Truths Unwritten by Astrid Skywalker
Summary: From the writer of Clair De Lune... Follow James, Lily, Sirius, Remus, and Peter through their seventh and final year at Hogwarts. Sinister schemes and crazed fiascoes ensue, and of course, who can resist a little romance? Rated 3rd-5th years for language.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 7934 Read: 6438 Published: 03/14/06 Updated: 07/12/06

1. Snow by Astrid Skywalker

2. To Be, Or Not To Be . . . A Hypocrite? by Astrid Skywalker

3. Ye Merrye Marauders by Astrid Skywalker

Snow by Astrid Skywalker
For Marie and Beth, my lovely J/L homegirls . . .

TRUTHS UNWRITTEN

Snow


Head and Prefects’ Lounge, 2:17 PM

A curtain of snowflakes obscured the Christmas-card scenery taking place outside the window. The glass pane felt stingingly icy against Lily Evans’s cheek, and she drew her face back slightly, watching as a small patch of fog covered the section where her skin had previously been. As she observed the chilly snowfall outside, she shivered and drew the comfy wool blanket tighter about her shoulders. It was Saturday, the weekend before the start of the January term, and being one of the four student leaders left at Hogwarts, she took advantage of the empty lounge. Her holiday term work was spread across two desks by the fireplace, and a huge stack of dog-eared volumes stood beside them. At present, she was curled up in an armchair, with her feet tucked beneath her. David Copperfield rested on her lap, and she sighed contentedly, sinking further into the soft cushions and turning back to the page she was reading.

It had been a quiet holiday. Most of the Hogwarts population had gone home to their families, and the school was quite deserted. From the Gryffindor lot, only six people in Lily’s year remained: her, James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew, and Susan Ross, a girl who shared Lily’s dormitory. She and Susan didn’t particularly get along, mostly because Susan tried to outdo her at everything, even if it was crystal clear that the only people who could match Lily’s brilliance at school were James and Sirius. It was ironic that two of the most notorious pranksters were also two of the most intelligent boys in their year, though Lily had gotten a tad used to them already. Four months of working with James in the Headship hadn’t been as hellish as she expected, even if she had to deal with his gang’s occasional pranks. She and James had had quite a harmonious partnership. Even though he still had that arrogant swagger about him, James had proven himself quite the responsible leader.

The wind howled eerily outside, causing Lily to glance up from her book once more. Silently wondering where James had gone again in such horrible weather, she closed her book and reached for the steaming mug of hot chocolate perched on the side table. Sirius had come to pick James up from the lounge when the snowfall started, bringing with him James’s cloak and gloves. At first, Lily had protested, though her efforts proved fruitless, as they always were when James and Sirius had concocted some sort of scheme. Then again, it wasn’t as if she was protesting very strongly.

Just then, the door swung open, revealing a very red-faced, very cold James Potter. He was covered head to toe in snow, and his messy black hair was standing on end and covered with frost. He was breathing heavily, and took great gulps of air as he stepped inside and closed the door.

Lily addressed him as if he showed up caked in snow everyday. “Where have you been?”

“Went outside”greenhouses”bloody hell it’s cold.” James’s teeth chattered noisily as he scampered to the hearth. Pulling his cloak off, he knelt before the flames and leaned forward slightly, allowing the heat to penetrate his icicle-like hair.

“And what did you do at the greenhouses?”

“Caught Snape and a bunch of Slytherin gits stealing Mandrake roots from greenhouse three.” James pulled his wand out and dried his clothes and himself off and turned to face Lily, who had a slightly dubious look on her face. “I swear! I took twenty points off Slytherin for it and informed McGonagall.”

Lily stared at him intently. “Why were they stealing Mandrake roots, of all things?”

“They’re for another one of Snape’s potions, probably.” James shrugged nonchalantly and he jumped, perfectly dry, onto the couch beside the chair Lily was sitting in. He pointed to Lily’s hot chocolate. “Where’d you get that?”

“There’s some over there, by the windowsill,” replied Lily, pointing to a huge silver jug beneath the opposite window. Like a dog who found his stick, James hurried towards the jug, hungry for more warmth. While he filled a huge mug with chocolate, Lily pelted him with more questions.

“How’d you know Snape was in the greenhouses?”

“Sirius, Peter, and I were building snowmen in the nearby courtyard.” Upon seeing Lily’s incredulous face, James added, “Hey, we saw that Muggle-born first year, Henry Green, doing it yesterday and we wanted to try it for ourselves. Mine ended up really ace, you should see it.” He lifted the mug to his lips and took a huge swig. “Anyway, we spied Snape and his gang enter through the back entrance, where Sprout usually goes.”

“Hmm . . . .” Lily stared off thoughtfully as her companion resumed his place on the couch. Swinging his legs onto the armrest, James said, “Look, Lily, it’s no big deal. Slytherin lost points and the idiots now have a weeklong detention with Slughorn. Stop fretting.”

