The Bad Girl by Daniela
Summary: There's a new girl down in Hogsmeade. She has a mysterious connection to Mme. Rosmerta.
Categories: Various Pairings Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 18977 Read: 33082 Published: 12/02/04 Updated: 01/30/05

1. New Girl in Town by Daniela

2. First Rule Broken by Daniela

3. First Date by Daniela

4. Chapter 4 by Daniela

5. Love Realized by Daniela

6. Confrontation by Daniela

7. Talking to Alanna by Daniela

8. Fight by Daniela

9. The Explanation and the Promise by Daniela

10. Draco's Choice by Daniela

New Girl in Town by Daniela
The Bad Girl

Chapter 1 : New Girl in Town

Madame Rosmerta wiped her arm across her forehead, leaving a soapy mark. She’d been doing dishes for at least an hour after she closed up. People had been telling her to use magic, as it was much quicker, but she always insisted that she felt they were cleaner if she did them herself!


Suddenly, she heard an urgent knocking at the door. She frowned. I wasn’t expecting visitors, she thought to herself. Wiping her hands on her favourite blue apron, she went to open it.



When she saw who was standing there, she gasped and stopped in her tracks. She was only able to stare for a while at the girl standing outside her door.


“Hey, Mum, are you okay?” the girl asked, raising one sculpted eyebrow.


“A “ Alanna?” Madame Rosmerta whispered in disbelief. “Is that you?”


“Yeah,” said Alanna cheerily. “Just popped in for a visit!” She looked around her mother at the warm, familiar kitchen.


“Alanna, what are you doing?” her mother asked, lowering her voice warningly.


Alanna flipped her long blonde hair over one shoulder and sighed dramatically. “Mum, could I just come in? It is chilly out here, you know!”


Madame Rosmerta moved aside reluctantly, her mind still reeling over this appearance of her long-lost daughter.


“Aren’t you happy to see me? I am your daughter, after all!” the girl said, a hurt expression appearing on her face.


“Alanna, you ran away 2 years ago,” Madame Rosmerta said, not at all fooled by her daughter’s tricks. “What are you doing back? You said you would never come back after you got expelled.”


The girl’s face tightened. “Let’s not talk about that, shall we?” she asked through gritted teeth. “I came back because… well, because I got kicked out of the boarding house I was living in.”


Rosmerta dropped her head into her hands. “What did you do?”


Alanna smiled wanly. “I couldn’t pay the rent.”


Rosmerta sighed. At least it wasn’t a huge crime. “So you came back here. What are you going to do?”

The girl smiled hopefully, and her mother’s mouth dropped open.

“Oh, no. You want a job here, don’t you?”

Alanna nodded and smiled sweetly. “Pretty, pretty please?” she asked.


“I am still very angry with you,” her mother said through gritted teeth also. “But I will allow you to stay here “ but you will have to pay room and board “ and no flirting with the customers!”


Alanna squealed and threw her arms around her mother. Her mother stiffened slightly then relaxed and smiled. Perhaps this could work to both our advantages after all, she thought.


The next morning...


“All right, Alanna,” Rosmerta said sternly as she handed her daughter a drying cloth and set a message pad beside her. “At first, you’ll be drying glasses and other dishes. But if you see a customer come in and sit down without ordering at the bar, you will go and see to them. But under no circumstances are you to bring the food “ only I do that. Do you understand?”


Alanna nodded, and began drying glasses, rolling her eyes. She thinks I’m still this silly 14 year old, she thought. Her mother sighed and shook her head. “At least I have the help,” she muttered to herself.


Just then, she remembered tomorrow was the day the Hogwarts students had their Hogsmeade weekend. She turned to tell Alanna, but saw her dealing with a customer. She watched for a few minutes, but Alanna was very polite.


Alanna worked all day, drying glasses and occasionally taking an order when her mother was too busy. Near the end of the day, she almost lost her temper with a customer who was being very rude. But a sharp glance from her mother made her rein in her feelings, and smile politely and nod as the customer told her off.


Finally the day was over. Alanna dropped into a chair beside her mother, exhausted. Her mother smiled slightly, then said, “Now, pick up a wet washcloth and start wiping down tables. I’ll do the mopping as a special treat tonight, but after this, you’re on your own. All right?”

Alanna nodded, happy to be able to lean on the table as she washed it.


Finally, these chores too were done. Her mother sent her up to one of the spare rooms they kept above the bar for overnight customers.


“I’ll get your first payment of rent from you this weekend. Oh, by the way, it’s a Hogsmeade weekend this week.” Alanna nodded wearily “ she’d learned about the visits before she’d been expelled “ she’d just never been on one. “I’m warning you “ I will officially disown you if you flirt with any of the students!” Madame Rosmerta glared down at her daughter, quite serious. Alanna nodded again, more alert now “ she’d forgotten about the students!


“Now, go to bed,” her mother continued. “And don’t forget to clean your teeth!” she called as Alanna trudged up the stairs. “And don’t stay up late!”

Alanna sighed. It was nice to be home again “ even if it wasn’t really her original home. Maybe I never should have run away…?


A.N.: I know this isn’t really a romance story yet, but as soon as I get the next chapter up, things should start to heat up! Stay posted! “ Daniela
First Rule Broken by Daniela
Chapter 2: First Rule Broken

Disclaimer: All characters and locations belong to the talented Ms. Rowling “ I only made up one character.

Alanna yawned her way through brushing her teeth. Her mother had called to get her butt downstairs soon or else! Alanna shook her head “ it still felt weird to hear that familiar call. The last two days had been hectic, but it was still good to be home, in a somewhat weird way.


She swept her hair up into a ponytail and secured it with a clip. Suddenly, she remembered today was the day that the Hogwarts students were coming in. She grinned mischievously “ perfect flirting material! If she hadn’t been expelled from Hogwarts, she would have been in sixth year. She’d heard that Harry Potter was in his fifth year “ maybe she’d get to meet him! It was only a year’s difference, not a big gap. Smiling, she scurried downstairs, and the day was begun.


She worked throughout the morning. Just after lunch, when she was on her break, the students from Hogwarts began filtering through the door. All they ordered was Butterbeer, but she didn’t have the chance to deal with them yet.


Suddenly, her mother barked, “Alanna! Come here!” Alanna jumped out of her chair and hurried to her mother’s side.


“Yeah, Mum?” she asked. She was pretty sure she hadn’t been doing anything. She quickly ran over the day so far in her head “ no, she hadn’t flirted or anything. Luckily, her mother didn’t recognize the “guilty look” on Alanna’s face “ in the duration of Alanna’s youth, that look had betrayed her many a time.


“I have to run to the store to stock up on some more Firewhisky, we’re all out. I would ask you to do it, but you’re underage. I need you to watch the bar. If someone asks you for a drink that is too complicated, just ask them if there’s anything else they’d like, as you’re not quite experienced enough, or wait for me to come back. Now, I really have to go. Do not drink, and no flirting with the students “ just give them their orders and leave them alone!”


Her mother hurried out the door, smiling at regular customers she passed. Alanna hurried behind the bar, grabbing a cloth and wiping out a glass as she waited for someone to order something.


Abruptly, she heard a deep male voice asking for a Butterbeer. Thinking it was an adult, she looked up. Instead, she found herself looking into the steely grey eyes of a boy with blond hair. He happened to be very hot. She instantly turned on the charm, conveniently forgetting completely about her mother’s rule.

“Hi. I’ll just get that for you right now,” she purred in her most attractive voice. She turned away briefly and grabbed the bottle of Butterbeer under the counter. As he took it, she felt an electric shock. She drew in her breath. He smiled at her and she smiled back. He leaned across the counter to talk.

“I haven’t seen you here before,” he said, his eyes boring into hers. She flushed. “I, uh…just arrived a couple of days ago,” she said shyly. Guys seemed to like that. “I’m staying for a while, though,” she added flashing him a confident smile. From her experience, guys generally liked that too. He nodded, then extended his hand.

“I’m Draco Malfoy,” he said, still looking into her big green eyes. He looked down as she propped her hand on her hip, and was sure, if the bar wasn’t in the way, he would be seeing a nice, shapely hourglass figure.

“I’m Alanna, Madame’s daughter,” she said as they shook hands, trying to keep her voice steady. She felt an electric shiver again.

“Why don’t you go to Hogwarts? You certainly live close enough,” Draco asked casually. His casual demeanor was a pretense he used with many girls. He’d learned they seemed to be attracted to laid-back guys, and ones it took an effort to catch. He thought this girl was quite attractive, but knew enough not to overstep the line just yet.

“I was at Hogwarts for a while,” she said, again drying the glass while looking at Draco out of the corner of her eye. She judged he liked bad girls “ he just had that sort of, well, vibe. “But I got expelled in my 4th year.”

She saw that had surprised him. “Really? How old are you?” She smiled. “Just sixteen. How old are you?”

“I’m fifteen. So, I was wondering if you wanted to go out sometime?” he asked. She smiled happily. She was wondering when he was going to get around to it!

“Sure,” she said nonchalantly, like she didn’t care. “I get off at about four thirty today, for a change. When do you have to be back?”

“Uh, six “ that’s when dinner starts,” he answered. “So I guess we can meet at five, and have an hour?”

She nodded. “Alright. I’ll meet you in front of here at five. See you then.” He nodded and walked away, giving her a quick sexy look over his shoulder as he left.

She smiled yet again. She had a date! She just wouldn’t be able to let her mother know “ she’d have to make up something.

Oh, well, she thought, as she mixed three people’s drinks. I’m used to making things up. This should be easy. Besides, I wouldn’t want to miss this “ that guy is drop dead gorgeous!
First Date by Daniela
I’d like Asphyxiated to review again, please.
Chapter 3
First Date

“Alanna!” Madame Rosmerta yelled as she saw the back of her daughter going out the door. “Get back here right now!”


Alanna grimaced, and slowly turned around to trudge back to her mother’s side. Darn, I was sure just leaving would work. Of course, maybe not, since it didn’t the LAST time I tried it, she thought wryly.


“Yes, Mum?” she asked innocently.


Her mother frowned. “Where do you think you were going?”


“Nowhere,” Alanna said, shrugging and carefully keeping her pretty face blank. “I am off now, you know.”


Her mother sighed. “I know that,” she said, smoothing her dress. “But I would still like to know if you’re going to disappear suddenly.”


Alanna sighed and thought fast. “Fine, I’ll tell you. Since I haven’t been home in a while, I thought I’d…walk around and look at everything. Is that a problem?” She propped her hands on her hips and stared into her mother’s green eyes.


Madame Rosmerta found her daughter’s unblinking stare quite unnerving. She averted her eyes, and wound a tendril of blonde hair around her finger, thinking.


Well, she can’t get into too much trouble, Madame finally decided after some serious thought. Dropping the hair, she looked back at her daughter, who was impatiently checking her watch.


“Fine. You can go. But be back by six, and I don’t mean six ten or six fifteen or six oh five. I mean six. And don’t talk to strangers. If it starts getting dark, come back IMMEDIATELY. Do you understand me?”


Alanna rolled her eyes. “Yes, Mum,” she said irritably. “Can I go now?”


Her mother sighed and shook her head. “Yes, go. Remember what I said.”


Alanna smiled and ran out the door. “Bye!” she called over her shoulder. The door slammed and she was gone.


