My Magical Romance by MrsDanRadcliffe27
Summary: Susan Whitmer is your average witch. She loves magic, loves school, and loves to learn. But, this year, she learns the meaning of love, learning it through experiences, and people, that she may never forget.
Categories: Harry/Other Character Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 4496 Read: 13043 Published: 02/25/06 Updated: 09/06/08

1. Love and Chaos by MrsDanRadcliffe27

2. Lies? Not Exactly by MrsDanRadcliffe27

3. With A Little Help From Witch Weekly by MrsDanRadcliffe27

4. Finding a Plan of Action in the Library by MrsDanRadcliffe27

Love and Chaos by MrsDanRadcliffe27
Author's Notes:
It's only the beginning...
It was a glorious day, the blue sky dotted with little puffs of clouds just over the tall, scaling mountains. The air was still summery and warm, even though it was already September. The lake below was rippling slightly as the light breeze made the trees on the edge of the Forbidden Forest sway in rhythm. The students of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry were with friends and were sitting at the edge of the lake, dipping their toes into the cool water. Among these students was Susan Whitmer, who was sitting with her friends Celia Linove and Luna Lovegood, who were also taking advantage of the warm weather.



Susan Whitmer had her back to the great, stone castle, its tall towers and breath-taking beauty the last thing on Susan’s mind.



Susan’s thoughts were elsewhere than the school, further away than her friends could reach. She was thinking of the boy that she had only ever loved, the boy that had taken her heart away with him the moment she saw in getting on the platform to the school that they belonged to throughout most of the year.



Luna and Celia were arguing about which Quidditch team was sure to win the cup, even though the season hadn’t even started for Quidditch. Celia was rooting for the Ravenclaw team, Luna going for the Gryffindor team. Susan was trying her best to ignore the two; she’d rather be having a reverie than hear them squabble again.



It was almost ironic that the students would even be calm and enjoying the end of the summer. They were starting their sixth year at Hogwarts and rumors of the end of the past year were spreading like wildfire, reaching everyone’s ears and then another’s. The only people that knew the truth about what happened at the Ministry of Magic were the ones that were there when the battle for life occurred. Susan was lucky, however, as Luna Lovegood had been there, and her story was the story that Susan and Celia believed.



Susan started to tap her quill to her parchment in frustration. She was trying to complete a complicated Potions essay that was due the next day, and was having trouble concentrating. Susan slammed her Potions book shut with a thwap and then stood up, Luna and Celia’s eyes on her.



“I’m going to the library to finish my essay,” Susan announced. She gathered her things and her bag and left the two girls to argue.



Inside the library was much quieter, but Susan yearned to be outside with the rest of the school, enjoying life and having fun. It was darker and drearier, but it was quiet, which was what Susan wanted.



Susan settled down at a table and opened her Potions book again, attempting to take another go at her essay. About thirty minutes later, Susan set down her essay, it finished and edited. She beamed proudly at the parchment, bending down to scribble her name in the corner. She had no other homework to do, so she retrieved her books, putting them carefully in her bag, and left the library for lunch.



On the way to the Great Hall, Susan saw him. She nearly dropped her bag in surprise, her heart racing at the speed of light, her cheeks flushing and her knees going weak, like every time that Susan saw him. She wanted to run the other direction, but her feet were firmly planted on the ground.



He was walking along with Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley, his two best friends. They were all laughing at something he just said; a few people gazed in their direction, wondering what was so funny. Susan wanted to know what was funny also, wanting to be part of the threesome, but she knew that she couldn’t; they didn’t even know her. Well, Hermione knew her better than him and Ron combined, but it wasn’t enough to be part of their circle.



The threesome passed by her. Hermione gave her a small wave and a smile. It made Susan feel better, but not enough to get her fully happy.



