A Potter and a Riddle by Sophie_McKinsley
Summary: Katherine had lived with Ms. Evans as long as she could remember. She'd went to a Muggle school as a child and Ms. Evans had began teaching her magic when she was twelve. Katherine didn't know why Ms. Evans wouldn't let her go to a proper wizarding school or have wizarding friends; Katherine just thought she was batty. It had been a happy, peaceful life. But now at age seventeen, the Dark Lord has finally caught up with them.

Please review!
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 29312 Read: 25937 Published: 04/17/06 Updated: 06/18/09

1. Never the Same by Sophie_McKinsley

2. A New Start by Sophie_McKinsley

3. School Starts by Sophie_McKinsley

4. What’s Left of What Was by Sophie_McKinsley

5. Rows, Suspicion, and Secrets by Sophie_McKinsley

6. Keeping Quiet by Sophie_McKinsley

7. An Abrupt Lesson by Sophie_McKinsley

8. The Burrow by Sophie_McKinsley

9. In the Dark by Sophie_McKinsley

Never the Same by Sophie_McKinsley
“Katherine,” someone was shouting. “Katherine, Katherine, wake up.” The shouts were getting louder. Katherine turned over in her sleep, dreaming once again of the terrifying hooded figure. “Katherine, run, run.” The yelling was getting closer. “Remus! Remus!”

Who was that? Katherine thought as she dreamed. Suddenly Ms. Evans was shaking her, begging her to wake up. Katherine finally woke up.

“What is it?” she said groggily.

“It’s him! He’s here. Get up, now,” Ms. Evans whispered before shouting, “Remus! Remus!”

“Who in the world is…” but she was cut short by a man Apparating into her room.

“What is it, Virginia?” the man asked quietly.

“He’s here. You take Katherine and Apparate somewhere safe.”

“I can’t leave you Virginia. Dumbl…”

“No,” she interrupted calmly. “I don’t have enough strength. Just go.”

“But I…”

“Just GO!” She was tired of arguing. The man grabbed Katherine’s arm and Katherine took his shoulder.

“Goodbye, my angel,” Ms. Evans said to Katherine softly, with a tear in her old eyes. “Be good.”

“I will. Goodbye Auntie,” Katherine said, trembling, and held up her right hand to wave.

Before another word was said, she and the man called Remus Disapparated. She tightened her grip as everything turned black. Apparition, at least Side-Along Apparition, was very uncomfortable, but she was used to it from some of her trips with Ms. Evans. Soon they appeared on a street somewhere on the outskirts of a city. The man showed her a slip of paper that said,

“#12 Grimmauld Place,
The Headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix”


Katherine glanced up at him with a confused look on her face. He grinned and pointed up at the house numbers. She turned her head to look at them: on one side, the house number read eleven, and on the other, thirteen. She thought about it for a second and then looked directly in between them. A few seconds later, there stood number Twelve Grimmauld Place. The man led her to the front door and straight inside. He walked her down the entrance hall and down some stairs into a kitchen. In the middle of a long table sat two very red-headed people, a man and a woman, talking to each other in worried voices. At the far end of the table sat an older woman, very stern looking. The man who had been leading her pulled a chair out for her and she sat down.

“My name is Remus Lupin,” he began, as the plump red-haired woman sat a glass of milk in front of her. “This is Arthur and Molly Weasley, and this is Minerva McGonagall,” he said, introducing the others at the table. “This is the headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix…”

“Yes, I know that. It said it on that piece of paper,” she interrupted, more out of nervousness than impatience.

“We fight against Voldemort. Virginia was also a member, though she played a more out-of-sight role for us,” he continued, watching her face carefully to make sure she understood. “A few months ago Albus Dumbledore, our leader, was killed. He knew Virginia quite well. He was the one who sent you to live there.”

“Why would he have to? She was my closest living relative. Wouldn’t I have gone there anyway?” Katherine asked, getting confused for the first time by his explaination.

“You see, there is something you don’t know…”

“There are many things I don’t know, but don’t you think I know where I came from?” she asked, her temper and voice rising.

“No,” Remus said calmly, smiling comfortingly at her as she sat back down in her chair, which she didn’t remember leaving. Speechless from shock and she could only stare blankly at this man. He must be crazy, she thought and turned to the other people at the table expecting” no, hoping” that they would tell her he was joking. However when she found no answers in their eyes, she turned back to Remus all of her questions written on her face.

“There is no way I can successfully tell you the whole thing. That is why I am so thankful for Dumbledore’s forethought in this matter,” he continued as he pulled out a shallow stone basin with carvings around the edge. It was giving off a silvery light.

“That’s a Pensieve,” she said, glad for something familiar.

“That’s right. And in this Pensieve is a specific memory Dumbledore gave himself, telling you about your past, your real past.” He touched his wand to the contents of the Pensieve and moved it around for a second.

“Ahh, here it is. Do you mind? Just come over her and stick your head in.”

Katherine did as he asked and dunked her head in the Pensieve. She fell forward into a fairly large room filled with odd silver instruments. The walls were covered with pictures of sleeping people. She scanned the room for a second, but stopped when she saw an old man sitting behind an enormous desk. He had long white hair, and an equally long beard. He was wearing half-moon spectacles, behind which his eyes twinkled kindly at her.

“Katherine,” he said. “I am Professor Albus Dumbledore, and I’m afraid to say that if you are seeing this, I must be dead. Please make yourself comfortable, as I have a lot to explain to you.”

She went over to sit at the chair in front of the desk and faced Dumbledore. She could see why those people in the kitchen would want him as their leader. He looked wise and, though he was old, had a look of strength.

“Katherine, it was very hard for me to decide whether to begin at the beginning or begin at the end.” He chuckled and smiled. “You see it is a very strange story and hard to begin, but I suppose I shall begin at the beginning, for most stories do.

“You were born on September first almost eighteen years ago. How do I know if I am just a memory? Well, I change this memory every now and then to account for such things. Now where was I, ah yes, you were born to Lily and James Potter. At St. Mungo’s, unfortunately, the Medi-Wizard who delivered you was a Death Eater, who was placed there by Lord Voldemort himself. Right after you were born, the Death Eater switched you with a body that appeared to be you, only dead. He told your parents you were still born and rushed you away to Lord Voldemort.

“You may ask why your parents didn’t suspect anything. The truth is they were devastated and no one even imagined that the Medi-Wizard was working for Lord Voldemort. Maybe later the Potters would have investigated further, but in a few months they discovered they were expecting again. This was Harry Potter, your brother. Do you understand everything so far? If not, yell for someone outside and you can come back in and hear it again. If you are ready, I will now continue.

“Sadly, Lily and James would never see you again. However, they were able to make the first decision about you; for as you were being taken away by the infiltrator, your mother called out a name, ‘Katherine Anastasia.’ I believe it may have been the only time you ever heard your mother’s voice. The Death Eater, being very un-imaginative, let you keep the name, introducing you to Voldemort with that very name when you were given to him. It’s very funny that they would let you keep the something so obvious that tied you to the people they were taking you from.

“Then you were taken to Lord Voldemort himself. That night, he performed a blood right charm on you, passing some of his traits to you and by doing so literally became your second father.

“You may be asking yourself, why did he want to have you as his daughter? Why didn’t he just kill you? Many of his Death Eaters wondered the same thing. I think it was because he wanted to raise an heir. I believe he thought that by raising you as his own, you would be more loyal. He wanted a second in command that would be most unlikely to betray him. Are you still with me?”

She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She was a Potter, as well as Voldemort’s heir. She was beginning to feel a little numb from shock, but before she could dwell on her thought anymore, Dumbledore was continuing.