“I just want to know what he’s up to.” It wasn’t the first time Snape tried to steal Professor Sprout’s plants for experimental potions purposes, and no matter how many times he got caught, he still pursued it.

James was eyeing her with an amused smile playing on his face. “I didn’t know Snape intrigued you so much, Lily. Breaks my heart to see your eyes on another.”

“Oh, ha ha.” Lily rolled her eyes and stood from her chair. “You are such an arrogant prick, you know that?”

“Yes, darling, you remind me everyday.”

Lily ignored him, something she wouldn’t have done two years ago. After working with James for a few months, she realized that lashing back would only make him more annoying. She had grown accustomed to his habitual flirtations and did not read much further into them to avoid further complexities. The whole school was gob smacked that Lily hadn’t protested against James’s position as Head Boy, moreover fought with him. James might’ve taken this as a positive turn of events, but she didn’t know.

She didn’t want to know.


~*~


The fire crackled merrily in the Gryffindor common room, emanating a soft golden glow on the red-embroidered furniture and the scarlet tapestries hanging on the walls. Sirius Black, handsome and charismatic, was sprawled on the hearth rug, clearly enjoying the comfortable warmth of the flames. Across him sat Peter Pettigrew, small, clumsy, but with quick wit and a sardonic sense of humour. Between them sat a chessboard with only five pieces playing: a white king and a pawn, and a black king, a rook, and a bishop.

Sirius yawned widely, “Get a move on, Wormtail. I’m bored.”

“You aren’t the one in danger here,” snapped Peter as he reached out a hand to trace where his white king could take refuge. Sirius’s pieces were tapping their feet, wearing looks akin to their player’s face.

“C’mon sonny, we don’t have all day!” the rook cried out in a squeaky voice.

Peter’s finger paused on a certain white square, and his king yelled, “Don’t send me there! His Holiness will have my head!”

Surely enough, the black bishop clutched his speared staff and grinned wickedly. Peter growled in frustration. Sirius closed his eyes and shifted to a more comfortable position, more than ready to fall asleep. Finally, Peter said, “King to G-4.”

The king moved one space backwards and rolled its eyes. “You brought me back here five times now. Is there nothing but fluff in that thick skull of yours?”

“You know what? Maybe I should just let you die if you’re being so goddamn snarky,” hissed Peter, and the chess piece stopped talking, but crossed its spindly arms and scowled.

“Bishop to C-7,” said Sirius lazily without even opening his eyes. “If you keep that up, Wormtail, you’re going to turn your whole army against you.” His bishop moved five spaces diagonally to the right and swiped Peter’s remaining pawn. The little pawn’s head flew off the board, and the bishop kicked the wriggling body out of the way and took its place.

Peter raised his hands in exasperation. “All right, I give up. You win.”

Sirius’s pieces looked at each other with identical devious grins, and all at once, they surrounded Peter’s king, who was shouting frantically. “You idiot! You let them take me! Help”help!

“Oh, sod off,” yawned Peter. He pushed the chessboard aside and straightened his podgy legs out before him. “Where did Moony go?”

“Said he wanted to go for a walk,” answered Sirius thickly. He stretched his lean figure across the floor and sat up. Running his fingers through his rather long black hair, he continued, “Do you still have that bottle of firewhiskey in your trunk?”

“Erm . . .” Peter shifted uncomfortably. “I”er””

Sirius narrowed his eyes at him and flung himself back onto the rug in resignation. “Wormtail, what the hell am I to do with you?”

Peter pulled a bulging pouch from his pocket and tipped its contents to the floor. Several brightly-coloured balls, much like Muggle marbles, rolled around on the varnished planks. “You could play Gobstones with me while you’re at it.”

Sirius growled.


~*~



The temperature dropped considerably that evening, and while the snow ceased to fall, the wind speed increased tenfold. Lily left James in the lounge with his long overdue homework and began the lengthy walk up to Gryffindor Tower. Frost clung to the surface of the windows, making them more ominous and chilling. Drawing her homemade shawl tighter around her shoulders, she trudged up the stairs leading from the fourth floor to the fifth, attempting desperately to ignore the wind’s sinister moans.

Try as she might, Lily had never appreciated winter. She hated the way she sank almost knee deep in the snow, and the multiple layers of clothing she had to wear. High winter boots irked her, and the icy cold caused her skin to dry up and crust at times. The idea of sliding down a steep hill on long wooden sticks didn’t appeal to her, especially after a nasty accident in her third year that resulted in a fractured thumb. Her list of why she despised this season could go on for miles, and her friends had heard it so many times that they grew accustomed to seeing the distasteful crease in her forehead whenever the sky expelled the jagged white shapes.

When she reached the fifth floor, she spotted a lone figure strolling down the corridor to the general direction of the library. The torches highlighted his soft, enigmatic features and suddenly, Lily decided to abandon her trip to the common room. Breaking into a jog, she called after the quiet youth, one Remus Lupin, who Lily considered to be her closest friend.

“Wait for me, won’t you?”

