His Verity by joanna
Summary: Enter Verity, Faith's sister. Enter Charlie, Faith's colleague. When Charlie comes home, Faith asks him to buy a present for her little sister. And that's when it all begins. Realizing that Verity just might be the girl of his dreams, Charlie asks his mum to invite Verity for Christmas. What happens at the Burrow? Read on to find out!
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3487 Read: 1605 Published: 02/01/06 Updated: 02/01/06

1. His Verity by joanna

His Verity by joanna
Charlie stepped into Diagon Alley and took a good look around. Last time he was there no shops were open’. But now, the famous Wizarding street was full of merry people going about their business. They were doing their Christmas shopping the day before Christmas. Charlie caught a fleeting glimpse of Hagrid’s back as he turned around, but the half-giant vanished from sight after turning onto Knockturn Alley.

After buying his usual unction for the not healing wound on his left upper arm“a constant reminder of the Final Battle against Voldemort and his Death Eaters“he stepped into the redesigned owl shop. The shop owner looked up at the sound of the bell and then recognition lit up his face.

“Well, well. The great Charlie Weasley himself,” he said mockingly.

“In person,” Charlie replied with a smirk. “Hello, Bertram! I see you’ve got what you wanted,” he said and looked around.

“Finally. After old Eeylops’ death, Auntie Eleanor couldn’t bear the hooting and screeching anymore and decided to leave the shop to me.”

“Good for you,” Charlie said, again taking a look around.

“Actually, good for her. She still gets her yearly share, the sly old vixen!” Bertram said, but it was clear from his tone that he admired his aunt. “But you couldn’t know that, it happened only three days ago. So― May I help you, sir?” he asked in a professional manner.

“Indeed, you may,” Charlie said and pulled out a parchment. For a second the conversation, at which end this note was thrust into his hand, rushed through his mind.

“It’s for my sister, Charlie. She is a sensible girl, so don’t buy her a snowy owl or something posh. But it mustn’t be too usual, like a barn owl, we are speaking about my little sister, after all. I’ve written a memo for you. Here.”

“Faith, you really think I’m not capable to buy an owl for you sister?”

“You don’t know her enough. I’m just being helpful.”


“’Nothing fancy, nothing too big or grand, a young owl with a bit funny look to it,’” he read. After finishing, he looked up and saw Bertram’s laughing face.

“Trust Faith to give you an order. Well, I think I have just what you are looking for. It was sent to me two days ago,” he told Charlie, as he showed him a tiny owl. “It’s a Flammulated Owl, and it comes from British Columbia, Canada. You like it?”

“He is pretty,” Charlie admitted.

“Well, he is a she, but never mind,” Bertram said, flashing a grin at him. “Do you want a cage as well?”

“But will it be able to carry letters from Britain to Hungary or Romania?” Charlie asked, still hesitating whether he should buy the owl.

“But of course! She has been from Canada to Guatemala. She is a very tough little owl,” Bertram praised the bird while stroking her feathers.

“Does she have a name?” Charlie inquired at the same moment, as a little girl stepped in, followed by her mother and father.

“Not yet,” Bertram answered, after greeting the new costumers. “May I help you?” he asked them, signaling Charlie to think it over.

“We are looking for an owl for Chloe,” the mother answered his query.

“Mum, I want this one!” the little girl shrieked as she saw the tiny owl on the counter.

“Sorry, but that’s already taken,” Bertram informed them, after casting an inquiring look at his friend and receiving a nod from him.

“Give me a cage, Bertram, will you?” Charlie asked his friend, ignoring Bertram’s all-knowing grin.

Charlie sent the tiny owl home and then went to number ninety-three, where Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes was located. He looked at the shop window and smiled broadly. He was proud of his younger brothers, of what they have achieved in the past four years.

“Good evening, Mr. Weasley!” Verity greeted him.

“Good evening!” he greeted the young witch. “How are you doing?” he asked the assistant.

“Very well, thank you, Mr. Weasley. Oh, Mr. Weasley and Mr. Weasley, your brother is here.”

“You know you could call me Charlie,” Charlie said after greeting his brothers. “It gets a bit confusing with all the Mr. Weasleys.”

“If Mr. Weasley and Mr. Weasley don’t mind,” Verity said and looked at the twins for agreement.

“No, we don’t mind, Verity. You can call him Charlie,” Fred gave his consent, and received a slap onto the back of his head from his older brother.

“You know, that was pretty condescending,” Charlie explained, seeing the question on George’s face.

“Well, he is, of course, right,” George agreed and turned to Fred. “Apologize to Verity!” he instructed his twin brother.

