Sirius and the Search for the Hidden Talent by Hermione89
Summary: Harry's youngest son is venturing off to Hogwarts for the his first year.
Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 2957 Read: 1274 Published: 03/16/06 Updated: 03/16/06

1. Sirius and the Search for the Hidden Talent by Hermione89

Sirius and the Search for the Hidden Talent by Hermione89
Sirius frowned at his image in the mirror. He patted down his wild orange hair but it refused to remain neat. He rubbed at his freckles as if trying to erase them. It was no use; he was just going to have to give into the fact that he was a gawky nerd. It wasn’t fair! James and Lily, his older siblings, had the brains and talent in the family so why must they take all the beauty too? James was tall with dark hair that fell just right. His emerald eyes seemed to sparkle while Lily’s seemed almost catlike; perfectly accenting her mane of deep orange locks.

Sirius sighed as he turned away from his reflection and headed down the stairs to the foyer where his family was waiting. They were about to head off to the train station to meet the Hogwarts Express, the train that was going to be taking Sirius, James, and Lily to Hogwarts; a boarding school for wizards and witches. Sirius would be starting his first year at Hogwarts and he was very nervous. He had a lot to live up to for all of his cousins went to Hogwarts and they were all famous there, for one reason or another.

His cousins Drake and Muriel had both been Head Boy and Head Girl there, a position that came with a lot of honor. Iris had been a prefect and the smartest girl in her year. Albus was currently attending Hogwarts and was a Prefect, as Lily was. James was Quidditch captain (Quidditch was a wizard sport that involved broomsticks). Jack and Diane were famed troublemakers. His little cousin Rose was so jealous of him because he was old enough to go to Hogwarts, but for all he cared she could go in his place, he would much rather stay home.

To make matters worse, his parents were super famous and even had books written about them! They were both Aurors (wizards who put dark wizards behind bars) and his father, Harry, had killed the Dark Lord.

In Sirius’ eyes he did not fit into his family. He was not brilliant or talented. He was plain and boring, mediocre at best.

If not for his messy crop of orange hair Sirius could’ve sworn he was adopted.

Sirius walked down the aisle of the train hoping to get a seat. James had ditched him as soon as they got on the train to sit with his friends, Norbert Hagrid and Cedric Davis. Lily was chatting endlessly with Leah Jordan, a black girl with long dark curls.

“You can sit here if you’d like”

Sirius smiled gratefully at the small boy sitting huddled in the corner alone in the train compartment.

“Thanks I’m Sirius Potter.”

“Trevor Longbottem.”

“Oh I know you, your dad’s friends with mine. Isn’t he that famed Herbolgist who discovered a cure for those put under the Crucitus Curse?”

“Yup that’s me” said Trevor glumly. Sirius recognized that tone all to well and it wasn’t one of pride. “And my brother Frank is this year’s head boy. Alice, my sister will probably be too when she gets to year seven, probably also my little sister Cassie. She’s only seven, but she’s a genius, I on the other hand, am not” he hung his head sadly.
“I know exactly how you feel” grinned Sirius.

Their conversation was interrupted by a pretty girl with striking black hair. She introduced herself as Hermione Krum. Sirius felt the butterflies in his stomach disappearing as he settled down with his newfound friends.

The butterflies came back with full force when after they arrived at Hogwarts Sirius, along with the rest of the first years was herded into the great hall to start the sorting.
“Good day, first years. I am Professor Lupin, Head of Gryffindor House. Each one of you will be sorted into Huffelpuff, Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, or Slytherin. Listen closely as the sorting hat describes each house to you.”

The wizened old Sorting Hat started to sing:

“Listen closely and you will hear
A tale of four friends close and dear.
Godric Gryffindor, the great,
Helga Huffelpuff, his mate,
Salazar Slytherin who of dark arts he was fond,
Rowena Ravenclaw. All four had a special bond.
About which students to accept
Apart they were set.
Gryffindor wanted those who were brave.
Slytherin had his heart set on those who about the Dark Arts they would rave.
Ravenclaw, the astute, would only accept those with sharp brains and wit
While Huffelpuff thought all types of students would fit.
And so they started one school with separate houses of four
And into their school students of magic began to pour.”


As the hat sang Sirius felt his stomach go queasy. For as long as he could remember, the Potters and the Weaslys (his mother’s side of the family) had been in Gryffindor, the house that was known for bravery and courage. Now he, Sirius, would break the chain and be placed in Huffelpuff!

The first person whose name was called was Bart Clearwater. Sirius’ ears perked up in recognition of the name. That was the son of his estranged uncle Percy who nobody spoke about!

He was shocked when the hat called out “Slytherin”, no witch or wizard came out of Slythrin wasn’t a dark wizard! Oh well, at least now there would be bigger news in his family other than the fact that he was about to be sorted into Huffelpuff.