It wasn’t like Susan was like this all the time; she did have a boyfriend and had many friends. Plus, she loved school and magic. Her boyfriend, Roger Davies, the Ravenclaw Quidditch Captain, was sweet and nice, and also a Seventh Year at that. Roger was handsome, holding Susan’s hand at any given moment. Susan enjoyed dating him and being in public with him, but he wasn’t everything that Susan wanted. What she wanted, Susan didn’t know. All that she knew was that she wanted Harry Potter.


Lies? Not Exactly by MrsDanRadcliffe27
Author's Notes:
Drama is comingggg.
That one looks like a duck…with a slightly malformed head…

A soft sigh escaped from Susan’s lips, making the parchment that she was supposed to be writing an essay about…what was it again? Werewolves? That potion? At any rate, the parchment flew up a little, and Susan paid little to no attention to dedicating a brain-cell to the essay, instead gazing out the window at the marvelous blue sky and the puffy, white clouds that lazily floated across.

He was on her mind again. Why? Wasn’t Roger enough? It used to be. His kisses made her stomach flutter and her knees go a little weak. Now…they seemed obligatory rather than pleasurable.

Celia sat to the right of Susan, her nose about two centimeters away from her own essay. She was completely enthralled with it, writing every word that could possibly relate to the subject. Her lovely, shiny, blonde hair partially blocked Celia’s face from view.

“What’s wrong with me?” Susan suddenly said, still examining the malformed duck-cloud.

“Well, lots of things actually,” Celia replied. “In what area are you worried about?”

“Thanks, Celia.” Susan flicked her eyes onto her best friend. “I was more specifically referring to Roger and…him.”

“Well, you heard my suggestion.”

“I don’t want to dump Roger!” Susan snapped defensively. “I…I just…don’t know. I just want things to be a little different.” Susan sighed again, frustrated at herself for not knowing what she really wanted.

Celia responded by scratching more feverishly. Susan returned to gazing out the window. Several minutes passed.

The longer Susan stared, the better his face formed in her mind. His green eyes, his jet-black hair, his charming smile…

“Whatever. I’m not going to dump Roger.”

“If you say so.” Celia stretched suddenly, apparently finished with her essay. “The Quidditch match is tomorrow, right? Are we still meeting up with Luna and that other boy? What was his name?”

“I don’t know. He’s some friend of Luna,” Susan replied half-heartedly. Both Ravenclaw and Gryffindor were playing in the match.

“Alright,” Celia said. “Well, I’m off. Cho wanted me to fix her hair, or something, so I have to go do that. You should really work on your essay.”

“Yes, Mum.”

-/-/-/-

The following morning, Susan lacked an appetite. Her stomach felt “wooshy,” as she so logically described to Celia. Celia rolled her eyes and ignored the situation. As they walked down to the Quidditch pitch, Harry passed by the girls, running towards the changing room.

Harry accidentally jostled Susan’s arm. He switched to running backwards, smiling a bit as he apologized. She quickly replied, “Oh! No! Don’t worry about it!” as he ran off. He gave no response. Susan swore that he scent rubbed off, and when Celia was greeting another friend, Susan sniffed her arm. She smiled wholly, promising herself that she would never wash the arm.

The game was excellent. There were many close saves, goals, and near-fatal falls. Roger flew amazingly, even flying somewhat close to where Susan sat in the stands to blow a kiss at her. Susan merely smiled, a little embarrassed at his action. In the end, Gryffindor won, 280 to 20, much to Ravenclaw’s dismay.

“I can’t believe Potter!” Roger was complaining several hours after the game. He and Susan were sitting comfortably in a chair in the Ravenclaw common room. Roger was completely outraged at the outcome of the game, saying that Ravenclaw had been practicing through every sort of weather to beat Gryffindor.

“Yeah, he was pretty good,” Susan said unhelpfully. She diverted her eyes from Roger, hoping that he wouldn’t be able to see any of her feelings for Harry. She felt bad enough for sitting with him, feeling so uncomfortable all curled up and close.

“Ugh! I’m just so…infuriated!” He said again.

“Well, it’s not the end of the world. It’s only Quidditch,” Celia said. She sat opposite of the two, writing a note to someone. The last rays of the golden sun were reflected in her hair, nearly casting return rays.