Remus Lupin paused and turned around slowly. A smile lit up his exhausted grey eyes and he waited until his redheaded friend caught up with him. “Not trying out for the Quidditch team, are we, Lily? Unless you suddenly went athletic on me and decided that lanky old nerds like me are unworthy of your attention.”

“Don’t be stupid, Remus.” Lily swatted his arm playfully, issuing a chuckle from him. “First of all, you aren’t lanky, and even if you were, I’d still find you very attractive in your new specs.” She winked, causing Remus to burst out laughing again, but there was no mistaking the reddish tint in his cheeks.

It was only in seventh year that Remus’s vision faltered slightly, and though he was required to wear his glasses twenty-four-seven, he only put them on during his and Lily’s regular study sessions in the library after school. When Lily initially questioned him about this, his only witty reply was, “Because I live in a dormitory with James and Sirius, who are particularly talented with Transfiguration, and James doesn’t need another clone.”

When they arrived at the library, Remus immediately started for their usual table, a small circular space near the Charms section. While Lily didn’t particularly know why Remus was in the library on a Saturday night, she followed him all the same. Alone time with Remus always meant catching up with each other’s live and long, intellectual discussions”things that Lily really devoted time to.

Remus helped her into her seat, and she smiled gratefully at him. He had always been a gentleman; he never faltered, not even when he was at his boiling point. He was always so polite and reserved that it was unbelievable that he was a member of the infamous Marauders. Only his three friends and Lily knew the delectable mischief that resided behind his passive visage. This, combined with his shrewd mind and courteous ways, was easily his best asset. As Remus settled into his own chair, Lily leaned forwards, propping her chin on her hand, and said, “So, Remus . . . what deliciously intriguing gossip can you share with me tonight?”

“I have no more gossip than real news, I’m afraid,” he smiled. “I spent most of my day reading in the common room, and unless ancient grindylow history interests you, I have nothing to share.”

“You and your creatures,” commented Lily. “Let me know when you’re announcing your engagement; I want to take part in that grand event.”

“Oh, come off it!” laughed Remus. “If there’s anyone talking about engagements, it should be you. James told me last night that you accepted his invitation to Slughorn’s Welcome Back party next week.”

Lily rolled her eyes. “I neither said ‘yes’ nor ‘no’, because I was planning to ask you. Maybe I should apologize for misleading him.”

Remus surveyed her amusedly, but his eyes held a tinge of embarrassment. He twisted a silver stocking ring on his thumb before saying, “There are a lot of guys who’d like to take you, Lily. Compared to them, I’m nothing special.”

“Have you gone bloody batty?” Lily grabbed both his hands firmly and stared at him, her green eyes flashing. “There isn’t a bloke in this school who can even compare to half of you. You’re my best friend, Remus. Don’t you forget that.”

This time, the redness in Remus’s cheeks became more pronounced, and he flushed even more when Lily kissed his hand fondly. “Your self-deprecation is alluring most of the time, but you should know when to do it.” She winked and Remus grinned, though rather nervously.

There was a moment’s silence, and then Lily propped her chin on her hand once more and eyed him amusedly. “I have gossip to share.”

“Oh, you do?” Remus imitated her position and raised an eyebrow. “Do tell.”

Lily leaned forwards slightly, feigning confidentiality. In a low whisper, she said, “Well, Julia Bennett from Ravenclaw broke up with Gideon Prewett over Christmas break”and,” she emphasized the last word to stop Remus from protesting, “I heard that your offer to take her to Hogsmeade again still stands.”

“You know damn well that Gideon won’t let her go,” hissed Remus, although there was no mistaking the little ray of hope that was now present in his eyes. Remus had actually caught the vivacious Ravenclaw’s attention first, but because his lycanthropy fell on the day of their first date, he had to cancel, and Gideon made his move, much to Lily’s fury.

Lily narrowed her eyes. “He will if you go and talk to her before the rest of the student body comes back. Julia is at Hogwarts, remember? She broke it off with Gideon via owl post.”

Remus sighed heavily and leaned back in his seat, his gaze directed at nothing in particular. Lily observed him plaintively. Remus’s lycanthropy had given him the burning desire to be accepted by everyone, even if that meant getting trampled on in the process. Because of his fear of being shunned, he deprived himself of friends and lovers he could otherwise easily get. Lily was adamant. This would not happen, not in their last year of Hogwarts.

“Remus, listen,” she said with her trademark tone that always commanded attentiveness from her audience. “If I go with James to Sluggy’s party, will you take Julia?”

“What?” Remus looked at her incredulously. “Lily, you can’t be serious!”

“Oh, I am,” stated Lily firmly. She paused, just for a moment, to consider what she was getting herself into. She was sacrificing her evening’s enjoyment for Remus’s chance with the girl of his dreams. ‘One night with James won’t hurt,’ she decided finally. “If I agree to go with James, will you promise me you’ll ask Julia to the party?”

Remus stammered, “I”well”yes”but Lily . . .”