Hopefully, she comes back without trouble, Madame thought as she turned back to her customers, smiling.





Alanna darted around the corner once she got out the door. She hid in the alley beside the building and waited for Draco to show. She drew back into shadows whenever anyone walked by so they wouldn’t see her.


I don’t know what Mum would do if she found out I was meeting a guy, Alanna thought as she waited, shivering a little. Probably disown me or something.


Finally she heard the sound of footsteps and the swish of a cloak. She drew back into the shadows until she heard Draco whisper, “Alanna? Are you here?”


She smiled and crept up behind him. She whispered in his ear, “Boo!”


He jumped about a foot, then whirled around. She giggled and said, “Hi. You ready?”


He shook his head at her. “Once my heart slides back down to its proper place, I’ll be ready.”


“Sorry about that,” she laughed. He smiled and they set off.


“So where do you want to go?” he asked.


“Well, do you think anyone’s up at the Shrieking Shack?” she asked in a meaningful way. His eyes widened.


“I don’t think so,” he said, smirking that trademark Malfoy smirk. “Let’s go.”


“Ok,” she said, taking his hand. “Let’s go.”




Once up there, he draped his arm around her shoulders. She grinned and snuggled closer to him. They stood in silence for a while, just looking at the scenery. It actually didn’t look too bad, as it was bathed in sunlight.


“It’s prettier than I remembered,” Alanna whispered. Draco tightened his arm around her shoulders.


“Yeah,” he said softly. “It’s really nice up here in the summer.”


“Oh, so you’ve come up here with other girls?” she asked, a mock look of hurt on her face, and hit him lightly on the arm.


He looked confused, and began to stammer. “Wha-what? No, I mean, yeah, but…” He looked at the ground.


Alanna began to laugh. “Don’t worry, Draco,” she said softly. “I really don’t care.” She smiled up at him. “Really.”


They stared into each other’s eyes for a few moments. Just as Draco leaned in toward her, and she closed her eyes, his watch alarm started beeping wildly.


Alanna gritted her teeth and opened her eyes. Draco was just pushing his sleeve back down from checking his watch.


His grey eyes stared into her big blue eyes with an apologetic look. She forced herself to smile and take his hand to walk back down to the village.


“It’s okay, Draco, really,” Alanna said for the fifth time as they walked back toward the village. He had been apologizing profusely the whole time. His alarm had meant that it was time to head back.


“But, I didn’t want to spoil our date or anything,” he said hurriedly. “I’m really sorry and-“


At this point, Alanna pulled him into the alley beside her mother’s establishment, went up on tiptoe and pressed her full mouth to his. She felt a hot passion shoot through her veins and she was sure he’d felt it too. He kissed her back, his lips surprisingly soft.


“It’s really okay. We can pick it up again later,” she whispered when they had parted, still feeling the burn through her. He smiled and kissed her again. She felt the same feeling and she was sure he felt it this time, too.


“Is there any way you can meet me at the front gate of Hogwarts tomorrow night at ten o’clock?” he whispered into her ear.


Alanna nodded and grinned. “I’ll make it, don’t worry. Ten o’clock tomorrow then.” They kissed again, but this time it was fleeting. Then, with a swish of his cloak, he was gone.


She leaned against the wall for support and smiled dreamily, running over her afternoon in her mind. It had been wonderful “ her first good date in a long time.


She checked her watch and gasped. It was now six ten, and her mother had told her not to be late. She rushed to the back door, and peeked through the window. There was no one in the kitchen. She carefully pushed the heavy door open and slipped inside.


Alanna ran lightly into the hallway. As she stopped and checked the darkness around her for people, a voice came out of the darkness.

“Where have you been?” asked her mother sharply, a light in her hand as she carried a tray of used dishes to the kitchen. “I told you to be back at six on the dot, not six ten. It is now six fifteen.”


Alanna gulped, and ran over dozens of possible excuses, each one more unlikely than the last. She finally decided to go with the simplest one she knew and that had always worked before.


“Well, I was in Zonko’s, and I was looking at some things. Suddenly, the time just flew by, and I found it was already five forty five. I rushed back as quickly as I could,” she added lamely.


Madame Rosmerta shook her head sadly. “Alanna, you have used that excuse on me many a time “ too many times. I seriously doubt that. Please go to your room “ no supper, and I’ll deal with you tomorrow.”


Alanna looked at her mother with pleading eyes. Mum always seems to fall for that, she thought hopefully.


Madame Rosmerta sighed. “Alanna, you’ve been gone too long. That doesn’t work anymore. Go to your room “ NOW.” Her voice was like ice, and Alanna knew it wasn’t going to melt anytime soon.


Alanna turned and trudged toward the staircase. She stepped up onto the first steps, but stopped when she heard her mother’s voice again.


“Believe me, Alanna, you will stop this. I will let it go no further. I will not put up with you again. You got expelled from school and you ran away, all because you don’t listen to your elders. You will now, or else.”


Alanna would have dearly loved to say Or else what? But she knew that now was not the time. Her mother was furious, and when her mother was furious, you listened to her.


Unless you’re me, and decide not to listen to her, and get expelled, and then she hates you. I am so dead, Alanna thought glumly as she trudged up the rest of her stairs and into her room. Why can’t I ever just listen and obey, instead of arguing with her and disobeying?


She flopped down on her bed, and stared at the ceiling. A small smile played at the corners of her mouth. She flipped on her stomach and propped her chin in her hands.


I can afford to not listen to her this one last time, she thought as she pictured Draco’s carelessly styled blonde hair, his gray eyes, and the feeling that shot through her when they kissed. I don’t think I’ll be able to let this one go.
Chapter 4 by Daniela
Chapter 4


Sunlight streamed in through the window to pool on the bed. Alanna stretched and smiled as she remembered the events of yesterday. That was a great kiss, she thought as her smile grew bigger.

She jumped out of bed and quickly made it, smoothing the dark green bedspread as fast as she could. The sunlight quickly warmed the green walls and lit on the carved golden vines on the molding.

Alanna got dressed in a pale blue dress she’d had forever and had never worn. She didn’t think she’d see Draco today, but just in case, she decided to not take any chances.

She ran a brush through her wavy hair and then ran downstairs. It was seven in the morning, and her mother had told her to be prompt, as she had to start working as soon as customers started coming in. They came in around eight.

“Good morning, Mum!” Alanna trilled as she dropped a peck on her mother’s cheek. “Isn’t it just gorgeous out today?” She grabbed an apple from the bowl and smiled at her mother.

“Yes,” said her mother slowly. What is with her? Madame Rosmerta thought suspiciously. She’s never this cheerful around me “ especially not in the morning. Something is up.

“Alanna, I need you to work all day behind the bar. Don’t come out. Technically, you’re grounded,” Madame said. Might as well discourage her from anything.

Alanna’s cheery smile instantly faded. “What?” she asked incredulously. “Why?”

Her mother rolled her eyes. “Don’t try that look on me, young lady. I know it all too well,” she said. “You’re grounded because you were late last night. I hope to somehow teach you promptness.”

“Just because I was 10 minutes late, I’m grounded?” Alanna cried. “That “ that “ that’s totally unfair! Argh. I hate you!” She ran out the kitchen door and slammed it loudly behind her.

Madame Rosmerta sighed. “I just can’t win with her,” she muttered. She shook her head and went out to the bar. She’d have to call Alanna in sooner or later, but Madame would much rather it was later. The girl needed time to cool off.

Outside, Alanna had dropped on a bench and was taking vicious bites out of the apple. What is her problem? I was 10 minutes late, how is that grounds for, well, grounding? I mean, just, what, I’m not allowed to have fun? Sometimes I really do hate her, even if she is my mother!

Alanna hurled the apple over the garden wall.

“Ow!” yelled someone behind the wall. Alanna desperately wanted to smirk and walk inside, but she couldn’t. She wasn’t like that “ she just acted bad, she was really a good person. So she ran to the wall and looked over.

“I’m sorry!” she called as a boy with flaming red hair and a girl with bushy brown hair stared at the apple rolling before them. “I didn’t mean to hit you!”

The boy looked up, and his mouth dropped. The girl pushed it closed with her hand and glared at him. Then she looked at Alanna and grinned.

“It’s okay!” she called back. “You’d think he’d be used to it by now!” She chuckled, and so did Alanna.

Alanna looked behind her, and saw no one in the doorway. She hopped over the wall, somehow keeping her dress straight. Once she was on the other side, she walked over to the boy and girl.

“Hi, I’m Alanna,” she said cheerfully, smiling and extending her hand.

“Hi, I’m Hermione and this is Ron,” said the girl, taking Alanna’s hand. The boy continued to gape openly at Alanna. “He would say hello, but apparently he’s stupefied by your beauty.”

Alanna flushed. “Oh, I’m not ““

The girl shook her head. “Perfect combination “ beauty and modesty. Anyway, I haven’t seen you around. You look about our age “ why don’t you go to Hogwarts, seeing as you live so close?”

Alanna smiled uneasily at the boy. “Well, I was in Hogwarts a while ago, but I got expelled in my fourth year.” She saw the girl’s eyebrows disappear into her hairline. “Don’t worry “ I didn’t murder anyone or anything, and I’m not Slytherin’s heir!”

Hermione relaxed and chuckled. “What house were you in?”

“I was in Gryffindor “ I don’t think I saw you much, though. I was sort of in my own world,” Alanna explained. “Aren’t you in fifth year?”

Hermione nodded. “Yes, Ron and I are. Well, we should get going, it’s getting late. It was nice to meet you.” She shook Alanna’s hand again and smiled. “I’m sure Ron would say something, but he’s not in the right condition right now.”

Alanna giggled. “That’s quite all right. Goodbye Ron.”

The boy goggled at her. She smiled broadly at him and then hopped back over the kitchen wall, and walked into the pub. She slipped behind the bar and began wiping glasses.

Well, those two were interesting, she thought to herself.

THAT NIGHT…

Alanna slipped from under her bedclothes. She crept to her wardrobe, and pulled on her favourite purple dress. After a lot of consideration, she’d decided to forego the blue one.

She grabbed the matching shoes, and crept out the door and to the head of the hallway. She listened carefully for footsteps, then crept silently down the stairs. She paused just before the doorway to the bar, and suddenly flattened herself against the wall as one of the other workers passed her.

Once the worker was gone, she let out the breath she hadn’t known she was holding. She flashed past the open door and out the back door. She moved like a silent shadow through the back yard and hopped the wall again.

She strapped on her shoes and hurried in the direction of Hogwarts. She hugged herself and smiled. She was going to see Draco again!

Finally she reached the appointed meeting place. She only had to wait a few moments before she saw Draco approach. She stepped out of the shadows and he took her in his arms.

“It seems like so long,” she whispered. He nodded, then lowered his mouth to hers. Again, she felt that shock, then the passion surged through her veins. I probably won’t be able to survive these kisses after a while!, she thought after they parted.

“Come on, let’s walk,” she said to him.

“Alright, where do you want to go?” he asked. She bit her lip, and then her eyes lit up.

“Can we walk around the grounds?” she asked. “I haven’t been here in so long, I just want to see everything.”

“Okay, let’s go,” he said. He took her hand, and they began walking. Alanna drank in all the sights that had been lost to her for so long. Hagrid’s hut, the lake, the castle itself, the Forbidden Forest… She told Draco stories of what she had done here, and he chuckled at all her escapades.