“Voldemort was often busy with other things, so you were not with him all the time. When he was… detained elsewhere, you would stay at the home of one of his Death Eaters. Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy cared for you on many occasions. From the information I have gathered, Narcissa and Draco, the Malfoys’ young son, became quite fond of you. You lived like this until you were two, when Lord Voldemort was reduced to almost nothing by none other than your little brother. The night it happened, Narcissa went and got you, deciding to raise you until the Dark Lord returned and ordered otherwise. There you received another set of parents and another brother.

“Do you understand all I have told you? I realize that it is hard to take all this in at once and wish that I could have told you in person. It would have made it much easier for you to ask questions and, of course, easier for me to offer you tea. Are you ready to continue?”

“Let’s see, where were we? Ahh yes, you were living as part of the Malfoy family. Now, it is important for you to know, of course, that I had known for a long time about what had really happened to you. As soon as I was sure of your situation, around the time Harry was born, I told Lily and James, making them promise not to let anyone know because I was sure that Voldemort believed that I was oblivious to your existence. I told Lily and James to continue their life as normal, hoping to someday reunite you with them. I was constantly looking for an opportunity to save you, but I didn’t know where you were all the time. You see, like Voldemort, you kept disappearing. In fact, you were even more elusive. Then, when Voldemort was nearly destroyed and the Death Eaters’ power waned, I searched for you. In six months I found you, but it took two years before the opportunity came for me to take you. And so I did, but what was I to do with a four year old? I knew I couldn’t raise you, so I began to search for a place to send you to live. But unlike your brother, Harry, you could not be sent to the Dursleys‘, Lily’s sister’s family, who had no idea that you existed. Nor could you live with any ordinary Wizarding family, for what had happened to you would have to be explained. And though I hate to say it, if I told a family that you were like a daughter to Lord Voldemort, they would most likely decline the offer to raise you.

“Finally, I decided to send you to be raised by an old friend of mine, Virginia Evans. Virginia was an older woman, but was very wise. In fact she used to be a professor at Hogwarts. We decided that you should have as little contact with the Wizarding world as possible. You would be able to know about it, but would not be able to know or talk to other witches and wizards your age. This was to protect you, but now looking back, maybe we that wasn’t the best solution. Also, in order to protect you, you were given Evans as a last name. We decided that the story we would tell you and everyone else was that your father and mother died when you were very young and that Ms. Evans, your father’s cousin, took you in to raise you.

“From there, you know the rest. You went to a Muggle school until you were twelve. Virginia and I had decided earlier that it would be best if she taught you magic at home. You were a year late starting because of, as you remember, Virginia’s health problems. Do you understand all I have told you? I am so sorry that I cannot be there to console you, for I am afraid that you shall be in great need of it. Please try to understand that everything we did, we did for you and it was what we thought was best. Whether it was or not, we are yet to find out. Goodbye Katherine, I regret never having the chance to have met you.” He finished with a comforting smile and tipped his wizards hat then began to twiddle with his beard. His eyes twinkled behind those half moon spectacles, but she saw a tear fall down his cheek just before he began again, “There are many people who love you, Katherine. Without knowing it, they love you. Your parents loved you. And I believe you may have been the only person, other than himself, that Tom Riddle, excuse me you probably do not know him by that name, Voldemort ever cared for. Remember who you are, Katherine. Remember who you are.” He smiled again before fading as she reappeared in the kitchen.

Everyone was staring at her, waiting for her to express her feelings about the whole thing to them. But she couldn’t, because truthfully she didn’t feel anything. She had just found out that all she had ever known was a lie. There was nothing from her reality left to cling to. Her life would never be the same again. She was empty.
A New Start by Sophie_McKinsley
Katherine leaned forward, putting both hands on the table, and sat down. As she sat there, just staring and thinking, minutes rushed by uncounted by anyone in the room. She thought about the man in the Pensieve and the woman who had raised her. Everything she had seen ran through her head as she tried to sort out the truth. A hand on her shoulder brought her out of her thoughts and she looked up into the eyes of Remus Lupin, there were tears in them. Pulling him down into the seat next to her, Katherine softly asked him, “Are you my new guardian?”

He smiled, surprised by the question. “Yes, I can be. You don’t technically need one, but if that’s what you want I would be honoured,”he answered.

Her face still gave away no emotion, but she nodded her head in consent. She continued, “So then, what is going to happen to me now?”

Remus looked at the others in the room, but Katherine just stared at him. “Well, I don’t think I should be the only one to decide. I think that we all should-”

“Remus, I think we can all agree that you can be the sole guardian of Katherine,” interrupted the older woman called McGonagall, turning to the couple to make sure she wasn’t speaking against their ideas.

“I don’t think-” Remus began before being cut off by the other woman.

“Remus, Arthur and I agree. There will be less confusion without having to consult each other every time a decision needs to be made.”

Katherine sat silently through this conversation, waiting for them to return to her question. She didn’t look away from her new guardian, but stared fixedly into his eyes. He turned back to her and met her eyes.

“You will go to Hogwarts to finish your schooling,” he answered finally. “When you’re not there, you can stay with me.”

His words were comforting to her. They caused her to once again feel emotion, but she couldn’t let these new people see her fear and sadness. However, her eyes gave her away, at least to Remus, who saw the pain behind them.

“Well, we’d best go to bed,” he said, realizing Katherine didn’t want to appear weak in front of the group of strangers. The couple left without another word. The older woman stood and whispered something to Remus before she too left.

“The Hogwarts Express leaves for school tomorrow morning, but McGonagall says I can take you tomorrow night so you can go buy what you need during the day,” he said, sighing deeply. He seemed to struggle with the words to say next, but standing up he continued, “Harry’s here. He doesn’t know. He shouldn’t know. Do you understand?”

“Yes, you don’t want me to tell him. In fact, I don’t think you want me to tell anyone,” she stated calmly.

“That’s right. Someday you can, but not now. Also,” he continued, this pause appearing to Katherine to be as deeply conflicting to him as asking her not to tell Harry who she was. After walking to the fireplace and stirring the embers, he turned to her and finished, “I’m a werewolf.” Then he hung his head and wouldn’t make eye contact with her. This confession shocked her, but she wasn’t afraid. Even after all she had seen, the belief she held that all beings were equal could not be shaken.

“You are already my guardian; there is nothing I can change,” she told him. “You are obviously a good man. When most others run away from Him, you went to the place where The Dark Lord was, solely to save me.”

“You are as strong as your parents,” he said turning back to her.

“Which ones?” She laughed at herself, but the truth of her statement hurt and she broke into uncontrollable tears. Remus sat down beside her and put his arm around her shaking shoulders. He offered no words, but just let her cry. When she had finished, Remus led her out of the kitchen and up to a bedroom. Bidding her good night, he shut the door. Katherine didn’t take time to look around her room; she went straight to bed.

The next morning, Katherine was awoken by a multitude of voices out in the hall. Sitting up in bed and looking around the unfamiliar room, she remembered what had happened. She stood and walked to the door. Stepping into the hall, she searched for the source of the voices. The noise led her down the stairs. No one seemed to notice her entrance at first; their own conversations seemed to be the only thing on their minds. She just stood for a bit, unnoticed by the throng, waiting for someone to introduce her or at least acknowledge her presence.

She didn’t have to wait long before the woman of the couple she had met last night came over.

“I’m Molly, if you don’t remember,” she began warmly and pulling her into a hug. Gesturing at the crowd, she began to introduce them, “Any of them with red hair are my children. There’s Ron.” She pointed to a gangly, tall boy, who waved awkwardly before turning quickly away, whispering to a bushy haired girl.

“Ginny,” she gestured to a red haired girl who smiled. “They are both still in Hogwarts. Fred and George, on the other hand,” she moved on to the twin boys both grinning mischievously, “are already out. They are just accompanying us to the station. This is Hermione, a friend of Ron and Ginny’s at school.” A bushy haired girl a bit younger than Katherine nodded to her.

