Goodbye by tot_desidero
Summary: It's the summer after their sixth year and Harry, Ron and Hermione have returned to the Burrow after a quick stop at number four Privet Drive. A week after Bill and Fleur's wedding Harry realizes that it's time to leave but he needs to say goodbye to the redhead that stole his heart. A one-shot song fic may be fluff to the extreme for some.
Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2712 Read: 1745 Published: 02/09/06 Updated: 02/09/06

1. As I Leave You by tot_desidero

As I Leave You by tot_desidero
Softly, I will leave you softly
For my heart would break if you should wake and see me go


Harry woke with a start, unsure of where he was. He knew that he couldn’t be at number four Privet Drive anymore, he was too comfortable. While his eyes adjusted to the surrounding darkness he realized that he was half-lying on the sofa in the living room of the Burrow. It was early in the morning but the sun had yet to rise. As he made to get up he noticed that he wasn’t alone. Ginny had fallen asleep next to him with her head on his chest. Watching her sleep his mind wandered to the events from the previous night.

So I leave you softly, long before you miss me
Long before your arms beg me stay
For one more hour or one more day


It had been a week since Bill and Fleur’s wedding and the Weasley family, save Percy, plus Harry and Hermione were sitting down to another one of Mrs. Weasley’s fantastic meals. Looking around the table at everyone talking merrily Harry knew that it was time to leave. They had to start soon or else he felt that he wouldn’t be able to leave his adopted home behind. After he finished his dinner he motioned for Ron and Hermione to follow him to his, really the twins’, room to break the news.

“I know that we’ve only been here a week, but I think it’s time for us to go to Godric’s Hollow. We should leave as soon as possible.” Harry said this looking at the floor, unsure what his friend’s reactions would be.

“Alright, mate, but can we leave in the morning? I want to say goodbye to everyone and spend at least one more night in my room.” Harry looked up at Ron and saw that there was no hesitation in his eyes. Looking over at Hermione he saw that she wasn’t backing out either.

“Right, yeah we can leave in the morning. But don’t tell anyone that we’re leaving for good. Just go around and say we’re going into town early tomorrow morning or something. I don’t want a big fuss.”

“Err, alright. Well best get started on that and packing then.” Ron made to leave but Hermione stopped and turned.

“You know, Harry, you should really talk to Ginny. She hasn’t come out of her room since we got here except for meals and the wedding.” Harry opened his mouth to protest but Hermione cut him off, “I know that you want to keep her safe, but if you just up and leave she’ll be even more heartbroken than she already is. Just talk to her and say goodbye.”

As Ron and Hermione left Harry was trying to struggle with how to approach Ginny. For the past week he had been giving her a wide berth avoiding her questioning gaze but all the while sneaking glances at her. He could tell that she was hurt and depressed because he was feeling the same way. But no matter how much his heart ached to hold her and tell her everything would be okay his head told him that he was doing it for her. He would swallow the pain so that they had a chance of being together in the future.

After all the years, I can’t bear the tears to fall
So, softly as I leave you there


He had broken up with her at Dumbledore’s funeral to save her from Voldemort’s wrath. How successful that tactic would be was yet to be seen. Snape had surely mentioned that he had been seeing her to Voldemort. Just the thought of Snape giving more information to Voldemort to ruin Harry’s life gave rise to the bubble of hate that had been swelling in his chest. He couldn’t let anything happen to Ginny because of him and his feelings for her.

During the wedding the realization that she wouldn’t be by his side hit him harder than ever. He hadn’t seen her all day leading up to the ceremony until she walked down the aisle next to Ron. Her golden bridesmaid robes caught the sun and they seemed to light up the air around her. Her auburn hair had been twisted into soft ringlets that framed her face and tiny flowers had been laced throughout. Harry couldn’t help but stare and hope that she’d dance with him at least once at the reception. When he finally broke his gaze he noticed that Hermione was smiling sadly, watching him watch her.