“It’s settled then.” Lily folded her arms across her chest and beamed at him. “You won’t be sorry, Remus.”

“I’m not sorry for myself; I’m sorry for you.” Remus straightened up and gave her an oh-so-familiar stare that made her feel that he was looking right through her. “Are you absolutely sure you want to go with James?”

Lily cringed before answering, “Yes.”
To Be, Or Not To Be . . . A Hypocrite? by Astrid Skywalker
For Natasha Johnson . . .

To Be, Or Not To Be . . . A Hypocrite?



On Sunday morning, the violent blizzard left Hogwarts covered in a glistening blanket of snow. As Lily peeked out of her dormitory window, she spotted several students trudging through the icy depths in their black cloaks and multicoloured scarves. She shuddered involuntarily. The very idea of having wet coldness pressing against her body disgusted her. She was definitely staying inside again today. Besides, she had more pressing matters to deal with.

After a healthy stretch, she sidled out of her four-poster just in time to see Susan Ross emerge from the bathroom. The tall and gangly brunette had a towel wrapped around her head and wore her trademark smirk when she spotted Lily looking at her. “Eager to start a new term, are you, Evans?”

“Well, I’m probably not as eager as you are, dear, seeing as you’re positively bouncing off the walls with excitement,” said Lily simply as she pulled her long red hair into a bun. Keen on avoiding another egotistical conversation (she had enough of that with James), she quickly gathered her clothes and headed into the washroom.

Twenty minutes later, she was dressed and ready to go. She stood in front of the full-length mirror for one last check, and was absolutely horrified to discover a very red, very painful spot just above her left eyebrow.

“No!” she groaned, leaning forwards to inspect it more carefully. “Not before start-of-term”argh!” Flinching at the burst of pain as she touched it gently, she released another growl of frustration. She pulled her wand from her skirt pocket and pointed at the offensive pimple, ready to curse it off, when she stopped. She eyed her reflection for a moment and then, with a sigh of resignation, she tucked her wand away again.

“Not worth losing an eye over.” Resolutely, she straightened her sweater and started for the staircase. There was a small buzz of chatter in the common room, and when she reached the bottom step, she spotted James, Remus, a group of second years, and a couple of fifth years lounging by the fire. James, whose round eyeglasses were perched on top of his head, grinned and waved at her. She smiled back and headed towards him.

“Good morning, gentlemen,” she greeted them, immediately flumping into the space next to Remus on the double-seat couch.

“Hey Lily.” James acknowledged her with a smile, but then directed his attention to the essay he was writing. Lily surveyed the scene. James’s sleeves were rolled up and some of his fingers were ink-stained”signs that he had been finishing his homework early this morning. Remus, on the other hand, had an Arithmancy book open on his lap, but he wasn’t reading. He was watching James with a slightly bored expression, as if waiting for the latter to say or ask him something. Lily bent forwards to look at the title of James’s essay: The Ancient Roman Arithmancy Symbols and Their Corresponding Connotations.

Rolling her eyes, she reached up to whisper in Remus’s ear, “Playing tutor again?”

“In a way,” replied Remus, running his fingers through his sandy blond hair. “He’s finished seven of the nine essays due tomorrow without my help. That’s a feat within itself, I reckon.”

“So, Lily,” said James loudly, breaking up their conversation. He stared at her intently, his hazel eyes more recognizable without the reflective barrier of his glasses. “Are we all set to go to Sluggy’s party?”

“I believe so,” answered Lily casually as she fingered her charm bracelet. “If you can guarantee that you’ll have all your homework and Quidditch practice finished by then, I can’t see any reason why we can’t go.”

An impish grin spread on James’s face as he added a few more sentences to his essay. “Your obvious faith in me is touching. They won’t assign us any homework this week, you wait and see.”

“James, we’re in our seventh year. I assure you, they will.”

James shrugged this comment off nonchalantly and replaced his glasses on the bridge of his nose. There were another few moments of silence as he wrote until the very end of the parchment. Both Lily and Remus were drifting away in their own worlds, undoubtedly thinking about the same thing: Slughorn’s Party. It didn’t help that James was so eager, so excited about lily finally agreeing to accompany him to any event alone. Lily was anxious. She couldn’t help but think about the numerous things that could happen, whether they were appealing or not. The apprehension threatened to stir her resolve, but she held her ground.

Stealing a sidelong glance at the bespectacled young man before her, she weighed the chances of him doing something stupid. He had never tried to kiss her before; nor had he tried to get her alone in a broom closet or any other location that Hogwarts couples frequented. Yet, there was no telling what he could do, especially with his best friend, Sirius Black, present at the party. Who knew what diabolical scheme they could come up with? Then, another question hit her. Would he really take advantage of me?

Her thoughts were interrupted by James noisily rolling up his finished essay. He tossed the parchment into his bag and pulled out a fresh piece, and then leaned forward to address Remus. “Who are you going to Sluggy’s party with?”

Remus looked at him for a while before responding, “I’m asking Julia Bennett out today.”