Fred did so and received from Charlie a friendly pat on the back, which sent him forward.

“So, let’s talk about business, brothers of mine,” Charlie said and turned to face them. “You’ve got everything I’ve ordered?”

“Almost everything,” Fred told him. “Mum’s gift is still missing, but we await it no later than this night.”

“Very well. How much do I owe you?” Charlie asked George.

“Verity will tell you, and you can give her the money too,” George responded and they turned to a customer who was looking for a special Wonder Witch product.

Charlie watched Verity calculating the final sum and then paid.

“And how is…” he started to ask, but forgot the name and had to pull out the note, “Egan?”

“Well, I don’t know, since we are not together anymore,” Verity told him, not looking up from the ledger.

“You broke up?” Charlie asked, incredulously.

“Yes,” Verity said, nodding. She looked up for a second, but then blushed and returned her attention to the account book.

“But why?” Charlie asked bluntly, Faith’s list of questions long forgotten.

Verity looked up at him and Charlie saw that she was hurting.

“You don’t have to talk about it; it’s really none of my business.”

“Did Faith ask you to interrogate me? I bet she made a list,” she said, smiling indulgently.

“Well, you know her,” Charlie said, smiling apologetically.

“Well, you can tell her, that we broke up because I’m a Squib.”

“But I thought this Egan was a Muggle,” Charlie stated slightly confused.

“Exactly,” Verity confirmed. “One day he got jealous because I couldn’t tell him where I was working.”

“I see,” Charlie said, nodding. He had always found it interesting how Squibs managed their lives. They were trapped between the Wizarding and the Muggle world, not belonging either there or here. He always admired how Verity handled this problem. She was the youngest girl of four, and everyone else in the family was able to do magic. She saw as her three sisters left for Hogwarts and although she was raised to know about it, to dream about it, she was denied of its opportunities.

“And what else is on that list?” Verity asked him curiously.

“Never mind that, we both know Faith,” Charlie reassured her. “You know what? You should come over to the Burrow for Christmas.”

“No, I couldn’t,” Verity told him and shook her head. “That is a family feast.”

Charlie consented seemingly, but a plan was beginning to take shape in his mind. He said his good-byes and Apparated home.

“Mum!” he called as he stepped into the house.

“In the kitchen,” he heard Hermione’s voice.

“Hullo!” he greeted them, as he entered the kitchen. “What are you two doing?” he asked, after kissing the top of her mother’s head.

“We’re planning tomorrow’s dinner,” his mother responded, bending over a piece of old parchment.

“Mum?” he asked tentatively, but his mother scribbled on, obviously not hearing him. But, Hermione looked up at him surprised.

“Mrs. Weasley?” she asked for Molly’s attention. “I think Charlie wants to tell you something,” she said, touching Molly’s arm.

Charlie’s mother looked up and smiled at her son.

“So you want to bring someone with you?” she stated more than asked.

“Yes, Mum,” Charlie replied. He knew it better than to ask his mother how she knew what he wanted.

“And who is it?” Molly asked, smiling indulgently at her son’s embarrassment.

“Mum, she will be all alone at Christmas!” Charlie launched into a speech. “Most of her remaining relatives are living abroad! And she cannot go to her sister here in England, because of her lineage.”

“Is she a Muggle?” Molly asked.

“She is a Squib,” Hermione told her, her gaze still lingering on Charlie’s face. “But, I have always had the impression that you were in love with her sister.”

“Was never,” Charlie denied. “Besides, she is married now.”

“Who are you two talking about?” Molly interrupted them, growing rather impatient.

“Faith,” Charlie answered.

“Verity,” came Hermione’s reply at the same time.

“So you want to bring Faith tomorrow? But wait a minute! Faith is no Squib!” Molly said, frowning.

“No, she is a witch. I want to bring Verity,” Charlie stated.

“But Charlie―”

“Mum, please,” he implored.

Charlie traveled back to London and went to Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes again. But Verity wasn’t there anymore.

“Where is she?” he asked his brothers.

“Who?” Fred asked back.

“Don’t be dense,” George reprimanded him. “He is talking about Verity, of course.”

“Oh, Verity,” Fred said, with a mischievous grin in his eyes. “Well, she went home,” he said, silently laughing at a joke, only he (and maybe George) could understand.

“And where is that?” Charlie inquired, getting impatient.

“How important is that information to you?” George asked.

Charlie drew his wand in a flash, stunned George on the spot and then turned to Fred, who was looking at the rigid body of his twin.

“Well, obviously it’s very important,” he stated then made a movement with his hand. “She lives just behind the store,” he explained, drew his wand and performed the anti-jinx on his brother. By the time George came to, Charlie was already at Verity’s door.