Finally, his watch beeped. Alanna grabbed his wrist, and saw it was one o’clock in the morning.

She gasped. “I’ve been here too long. I have to go!” She turned to run, but he grabbed her hand.

“Wait, Alanna!” She turned to face him, and he took her face in his hands.

“We have to do this again sometime. How about tomorrow?” he whispered to her. She smiled, and nodded. They kissed, and this time it was better than ever before. Her knees were so weak, he had to hold her up. He laughed and so did she.

Finally they parted. She gasped, and said, “Do you take lessons on kissing?”

He chuckled softly. “No. You should go now. I still have to get back to my common room.” She nodded, and gave him a swift kiss.

He watched her go, and whispered to himself, “Until tomorrow, then,” and touched his lips.

Meanwhile, from his dormitory window, Harry Potter watched as Malfoy walked back to the castle. Harry frowned. Who was that girl?, he wondered.

(A/N: Sorry I couldn’t think of a chapter title “ totally blanked. If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks. Please review!!!)
Love Realized by Daniela
Chapter 5
Love Realized


Alanna ran noiselessly through the dark streets. Finally, she reached her house. She glanced in the window as she passed, and didn’t see her mother behind the bar. The customers were being very rowdy, though.


Probably too much ale, Alanna thought wryly.


She eased the back door open. She didn’t dare go through the kitchen, as her mother was probably there. Alanna slipped out of her shoes, and carried them in her hand. She ran on tiptoes to the foot of the stairs, and almost fell down them again when she heard a voice out of the darkness.

“We have to stop meeting like this,” Madame Rosmerta said sarcastically as she struck a match and lit a candle. Alanna winced.

“Alanna-“ her mother started, but Alanna just stood there with bowed head. Madame sighed, and shook her head.

“I can’t do this anymore,” she said tiredly. “Get out of my sight. You’re not to leave your room until further notice.”

Alanna raised her face in surprise. She’s never acted like this before, never so… well, defeated, Alanna thought wonderingly. As she trudged to her room, her head bowed again, she suddenly thought, And it’s all my fault. I’ll have to send Draco an owl to tell him I can’t see him for a while.


Alanna climbed into her bed without bothering to change her dress. It would be terribly wrinkled, but she didn’t care. She laid there for at least an hour, then finally fell asleep.




Alanna woke from a very strange dream. She shook her head, and tried to go back to sleep, but she couldn’t. She opened the curtains and found it was still dark. She looked at her clock, and saw it was only six o’clock.

Well, I guess I’m up now, she thought, and walked over to the marble washstand in the corner. She looked in the mirror and smiled ruefully. Her face was tearstained and her dress was crumpled on her.


That’s what I get for sleeping in my clothes, Alanna thought as she took off the dress and changed into jeans and a t-shirt, Muggle clothes she had found quite comfortable in. She washed her face and cleaned her teeth.


Just as she finished, someone knocked at the door. Alanna went over to open it.

One of the servants was standing there, holding a tray of eggs and toast, as well as a cup of tea.

“Your mother wishes you to have breakfast, lady,” said the servant. “She says you aren’t to starve while you are imprisoned.”

Good choice of words, mother, thought Alanna as she smiled her thanks and took the tray from the servant’s hands. That is exactly how I feel.


Now, I have to find a way to get an owl to Draco, Alanna mused as she ate. Suddenly, she snapped her fingers.


“I’ve got it!” she said aloud. “I’ll bribe one of the servants to take a letter down to the post-office for me, and not tell Mother. Perfect!” She took out writing paper and pen and set her letter down.


Finally, she was pleased. Well, as pleased as she could be, considering she was telling Draco she couldn’t see him until she was ungrounded. She read it to herself.

Dear Draco,

I’m afraid I won’t be able to make it to our date tonight. My mother has grounded me until further notice, and I don’t want to rile her anymore than I already have. If I tried to get out, it would be too risky.

This will probably last a while. I will send you another owl when I am ungrounded, whenever that will be. In that letter, I will tell you what time to meet me, where and what date.

I will miss you terribly, and hope you will do the same. I hope you understand.

Love,
Alanna



Alanna folded the letter and sealed it. She stuck her head out the door and waited until she saw a servant carrying something up the stairs. She waited until the maid was coming back down the stairs to call out to her.


“Excuse me!” Alanna trilled. The maid jumped, and looked around. She saw Alanna and walked toward her.

“Yes?” asked the maid. Alanna smiled at her in a friendly way.

“I was wondering, would you mind taking this letter to the post-office for me right now?” Alanna asked sweetly. “It’s ever so urgent.”


The maid was instantly taken in by Alanna’s sweetness, never having met her before. She smiled at the 16 year old, and held out her hand for the letter. But Alanna held back, and turned serious.

“But you mustn’t tell my mother who you’re carrying the letter for,” said Alanna, looking into the maid’s eyes. The maid hesitated, and Alanna knew what to do instantly.


“Hang on a minute,” she said, and disappeared into her room. Rummaging through her jewelry box, she found a pearl necklace a former boyfriend had given her. I never liked it, anyway, she thought, and shrugged.


She handed it to the maid. “Here. Will this keep your silence?”

“Oh, yes. I’ll tell Madame that it’s for my mother,” said the girl, putting the necklace into her apron pocket. “Thank you, lady.”

Alanna smiled, then made a shooing motion. “Now go. I need that taken care of as soon as possible.” The maid scurried off.

Now, what will I do? Alanna wondered as she set the tray outside her door. Maybe I’ll read, there’s nothing else to do. Oh, I wish I had a television right now!



Draco Malfoy sat eating breakfast, and trying to tune Pansy Parkinson out as she prattled on about something that he didn’t care about.


Finally, the mail came. Draco automatically looked up, even though he wasn’t expecting anything. To his surprise, a normal brown owl swooped down and landed in front of him.


He untied the letter and shooed the owl away. It hooted at him scornfully and flew off “ it had probably been expecting breakfast.

He broke the seal and was just about to open the letter when he noticed Pansy looking over his shoulder. He closed it completely and got up.

“I, uh, forgot something in my dormitory,” he said in a sort of explanation to Crabbe and Goyle, who just stared stupidly at him. “I’ll be right back.”


He walked casually through the hall, then broken into a run the minute he reached the entrance to the dungeons.

Finally he reached his common room. He rushed up to his dormitory, and sat down on his green covers. He eagerly opened the letter. He thought he knew whom it was from.

As he read it, his eagerness faded, and confusion replaced it. When he finished, he slowly folded it and put it in his bedside table drawer.


Why would she be grounded? He wondered. Maybe she got caught last night. That must be it. She wouldn’t lie. All the same, I should go down there after classes and see what’s going on, just to be sure.


He looked at his clock and realized he was late for Charms. He grabbed his bag and went to his class, musing all the way. He decided he would go down right after supper, and ask a servant for her.

I should probably avoid her mother, he thought. She probably knows, and she won’t be too happy to see me.



Alanna lay on her bed, reading a book she’d found and hadn’t read in years. Suddenly, there was a pounding on her door.


“Go away!” she shouted, thinking it was her mother. She didn’t really feel like talking right now.

“Alanna, open the door,” said a voice that was definitely not her mother’s. She leapt off the bed, and threw open the door. Draco Malfoy stood outside.


“What are you doing here?” she hissed, and pulled him inside. Suddenly, she heard footsteps. She froze.

“My mum!” she whispered. “Get in the wardrobe, and don’t make a sound.”

He vanished inside, and she threw herself on the bed and picked up the book.

“Alanna?” her mother’s voice called.

“Go away,” called Alanna. “I don’t really feel like talking right now.”

“Alanna, open this door,” her mother said in a deadly way. Alanna sighed, and opened the door.

“What?” she asked sulkily. Her mother shook her head at her as a warning sign.


“We need to talk,” Madame said, sitting on the bed and patting the covers beside her. Alanna sat.

“Are you going to tell me where you were at two o’clock in the morning last night?” asked Madame. “I won’t force you, but I would like to know.”

“I couldn’t sleep, so I went for a walk,” said Alanna in a blank voice. I’m not lying, I’m just not telling the whole truth, she thought to console herself.

However, her mother knew that carefully controlled voice. But she didn’t say anything.

“Well, I just get worried about you. I don’t want you wandering the streets at night alone. Just, don’t do that anymore. How about this? I’ll give you a curfew of eleven thirty p.m. By that time, you have to be in the building. Before that, whatever. Is that alright?”

Alanna smiled and hugged her mother tightly. “It’s perfect. Thank you!” she squealed. Her mother smiled, and hugged her daughter tightly. It had been so long since they’d hugged.


Finally, Madame kissed Alanna on the head, and left the room. Alanna waited until she was sure her mum was gone, then hurried to the wardrobe. Draco stood hunched there, as he was too tall to fit comfortably. She smiled at him.

“The coast’s clear,” she said, and kissed him. He smiled against her lips and stepped out of the wardrobe.

“I just wanted to check you were okay,” he said, his grey eyes looking into her blue ones, looking worried. She hugged him and he hugged her tightly.

“Of course I’m okay,” she said softly. Then she tensed. “You’d best go now,” she whispered. They kissed long and hard, and then he left, silently. She looked after him, grinning broadly.


Draco hurried through the grounds and up the castle steps. He looked around for teachers, then ran to the dungeons.

Again, Harry Potter watched him as he rushed up the castle steps. Harry was frowning again. Where could he be going? He wondered. Harry decided to follow him the next time he left, with the Invisibility Cloak. He can only be up to no good, Harry thought wryly.

What he didn’t know was that the cold, unsmiling Draco Malfoy was at that moment lying on his bed with his hand on his lips, grinning and thinking about this girl. I love her, he suddenly realized, and grinned even more broadly. I really love her. I have to tell her.


In the room above the village pub, Alanna Rosmerta also lay on her bed, with her hand on her lips and grinning broadly, in an unconscious imitation of her boyfriend.

I love him, she thought, and rolled over, grinning even more broadly. I really love him. I have to tell him.
Confrontation by Daniela
Draco groaned and threw an arm over his eyes as sunlight flooded the room.


“It’s the weekend “ why does the sun have to be so bright?” he muttered. Suddenly, he remembered “ today was Sunday. Even though he had tons of homework, he was going to see Alanna today again.


I can always do the homework later, he thought. He jumped out of bed and pulled on his clothes quickly. He ran through the common room, shoving Pansy out of the way as she tried to stop him.


“Draco!” she screamed after him, but he ignored her and kept running. Sometimes, I really hate that girl. Okay not sometimes “ all the time, he thought wryly.


He ducked into the Great Hall and grabbed some toast off the table. He would eat it on the way down to Alanna’s.


At the Gryffindor table, Harry looked over as he saw Draco rush by. Instantly, he rose from his own breakfast.

“See you later, guys,” he said, and quickly hurried to his dormitory. He had already told Ron all about what was going on.

Hermione raised an eyebrow at Ron. “Well? Going to let me in on the secret?” she demanded, and Ron grinned sheepishly.


“Whoops, sort of forgot, ‘Mione,” he said apologetically. “Well, the thing is…” and he proceeded to explain it to her.


Meanwhile, Harry had just thrown the Invisibility Cloak over himself and rushed down the Staircase. Draco had just disappeared through the doors, so Harry rushed after him. He had to keep Malfoy in sight, no matter what.