“Oh, you are?” James raised his eyebrows slightly, his eyes darting from Remus to Lily. “Why the sudden change of mind?”

“Apparently, Lily said ‘yes’ to you first, didn’t she?” replied Remus lazily as he closed the book in his lap and stretched. Afterwards, he stood and brushed the dust off his pants. “I’m going to see if I can find her. See you both later.” He nodded at James and smiled at Lily, before heading out of the common room.

Lily and James were left alone, but the latter didn’t strike up any conversation as he normally did when given such an opportunity. Instead, he was concentrating on his Potions textbook, looking up the various uses of unicorn horns. Lily inwardly marvelled at how hard he studied when he had his heart in the right place. James didn’t have the best study habits, but when he was intent on getting his lessons done, he would, and he’d pass with flying colours. James had a brilliant mind, and Lily never doubted that. She just often wondered why he chose to use his brilliance in less than respectable ways sometimes.

Sighing, she stood up and said, “I’m going to grab a bite to eat, James. I’ll see you later.”

“Take care, Lily,” he murmured distractedly as he furiously wrote on his parchment. Lily allowed herself a small smile before turning around and leaving Gryffindor Tower.


~*~


Later that day, with all his homework done, James met up with Sirius, Remus, and Peter in the entrance hall. Remus had just informed them that Julia agreed to accompany him to the party, and he looked very pleased indeed. Sirius leaned against the wall with his heel casually propped up behind him, smiling amusedly. Peter poked Remus in the ribs and exchanged a knowing glance with James. James returned it with a roguish wink. The Marauders were known for tricking not only other people, but also themselves. And Mr. Moony has just presented himself as their new victim.

Making a mental note to talk to Sirius about their new prank later in their dormitory, James spotted a group of green-and-black clad students emerging from the doorway leading to the dungeons. His eyes narrowed automatically. Seeing the change in his visage, the others followed his gaze.

“Still strutting around, is he? The greasy slime ball,” spat Sirius hatefully. The boy Sirius was referring to, Severus Snape, paused and turned to whisper something in another boy’s ear”one who bore a striking resemblance to Sirius.

“I thought the Hogwarts Express wasn’t arriving until later tonight,” remarked Peter, looking at Sirius in askance.

Sirius’s eyes glittered with fury. “I thought so too.”

James saw the muscles in Sirius’s forearm tense as he gripped something inside his robes. “Padfoot . . .” he began, but Sirius was already a quarter of the way down the hall in the general direction of the Slytherins.

“Goddamnit,” hissed James, and he sprinted after his best friend. “Padfoot! Padfoot, get back here.” He looked behind him briefly to ask for Remus’s help, but his two other companions had followed him as well.

“Regulus!” shouted Sirius as he advanced towards the six or seven students huddled together. The smallest of the lot, a fifth year with Sirius’s black hair and grey eyes, but with a thinner face and longer nose, whirled around at the sound of his name. The boys around him glared spitefully as Sirius neared them.

James skidded to a stop, allowing Remus and Peter to go on ahead of him. He stared at the duel about to unfold, and for the first time in his life, James Potter hesitated. Maybe I should go get Lily . . . . This sudden thought startled him. He had never considered calling Lily before, not when it involved his friends and the Slytherins. He had always been able to either keep his friends in check, or keep the duel under wraps, but they were in the entrance hall. Even Hagrid would be able to hear them from his hut.

Suddenly, there was a dazzling blast of light from Sirius’s end, and several of the Slytherin boys crashed into the opposite wall. Shouts of curse words and hexes mingled with the audible zing! of the spells, creating a deafening din. James gripped his wand tightly, strengthening his resolve. He ran towards the manic exchange of hexes, not to join in, but to attempt to stop it.

Before he could even yell out a word, a particularly strong spell hit him square in the chest and sent him flying across the marble floor. A crowd of students had gathered at the scene, eagerly watching for the outcome of the duel. James was sprawled on his back, the area where the curse hit him throbbing in pain. Just then, someone knelt down by his side and a familiar voice spoke,

“James”James, are you all right? Can you hear me?”

James’s eyes threatened to pop out of his head as the pain gradually sneaked up his neck. “Lily?” he managed. He couldn’t breathe; something was pushing against his windpipe, depriving him of air.

“I’ve called McGonagall,” said Lily, as she waved her wand on top of his chest. The pressure in his neck slowly decreased, and he gasped for air. Slowly and painfully, he sat up, only to see a look of complete disgust on Lily’s face. She helped him to his feet and tucked her wand inside her robes, glaring all the while at the brawling students just a short distance away.

Suddenly, there was a loud, ear-piercing bang, and the three Marauders and the group of Slytherins all zoomed to a particular spot on the wall, where the hung spread-eagled on the cool marble. The student body burst into laughter at the comedic sight, but the intimidating figure of Professor McGonagall descended the stairs, causing the students to fall silent.

James watched her guardedly, already anticipating what was about to happen. McGonagall paused at the foot of the stairs. A look of unimaginable anger was on the deputy headmistress’s face; James had never seen her mouth so thin. Everyone waited with bated breath for what she was about to say.