“Enter!” Verity shouted. “Make yourself at home!”

Charlie chuckled and stepped inside and took a good look around. He had an idea how small her flat would be, but he was surprised as he saw how spacious the living room was. It was nicely furnished and decorated equally with Muggle and Wizarding objects. There was a window which showed a snow-capped mountain.

“Charlie!” Verity exclaimed. “I was waiting for a friend….”

“I see. You must be disappointed,” he said mockingly.

“Well, not exactly disappointed,” Verity said and shrugged her shoulders. “It’s a surprise. Why are you here?”

“Well, I’ve spoken to my mother; she wants you to join us for tomorrow evening.”

“But― You shouldn’t have! Really, I’m completely fine on my own.”

“It’s Christmas, Verity. No one should be alone this time of the year. Besides, I want to ask for a big favor.”

*


Everyone was sitting around the table and enjoying the food Molly and Fleur made for them. Fred and George were talking with Bill, Ron was talking to his father and Charlie was eavesdropping. Verity was talking to Hermione and Fleur. She was telling them about the magic window Fred and George gave her as a Christmas present. Charlie noticed that he was the only one paying attention. Fleur was observing her husband and Hermione was staring blankly into thin air. The young woman threw an unfathomable look at Charlie and then her face lit up.

“So, you wanted to tell me more about them,” she reminded Charlie of his promise. Charlie already gave her the little owl with a message and a photo from the newlyweds. “How was the wedding?” she asked and straightened in her chair, showing her interest. The word ‘wedding’ caught Fleur’s attention and she too straightened in her chair. The movement she made brought Hermione out of her reverie.

“What should I tell about it? It was like any Wizarding wedding,” Charlie told her.

“Well, since I haven’t been to any, you could tell me about this one,” Verity replied.

“You haven’t been to any?” Charlie asked in amazement. “But, you have two other married sisters!” he exclaimed.

“That’s true,” Verity agreed. “But, I was sick when Chastity married. And you know Hope. When Mrs. Vantard told her not to invite any Muggle-borns and such, she uninvited me and Chastity. You see, Chastity married a Muggle-born wizard,” she explained to the whole family, now having their undivided attention.

“In our country there is an old belief,” Fleur began. “They say that a Squib at a wedding means bad luck. It means the child will be a Squib too.”

There was a very long moment of silence while everyone was staring at Fleur in disbelief. She looked around and then stood up.

“Excuse me, I think, Genevieve needs something,” she said, head holding up high she blinked back the tears.

Bill rose and hurried after his wife, throwing one last accusing look at the assembled family.

“What’s wrong?” Verity asked, looking after Fleur and Bill.

“Nothing,” Fred answered, shaking his head.

“Fleur has just insulted you, Verity,” George explained to her.

“No, she didn’t!” Verity cried and rose, too.

When Charlie went after her, he found them in the bathroom upstairs. Bill and Verity were consoling a crying Fleur.

“Don’t be ridiculous, darling,” Bill told her wife just when Charlie stepped in.

“So I am c’est ridicule now!” Fleur shrieked, getting her accent back. “Zey still ‘ate me. After all zees years, zey still ‘ate me,” she whined.

“But, darling, you know that isn’t true,” Bill said and started to take her in his arms, but Fleur stepped back.

“Zey ‘ave accepted ‘er the moment she stepped foot into zis ‘ouse!” she told him, pointing at Verity. “Zey like her, but zey ‘ate me.”

“We don’t,” Charlie told her.

“You don’t ‘ate me, but everyone else does,” Fleur cried.

“Fleur, listen to me!” Charlie said and took her by the shoulders. “Fleur, you sometimes say things, which surprise us, or puzzle us, or even upset us, just like before. It’s because you had a sheltered childhood. We tend to forget about that. But Fleur, we love you. You fought with us. You love Bill. For Merlin’s Beard, without you there would be no Genevieve. You are part of this family!”

“Thank you, Charlie!” Fleur said, hugging him. “I’d like to apologize,” she addressed Verity. “I didn’t mean it that way.”

“I know,” Verity said, smiling.

“Mrs. Vantard’s father was French, I can understand now, why she didn’t want us there,” Verity recounted.

They were sitting in a satiated stupor in the living room and Verity was seated next to Charlie on the couch. Charlie smiled down at her, and placed his right arm over the back of the couch. Fleur and Hermione entered not long after as they had done the washing-up in the kitchen. Arthur stifled a yawn, but Molly caught him and ushered him to their bedroom.

“Come on, we’ll leave the young folk to themselves.”