“This is Tonks,” a middle aged woman with short, blonde hair smiled at her. “She’s a Metamophmagus. So, if you see her again she probably won’t look the same. This is Mad-Eye,” she said, indicating a man holding a hat who had mismatched eyes, which alarmed Katherine so much she took a step back.

“Now, where is he? Ah, here he is. This is Harry.” The woman smiled down at her pointing to the boy who just walked in from the kitchen. It was uncanny to Katherine how familiar he seemed, and although she had never met him, she could see the resemblance. His hair, though darker, was just as messy, his expression was uncannily close to hers, but his eyes” his eyes were the giveaway; they were exactly like her eyes. He smiled at her and kept walking toward Ron.

“All of you, this is Katherine,” Molly said, interrupting Katherine’s thoughts. “But we must be off. Sorry to leave you in such a rush.”

Katherine watched as they left in small groups, wondering if any of them had noticed the resemblance but her. Remus came over when the party was half gone.

“I’m going to stay here. I would have woken you earlier to meet everyone, but I thought you would need your rest,” he began. “Once everyone is gone, we can get ready and go to Diagon Alley. I told McGonagall I’d have you at the Start-of-Term feast for the Sorting at 5:45. We’ll have all afternoon to get your things at Diagon Alley. I borrowed Harry’s supply list so we’d know what you need. I’m not going to take you back to your house; you’ll need to get all new stuff. Did you grab your wand last night?”

Katherine thought a moment before reaching into her sleeping robes and pulling out her wand, “I must have grabbed right when I woke up. It was an instinct I guess, because I hardly remember doing it,” she explained, shocked at how blurry the last moments in her home were.

She looked around and realized the crowd was gone. She wondered why all those people were here, or even where ‘here’ was.

“Do you live here?” she asked, trying to find out more.

“No, I stay here sometimes, but I don’t actually live here.”

“And where exactly is here?” she continued.

“London,” he answered, “well, practically. You better get ready. Molly left some breakfast in the kitchen for you, so you can eat some before we leave.”

Katherine stood a second, watching him walk to the kitchen. “Wait,” she said suddenly, “I don’t have anything to change into.”

He laughed, “I almost forgot, Molly set out some of Ginny’s robes for you to wear. You can give them back to her at Hogwarts. Now go change, it’s almost eleven.”

Katherine went up stairs and changed. She found a brush with the clothes and attempted to tame her hair, but once again failed. Giving up, she tied it up in a pony-tail. She looked at herself in the mirror. The robes didn’t fit her right and her hair was not at its best, but she made no effort to improve herself; it didn’t seem to be that important. The only thing that bothered her about her attire was what it represented: her life’s sudden upheaval and what she was forced to leave behind. She looked at her watch, 12:05. She went downstairs and ate some breakfast, or lunch. Remus was in the kitchen when she got there and ate with her. They didn’t speak much while they ate and were finished in less than half an hour.

“We better get going,” he told her. “We only have about five hours. Are you up for a Side-Along or would you rather use Floo?”

“Side-Along is fine.”

They spent the afternoon getting everything she needed from her list. She got some new robes from Madam Malkin’s, all her books, and some supplies for potions. When they got to Eeylops Owl Emporium, Remus asked if she would like a pet to take with her. Katherine, however, said she’d just keep Maximus, Ms. Evans’ owl. So they only had to buy a cage.

“Well, I think that’s it. What’s the time?” Remus asked, holding the cage and books.

“It is ten to five,” she said, checking her watch.

“Well, we have time for a drink,” he suggested, leading the way to the Leaky Cauldron. They sat and enjoyed a few Butterbeers, but they both remained quiet.

“It’s half past,” Remus said, looking up from Katherine’s watch, “I had better get you there. You’ll probably want to change. There’s a restroom right over there, just take your new robes. I’ll go pay for the drinks and wait for you back here.”

Katherine walked into the restroom and changed into her new robes. They were much more comfortable than Ginny’s robes. She looked into the grimy mirror, trying to make herself look as nice as she possibly could, but her hair just wasn’t working with her. Leaving the restroom, she found Remus waiting at their table.

“Hold on tight, we’ll Apparate so your robes don’t get sooty.” He smiled and she gripped his arm tight. In less than a second, they were gone. They soon appeared in front of a gate over a path that led up to a magnificent castle. Katherine let out a short breath. Remus smiled at her, saying, “Yes, Hogwarts is very amazing. All we need to do is walk up the path to the castle. I won’t stay for the feast, but I will stay until the other students get here.”

As he was speaking, he led the way to the castle. Katherine looked around, trying to take in everything: a giant lake, the many turrets of the castle, a small village behind her. There were so many things that she couldn’t remember everything. It began to sprinkle just as they stepped through the giant oak front doors. The hall that met her eyes was as equally amazing as the grounds. Remus led her to the right through more doors into another giant hall with four tables running the length and one table at the other end running from side to side.

“Sit here and I’ll go get Minerva,” Remus said, motioning at the nearest table, before walking back out the door they had just entered. She sat quietly waiting for his return. As she waited, adult witches and wizards began to enter. All of them smiled at her, but began muttering softly to each other once they passed.

She was beginning to become nervous. She had never been in a large group of magical people before, nor allowed to have friends her age. How would they treat her? What would they be like? She couldn’t guess. Before long, Remus returned, accompanied by McGonagall.

“It’s nice to see you again, Katherine. The other students will be arriving shortly. We will Sort the first years, and then we’ll Sort you. But until you find out your House, you can sit at the High Table with the Professors. This is the Great Hall and the previous room is the Entrance Hall. Also, you’ll need to refer to me as ‘Professor McGonagall,’” she said, very business-like. “By the way,” she added, softer and more sympathetic, “you’re always welcome in my office if you need to talk. Enjoy yourself.”

Professor McGonagall walked back out the doors, and Katherine could hear her talking out in the other hall, giving last minute orders.

“Well, I had better go now,” Remus said, stepping up next to where Katherine was sitting. “I’ve got things to do. If you have any problems or need anything, just write. I’ll send you a letter about breaks later. Also, I’ll send you a letter about what we find out about Ms. Evans and your home.”

He began to walk off, but turned around again and added, “For a long time I’ve been without a family. I’ve even tried to push away those people who accepted me and wanted to be my family. I’m afraid you may do the same. But maybe now that we are something of a family, we’ll both be able to let others in. It can be a new beginning for both of us.”

“Goodbye, Remus,” Katherine said, standing up, “Thank you for caring.” Then she walked over and hugged him.

“Goodbye, Kathy.”

They let go and Remus walked out the doors. Katherine turned and walked up to the High Table, taking an empty seat next Professor McGonagall, who must have re-entered without her notice. All the seats at the High Table, except two, were now full. Katherine heard a great burst of noise from the Entrance Hall. The students were here, and the school year had begun.
School Starts by Sophie_McKinsley
“Look, there’s a girl up at the High Table.”

“Yeah, I see. Who is she?”

The sounds of muttering filled the hall as the students made their way into the Great Hall. The presence of a mysterious new “grown-up” student had not escaped their notice. She tried not to look bothered as more students poured into the room. Ignoring the increasingly loud comments, she noticed two furiously red haired people enter the Hall and began to look for Harry. Unsurprisingly, she found him with them; in fact, the four students she had met that morning were packed together in a group and, as far as she could tell, still oblivious to the fact that she was there.

She began to fidget nervously with her dark hair. The stares of the students were enough to drive her mad. Soon, all of the students were seated and noisily chatting to each other, but Katherine could still see them occasionally casting furtive glances toward her. Relief came over her when Professor McGonagall finally stood and the Hall fell quiet, all attention on the Headmistress.

“Welcome back, everyone. I’m sure you’re all very hungry, but first, the Sorting,” McGonagall said stoutly. As she finished, the doors to the Great Hall opened and two lines of very young students were led in by an incredibly small old wizard. As the students lined up across the front, the old wizard stepped up to a stool with a hat on it which Katherine had not yet noticed.