Malfoy ate his toast in large gulps, then wiped his hands on his robes. He sped up. Harry, following unnoticed, sped up also.

Where is he going? Harry wondered as Draco sped up even more. He never even checks that no teachers are watching.
Thinking of teachers, Harry quickly glanced over his shoulder, but there was no one there.



Draco walked quickly through the streets of Hogsmeade. He slipped into an alley and waited. He only had to wait a bit before one of Alanna’s personal servants opened the back door and beckoned him in. He slipped through the half open door and ran up the stairs.

Harry slipped in just before the servant closed the door, and ran up the stairs after Malfoy.

Malfoy knocked on a door across from the head of the stairs. Harry could hear a voice from within.

“Who is it?” the voice called.

“It’s me,” Malfoy said softly. Harry noticed his voice was gentler than ever before. “Open the door, Alanna.”

Alanna? Harry thought, wrinkling his forehead. Who’s Alanna? He quickly slipped in just after Malfoy when the door opened.

He happened to walk in on a very passionate kiss between a pretty girl he’d never seen before, and Malfoy. Harry felt uncomfortable before they finally stopped.

“Are you sure your mother’s gone?” Malfoy asked, kissing the girl all over her face.

“Yes, I’m totally sure,” Alanna said breathlessly. “Mandy said she left about twenty minutes ago, and won’t be back until ten o’clock tonight.”

“Then we have plenty of time, don’t we?” growled Malfoy, and Alanna giggled. They fell on the bed and started to fool around.

Draco had almost gotten Alanna’s shirt off, when Harry, who had been feeling really uncomfortable, had started to back up. Suddenly, his heel caught the cloak and pulled it down from his head. He grimaced, but the damage was done “ Alanna shrieked, and Draco whipped around.

“POTTER!” Draco shouted, advancing on Harry. “What the HELL are you doing here?” He shoved Harry into the wall, and pinned him with one hand.

Harry struggled helplessly, both in mind and body. But, try as he might, he could not think of a good cover story. Finally, he gave up and decided to tell the truth.

“Well, I saw you twice coming up the stairs late at night, so I decided to find out what you could have been doing,” Harry gasped as he tried to breathe “ Draco had happened to pin him by the throat.

“WHAT?” Draco yelled in Harry’s face. “Why should MY business interest YOU, POTTER? Why do YOU care what I DO?” Malfoy shook Harry then let him slide to the floor.

“Look, Potter, I would love to do this right now, but I’m sort of with my girlfriend,” Malfoy said, his voice low but deadly. “So get out of here, now, and I’ll deal with you at school.”

Alanna, meanwhile, had been hastily buttoning up her shirt while the argument went on. She had freaked out when the supposedly suspended head of a dark haired boy suddenly appeared in her room. She had been shocked when Draco had said his name was Potter.

She pushed back Draco. He tried to hold her back, but she was strong, too, and so got past him.

“Come on, Alanna,” he whispered urgently. “Just leave him “ I’ll deal with him later.” But she shook her head stubbornly and pushed past him.

Placing her hands on her hips, she was an unconscious imitation of her mother. Her pink silk blouse and black skirt were a little wrinkled and out of place from the fooling around, but that didn’t matter.

“So you’re the famous Harry Potter?” she demanded of the boy with tousled dark hair on her bedroom floor. “You’d think you’d be courteous enough to mind your own business. What, you think just because you’re famous, you need to know everybody’s business?” She stared down at him, and he felt a little intimidated.

“N “ no,” he stammered. “I “ I “ I ““ But he never got farther than that, because Alanna had grabbed hold of his hair and tilted his head back.

“Don’t ever follow Draco again, and don’t ever come here again, or I will see to it that you are severely punished. Now LEAVE!” She let his head go, and it banged against the wall. Harry winced, and rubbed the spot as he rose to his feet.

“Leave, now,” Alanna said, pushing him toward the door. Her long red hair whipped him in the face as she turned and flounced toward her bed. Then Malfoy got hold of him.

“Potter, if you ever come near her again, I will kill you,” Draco hissed. “And don’t follow me, or I’ll have to inform my father. You know what that’ll be like.” He pushed Harry out the door and slammed it behind him.

Somehow, Harry had kept hold of his Invisibility cloak through the tussle. Now, he threw it over himself once more, and stomped down the stairs, knocking over a timid maidservant on the way down.


Back in Alanna’s room, she was fuming and raging around the room.

“Who does he think he IS?” she yelled, throwing a few books on the ground. Draco made a grab for her, but she evaded him. “I mean, come on. Just because he defeated Lord Voldemort, he should get to prance around, poking into everybody’s business? I DON’T THINK SO!”

Draco finally managed to grab her, but she was still shouting. He kissed her to shut her up. When they parted, she opened her mouth to rant some more, but he kissed her again.

“Okay,” Draco whispered. “I promise it won’t happen again. I’ll see to it personally. Now, where were we?”

Alanna smiled and pulled him down on the bed. “About right here, I think…”


After Alanna and Draco were done, they talked for a while. Draco mostly talked about Potter, what he was like and such.

“Well, I still think he’s terribly stuck up or “ well, I don’t know how to explain it,” Alanna said. “I don’t like him.”

Draco smiled and kissed her on her pert nose. “Good. Where would I be if you did?”

She laughed and hugged him. “I would never leave you,” she whispered. They kissed again.

“Do you want to go for a walk?” Draco asked suddenly. “Since your mother’s not here and everything…”

Alanna shook her head sorrowfully. “I can’t risk it “ only my servants will keep quiet. Hers won’t.”

“Oh, yeah…” said Draco. “Well, I should go. I don’t want to “ believe me, I don’t want to ““ he kissed her again. “But I have tons of homework due tomorrow.”

“Draco!” Alanna said, grabbing him as he turned to leave. He turned back.

“Yeah?” he asked, looking into her face.

She took a deep breath. “I, uh, I realized something last night after you left.” He nodded, and she went on. “Draco, I “ I love you.”

He smiled and bent down to kiss her, deep and long and hard. When they parted, he whispered, “I love you too, Alanna.”

She smiled, and despite her will, tears came to her eyes. One rolled down her cheek, and he wiped it away, smiling.

“Don’t cry, love,” he said. “Hopefully, we’ll never be apart. I’ll see you tomorrow, alright? Send me an owl if you’re ungrounded.”

She nodded, and they kissed. Then he was gone. Alanna lay back on her bed, and held her hand over her heart.

Her heart felt like it was going to explode, it was so full of happiness.

I hope nothing will ever come between us, she thought fiercely. I won’t let anything come between us.

Draco was thinking the same thing on the road back to Hogwarts.

As he walked up the castle steps, Harry Potter watched from the courtyard. A hate so fierce it bubbled in his veins burned in Harry.

He doesn’t deserve her, Harry thought angrily. She could do so much better than him.

Of course, Harry wasn’t thinking of himself.
Talking to Alanna by Daniela
Chapter 7
Talking to Alanna

Alanna woke in the middle of night and try as she might, she could not manage to go back to sleep, so she decided to just get up. She washed her face and cleaned her teeth, then pulled on an old white dress from the back of her closet.

As she did all this, she couldn’t stop thinking about what had happened yesterday, with Potter and Draco.

What was he doing here? What reason could he possibly have to follow Draco? she wondered as she chose shoes from her extensive collection. Like, there’s no reason, unless he thought Draco was up to something. But Draco wouldn’t do anything like that “ would he?

An involuntary shiver came over her, but she shrugged it off. Must be a draft, she thought and sat down in her armchair with a book, as she had nothing else to do. She was still on house arrest.

Later that morning, after she had read for a while, a knock came at the door, and Alanna rose to answer it. As she hurried across the room, her thoughts turned back to the Potter boy, and she slammed her knee into the sharp corner of her four poster bed.

“Ow! Dammit!” she growled. Clutching her knee, she hobbled across the room to open the door.

“Good morning, Alanna,” her mother said as she handed her a steaming plate. “May I talk to you for a minute?” She walked in as she talked and Alanna raised her eyebrow.

“Of course, Mum, why don’t you come in?” she asked wryly as she closed the door again.

Alanna gestured to her chair and sat down at her desk to eat. Her mother sat in the squishy green chair.

“Alanna, I’ve decided to take you off grounding,” her mother said, and Alanna stopped with her fork halfway to her mouth. She stared at her mother, speechless, for a full two minutes.

“Alanna? Hello?” her mother finally asked. “Are you quite all right?”

Alanna shook herself and smiled. “Yes, I’m fine. It’s just, I was surprised that you decided to take me off so early.”

Madam Rosmerta smiled. “Yes, well, I’d decided since you were so very good, and you didn’t do anything “ “ At this Alanna grimaced; thank goodness her mother didn’t know about Draco or she’d be in for it!

“- And you did your chores without complaining, that you’d learned your lesson,” Madam Rosmerta finished. Then a stern look came over her face. “But you are on probation. If you come home late one more time, you will be confined to your room again. Do you understand?”

Alanna nodded eagerly, then threw herself at her mother and hugged her tightly, with a squeal of delight. “Oh, thank you, thank you!” she cried.

Her mother stiffened at first, then relaxed and hugged her daughter closer. She had missed her so much in the two years past. Alanna felt her arms tighten and hugged her fiercely.

Before they knew it, they were crying. Alanna, because she felt guilty for betraying her mother and because she had missed her so much, and Madam, because she had missed Alanna, and just from pure emotion.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Alanna and her mother sniffed, and pulled away. Alanna rose to answer it, smoothing her crumpled skirts, as her mother rose also from the chair, smoothing her skirts as well.

“Yes?” Alanna asked briskly of the maid standing there. “What is it?”

The maid bowed nervously. “There is someone here to see you, milady,” she said timidly. “He says his name is Potter, and that you knew him.”

Alanna’s face whitened. She turned to her mother, who’s face was also somewhat paler than usual. Alanna shook her head and opened her mouth, but her mother held up a hand.

“I trust you now, Alanna, and I trust that you have not been seeing this boy behind my back,” Madam Rosmerta said softly. “Go. I will not interrogate you later.”

Alanna nodded. “Thank you. Could you tell him I’ll be right down?” The maid nodded and scurried away. Her mother followed, touching Alanna’s shoulder as she passed.

Alanna checked her face in the mirror, and gave it a quick rinse. She ran a comb through her hair, then descended the stairs. She didn’t hurry “ she needed time to think.

Why would Potter come here? He knows that I’m with Draco, and he knows how Draco feels about him, Alanna thought, biting her lip as she walked through the hallway. Didn’t yesterday show him anything? I don’t exactly want to see him.

Alanna sighed. “I guess I can’t exactly say go away “ that would be rude,” she murmured to herself. “I’ll just have to tell Draco.”

She entered the barroom and looked around for Potter. Harry was sitting at a small, discreet table in the corner. He spotted her and waved. She rolled her eyes, and strode over to the table, bringing along two bottles of Butterbeer.

“Hi,” he said when she arrived and sat down. “Thanks.” He took the bottle and opened it. She left her own untouched.

She broke the silence after a few minutes. “Well?” she demanded impatiently. “Why are you here? Don’t you have school?”

“Uh, yeah,” he replied. “But I wanted to talk to you.”

“About what?” she snapped. “Didn’t you get the feeling I don’t really like you, from yesterday?”

