Sometimes, It's Okay to Be Happy by Rons chick
Summary: Ron and Hermione were all about love, right? But it is now two years after the end of the War and they are reuniting for the first time. Experience, first-hand, as they try to remember that time so long ago when love had trapped them in its spell. Ron wonders if it was Ginny and Harry that drove Hermione away from him. Only time will tell; and maybe a few memories... This is a Ron/Hermione fic, but there are many referances to Ginny/Harry.





Chapter 7 is officially APPROVED!!!!

Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 21603 Read: 27391 Published: 01/31/06 Updated: 09/02/07

1. Letters by Rons chick

2. 14 Minutes of You by Rons chick

3. Revelations and Tears by Rons chick

4. The Anniversary Gift by Rons chick

5. All Answers Cause Questions by Rons chick

6. Daddy, Come Back by Rons chick

7. Daddy's Back by Rons chick

Letters by Rons chick
Disclaimer: These characters are not a product of my mind; JK Rowling takes proud responsibility for that!


Chapter 1

Letters

“Why are you here, Ronald?”

Ron Weasley stared at the girl in front of him. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

“Things aren’t the way they were supposed to be,” he said. He’d been planning how to put this for a couple of hours.

“What?” the girl spat through her tears.

“You heard me loud and clear. Look,” he decided to change the subject when he noticed that the look on her face was still full of shock and fury and sadness. “One cup of coffee; nothing more. We haven’t seen each other in years. Let’s just go get a cup of tea or something and…err…catch up, I guess,”

“Catch up, you guess,” she let out an exasperated huff. “You guess you want us to…catch up,”

Ron nodded and offered her an innocent smile.

She shook her head hysterically. “Fine; one cup,”

“So, how have you been, Ron?” Hermione asked as she sat across from him at a small table in an unfamiliar coffee shop.

It wasn’t too busy, but just busy enough so that no one could hear them. Hermione was messing with the sticker from a price tag at the bottom of her glass of tea. It was obvious that this place was new. She didn’t look up when Ron answered.

“Fine,” Ron said, deciding that telling her the truth, which was that he had been miserable, would have been the wrong choice. “You?” he asked her.

She thought for a moment. She wanted to say that she had been lonely while living in a house of two; that she had been tired from taking care of more than just herself; that she had been dreading the day when he come back for her but at the same time she was surprised that it had taken him a little under two years. But she pushed these honest words to the back of her mind.

“Likewise,” she said.

Moments passed which turned into minutes. Too many thoughts were stirring in Hermione’s mind; too many memories.

“Why are you here, Ron?” she asked calmly as she looked up at him. They finally met eyes.

“Did you love him?” Ron asked with hurt dripping from each syllable.

“Who?” Hermione asked, confused.

“Harry,” Ron said.

Hermione screwed up her face. What exactly was Ron getting at?

“Excuse me!” Hermione shot.

Ron shook his head. “Not like that, ‘Mione. We grew up together. Did you love him like the brother you could tell anything to?” Ron explained.

Hermione felt the tears start to gather at her eyelids. “Yes,” she said.

“Me, too,” Ron whispered. “And Ginny?”

“Yes,” she said again.

This time, the tears fell freely. Hermione grabbed a napkin and wiped at her tears. It was no use, though, because the napkin was soaked before long. She looked up at Ron. He was holding his face in his hands with his elbows up on the table.

“Why are you doing this?” she whispered through her waterfall of tears.

“Because I had to know if I was the only one battling to stay alive,” he explained.

“Battling to not kill yourself?” Hermione asked.

“No, battling to not put myself out of my misery,” he said.

“No, you’re not the only one,”

“Then I must ask: why did you leave me? They left for good, ‘Mione! They died saving the lives of the rest of the world when they defeated Voldemort. And no sooner had they gone, had you left me, too,” Ron said, no longer hiding his own tearful face.

This was too much for Hermione and no matter how much she could try, he wouldn’t understand. She shook her head and gave Ron a look of pure despair. It had been more hurtful than she’d intended, but Ron brought back memories that Hermione had spent two years trying to forget. She got up and threw her coat around herself.

“You’re leaving me again. I knew you would. But before you do, take these,” Ron handed her two letters. “One is from Harry and one from Ginny. They always thought ahead. I found them in Harry’s desk. I’ve got two, as well. Don’t worry, I haven’t read yours. But know that I’m not going anywhere. I never have,” He watched a small tear run down her cheek and smiled as she didn’t bother to rid her face of it.

She took the letters without looking at him. She was too ashamed. She never had deserved him before, and she knew within her heart that she never would. She turned without a word and left the coffee shop, ironically walking out into the rain. Ron watched from his seat as she suddenly disappeared.

Ron reached into his pocket and took out his letter from Ginny. He had just found it yesterday, but there were crease marks and wrinkles from all of the times he’d read it. He opened it, once again and stared down at it.

The first time he’d read it, he had just been surprised that she’d known she would die. The second time over, he was just sad and depressed. The third time he cried and left smudges on the paper. The fourth and fifth times were just read-overs for him to take in the words that his sister was speaking to him before dieing. But the last few times, he had understood the beauty of each and every word. He had finally understood that this was Ginny, his only sister, speaking her heart out to him, knowing that she would pass, and not wanting to pass with these words unspoken. That was the time when he realized just how precious every moment is in life. And he also realized that everything Ginny had written had a meaning or purpose in his life; present or future. This time, he would read it to remember; he would read it to go back in time.

Ronald:
If you are reading this, I have passed away in the war. You are my brother and one of my best friends. I owe everything to you. As kids, us being the youngest of the bunch, we were always the closest. But then you left me the year you started at Hogwarts. I remember that summer right before you left; we made the best of it. We made a promise that you never broke.


Ron smiled as he read this part. He did remember that summer before his first year at Hogwarts. He remembered it more vividly than anyone could imagine.

(Flashback)

“Rawwwwwn!” 10-year-old Ginny put an emphasis on her brother’s name as she whined for him. “I NEED HELP!” she screamed.

11-year-old Ron came running toward Ginny. He lifted her from behind and put her on his shoulders. She giggled. Ron grunted.

“You’re getting fat,” he said as he tried to balance her.

She slapped his head. “Am not, you’re just getting weak!” she retorted.

He snorted. “Perlease!” he said sarcastically imitating the way she talked.

She laughed and hit his shoulder. He carefully placed her on the ground and helped her clean the dishes from breakfast.

“Mum?” Ginny asked as she noticed her mother enter the kitchen.

“Yes, Ginny, dear?” Mrs. Weasley asked.

“Why do we have to do this by hand? We never did this before.”

Mrs. Weasley smiled. “Because,” she said, “soon you will all be able to do magic and you will have never experienced the life without magic because you live in a magic household. I made Fred and George do it before they started at Hogwarts, Percy before them, and Bill and Charlie before him.”

Ginny rolled her eyes and Ron stifled a chuckle. The older she got, the more Ginny reminded him of their mother. But he would never tell her that because he didn’t want to be the victim of Ginny and her anger. They listened to their mother leave and then Ginny looked over at Ron.

“You’re leaving me,” Ginny said quietly.

“Ginny, it won’t be for long! Next year you’ll be with us,” Ron said.

“But you will have already made friends. You won’t remember me,” she said.

“Ginny,” Ron stopped drying the dishes and faced Ginny, “look at me. I will remember you. And I’ll miss you. I’m not leaving you forever; I promise,”

Ginny reached up and grabbed him into a big hug.

“Best always and forever?” Ginny asked.

Ron smiled. “Best,”

(End Flashback)


Ron smiled and continued to read the letter.

You never forgot me, brother. You led me to Harry. I owe you my life, for without you, I would have never met Harry. And without Harry, my point in life would have been nothing. Thank you, Ron. And thank you for never forgetting me and our promise. No matter what, in my heart, we will always be best, always and forever.

Hermione. You deserve her Ron, and she deserves you. Don’t let my death cause pain and suffering for the two of you. It will be hard, I know, but comfort each other. Get through it together. She will be going through something that I mustn’t speak about. All I can say is that she will need a helping hand and I have made it clear that I want you to be her hand. Help her, please my brother. She will explain when she is ready. All I ask is that you and her stick together. It took you so long to realize you loved each other, you have wasted much of your life together. Don’t waste more. Don’t be like me and Harry.

Harry. He is my life, Ron. From the day I saw him at King’s Cross and I didn’t even know he was Harry Potter then. You led him to me. Like I’ve said, for that I am eternally grateful. Please don’t forget him, Ron. He will need his two best friends. You are and have been for many years now, his best friend. He was so ecstatic the day you agreed to be the best man at our wedding. That day was the most beautiful day I have experienced in my life. I’m so happy you were a part of it.

Thank you, Ron, for more things than I can express. We are best, no matter what, always and forever. I love you so much. Never forget me, Ron. Keep your promise. And please, love Hermione with all of your heart. Fulfill a life with her that Harry and I only had months of. Fulfill it with years and years of memories and tears, pain and happiness, sorrow and joy. I love you Ron. Always and Forever.

Your Only Sister,
Ginny
Ginnerva Molly Weasley


Ron took out a tissue and wiped his tears away. He took a deep breath, folded the letter back up and placed it in his pocket, put some money on the table, and apparated back to his apartment down the way from the Burrow.


A/N: This story has been sitting at the back of my mind for a while now. I hope you like it, but tell me what you really think. I'm all for constructive critisism! Thanks for reading, now PLEASE review!!! Thanks so much!

Manda*
P.S. Much is to come!
14 Minutes of You by Rons chick
Disclaimer: These characters are not the product of my mind; J.K. Rowling takes proud responsibility for that!


“Where have you been?” Mrs. Weasley asked when Ron arrived for dinner at the Burrow. It had been a week since he’d watched Hermione leave him at the coffee shop. He sighed and leaned down to kiss his mother’s cheek.

“Work,” he answered simply as he shoved a roll into his mouth.

“Ronald, don’t spoil your dinner!” Mrs. Weasley scolded. She shooed him over to the table and he held his hands up in defeat before sitting down. He was twenty-two and still getting yelled at by his mother.

“What was keeping you?” Mr. Weasley asked when he entered the kitchen and took a seat at the table across from his youngest son. Ron shrugged.

“Coach wanted to talk. Says he’ll raise my pay by a third if I stay… I said I’d talk to Peter,” Ron explained.

“Son, stay with the Cannons! Who cares about this new team Peter Malcomb is creating!” Mr. Weasley replied earnestly.

“Dad, going with the new team means making myself a title. There was no one before me and nobody to compare me to,” Ron explained. He didn’t actually care about creating a title for himself. He really didn’t care much about Quidditch at all these days. The only reason he did it was because it was the one thing that connected him to Harry and Ginny. It was the only thing they all had in common. Harry, Ginny and Hermione had always had that sense about them that they used when trying to solve another riddle, another question, another problem. He had always been left out of that loop.

“Whatever you say, son,” Mr. Weasley told him.

Ron got up suddenly from his seat and started out of the kitchen. “Be back,” he said. His parents didn’t question him. They knew where he was going because he went there every time he was at the house, for a reason unknown to them.

When he walked through the door to Harry’s and Ginny’s room he took a deep breath in. He loved the smell of the room. It reminded him of the last night all four of them had been in it.

Flashback

“It seems so weird,” Ginny thought aloud to the room. She was laying face-up on her and Harry’s bed with her legs hanging off the end. She was focusing on the ceiling. Harry was looking out of the window while Ron was standing, leaning against the closet door, and Hermione was spread out on the carpet, also looking up at the ceiling. They were all deep in thought.

“It won’t be for long, right?” Hermione asked the room.

“No, it won’t be long,” Harry answered, never taking his eyes away from whatever he was watching out of the window.

“Harry,” Ginny whispered. Harry’s head snapped toward her and Ron looked down at Hermione.

Harry sat down on the carpet with his knees up and spread apart. Ginny walked over to him and sat between his legs, pulling her knees up to her chest and laid a hand on each of Harry’s thighs.

Hermione sat up as Ron came over to her and sat behind her. She scooted back so that she was sitting against him, both of their legs straddled out. She pushed her head back into his chest and he laid his chin on it. He wrapped his arms around her when he felt her tremble with tears.

“You can’t leave me for long!” she cried.