After a few agonizing moments, she spoke, “Detention.” Her voice was sharp like a whip. “All of you.” Her eyes swept over the eight boys”three Gryffindors and five Slytherins. “And you.” She stared directly at James, her nostrils flaring. “I expected better from you, Potter, but apparently, ‘Head Boy’ doesn’t suit you.”

“Professor, please,” began Lily, but McGonagall cut her off.

“Not now, Miss Evans.”

“Professor, I assure you James didn’t take part in the duel,” Lily pressed on. “He wanted to stop it, but he was hit by a Tracheal Hex. He wouldn’t have been able to join even if he wanted to. Which I hope he didn’t . . .” She turned to narrow her eyes at James. “. . . because then I have to apologize and let him step down.”

McGonagall gazed at James sternly. “Is that true, Potter?”

“Yes, Professor,” James managed to say amidst his surprise and confusion. Of course, there were other instances where he didn’t participate in any ruckus with the rest of the Marauders, but it was the first time that Lily had ever stood up for him. Usually, she sided with the administration, no matter how much he tried to dissuade her from doing so. The deputy headmistress eyed them both suspiciously, probably wondering if James had cast the Imperius Curse on Lily. It was indeed an unusual situation, especially considering the two Heads’ history, but the professor’s trust in Lily prevailed.

“Very well,” she huffed and turned to the other boys. “Twenty points apiece from each of your Houses, and detention for two weeks.” After rendering them all with another particularly frightening glare, she flicked her wand so that the eight students were released from their magical bindings, and turned to climb back up the stairs.

After a thorough exchange of dirty looks, the Gryffindors and Slytherins separated, and Sirius, Remus, and Peter joined the pair by the stairs. Lily rounded on them at once.

“Congratulations boys, you just lost Gryffindor sixty points,” she fumed.

“Thank you, love. We couldn’t have done it without you,” retorted Sirius. “No thanks to James, of course.” He shot a steely glare in his best friend’s direction; James easily recognized Sirius’s admittedly superb acting skills. If there was anything Sirius loved more than long, drawn-out detentions, it was inducing drama.

Remus was talking quietly to Lily when Sirius yanked him roughly away. “No fraternizing with the enemy, Remus, you know better than that.” He completed his act with a very condescending look at Lily, and a commanding “Let’s go, lads. There’s nothing more to see here except law-abiding sods.” He then led the two boys away, but not before he flashed a furtive wink at James.

James fought the urge to laugh out loud; he had more pressing matters on his mind. Turning slowly towards to the girl beside him, he started, “Lily . . .” just as she uttered, “James . . . .”

They looked at each other for a moment; again, James tried hard to fight the laughter rising in his throat. The look on Lily’s face wasn’t of one who was amused. Clearing his throat, he continued, “I”thank you. That was very nice of you.”

“Aren’t you the least bit resentful that you don’t have detention?” Lily folded her arms across her chest and raised an eyebrow at him.

James smirked. “If I said I wasn’t, you’ll forever think of me as a bloody hypocrite.”

Lily stared at him for a fleeting second, before she rolled her eyes and started up the stairs. Grinning broadly, James followed her, eagerly looking forward to an amusing banter in the Head’s Lounge about whether he was a hypocrite or not.
Ye Merrye Marauders by Astrid Skywalker
Author's Notes:
For Cinderella Angelina, my awesome writing buddy!
Ye Merrye Marauders




It was a boys’ dormitory indeed.

Random pieces of clothing were strewn haphazardly on the floor, bedposts, and chairs. A small red, black, and gold top spun in a corner, emitting a soft whirring noise. The scarlet hangings on one of the four-posters were half torn off the wooden beam (some of the frayed threads showed signs of singeing), and the whole room was filled with the sounds of muffled snores.

In the four-poster to the far right, next to the window, James slept peacefully. He was lying on his back, his blankets gathered at his waist, both his arms lying on either side of his head. In the next bed was Sirius, who was lying spread-eagled with one foot hanging off the edge of his mattress. He had completely wriggled free of his blankets, which would have otherwise covered his red and black paw-print boxers. Remus was lying on his side, one arm draped over the pillow next to him, his hair falling over his eyes. In the very last bed nearest the bathroom, Peter stirred and shifted into a foetal position, a trickle of saliva running down the side of his mouth. None of them awoke to the glistening sunlight filtering through the cracks of frost in the windows and the increasing bustle of activity in the common room.

Just then, James’s face scrunched up, as if he had seen something utterly disgusting in his subconscious, and he rolled over onto his side. His arm came out and hit the glass of water on his side table, knocking it over. The glass toppled and the water splashed out, some flecks hitting Sirius’s face. Sirius grunted and wiped his face with his hands in annoyance. Groggily, he propped himself up on one elbow and looked around with half-open eyes, trying to gauge what had rudely woken him up. When he spotted the steady dripping of the water on James’s side table, he growled in irritation and flung a heavy pillow at the other boy.