Suddenly the brim of the hat opened and it began to sing,
I have warned you- it is true-
of dangers in your parting.
To sort- I fear- will only bring
an end that is down hearting.

For unity brings strength, you see,
like the threads that bind me.
A unique value each house provides,
creating a fabric one can’t unwind.
For Gryffindor, the courage bears;
From Ravenclaw, a clever air;
Hufflepuff a humble spirit brings;
Of ambition Slytherin sings.
But what is one without the others,
of all the Houses that are brothers?
Pitted against what would be friends
True foes forgotten for fickle ends.
I warn you now, just as before;
Turn back, unite, for now it’s war.

The song ended, leaving Katherine utterly perplexed, but her attention was soon cast back to the small old wizard.

“When I say your name,” came the squeaky voice of the wizard, “please step forward and take a seat on this stool. Then I will put the Sorting Hat on your head and you will be sorted. Adelein, Mark.”

A cocky-looking boy lost face as he walked to the stool and sat himself down. The hat rested on his head for half a minute before it called out, “Ravenclaw.”

The old wizard made his way through the terrified students one by one. For one boy the hat took over two minutes; other students only a second. Soon, however, there was only one girl left standing alone at the front of the hall.

“Yulin, Mara.” She was made a Hufflepuff and went off to join her table. Great, now we can eat, she thought, but her dreams of dinner were interrupted by the voice of Professor McGonagall.

“Students, may I have your attention, please. This year we have a seventh year student joining us from home study. She will be Sorted now.”

“Evans, Katherine,” the wizard said, looking to Katherine. She had been expecting this; she knew that she, too, would have to be Sorted, but was hoping that they would let her be Sorted later. Not only because she was nervous, but also she was outstandingly hungry. Ignoring her fear and hunger, she stood up and made her way around the table to the stool, feeling all the eyes in the hall on her. She sat down causally, not want to make a fool of herself in front of all those people. The old wizard placed the hat on her head.

“Ahh, I never thought I’d see this day. The eldest Potter, but don’t worry, I won’t tell,” the hat said, kindly, if a hat can speak kindly. “Let’s see, where to put you? I do believe you’re even harder to place than your brother. Just like him, you have the characteristics of all the houses: loyalty, bravery, intelligence, and cunning. And there are so many other considerations; your history is quite fascinating. But, I suppose” yes, definitely Gryffindor.”

The last word was spoken loud enough for the entire room to hear. The table on the far left cheered and Katherine made her way to it. Ron motioned for her to come sit with them, as he was the one facing her. She sat down across from Harry, as Professor McGonagall stood up.

“Now, the Sorting is finished. Enjoy.”

The tables were instantly covered with food. There was roast chicken, steak, chips, mashed potatoes, anything she could have wanted. She began to dip out portions onto her plate.

“Look, there’s Hagrid,” Ginny said, motioning at the High Table. Katherine looked up and saw a huge man making his way to an empty seat with the teachers.

“You know him?” Katherine asked, shocked at this man’s enormous size.

“Yeah,” Harry said, “he’s actually a very close friend. He teaches Care of Magical Creatures. We like to visit him sometimes. You can come with us sometime if you like.”

“Sounds sparking. I’d love it,” Katherine said. The giant man had a kind face and a good smile, which she could see shining all the way from her seat.

They all dug into their food, but the bushy haired girl named Hermione didn’t seem to be as exuberant as the rest.

“So, what were you doing at headquarters?” Hermione asked, filling Katherine with realization.

“Umm, my Aunt, who taught me at home, was part of the Order, but last night we were attacked and” well she didn’t make it. Remus came and got me but he couldn’t save both of us. So, now I’m here for my final year of schooling,” she answered, more informative than expressional. Somehow she felt completely disconnected from the whole rest of her life here at Hogwarts, which she could tell was keeping her from feeling any emotion from what had happened, from loosing everything.

They all looked shocked that she was so calm. Ron gaped openly and Harry did a double take.

“And you’re okay, just like that?” Hermione continued suspiciously.

“No, how could I be? I guess it’s all still kind of bizarre to me. I mean, yesterday at this time, Auntie and I were enjoying a show on the Wizarding Wireless, but now she’s gone and I’m here at school. I’ve never actually been around witches and wizards my age, it’s all just so surreal.”

Harry seemed to understand, and nudged Hermione as she opened her mouth to dig deeper into the subject. “Do you like Quidditch?” he asked changing the subject, and bringing back Ron’s attention.

“Yes, I love it. When I get to play, I’m either Beater or Keeper. My teams are a draw between the Chudley Cannons and Puddlemere United. During their matches against each other I simply go mad.” She smiled, trying to recover herself, and the five of them enjoyed the rest of the feast getting to know each other. Ron was a Chudley Cannons fan and a Keeper; Ginny and Harry were Seekers. Both she and Hermione enjoyed Arithmancy and were interested in promoting rights for non-human intelligent beings. They all liked Defence Against the Dark Arts. Soon, however, the food disappeared from the tables and the hall grew silent.

“Well, now that we are fed, I have a few start of term announcements. First, new teachers. As I am now Headmistress, I will be stepping down from the post of Transfiguration teacher, and Hestia Jones will be taking my place.”

A short, pink-cheeked, black-haired witch stood and waved at the students. She looked very skinny, especially since she was seated next to Hagrid.

“Also, the Defence Against the Dark Arts post will be filled by Lorenzo Blue.”

This man wasn’t a normal teacher. His head was shaved, he had astonishingly blue eyes, his robes, although just black and white, were the most fashionable any of them had ever seen, and even his wave reeked of subtle superiority. There was no way around it. He was cool.

“All students, please remember that the Forbidden Forest is off limits. Mr. Filch would like me to remind you that the list of banned items in his office has been updated to include some stock from Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. Also, due to the imposing threat of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, no students are allowed out of the castle after five o’clock. Any infringement of this rule will result in severe punishment. I believe it’s getting late, so off to your common rooms.”

With the end of her speech, the students rose and began to make their way to the Entrance Hall.

“You can follow us to the common room,” Harry offered. As he led the way, the five of them discussed the new rule. When they entered the Entrance Hall, she noticed a blonde boy staring at her.

“Who’s that?” she whispered to Harry, motioning toward the boy.

“That’s Draco Malfoy,” he answered scathingly. “His father is a Death Eater, awful people.”

“Oh,” was all she said as he led her up a stairway. She had known that blonde haired boy long ago, did he recognize her?

They continued up the stairs, and then up another flight. She talked to Hermione, getting more information about an elf rights organization called S.P.E.W. However, Hermione had soon finished talking and abruptly excused herself to find Ginny. Katherine continued silently, making sure not to lose sight of her guides. Suddenly she felt a tug on her robes and fell backward into Ron. They watched as another student’s foot sunk through the step she was about to step on.

“Trick step,” Ron muttered, helping her upright.

“Thanks,” Katherine said to Ron, reaching to help the other student out of the step.

“You’re the new girl, aren’t you?” the boy asked. “I’m Neville; I’m in Harry and Ron’s year. It’s nice to meet you.”

“He’s a bit forgetful,” Ron told her, as Neville continued his way up the stairs. “But overall he’s actually kind of nice. That’s Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil.” He motioned at two girls in front of them. “And this is Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnigan.”

“Hello,” Dean said offering a hand, as Seamus nodded.

“How come you weren’t surprised when you saw me here?” Katherine asked him.

“Mum told us you’d be coming,” Ron said, then quickly added, “but she didn’t tell why.”

He fell silent before speeding up to talk to Harry.

“So, you’ve never been around wizards our age?” Ginny asked, winking.

“No, no magical people our age at all. Only Auntie’s old friend, and merely on occasion.”

“And you’ve never had a boyfriend?”

“Nope, never met a boy my age, really.”

“Well, I’m sure that won’t last long. You’re very pretty, at least I think my brother thinks so,” Ginny said with a giggle.