“Don’t cry, love, we won’t,” Ron soothed.

“Yeah, Ron’s right. I mean, we are accident prone! We’ll probably see you soon, Healer Granger,” Ginny giggled. Hermione smiled weakly.

“Thanks, Mrs. Potter,” she said and Ginny smiled proudly.

“Yes, I am! And soon we’ll have little Potters running around this house!”

Harry pulled Ginny closer to him.

“You’re pregnant?” Ron cried. The room laughed.

“No, Ronald! Do you seriously think that I would fight and finish this war if I were?” Ginny asked incredulously.

Ron shrugged. “Never know. You are so damn stubborn! Besides, I was just taking care of my kid sister, even if you are nineteen. If ‘Mione was pregnant, then I wouldn’t let her fight,” Ron explained.

“Well, you wouldn’t have to worry about that if I were, Ron, because I’m not fighting anymore, anyway,” Hermione pointed out.

“True. Ginny, I’m just taking care of you. The best care,” Ron told her.

Ginny cocked her head to one side. “Always?” she whispered.

“Forever,” Ron whispered back before winking.


End Flashback

Ron was crying again. He wiped at his tears and walked over to the desk where he’d found the letters before. He opened the drawer again, to see the other two letters were still there. ’To Harry, Love Ginny’ one read. ’To Ginny’ the other read. Ron decided to take them to the graveyard and read them there. They would have liked that. He put them in his pocket and walked downstairs for supper.

**********

Ron, I was wondering if I could come over to talk. Quarter to six is good for me if you can. Please write back as soon as possible. ~Hermione G.

Ron read the letter quickly before writing ‘See you at quarter to, Ron’ at the bottom of the paper. He rolled the paper up again and reattached it to the small owl’s leg. When it flew away, he looked over at the clock above his desk. It was five already…he looked back down at the two letters on his desk. He had found them yesterday night and hadn’t read them yet, because he was working all day. He sighed and slid them into his desk drawer. He would go to the graveyard in a couple of weeks, when he found the time.

He looked around at his apartment and decided to tidy up a little. He was straightening his room when he heard a knock. Hermione was waiting at his front door patiently when he got there. He offered her a drink, but she shook her head.

“I can’t stay for long,” she told him.

“Me, neither. I’m having supper at the Burrow at half six,” he explained. He sat down at his kitchen table and motioned for her to take a seat as well.

She obeyed. “I can’t stay past six,” she said, and he nodded. “I just wanted to come by and apologize about the other day. I shouldn’t have run off like that. I’m sorry,”

“Don’t be, you were upset. I understand and I accept your apology. I was upset when I found the letters, too.”

“I’m glad you understand.”

The room was silent for a moment, then Ron sighed and put his face in his hands. “What’s going on, Hermione? What is it that you aren’t you telling me?” Ron asked, talking into his hands.

Hermione closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “Nothing, Ron, please don’t start this again. I didn’t come here to fight,” Hermione pleaded.

Ron looked at her with a look of confusion.

“Just tell me what’s going on!” he yelled.

“You wouldn’t understand!” she shot back.

“Try me,” he whispered.

“I made a mistake two years ago that I can’t take back. I pushed you away. You’ll never understand now,” she told him through her tears.

“Are you…are you pregnant?” he stuttered.

“No, Ron, I’m not. You were my only…”

“Then, what? You’ve got a baby at home that’s mine?”

“No, I don’t have a baby at home that is ours.”

“Did you snog another guy while we were together?”

“No, Ron.”

“Did you change your preferences, then? Are you a les-“

“NO!” she shrieked, sounding disgusted.

“THEN WHY’D YOU LEAVE ME?” he shouted, unable to control his anger any longer.

She turned her head away and wiped at her tears. “I’ve…I’ve got to go. I told you I couldn’t stay past six. It’s five fifty-nine.”

“We’re not finished talking yet,” his voice cracked as he said this calmly, his voice filled with pain.

“I’m sorry. I really have got to go,” she told him. As she turned toward the fire, grabbing a handful of Floo Powder, Ron noticed something drop from her pocket. He walked over to it and slowly picked it up. Before he could give it to her, though, she was gone. He looked down at the paper in his hand. It was a letter. It was her letter from Ginny. Ron smiled as he realized how very closely it resembled his own. Even tear marks stained the page causing smudge marks in the words. Should he? He’d gone through this before when he’d found them. This time was different, though. Then, he was just curious at what his sister would write to her best friend. This time he wondered if maybe it held the secrets he so needed to know about the girl he once loved. The girl he would never stop loving.

He shook his head in an attempt to empty his head of such thoughts as to invade Hermione’s privacy. He cursed himself as he carefully placed the letter into the drawer with the others. He scribbled a note to his parents saying that he would be missing supper. He sent it off before grabbing his coat and going to the local bar down the road, slamming the door behind him.

He really knew how to screw things up.


A/N: Here is the second chapter. It is really short, I know, and I am sorry. Big thanks to leah3467 and Luna Obsessed, my betas. While you wait for my next chapter, check out my other fanfic, Never What it Seems. Thanks for reading, now please review!

Manda*
Revelations and Tears by Rons chick
Hermione sat in her kitchen, drinking her tea in a mug her parents had given her when she moved out.

She had a foot on the chair, elevating her knee to rest her chin on it. It was silent and she would sometimes sit like this before heading to bed. It had been a long day. It was always hard to make it through a day when you were one of the best and most asked for Healers in St. Mungo’s.

She sighed and took another sip of tea. Her conversation with Luna Lovegood that day was swimming in her head. She was wondering how honest she had been when she’d told Luna they were moving on.

Flashback

“You look good, today,” Luna told her and Hermione smiled.

“Thanks,” she replied. “I think I’m going to see him tonight and apologize.”

Luna nodded in response. “Good idea. You have to let him know.”

Hermione and Luna had become friends when Hermione became a Healer two years ago, three months before Harry and Ginny had passed. Luna was there for her when Hermione had finally started to open up about loving Ron and leaving him. She’d told Luna her deepest secret and Luna had been there the entire time, giving her support and being the best friend Hermione could ask for. She’d immediately told Luna about Ron coming to her with the letters and she’d even let Luna read the letters and the gifts that each letter held.

“How about you? Is today a good day?” Hermione asked her friend. Luna nodded with a satisfied face.

“So far, so good. Neville Longbottom asked me to dinner with him last night after your shift ended.”

“And you replied with…?”

“Well, I said I’d go, if that’s what you’re getting at. It’s no big deal, just dinner,” Luna explained.

Hermione broke out into a huge grin. “Neville is one of the best guys I’ve ever met, and, if I might say so myself, he is quite a looker now-a-days!”

Luna shrugged. Her long blonde hair hadn’t changed since school and it hung loosely to her back. She grabbed it with both hands and started to put it up into a complicated twist before wrapping a rubber band around it to keep it in place. Hermione saw the many pictures of Luna’s patients formed into a necklace wrapped around Luna’s pale neck. They worked in the children’s ward together.

“Hey! We are both moving forward, right? You move on from the stupid scumbag prat that admitted he used you, and I’m moving on from…I’m moving on as well,” Hermione said as she lifted her head in fear of touching that subject.

“You’re right.” Luna patted her back and they left the locker-room of St. Mungo’s to tend to their patients.

End Flashback

Hermione smiled. How had things been screwed up again? She was trying to move on, but then Ron had appeared at her doorstep with letters from her past. The letters contained more of a roadblock to moving on. She had it easy, if she thought about it. She left Ron before he could dismiss her. But Luna had had it terribly.

After Hermione had left Ron, she went into hiding. She still went to work but never really talked to anyone, only ‘hello’s’ and ‘goodbye’s’ and it took her three months to open up to Luna. Meanwhile, Luna is getting thrown away by some prick and she grieves the same way Hermione does: silently.

She got up from her seat with a sigh and put her mug in the sink. Before she could wash it, a loud knock ruptured her door. She jumped, aware of a little boy in the other room asleep and she raced to the door, taking a glance at the clock, which showed that it was nearly midnight.

She saw a very relaxed and dozed Ron standing on her porch and gasped.

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

“HERMIONE!” Ron shouted in triumph.

“What the bloody hell?! Ron, are you drunk?” Hermione said in an exasperated tone, as she glared at the red-head in front of her.

He laughed giddily, confirming Hermione’s question. “No, ‘Mione, I just had a couple drinks,” he stuttered.

“Yeah, I’m sure. Damn it, Ronald Weasley!” She sighed, thinking of what to do next. “I can’t take you back to your place, Ron, I’m babysitting for a friend for the night. It’s way too late to call your mother. No “ Ron what are you “ NO “ what in the hell are you doing?” she hissed before grabbing his hand away from the light above her door.

“It could be a light for the dark! I can’t see where I’m going, I don’t know where my wand is,” he said, as his voice went from happy to sad in his one statement.

Hermione took a deep breath before grabbing his hand and leading him into her house. Ron looked around curiously at the place, he’d visited it once before. She led him over to her sofa and sat him down.

“Sit here, please, I’ve got to get you a glass of water. Don’t move, Ronald! And shut your damn mouth, I have a baby in the other room.” She went to the kitchen and picked up her wand from the table where she’d been sitting. She shot a silence spell toward the room that the baby was sleeping in and grabbed a glass from a cabinet. She turned on the baby monitor and heard his breathing.

“Wassat?” Ron asked pointing to the monitor in her hand as she handed him the glass of water.

“It’s called a baby monitor, Ronald. My friend and her husband are Muggles and this is a devise that lets you hear what’s going on in the baby’s room.”

Hermione remembered the Firewhiskey potion in her nurse cabinet in the bathroom. She’d brewed it around a month ago when one of the girl’s from work had thrown an engagement party. It put the drunk to sleep for a while until the alcohol had worn off, but it only worked for those who’d had Firewhiskey.

“Ron, why were you drinking?” she asked softly. He sighed and looked over at her, now settled at the end of the sofa.

“I always muck it up. We were doing alright again, I think, but I always muck it up.”

“You didn’t muck it up, Ron.”

“Yes, I did. I did “ I always do. She hates me.”

“Who?”

“I think she used to love me. That was a long time ago. She hates me now. I ruin everything.”

“Who?”

“Her,” he took a deep breath, “She was mine a while back. I was goin’a marry her. She loved me then.”

Hermione had caught on and figured out that he was talking about her. She closed her eyes tight for a moment before sucking in a long breath. “Did you love her?”

Ron snorted. “She knew that! She knew that she was the only person I could love, EVER. But I ruined it. She left me. And then there was Luna. I muck everything up.”

“What about Luna?”

“I used her. I didn’t mean to. She’d been gone for two months and Luna was there to help me. She didn’t want me to be sad anymore. I didn’t love Luna, though. I loved her, ‘Mione.”

“Wait a moment, that was you?”

“It was “ wait “ what was me?”

“You hurt Luna! You’re the prat,” Hermione whispered in realization. Ron nodded and involuntarily started crying.

“I didn’t mean to. I didn’t love her. But Hermione didn’t love me! I’m not good enough for her. I’m not good enough for anyone. I ruin everything.”

“Ronald,” she whispered through the silent waterfall erupting from her face. “I would tell you what I think of you and how big of a cockroach you are, but I won’t waste my effort. You won’t remember anything tomorrow.” She pointed her wand down the hall and silently called for the Firewhiskey potion, knowing from how strong his breath was that it would work quite effectively.

She shoved the flask into his hand and he drank it with one gulp. He handed her the empty flask and lay down along the sofa as she got up from it. She gave an exasperated huff before flying down the hall to her room and into her bathroom for a towel to catch her everlasting tears. The thought of her best friend being heart broken because of the man she was so in love with had taken a needle and made the hole in her heart a little bit bigger.

**********

“Good morning,” Hermione said wearily as she handed Ron a cup of coffee. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, trying to remember where he was and how he got there. The last thing he really remembered was getting kicked out of that bar in Diagon Alley. He looked around the room after taking a sip of the coffee which Hermione had handed him. He recognized where he was, now. He looked up, searching Hermione’s face for a trace of emotion that would inform him of his actions the night before. She remained calm and emotionless, but also she was drained, as if she hadn’t slept all night.

“I’m sorry for whatever I did last night,” he told her. She smiled weakly. It was a fake, forced smile, Ron could tell, but he let her speak.