“Yeah,” he said slowly. “But I needed to talk to you “ about Malfoy.”

She grimaced. “What, you’re going to tell me he’s like, a Voldemort supporter or something? Please.”

Harry sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “Listen to me, Alanna. He’s dangerous “ I’m really not kidding. No, don’t roll your eyes,” he said as she did just that. “Look at me “ you have to believe me. Have you ever heard of Lucius Malfoy?”

“No. Should I have?” she asked. “Okay, what is this all about? Get to the point, Potter.”

He held up a hand. “I’m getting there, I’m getting there. Alright. Well, Lucius Malfoy is Draco’s father.”

“Duh,” Alanna replied. “So?” What is he talking about?

“Well, he is also a dangerous Death Eater, and one of Voldemort’s closest supporters. I just wanted to warn you.”

“Are you done?” Harry nodded. “So that’s all you came down to tell me? That my boyfriend’s father is a Death Eater?” Harry nodded again and she held her rage in with an effort. “Ok. I really think you should go, before I punch you. I seriously don’t care, as long as Draco isn’t one.”

Harry said quickly, “Well, you see, that’s the problem. We think he might be one.”

“Who’s WE?” Alanna demanded. “God, Potter, you are seriously getting on my nerves.”

“Well, if you’d let me talk! Anyway, WE means me, Ron and Hermione. They’re my friends.” Alanna’s eyes widened at the mention of Ron and Hermione.

“They’re “ they’re YOUR friends?” she exclaimed.

“Yeah. What’s it to you?” Harry asked quizzically.

“Uh, nothing. It’s just, well, I know them,” she said in a rush. “I sort of hit Ron in the head with an apple core. Didn’t they tell you?”

“No, I guess they forgot,” Harry said. “Well, it’s a small world, isn’t it? Anyway, if you hadn’t been screaming at me yesterday, I would think you were very nice. So I just wanted to warn you. Don’t dump him, whatever you do “ he might not take it well.”

Alanna, taken aback at what he had said, finally cooled down. “Thanks. I had no idea, but I’m not planning on dumping him “ I love him. And I won’t take it well either if he dumps me “ I am a redhead!” She laughed and Harry chuckled.

She smiled at him, and he felt like the bottom had dropped out of his stomach. “I would say, Let’s be friends, but I don’t think Draco would appreciate it. Thanks again, but I think you should go now “ my mother will be wondering and I have to go to the post office. Bye.” She rose and turned away.

She looked back at the door, but there was no one there. He must have brought the Invisibility cloak. She turned again and hurried to the post office to send Draco an owl, telling him she was ungrounded.


Meanwhile, Harry hurried back to Hogwarts. He had only skipped Charms, it was better than skipping Potions. He had already explained to Ron what he was doing, so left Ron to explain to Hermione. He would no doubt get a lecture when he got back, but somehow he didn’t care. All he could think about was Alanna.

I think I like her, Harry thought to himself. He sighed. How stupid am I, to fall in love with Draco Malfoy’s girlfriend? I can never have her, as long as he does. He’s a Death Eater “ she deserves better! She deserves me. He stopped and shook his head.

“But she’ll never want me as long as she’s with Draco. I could kill him, but then she’d hate me,” he said later to Ron in their dormitory, having managed to escape Hermione’s lecture for now.

“Mate, I wish you luck. Malfoy will kill you if you take her away from him. Too bad she didn’t care about his dad,” Ron answered lazily. “Or else this would’ve worked out perfectly.”

Harry nodded, then turned over and thought about Alanna for the rest of the time it took him to get to sleep. In the next bed, he heard Ron say, “Picked a good girl, though “ she is hot.” Harry smiled “ Ron would be thinking about that.

“What are you guys talking about?” asked Neville’s sleepy voice “ they had apparently woken him up.

“Nothing, Neville “ go back to sleep,” they chorused.

“Alright, then,” he said and Harry heard him and Ron start snoring.

It’s a hopeless crush, but I can still like her. I’ve just got to keep Malfoy from finding out, Harry thought with a smile. Then he finally drifted off to sleep.

A/N: Please read and review “ your reviews mean a lot!
Fight by Daniela
Chapter 8
Fight
Finally it was Friday again. Draco woke up and remembered this. He smiled, but then he remembered he had still neglected to do something about Potter.

“Little prick. Can’t believe he’d do that ““ Draco muttered as he went about getting ready for the day’s classes.

At long last, he was on his way to breakfast. He was still brooding about what to do to Potter, that he didn’t see Pansy Parkinson until she was right in front of him. She smiled at him and said, “Hello, Draco,” in a low, husky voice.

Oh crap, he thought. Well, this is just perfect. Great way to start out the day.

“So, what are you doing after supper, Draco?” Pansy asked, moving in closer to him. He backed away until he hit the wall.

Good job, Draco “ now you’re cornered, with no escape in sight, he chided himself. Now Pansy was right in his face, touching him.

Finally, after at least 3 years of this, Draco’s patience snapped. He hated her with a passion.

“Well, I certainly won’t be doing anything with you!” he snarled, and pushed her away. “Get out of my way!”

Pansy’s mouth dropped open, and she stood staring after him as he strode away down the hall.

“Well!” she huffed, turning and flouncing back to her room. “Catch me trying to do anything nice for HIM again!”



Meanwhile, Draco was hurriedly eating breakfast. His little episode with Pansy had made him later than he wanted to be. He was trying to make the day go quickly, so he could see Alanna sooner.

He was done, finally. He grabbed his bag, and strode off toward his first class, without waiting for Crabbe and Goyle, who stumbled to follow him, a full five minutes after he’d left.



Harry was also heading for his first class. He was still thinking about Alanna, and he was not looking where he was going. He slammed right into Malfoy coming from the opposite direction. Both of their bags and books went flying and landed in a heap on the opposite side of the hallway. For a finishing touch, one of Draco’s green bottles of ink smashed all over the books.

“Potter!” Draco snarled. “Look what you did! On top of spying on me? You are so in for an ass-kicking! Meet me at lunch break!”

“With pleasure!” Harry snarled back. They picked up their books, now dripping with green liquid, with a lot of shoving and insults being thrown. When everything was picked up, they parted ways, each striding off to their class with anger in their steps.



At lunch, Harry and Draco ate quickly, staring daggers at each other.

Hermione, fully fed up with this practice, finally smacked Harry in the back of the head.

“What are you doing?” she demanded, as he rubbed the back of his head.

Why does everyone always hit there? he wondered. Realizing Hermione was waiting for an answer, he said, “Malfoy’s an idiot.”

Hermione sighed. “No, really? What is going on?”

Harry sighed in turn. “We got in a little shoving match this morning, and he got ink all over my books.”

Hermione raised an eyebrow. “He got your books filthy, and that’s why you’re staring daggers at each other?”

Harry said, “Well, there’s more, which I told Ron. But we’re also having a fight.”

“Oooh! Fight!” Seamus shouted, loudly enough for the rest of the table to hear, but not the teachers. “Where, Harry? In the courtyard?”

Harry nodded. “But, Seamus-“

“In the courtyard!” Seamus shouted again. “Let’s go!”

All the people finished lunch shot out of the Great Hall and into the grounds. Harry groaned and dropped his head on the table, narrowly missing the butter.

Hermione tsked. Ron looked up from his plate, and asked, “What’s going on?” with his mouth full, of course.

“Swallow!” Hermione ordered. Ron, too surprised to do anything else, obeyed. “Thank you!” she said.

“Harry and Draco are having a fight,” she said, her voice dripping with disapproval.

“Really, Harry? Brilliant “ it’s about time that little git got some sense knocked into him!” Ron applauded. Harry smiled faintly.

“Well, I should probably go “ Malfoy’s already gone,” Harry said, and Ron nodded.

“Right, mate. Hang on two seconds, and I’ll come with,” Ron said.

“Ronald Weasley!” Hermione exploded. “I cannot believe you, encouraging this sort of thing! What is wrong with you?”

Ron stared at her. “Hermione, you yourself punched Malfoy. Wouldn’t you like to see someone else finish the job?”

“Well, it would be nice, but “ Ronald, that is not the point! Fighting does not solve anything, and “ “

“Hermione, shut it,” Ron said. “Come on, Harry.” They rose and left the Hall, leaving Hermione to splutter in peace.

Once out there, Harry was sure the whole school had turned out to see the fight. Suddenly, he had an idea.

He walked up to where Malfoy was standing, lazily twirling his wand.

“I’ve got a proposal for you,” Harry said, crossing his arms.

“What is it, Potter?” Malfoy asked, rolling his eyes.

“No wands,” Harry said. A look of panic rolled across Malfoy’s face, but was gone before Harry could be sure he’d seen it.

“Alright, then, Potter “ let’s go,” Malfoy said lazily, tossing his wand back into his pocket and throwing his robe to Crabbe. Harry threw his to Ron.

They circled while the crowd cheered. Suddenly, there was a commotion from the back. Professors McGonagall and Snape came out of the crowd.

“Potter, Malfoy, what do you think you’re doing?” Professor McGonagall said, standing between them.

“Professor, I believe Mr. Potter put Malfoy up to it,” Snape said silkily after conversing with Malfoy for a second. “At least, that is Malfoy’s story, and I am more inclined to believe his side.”

“Potter, is this true?” Professor McGonagall asked, whirling on Harry, who was outraged.

“No!” Harry exclaimed vehemently. “Malfoy put ME up to it!”

“Well, this will obviously go nowhere. Mr. Potter has decided to lie, so we will just settle it by giving you both detentions after classes. Report to me in the dungeons directly after dinner!” Snape barked, and he swept away.

“Five points from Gryffindor and Sytherin, for even believing that a fight could solve anything!” snapped Professor McGonagall, and she swept away also.

“Potter, we WILL pick this up tomorrow morning,” snarled Draco.

“Fine by me!” snapped Harry. They stalked off to their respective common rooms.



The next morning, Harry and Draco, fueled by anger, leapt out of their beds, and each dressed in record times. They both ran to the Great Hall.

Finally, they were outside again.

“We’re going to make this quick, Potter,” said Malfoy. “I have a Quidditch practice, and another appointment. Let’s go!”

“Fine!” snarled Harry. They began circling and another large crowd showed up.




Meanwhile, Alanna had just managed to duck out of work. Her mother had had to go somewhere until very late that evening. She bribed a few servants and decided to surprise Draco by showing up at the Castle.

Amazingly, she still had her old Hogwarts robes. And also amazingly, they still fit. She looked at herself in the mirror before she left and smiled wistfully.

I wish I could go back, she thought. I could be Draco, and we wouldn’t have to sneak around. But that’s impossible “ they’ll never let me back in. I don’t even know how long me and Draco are going to last now “ if his father’s like that, maybe Draco is, too. But I’ll cross that bridge when it comes. She straightened her shoulders and smiled proudly.

Her long blonde hair she had left loose, and it flowed down her back. She thought she was ready, so she ever so quietly slipped out her door. She crept down the stairs and out the back door, and was soon hurrying up the long roadway to Hogwarts.

Draco will be so surprised, she thought happily, and quickened her step.

Once at the gate, she ducked to the side as a teacher came out. It was Professor Sinistra, and Alanna would have dearly loved to have said hello, but she didn’t think it would go over quite so well.