“It looks as though his heart belongs to Hermione,” Katherine observed, as she saw Hermione quickly take Ron’s hand and turn back to face forward after catching Katherine’s eye. “Besides, I barely know anyone yet.”

“Well, if you’re ever feeling lonely, I’m sure I can find you someone. But never mind boyfriends, didn’t you ever have a best friend?”

“No,” Katherine shrugged, “never.”

“Well, maybe Hermione and I can introduce you to the joys of ‘Best-Friend-ship’,” Ginny said, smiling. They both looked up to see Lavender and Parvati giggling and making eyes at someone Katherine couldn’t see, and a pang of fear struck her. Obviously Ginny noticed what had caught Katherine’s eye and added, “Well, not exactly like that. But it’s important to have someone to talk to about anything, what do you say?”

Katherine thought of Lupin’s words about not shutting people out. She didn’t feel like doing anything really, but Ginny had just offered her friendship and she did not think she wanted to go through this whole experience alone. “Alright, I’m up for it.”

“Here we are,” she heard Harry say as they all stopped in front a portrait of a rather large lady.

“This is the Fat Lady,” Ron said, looking back.

“Hello, you’re new, aren’t you? We haven’t had a transfer student in a long time, Ivan Ruthercor, was the last I think, in 1853. Well, password?”

“Amortentia,” Hermione said and the portrait swung open. Harry, Ron, and Hermione led the way in; Ginny and Katherine followed. There was a large fireplace and lots of chairs and tables spread through the room.

“Blimey, it’s brilliant,” Katherine muttered.

Everyone sat in the big chairs in front of the fire. It had been a long day and Katherine was very tired. She just sat and listened as Ron and Harry talked Quidditch and Hermione and Ginny talked about classes. Soon she had drifted off to sleep, the light of the fire casting strange shadows on her eyelids, reminding her of home.

“Katherine, wake up,” Hermione said, prodding her gently. “You’re in my dormitory; I’ll show you the way.”

The common room was now almost empty. Hermione led her up a staircase. They passed two doors before Hermione stopped and said, “This one’s ours. Parvati and Lavender are in here, too.”

They walked into the dormitory. It was round with four four poster beds pushed against the wall. Hermione walked to the first on the right. Katherine walked to the next one, there was a trunk at the end of it with the inscription ‘KA’, and a paper on top.
Katherine,

I went back to Diagon Alley after I left and bought you this new trunk. I packed all of your school things plus a few extras. Have a good term!
Yours,
Remus

“What’s the ‘A’ for? I thought your last name was Evans,” Hermione asked, seeing the initials.

“It stands for Anastasia, my middle name,” Katherine answered, pulling back her covers.

“That’s a beautiful name. Well, classes start in the morning, have a good night sleep,” Hermione said before drawing her bed curtain. Katherine looked out the window by her bed. It was still raining, a little harder than before. She turned away and got into bed, pulling the curtains closed on the opposite side from the window. Laying down, she stared at the rain hitting the window. It was a calming sound and soon put her to sleep.

Katherine squinted hard as the morning sun hit her eyes. Standing up, she saw that the sun was just rising. She rummaged through her trunk, pulling out her school robes and a brush. She dressed quietly, then brushed her hair back into a ponytail, tying it with a maroon ribbon. When she was satisfied, she dove back into the trunk and pulled out her books, pens, ink, parchment, and a canvas bag. Katherine stuffed everything inside the bag and hung it from a hook on the wall. She haphazardly made her bed and left the dormitory, heading down to the common room. No one was there yet, and she wasn’t sure if they would be serving breakfast yet, but she decided to chance it.

Katherine exited the porthole, racking her brain trying to remember the way down to the Great Hall. She stood for a moment, thinking maybe she should wait for someone. Turning around, she gave the Fat Lady the password and re-entered the common room, hoping that one of her friends would wake up soon. It didn’t take long before her hopes were fulfilled as both Harry and Ron came down the other staircase.

“My, you’re up early,” Harry said, laughing.

“Yeah, I forgot to close the curtains and the sun woke me.”

“Ron and I needed to get our Time Tables, so we could find a free time to plan a Quidditch trial and make some plays. Ron’s Captain and Keeper, and I‘m helping him as I was Captain last year and Seeker still this year.”

“I need to get mine, too. I don’t even know which classes I’m taking.”

“Well, come down with us now; Ginny and Hermione can come together when they get up,” Ron suggested, leading the way out of the common room down to the Great Hall. When they got there, the hall was still mostly empty, apart from the professors, with only a few Ravenclaws gathered in a small group at the back of the hall.

“Wonder who the new Head of House is,” Harry said to Ron.

“No clue, mate.”

The three took seats towards the end of the table, near the High Table, hoping that whoever their new Head of House was would notice that they wanted their Time Tables. After seeing that no one seemed to be coming, they started gathering food onto their plates.

“Oose dat,” Ron mumbled through his food, motioning at a petite woman walking up to the High Table.

“That’s Professor Jones. Didn’t you pay attention last night?” Harry said before falling into a deep musing. “She looks so familiar. I know I‘ve met her. I just can‘t remember where.”

Returning to his food, Harry continued his list to Ron, “Well, you’re Keeper, I’m Seeker, and Ginny’s Chaser and reserve Seeker. But Katie’s gone and I’d have tryouts for the other positions, giving, of course, a marginal partiality to the players that were on the team before.”

“Margarine part what?” Ron asked stupidly.

“He means show them a little favouritism,” Katherine answered, taking another sausage.

“Excuse me,” came a Scottish voice, causing them to jump. “I’m the new Gryffindor Head of House. If you give me your names, I’ll give you your Time Tables. I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to get them to you sooner.”

They all looked up to see the new teacher, Professor Blue.

“Umm, Harry Potter,” Harry offered, recovering himself.

Professor Blue glanced unconsciously at Harry’s forehead, but quickly stopped himself, looking back down to rummage through the papers in his hand.

“Ah, here it is,” he said finally, pulling out a paper and handing it to Harry. “And you?”

“Ron Weasley.”

“Yes, here you go. And you,” he said, turning to Katherine. He stared for a moment, and looked as though he were trying to remember something.

“Katherine Evans.”

“Here you are,” he finished, handing her the paper. He took one last glance at the three of them, still looking as though he had forgot something. “See you in class.”

“What was that about?” Ron said indignantly.

“No idea, maybe you remind him of someone,” Harry said, motioning at Katherine.

“Hmm, maybe,” Katherine said, picking up her Time Tables to look at them.

The morning classes on Monday were Care of Magical Creatures and Herbology, then this afternoon was a double Arithmancy lesson. She signed loudly, This is going to be a long day.
What’s Left of What Was by Sophie_McKinsley
The first day of classes had been very different from her lessons at home. Katherine had met Ron, Harry, and Hermione in Herbology and followed Hermione to Arithmancy after lunch. Her first class, Care of Magical Creatures, was very interesting and she met Hagrid, the giant of a man her new friends knew. However, it looked like Herbology would be difficult, and, although Arithmancy appeared difficult, it seemed much more interesting. After Arithmancy, Katherine returned to the common room to begin a four-foot essay Professor Vector set which was to be an overview of what they should know before continuing the class. She worked studiously for thirty minutes before her work was interrupted.

“Hello there,” Ron said, coming up and sitting across from her. “How was your first day?”

“Oh, it was great,” Katherine said, smiling. “Where are the others?”

“Oh, they went straight down to the Quidditch pitch. Harry going to help get me started and Ginny is going to help as well. Hermione is in the library. She’s been in a right mood all day. Don’t know what’s gotten into her. I only came up here to give you this. Mum sent it with Errol, but he brought it to me a little after lunch instead of you.”

“Oh, thanks,” Katherine said, taking the letter Ron offered her.