Hermione and Trevor were both sorted into Gryffindor. After a lot of people were sorted into “Huffelpuff!”, “Ravenclaw!”, “Gryffindor!”, and “Slytherin!” Sirius realized that it was his turn.

Sirius nervously and carefully set himself upon the stool and placed the Sorting Hat upon his head.

“Aha!” cried the hat. “I see determination in you, but what’s that? Uncertainty? Self consciousness? You think you belong in Huffelpuff? Oh but you wish not to be placed there? So then perhaps as your family before you you’ll do well in GRYFFINDOR!”

At first Sirius could not comprehend what had just happened. When he looked up he saw his family and newfound friends cheering from the Gryffindor table. He happily bounded over to greet them. He came to the realization of what just had occurred just as the hat began to sort Zeke Smith.

After all the first years were sorted and everyone had settled down, Headmistress McGonagall stood up to speak. Immediately out of respect the entire dining room was silent.
“Welcome first years and welcome back everyone else” she began. “Before we begin eating I have some rules that I need to review with you. There will be no venturing into the Dark Forest alone, nor may any students go out of their common rooms after curfew. Anyone who breaks school rules will have detention with our custodian, Dobby, and knit a sock.” A small little house elf grinned wildly and waved to the school which caused everyone to laugh and clap.

McGonagall gave a curt nod to the students and said “that will be all, it is time to eat.”

Immediately after those words were said masses of food appeared on plates that were lined up in straight rows in the middle of every table.

“Hi” a small girl with dirty blond hair greeted Sirius excitedly in an extraordinarily high pitched voice. “I’m Merry Creevy. Merry is short for Miranda.”

That comment seemed to break the ice for everyone and before Sirius knew it everyone was getting to know each other. The other Gryffindor first years were Gary Thomas; a quiet black boy, Harry Mclaggen; an annoying scrawny kid, Goodwin Wood (he caused quite a commotion for his father was a famous quidditch player), Artemis Creevy who was Merry’s cousin, a plain looking girl named Myrtle Flinch - Flenchly, and Scarlet Finnegan whose twin sisters Violet and Amber were in Neville’s sister’s year.

After they were herded upstairs to their common room they all sat and chatted with each other. Sirius got along well with all of the other Gryffindor first years yet he felt closest to Trevor and Hermione. By the time it was time for bed Sirius had almost forgotten about his insecurities and worries.

The next morning Sirius was eating breakfast and chatting with Trevor and Hermione when James came up to him. Sirius looked up at him, surprised. He hadn’t spoken to either of his siblings since they had arrived at school.

“ Hey Sirius” said James “ Quidditch tryouts are after lunch and there are two open spaces since Kenneth Wood and Andy Lupin graduated last year.”

“I’m not trying out.” Replied Sirius quietly.

“What?! Why?” James asked shocked.

“I don’t want to be compared to you or Lily, so I am going to try to see if there is something else I can excel in.”
James shook his head in disbelief, not understanding, as he walked away.

“I understand how you feel” said Trevor “that’s why I’m not trying out for the D.A, I would feel really embarrassed messing up a spell in front of Frank, Alice, and their friends.”

The D.A was an elite cub that practiced higher level spells. Frank, Alice, Cam Creevy, Amelia and Ethan Goldstein, Felicity and Grayer McMillan were all members of it, for they were perfect students and very popular. Sirius was comforted in the fact that he and Trevor were able to relate to each other.

“Well, can you guys come with me to Quidditch tryouts even if you don’t want to tryout?” asked Hermione.

“Sure, but why?” replied Sirius.

“Oh, I was thinking of trying out.”

The boys looked at her surprised; she had never expressed any interest in the sport before this.

By the time lunch came around Sirius was in tears and on the verge of a nervous breakdown. School was just as he expected it to be but worse. By every class the teachers seemed so excited to hear that Sirius was a Potter. But once the class actually started and it was apparent that Sirius wasn’t as brilliant as the rest of his family, he felt that they disregarded him. To make matters worse, when Sirius was tying his shoe in the halls, he over heard a dreadful conversation. Tom Malfoy was talking quite dramatically with Caitlin Flint, Madeline Corner, and Sirius’ own cousin Bart. Tom was explaining how he was all nervous to hear that there was a Potter and a Longbottem in their year, because then Slytherin wouldn’t have a chance at wining the House Cup (a trophy awarded to the best house at the end of the year)however after seeing Trevor and Sirius in action he didn’t have to worry anymore.

When Hermione heard this she was upset that Tom would say such a thing but told Sirius reassuringly “Don’t worry, he was just jealous and besides you’ll find something you are good at, don’t worry.”

Sirius couldn’t imagine why Tom would be jealous of him but he just shrugged and nodded. “Hermione doesn’t understand.” He thought to himself as they walked to the Quidditch field. But how could she? She was brilliant, her nose was always in a book, and she was an only child.

