Mummy Loves You by expecto_patronum_this
Summary: The night of Lily and James's death. As Lily watches the Dark Lord destroy everything in her life she has ever cared for, she realizes that she must explain to Harry why she can't be there for him forever, and make sure he knows that "Mummy loves you..."
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2810 Read: 1848 Published: 02/28/06 Updated: 02/28/06

1. Mummy Loves You by expecto_patronum_this

Mummy Loves You by expecto_patronum_this
It was dark outside already. The street lamps had begun to buzz dimly leaving circles of light against the road. Near the house, one of the lamps flickered. It felt like there was a hint of fear in the air, like the darkness outside was slowly seeping in through the small cracks of the house like ink. It was almost as if the pitchy blackness was wrapping smooth fingers around the house, suffocating its occupants. Lily Potter glanced out the window warily as a fog began to creep over the brickwork on the sidewalk like a stealthy fox. She frowned and walked from her bedroom to the kitchen, where her husband, James Potter, sat twiddling his fingers.

“You look nervous, did you know?” she said sitting down beside him.

“Hm?” he said as he looked up, noticing for the first time that his wife had said something. “What was that?”

“Nothing,” she said impatiently. She rubbed at her temples.

“Where’s Harry?” asked James, scratching at his elbow. “I thought you were going to wake him.”

Lily flushed.

“Yes, well, I was going to. But he looked so peaceful “ I couldn’t bear to wake him up.”

James smiled as Lily stood up and walked over to him slowly, drawing her dress-robe around her tightly. She put a hand on his shoulder and he looked up at her lovingly.

“Not that I don’t say it often enough; but, did you know that I love you?” He smiled and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“With every fiber of my being,” she replied, leaning over and kissing him gently on the lips. He made a funny sound as she pulled away.

“No,” he groaned playfully. “Don’t stop, I just got used to it.” Lily laughed and pulled him up off his chair. She wrapped her arms around his neck and ran her fingers through his hair.

“When all this is over “ I’m going to take you and Harry to the park and push you on the swings. You love the swings.”

“Yes,” she agreed seriously. “I do love the swings, especially when it’s you pushing me.”

“Me too,” he nuzzled at her neck.

~*~


“James, please, not any higher! I’m scared I’m going to fall off!” Lily laughed as James gave her another hard push. Small shivers wove their way around her spine as his fingers brushed against her back.

“You aren’t going to fall, I’ve seen you go higher than this loads of times,” called James as she went a little higher in the air. Lily blushed; she wasn’t used to flirting with James. They had only just started being friends in seventh-year at Hogwarts, once he started losing his attitude. But, now that they were spending more time together this summer … well, she was starting to wonder if she had fallen for him.

“I have not gone higher, this is the biggest swing I’ve ever seen!” she replied as the started falling back towards the earth. She braced herself for the anticipated shivers she was sure to get when she felt his touch “ but he never pushed her.

“James?” she called twisting her neck around. James stood just behind her, looking at her seriously. She let her feet drag against the gravel in attempt to slow her down. The small pebbles made a crunching sound as she came to a stop.

“James, what is it?” Lily walked over to him curiously and he just gave a small, thoughtful smile.

He stood silent for a moment. “I would never have guessed we’d be here,” he answered finally, staring into her eyes. She stared back, feeling overwhelmed, like she was staring into his soul. Ashamed, she turned away.

“No, don’t,” he said quickly, putting his hand beneath her chin and lifting it up to meet his gaze again. “Just … don’t,” he whispered.

The dusk had fallen over them like a blanket, and the stars were beginning to shine dimly against the darkening sky.

“Not that I haven’t made it obvious before; but, did you know that I love you?” he said softly, pushing a strand of her crimson hair away from her face and tucking it behind her ear.

“I was hoping “ that maybe “ I know I’ve been awfully cruel to you “ but it’s - It’s nice to hear,” she stuttered nervously, taking a step closer to him. She could hear his breathing; it was so light, so calm…

The moon peeked out from behind a white, rolling cloud. Lily shivered as the cold of the night began to set in. An owl hooted somewhere in the trees beside the park. The branches danced lightly in the breeze “ whispering secrets to one another.

“Lily Evans, we have been through a lot. I mean - You’ve seen me do a lot of things and I - I don’t blame you if you don’t want to, but “ could I “ may I … kiss you?”

Lily smiled and pursed her lip. Nodding, she brought her face up to his, placing her hand against his chest.

Their mouths met softly, his lips parted slightly to greet hers. She could feel his heart beating like a drum against her hand. She wondered if hers was sounding off as violently as his…

He pulled back and sighed.

“I’ve wanted to do that for a long time,” he admitted.

