All In Eight Seconds by Chellaei
Summary: All it took was eight seconds. Eight seconds for two people to decide two very different things. This is a one shot.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1006 Read: 2767 Published: 02/02/06 Updated: 02/02/06

1. Just Eight Seconds by Chellaei

Just Eight Seconds by Chellaei
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters. J.K. Rowling does.

Just Eight Seconds

In eight seconds I knew she was the one. The one I wanted to be with for the rest of my life. I know how that must sound, really clichéd. I had never believed in "love at first sight." I mean how could you fall in love with just looking at a person. But it happened to me. Just by looking at her I knew, I knew she was determined, I knew she was full of passion, fire, and life. Though being only eleven at the time I didn't think much of my feelings, I just knew that I wanted to impress this beautiful girl. I wasn't mature enough then though and made a fool of myself. In those eight seconds I made the girl I loved dislike me.

In eight seconds I knew that James Potter was a conceited prat. In eight seconds I knew that I would have nothing to do with him. Though in those eight seconds, those crucial eight seconds I recognized another emotion. Well I say recognized like I knew what the emotion was, but all that really happened was that I sensed another feeling there. It was a warm and fuzzy sort of feeling. Like when you curl up by the fireplace with your favorite book, and a mug of hot chocolate.

Just eight seconds, that’s all it took me to fall in love with the fiery Lily Evans. Those eight seconds happened six years ago. Now it's near the end of my seventh year here at Hogwarts. The most amazing thing happened near the beginning of this year. Well I better start at the beginning; during the summer I received my Hogwarts letter, and amazingly enough I was made Head Boy. I was sure that the lovely and vivacious Lily Evans had made Head Girl. I decided that I would win the heart of Lily Evans before the end of the school year.

Just those eight seconds, that's all it took for me to discover at least two things about the James Potter. One being that he would stop at nothing to get what he wanted and two he was really cute, no matter what. But I had vowed to myself that I wouldn't fall for him and his ridiculous antics. It would take more than that to win my affection. This is what James Potter seemed to realize at the end of our sixth year and the beginning of our seventh year. I had been mad Head Girl. I wasn't sure who was going to be Head Boy; when I got onto the Hogwarts Express I got the shock of my life, James Potter had made Head Boy! I thought Dumbledore had lost it. Then I started reflecting back, it is true that he and his friends were troublemakers. Though when I thought about it, James just wasn't a troublemaker he was a leader and a hard worker, an ideal role model for the younger students.

Now its the end of the year and near the middle Lily and I became the most famous couple Hogwarts had every seen. Me, James Potter, one of the infamous Marauders, and Lily Evans, the rule abiding, good citizen, a couple. I had always hoped that it would be this way, Lily and I cuddled together by the fireplace. Just sitting and enjoying each other’s presence. It was peaceful and comforting.

Now it the end of my seventh year, near the middle James and I had become a couple. I never thought it was possible for me to fall in love with James. He was always causing trouble and was always an arrogant egotistical prat. Though once he relaxed more around me and let me see who he truly was. A loyal friend ready to defend what was right, a hard determined worker, and a man, a man that I could live with for the rest of my life. The man that I wanted to live with for the rest of my life, the man that I loved, loved since the first day I laid eyes on him. We sit here in our Head common room, by the fireplace, in each other’s arms just enjoying being with each other. I never wanted this peaceful and comforting feeling to leave.

It’s time I thought to myself. It’s time to make Lily Evans my wife, it’s time to ask the ultimate question. I untangle myself from her arms she looks up at me questioningly. I kneel down next to the couch; I take her tiny, soft hands in mine and look into those endless emerald orbs. She looks back, those beautiful orbs full of love, love for me. I have butterflies in my stomach, I’m so nervous even though I know what her answer will be “yes.” Sirius had been urging me to do this for weeks; Remus was more understanding and said to do it when I felt ready. “Lily Evans?” she replies with a smile, “Lily will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?” Tears spring into her eyes and she starts to laugh she cries “Yes! Yes James I will!” It’s the happiest moment of my whole seven years at Hogwarts.

James has finally proposed to me. I’m so happy all I can do is hold onto James and laugh and cry into his shoulder while he buries his face into my auburn locks. I had been waiting for this moment to happen for weeks. I knew it would happen, I’m glad it happened now, when we will be graduating tomorrow. Then we can get married in the summer; I’ve always wanted to get married in the summer. I’m so happy, this is most definitely the happiest moment of my whole seven years at Hogwarts.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=43608