After the ceremony was over the chairs disappeared and became a dance floor surrounded by tables. Hermione and Harry decided to sit at a table with Lupin, Tonks, and a couple other members from the Order. Up at the head table Harry noticed that although Ginny was smiling it didn’t reach her eyes. She turned he head slightly and caught Harry’s eye. They held each other’s gaze but it was broken when Ginny blinked and excused herself from the table. For the rest of the night no matter how hard Harry looked he couldn’t find her.

What Hermione had said was true; he hadn’t seen a whisper of Ginny since the wedding except for meals. Even then it was as though she wasn’t really there; she was silent and ate quickly escaping to her room before Ron could start his second helpings. This above all caused Harry the most pain because he knew that by hurting her he was hurting himself even more.

Without realizing it Harry had fallen back onto his bed and was staring at the ceiling while he was thinking. Sitting up he looked at his watch and saw that it was already after eleven and his hopes to talk to Ginny before it was too late in the night were past. He heaved himself off his bed and walked out onto the landing. Taking a deep breath he proceeded to Ginny’s room. When he reached her door he took another breath before knocking, still having no clue what he was going to say.

“No Ron, I don’t know where your silly Quidditch book is. Why don’t you go ask Harry?” As Hermione opened the door she hesitated for a second when she saw Harry before opening the door wider. Inside the room Ginny was sitting on the windowsill gazing out into the night.

“Hermione, will you just tell him that Fred and George stole it and he can get it back tomorrow? I don’t know why he wants it so bad.” Ginny was still looking resolutely out the window, refusing to acknowledge that there was someone else in the room.

“Err, Ginny, I was wondering if I could talk to you?” Ginny tore her gaze away from the starry night and focused on the figure in her doorway.

“Oh, Harry it’s you. Um, yeah, Hermione do you think that we could have a moment?” As Hermione made to leave Harry stopped her.

“Actually I was wondering if we could go downstairs to talk. There are a lot of things I want to tell you.” Harry shifted uneasily from one foot to the other while Ginny seemed to ponder his proposition. When he was beginning believe that she didn’t want to talk to him she got up and walked out onto the landing.

“Go ahead I’ll meet you down there, I need to talk to Hermione for a second.” As Ginny walked slowly down the stairs Harry turned to Hermione, “I don’t know what I’m going to say to her.”

“Just tell her that you care for her and that you want her to know that. It would also be a good idea to mention that we’re leaving tomorrow morning. Now go down there, so I can start and finish packing and I can get Ron started on his packing.”

“You know you should take some of your own advice, I’m pretty sure that Ron wouldn’t mind sitting down and talking to you.” Hermione blushed as Harry grinned and headed down the stairs.

Entering the living room he watched silently as Ginny paced around the room, once again failing to notice that he was in the room. She didn’t seem agitated or angry but there was a feeling of uncertainty and fear following in her wake. He could hear the clicking her jaw was making as she nervously bit her fingernails. As he closed the space between them he could smell the same flowery scent that dominated his dreams.

Harry gently grabbed Ginny’s arm and spun her around to face him. Her eyes were filled with concern and she slowly pulled her arm out of his hand. “Harry, I know that you don’t want us to be together to protect me. And I know that no matter how much I may want to help you I won’t be there with you. I just want you to know I never gave up on you and I never will.”

“Ginny, I…”

“Don’t, just don’t say anything. It’ll just make it harder when you have to go. I just don’t want to spend the rest of my life locked away from my feelings. I want to be able to laugh with you again, talk to you, and see you.”

“Ginny, we’re … leaving tomorrow morning. I just wanted to tell you so you wouldn’t have to find out like everyone else will. It’s easier if we leave without a big farewell.” Ginny’s eyes began to swim with tears but she refused to let them fall as Harry continued. “I just wanted to say goodbye.”

“Oh.” Ginny turned her gaze to the floor and her hair fell like a curtain around her face. Although he couldn’t hear anything Harry knew that she was crying. Unable to bear the pain he was causing her he put his hand under her chin and raised her head so he was looking straight into her eyes.