“You are apologizing for nothing. You didn’t do anything wrong. I just gave you some water and Firewhiskey potion and you were out,” she explained quietly.

“Thanks,” he motioned around the room, “for everything.”

She got up from her seat on the coffee table. “It’s early. You probably don’t remember me telling you that I’m babysitting. My friend and her husband should be here later to pick up…their son.” Ron noted that her voice was soft and he took the hint, heading toward the kitchen to put his cup in the sink.

“Don’t worry about it, Ron, I can do it,” Hermione told him. She walked over and grabbed the cup from him. She wouldn’t look him in the face.

“Did I say something last night that-“ Ron started.

“No, just leave. Please, Ron, just go home.” She shook her head but wouldn’t look at him or touch him.

He knew by her response that he had said something last night. He always spoke too much when he was drunk, Harry used to tell him that. He headed toward the door, and stepped out onto the porch before Apparating home.

**********

“What’s wrong?” Luna asked Hermione as they sat in Hermione’s kitchen eating a late breakfast later that morning. Hermione had called her by fire after Ron had left. Luna had gotten there at half ten.

“Why didn’t you tell me, Luna?” Hermione asked softly.

Luna looked up, bewildered. “Didn’t tell you what, Hermione?”

“Ron slept over here last night. He got drunk and showed up on my doorstep around midnight. Ron talks when he’s drunk, Luna.” Hermione still spoke softly and Luna understood right away; she hadn’t been a Ravenclaw for nothing.

“I know,” Luna whispered. There was a long silence and Hermione noticed that Luna’s face matched her own in its need for something to dry the tears.

“You tell me everything. Why did you never mention this?” Hermione tried to keep her voice even as the tears began to chase each other down her face.

Luna took a deep breath in attempt to calm herself.

“You and I were never close in school. Out of the four of you, I was closest with Ginny and most distant from you. I always had a hunch that you were with Ron, but when you started at St. Mungo’s you never spoke of your home life. You worked there for three months when you stopped talking altogether, for the most part. Two months after Harry and Ginny passed,Ron showed up at my house completely drunk. I never found out how he knew where I lived. He was mumbling a lot that night. Saying he’d lost his three best friends and he didn’t know what to do with himself. I didn’t understand. I knew that he’d lost Harry and Ginny, but I saw you every day. Hermione I was in love with him from the fifth year on. When he finally wanted me, I was so happy. But then you finally opened up and started telling me everything. The moment I found out that it was you that he loved and you were the reason why he used me, I was speechless.

I saw the hurt in your eyes and the regret of leaving. I knew you were still in love with him as well. I wasn’t about to tell you that it was him who’d done it to me. I didn’t want for you to hate him. I could never do that to you. I didn’t want to hurt you, Hermione! You must understand!”

Luna shrunk into a ball of weeps in her chair and Hermione got out of her own seat to kneel next to her friend. She held Luna in her arms and patted her back. Luna was calming down slowly and Hermione could lightly make out the sound of the little boy and girl in the front room.

A tiny baby girl crawled in the open doorway. She was just learning how to walk. Hermione got up and took the little girl in her arms. She was the spitting image of her mother. Luna used the tissues to wipe her face and blow her nose.

“She’s Ron’s, then?” Hermione asked, referring to the blonde, silvery-eyed chub in her arms. The baby clapped her hands with a coo, making Hermione grin.

Luna shook her head. “I’m certain she’s not his. I hadn’t been with him for a month when I got pregnant with her. I was upset when he left me.”

“If she’s not his, then whose?”

“Hermione, it’s not that I don’t trust you, but only my father knows Star’s real father. Like I said, I was upset. Just like Ron, I needed someone to comfort me.”

“Who is it, Luna?”

“Oliver Wood.”

Hermione was stunned. She didn’t know what to say. “Luna he got married two years ago. I remember seeing you at the wedding.”

“I know. Oliver helped The Quibblertons when he made a spot on the Cannons team. Oliver invited my father, but he couldn’t attend and I went in his place.”

An uncomfortable silence settled over them at this point. Hermione had nothing to say. She was disappointed in Luna, but so relieved that the baby she was holding wasn’t Ron’s.

Luna continued to cry for a while.

Hermione decided that she should put an end to the awkwardness. “Why did you never tell me?”

“That entire part of my life is just a time I don’t particularly fancy revisiting. I know the part of yours that you feel the same way. Now you know mine.”

There was a knock at the door and Hermione prayed it was her two friends, there to pick up the baby boy in the other room. She knew that it wasn’t, though, and went to see who would come to call for her before noon.


A/N: Here is chapter three! I hoped ya’ll liked it! Who do you think is at the door? Let me give you a hint: His hair isn’t orange. Thanks for reading now please, REVIEW! And while waiting for the next chapter, check out my other fic, Never What it Seems! Shoutout to Luna Obsessed and leah3467, my brilliant beta's!

Manda*
The Anniversary Gift by Rons chick
*Recap:

There was a knock at the door and Hermione prayed it was her two friends, there to pick up the baby boy in the other room. She knew that it wasn’t though, and went to see who would come to call for her before noon.

Moving On*


Hermione stared in momentary shock at the man in her doorway. She silently began a list of men that would stand in this place before the year ended. She was shook back to consciousness by the man himself.

“’lo, Hermione. How are you?”

It was an innocent statement, but Hermione was still shaken up about the things she had just heard in her kitchen from Luna. She spoke mechanically, almost stiffly, but she made a point not to sound mean.

“Hello, Oliver. Can I help you with something?”

“Err, yeah. I owled you ‘bout that thing,” he gestured behind her and into the house. “Err…I just came to pick it up.”

Hermione gasped with a sudden wave of memory. “Oh, right. Just a moment, let me get them for you.”

She started to close the door but he stopped it.

“Can I come in, at least?” he asked.

She noted that his tone of voice was sarcastic and rude and she bit back a comment. “Actually, I have guests and I’d rather you stay. Out here; stay out here.”

She gestured to the porch.

“Hermione, who’s here?” Luna asked, her voice coming from the kitchen but getting closer.

Hermione closed her eyes in frustration at being put in this position. Before Luna could get all the way to the door, Hermione closed it.

“It isn’t anybody, just someone I did some work for. He just needs his stuff,” she explained, truthfully.

“Well, surely you aren’t going to make him stay out there? Invite him in for some tea.”

Luna was now face to face with Hermione and reaching for the door. Hermione stopped the door from opening. “He…err…would actually prefer the porch.”

“Hermione, I doubt that anyone in their right mind would actually want to stay outside,” Luna told her, matter-of-factly.

Luna turned the handle, pushed Hermione out of the way, and opened the door. Her jaw tightened and her eyes opened wide in shock. Before she knew what was happening, she had slammed the door in Oliver’s face.

“Luna, what the hell?” Hermione asked.

Luna took a deep breath, not realizing that she had been holding it, and closed her eyes tight. “That’s Oliver Wood on your doorstep.”

Hermione shook her head, trying not to laugh at the fact that Luna had slammed the door in Oliver’s face. “No, really? I thought it was Cornelius Fudge.”

She reached for the door to apologize to Oliver when Luna grabbed her hand.

She looked into Hermione’s eyes to show that she was serious. “His baby is in the kitchen.”

Hermione muttered a charm and handed Luna a tissue from the end of her wand.

“Wipe your eyes and stay strong. J is in the kitchen with Star. Take Oliver in there to talk to him, maybe make some tea. It might be easier to talk when you aren’t completely alone. I really do have to go get that thing for him. I’ll be back in moment,” Hermione said.

Luna wiped her eyes and took another deep breath, letting it out slowly before watching Hermione go. Slowly, she opened the door.

Oliver was still standing there, staring at the door. When he saw her he rubbed his eyes.

“Hermione went to get…whatever it is she made for you. She wanted me to invite you in for some tea,” Luna explained calmly, standing tall.

Oliver didn’t move, as if he thought that moving would cause him to wake up from a dream. Luna pressed further.

“Oliver, it isn’t a dream. I’ll put on a pot for some tea,” Luna told him, as if reading his mind.

She started to walk away, back to the kitchen. Oliver shook his head a few times and rubbed his eyes once more before deciding it wasn’t a dream and following her into the kitchen, closing the door quietly behind himself.

When he reached the kitchen, Luna was filling a pot with water. He looked over when he heard cooing sounds to find a baby boy and girl playing on the floor.

“Wow. She looks just like you,” he whispered, still in shock.

Luna smiled. “I know.”

“And he “ he looks just like-“

“I know.” Luna’s smile was gone, replaced by a fierce look. Her eyes were blazing into him. “We call him J. He is staying with Hermione for the moment. We don’t talk about it. One day you’ll find out. Everyone will. It’s impossible to ignore.”

Oliver was taken aback by this statement and her sudden anger at his simple comment, but decided against pressing the issue and moved on. “So you must be married, then?”

“No.”

“Err…engaged?”

“No.”

“Dating?”

This time, Luna hesitated, her mind flashing to Neville Longbottom. Then she shook her head and said, much lighter, “No.”

“So, does the father even know about her?” he asked.

Luna waved her wand at the pot of tea to poor into two mugs. “Her name is Star. And no, he doesn’t. But, no matter. I prefer it that way a bit more.”

“Wow. So you take care of her yourself?” Oliver asked.

“Been doing it for eleven months, now,” she told him.

He was silent, taking in everything that she had just said. Eleven months ago she’d had the baby. Add nine months onto that and the baby was conceived. The baby’s father didn’t know about her. Just over a year and a half ago, Luna was with…

“She’s mine?” he whispered.

Luna didn’t speak for a moment. She looked up at him and looked directly into his big brown eyes.

“Why would you think that?” she asked him without emotion in her voice.

He was about to answer when Hermione entered the kitchen, a big book tucked under one arm.

“Thank you, Luna,” she stated as she grabbed a mug of tea from Luna’s hand. She handed Oliver the giant photo album from under her arm. “Here you go, Oliver. I’ll owl you when I come up with the bill.”

She went to sit down at the kitchen table, taking J and putting him into his high chair. She lifted her wand, caught the crackers coming toward her, and put them on the plate in front of J. She started to break the crackers into smaller pieces as she waited for Oliver to say goodbye.

“May I ask what it is you’ve done for him, Hermione?” Luna asked, curiously, as she eyed the album in Oliver’s tight grip.

“Oh, it’s just an album for his wife. An anniversary gift, he told me. Right, Oliver?” Hermione turned her attention to Oliver.

He scratched his head, clearly uncomfortable. “Err…yeah, something like that.”

“But, isn’t your anniversary in, like, seven months?” Luna asked innocently.

“Well, err, yeah. It…err…it really isn’t an anniversary gift. I’m actually filing for divorce next week,” he explained, his cheeks now red.

“What?! Let me get this straight, you’re filing for divorce so you’re giving her a gift?” Luna practically screeched.

“Err…well…See, I’m just not in love with her anymore. I figured by giving her this, I would help her realize that it isn’t that she did anything wrong, it’s just that I’m not in love anymore,” he explained.

“Wait a moment; I made you a divorce gift for you to give to your wife?” Hermione asked.

“Well, yeah, if you put it that way.”

“Well, just so we are clear, I’m charging double!” Hermione screamed.

J started to sputter next to her and she realized he was going to start crying. She stood up and pulled him out of his highchair, pointing at the door with a ferocious glare.

“Out. Get out of my house right now!” Hermione hissed.

Oliver left quickly, Luna slamming the door behind him and Hermione trying to calm herself down in order to calm J down. She rubbed his back and took him down the hall to lay him down for a nap.

When she entered the front room again, half an hour later, Luna was rocking a sleeping baby girl.

Hermione smiled. “Come on, we will lay her down with J.”

Now they sat, Butterbeer in hand, at the kitchen table, laughing heartily about nothing.

“So how exactly did Oliver get a hold of you, anyhow?” Luna asked.

“Oh, I guess he talked to Ron about it. I did a wonderful wedding album for Harry and Ginny after they got married. When Oliver asked Ron if he knew anyone who put together a good album, Ron recommended me. Oliver owled me about it, and I accepted. He sent me some pictures and explained the basics of what he wanted done. That’s the gist of it, mainly.”