“I know,” laughed Lily, running over to her swing and sitting down. “Now push me, you creep!”

He ran over to her and wrapped his hands over the chains, pulling back and letting go. She flew into the air, her hair bellowing out behind her.

“You’re mad!” he called out to her as she threw her head back with laughter.

“Yes,” she cried back, “but we’re mad together.”


~*~


Lily’s reminiscing was shattered by the yowl of a street cat somewhere outside knocking over a garbage can with a loud clatter. The silence that followed it felt odd. Lily listened carefully and was unnerved when she failed to hear the usual nighttime noises she was used to.

A cry drifted in from the bedroom.

“Bloody cat woke the baby,” said Lily pulling away from her husband. James went over to the window and pulled aside the curtains. “That’s strange,” he commented quietly, “all the street lamps have gone out…” Lily walked quickly to the bedroom where Harry was waving his arms around, searching for someone to pick him up.

“Oh, Harry - It’s all right, honey - mummy’s here. Mummy’s got you - shh now - it was just a cat - there’s no need to cry like that.” She rocked the child back and forth in her arms lovingly as he continued to wail. Lily raised her eyebrows as he wrapped his fingers around her pinky and held on to her tightly. “What’s bothering you so, Harry? Did you have a nightmare? Shh, now, it’s all right … hush.”

His cries slowed down and he closed his eyes, she set him back down in her crib. She looked at him and a smile played around her lips. He was beautiful, with his hair already dark and messy like his father. But with my eyes, she thought stroking his arm. Lily looked up as she heard a bang come from the kitchen and James holler.

“James?” Lily left the bedroom cautiously and walked towards the kitchen. She saw the front door was blasted off its hinges and stopped. James stood a few feet away from her, his wand held out in front of him.

“Run, Lily! He’s found us! RUN!” James ran to her frantically, a dark figure appeared in the front doorway and Lily could feel the blood draining from her face.

He found us … but how?

Not realizing what was going on, she ran back down the hall and stopped.

“JAMES!” she screamed. Where was her wand? Where had she put her wand? She looked beside her bed, rummaging through her drawers. She couldn’t find her wand.
She had left it on the kitchen table “ beside the paper James had been reading.

Without thinking, she left the bedroom and sprinted back to the kitchen.

“Avada Kedavra!”

She watched as her husband dodged the jet of green light that had just issued from Voldemort’s wand. The Dark Lord cackled.

“Congratulations, James “ you’ve managed to evade death yet again. Surely your luck must run out eventually, though. Crucio!”

James screamed in pain as the curse hit him, he writhed in pain and Lily started to cry. Forgetting to remain hidden, she cried out, “Stop it, please. Stop it!”

Voldemort turned his sickly pale face towards her in what appeared to be amusement. “Stop it?” he replied with a twisted grin. “My dear, I’ve just started.” He lifted the curse off James, who attempted to stand up.

“You’ll never find him “ Harry’s not here,” Lily attempted to lie.

Voldemort shook his head impatiently. “Stupid girl, you can’t lie to me. Where else would the child be? After all, you’re his parents…”

~*~



A final gasp of pain issued from Lily’s lips as she finally delivered her baby. She fell back against the pillow and closed her eyes as she heard the comforting sound of an infant’s cry.

“He “ He’s beautiful,” gasped James looking in awe at the bundle the nurse had just handed him. Lily looked up at James, who had started to blubber.

“Oh, don’t even start with that, if anyone should be crying it should be me,” spoke Lily with a playful smile. James turned the baby towards her and she reached out her arms to grasp him.

“Meet your son, Lily. He’s everything you wanted,” James whispered into her ear. She breathed out in wonder.

“Everything is so tiny,” she whispered as she ran her fingers over the baby’s. “What should we call him?”

“Andrew?” suggested James.

“Andrew?” replied Lily sticking out her tongue. “No. He doesn’t look like an Andrew. What about a more uncommon name… like, Silas?”

James looked at her seriously. “Lily, you named your dog Silas. I hated that dog; it peed on my leg.” Lily laughed.

“I had forgotten about that “ no, not Silas,” she murmured. “What about…” she looked thoughtfully and the ceiling, “What about…Harry.”

“Hmm, ‘Harry’. I like the sound of that,” said James with a nod.

“Hello Harry,” whispered Lily.

“Hey now, wait I minute. I said I liked it, not that I wanted to name him that,” said James indignantly. Lily raised her eyebrows at him, looking mildly unimpressed.

“But, now that you mention it, it is the perfect name,” James agreed quickly, clearing his throat. Lily smiled approvingly and focused her gaze on her child, who had his eyes closed in her arms.

“Hello, Harry,” repeated Lily.