“Only Quidditch? Quidditch is everything!” Roger exclaimed. He jumped up from the seat, making Susan virtually fall out as well. “Quidditch is my life!”

“Jeez Celia, don’t you know?” Susan teased. “Quidditch is everything! Everything! Your morning porridge? Brought to you by Quidditch! Your lovely hair clip, that I must simply borrow sometime? Made in part by Quidditch! Your summer holidays to France? Quidditch!”

Roger roared with laughter and for an abnormal amount of time. He was doubled over, his face red, heaving greatly. Small drops of saliva made bids of freedom from his gaping mouth. Roger’s entire appearance was embarrassing, making Susan’s cheeks flare up slightly.

“And this is why I love you, Susan! You’re so funny! I just can’t get enough of you!”

The comment made Susan’s heart jump uncomfortably. Susan and Celia exchanged glances. Roger must have noticed because he said, “What? What’s with the ‘We know something’ looks?”

“Nothing,” Susan replied quickly. She plastered a big smile on her face to aid in winning him over. “Just…I forgot about the essay for that class, and I just remembered it!”

“Yeah, Susan! You better, er, go work on it!” Celia said with the same amount of fakeness. All that was needed to complete the image was a thumbs up from Celia.

Roger gave Susan a quizzical look, but complied. He walked over to Susan and put his arms around her, squeezing her to his chest so that Susan could scarcely breathe.

“I don’t want my little pumpkin pastry to fall behind,” he said happily. He let go of her slightly, putting a kiss on the top of her head.

“Thanks, Roger.” Susan placed a small peck of a kiss on his cheek and quickly walked upstairs into the dormitory.

That was close, she thought as she pulled out the essay. Too close. This can’t keep going on. I need to end it.

-/-/-/-

The following morning at breakfast, Roger was as loud and obnoxious as ever. He was practically yelling in everyone’s ears when they were hardly a foot away, he was making a mess of his porridge, and he was embarrassing Susan on top of it.

“…And I said, ‘Let them eat cake for all I care!’” Roger yelled at Celia, who merely smiled and practically threw her spoon into her bowl. Roger, again, roared with laughter at his anecdote. He slammed his fist on the table, making several oranges jump up and roll slightly.

“Susan!” Celia said harshly, but with a smile. “We should talk for a minute.”

Susan looked up. She had been trying her best to block out the entire situation by reading her Potions book. Roger had been going at his story for the past fifteen minutes, which no one was really listening to. It had to do with something along the lines of a rabbit, Switzerland, and his auntie. Somehow Susan was glad that she was not a part of Roger’s shenanigans.

Celia pushed herself off the bench with her arms. She glared a bit at Roger, who was still laughing, and began to walk out of the Great Hall. Susan got up quickly and followed.

Upon getting out of the noise and away from Roger, Celia said, “He has got to go. You need to get rid of him, and soon. I can’t stand it anymore! Every morning, it’s the same old thing: He yells, he splatters food all over my robes, and he laughs like a wildebeest! I’m sick of it!” Celia stamped her foot to emphasis her distress.

“I know,” Susan replied glumly. “I just can’t. He’s like a wart that won’t go away.”

“That has got to be the worst comparison that anyway has ever made. Actually,” Celia said with some thought, “that’s perfect. He is a little wart.”

Susan sighed. “I think I may ask Harry out. You’re right, this is ridiculous. I’m getting nowhere in this relationship. Roger and I are over.”

“Atta girl.”
With A Little Help From Witch Weekly by MrsDanRadcliffe27
Author's Notes:
Now that Susan has finally made up her mind as to what to do, all that remains is how.
Susan sat on the edge of her bed, still in her pajamas, on the following Saturday morning. Celia sat on the floor, hurriedly sorting through roughly ten thousand past issues of Witch Weekly for a very specific article that related to Susan’s love-life troubles. Sun was streaming though the windows of the tower, casting dancing rays onto Celia’s hair. Susan took a deep breath of sweet near-summer air. She admired Celia’s long, blonde hair, wishing that hers was just as lovely, silky, and gorgeous.