Luna nodded. “That’s nice.”

“So, did you get around to telling him?” Hermione asked, quickly changing the subject when she’d remembered that she’d forgotten to ask about that.

Luna shook her head. “Almost. But then you walked in and saved me. I think he put the pieces together from what I said, but even if he continues to ask, I’ll deny. I really don’t want to complicate things. Star and I are fine on our own.”

“Speaking of which, how was your date with Mr. Longbottom last night?” Hermione asked.

“Oh, that. Well, it turned into a babysitting gig. I got an emergency call at seven last night; our date was scheduled for seven. You know that he is so perfect that he wanted to bring Star on our date? Anyway, I had to go deliver a set of twins and leave Star with Neville. I came home a couple of hours later and she was fast asleep and he was cleaning up the kitchen.”

Hermione smiled. “That’s so sweet. But now what are you going to do about that date?”

“We rescheduled for tomorrow night. We are going to take Star to get an ice cream and then shop around Diagon Alley for a while. I’m looking forward to it,” Luna explained.

Her face developed a dreamy look that reminded Hermione of the girl that Luna used to be. She realized how much Luna had changed since school.

“I should get going. I’m taking Star to my father’s tomorrow morning.” Luna got up from her seat and stretched.

Hermione stood as well, took both of the Butterbeers, and set them in the sink. Luna went down the hall to collect her daughter.

**********

’Would you mind if I came over this morning? I have a question to ask you. “Hermione’

Hermione attached the letter to her owl’s leg and sent it off to Ron. She needed to speak to him about Oliver.

Less than an hour later, her owl was tapping on her window. She recognized his handwriting immediately.

‘Of course. Come by around ten. Ron’

Hermione glanced at the clock on her wall. She had two hours. She headed down the hall to wake up the little boy.

**********

“You’re late,” Ron stated simply, clearly not bothered by this at all, as he closed the door behind Hermione.

She shrugged. “Only by fifteen minutes.”

“Hey, I could have plans, you know!”

“Well, then, I’m sorry.”

Ron smiled. “I don’t have any plans. I’m going to the Burrow for lunch in just over an hour, though.”

“Well, I won’t be too long. I just needed to ask you about something.”

She sat down on the sofa in the front room and waited for Ron to sit in the chair across from her.

“Shoot,” he directed when he took his seat.

“Well, about a month ago, Oliver Wood owled me about making an album for him to give to his wife,” Hermione began.

Ron nodded.

“He told me that you recommended him. Well, needless to say, I did it for him. Yesterday afternoon, he came by to pick it up.”

Ron nodded again.

“Did you know that he was giving it to his wife because he was filing for divorce? Because a month ago, he told me that it was an anniversary gift, but last night he said it was a divorce gift. And I was wondering if you knew…you know, when you recommended me.”

“Yeah, I knew. I mean, it was sort of messed up. ‘I don’t love you anymore and I’m filing for divorce, so here is an album of all of our happy memories together.’ I swear there is something wrong with that guy. But, I knew. Why d’ you ask?”

“Why would you recommend me knowing full well what it was exactly that he wanted? D’ you realize that I’ve just helped him break his wife’s heart?” Hermione asked, her face screwed up.

Ron shrugged. “I didn’t really think about it. He needed someone to do a really good album, and you did Harry’s and Ginny’s brilliantly. Why wouldn’t I recommend you?”

Hermione was touched by this. She just shrugged, lightly.

“I’m sorry if I offended you, in any way. The last thing I want is for us to be at odds again. Sometimes, I could swear you’re a Weasley, with a temper like that.”

Hermione smiled. “Thanks, Ron.”

A tapping noise came from a window next to Ron’s chair, so he turned to open the window quickly. The owl came in and flew to Hermione.

She knew before she read the letter that it was from St. Mungo’s. This was the emergency owl.

’Healer Granger “ your patient is currently in labor. Please come quickly. St. Mungo’s’

“I’m sorry, Ron, but I’ve got an emergency at work and I’ve got to go. Thank you for talking with me.”

They stood from their seats and Ron nodded as Hermione headed for the door. She opened it swiftly and stepped out. She turned and stopped for a moment to admire the picture of such a gorgeous red-head, confused look on his face, and hands in his pockets as he watched her leave.

She waved with a light smile. “Good-bye, Ron.”

“Please keep in touch this time,” Ron whispered as she Apparated away.


A/N: Alright. Another chapter completed. In case it is a question for anyone, J is the little boy that is staying with Hermione. Just FYI “ NO, she wasn’t lying when she said that he was her only and NO “ it is NOT Ron’s baby! So don’t go thinking that is who the baby is. He really IS a friend’s baby. I promise! Thanks for reading, now Please Review!
Manda
All Answers Cause Questions by Rons chick
Author's Notes:
Alright, guys, this is a HUGE chapter that is SO important to the plot. I've had this chapter planned since the very first chapter, hence the reason it is so close to chapter 4. But aren't you happy that I got two chapters out in two weeks? Hope you like it! Remember to review! Manda*

“Oh, hello dears. How was your week?” Mrs. Weasley greeted Fred and George.

“Quite well actually,” Fred began.

“We got a huge order for the Ministry on Tuesday and we’ve been working on that all week,” George explained.

“A bit tiring, but good money. How was yours?” Fred asked.

She hustled them over to the table to sit down. “Fine. I made a birthing blanket for Fleur and Bill, and then I sent Remus and Nymphadora an outfit for the winter time for little Paul.”

She started to send plates of food toward the table with her wand. Fred and George each grabbed a roll to eat while waiting for the rest of the family.

A small ‘pop’ sounded from the outside of the door and Ron walked in. He ran a hand through his now untamed hair. He walked over and placed a light kiss on his mother’s cheek before walking to the table and sitting down next to Fred.

“Oi, there is our freckled brother,” George said to no one in particular. He leaned back in his chair and nudged Ron’s shoulder.

“Oh, how you’ve grown since we last saw you,” Fred told him as he wrapped an arm around Ron’s shoulders and pulled him into a half hearted hug.

“Yeah, so’ve you! What’s it been, a week? Maybe two?” Ron asked, scratching his head in thought.

“Try six. What exactly have you been up to that you’ve been so bloody busy, little brother?” Fred asked.

“Me? It’s you two that’ve been busy. All I’ve got going is this stupid Quidditch rubbish and a couple of other things,” Ron told them, choosing his words wisely.

“He may be correct, Fred. What with the fact that we have fiancés and serious jobs to worry about, it isn’t us with all the free time, it’s the single bloke over there!” George explained matter-of-factly.

“Fiancés?” Ron asked, surprised.

Both twins broke out into huge grins.

“Oh my, I’m sorry, Ronald, I must’ve forgotten to tell you! The boys have purposed to Angelina and Cho,” Mrs. Weasley informed her youngest son.

Ron’s face formed a smile that matched his brothers’. He turned and grabbed Fred into a hug. Chuckling as he let go, Ron leaned back in his seat to clap a hand on George’s shoulder.

“You two…That’s great! That’s so great.”

“Well, obviously,” George joked.

**********

“Seeing as Charlie was Bill’s best man, and Harry was his second in line, I was wondering if you’d be my second. Fred will be my best man, I will be his, and Bill will be his second. I really want you there, Ron,” George explained to Ron later that night.

They were walking around in the garden after lunch.

Ron contemplated this. He’d been Harry’s best man and Neville, his second. Ron was touched that George was asking this when he’d always seemed to be closer to Charlie. George was marrying Cho, though, and as well as he covered it up, he never quite could close old scars.

George and Cho had been together nearly a year, but Ron barely knew her. He didn’t want to know her. He was happy for his brother, but he couldn’t believe George would sell himself to someone who was once Harry’s first girlfriend.

But that wasn’t the picture right now. George was asking Ron, out of all five brothers, to be his second.

Ron smiled. “I’d be honored,” he told his brother.

George pulled him into a hug quickly. “Thanks, little brother. This means a lot.”

But what Ron couldn’t stop thinking about the rest of the night was something that made his eyes burn. Who would he ask? Who would be his best and second men? Would he have any? Because he’d sworn himself to Hermione a long time ago and as far as he was concerned “ he wasn’t planning on changing that any time soon.

**********

“Luna, it’s one in the morning. Are you alright?” Hermione asked as she opened her front door.

Luna stepped in past Hermione and started pacing, wringing her hands as she went. She had a worried look on her face and her eyes were cloudy. Hermione started to get dizzy watching her, so she reached out and grabbed her friend by the shoulders, stopping the pacing and making Luna face her.

“Are you alright?” Hermione repeated slowly.

Luna nodded.

“Is the baby alright?”

Luna nodded again.

“Good, very good. Why are you here, then?” she asked softly, leading Luna to the kitchen for some tea.

Luna sat at the kitchen table without a comment or fuss. She remained as quiet all the while Hermione prepared them two cups of hot tea. It wasn’t until Hermione handed her a warm mug and sat down across from her that Luna said a word at all.

“He is asleep at my place. On…on my bed,” Luna said.

Hermione felt her heart jerk. Surely she wasn’t speaking about Ron? She nodded slowly. “Who?”

Luna shot her friend a worried, reluctant look. “Neville Longbottom.”

**********

“So, how are you, little brother? Really, how are you? Mum and dad say you go up to their room every time you’re here. They also say you’ve been visiting almost every day for dinner or lunch,” Charlie asked Ron.

Charlie was in town for the week for work and had come down for dinner. Fred, George, Charlie, and Ron were all sitting in the forest behind the Burrow. They had just played a two on two midnight Quidditch game.

At Charlie’s question, Fred and George nodded.

Ron shrugged. “I’m alright. It’s just that, it’s getting closer to August. Next week is July 31st,” he explained.

None of the brothers needed further explanation. They all moved closer to their youngest living sibling and huddled into a group hug. They let it last for a while and when they pulled away, there were tears in all of their eyes. There was no denying it. Harry was their brother. And it made it that much harder.

A comfortable silence settled between them as they all got settled down again.

“Have you…you know, have you spoken to Hermione since “ she left?” Charlie asked.

Fred and George turned their gazes toward Ron expectantly. Leave it to his brothers to make Charlie ask the serious questions.

“Err…well, yeah, actually. A bit,” Ron answered briefly.

“Go on, tell more,” Fred pushed.

Ron sighed. “About a week ago, I found a couple of letters in Harry’s desk drawer in their room. There were six. Three were written by Ginny and three by Harry. They each had written one to me and one to Hermione. Then they had each written one to each other. I took Hermione’s to her. She sort of stormed out. Friday she came to visit me, to apologize. I mucked it up and we ended up in a huge row. I went drinking. This morning I woke up on her sofa in her front room.”

The three brothers stared at Ron in sympathy and shock. They all knew how he got when he was drunk. They all knew that his mouth developed some sort of motor or something after he started to drink.

“Wow, mate. That’s not good. Did she say anything when you woke?” Charlie asked.

Ron shrugged. “Not really. She just said that I hadn’t done anything wrong. But there was something wrong. I just can’t remember what happened. I must’ve said something, though. Anyways, then this morning, she came by asking about Oliver Wood.”

“What?” Fred asked, incredulously.

“Already she’s asking you to hook her up with someone? And a married man, no less?” George asked.

Ron shook his head. “Oliver is filing for a divorce and he wanted to give his wife an album of their lives. He asked me if I knew anyone who did photo albums well.”

“And of course you told him about Hermione!” Charlie finished, understanding.

“Yes, but apparently she found out it was a divorce gift and she came running to me, asking why I would refer her to make a divorce gift for someone. I explained that he was just asking for someone who did albums well, and she did Harry’s and Ginny’s so brilliantly, that why wouldn’t I recommend her?”

“Naturally,” George nodded.

“So then we clarified that we were no longer at odds and just as we were about to have a moment, she got an owl from St. Mungo’s about one of her patients,” Ron finished.

“Bloody hell, Ron. You aren’t even dating her and it’s like you’re married,” Fred told him.

“There something she isn’t telling me, though. I can feel it. On Friday, she was saying something about making a mistake two years ago and saying that she can’t take it back or some rubbish. There’s something she’s keeping from me, I just can’t put my finger on it,” Ron thought out loud.

“Mate, you need to go talk to her in the morning. Figure things out. You still love her. As long as it may take you to figure that out, every one of your family members is very aware of it,” Charlie told him.