“Ginny, I’m sorry that I’m hurting you so much. There’s nothing in this world I care about more than your happiness and safety. So please don’t be angry with me.” He grazed his thumb across her cheek pushing away the tears that had fallen.

“I could never be angry at you, Harry. But who’s to say I’m safer without you? I don’t think Voldemort could hurt me any more than I’m hurting now. Please don’t leave me alone.” She pulled away from him and walked over to the sofa. Silently sobbing she sat down as Harry walked over to join her.

“You’ll never be alone. There’s going to be a part of me with you always, a part of my heart that’s yours forever. I… I love you Ginny.” After he said the words he knew that he had never said anything truer. He couldn’t fool his own heart and he was done trying to fight against it.

Ginny turned to him with her eyes wide with astonishment. Harry reached over and pushed a piece of hair out of her face. As he brought his hand down he gently traced the curve of her face. She caught his hand and held it to her cheek feeling his warmth seep through her. He cupped her face in his hands and brought his head down to meet hers.

Their lips met gently as Ginny’s hands reached around and intertwined her fingers in his messy raven hair. Slowly they increased the intensity of the kiss, the longing and time missed pouring into each other. Neither wanted to break the connection they had made because they knew it would be their last time together.

When they parted they looked into the other’s eyes and they understood that no matter what happened they always had the memories of the time that they had together. Harry leaned back on the sofa and Ginny curled up next to him, placing her head on his shoulder. He absentmindedly stroked her hair and began to drift off, but before sleep claimed him he heard ‘I love you too Harry’.

Softly, long before you kiss me
long before your arms can beg me stay
For one more hour or one more day


Slowly he edged himself out from under Ginny and placed her head on a pillow, covering her with a blanket from a nearby chair. He leaned down and moved her hair out of her face and kissed her on her forehead. As he reached the staircase he took one last look at her sleeping form before going to his room to pack his belongings.

Within an hour he had everything packed since he had never really unpacked when he arrived. He took one last look around the room that had become his over time. He had made sure to leave a note thanking Mr. and Mrs. Weasley for all they had done and not to worry about him. His only worry was that they wouldn’t forgive him for taking their youngest son along with him.

After fighting to wake up Ron and getting Hermione up he had Hermione work a charm to make their trunks fit in their pockets, they went down to the kitchen. They had a quick meal together for what they hoped wouldn’t be the last time they would be in the kitchen of the Burrow. Ron and Hermione began to quarrel about whether or not to bring food along and Harry saw this as his chance to slip out and say one more goodbye to Ginny.

She was still on the couch but she had shifted so she had her back to the room. Harry wanted desperately to wake her and tell her goodbye but he knew that it would be worse for everyone. He settled on kissing her cheek and leaving a letter filled with his hopes and dreams for a better future together. He returned to the kitchen without a glance back and announced that it was time to go.

After all the years, I can’t bear the tears to fall
So, softly as I leave you there


They stepped out into the cold morning air that was filled with a mist uncharacteristic with summer. The sun had just started to rise in the east as they made their way to the end of the drive. Knowing that this could possibly be the last time they would see it they turned and took one last look at the Burrow.

As I leave I you there

Turning back around they walked to the end of the drive and after glancing at one another Harry stuck out his wand arm. With a loud Bang the violently purple Knight Bus came to a halt before them. Stan Shunpike had yet to be released from Azkaban so there was another wizard in his place. They climbed aboard and Ron and Hermione turned expectantly to Harry. He turned to the wizard and stated their destination: Godric’s Hollow. Before the bus took of with another Bang Harry looked out one of the windows and said his final goodbye.

As I leave I you there



A/N: It's my first fic involving Harry and Ginny, but if you enjoyed it you can read my other two fics about Ron and Hermione: My One, My Only and Perfectly Matched. If you didn't enjoy this one please still go and read those two, you might like them better.

Disclaimer: I don't have any rights to the characters or places or anything from Harry Potter, they belong to J.K. Rowling. I also don't have the rights to Softly as I Leave You by Michael Bublé.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=44134