“How much longer will this take?” Susan asked impatiently. She was anxious to begin her Charms essay, which would easily take several hours to complete. Every single professor that Susan had was beginning to put on the end-of-the-year rush of homework and added studying in time for exams.

“Oh, just a few more minutes. I know that this issue is somewhere between last August and last March…” Celia said as she flipped through a magazine. “A-a-and, voila! Here it is!” She tossed the open issue to Susan, who caught it with her arms and elbows.

Wizard Boys and How to End Relationships With Them,” Susan read aloud. The title was blazed upon the top of a long and detailed article filled with several pictures of good-looking “wizard boys.”

Susan threw a skeptical look at Celia.

“Should I even begin to trust this?” she said flatly. Celia rolled her eyes.

Yes. This is what got me through about half of the relationships I’ve been in. It really works. Trust me. If it doesn’t work, then I’ll be a hippopotamus,” Celia said in an offhand tone.

“Fine.”

“Good.”

“But I have another question.”

“What?”

“How do you get your hair so soft?”

“Well,” Celia said, “I think it’s just genetics. Y’know, being partly Veela helps a little.” She laughed.

“Yeah, yeah,” Susan scorned. “Now that we’ve gotten this mess out of the way, I think I’m going to go and work.” Susan eased herself off her bed, her leg stiff from sitting on it.

“You worry too much,” Celia said nonchalantly.

Susan gazed at her friend. “You think so?”

“Yeah. I mean, you’re always panicking about something or other. You’ve got to learn to relax, Su.” Celia flicked a lock of hair away from her face. “Y’know? Reading a magazine isn’t like Avada Kedavra.”

Susan sighed deeply, taking her gaze from Celia to out the window. The clouds floated lazily across the sky, like enormous fish in a river.

“I think once this whole Roger-deal is over, I’ll feel better. Well, I need to really get going. I’ll see you later, Lia.”

-/-/-/-

Later that evening, when Susan was alone in the dormitory, she pulled out the article from Witch Weekly.

Wizard Boys and How to End Relationships With Them,” Susan said softly to herself.

Let’s face it: Wizards are not exactly the smartest of the magical world, are they? Wizards don’t know anything about relationships, and now Witch Weekly is here to educate you on how to educate them on ending a painful relationship.

“First off, witchies, you’re going to need to be CONFIDENT. If you’re nervous, your wizard will think that you don’t really mean what you’re saying. However, you don’t want to be over-zealous or too subdued about breaking-up. Being over-zealous will make your wizard think that you’re too bouncy and bubbly, and like the relationship never meant anything. (Even if it didn’t, you want to end on a good note.)”


Susan looked up from the article and out the window of the dormitory. The moon was shinning brightly from the darkened sky, and stars twinkled faintly at Susan.

Confidence…, Susan thought. I can do that. Susan continued reading:

“Secondly, DO NOT WEEP. Wizards do not understand how to deal with emotion, and putting more on them while breaking-up will not go over well. Remember, timing is everything, and you’re goal is to end whatever relationship you’re in without emotion-ties.

“Thirdly, promise to be FRIENDS. Staying in touch will help the break-up end with good terms. Even if you don’t really
want to be friends, it’ll do you well in the end. And be friendly to him when you see your wizard! Ignoring him will make you both feel awkward, and that is something you want to avoid prior to a break-up. Make polite conversation, and smile. Be kind!

“Fourthly, after the initial break-up, you want to stay HAPPY. Keep busy and active: Letting your mind wander will lead you to become sad, or even feel like breaking-up was a mistake. Doing things that you enjoy “ such as making Potions or designing robes “ will help the after-break-up pass by and let your heart mend. However, if you feel that this break-up was a mistake, and you think you’ll be happier with your wizard, then perhaps you should consider getting back into a relationship. (See the article on getting him back in our next issue!)”