Fred and George mumbled their agreements. Ron had no reply; he was very aware of it, too.

**********

“That’s good, Luna! That’s a good thing! What are you doing here? You need to be there, showing him your wild side!” Hermione told her friend exasperatedly.

Luna shook her head and went back to pacing. “No, no, no, no! I already showed him my ‘wild side’! On a first date! With my daughter in the next room! What if I’m not ready for another relationship? What if that is what he expects out of this?”

Hermione noted that the tone in Luna’s voice showed signs of denial. There were also signs of worry and stress. Hermione felt momentarily grateful to her parents for encouraging her to work in the children’s part of St. Mungo’s after the war had ended. She had been trained to read tones and handwriting. Many children don’t talk about how they feel, but it shows in how they speak and write. With this talent, Hermione was able to tell what her best friend was feeling.

“Luna, come here,” Hermione said softly. She pulled the blonde into a comforting hug and let Luna cry into her shoulder.

“It’s alright. It will be fine. Neville’s an amazing guy. He’ll never hurt you the way Ron did. He’ll never be the way Oliver is. He isn’t that type of guy, Luna! He’s Harry’s type. He’s perfect,” Hermione cooed softly as she rubbed Luna’s back.

When Luna got a hold of herself, Hermione filled their mugs with more tea. They went back to sitting across from each other.

“What if he’s too perfect? What if it’s all some act? I can’t do it again, Hermione, I can’t and I won’t!” Luna told her.

“Luna, he’s not too perfect. I know you’re scared, but you’ve finally got a break. You finally have a good thing; don’t go pushing it away,” Hermione replied.

Luna looked up at Hermione and couldn’t help but return Hermione’s smile with a weak one of her own. Hermione was right; she deserved this. And Neville was perfect. And, as far as she was concerned, she’d just had one hell of a time with him. She couldn’t help but picture doing what they’d done over and over in her future.

She sniffed and grabbed a tissue from the table. She took a deep breath, let it out slowly and looked Hermione in the eye. “I deserve this,” she stated simply.

Hermione knew that Luna wasn’t telling her this, but more trying to convince herself. So Hermione did what she did best; she reassured her friend. “Yes,” she told her, “you do.”

**********

’Hermione “ We need to finish our conversation. Can I come by your place later? ~Ron’

Hermione reread the letter. She wiped a tear from her face and grabbed a quill, some ink, and a piece of paper from her desk drawer.

’See you soon.’ she wrote before signing it. She attached it to Pigwidgeon’s leg and told him to get to Ron as soon as possible. She stood by the window in her kitchen and watched the owl fly away, thankful for the moment of peace. Then she turned back to her desk and looked at the will sitting on top of it.

This would be her chance to tell him. It was now or never.

**********

“Hey, Pig,” Ron greeted his owl as he took the letter from its leg. He read the letter quickly before walking to kitchen table and sitting in one of the chairs. He continued to drink his coffee and he picked up the letter to Ginny from Harry that had been sitting in the middle of the table since he got home this morning around two. He had been staring at it since he got up an hour previous, scared to read it, but curious as to what it said.

He took a deep breath and slowly took the letter out of the envelope. He unfolded it. He saw his own name within the letter and Hermione’s wasn’t too far after it.

His eyes automatically shut. This happened with Ginny’s letter, too. He took another deep breath, carefully opened his eyes and began to read the letter.

‘Ginny-
Right now you are in the other room. I assume you are writing letters as well. We are all nervous these days. Nobody knows what could happen. I just needed the chance to tell you how much I love you.’


Ron’s eyes darted down the letter a ways to the sentence with Hermione’s name.

‘You have been so great to me, and I can’t wait until Baby Potter comes. I hope that Ron will understand everything. It’s hard to believe that Hermione is pregnant. It won’t be long until Ron finds out that we “ ‘


Ron closed his eyes sharply. He couldn’t finish reading. He didn’t want to know what the rest of the letter said. He Apparated to Hermione’s place without a second thought.

When he got there, she was sitting at her desk with her knees pulled up to her chest and her chin resting on them. There was a letter in front of her that Ron assumed was the letter from Harry. She turned her head slowly to him.

“I didn’t think you meant this soon,” she told him, glancing at the clock to see that it was only eight thirty.

It was then that Ron realized how heavily he was breathing. He put it to the back of his head and glared at her. “You lied to me,” he growled through gritted teeth.

She screwed up her face. “Excuse me?” she whispered furiously as she stood from her chair.

“You told me I was your only. You lied to me! Harry?” Ron choked.

“What in the hell are you talking about, you bastard?” Hermione asked through her angry tears.

“You were babysitting? Damn it! And Ginny knew? She knew and she didn’t care?”

“Ronald, lower you voice! You don’t know what you are talking about!”

Ron grabbed his hair and started to pace the room, trying to calm his breathing.

“Why didn’t you tell-“

“Mummy?” A little boy with messy black hair came into the room, rubbing his eyes.

Hermione jumped with surprise, but quickly walked over to him, lifting him into her arms. He wrapped his tiny legs around her waist and his arms around her neck.

“Sorry, baby. Mummy’s fault,” she was whispering as she rubbed his back.

He looked up at Ron. “Who’s ‘at?” he asked.

Ron noted the little lisp and he softened. The boy’s eyes were the replica of Ron’s younger sister’s.

Hermione continued to rub his back. “That is Ron. Ron, this is James Ronald Potter. He is Ginny and Harry’s son.”

A/N: Sorry about the cliffie. Hope you are putting two and two together! Big shout out to my betas Manda and leah3467!!! Thanks for reading, now please REVIEW!!! Manda*
Daddy, Come Back by Rons chick
Author's Notes:
Alright, I'm not giving up just yet. Here is chapter 6, edited twice more by betas and changed a little by me. Sorry for the long wait, everyone. Hopefully it won't take too long to get accepted. Now, this is a long one, but remember that the letters are revealed! Don't forget to leave a review!
“James, this is Ron. Ronald, this is James Ronald Potter, Harry and Ginny’s son. J, you remember Ron from the pictures?”

Ron’s jaw dropped. That wasn’t possible. Ginny was never pregnant. She promised him she wasn’t. But James looked like the spitting image of Ron’s best friend. And his eyes were the unmistakable mirror image of Ron’s sister’s.

“Hungry, love?” Hermione asked as she continued to rub his back.

The little boy nodded against her neck. Then he lifted his head and looked at Ron. “Won hunwy?”

Ron was too stunned to answer. This little boy, whoever’s son he was, had already stolen Ron’s heart.

“Lets go, love. Want me to warm up pancakes from yesterday? Or cereal, or we could have…” Hermione’s voice faded as she walked into the kitchen.

Ron continued to stand there, too stunned to move.

“Cewewal,” James told Hermione when they got to the kitchen.

Hermione nodded. She set James down in his high chair and went to warm up the oatmeal. As it was warming up, she stared at the little boy in his highchair, playing with the spoon on his little tray. She would have to get him out of that high chair next weekend. She’d planned to do it this weekend, but with all of the time he’d spent at the Burrow with his grandmother, it was just easier to keep him in the highchair until she had time. He was only eighteen months old, it was time to sit in a big chair with a booster seat.

The microwave “given to her by her parents- beeped, interrupting Hermione’s thoughts. She grabbed the bowl and put it on J’s tray.

“Tant choo,” James told her.

“You’re welcome,” she replied.

“What’s for breakfast? I’m starving,” Ron announced as he bounded into the kitchen.

“Won! Cewewal,” James lifted a spoon full of oatmeal out to Ron.

Ron smiled. “Mmmm, sounds delicious!”

“Ronald, I know you want me to explain, but it isn’t my place to tell. Eighteen months ago “hell, even a year ago- it was my story to tell. But it isn’t anymore. I think you have my letter from Ginny?” she asked.

Ron gave a crooked, guilty smile.

“Yes, well, the letter from Harry is on my desk. You need to read them. You mentioned that they wrote letters to each other ‘s’well, right? They will explain everything. Go home, read the letters, and when you’re ready to ask questions based on what you know “which right now is nothing- come back. This isn’t something I can just explain, it’s something you need to understand,” Hermione explained.

Ron got up slowly from his seat next to James. He nodded in understanding and took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. “Alright, I’ll be back later, then. Bye James,”

James waved at Ron, his oatmeal now all over his tray.

Ron smiled, waved at Hermione unsurely, and left. On his way out, he grabbed the letter from Hermione’s desk, noticing two wills and promising himself he’d talk to her about them once he knew more. He took another deep breath, stepped out onto her front porch, and Apparated home.

When he arrived in his front room, he walked back into his kitchen and sat down again. He picked up the letter he’d dropped on his way to Hermione’s, and began to read it.

Ginny-

Right now you are in the other room. I assume you are writing letters as well. We are all nervous these days. Nobody knows what can happen. I just needed the chance to tell you how much I love you. I have for a very long time. Took long enough for me to realize it though, didn’t it? But the point is that I did realize it. I realized it with that one look that you have that sends me over the edge. It’s a blazing look, Ginny Potter, and it made me recognize that I love you.

You probably don’t know this, but your facial expressions tell a story. One is the story of love. It’s this look that you give me sometimes. Like when we said our vows. And when we agreed on having a baby. And the first time we made love. If there is one thing I ask from you, it’s that you never give anyone else that look.

You are reading this letter because I’m dead. But, Ginny, I need you to be happy. Enjoy the life we had together, however long or short it was. Move on, if you fall in love don’t feel guilt. I know that I was the only person you will ever love with the intensity that was in our relationship. I know that there is no love that can match that of ours. Because I love you, Ginny Potter. I love you forever and always.

You have been so great to me, and I can’t wait until Baby Potter comes. I hope Ron will understand why Hermione’s pregnant. It won’t be long until he finds out that we have asked her to carry our baby. She is such a great friend. Please let her know that. And please let Ron know that I adore him for being so brave and staying by me all of these years. He was my best friend. He always will be.

I love you. Even when I’m gone, my heart belongs to you.

~Me


Ron wiped a tear from his eye distractedly. He was crying again. Why was it that these damn letters always got him started? He had to pull himself together if he wanted to read the rest of them. He took a deep breath and folded the letter up. He grabbed Ginny’s to Harry and opened it up cautiously, taking a moment before reading the letter.

Harry-

My darling, I hope you never have to read this letter. Then again, everything I’ve ever hoped for has gone wrong. Except for you, but even that is wrong, because I can’t be with you the way I’d hoped for. The moment I fell for you, I only wished that all the rumors about you were just that; rumors. I didn’t want to believe that the man I was in love with had a fate of death.

And when it came time for me to realize that in fact my hopes were denied, I was ready to stand next to you and fight for you with all of my heart. You have no idea how angry it made me when you announced you didn’t want me to help you or stand by you because of the danger it would be putting me in. Harry, you must realize that I fight for those I love and you are and have almost always been first on my list.
You’re it for me, Harry Potter.

And I just want you to know that if you die and I live, I won’t move on the way I know you want me to. Yes, I will continue with life and raise our baby and get through each day to the best of my ability, but I will not ever be with anyone else. You are the only person that my heart will ever be able to hold. My love for you is so strong that it would be impossible to fit any love for any other person in there.

I guess it doesn’t help that “along with my love for you- there is also the love for our unborn child, living inside of Hermione. She is our gift, Harry. She is our break. We have gone through so much and she is finally God’s gift to us. She is carrying our child.

Harry, you must understand that I wanted to have our baby, but you have to come to realize that I am the type of girl to never back down and to always stand and fight next to the person that holds my heart. See, if you die, my heart dies with you.

Thank you so much for letting Hermione carry our baby. We need this part of us to carry on after one or both of us dies. I couldn’t carry the baby and let you continue fighting without me. I love you too much.
And I always will.

Of course, it took long enough for you to realize that you loved me as well! But, I knew. In the back of my head and in the core of my heart, I knew that you loved me. That’s what kept my hopes high. I always thought you were smart, but I didn’t think you would take as long as you did! It took me two guys before you caught on, didn’t it, Harry Potter? But you figured it out. And you’ll figure out what to do without me. You always figure it out.

Love always,
Ginny


Ron let out a loud sob that he’d been keeping back. Out of the whole letter, he could only stare at one sentence.