Hermione left with them and Ron wanted to go after her, but was held back by his older brother.

“Come on! Let’s take a walk outside!” Charlie cried. Bill stood up to follow them. The twins shook their head and sank back into their previous stupor. Verity cast one last longing look after the departing Weasley brothers, but stayed inside with Fleur.

They were sitting in an unusually comfortable silence when Bill entered the house again.

“You should come out,” he said to his wife, his voice grave.

Fleur stood up and so did Verity and the twins. They went outside and saw that Ron was trying to catch up with Hermione, who ran towards the house very agitated. Her eyes were full of tears; silent sobs were shaking her body. Verity noticed this the same moment Hermione bumped into her. They both fell onto the ground, and then Verity gently pushed the unmoving Hermione off of herself.

“Hermione?” she asked unsurely.

But Hermione didn’t answer, so Verity had to repeat her name over and over. After the fifth attempt she noticed a stir in Hermione’s blank eyes and then bent down to her. She whispered reassuring words into the younger woman’s ear. Then had an idea and shared it with her. Everyone was standing above them, everybody looking worried, Ron even murderously grave.

“Hermione, precious,” he said, finally being able to control his rage. He obviously thought that someone hurt his fiancée.

He knelt down and touched her shoulder. Hermione turned over to face him then threw a snowball at him. She laughed out loud and turned to Verity who had a snowball in her hand. She threw it at Bill, to the man’s utter amazement. Bill announced that this treacherous act cried for revenge and took a handful of snow in his hands. But Hermione was faster and threw a snowball at him. Ron was still kneeling, his face showing his complete puzzlement when Verity’s next snowball hit him square into the face.

“Hey, a snowball fight!” the twins cried in unison.

Fleur was looking at her husband, who was throwing his next snowball at Hermione and apparently was as baffled as Ron. She stood there as if rooted to the spot until a snowball hit her.

“Who was it?” she cried out.

“I think it was Charlie,” Verity shouted over the roaring laughter of the boys.

Fleur graciously ducked another snowball“this time it was Ron’s“and hurried to the girls who had found a heap of snow to hide behind.

“We should bewitch the snowballs,” Ron suggested.

“No,” Charlie protested. “Verity can’t do magic. It won’t be fair.”

“Besides, it’s more fun this way,” Fred said.

“And we outnumber them anyway,” George stated the obvious.

But, the girls were faster. The boys made better snowballs, but the girl’s balls never stopped hitting them.

“Hey, Fred!” Hermione shouted. “Next Christmas we want Angelina here at our side! And Luna, too, George!” she shouted after hearing George’s laughter.

They spent the next thirty minutes outside, but then Fleur declared it being over, because she was cold. Bill escorted her back into the house. Hermione and Ron went inside too and the twins Apparated back to Diagon Alley. Charlie and Verity were left alone.

“Do you want to go inside? It’s really getting cold,” Charlie suggested.

“No, thanks. I like being outside. I like the smell of fresh snow,” Verity declined the offer.

They walked slowly towards the east. Neither of them was saying a word, but Verity again found that silence can be indeed comfortable. She suddenly noticed someone else’s tracks in the snow.

“Who was here?” she asked, looking around.

“It was Hermione,” Charlie explained. “That’s why she was so upset. She was here to visit the graves.”

“Harry’s and Ginny’s?” Verity asked.

“Yes,” Charlie responded. “They were buried here, according to Harry’s last wish.”

“I see,” Verity said, nodding. “And Hermione is…”

“She feels guilty, because she stayed alive. And because she is happy with Ron. That’s why I have asked you the favor. Thank you very much.”

“It was no big deal. Hermione is a very nice girl.”

“I know,” Charlie said, absent-mindedly. He was staring at the two gravestones in front of him.

Harry Potter “ he saved the world, again
Guinevra Weasley “ she saved him, again


“It’s so peaceful here,” whispered Verity.

“Yes,” Charlie agreed with a nod, coming out of his reverie. They heard a hooting and a snowy owl perched onto the tree above the graves.

“Hi, Hedwig,” Charlie greeted the owl and the owl hooted back. Verity had never heard such a sad hooting, although she knew some owls in her life. “You miss them too, don’t you?” he asked the bird.

Verity heard the pain in Charlie’s voice and she desperately wanted to do something to ease his pain. She slid her hand into Charlie’s and squeezed it reassuringly. Charlie looked down at her and his face lit up.

“Thank you, Verity,” he thanked her and took her other hand into his too. They were standing there“for what it felt like forever“staring into each other’s eyes. Then, Charlie bent down and placed a light kiss onto her lips.




Many thanks to Kim, my Beta for this story!

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=43516