The article went on to describe stories from real witches who successfully broke up with their “wizard.” Susan looked at the attractive wizards on the page, sighing thoughtfully. Suddenly, there came a knock from the dormitory door. Celia popper head lovely head inside the doorframe.

“Hey!” she said as she entered the room.

“Hey. I was just reading that article you lent me.” Susan closed the magazine and tossed it onto the foot of her bed.

“What do you think? Are you going to use it?” Celia asked. She walked over to Susan’s bed, moving the magazine to sit in its place. Celia looked into Susan’s eyes.

“I reckon. I mean, what else am I going to do?”

“When do you think you’ll talk to Roger about it?”

“Dunno. Maybe tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow? Do you think you’re ready?”

“Why not? I believe that I am. I mean, better late than never.”

-/-/-/-

“Hey Roger? Can I talk to you for a moment?” Susan looked at Roger, who was sitting opposite of her at breakfast. He was quietly shoving spoonfuls of porridge into this mouth.

“Sure, Su,” he replied. He took one last spoonful of porridge, eased himself off the bench, and gave a quizzical look to one of his friends. Susan stood up as well, leading the pair to the Grand Hall. She took deep breathes and closed her eyes. Her heart was flitting about in her chest. Once in the Hall, Susan faced Roger and looked him the in eyes. His eyes were a little wet, Susan noticed.

“I…We need to talk,” Susan said nervously. She kept her eyes on Roger’s.

“Susan”” Confidence! Remember! “Before you tell me what you need to say, I need to tell you something.”

“Yeah?” Her heart pounded harder.

“I think we need to break up.”

The words were like music to Susan’s ears. She resisted the urge to smile broadly.

“Oh. Yeah. Well. Er, I was going to say that, too. I just don’t think things are working out.” Susan put her hand on Roger’s shoulder. “But, we can still be friends, right?”

“Yeah, er, of course. You’re really a great girl, Susan,” Roger said sadly. Dear Merlin, this relationship really meant something to him. Just try not to look too happy that it’s over.

“Thanks, Roger. I reckon you’re great, too.”

“I-I need to head off to Potions. I’ll see you later, Susan.” Roger embraced Susan and gave her a peck on her forehead. He walked slowly and sadly off into the corridors. Susan watched him until he had gone out of earshot and quietly yelled,

“YES!”

Susan Whitmer was finally free to go after Harry Potter.
Finding a Plan of Action in the Library by MrsDanRadcliffe27
Author's Notes:
With the new-found freedom from a pressing relationship with Roger Davies, Susan is ready to make the right move with Harry Potter. But, are the mixed emotions and complexities of post-break-up hindering her chances?
Celia advised making a move out of nowhere. Witch Weekly advised making subtle motions and charming him over. Teens on Diagon advised becoming his friend and gently pushing into his group and life.

Needless to say, Susan was quite confounded when it came to actually winning Harry over. Where are the rules? Susan pondered. What are the rules?!

Susan sat in Charms, her chin resting on her left palm, her right hand flicking her wand lazily. They were supposed to be reviewing various charms in time for the finals, but Susan was most definitely distracted by her thoughts of Harry. She was overly pleased that she had ended things with Roger “ was that even allowed in the post-break-up world? Roger had very obviously thrown off his usual amiability and into a state of irritation and grouchiness. Every time Susan saw him in the common room or in the corridors, he would sneer at her and then leave with his friends.

Susan sighed. The leaf of parchment in front of her fluttered with her breath.

“I just don’t understand, Lia,” Susan said to Celia, who was on her right. She was completely focused, her lips pursed in concentration.

“Mmm.”

“How am I supposed to get…him?” Susan whispered in fear of Harry overhearing her. He was sitting between Ron and Hermione on the other side of the room. Harry was just as focused as Celia, but he stopped frequently to have a laugh with Ron, much to Hermione’s dismay.

“Can we talk about this later?” Celia’s charm failed as she turned around the glare at Susan. Susan stopped moving her wand and looked at Celia.