When the professor was gone, Alanna peered around the corner, and seeing no one, started up the path confidently, like she belonged there and was doing nothing wrong.

She saw a large crowd gathered in the courtyard. They seemed to be circled around something “ or someone. She frowned.

She began pushing her way through the crowd. “Pardon me, excuse me,” she called as she worked toward the front. People automatically let her through, only stopping to wonder at who this beautiful girl was after she was gone.

At last, she reached the front. Her mouth dropped open when she recognized the two boys grappling.

Just then, Ron saw her, and he jumped, very surprised.

“What?” Hermione asked, her eyes still on the fight. He nudged her, and she looked up. Her eyes widened as she saw Alanna and she waved hesitantly.

Alanna saw them and waved back, then pointed at the boys, obviously asking, “What the hell?”

Hermione shook her head and motioned she didn’t know. Ron was trying to get Harry’s attention, but nothing was happening. He gave up, and Alanna stepped in.

“Draco! Harry! Stop it!” she shouted, overriding the crowd’s cheers and hisses. Slowly, everything quieted as everyone turned to stare at who had stopped the fight.

“What do you think you are doing?” she said, advancing on them step by step. “How idiotic “ no, how immature are you? Fighting? Are you not fifteen?”

“Alanna, I was just trying to defend you “ “ Draco started, but Alanna held up her hand.

“Draco, no, no. I am quite able to defend myself. I do not need your help. Very chivalrous of you, but please refrain from it in the future. And Harry “ “ he seemed to shrink in on himself as she turned her wrath to him.

“Why would you agree to this? I thought better of you, after our talk yesterday,” she said. She shook her head sadly. “I cannot believe this of either of you. Harry, go to your room. Draco, come with me. NOW!”

Surprisingly, in the face of her anger, they obeyed. They both dragged their feet though “ especially Draco.

“Let’s go!” she ordered when she was halfway across the yard and he was still coming slowly. “The sooner you get up here, the sooner your lecture is over, and we can have our date!” He sped up a little.

Ron and Hermione stared after Harry, then after Draco. Then they stared at each other.

“All right, then,” Hermione said. “That was “ odd. Didn’t she say she was expelled?”

Ron nodded. “Yeah. I guess she still had her old robes with her.” Hermione nodded.

“I guess so. Still, it’s very strange. I guess she couldn’t wait to see Draco, who is getting quite an earful now, it looks like.”

They looked toward the couple, where Alanna seemed to be winding down. Finally, they started out the gate, and all seemed to be sunshine and daisies again with them “ they were even holding hands. Draco looked a lot happier.

“I guess she forgave him,” Hermione said. Watching them, she saw they kissed, and she nodded. As much as she didn’t like Draco, she liked Alanna, and was glad she was happy with someone, even if it was Malfoy.

“Hey, Hermione, I was just thinking about something,” Ron said slowly. She looked at him and nodded for him to go on.

“Well, what’s Alanna? Is she pureblood?”

Hermione shrugged. “I don’t know. Why?”

“Well, what’s going to happen if she’s not, and Draco finds out?” Ron asked.

Hermione gasped. “Oh my gosh, you’re right. What’s going to happen? I don’t want her hurt.”

“I guess we could visit her tomorrow,” Ron said, shrugging. “Come on. We should go see Harry. He’s probably pretty upset.”

“Why? Because she stopped the fight? He probably didn’t even want to, anyway,” Hermione said as she followed Ron up the stairs.

He turned around. “Harry likes her.” He turned back around and continued on. Hermione frowned and hurried after him.

“Well, that’s not good. Should we do something?” she asked.

“What can we do, ‘Mione?” Ron said over his shoulder. “We just have to help him through it.”

“Well, that was an unexpected bit of wisdom,” muttered Hermione, and she hurried to catch up again.
The Explanation and the Promise by Daniela
Chapter 9
The Explanation and the Promise

“Well, I hope you learned your lesson, Draco,” Alanna said softly. “And I hope Harry did also. I don’t want that happening again “ do you understand me?”

They had been walking the deserted road leading out of Hogsmeade, and she stopped to take his face in her hands. Her blue eyes bored into his grey eyes. His eyes softened as they always did whenever she looked at him.

“Yeah, I promise I won’t do it again,” he said, and she smiled. They kissed and began walking again, just in silence. It was nice and peaceful.

Suddenly, totally out of the blue, Draco asked, “Hey, Alanna? Why were you expelled?”

Her eyes widened, and she looked at him again. “Where did that come from? But, are you sure you want to know?”

“Shouldn’t I know, if we’re going out?” he asked reasonably. She nodded.

“Good point. Well, it’s a little hard to talk about. But here goes. Alright. I was expelled in my fourth year. I had been hanging out with a group of well, questionable characters. They started rumors, vicious rumours, about people and really hurt those people.

They also hurt the students emotionally and physically. I never started any rumors, but I also didn’t do anything to stop them. I just hung out with the group, and occasionally I would laugh at their antics. I never beat people, but I also didn’t tell the group to stop it. I did nothing. I felt so guilty, but I didn’t have any other friends, so I just let it go, telling myself it wasn’t important. Unfortunately, it turned out that stopping them would have been very well advised.

“There was this one girl, Miriam Baxter. They especially liked to make fun of her, and she was one of their regular victims for beatings. I’m not trying to be mean, but she was rather, well, homely. She was in the year above us, but she was weak. In her childhood, an illness had crippled her, and nothing could be done, somehow. I don’t know the specifics “ I never took the time to find out. She had a twin “ she could have told her, but she didn’t tell anyone. Neither did I.” Draco wanted to hold her, but somehow he knew it wouldn’t help her right now. She had to get it out, and he had to let her.

She took a deep breath. “They took to making up new rumors almost every day. They also beat her weekly. And she was crippled “ how could I have not done something? I was blind “ I wanted to keep these so-called friends, so I turned my head and refused to see the facts. Well, one week, they converged on her for her weekly beating. They took her bag, and started tossing it above her head. It always started out as not that bad, but as they went along, it got worse.”

Tears had come into Alanna’s eyes and were choking her up. Draco now felt it safe to put an arm around her. They had stopped and sat on a rock by the side of the road. She smoothed her old robes over her legs. She took a wavering breath, then continued.


“Eventually, they moved on to shoving her while throwing insults at her. Thank god I wasn’t there. I had detention. They continued like this for a while, and generally this was as far as they’d go. They’d give her one last shove, one last punch, one last insult, and they’d leave her crumpled on the ground. Leaving her to hobble back to her common room.

“But that day, the ringleader was feeling particularly vindictive. She had gotten a better mark than he had on a test in Transfiguration that day. He was in the same year as her. Before, he had also been the best student in the year. Although I don’t know where he found time to study. I don’t know how they managed to keep all the beatings, all the insults, secret from Dumbledore, but they did, and I helped by not telling anyone anything. At any rate, he was angry “ his father had given him a knife for a going away present. His parents didn’t know about everything either, or they would never have been so stupid as to give it to him. He always had it on him “ using it at every ample opportunity. Showing it off.

“Well, he decided to give her a scare. He pulled it on her. This was when I walked in. He was threatening her with it, and she began to cry. Finally, I couldn’t take it anymore “ I yelled for him to stop. She hadn’t been expecting anyone; she’d thought she was all alone in her troubles, so she jumped in startlement “ unfortunately, she jumped forward. Right onto the unsheathed knife. It went hilt deep, Draco “ buried in her chest. All because I had made her jump.” She let out a hoarse rasping sob and buried her face in his chest. He held her for a while, letting her cry herself out.

How many times has she cried over this? How many nights? he wondered as he held her close.

Finally she was cried out “ for now. She continued, although Draco tried to deter her.

“No, Draco, let me talk. Just, be quiet, alright, love? After she “ impaled “ herself, the group ran for it, obviously. She didn’t even cry out. They left me staring at her body on the ground, with that guy’s knife in her. Suddenly, her twin came running “ you know about twins’ connections. She just knew. She came running down the hall and saw her sister on the ground, dead, with a knife in her. She looked from Miriam to me, then threw herself at me, screaming like a banshee. She’d taken the knife to be mine and that I’d killed her. I was surprised they hadn’t used magic to kill her. Anyway, that’s when the teachers came. Snape, McGonagall, and Sprout. The twins were in Hufflepuff, and she was their Head of House. They took me to the Headmaster’s office, where Snape wouldn’t let off accusing me. I know he’s your Head of House, but I hate him so much.”

“Sometimes he’s not the best person in the world,” Draco murmured. “He can be a real jerk.”

Alanna continued. “They wouldn’t believe I hadn’t done it. Dumbledore was away on business overnight only “ but it was enough. I think I would have been let off if Dumbledore had been there. But they acted on their eyes’ evidence. Not even McGonagall believed me. I don’t know why “ maybe it was because it was one of her first times acting as Deputy Headmistress, but I doubt it. I mean she’s been around for a long time. Well, Snape, you can imagine. Sprout was so angry, I’ve never seen her like that “ she wouldn’t believe me, she just kept screaming. It was awful. They expelled me and the ringleader, once they’d found him. No offense to you, like, I love you, but I hate your House. All that group was in Slytherin, except for one from Ravenclaw. By the time Dumbledore got back, I was already gone, and so was that lunatic. I can’t even say his name, I hate him so much. Dumbledore was furious, apparently. They got in a lot of trouble, the teachers “ at least, that’s what I heard, from rumors and such. But he couldn’t do anything “ he had to let me go. I wouldn’t have come back, anyway. Oh, when I got home, my mother screamed all night. There are no words to describe how she felt. I was finally sent to my room to ‘think’ about what I’d done. At that point, I seriously considered killing myself. It was all my fault. I wrote a suicide note “ I worked on it all night.”

At that, Draco pulled her away from him. “Alanna, it was not your fault whatsoever. It wasn’t. How were you to know she would jump forward? Don’t believe that. You better have gotten rid of that note, too. If you haven’t, burn it, or I will do it for you.”

Alanna gave him a watery smile, although it was hard. He kissed her and she snuggled into him again and continued. Her story was almost done.

“Well, after considering it, and after figuring out that I wanted to live, just not there, I just packed a few clothes, my money and a few possessions, and I disappeared. It was like, one o’clock in the morning. I had no idea what I was doing or where I was going “ I’d never been exposed much to the Muggle world. But I ran to London, and I worked there for a while, once I got the hang of things. It was hard to get used to doing things without magic “ but they had broken my wand, after all. I spent a night on the streets “ I don’t ever want to go through that again. My job was a low paying waitressing job. At the beginning of this year, in February I think, I couldn’t pay the rent, so I got kicked out of my boardinghouse. I had a boyfriend, so I stayed with him for a while. But he tried to force me into bed, so I left him. I wandered around. Then I came back here two years after everything “ I was sure my mother would have cooled down by now, so I asked for a job, and I got it. I don’t even know why she gave it to me “ I was sure I’d be turned out and left to fend for myself. But I wasn’t. And I found you. That’s it.” She closed her eyes, trying to block out the memories.

“Alanna, I don’t know what to say. Who really does in this situation?” Draco said softly. “All I can do is hold you. But know that you can trust me “ I won’t tell anyone if you don’t want them to know.”

“Thank you. Do you know I really do love you?” Alanna whispered. “And I hope you love me also.”