‘We need this part of us to carry on after one or both of us dies.’

She didn’t say, ‘if one of us,’ she’d specifically said ‘after,’. That killed Ron. His sister had known. Just as she’d known Harry was in love with her. He remembered a while back during the summer before sixth year.

Flashback

“Out here all alone?” Ron asked Ginny as he walked closer to her out in the forest behind the Burrow.

“Just thinking,” she replied as she turned to look at him, not at all surprised by his presence.

“What about?” Ron asked curiously.

“When is Harry coming?” she asked.

“Actually, to be quite honest I haven’t talked to him all summer. Why d’ you ask?” he wondered aloud.

She picked up a rock from the ground and threw it into the lake. “He loves me, you know,” she said softly, almost without emotion.

Ron screwed up his face. “Ginny, I know you had your little crush on him when we were younger, but I thought you were over that. I mean, isn’t that why you went out with Michael Corner? And what about Dean Thomas? I thought you were with him right now,”

Ginny turned and locked her eyes with Ron’s. She had a blazing look on her face that made Ron want to look away but want to never look away all at the same time.

“It was a crush, you’re right. But it isn’t anymore; it’s love. Michael was to get Harry to notice me. Dean is a nice boy, I really like him. But he’s really to get Harry to notice me, s’well. He loves me, Ron. I can’t explain to you how I know, but I do. I don’t even think he knows yet,” she explained with such passion, that it really made Ron believe her.

He let out a forced chuckle. “Whatever helps you sleep at night, Ginny. Lunch is ready. That’s why I came to find you,” he told her as he turned to head back inside.

She grabbed his arm and pulled him back into a tight hug. She rested her cheek against his chest and wrapped her arms around his middle. “Don’t think I didn’t hear your comment on the train coming home a few weeks back. ‘Next time pick someone better’ or whatever it was that you said. I saw you give Harry that look when you said it. I know you approve,” she whispered, still hugging him tight.

He kissed the top of her head, squeezing her closer to him. It was his way of agreeing with her. They never really needed to use words with each other.

End Flashback


Ron poured himself a glass of water and drank it all in one gulp. He refilled the cup and walked into his front room, sitting down on his sofa and taking a deep breath. He grabbed the next letter. It was to Hermione from Ginny. He closed his eyes for a moment to collect himself before opening the letter slowly. He began to read.


Hermione-

You’re my best friend. I hope you know that. I could have never picked a better woman to be my bridesmaid; or a better woman to be my best friend; nor a better woman to carry my baby; nor a better woman to tell my deepest secrets to.

I am so grateful for you. If it weren’t for you, I would’ve given up on Harry long ago. I wouldn’t be married to him right now. If it weren’t for you, we wouldn’t have this baby to live on in memory of us. You’re our angel, Hermione.

I know that things with Ron are a bit shaky. I know that he might have a hard time understanding why you are carrying mine and Harry’s baby. But it isn’t because he has a small heart. Trust me- that is the last reason why he wouldn’t understand the situation. It’s only because of his impatience. He will only hear a part of why you are pregnant. He will probably only hear the part that you are carrying Harry’s baby. I love my brother so so much, but I know him well, and you must tell him, Hermione. Once he figures out why you are pregnant, he will be there for you, I promise.

My brother loves you more than you realize. He’s loved you for so long and I know that it may be hard to see, but he has. He wears his heart on his shoulders and I think that he is just waiting for you to break it. I know you love him just as much as he loves you. You just need to show him that you do.

Please help Harry raise our baby. And please be with Harry and help him through everything.

We’ve talked about it, and we’ve decided that in the case of both our deaths, you and Ron are to raise our unborn child. We didn’t just pick you to carry our baby for no reason, Hermione. And if we never get to see him or her, I only have a few requests of you.

Firstly, if it’s a boy, we’d like you to name him James Ronald Potter. It would have been James Harry, but I don’t like that, and I’d really like a piece of my brother with him. If it’s a girl, we’d like her to be called Lily Ginerva Potter.

Second, we’ve decided that we don’t want the baby’s existence to be known. If Voldemort is still alive, we want him to be oblivious of our baby. And even if Voldemort dies, there will still be Death Eaters. So please “ at least until the baby is two years of age “ keep him or her a secret.

And last, we just ask you to take care of our baby like he or she were your own. Please raise this baby in a house of love. I never want our child to go through what Harry went through. This is why we chose you and Ron to be the guardians. We trust you two the most out of anyone in this world.

I love you, Hermione. You are the sister I never had. Thank you so much for everything. I can’t say it enough times.

Your best friend,

Ginny
Ginnerva Molly Weasley


Ron finished his second glass of water, put the cup on the coffee table, and wiped his cheeks again with the palms of his hands. He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees, and hid his face in his hands. This was harder than he’d thought it was going to be.

He stood up and started to pace. He wanted to continue pacing while he read the last letter, but he knew he couldn’t. The passion and love in each letter was so powerful, that there was no way he could remain standing as he read the last of the them.

He shook his head clear, took yet another deep breath, grabbed the last letter from the coffee table, and went out to his front porch. He took a seat on the front step and started to unfold the letter. Curiously, he began to read.


Dear Hermione,

With all of my heart I wish that you never have to read this. A couple years from now, I want to stand next to Ron at your wedding. I want to go with you, Ginny, and Ron to the Quidditch World Cup again. I want to hold my baby in my hands and raise it and watch it grow. I hope it looks like Ginny. She’s the pretty one. And when you and Ron finally decide to have children, I hope they all look like you.

Throughout school, you were the prettiest one of our Trio. It makes me smile to remember how you drove Ron mad. You still do, but then, when we were younger, it was the worst. And the funniest. You were so beautiful at the Yule ball that I thought Ron was going to have a heart attack. It was hard for him to want so badly not to like you, when everything told him that he did. And forget about our sixth year. That year was his hardest year what with everything pointing to a fact that you didn’t feel the same about him. Well, that’s his reason. I could tell your feelings for him as if you’d told me yourself. And him “ he’d been obvious for years.

You are perfect for each other. And I wanted so much to thank you for what you are doing for Ginny and I. She keeps saying you are our Angel. I can’t help but agree to my fullest ability. We are respecting your wishes and we will let you tell Ron about the whole thing yourself.

Ginny has probably told you by now that you and Ron are to be our child’s guardians. She might even have told you that the moment we even talked about having children, we’d decided that. You and Ron are the two people we trust most in this world. We love you both so much.

Please help Ginny through this. Please watch over her. I never thought I could feel like this about another person until I met her. I know that you know exactly how I feel. You just feel it for a different person.

Hermione, I know I must’ve been the worst friend anyone could ever ask for. I always put you in danger and laughed at your smartness. You have to understand that I never questioned your knowledge. I always depended on it, though. I wouldn’t be where I am now if it weren’t for you. I would probably be dead. You stuck by me through everything and you helped me get through everything.

I never had siblings. Of course, now I have the entire Weasley clan as my family-in-laws, but that’s different because that’s through marriage. You have been my sister since our first year. You’ve always been there for me to confide in and trust. You’re one of my closest friends and I am so grateful for that.

I love you, Hermione. I love you so much. Thanks for being such a great sister. Thanks for everything you’ve done for Ginny and me.

~Harry


Ron got up and walked back inside, down the hall to his bathroom. He splashed water onto his face and forced himself to stop crying.

Once he’d pulled himself together, he went back to his kitchen and had another glass of water.

It was so much more complicated than he’d thought. So Hermione had carried James for Harry and Ginny - that much he’d understood. But what did that mean, exactly. Now he had questions to ask based on what he knew. Now was the time to go back to Hermione’s and get some answers.

When he got there, the door opened and a frazzled Hermione stood, hands full of a little boy with messy black hair.

“Won!” James exclaimed loudly and reached his arms out to Ron.

Ron took James from Hermione and smiled as he wrapped his little legs around Ron’s waist and tangled his arms around Ron’s neck in a full out hug. “Hey,” Ron responded with a chuckle.

“Weth pway,” James told him, wiggling out of Ron’s arms and walking into the house and to the front room.

Ron stepped inside, past Hermione and glanced at the front room. It was so different from an hour ago when he’d left. It was now full of toys here and there and a small sippy cup was on the desk where he’d grabbed the letter from.

Hermione let out a soft laugh. “Come on, lets go sit on the sofa and have a talk,” she directed him to the sofa and he sat down carefully.

They sat for a moment in silence, watching the little boy in front of them as he played with all of his toys. Ron couldn’t help but grin proudly at his little Chudley Cannon’s shirt and small blue jeans.

“Listen, Hermione, I couldn’t help but notice when I was grabbing the letter that there were two wills on the desk,” Ron explained.

“That’s what I wanted to explain to you next, before you ask your questions. One is Harry’s and one is Ginny’s. They were inside of their letters,” she explained. After a short pause, she continued, “You didn’t know this, but your mother is one of the only people in the Wizarding World who know about him. They wanted me to take care of the entire thing the Muggle way. They just didn’t want anyone to know anything about there being a baby in the Weasley household that could trace back to Harry. My parents helped out a lot in everything. They took me to a Muggle hospital and I went there for all of my pregnancy issues. But in the end, Luna ended up delivering him,”

“Luna Lovegood?” Ron asked quietly.

Hermione nodded. “I went into labor while she and I were out one night, and she delivered James and then took us both to my Muggle hospital. Your mother visited me there,”

Ron screwed up his face. “My mum has known about this from the beginning?”

Hermione nodded again. “She had to perform the spell for me to carry J. You will understand more of that later, anyways,”

Ron nodded his okay. “Has she been involved in his life since he was born?”

“Yes, she has. She takes care of him a lot during the daytime when I’m at work. Sometimes, if you or anyone is going to be there, he goes with me to work. But mostly, your mum or mine takes care of him. Ever wonder why “in the past week when we’ve gotten together- you say you are going to the Burrow and I say I need to leave at least fifteen minutes before you? Your dad doesn’t even know about him, Ronald. We just didn’t know how to tell anyone after we hadn’t for so long. But we “your mother and I- have been planning J’s second birthday and we were going to announce it then,”

“Why didn’t you at least tell me sooner?” Ron asked softly.

Hermione wiped a stray tear from her cheek. “I couldn’t ruin your life, Ron. You have no idea how sensitive you are. You were already so torn up about Harry and Ginny, that it killed me to even think about telling you I had their baby inside of me. I didn’t have the strength to fight with you to understand what had happened and I most certainly didn’t have the strength to lose my last reason to live if you decided you couldn’t be with me anymore. My only answer was to leave you instead of letting you leave me. If I left, I would always have the idea of you waiting for me whenever I was ready. But if I stayed and you left me, I would only have the idea of hate,”

Ron shook his head. “Why would I have left you?”

Hermione gazed into Ron’s soft eyes. “Did you see how angry you were earlier when you found out? I know you as well as Ginny did, Ron, I knew that you would only see one part of the situation. I didn’t have the energy or heart to try and explain what was really going on. I regret not telling you earlier. I regret it every day of my life. But I can’t take it back now, because all is said and done,”

Ron blinked and looked around the room. He nodded slowly. “You’re right, we can’t change the past, but we can make the future, Hermione, and I want to be apart of it. This is my sister’s and my best friend’s baby. I want to be apart of his life,”

“Right, well, that’s why I’ve been tracking you down lately. See, Harry’s and Ginny’s wills don’t say much. I mean, they lived at the Burrow, they didn’t have many possessions, and they were both defeating Voldemort. But they’ve given James to me,”

Ron closed his eyes to hold back the tears. They’d given him to Hermione. That was a slap in the face.

“And you. Just as they say in their letters, we are both his guardians,”

Ron’s heart skipped a beat and he let a couple tears cross his barrier.

Hermione reached out and wiped them from his face. “So, you see, you sort of have to be apart of his life. Whether you like it or not, he is yours,”

Ron chuckled. He sighed and shook his head. “How did you do this alone?”

Hermione smiled. “Basically, I had nobody to go to, really. I did have my parents, but they were traveling when I first had him. And your mum was really busy at the time. So Luna took care of him for his first two weeks of his life,”

Ron’s stomach twisted as he watched Hermione let loose and begin to really cry. She was sobbing openly. He stood her up from the sofa and walked her into the kitchen. He sat her down at the table and went to get her a glass of water as she continued.