“Yeah “ but I really…never mind.” Susan angrily flicked her wand and sent the ink she was supposed to be charming to change colors off her desk. She sighed again, now bothered that she to clean up the ink mess. Susan gave one last furtive glance at Harry, who was again laughing. Her heart jumped and she smiled to herself.

-/-/-

Several days passed. Susan’s mood was still slightly gloomy due to her lack of understanding of how to become Harry’s girlfriend. She tried to focus her energies on the upcoming exams, but, because Harry was in several subjects with her, calming her heart enough to get through class proved to be worthy of the Triwizard Tournament.

“Y’know, Sue, you could just ask to study with them,” Celia suggested off-handedly one day after Susan had given a look of despair at the trio as they sat at a table nearby in the library.

“You know what? I think I will,” Susan said firmly. She shut her Potions book and gathered her things in her bag. Susan smiled at Celia, who was obviously taken by surprise at her friend’s sudden assertiveness.

Susan walked confidently over the trio’s table, her heart thumping in her chest. Her smile was definitely genuine “ no magic involved. Quite honestly, Susan was surprised in herself; she was proud that she was going to make the first move.

“’Lo, guys,” Susan peeped with a bright voice. “Are you guys working on that Potions’ essay?” Susan offered a smile at Harry, who was sitting on Hermione’s left. He smiled back.

“Yeah, actually,” Hermione returned warmly. “Would you like to study with us?”

“Of course!”

“Here, sit next to me, Susan,” Hermione said, making room between her and Harry for Susan. Susan pulled up a chair from a near-by table and moved into the space. She smiled softly again at Harry, whose cheeks turned a slight pink.

So far, so good. I haven’t made a fool of myself…yet.

Susan’s heart continued to thump as the quartet studied, though the thumps became softer. Hermione and Susan compared notes and questioned each other on various topics, whereas Harry and Ron mostly discussed Quidditch. By the time things were starting to slow down it was time for dinner. Susan could hardly believe that the time had passed.

“Do you want to eat with us, Susan?” Ron asked.

“Yeah! It’d be great,” Hermione seconded.

Susan looked at Harry, who was busy looking at his shoes, his cheeks still a tad pink.

“I’m sorry, but I told Celia I’d eat with her tonight. But maybe some other time! We could go to Hogsmeade together next weekend or something.” Susan adjusted her bag over her shoulder.

“Yeah, that’d be great!” Hermione chirped.

“Definitely,” Ron agreed.

“It’d be great to see you there, Sue,” Harry said with a smile.
“Alright, it’s a date. Why don’t we meet in the Great Hall at nine o’clock, then? Well, I’ll see you guys later.” She waved at them and began to walk off, her heart racing.

Susan met Celia in the Great Hall.

“So?” Celia implored. “How’d it go?” Celia slung her arm over Susan as the two sat down at the end of the Ravenclaw table. Luna sat across them, engrossed in The Quibbler.

“Well, we studied and talked about how Professor Snape’s nose appears to be getting larger with each passing day.” Susan laughed to herself. “Harry said, ‘He probably put a growth charm on it to impress someone.’” Susan smiled, filling her goblet with water. “It was a great laugh.”

A-a-a-a-and?” Celia said, her eyes glowing.

“And what?”

“Did you tell him?” Celia asked excitedly.

“Tell him that I fancy him?” Susan replied dryly.

Yes!

Susan looked Celia, who was smiling broadly and expectedly.

“…You’ve spent too much time in Divination,” Susan said as she grabbed an apple and put it on her plate. “Are you bonkers? Of course not. Why would I want to spring something on him like that?” She smiled. “But, the four of us are going to Hogsmeade next weekend,” Susan said slyly.

“Oh, that’s so great, Susan!” Her best friend gave her a hopeful smile. “I hope this will set things off.” Celia winked at Susan.

“Did you know that the sting of a Billywig is used in Fizzy Whizbees?” Luna sang as she looked up from her magazine.
End Notes:
Bahahaha Snape's nose makes me happy.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=45449