“I do, Alanna,” he said, kissing her again. When they finally parted, she bit her lip. She did this when she was thinking about something, so Draco asked her what was in her thoughts.

“I need to ask you a favour,” she said. “I know you’re not going to enjoy it, but I need this.”

“Anything for you, love,” he said. “Just ask me.”

“I want you to tell “ well, Harry for me,” she said quickly. She felt him stiffen and said, “Draco, please. He came to talk to me yesterday, and we became friends. We straightened out everything that happened, and please don’t, well, yell at him or anything. I can’t tell anyone again what happened, so I need you to be strong for me, and get past your pride. He needs to know “ he’s a friend. I know he’s not yours, but please, Draco?”

He sighed and nodded. “I love you, and I’d do anything for you,” he said. “Even talking to Potter civilly.”

“Thank you,” she said. Suddenly, she remembered her talk with Harry the day before, one thing in particular, and she stiffened in turn.

“What is it?” he asked in concern. “What’s wrong?”

“Well, when Harry came to talk to me, he said that your father was, well, a Death Eater,” she said hesitantly. “He said you might follow in his footsteps. It was just a warning, Draco, but I need to know if you are planning to. Are you?”

“No, Alanna,” Draco said, staring into the distance as he answered, not looking at her. “I’ll try not to “ but I may not have a choice. If he tries to force me, I will tell you, because I will run. And I’ll have to leave you.”

“Draco, no,” Alanna cried. She clutched his arm. “Don’t let him get you “ if something happened to you, I truly would kill myself.”

He turned her around suddenly and shook her. “Don’t you ever say that again, do you hear me? NEVER. You will not kill yourself because of me. Promise me, Alanna. Promise!”

The fierceness in his eyes convinced her that he did love her, and he didn’t want anything to happen to her. Faced with that love, she couldn’t do anything but promise. “I promise, Draco, I promise,” she whispered barely audibly. “But I will love you forever.”

“And I will love you… forever,” he said. They kissed, long and hard, and Alanna felt the surge through her veins that was her passion for him. She never wanted to let him go… ever. She didn’t know what would happen to her, her heart, if he did have to run.



A/N: Well, that was a bit longer than most, and a lot deeper. But I hope all the readers enjoyed it, and please leave reviews “ they mean a lot!! Daniela
Draco's Choice by Daniela
Chapter 10 - Draco’s Decision

It had been two weeks since Alanna had told Draco her story. Draco was just waking up on the Saturday morning after and he stretched. He lay there in his bed savoring the fact that he didn’t have to get up. Then he remembered that today was another Hogsmeade trip, and he would get to see Alanna.

He got up and got dressed in black trousers and a black shirt. He cleaned his teeth and slicked back his hair, then went down to the common room. It was still pretty early, and no one was there. He left the common room and hurried down to the Great Hall.

There wasn’t a significant amount of people in the hall, either, and Draco was almost alone at the Slytherin table, except for a few first years. They kept casting nervous glances at him, but he ignored them and spooned some cereal into his mouth.

Just as more of the students filed into the hall, still yawning and rubbing their eyes, the post arrived. Draco automatically looked up, but didn’t see his father’s eagle owl anywhere, so looked back down. He jumped in surprise when an owl swooped down to him and deposited a letter in front of his plate. It was a nondescript brown barn owl, thus Draco had no idea where it had come from.

He untied the letter, and gave the bird a bit of toast. As the bird hooted in gratitude and took flight, Draco unrolled the piece of parchment. His face paled as he read the contents, and as more Slytherins joined him, he hastily rolled it back up and stuffed it in his cloak.

Crabbe and Goyle sat beside him, but Draco didn’t stay. He mumbled something about having some business to take care of, and hurried off. He left them staring stupidly after him, their spoons in their mouths.

God, they’re idiots, he thought. He reached the common room and gave the password: “Pure Blood,” and rushed up to his dormitory. He sat on his green coverlet, and pulled the letter out of his pocket. He read it again, hoping against hope that he had somehow misunderstood his father’s orders.

Draco,

I trust you knew this day was coming. The day in which you would be inducted into the congregation of the Dark Lord’s followers.

You will meet me beside the lake at midnight tomorrow night. I trust you are a Prefect, so there will be no trouble with you being out of the dormitory after hours.

You will bring nothing and no one with you. You are to be escorted to a meeting by me, to be introduced to the Dark Lord and to receive his Mark. You are now of an age to execute my plan.

He is looking forward to meeting you, and I am looking forward to having you, my son, follow in my footsteps.

Do not report this to anyone, or there will be grave consequences.

Remember “ beside the lake tomorrow night. Do not be late.

Your father


Draco folded the parchment over and over, his hands shaking, as he thought about what he could do to escape this; but he could think of nothing. He could see no way out.

What am I going to do? he thought wildly. I can’t go. I don’t want to follow the Dark Lord. But if I refuse, Father will probably put me under the Imperius curse. I know he can do it. Then I won’t be able to refuse him.

He looked down at the letter in his hand, then rose and went swiftly down the stairs to the common room. He threw the letter into the fire as he passed, then exited the room. He would talk to Alanna “ he had told her what he would do if his father tried this “ but he had changed his plans a bit.

**



Alanna started at a knock on the kitchen door. She looked around to make sure no one else was in the room, then crossed to the door and opened it.

“Draco?” she asked as he gave her a kiss on the cheek. She stepped outside and closed the door behind her. “I thought we weren’t doing anything today until later.”

“I have to tell you something,” he said urgently, but quietly. “Will you come on a walk with me?”

“Of course, just let me tell my mother,” she said, turning to go back inside. “I’ll be right back.”

She found her mother in the barroom, behind the bar. “Mum!” she called. She squeezed past a few customers and finally reached her mother.

Her mother turned to look at her quizzically. “What is it, Alanna?” she asked as Alanna reached her side.

Alanna smiled at a customer that she knew well and then turned back to her mother. “I just wanted to let you know I’m going to go on a walk to get some fresh air. Do you mind?”

“No, no, have fun, dear,” her mother said after some contemplation. “But be back in a hour “ I’ll need you to take over the bar then.”

“Yes, ma’am, I’ll be back,” Alanna promised. “Thank you!” She added as she squeezed past the customers again, and finally emerged into the kitchen. She opened the door and found Draco waiting for her, looking a little impatient.

“I can go,” she said, and he grabbed her hand without saying anything and set off. She opened the back gate and they walked down the road to their spot.

It was now well into fall. Leaves carpeted the sides of the road, and Alanna and Draco climbed a small hillock to sit on a bed of leaves.

When they were settled, she turned to him. “Draco, what’s so urgent that you had to talk to me right away?”

He looked into her eyes, and said, “You remember when I told you if my father tried to force me to do anything, I would run, right?”

Alanna’s heart began to beat faster, and the colour drained out of her face, but she managed to say, “Yes.”

He moved a tendril of blonde hair out of her face, and said, “I have to go.”

“What did he do?” she whispered, her blue eyes wide. He told her the contents of the letter shortly and waited for her reaction.

She looked up at him, and said in a falsely calm voice, “So you’re leaving then?” He nodded, and leaned down to kiss her. The tears began falling down her face, no matter how she tried to stop them, and he kissed them away.

“Alanna, do you know what I’m going to do?” he asked softly, raising her face. She shook her head. “I’m going to the Ministry with my information.”

“You are?” she asked. A light came into her eyes. “You’re turning him in?”

“That’s right,” he said. “The fact that I can give his name, and that he owns all these illegal items, and that he’s performed at least the Imperius curse, will be enough to get him locked away somewhere.”

“Like Azkaban?” she asked hopefully. Draco smiled at her, and nodded.

“Probably,” he answered.

She kissed him, and said, “I would go with you, but I can’t. My mum needs me…” Her voice trailed off and she looked up into his eyes. “I’ll miss you and I’ll be waiting for you.”

He kissed her deeply. “I love you,” he said softly, and kissed her one last time. “I have to go,” he said. “I have to get out of here before tomorrow. No one can know about this, in case it gets back to the professors. Don’t tell anyone, please.”

“I won’t, I promise. And I love you. Please be careful,” she said. He nodded and got up. He walked away down the road. She watched him until he was out of sight.

When he was gone, Alanna got up. She was supposed to go back to the pub to work, and the talk hadn’t taken as long as it had seemed to. She turned to go back to the pub, but decided to take a shortcut she had discovered a few weeks ago.

**

Draco hurried up the road to Hogwarts, willing himself not to turn around for one last look at Alanna. He knew that if he looked back, he’d never be able to leave her.

He finally reached the front steps, and bounded up them. He hastened to his dormitory, staying out of sight of the teachers. He didn’t think he would be questioned about his presence when everyone else was in Hogsmeade, but there was no use taking chances.

He finally reached his common room, and dashed up the stairs to his room. He checked to make absolutely sure there was no one there, and grabbed his broomstick from where it rested against the wall. He flung open a window, and surveyed the grounds. There was no one except Hagrid, who was heading out the gates. He waited for him to trundle away, then climbed up onto the windowsill.

He took a deep breath and swung a leg over his broomstick carefully, so he wouldn’t fall. He ducked his head and kicked off, soaring above the castle quickly and passing above the grounds. He bent low over the broom and urged it to go faster. He needed to get there as quickly as possible. He wouldn’t be surprised if Lucius was watching him right now.

**

Draco touched down in a back alley near the old, battered telephone box that served as the city entrance to the Ministry of Magic. He stashed the broom behind a Dumpster.

I hope no one saw me “ that would be bad, he thought fervently as he slipped from shadow to shadow to avoid being seen. He finally reached the telephone box, and slipped inside.

The booth was very cramped, so Draco held the receiver above his head, and dialed the combination his father had entered so many times with Draco accompanying him: 3-5-8-7.

“Welcome, Mr. Malfoy. Please present yourself and your wand at the security desk,” the monotone female voice said as a badge rattled into the coin return slot. It read only: “Malfoy.”

The telephone box began to descend below the street level of Muggle London. It became very dark inside the booth.

When the box finally reached the Atrium, the doors opened, and the voice said, “Have a nice day.”

Draco stepped out and went to the security desk. Eric, the security wizard, searched him and took his wand. While he did this, Draco looked around him. He had been here so many times; the place was very familiar. He just hoped his father wasn’t here. If he got caught, he would be in very hot water.

“You’re done, youngster,” Eric said gruffly. “Off you go. Don’t stray.”

Draco rolled his eyes. “I won’t, Eric,” he said, and moved off. He hurried to the lifts and waited for one. One finally came, and he moved aboard quickly.

As the lift rose, it stopped at every floor, and that same cool voice announced the floor and purpose. Draco waited for what seemed like forever until the cool voice announced, “Level 1 “ Minister of Magic’s Offices.”

Draco hurried off just as the lift doors snapped shut. He turned and found himself in a small reception office. He stepped forward hesitantly, and the receptionist looked up.

“Yes?” she asked kindly, looking at him over her glasses. “Can I help you?”

“Uh, yes,” Draco said. “I’m here to talk to the Minister. My name is Draco Malfoy.”

“Do you have an appointment?” she asked, opening a book. She closed it when he shook his head.

“I have some important information to disclose,” he said carefully, trying not to give away more than he had to.

She nodded. “However, no one gets in to see the Minister without an appointment.”

“Could you just ask him?” Draco asked. “Tell him I’m Lucius Malfoy’s son.”