Katherine,

We regret to inform you that your guardian, Virginia Evans, has been found to have been murdered by the Dark Lord. Your home of approximately eleven years has been almost completely destroyed. We wish your presence on Saturday to sweep the house and go over inheritance details. We will also give the funeral at that time. In addition, although we realize this is a time of great grief for you, we wish to offer you belated birthday wishes. Please inform your Headmistress of our request.

Anne Drenkum
2nd Under-Secretary,
Department of Magical Catastrophes


She finished reading, taking a second paper from the back.

Katherine,

I have already spoken to Professor McGonagall and Arthur and I will be picking you up on Saturday morning. Maybe we can get permission to take one of the kids with you so you’re not alone. Remus asked us to let you know he wanted to take you, but he has some things to take care of over the weekend. By the way, why didn’t you let us know it was your birthday? We could have done something to celebrate a little.
Love,
Molly


Katherine laid it on the table. Ron put his hand on hers. He had taken the first letter and realized why Katherine was now on the verge of tears.

“It’s alright. Harry, Ginny, Hermione, or I will go with you,” he said consolingly. “Why didn’t you tell us about your birthday? Maybe we can celebrate tomorrow or something.”

“I didn’t even remember it was my birthday,” Katherine said, still holding back tears. “I completely forgot. Auntie was going to take me into Diagon Alley and get me a new broom.”

“I’ll get you one,” Ron offered. “I’ll find a way.”

“No, don’t do that,” Katherine said, knowing he was only trying to make her feel more at home. “Accompanying me on Saturday will be a far greater gift than a broom.”

“Alright then, that’s what I’ll do,” Ron said, moving awkwardly to brush her tears away, accidentally knocking a stack of books in the floor.

“Ron,” Hermione interrupted Ron’s movement, pursing her lips. “I met Harry. He asked me to come ask you to hurry up. I’ll tell him you’re busy.”

Hermione emphasised the last word, smiling curtly at Ron.

“No, not busy at all. Just delivering a letter,” Ron said, jumping up causing his chair to topple dangerously near to falling. “See you at dinner. Come on Hermione, come down with me.”

Hermione took Ron’s hand, smiling back at Katherine, then flipped her head around to follow Ron out of the Common Room. Katherine was grateful to have friends even though they were quite new. They would be there for her for the good times and the bad.

She decided it would be best to put away her work, knowing she would never be able to concentrate now. Gathering her books and parchment, she took them up to her dormitory and dumped them at the head of her bed. Lazily she sat down on the floor and leaned against the side of her bed. Eighteen years ago, on this day, her real parents were grieving the loss of their baby and the Dark Lord was celebrating the successful kidnapping of an heir. However, seventeen years ago, her real parents were enjoying their life with their new baby boy and Katherine was living with Voldemort as her father.

Snapping out of her musings, she stood and made her way down to the Great Hall, thinking it must be almost time for dinner. She climbed down staircase after staircase, concentrating hard on not taking a wrong turn. Thankfully, she found the Entrance Hall with no problem. As she climbed down, three boys ran by her, one knocking her to the side. This irritated Katherine a great deal and she was about to tell them off, but then one of the boy’s friends turned around.

“You okay?” he asked. “Michael, apologize to the lady.”

His friend reluctantly turned and apologized. Then the boy smiled and turned to rejoin his friends who had begun running again. Katherine continued down the stairs, her cheeks burning fiercely. She guessed this would be one of those moments to tell your best friend, so upon entering the Great Hall she immediately sought out Ginny Weasley. Ginny seemed very excited about her news and began asking for every detail about him, before searching the hall for any sight of the boy Katherine had described. Everyone was enjoying the meal thoroughly when half way through dinner a small boy brought Harry a note.

“Thanks, Dennis,” Harry said, opening it to scan it quickly. “Professor Blue wants me to meet him in his office after dinner.”

He sent the other three a meaningful look, and Katherine knew this was one of those moments in which time was a factor she was severely lacking in her friendships. Hermione, obviously thinking Katherine needed more than a meaningful look, said, “We’ll talk about it together later, Harry.”

Katherine did not need any help understanding, but was thankful that Hermione was being so considerate.

“So, you said his friend’s name was Michael?” Ginny began their conversation again, while, for no apparent reason, throwing a look of contempt at Hermione.

After dinner, Harry went off to meet Professor Blue and the rest of them returned to the common room. They rested around the fire until Harry got back. Katherine pretended to need to go sit at the table and tried not to listen.

“So what did he want?” Ron asked.

“Just updating me on the deal,” Harry said. “And we’re going over this weekend to start.”

“Well, that’s good,” Hermione said. “You don’t have to wait like you thought.”

“I’m glad you got to come back and still…,” Ginny said, but Katherine couldn’t hear the rest over the two younger kids who had just exploded something. She knew it wasn’t her business, but she couldn’t help wondering what Harry was still getting to do. She looked around the room, taking in the faces of her fellow Gryffindors. She saw the people Ron had shown her. Neville was leaned over a parchment with a look of deep concentration on his face. The two other girls, Lavender and Parvati, were close together whispering. The whole common room was a comfortable busy of activity.

“Katherine,” she heard Ginny yell. “Come on back over here.”

Katherine thankfully rejoined the group, placing herself on the floor across from Harry’s armchair.

“Ron told us about Saturday,” Harry began. “And we all really wanted to go. But I’m not going to be able to make it.”

“The rest of us are though,” Ginny added quickly.

“That’s great,” Katherine said, relieved she wouldn’t have to go alone. “Not that you’re not coming Harry, but that the rest of you still get to come.”

“So, now we’ve got that sorted, who’s up for a game of wizard chess?” Ron asked, trying to lighten the mood. “Do you know how to play, Katherine?”

“Well, I know how. Unfortunately, I’ve never had much of a chance to play against anyone but my Aunt, and she wasn’t very good.”

“Well, let’s play. I’ll get the board,” Ron said, running out of the room.

When he returned they began a stupendous game, which Ron won narrowly. Nevertheless, when he offered a rematch, Katherine utterly destroyed him. After this, Hermione told her about a time at the end of their first year in which Ron helped win against a giant enchanted chessboard. She ended by telling how she later had to rush him to the Hospital Wing where she wouldn’t leave his side. Katherine couldn’t help thinking how lucky Ron was to have Hermione.

They sat around the fire talking for about thirty minutes before Katherine decided it was time for her to go to bed. She stood and walked to the stairs.

“Goodnight, Katherine. We’ll look for your mystery man again at lunch tomorrow,” Ginny bid her, and when Katherine turned around winked mischievously.

“What mystery man?” Ron asked as Katherine turned back to her course.

“Oh Ron, where have you been? They’ve been talking about him since the beginning of dinner,” Hermione answered scathingly, but Katherine could not hear the end of the conversation as she began to climb up to her bed. She looked out at the grounds. It was a beautiful night. Katherine decided to leave the curtain open again. Not only would it help her get up, but the moon was just visible through it and Katherine wanted to watch it as she went to sleep.

Katherine was awake and down at breakfast early the next morning. In fact, she was the first Gryffindor in the Great Hall. She gathered some toast and sausage and settled herself at the front end of the table. As she ate, she took out her Charms textbook that she had brought down for her first lesson of the day. She skimmed through it, then returned to the first chapter to read it thoroughly.

By the time she was joined by Harry, Ron, and Hermione, she was three-quarters of the way through the chapter and on her third piece of toast.

They each grabbed something to eat and finished their conversation on Defence Against the Dark Arts.

“It should be very interesting,” Hermione said.

“Yeah, I wonder what he’ll be like,” Ron mused before shoving his mouth with bacon.

“I don’t know,” Harry answered. “He seems young to me, only about Bill or Charlie’s age.”

“Ron, you should write and ask. Maybe they knew him.”

After breakfast, Katherine followed them to Charms. The tiny man who had led the first years in stood waiting for the students. He smiled genially at her as she took her seat beside Harry.