“I couldn’t look at him for two weeks! He reminded me so much of everything I wanted to forget. He was just a baby and I couldn’t be there for him because just looking at him brought back the memory of my best friends! That’s the reason for his nickname. I call him J because it used to hurt so badly to call him James. James reminded me of Harry. After a while, I got so used to calling him J that I just didn’t stop. You know, he never even had the chance to know his parents? I mean, I carried him; I gave birth to him; I was going to raise him. It was like…he was my baby. He was my son and I didn’t even want him!” she cried.

Ron gave her the water and kneeled beside her chair. He rubbed her back softly and tried to calm her down. After a little while, she stopped crying and used the tissues to dry her face and blow her nose.

When she was sane again, she looked at Ron, now sitting across from her. “But I want him now. In fact, I was thinking about it and I can’t picture my life without him anymore. He is my life,”

Ron smiled. Then his face turned sad and he looked down at his hands that were resting on the table. “Does he know about them? Harry and Ginny, I mean.”

Hermione shook her head. “He’s too young to understand just yet. To him, I am his mum. He just doesn’t understand why he has no dad,”

Ron cleared his throat and continued to survey his hands. “With your permission, I’d like…you know…err…I’d like to take that role,”

Hermione smiled at him through her blotchy face.

Ron suddenly felt the need to lighten the moment. He needed to get their minds off of the past for just a little bit. So he smiled and said, “But, you know, there is one thing I’d like more than that,”

Hermione screwed up her face. “What?”

“Eat. I’m starving!” he exclaimed.

As if on queue, his stomach growled, making them both laugh. He got up from his seat, went into the front room and came back in with James on his hip.

He set James on the counter and stood in front of him. “Does your mum make a good breakfast?”

Hermione stared at Ron in shock. She couldn’t believe it. She never thought she would be seeing what she was right then. Ron was going to be a great dad.

Ron caught her eye and smiled. “What?”

She shook her head. “I can’t believe I let you go,” she said in the most serious voice he’d ever heard from her.

Almost not believing she’d actually said that aloud, she turned and began to make breakfast for herself and for Ron. She was sure that J would want something, too, because they were eating, but she knew he wouldn’t actually eat anything.

**********

“You still have a bottomless pit for a stomach, you know,” Hermione said as she watched Ron devour everything on his plate.

Ron chuckled. “Your mum is a great cook, James! You’ll really start to appreciate it when you start eating like me!”

James giggled. “Wike Won!”

“Yep, buddy, just like me!” Ron said with a wink.

Hermione huffed a fake sigh. “Let’s hope not,”

They all finished eating and Hermione went over to the sink to clean the dishes.

“So, now I know the situation, and I have questions based on what I know. Can I ask them now?” Ron asked.

Hermione smiled at him and then walked out of the kitchen.

When she returned, she was holding a pensive. Ron recognized it instantly as Harry’s, who’d been given it by Dumbledore.

She took her wand and swirled the inside, watching her own memories swim around. “Harry left it behind. The only way to explain everything is for you to live it. So go live it.”

Ron nodded. He got up, walked to where she was standing, and kissed her softly and quickly. Then he turned to look at James and kissed him on the forehead. “I’ll be right back, buddy.”

Hermione and the little boy watched as Ron disappeared into the pensive.

James began to sputter and he looked up at his mother. “Where Daddy go?”

Hermione felt something tug at her heart when she heard James say that. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath to regain herself. She picked him up and headed off to her room to lay him down for his nap. “Daddy will be right back,”


AN: Alright, there is chapter 6. It was pretty long, for me. A lot of letters and even more explanations. When he goes to relive her memories in the next chapter, you will understand everything, for the most part. Thanks to my betas Manda and Katrina! Sorry for the long wait, it was just long to plan and write. Thanks so much and please REVIEW!

Manda*
Daddy's Back by Rons chick
Author's Notes:
I hope it's approved this time!

sorry for the wait!

hope it's worth it!

xoxo
manda
Chapter 7
Captured Memories

“Harry, where are we?” Ginny asked as she slipped off the blindfold from around her eyes and looked around.

Ron watched his sister. He was in this memory, so he wasn’t actually there, but it was bizarre seeing her. She was alive and her cheeks were flushed from the flight and her hair hung long down her back as she explored the new sight with her eyes.

“I’m not actually sure, love. Remember a few weeks ago when Pettigrew took Ron? I needed to clear my head, I needed to think so I took my broom and started to fly. I don’t know how I found this place, but I thought it would be the perfect place for tonight,” Harry explained.

Ron stared at Harry for a minute. He was in the presence of his best friend again. It was so overwhelming. He thought he might start to cry again, but there was no time for that as the memory continued.

“What is tonight?” Ginny asked with a worried look on her face.

Ron knew why she was worried. With the war constantly on her mind, she had the habit of forgetting significant days like anniversaries or birthdays.

“That is for me to know,” Harry answered as he walked closer and wrapped his arms around Ginny’s waist. “And you to find out.”

Ron watched as they kissed. He had forgotten how used to that he was. He’d had to get used to it because they’d do it everywhere.

“Alright, love, I’ve set up a picnic over there,” Harry pointed to a spot not too far off under a large tree.

Ron chuckled. Cliché. Too predictable. He walked over to the picnic with them, listening to their comfortable silence and wondered how they could go with silence comfortably when he and Hermione couldn’t. They always had to talk to fill the time, even if it meant bickering.

When they got to the tree, Ginny started to sit down, but Harry grabbed her hand.

“Don’t sit just yet, love. I wanted to wait until after we ate, but I can’t,” Harry explained. He knelt down on one knee and kissed the top of her hand. He reached into the picnic basket beside him and grabbed a small box. He opened it up. “Ginevra Molly Weasley, will you marry me?”

Ginny screeched. Her hand flew to her mouth and her eyes got huge. “Yes! Harry, yes!”

She pulled him up to her and wrapped her arms around his neck. He laughed and lifted her up, swinging her around. Then he put her down and they kissed before each disappearing in the others’ shoulder.

“I love you,” Ron heard one of them whisper.

“I love you, too,” the other whispered.

Ron wiped the tears from his face. Damn, this was hard. Everything began to swirl and Ron screwed up his face, looking around. It was really blurry and the scenery was changing. He closed his eyes tight and then opened them again.

He was in Ginny’s room. Hermione was sitting on the bed and Ginny was standing, talking about what had just happened. When she got to the proposal part, Hermione gasped and jumped up, grabbing Ginny into a hug.

“You’re getting married!” Hermione screamed.

“I’m getting married!” Ginny repeated.

“When?” Hermione asked.

Ginny took a deep breath and then sat down next to Hermione. “We’ve discussed it, but we haven’t really decided on anything. I mean, I’m only 19 and he’s only 20. It’s hard because we don’t know how long this war is going to continue, you know? We’ve collected all but one Horcrux, we’re so close and then we’ve got to defeat Voldemort. We can’t exactly guess how long that will take. We’ve been in this war for three years now and we can’t exactly estimate when it will end. So we’ve sort of decided that we want to get married soon. Like within the next month.”

Hermione screwed up her face and looked at the ceiling. After a moment she said, “Well I think we can have the wedding in about three weeks time. It’ll take about that to plan it, let’s face it- you’re a Weasley and there’ll be no small wedding. We can get out invitations by next week-”

“Thank you,” Ginny whispered, interrupting Hermione with a hug. “No questions, you just understand us. Thank you so much,”

Hermione chuckled and wiped a tear off her cheek. How could she be the one crying when it was Ginny that was getting married? “What are best friends for?”

Ginny smiled.

Ron watched his sister and Hermione. It hit him with a blow just how much he really missed his three best friends. He could change that. He could get one of them back.

The room got blurry again, cleared up for a moment as he saw Ginny watching Harry and a younger version of himself hug, and then started swirling again. When the view had cleared and Ron was ready for the next memory, he was in his room. Hermione was sitting on the bed while Harry paced the room.

“Why are you nervous, I’m the one getting married?” Harry exclaimed, stopping suddenly to look at Hermione expectantly.

Hermione shook her head and Ron noticed that she was crying again. “I love him, Harry. I love him so much. But I’m not ready to get married. I’m so nervous that he’ll want to after this, and I’m not sure how to tell him I can’t,”

Harry watched her with a look of brotherly love before walking to the bed slowly. He knelt down so that they were the same height and he grabbed her hand. “You and Ron are my two best friends in the whole world. And if there is one thing that I know about Ron the most, it’s that he wants whatever you want. I never thought he would be like that, really. He was always kind of selfish growing up, in a loving way of course. But when we left school, when you both realized just how in love with each other you were, he changed so much. His whole life became you. He won’t ask you to marry him until the time is right, Hermione. He knows you better than you know yourself, and he knows that you aren’t ready,”

Hermione smiled weakly through her tears. “You think so?”

Harry grinned and nodded. “I know so,”

There was a comfortable silence for a minute before Harry stood up and took a deep breath. “Now, let’s focus on me, considering I am the groom,”

Hermione let out a small laugh. “Yes, I suppose,”

She got up and walked over to him, slapping his hand away as she attempted to fix his tie.

“I’ve been thinking about it, and do you know what’s odd?” Harry asked, trying to flatten his hair with a comb.

“What’s that?” Hermione asked, pulling his robes from Ron’s closet and taking it off the hanger.

“The four of us have one of the most amazing things anyone could ever offer. You and Ron love each other so much. Ginny and I match that with our own. I never thought that I would be this in love with the woman I married. I mean, yeah, I’d heard of love and I knew that you fell in love and got married to start and family and such, but really I never thought that I could be this in love and this happy,” Harry said this all with a matter-of-fact tone.

Hermione was dumbstruck after listening to his monologue. She laughed and shook her head. “You’re right, I think. We are really lucky,”

Ron was ready this time when the room got blurry again and he closed his eyes so as not to get sick from the spinning. Carefully, after a minute, he opened his eyes. He was in Ginny’s room now looking at himself and his sister.

The younger Ron was sitting on the bed, playing with some fluff on his sister’s pillow while Ginny sat down at her desk, fixing her makeup.

“Really, I don’t see why they pile so much of this on!” Ginny grumbled as she wiped more makeup off.

“Are you excited?” Ron asked.

Ginny screwed up her face and turned around to look at Ron. “About getting married?”

Ron nodded.

“Yes, more than I can put into words. But really, Ron, I don’t need to be married to him to know that I’m going to spend the rest of my life with him. We just decided that ‘husband’ and ‘wife’ seemed appropriate for whether or not we get out of this war. I love him so much, Ron. I’m ready to spend the rest of my life with him. I’ve been ready since before I could remember,” she explained.

Ron nodded. “I’m ready to marry Hermione. I’ve been ready for a while too, but she isn’t. We haven’t discussed it, but I can tell. I don’t think it’s that she doesn’t want to be married, but rather that she doesn’t like to think that we are rushing into a marriage just because of the war, you know?”

Ginny nodded. “You and Hermione will have your time, Ron. Just hearing the way you talk about each other is amazing. You’re a lucky bloke, you are, Ronald Weasley. Hermione Granger is a hard one to beat and I’m so happy that you chose her because I couldn’t have picked anyone better to marry you,”

Ron stood up and walked over to Ginny’s seat. He wrapped his arms around her and looked at their faces in the mirror. It was a typical site, Ron’s head resting on Ginny’s, but this time it was different. They’d grown up and they knew it.

The older Ron watched himself and Ginny and felt a tug at his heart. He remembered that day as if it were yesterday.

“Yeah, well I’ve been hinting that you and Harry should be together since our fifth year, haven’t I?” Ron loved playing the older brother.

Ginny chuckled. “Yes, you have,”

She turned around to face him and her expression became very serious. “Look, Ron, I know our world is in a very bad place. I mean, look around us, it’s mad! But we each have our own comfort zone. Mine is with Harry, Hermione, and you. Something tells me that yours is the same as mine. I love Harry with all of my heart. And sometimes “ every once in a while, despite the madness and disastrous world we live in “ sometimes, it’s okay to be happy. We all deserve it at some point. Mine is right now. It’s right now before something takes it away from me. Someday, you’ll find your time. I just know it,”

The room became blurry once again and Ron wondered just how many memories could be shoved into one pensive.