James woke up with a start. “Oi!” he said thickly, rubbing his eyes. When he spotted Sirius’s pillow lying across him, he glared at his companion. “What’re you on about?”

“You woke me up, you stupid arsehole.” Sirius ran his fingers through his thick black hair and met James’s contemptuous stare with his own annoyed one. James rolled his eyes and flung himself back onto the bed.

“The hell I did. I’m not the one with stupid delusions.”

Sirius narrowed his eyes and, stowing his wand into his bedside drawer, he flung a second pillow at James, which hit the other boy painfully on the side of his head. James yelped in surprise. Growling, he sat up, grabbed both pillows that were lying across him, and started for Sirius. Sensing danger, Sirius tugged at the next available weapon: Remus’s pillow. He yanked it from beneath the blond’s head and shielded himself from James’s assault just in time. Remus’s head hit the mattress, and he jerked awake.

“What’s going o”?”

James delivered a particularly violent blow that knocked Sirius onto Remus’s stomach, cutting the poor lad off in mid-sentence. Peter had awoken as well, and presently held a pillow high above his head. Sirius spotted him, and yelled frantically, “Wormtail, NO!”

Both parties attacked at the same time”James’s on his groin, Peter’s squarely on his face. Remus grunted as Sirius’s weight pressed further into his middle. I did not need this as a wake-up call, he thought miserably.

“Fucking sods!” shouted Sirius, and finally, he leapt to his feet and delivered a series of blows to James. A shower of feathers filled the room and littered the floor, making an incredible mess. After taking a while to allow the pain in his stomach to subside, Remus grabbed his pillow and joined in the frenzy, unable to resist.

Half an hour later, when all the feathers in the pillows had flown about the room, when the four Marauders were panting and lying breathless on the floor, there can a knock on their dormitory door.

“Grab it,” managed James, poking Sirius in the ribs.

“No, you grab it,” snapped Sirius, flinging his empty pillowcase at the bespectacled prankster.

I’ll get it,” Remus rolled his eyes and pulled himself to his feet.

“Ahh, brave soul, Moony!”

Kicking the feathers as he went, Remus made his way to the door and pulled it open. There stood Lily, fully dressed in her weekend clothes, with her hair pulled up in a high ponytail. Her gaze rested on the mess inside the dormitory and gasped.

“What the hell happened here?” she demanded.

At the sound of Lily’s voice, James stood up and hurried to the door, completely unaware that his pyjama top was unbuttoned and hanging loosely on his torso.

“I . . . er . . .” began Remus, but James cut him off.

“Lily! How very corking to see you this lovely morning,” he said brightly.

“Indeed.” Lily eyed him from head to toe, the look on her face unreadable. “Professor McGonagall wants us both in her office at 11:00. Get dressed.” Before James could utter another word, she turned on her heel and left.

Sirius whistled. “Talk about nasty. I don’t know about you, Prongs, but I wouldn’t want to live under the same roof as that vicious snapdragon.” James ignored him and waded his way across the room to his closet.

“Of course, Lily could be a snapdragon in other ways,” piped Peter, a lecherous grin forming on his face. “A girl who can talk like that surely can move like that.”

“Ahh, now you’re talking my language, Wormtail!” chuckled Sirius. He propped himself on his elbows and amusedly eyed James, who was pulling a jumper over his head. “What do you think, Prongs? Think Evans will show her wild side at Sluggy’s party tonight?”

“Not likely to you, but you can dream, can’t you, Padfoot?” James shot back, running his fingers through his hair in front of the mirror hanging on Sirius’s closet door.

Remus snickered. “Of course he can, while he’s sleeping next to Olivia Brampton in a secluded broom closet somewhere.”

“Oi! I’m not sleeping with a psychopathic stalker, thank you very much!”

“Right, lads, I’m off to see Aunty Minerva,” announced James, with an air of talking about his favourite godmother. “See you all later!” He crossed the room and did a rather exaggerated bow before exiting the dormitory.


~*~



Horace Slughorn’s parties were elaborate and often highly crafted to suit the student elite of Hogwarts”at least, those with family members famous enough to be admired by the vainglorious Professor Slughorn. And then, there were the talented select few who were fortunate”or unfortunate”enough to be initiated into the Slug Club. While Lily counted for the latter, James was recognized for both reasons, and although James’s Uncle Vincent, a famous Auror who assisted in the war against Grindelwald, admired Slughorn, the teenage boy loathed the short and plump velvet-clad professor. Admittedly, he only tolerated these parties because Sirius, Remus, and Lily shared his inevitable burden.

Tonight, at least, McGonagall gave the Heads the responsibility of supervising student activity, as Slughorn was often unreliable in that aspect. He was always off somewhere, talking to famous witches and wizards who cared enough about him to come. James leaned casually against the punch table, while his eyes roamed the room. Beside him, Lily did the same, although her gaze often settled on Remus and Julia, who were conversing in a corner. Every so often, her lips would turn up into a smile, as if congratulating herself on a successful matchmaking venture. In another corner of the room, Sirius stood with the Prewett brothers. Olivia Brampton was lingering close by.