“Look,” he said, pointing, “we’re with the Hufflepuffs again in this class. The same ones who were in Herbology yesterday.”

He waved at the students he had introduced as Ernie MacMillan, Justin Finch-Fletchley, and Hannah Abbot, who sat together across the room. Soon class had started and all attention was turned to the Professor.

“Hello, hello. As you remember, I am Professor Flitwick,” he started. “Not that most of you to need know, but we do have a new student. Today we will be starting on a section on making things invisible. As I am sure you all know, there are ways to disappear without using a spell. The rare Invisibility Cloaks and the spell Evanesco will completely vanish an item. In fact, now I believe you can purchase wizard hats at Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes that will make your head invisible. But would anyone venture to tell us all the charm which we will be learning?”

Hermione’s hand hit the air, but Katherine beat her, not that she would have known but for her breakfast review.

“Yes, Ms. Evans?” Professor Flitwick said.

“The Disillusionment Charm, also I believe it’s a non-verbal spell.”

“Correct, take five points for Gryffindor. Now, today we will be working with small non-living things and then work our way up. So, begin with your ink wells.”

Everyone went to work. Katherine glanced down at Hermione and Ron, who were in front of Harry and her. Hermione was looking back at her, but quickly turned and wrapped her arm around Ron to help him. By the end of class, all four of them had managed to make their inkwells invisible and got to leave early as Professor Flitwick reappeared the wells and dismissed them.

Break passed quickly and soon they were all taking seats in Transfiguration. Their seats were at the front of the class, and Katherine didn’t bother to look to see which house shared the class with them. Professor Jones stepped to the front of the class and gained the students’ attention. The class was mostly an overview of what they would be covering in the course and warnings that anyone caught goofing off would receive two detentions and lose house points. The class ended and everyone rose and made for the doors.

Katherine caught Harry’s arm.

“What?” he said concerned.

“I saw him,” Katherine said excitedly. “The ‘Mystery Man,’ in Ginny’s words. But he’s disappeared. What house is that?”

“Ravenclaw,” Hermione answered from behind her.

Katherine nodded, etching that in her memory. She excused herself and went straight to lunch to find Ginny. They excitedly discussed the new information, though couldn’t narrow down who it could be. Soon the others who had taken their books from morning lessons back to the tower joined them. After lunch, Harry and Ron practically sprinted to Defence Against the Dark Arts.

Professor Blue surveyed the class, no smile on his face he spoke, “I am not one to judge the past. It is behind us and I’ll keep it that way. This is your final year and at the end you will face the NEWTs. But, more important than that, Voldemort is back and you need to be prepared. The first few lessons we will be reviewing jinxes, counter-jinxes, curses and counter-curses you’ve already learned. I need to know what you can do and how well before I decide what to teach you. It will go fast, so keep up. Mr. Malfoy, shut up.”

Malfoy flushed and looked to the front of the classes. He had been talking quietly with a dark haired Slytherin girl, who flushed as well.

“You can be the first…”

At the end of class, Katherine gathered her things and made to follow the others out, but they were stopped before they even reached the aisle.

“Potter, stay here. I need to speak with you,” Professor Blue ordered across the classroom. “Weasley and Granger, you can stay too if you wish.”

“Go on to the tower,” Ron told her. “Don’t know how long this will take.”

He rolled his eyes, trying to make it look as though he didn’t want to stay. However, Katherine could see that they could hardly wait for this conversation. She frowned, but left the room without debate. As she closed the door, she heard Professor Blue start, “Now Potter, about Saturday…”

That night as Katherine relaxed on her bed after dinner, she couldn’t stop thinking about what Harry would be doing on Saturday. The ideas of what all he could be up to were only interrupted by the images of what she would have to face. During one of her ponderings, she closed her eyes, imagining walking through her home gathering remnants with Ron, Hermione and Ginny. This faded into dreams of Harry dueling Professor Blue in the Forbidden Forest. This melted into a picture of a ball, and she was dancing with a tall, faceless man. This suddenly disappeared and she lay on the ground crying surrounded by hood figures. One stepped out and picked her up.

He said, “This is where we shall finish. The First Prophesy will save us. Now it will be fulfilled.”

He carried her over to a kneeling person she had not yet noticed and laid her in front of them. The person had a mask and hood like the rest, but was shaking terribly.

“It shall begin now, boy,” the first man sneered.

The kneeling boy lifted his hand and removed his hood, then his mask. Draco Malfoy had tears rolling down his face; he leaned over and whispered, “I’m sorry.” Then a yellow light surrounded them. Katherine blinked, throwing her hands over her face. She sat up sharply, seeing only her dormitory through her squinted eyes.

The dream, or whatever it was, stayed in her mind all day and the next. She was unusually quiet and kept to herself. Ginny tried to find out what was wrong, but Katherine couldn’t find a way to explain it. Not until Friday night did anything finally end her mental replays of the scene.

“Surprise,” Ginny said, smiling. Katherine had just entered the common room. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were surrounding a small table covered in sweets.

“Happy Belated Birthday,” Harry said, offering her a chocolate frog.

“We thought it was about time we gave you that party I promised you,” Ron explained.

“You’ve been a bit down and tomorrow’s going to be rough, so we thought tonight would be a good time,” Ginny explained.

“Thanks,” Katherine whispered, smiling as she wiped away a solitary tear. She had tried to shut them out of her problems, yet they had still found a way to help. She was not used to having friends, but the smile on those four faces told her she would learn.

They all broke into different conversations, enjoying the sweets and Butterbeer, which were hidden under the table to protect them from passers by.

“So, anything new on the mystery man?” Ginny asked.

“Not really, I think he might be in my History of Magic class. I really don’t remember.”

“Well, next week we’ll head to the library to see if we might catch a glimpse of him.”

Katherine smiled and blushed as Ron turned around inviting himself along.

“What?” he asked blankly. “Can’t I go to the kitchens with you?”

“Not the kitchens, you prat. We were talking about the library,” Ginny said scathingly.

“Oh, well then, count me out.”

Everyone laughed and went back to their conversations. After thirty more minutes, Ron stood and stretched.

“We better get off to bed,” he suggested.

“Why so early?” Hermione asked, taking his hand pleadingly.

“Well, Harry’s busy and we have the funeral.”

Katherine’s face became stony. She had almost forgotten tomorrow was Saturday.

“That sounds best,” Ginny said. “I’m tired anyway.”

Katherine stood up and said, “Goodnight, see you in the morning. Well, except for you, Harry.”

Smiling, Katherine walked up to her dormitory. She slept dreamlessly, but woke before the sun. Knowing there wasn’t much to do, she went ahead and dressed herself for the funeral and worked hard to fix her hair. Ms. Evans had always liked her hair down and Katherine did her best to make it look good as one last favour to her. It was still dark when she finished, so she walked down to the common room to sit and wait. She did not know how long she sat there until the sun began to rise. Soon after, Harry and Ron walked into the Common Room. However, neither noticed her in the chair by the window.


“Bye, Harry. Good luck.”

“Thanks.”

“Oh, and be safe.”

“You too. I know that the Order members will be there, but if anything does happen, get the girls out of there. This was a very bad time to do this, but this is important too. Never mind though, bye.”

“See you, Harry.”

Katherine heard the portrait open and close. She looked around the edge of the chair. Ron was just standing there staring around at the walls. She heard voices coming from the stairs. Ginny and Hermione appeared, both dressed for the funeral.

“Where’s Katherine?” Ginny asked.

“She wasn’t in her bed,” Hermione added.

“Well, I’ve been down here and I haven’t…”

“I’m right here,” Katherine said standing. She diverted her eyes from Ron who had immediately cast her a glance that had been scolding, worried, and amused all at once. He knew now she had heard his conversation with Harry. However, she had gained no useful information from it. She blushed slightly as she walked across to join the group.

“Well, we’re all here now,” Ginny said. “Let’s get going, we’re supposed to meet Mum and Dad in the Entrance Hall at seven-thirty.”