Once again, the blurriness paused for a moment to show Ginny walking down the aisle, Harry watching her and Ron standing next to him. It skipped and then he was watching them kiss before the blurriness returned.

He closed his eyes and shook his head. When he heard his mother’s voice, he opened them up again.

“Who else are we waiting for?” Mrs. Weasley asked Ginny and Harry.

“Hermione,” Harry answered.

A moment later, a young woman with bushy brown hair entered the kitchen.

“Sorry, Ron wouldn’t let me leave,” she said with a blush.

Harry chuckled.

At that moment, Ron realized that this was the night after the wedding. He and Hermione had been upstairs, after being together for the second time, lying down on the bed silently. She’d suddenly jumped up and started randomly putting clothes on muttering that she had to go talk to Ginny. Ron kept fussing with her, whining that she had loads of time to talk to her and he wanted her to stay with him. But she’d left and Ron had pouted.

“Harry and I wanted to ask the two of you to do us a favor. It’s sort of a big favor,” Ginny explained.

Harry, Ginny, Hermione, and Mrs. Weasley were seated around the table. Hermione and Mrs. Weasley nodded.

“Harry and I want to have a baby,” Ginny started, but was interrupted by Mrs. Weasley and Hermione screaming in excitement.

Harry shook his head. “No, just listen, alright? We want to have a baby because we don’t know how much longer this war is going to go on nor how it will end. If one or both of us dies, we want a baby to carry on. We need something that is a part of each of us to live on,”

“But Harry can’t leave the war and I won’t leave his side. I’m in the war now and I’m next to him! But I can’t stand next to him if I’m pregnant. What’s the point of putting our baby’s life in danger when we want it live on no matter what happens?”

“What are you getting at?” Hermione asked.

Ginny closed her eyes as she realized how hard this actually was.

“We want you to carry our baby, Hermione,” Harry said.

The room went silent. Mrs. Weasley sat with her eyes wide and her hand over her mouth. Hermione’s face was screwed up as if she was trying to comprehend what Harry had said.

“You are our best friend, Hermione, and we want you to do this for us. We don’t expect you to decide right away, nor did we take it into our own hands to tell Ron just yet,” Ginny was cut off by Hermione.

“Yes. Yes! Of course! Merlin, how could I say no?” Hermione was clearly beside herself with happiness and shock. She kept shaking her head and finally got up to hug Harry and Ginny.

“I’m so honored,” Hermione whispered through her tears, getting Ginny’s shoulder wet.

Ginny smiled and for one of the only times in Ron’s life, he saw Ginny cry.

Of course, it wasn’t big or obnoxious. It was barely noticeable. But he saw it. And he could tell that Harry saw it because he walked over to her and pulled her into a tight embrace.

“I love you, Harry Potter,” Ginny told Harry, her face nestled into his chest.

“I love you, Ginny Potter,” Harry responded kissing the top of her head.

Mrs. Weasley was bawling.

“Dears?” she asked with a hiccup.

Harry, Ginny, and Hermione looked over at her.

“Why, if you didn’t tell anyone else, did you want me to know?”

Ginny walked over to her mother and hugged her tightly. “Firstly, we want you in this baby’s life. Secondly, we were hoping you would do the incantation,”

Mrs. Weasley began to cry again.

“Are you going to tell the rest of the family?” Hermione asked.

Harry shook his head. “Actually we sort of wanted to wait. We were hoping that we could announce it to everyone once your stomach started to show your pregnancy. We also want everything to be taken care of the muggle way so that no one will know that there is a baby Potter,”

“We wanted, for now, to keep it between us three, and maybe Ron. But we understand if you don’t want to tell him right away. He might react kind of poorly and that’s the last thing we need since we’re going back out to fight next week,” Ginny explained.

“Hermione isn’t going back to fight, no questions!” Mrs. Weasley commanded.

“That’s actually fine, because I’ve gotten that job at St. Mungo’s and I wasn’t going to take it, but now it would only make sense that I did,” Hermione told them.

Ginny and Harry stared at Hermione with thankful looks.

“Now, when would you like do this?” Mrs. Weasley asked.

“Actually, we were kind of hoping tonight,” Harry answered.

“Oh, Merlin! Well, we can most certainly do that! Let me just get my book,” Mrs. Weasley held up her wand and a book titled The Wonders of Pregnancy came flying at her.

Catching it, Mrs. Weasley looked through the pages and found what she was looking for.

“How do we…? I mean, do I need to…,” Harry couldn’t quite get out what he wanted to ask. He fidgeted. This might be awkward.

“No, no, nothing of that sort. This might feel weird, though,”

Ron watched as his mother pointed her wand just below Harry’s stomach, and muttered a spell, causing a small little blur of something that hung in the air. She then did the same to Ginny and joined the two blurs together. Pointing just below Hermione’s stomach, she muttered something more, and the blur disappeared into Hermione.

Hermione’s breath caught slightly and she grabbed onto her stomach. “I felt that,” she whispered in awe.

And before Ron could watch any longer, the memory began to change again. He knew as soon as he opened his eyes what this was. He didn’t need a pensive to relive it, because he saw it every day in his own head.

“It seems so weird,” Ginny thought aloud to the room.

She was laying face-up on her and Harry’s bed with her legs hanging off the end. She was focusing on the ceiling. Harry was looking out of the window while the younger Ron was standing, leaning against the closet door, and Hermione was spread out on the carpet, also looking up at the ceiling. They were all deep in thought.

“It won’t be for long, right?” Hermione asked the room.

“No, it won’t be long,” Harry answered, never taking his eyes away from whatever he was watching out of the window.

“Harry,” Ginny whispered. Harry’s head snapped toward her and Ron looked down at Hermione.

Harry sat down on the carpet with his knees up and spread apart. Ginny walked over to him and sat between his legs, pulling her knees up to her chest and laid a hand on each of Harry’s thighs.

Hermione sat up as Ron came over to her and sat behind her. She scooted back so that she was sitting against him, both of their legs straddled out. She pushed her head back into his chest and he laid his chin on it. He wrapped his arms around her when he felt her tremble with tears.

The older Ron watched himself unknowingly place a hand on Hermione’s stomach. He saw her close her eyes tightly as if holding back from yelling something.

“You can’t leave me for long!” she cried.

“Don’t cry, love, we won’t,” Ron soothed.

“Yeah, Ron’s right. I mean, we are accident prone! We’ll probably see you soon, Healer Granger,” Ginny giggled.

Hermione smiled weakly.

“Thanks, Mrs. Potter,” she said and Ginny smiled proudly.

“Yes, I am! And soon we’ll have little Potters running around this house!”

Harry pulled Ginny closer to him and smiled at Hermione.

“You’re pregnant?” Ron cried. The room laughed.

“No, Ronald! Do you seriously think that I would fight and finish this war if I were?” Ginny asked incredulously.

Ron shrugged. “Never know. You are so damn stubborn! Besides, I was just taking care of my kid sister, even if you are nineteen. If Mione was pregnant, then I wouldn’t let her fight,” Ron explained.

The older Ron had forgotten that he’d started to call her that. It was almost like “’Mione” was so much easier than “Hermione” but then he realized that it hadn’t been about that; it had been about nicknames. Kind of like when they were alone together, she called him “Ronny”. He would’ve hated it from anyone else, but from her he didn’t mind.

Hermione’s voice shook him back to the memory.

“Well, you wouldn’t have to worry about that if I were, Ron, because I’m not fighting anymore, anyway,” Hermione pointed out.

“True. Ginny, I’m just taking care of you. The best care.” Ron told her.

Ginny cocked her head to one side. “Always?” she whispered.

“Forever,” Ron whispered back before winking.

This time, Ron hadn’t really been expecting the change and when he opened his eyes, he jumped because it was such a dramatic change from the last memory.

“Healer Granger, we need you in here! Three bodies just came in! Beyond repair, I think,” a short woman in a white gown shouted at a flustered yet somewhat calm Hermione.

Ron watched as she took a deep breath, rubbed her stomach lightly, and ran after the lady. He followed them into a room and gasped at the bodies. Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnegan, and another boy their year she thought had been in Hufflepuff.

Hermione examined each of them and muttered spells and incantations. She yelled at the short woman for a number of different things that Ron assumed were potions.

“Get them set up in a room! I think that this one and this one will recover. Put this one in critical care, because I don’t think I can spend enough time on him to save him,” Hermione’s voice cracked at the last part and Ron knew it was because she couldn’t believe that there was someone she couldn’t help.

“He did it! You-Know-Who is gone! Harry Potter’s killed him!” someone yelled from the hall.

Hermione smiled and started to cry. Ron could tell that she was relieved yet worried.

“Damn it! Someone get out here, now! Granger?” the voice hollered so loud that Ron covered his ears.

Hermione sprinted past Ron and into the hall. “What do-”

Ron went out to see what had stopped Hermione from continuing. He heard her scream before he could see what it was. He’d never heard anyone scream that loud in his life. She was on her knees, crying harder than she’d ever cried, trying to clutch at two lifeless bodies.

“No! Please! Please!” Hermione was crying.

Luna Lovegood came out of nowhere and wrapped her arms around Hermione.

“Please, god no! Don’t take them! Please don’t take them from me!” Hermione was screaming.

Ron hadn’t realized it, but he was on his knees, too. He was staring at the bodies of Harry and Ginny and he was absolutely beside himself. He couldn’t breathe. He was crying so hard that he couldn’t breathe. He, Ronald Weasley, was sobbing.

When he opened his eyes again he was at the Burrow in Ginny’s room. After the wedding, Ginny and Harry had moved up to Fred and George’s old room, leaving Hermione with Ginny’s.

He was still on his knees, crying as if there was no tomorrow and he watched Hermione pack her things into a suitcase that was charmed so that more could fit in it than appeared.

She was still sobbing, but was taking things from everywhere and putting them into the suitcase. And then she picked up a picture of the four of them on Harry and Ginny’s wedding day. She sunk down onto the bed, holding the picture to her chest and screaming at nothing in particular.

And then the door opened behind him and Ron watched himself walk over to Hermione and grab her into his arms. He was kissing her forehead, his face covered in dried dirt with tear streaks down his cheeks. He was trying to hush her but it wasn’t working.

And that was when the younger Ron noticed the open suitcase, filled with all of Hermione’s belongings. He screwed up his face. “Where are we going?”

Hermione shook her head. “I’m leaving,” she whispered with a small hiccup.

“’Mione! Where the bloody hell are we going?” Ron yelled.

The older Ron knew that the younger Ron was upset because he knew deep down what Hermione was going to say.

“I’m leaving, Ronald. I can’t stay here,” she said through her sobs.

Ron shook his head. And right before his eyes, Hermione got up, closed the suitcase, shrunk it into the size of a handbag, picked it up, and left the room, all the while trying to hold back her sobs.

Ron watched himself follow her down into the kitchen. She turned abruptly and he ran into her. She kissed him passionately, whispering that she loved him, before stepping back and Disapparating.

Ron knew that this was the end and wasn’t surprised when he was pulled back out and landed in the kitchen of Hermione’s flat.

She was sitting at the table, waiting for him with a glass of hot tea.

He realized he was still crying and turned away, embarrassed. He jumped slightly when he felt her wrapping her arms around him and burying her face into his chest. He heard her quiet sobs. He wrapped his arms around her and leaned down to put his face in the crook of her neck.

It seemed forever that they stayed like that, each crying into their embrace. And when they parted, Ron realized it was late at night and let her lead him into her room.

She pointed out the bathroom and pointed across the hall to another door that was wide open. He walked across the hall, through the door and went to stand next to James’ crib. He rubbed his back a few times, leaned over to kiss his head of unruly black hair, and whispered a small, “I love you,” before leaving and walking back to Hermione.

She was already in her bed, curled up on her side, crying. Ron took off his pants and shoes, and went to spoon up behind her, kissing her softly and falling asleep.

He didn’t need to ask questions, for he knew that come the next day, everything would be answered.

Only one more chapter after this! Exciting, I know! I’m so terribly sorry for waiting this long to update, but it won’t happen again! Please leave some reviews and constructive criticism. Thank you so much, and I hope you enjoyed it.

Manda
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=43455