What if...? by Werewolf_sympathiser
Summary: A short one shot that looks at the alternative life of Lily Evans.

I'm really sorry but I've decided to leave this as a one shot. Thanks for reading :)
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1155 Read: 1786 Published: 02/16/06 Updated: 03/04/06

1. Witch? Nah, you must be after my sister. by Werewolf_sympathiser

Witch? Nah, you must be after my sister. by Werewolf_sympathiser
Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters, they're all JKR's.

From the age of seven, Lily Evans dreamed of being a witch. She gobbled up fantasy books and watched any film with the slightest hint of magic in it. Her elder sister, Petunia, often played a magic game with her that was like entering another world.

When Lily Evans was ten and Petunia, eleven, Petunia received a letter from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Her parents had thought it was a hoax but the two girls knew it was real. They were very excited the day Petunia went to Hogwarts.

When Lily Evans’ eleventh birthday rolled around, she hoped for a Hogwarts letter and even stayed sitting by the letterbox all day, but no letter arrived. Lily cried for hours that night.

When Lily Evans was sixteen and studying her A-levels at school, Petunia brought a boy home for the summer. Lily had first heard of him when they returned from King’s Cross and she had been sat in the kitchen munching a digestive biscuit and reading a book on the French Revolution.

“Lily!” Petunia had exclaimed, embracing her. “I’ve got so much to tell you!”

Lily had faked a smile as always and politely inquired as to whom Petunia had brought home with her this summer. Petunia had replied that she had brought her boyfriend, James Potter, home with her and that Lily would meet him later at dinner. Lily was very curious.

When they were sat around the dinner table that night, Lily was amazed to see her sister levitate the plates to the table. She watched wistfully as Petunia put her wand away and sat down.

“Wish you could do that, don’t you?” said a male voice in her ear.

Lily jumped and turned to look at the owner of the voice angrily. So this must be Petunia’s boyfriend. Of all the annoying, smartarse…Lily stopped the rant inside her head and studied him. His expression was not unkind, his hazel eyes were sparkling to show he was teasing her and his black hair stood up messily at the back.

“Yes,” Lily replied in a whisper that was barely audible.

James smiled sympathetically at her and reached for more potatoes.

For the rest of the summer, Lily buried herself in her A-level work but did it outside in the garden under the old Oak tree. The Oak tree never left her, the Oak tree never showed off poxy magic tricks. Oh, Lily Evans was jealous all right but not just because Petunia was a witch and she was not, because of James.

James had been very friendly to her, offering to teach her basic magic until she told him she had no magical ability at all. He’d been sympathetic, listened to her play the piano (though he didn’t really have a choice as Lily’s mum insisted on it) and made her laugh. Lily wanted James to like her more than anything in the world.

When Lily was eighteen, Petunia had come bouncing in from her job at the Ministry to ask how Lily had done in her A-levels. She replied that she had got three A’s having not had much to distract her from her studies. Petunia had asked her if she liked James and she’d replied in the affirmative with indifference.

Then Petunia told her that she and James were engaged to be married the next month and that they had to hurry because an evil power was rising. It had sounded like something out of a fantasy novel to Lily and she was sad to hear that after last summer, when she and James had gone apple picking (illegally from next door’s garden) and had to leg it and hide in a ditch in very close proximity, that he was still with her sister.

The month after, Lily Evans was walking down the aisle behind Petunia as her Maid of Honour. Her heart leapt into her throat when she saw James, as though she were marrying him and not Petunia. He’d smiled at her, she was sure, smiled in a sad way before Petunia reached him and Lily sat down. She briefly wondered if she and her parents were the only non-magical people in the room but as the service continued, she slumped in her seat morosely.

At the reception, James took her aside and told her how sorry he was and how that summer kiss would always mean something to him. Lily had stormed off and shut herself in a side room, beginning to cry. She’d turned to find the room already occupied by a thoughtful looking boy, about the same age as herself, with brown hair.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I’ll just-”

“No, it’s fine,” replied the boy. “Hey, are you ok?”

“No,” mumbled Lily, unable to stop herself crying.

“You’re the sister of the bride aren’t you?” Lily nodded.

“Lily,” she said.

“I’m Remus,” said the boy. “Here, sit down and tell me what’s up.”

And Lily had done exactly that. Remus had looked after her for the rest of the night, dancing with her and introducing her to people. At the end of the night, he’d told her he’d owl her and she’d laughed and told him she wasn’t a witch. Remus had shrugged and told her it wouldn’t matter and so she’d agreed and thanked with a kiss on the cheek.

When Lily was twenty-one, she was deeply in love with Remus and almost married him but his condition, he said, made it impossible. James had come up with the old solution of the Whomping Willow leading to a house in the woods but Remus had said there was a chance he’d break free. Lily cried for hours that night.

When Lily was twenty-two, she was able to marry Remus. James and his best friend, Sirius, spent months building a safe hold in the woods and it took a year for the Whomping Willow to grow in their back garden and for them to tunnel into the woods- “Using nothing but a spoon,” Sirius had declared proudly. Lily was eternally grateful to them for giving her her happy ever after.

When Lily was thirty, James and Petunia were killed in a freak snowstorm whilst skiing in Canada. Lily was devastated.

Lily Lupin died at the age of eighty-five after suffering from painfully bad arthritis. Remus and their two children visit her grave often and Remus swears he’ll never love another.

A/N: So, what did you think? Do you want me to continue? Do you think I should hang up my pen for good? Review and tell me!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=44670