James grinned when he saw Sirius at the tryouts “You changed your mind after all? I knew you would!”

“Umm, actually I didn’t.” stuttered Sirius. “I’m not trying out, Hermione is, I’m just here for moral support.”

Hermione wasn’t the only Gryffindor first year trying out. Scarlet, Gary, Harry and Goodwin were already there squirming nervously waiting for their turn. The team currently consisted of James, Lily, Diana, Jack, and Cedric.

Harry went first. His flying was sloppy and his
grasp of the game was not much better. Scarlet went next and although she was better than Harry she wasn’t very good. Every time the ball came toward her she fumbled and giggled nervously. Gary was far better than the other two but in comparison to the actual team his playing was just average. Sirius knew that he was better than all of them and thought about trying out after all but he quickly shook the thought out of his head. Goodwin was actually a decent player, this was not such a surprise due to his heritage, and it was becoming clear that he was going to end up with one of the spots on the team. The question was who would get the other spot? Some students who were older than Sirius tried out, but it was obvious as to why they had not made it on to the team the previous years.

James was looking tired and weary. “Who’s next?” he called halfheartedly.

“That would be me” Hermione stood up and grinned at Sirius and Trevor as she mounted her broom.

For the next few moments the boys sat entranced, she wasn’t a fair player or even a good one, she was amazing! James looked positively elated at the prospect of actually having a winning team.

“What’s your name again? Hermione…?”

“Krum, Hermione Krum”

The entire playing field went quiet.

Victor Krum was an amazing Quidditch player and not in a little minor league like Goodwin Wood’s father was but Bulgaria’s main Quidditch team.

“Why didn’t you tell us that you were Victor Krum’s daughter?” asked James shell-shocked.

“Because I wanted to get onto the team because of me and my abilities and not for what my last name is” answered Hermione simply.

Sirius could not believe his ears, so she did understand him! That was exactly how he felt about his life. He felt so fortunate to have two friends who knew exactly what he was going through.

When the afternoon classes finally ended, Sirius and Trevor continued their search for their talent. Actually Sirius did. Trevor had found his during fifth period, in Herbology. Trevor was just going along with Sirius to give him moral support. They tried wizard’s chess which was led by Sirius’ cousin Albus. The game was over after two minutes for Sirius was horrible at it.

Sirius decided to give up on his search for a few weeks so that he could settle into school. Then after some time, he would start his quest once again. His friends agreed hoping in their minds that he would just forget about it and be happy with who he was.

The entire school, students and faculty alike, was outside seated on the bleachers, all bundled up and ready to cheer for either Gryffindor or Slytherin. It was the first Quidditch match of the season and everyone could hardly wait.
Leah Jordan was at the mike, for she had a clear voice that easily carried throughout the field. Both teams mounted their brooms and flew up as she called out their names.
The Slytherin team looked ruthless and mean. They were all big and brawny. Sirius did not trust them to play fair.
He was correct. They pushed and they shoved ignoring Andy the referee, and her whistle. The crowd gasped as Tom Malfoy flew full force into James Potter knocking him clear off his broom. James fell from the sky and landed with a nasty thud on the ground.

The school nurse rushed over and bent down to inspect him. After declaring it a broken wrist she whisked him away to the Infirmary. But not before James told Sirius to take his place as seeker.


Sirius nervously walked out onto the field and mounted his broom. When he reached the other players Hermione shot him an encouraging smile and the game began. Once he got into the game he forgot his fears and just played to the best of his abilities. He dodged Tom and the other Slytherins and swished and swerved through the air feeling the wind whip his hair. Before he knew it, the game was over and they had won.

It was a great feeling to have everyone cheering for you and calling your name, and so Sirius beamed, taking it all in. He was in the midst of basking in the limelight when Lily pulled him over to the side.


“Great game” she congratulated him.

“Umm, thanks.” He replied confused, what was it that she wanted to talk about in private?

“I have a question”

“Ask away.”

“Why didn’t you want to be on the team?”

Sirius blushed and took a deep breath before he began to talk and even when he did, he spoke while looking down at his shoes. He told her how he didn’t want to be compared to her and James, and how he wanted to find his own talents.

Lily looked shocked. “I didn’t know you felt that way. You’re being so silly though.”

“What do you mean?”

“Think about it, after today’s game did anyone compare your playing to mine or James’?”

Sirius shook his head no.

“So maybe you don’t need to search for talents that you don’t have, and begin to appreciate the ones that you do have. If you don’t compare yourself to me, or James, or the rest of the family nobody else will either. Be grateful for the family that you are a part of. You are a part of us, you belong with us and you are just as good and talented and as special as we are. Remember that.”

And from that day on, Sirius did just that.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=46929