“I don’t see Snape anywhere,” commented Lily as she scanned the room. “Sirius’s brother is here, though . . .”

“Snape hasn’t attended another Slug Party ever since Sirius replaced his teacup with a cup from Zonko’s,” answered James matter-of-factly after taking another swig from his drink.

“Hmm . . .” Lily’s face darkened slightly, and she craned her neck to look up at him. “I’m surprised you aren’t over there plotting something malicious.”

James raised an eyebrow at her. “I do follow instructions, you know?” He turned and refilled his glass, but said no more after that. Lily studied his face intently. Surely he wasn’t offended by that?

“Well, I’m just used to seeing you with Sirius all the time, that’s all.” She had no idea why she was attempting to cover up a non-existent mistake, but she couldn’t ignore the little pool of guilt that formed in her stomach when James fell silent all of a sudden.

James looked at her from the corner of his eye and smiled. “I came here with you as my date, not Sirius. In fact, if I came with Sirius, that would’ve aroused some sort of controversy, no?”

Lily burst out laughing. “Well, you two practically have a relationship already anyway.” She grinned mischievously at him.

James glanced over his shoulder at Sirius. “We do, don’t we? So you wouldn’t mind if I went over there and snogged him senseless?” He winked as he poured another glass of punch and handed it to her.

“Wouldn’t put it past you.” Lily accepted the glass gratefully and took a small sip.

“Ehh . . . Sirius isn’t my type. Now, Remus on the other hand . . .”

“Hey!” Lily slapped his arm. “I forbid you to have any lustful thoughts about my best friend.”

James burst out laughing. “Julia beat me to it, anyway.” He pointed. Lily followed the direction of his arm. Remus and Julia were weaving their way towards the exit, their hands tightly intertwined. Lily’s mouth fell open as she watched. Her eyes never left the couple until the finally disappeared out the thick oak door. James whistled.

“Three guesses which broom closet they’re heading for,” he remarked, his face also bearing a look of pleasant surprise. Lily’s mouth remained open for about a split-second more, and then she started for the door, dragging James along with her.

“Oi! Where are we going?”

“I just want to see . . .”

“Lily!” James tripped over someone’s foot, which allowed Lily to pull him more easily. Some students watched them curiously, probably wondering why Lily Evans was yanking James Potter towards the exit. “What are you, some kind of creepy stalker now?”

“Shush!” chided Lily as they reached the empty corridor, the loud chatter in the party a mere soft buzzing noise now. Some distance away, she could spy two figures disappearing around a darkened corner. Her conscience screamed at her to turn around, but her curiosity always got the better of her. James had fallen silent behind her as they quietly followed, most likely eager to spy on his friend as well.

The next hallway was very dimly-lit, making it nearly impossible to walk through without any light source. Lily slowed down to a soft tip-toe, her hand firmly grasping James’s, ready to run in the other direction if they ever ran into their prey. It was eerily quiet, and just when Lily wondered if they had chosen the right corridor, her foot came in contact with a bump on the floor.

“Ouch!” yelped a voice, which was unmistakably Remus’s.

Oh, shit. “Go!” she whispered fiercely at James, who quickly bolted in the opposite direction. They must have covered at least ten or fifteen yards before a wand tip light shone from Remus’s end. James tugged her into the nearest empty classroom, and they squeezed together behind the door, making the least noise possible.

Because of the cramped space, Lily found herself having the most physical contact she has ever had with any male in her life. She was pressed very firmly against James’s chest, and one of his arms was wrapped rather tightly around her shoulders. Both of them were breathing rapidly, undoubtedly keyed up by their little adventure.

“You are crazy, you know that?” whispered James, his mouth surprisingly close to her ear. “You are insane.”

Lily ignored him as she watched as the light in the corridor slowly darkened. When it finally disappeared altogether, she released a huge sigh of relief and rested her forehead against James’s shoulder.

“That was close,” she murmured, a slight giggle escaping her lips towards the end of her sentence.

“You”you are mental, absolutely mental,” breathed James, although his tone was slightly different from what he used previously.

Lily raised her head to look at him, although she could barely see anything through the darkness. She could only make out the faint outline of his glasses, which looked unnaturally large for some strange reason.

“Tell me something I don’t know,” she said, a rather coy smile playing on her lips. Indeed, it was impulsive on her part to tail Remus and Julia, but it was a fun chase nonetheless. James was silent, but she could feel his hand rubbing her upper back gently. She felt rather awkward, yet . . . comforted by this tender ministration. Turning her head slightly, she felt her nose bump into James’s, and with a start she realized that their faces were very close . . . too close. The adrenaline in her body pumped yet again, and before her actions preceded her thoughts, she slowly pulled herself free of James’s embrace.

“We have to go back,” she managed. Without another word, she turned and left the classroom.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=46705