The receptionist shook her head, but picked up the phone. “Don’t get your hopes up,” she warned. “Just because you’re someone’s son “ Oh, hello Minister. There’s a young man here to see you “ he says he’s Lucius Malfoy’s son.”

Her eyebrows shot up past her white hairline. “All right, Minister. I’ll send him in straightaway.”

She set down the phone, her eyebrows still raised. “Well, he says he’ll see you now. Go on in.” She nodded toward the heavy double doors at the other end of the room.

“Thank you,” he said politely, and squared his shoulders. He had wished that the Minister would be occupied, so he would have some time to compose himself, but he would just have to grin and bear it.

His hands shaking, he reached for the doorknob and turned it. Suddenly, he had a terrible thought. What if Father’s in there? he thought, panicking. It’s too late to back out now. He walked into the office and closed the door behind him.

“Draco! How are you?” Cornelius Fudge, the Minister of Magic, exclaimed, rising from behind his desk. “How’s your father?” He caught Draco’s hand in a warm handshake.

“He’s fine, sir,” Draco replied, forcing himself to sound upbeat.

“Sit, sit!” cried Fudge, gesturing toward a chair while he sat back behind his desk. “What did you need to see me about?”

Draco swallowed hard. He ran a hand through his hair; by this time it was shaking like mad. “Well, I have some information to disclose, actually,” he said. “It’s about my father.”

Fudge’s eyes narrowed, but he nodded for Draco to continue. Draco took a very deep breath, and clenched his hands together to stop the trembling.

“Some of this may sound entirely insane, because of my father’s status here, but can I assure you this is all true.” Draco took in another long breath and then sighed. “He is a Death Eater, and has tried to force me to become one. In fact, I was supposed to meet him tomorrow, to go to a meeting, and receive the Mark. He also has illegal, Dark items under our drawing room floor. I am assured that he has practiced at least the Imperius Curse “ I was a witness to that.”

“Lucius Malfoy, a Death Eater?” Fudge asked, his eyes wide. “But “ he has made such generous donations to the Ministry. He has never been deemed suspicious.”

“Believe me, he is,” Draco said grimly. “If he knew I was here, I am sure he would not hesitate to perform one of the Unforgivable curses on me. I have seen him perform the Imperius curse on someone. I don’t know who, but it was at our manor.”

“I cannot believe this,” Fudge said wildly. “He has been privy to many discussions of supreme secrecy. Has he been relaying everything to You-Know-Who?”

“Most likely,” Draco said.

“Wait,” Fudge said. “He couldn’t have. You Know Who has not risen again. The only people your father could have been relaying anything to “ if, indeed, your story is to be believed “ are other Death Eaters. And they have not said a thing, or tried anything.”

Oh, crap, he doesn’t think Voldemort’s back, Draco thought as Fudge began to laugh. How do I make him believe me?
“Minister, please call someone from the correct Department. I am willing to speak under the influence of Veritaserum, and then you will know for certain I am not lying,” Draco said hastily. “Please.”

Fudge looked at him for a long moment, then nodded. “Alright. Just to make absolutely sure you are telling the truth.”

He called to the receptionist to call someone up.

**

When the designated wizard arrived with the Veritaserum, Draco was almost wringing his hands with nervousness. Fudge stood up, and boomed, “Ah, welcome, Scott. I called you here because young Mr. Malfoy has some information that I would like to verify. Draco, please sit down.”

Draco sat back in the chair he had vacated when Scott had entered.

“Now, don’t be nervous,” Scott said as he unstoppered the vial of Veritaserum. “We’re not going to ask you your innermost secrets “ just those about your father!”

Draco nodded, and squeezed his eyes shut and opened his mouth. Scott poured it down and his voice took on a harder tone.

“Draco Malfoy,” he asked as Fudge looked on from the shadows. “What information do you have to disclose about Lucius Malfoy?”

Draco opened his mouth, and words poured out before he could stop them. He told them about all the Death Eater meetings that had been held at the manor itself, and about all the Dark artifacts under the drawing room floor. He spoke of the time he had witnessed his father perform the Imperius and Cruciatus Curses on a wizard he didn’t know.

When he had spoken himself out, his head sagged against the back of the chair. Fudge came out of the shadows and nodded decisively.

“Thank you, Scott,” he said curtly. He turned to the open door. “Maggie, please call a squad from the Department of Magical Law Enforcement “ we are going to Malfoy Manor.”

Draco heard Maggie answer in the affirmative, then Fudge turned back to him.

His voice was much kinder and not as hysterical now. “Draco, do you feel well enough to get yourself as far as the Leaky Cauldron?”

Draco nodded feebly. Fudge smiled. “Well, I suggest you head to there. You are not in peak condition, so I do not think you will be able to make the trip back to Hogwarts. Do you have sufficient funds?”

Draco nodded, and Fudge clapped him on the shoulder as he rose. He found himself to be a little woozy.

“Good luck. Thank you for your information, son.”

Draco roused himself enough to answer, “You’re welcome, Minister. I hope the information was sufficient. If you don’t mind, I wish to be excused.”

“Good boy,” Fudge said. “Take care of yourself!”

Draco took the lift down to the Atrium, and quickly flooed to the Leaky Cauldron. He would stay there for now. His father would never look for him there. He had never set foot in the place, and assumed Draco never would either.

He assumes too much, Draco thought grimly. He emerged from the fireplace in the Leaky Cauldron and found Tom, the innkeeper. He asked for a room and was quickly escorted to one.

“Here you are, young master,” said Tom creakily, and he bowed low, and then left. Draco closed the door, locked it, and flopped down on the bed. He was exhausted and trembling. His eyelids dropped and opened again, and then they dropped again. This time, they stayed down, and Draco fell into a deep sleep, brought on by exhaustion and fear.


**

When he woke, it was dark, and about six o’clock. Someone must have noticed I’m gone, he thought as he yawned and stretched. They can’t do anything about it, though, if they did notice “ I’m long gone, and I can’t go back until it’s safe.

He jumped up when he heard a noise, only to find an owl pecking at the glass of his window. It had a letter with the official seal of the Ministry. Draco leapt to the window, and flung it open. He grabbed the letter and the owl flew away.

He unrolled it and found a short note from Fudge.

Mr. Draco Malfoy,

We have successfully arrested Mr. Lucius Malfoy, and he is even now being escorted to Azkaban Prison. We applied Veritaserum to Mr. Malfoy, and he confirmed everything you said.

Thank you for your information “ it was greatly appreciated.

Your mother is still at Malfoy Manor. I suggest you go to see her.

Sincerely,
Cornelius Fudge
Minister of Magic


Draco folded up the letter and put it in his pocket, smiling. He got up and smoothed the bedcovers, and his tousled hair. He grabbed the small bag of money he kept in his pocket, and went downstairs to find Tom.

“Thanks, Tom,” he smiled as he handed over the money for the room. “I’ll see you.”

Tom nodded. “All right, young master,” he croaked. “Have a good night.”

Draco waved on his way out the door. He headed to Malfoy Manor, detouring slightly to grab his broomstick from the alley he had left it in.


**

He finally arrived at his home, and quietly opened the big doors. He slipped inside and went to find his mother.

He found her in the master bedroom. He had expected her to be crying, but she wasn’t. She was dry-eyed, and calm. She was staring at her mirror as she sat in front of it, obviously lost in thought.

“Mother?” he asked tentatively. She gasped and whirled.

“Draco?” she asked. “What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be at school?”

“I came to do some business,” he said, hesitating to tell her he was the one who had turned his father in.

But she guessed. “You turned your father in,” she said flatly.

He nodded. “Mother, I’m sorry, but I didn’t want anyone else to be hurt by him. I’m sorry.”

She shook her head and smiled faintly. “It’s quite all right, Draco. I understand that you had to do this. It was just quite a shock when the Minister came barging in!”

Draco impulsively sprinted forward and wrapped his mother in a hug. She stiffened, then hugged him back, stroking his hair.

“We’ll get through this, Mum,” he said. She nodded, and they went downstairs to talk.


**

After he had caught her up on all that happened, she shook her head. “I’m proud of you for being so brave,” she told him. “He could have caught you.”

“I know,” Draco said. “But he didn’t.”

“No, he didn’t,” Narcissa said, smiling.

There was a moment of comfortable silence, and Draco found the urge to tell his mother about Alanna. He didn’t know how to start, but she soon solved the problem.

“So, any girls at school?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

He flushed and she laughed. It was the first time in a very long time he had heard her truly laugh. It was the first time in his life he had been able to talk to her so openly and cheerfully. It was like she had been a prisoner all these years, and was only now free.

“So, tell me about her!” Narcissa exclaimed.

“Her name’s Alanna,” he said, blushing even more furiously. Narcissa nodded.

“She doesn’t go to Hogwarts anymore,” he said. This was the part he wasn’t sure she’d like.

Narcissa frowned. “What do you mean? Does she go somewhere else?”

“She got expelled,” he said. Before his mother could say anything, he said, “But it wasn’t her fault. She was wrongly accused.”

Narcissa faltered for a moment, then nodded. “I believe you. Well, how do you feel about her?”

“Very strongly,” he said, and his gaze turned inward as he thought about Alanna. “She’s beautiful, kind, she has a sense of humor, and she loves me.”

Narcissa smiled softly. “And you love her,” she said quietly. Draco nodded slowly, refusing to look at her.

“Don’t be embarrassed,” she said. “I’d like to meet her. Would you care for me to escort you back to Hogwarts?”

Draco nodded, and said, “That’d be great.” They hugged again, and his mother kissed him on the top of the head.

“We’ll leave in the morning,” she said. “Go to bed now. We all need to get over this shock.”

**

The next morning, Narcissa woke Draco up early and they had a quick breakfast. She led him to the fireplace in the master bedroom.

“I had a feeling you wouldn’t want to see the drawing room,” she said gently, and he nodded gratefully. She handed him some powder, and he stepped into the fire, and said clearly, “Hogwarts!” She did the same a few moments later.


They emerged in Dumbledore’s office. Unbeknownst to Draco, Narcissa had sent Dumbledore an owl explaining everything, and he was expecting them.

“Welcome back, Mr. Malfoy,” he said, rising from his chair. “I trust you had an…exciting trip.”

Draco nodded ruefully.

**

Draco dragged his mother down to the Three Broomsticks. “Come on,” he urged.

“Draco, how do you know the poor girl’s even up?” Narcissa laughed.

“She always gets up early when she has to work,” he replied shortly. They finally reached the pub, and he threw the door open.

Alanna jumped and turned. The dishcloth she held fell from her hands as her mouth dropped open.

“D-draco?” she stammered. Then she squealed. “Draco!” She threw herself at him, and he swung her around.

She suddenly noticed the elegant woman beside him, and he set her down. She smoothed her dress and looked at Draco.

Before he could say anything, Narcissa extended her hand. “Hello. I’m Narcissa, Draco’s mother. You must be Alanna.”

Alanna nodded, and took the extended hand. It was warm and Narcissa’s eyes twinkled.

“Hello,” Alanna said shyly.

“Don’t be shy,” Narcissa said, smiling kindly. “I think we’ll be great friends.”

Alanna grinned. “I’m sure we will.”

THE END



A/N: Wow, it’s over! I hope you enjoyed everything. I’ll be writing more fics, so please keep an eye out for those!!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=4878