~*~



Lily became aware of the silence in the house as Voldemort stood facing her. She could only hear James panting in the background of her mind; nothing stood out to her other than the cold, red eyes of Voldemort, they were delving into her very soul … sifting through her very thoughts and memories…

James stood up shakily while Voldemort had his back turned to him. Lily nervously watched as he raised his wand at Voldemort.

“Ava -” began James.

Voldemort twirled around and pointed his wand at James.

“Avada Kedavra!” the Dark Lord cried out once more. Lily watched in what appeared to be slow motion as the curse exploded from the tip of the wand and flew towards James; her husband. The man she loved. The man she promised to grow old with…

This time, James didn’t dodge it.

She could feel her heart breaking as she watched his eyes open wide in horror. The pain was consuming her; it was like someone had stabbed her in the chest with a knife. She remembered their wedding day, the way his lips were so gentle, the way his eyes could mesmerize her. She loved him. How could somebody kill the man she loved?

“NO!” screamed Lily, bursting into tears as James lifeless body fell to the floor and landed with a sickening thud. She didn’t have time to grab her wand; instead, the instinct to survive took over, and all she could do was run to Harry.

Lily closed and locked the door; she pressed her back against it, sobbing uncontrollably.

James was dead.

She didn’t have time to kiss him, to tell him she loved him…he was gone. She would never see him again. Life in that moment seemed like a nightmare, one which she wished that at any moment she could wake up from. Desperation and tears had blurred her thoughts. She looked at Harry; he was sitting up in his crib and looking at her with curiosity. Lily could feel her heart breaking apart as she realized what she had to do.

“Harry,” she wept, picking up her child and holding him against her heart. She didn’t know why, but she hoped that by hearing her heartbeat Harry would remember her.

“I know I told you that I would never leave you; but Mummy’s not going to see you again, Harry. I’m so sorry, honey, but I can’t stay with you.” Lily’s voice was broken into sobs and tears fell against her sons head, she breathed in deeply. Her heart raced as she heard the footsteps calmly coming down the hallway. “But you must always remember that, no matter what happens, Mummy loves you. Remember that Harry. I love you. And so does Daddy. Just because we can’t be with you… doesn’t mean we don’t love you.” Lily’s voice cracked as she thought of her husband, and of her son. Why did this have to happen? Why did her life, her family, have to be torn apart by one thoughtless, evil man’s need for power? Harry looked at her calmly, his eyes searching his mother’s tear-filled ones. Lily needed to save her son.

Behind her, the door flew open and Voldemort stepped into the room. Lily twirled around and put Harry back into the crib. She stood in front of her child as Voldemort glided over to her.

“Not Harry, not Harry, please not Harry!” she cried as Voldemort drew his wand.

“Stand aside, you silly girl … stand aside, now…” he said firmly pushing her to the floor. He looked at the baby with a malicious grin.

“Not Harry, please no, take me, kill me instead -”

Voldemort turned to her with a look of interest. “Kill you instead?” he chuckled.

“Not Harry! Please … have mercy … have mercy…” cried Lily as Voldemort opened his mouth and aimed his wand at Harry’s heart.

“Avada Kedavra!” he cried. Lily snapped her head towards her son; his innocent face looked up at Lily, his eyes questioned her. He reached his hand out to his mother; he wanted to hold her hand…

…She jumped. Nothing mattered, nothing but saving her son. It was the only thing she could do, the only thing she could think of.

This is for you, Harry.

The curse hit her and she screamed as a horrible, numbing pain twisted through her body. A flash of light blinded her eyes, and then all was black.

Lily Potter, wife and mother, was dead.

“James?” cried Lily, standing up and looking towards her body, which was lying spread-eagle on the floor, blood issuing from her mouth.

“Lily?” she heard her husband answer, she turned and saw him standing just beside her. In the distance, she could see a light.

“Are we ghosts, James? Can Harry see us?”

“No, he can’t see us. We’re not alive anymore, Lily. We have to go; we aren’t allowed to stay here.” James wrapped his arm around Lily’s shoulder. She looked longingly at her baby and watched unflinchingly as Voldemort’s curse hit the infant. The spell deflected off Harry and hit Voldemort, he vanished before their eyes and Harry began to cry “ a bloody scar was left on his forehead.

“You did that?” asked James. Lily nodded and James began to lead her away.

Lily glanced back at her son. “Remember, Harry, Mummy loves you,” whispered Lily as a tear fell from her eyes. With one last look at her son, she turned her head and disappeared with James.




(A/N: My first ever sad-ish fic. What d'you think? Sad? Not sad at all? Does it capture the moment, or maybe it's not how you imagined the last day of Lily and James Potter? Let me know what you think!)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=45734