, when he found an old ugly sock with a lump at the toe. He shook it upside down on his bed and out rolled his old sneak-o-scope. He smiled and remembered when Ron gave that to him. He suspected it would work now that Peter Pettigrew, disguised as Scabbers, is gone. He knew it might come in handy someday so he put it on top of everything in his trunk.

“Harry come on! The carriages can’t wait forever,” he heard his girlfriend, Jen, yelling.

He slammed his trunk closed and lugged it down to the common room. Ron, Hermione, Jen, Ginny, and Neville were there. He nodded and they all picked up their stuff to go outside to the sunny June weather. Luna was waiting for them outside of a carriage. They all climbed in and sat down. They felt a jerk and the carriage was off.

They all just sat there in silence for a while. Harry knew He, Jen, Ron, and Hermione would all be snogging if Neville, Ginny and Luna weren’t there. Sooner or later everyone started talking. He looked over at Luna. Luna was talking to Ginny merrily. She didn’t have a boyfriend, but didn’t even seem like she was interested in guys at all. He shifted his gaze to Ginny. She was going out with a guy named Joey Deb in 5th year. She was a lot prettier than she was two years ago, and matured a lot. He looked over at Ron and Hermione. He was shocked at there secret, but so glad they got together. He knew they had loved each other ever since they first met. Neville was sitting next to him, staring at his feet. He felt bad for Neville, but he had taken it quite well. He was a little more quite, but seemed fine. He turned and smiled and Jen. She smiled back and took his hand, and he squeezed it back. He loved her so much. He turned and watched the bright green grass roll by.

Harry reluctantly stepped down off the carriage with the others and boarded the Hogwarts Express. They all got a compartment together, and after much trouble of getting their luggage up above their heads, sat down.

“Whew!” Hermione said sitting down next to Ron, then sighed, “I can’t believe next year is our last here, and it will only be Jen’s second. What are you guys going to do after school has ended?”

“I think I’m going to get a job at the Ministry somewhere. I’ll get a flat too, even though I’m going to leave in two years. School won’t be the same without you guys,” Ginny said getting out her favorite magazine, Witch Weekly.

“Ginny, give it up. You know we won’t be able to move out tell we’re 34, or some how obtain enough money to pay for it ourselves,” Ron said rolling his eyes.

Ginny smirked, “I have a little deal worked out with Fred and George.”

Jen looked worried, “It isn’t anything illegal, is it?”

“No! I’m just going to work for them part time,” she suddenly looked depressed. “For like the rest of my life.”

“I’m probably going to be an auror,” Jen said and smiled as Ron and Harry yelled, “Me too!”

“I have no clue what I’m going to do. Maybe something that has to do with S.P.E.W. I could get a job at the ministry somewhere that helps Elfish welfare, but not only Elves. I could get together an organization in the Ministry that helps all badly treated magical creatures. Maybe SPMCW…” Hermione rambled on.

“Neville what are you going to do?” Harry asked loudly, cutting Hermione off. She gave him a reproachful look. Neville was just staring out the window mindlessly, and Harry wanted to include him in the conversation.

Neville suddenly snapped back from gazing out the window. “Oh! Err, I’m probably going to do something with Herbol-“

Suddenly, Malfoy burst in the room, shattering the glass. He obviously wanted to make a dramatic entrance, but failed. He looked around with shifty eyes then repaired it with his wand. “Er, um, yes. Hello everyone,” he said.

“Nice entrance, Malfoy,” She said, raising her eyebrows. We don’t want any of your bloody ‘American girl, mudblood blah, blah, blah, blah’ crap, ok? Bye, bye,” Jen said waving her hand in mock goodbye.

“Shut your unworthy mouth, mudblood. Go back to America were you belong,” him and his malicious laughter rang through the compartment, along with Crabbe and Goyle’s stupid chuckling.

“Get out of here, Malfoy before I hex you to Scotland,” Harry said through gritted teeth. Malfoy did some things with his eyebrows, then left.

“Why can’t he just fall in a ditch?” Ron whined.

“Come on you guys. Dra- uh, Malfoy can be mean sometimes, but he isn’t terrible,” Ginny said nervously looking around at everyone.

“Ginny do you hear the words that are coming out of your mouth?!” everyone yelled.

A few hours later, the train pulled to a stop. They all got their stuff and left the train. Ron and Ginny saw the Weasleys, and Ginny ran over. Ron and Hermione had to make their “goodbyes”. Harry saw the Dursleys standing in a shady place. Each of them looked like they would rather be locked in a room with a Chimaera then be there. Harry saw Jen waving at her parents. They kissed passionately, said goodbye, and went to there guardians. As Neville walked over to his parents, he knew he was going to get back at Harry. Somehow, someway he would.
________________________________________________________________________

Well the sequel will be up soon! It’s called Come and Stop the Rain. Please check it out when it is up! Piece of advise: remember the sneak-o-scope! Sorry that it took so long to get this chapter up… with the midterms, and the tests, and the friends, and the stuff, and just all the… HOOPLA! Ahem. Yes. REVIEW!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=4317