The four walked down to the Entrance Hall silently. No one dared break the uncomfortable silence, as conversation was even more uncomfortable. When they reached the hall, it was still empty. Soon a few students began to walk through to breakfast. All of them gave the foursome curious looks. They waited ten minutes before the Arthur and Molly arrived and ushered them straight away down a path to the village. There they grasped a Ministry-provided Portkey that took them to small room filled with chairs.

“Ahh, the waiting room. Everyone sit,” Mr. Weasley ordered, taking a seat. They sat for about five minutes before a witch came through one of the two doors leaving the room. She led Katherine out of the room into another, this one containing a desk with a smart looking wizard behind it. They discussed the inheritance, the house, and her new guardianship. Katherine would get everything that remained. She would have to go through the house, ‘remnants’ was the word he used, and mark or take everything she wanted. Then the rest would be dealt with appropriately. He approved Remus Lupin as her guardian. By the time they were finished, it was nearly nine forty-five. Katherine returned to the group, and they all took another Portkey, this time to an open field. Well, at least at first glance. After a longer look, Katherine saw that it was really a cemetery. However, it wasn’t an ordinary one; it was magical. There was a courtyard in what looked like the middle with a fountain of glowing water, which had an ever-changing colour. Some of the headstones had moving pictures placed on them or changing epitaphs. It was a very lovely place. Katherine was greeted soon after by a starchy looking wizard.

“I’m sure you will be happy with the services today. We take particular care of all of the plots. We are, after all, the largest, most prestigious Wizarding Cemetery in Britain.”

As he spoke, he led them to a group of chairs surrounding a casket. The service was beautiful, but was mostly a blur. Some people said some words, there was a song, and some other memoriam. Before she knew it, it was over and they were being led away again. As she followed the group, she felt a sudden longing for Remus to be there. Her friends’ presence comforted her immensely, without it she would be going crazy, still she wished he were there.

“We’ll have to wait here for a few minutes,” Mr. Weasley said, stopping the group. “They’ll send us word whenever they’re ready for us to come.”

Ginny and Hermione whispered quietly to each other. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley walked a few steps off and did the same. Katherine stood quietly not thinking about anything.

“Hey,” Ron whispered, breaking her daze. She simply smiled at him.

“I know it’s hard for you right now, but don’t shut us out. I’ll understand if you wait till we get back to school, but just remember we came with you to support you.”

“I know, I can’t tell you how glad I am that you’re here, all of you. But I just can’t find anything to say really.”

Ron shook his head and put his arm around her shoulder, then after what seemed like a great debate in his mind he moved his head gawkily resting his chin on her forehead.

“We are all here for you,” he said quietly. Katherine was terribly grateful for all of them. She knew that everyone, no matter how well they understood the feelings of others, understood the feeling of loss.

“They are ready for us,” Mrs. Weasley said. “Gather up, another Portkey I’m afraid.”

All of them touched an empty Marmite jar and were taken away from the cemetery. Moments later they landed in the first place Katherine recognized, well at least the surrounding countryside. The house was in rubble. Guard wizards and witches encircled the whole yard. All of her guests stood just staring at the destroyed house. After a second of shock, however, Katherine moved toward the house. She climbed over the rubble to what would have normally been the sitting room. Reaching down, she picked up a picture whose broken glass had caught her eye. It was of her eighth birthday, a small photo of her and Ms. Evans. A tear slid down her cheek. She looked up and slowly took in the disaster around her. It was all that was left of what was before.
Rows, Suspicion, and Secrets by Sophie_McKinsley
“You can’t tell her, Harry,” Hermione whispered frantically.

“Why not?” said Ginny viciously.

Katherine was hearing this conversation as she walked up to bed on Sunday night. Since Harry had gotten back, Hermione and Ginny had been arguing in heated whispers. Only a few moments ago had Katherine realized they were arguing over her. She slipped away and was sure no one had noticed. She laid down in bed and closed the curtains. She stared at the ceiling awhile thinking about the weekend. Her eyes fluttered closed as she slipped into a dream in which she was surrounded by a circle of masked men.
***
“Good morning,” Harry greeted her as she took a seat across from him. The sun hadn’t woken her early today and most of the house was already at the table.

“Good morning,” Katherine answered looking around at them. “Where’s Hermione? She had already left before I was up. Is she not down here yet? I could have waited for her.”

Harry shook his head vigorously at her, but he was too late.

“I’ll go get some more toast,” Ron huffed, scowling off down the table.

“He and Hermione had a row last night after you left,” Ginny whispered. “We don’t know what it was about. He won’t say. All we know is that they were having a private conversation away from everyone, and then suddenly, Hermione was yelling at him saying he was stupid. Well, Ron yelled back too, which he hasn’t done in ages. But of all the yelling, we couldn’t actually make out what it was about. It was all too vague.”

“Surprised you didn’t hear, actually,” Harry added. “She stomped and yelled all the way to your dormitory.”

Ron then returned looking thoroughly put out, then said, “Seamus and Dean had the last of it.”

They all sat in uncomfortable silence until it was time to head to their first class. With relief, Katherine headed out to Care of Magical Creatures. When Hagrid asked how everyone was doing, she told him as much about the row as she could. She grimaced at the sound of the far off bell. All the Gryffindors would be together in Herbology next, which meant Ron and Hermione would be together. It had only been a few hours, but she hoped they would sort out what ever the problem was soon, so she wouldn’t feel so anxious. Fortunately, no problem came up in Herbology, but perhaps it was only because Hermione chose to sit with a pair of Hufflepuffs instead of the Gryffindors. What surprised Katherine was that Hermione shot piercing stares not only at Ron but at Katherine and Ginny as well.

During lunch, Hermione retained her expression of disdain while sitting far down the table. Katherine wondered over a swig of pumpkin juice what exactly had made her so angry. She supposed it must have had something to do with the other argument with Ginny, but she couldn’t see how Ron would be the focus of her fury if that were the case. She continued to think it over as she walked to Arithmancy. Maybe she could talk to Hermione after class since Ron would be nowhere near. However she soon realized this was the wrong idea. Professor Vector had partnered them all off to run through tables and she had put Katherine and Hermione together. As Hermione sat down, a huff escaped her and she made no effort to correct Katherine’s answers. When they quizzed at the end of class, Katherine realized that some of her answers had indeed been wrong and she was assigned another two tables before the next class. Fury running through her, she stuffed her books in her bag and rushed out. As she turned down the hall, her bag ripped cleanly in two. She turned around to see Hermione smirking.

“What was that for?” Katherine snapped.

“Like you don’t know,” Hermione answered sarcastically.

“Actually, I don’t. Would you mind filling me in?”

“Yes, I would mind.”

“Hermione, if you and Ron are going through the pits, that’s not my fault.”

“Oh really, well keep your hands off of him then.”

“What!?!” Katherine yelled in bewilderment. The people in the hall were starting to gather around them by now, waiting to see what the argument would become.

“Don’t act surprised. You’ve been trying to take my place since you got here.”

“No, I haven’t. Why would I want to do that?”

“Oh, so now you belittle me.”

“No I didn’t mean it like that. I just…”

“You know, I almost pitied you, until I saw how selfish you were. Besides…” Hermione paused staring around at the crowd, a glint coming to her eye, “You aren’t even that great. I mean who would have missed those questions in there.”

The crowd laughed. Most of them had been in the class and had finished the assignment with no errors.

“Well, I…”

“And why exactly do you follow Harry so closely, you’re more like a crazed stalker than a friend.”

“No I…”

“Really,” Hermione addressed the crowd now, “she keeps a scroll with his schedule and makes little love notes in the margins.”

The crowd laughed, some making cat calls and whistles. Katherine was shocked. Hermione was outright lying to hurt her. The crowd continued to laugh as Hermione continued. Katherine’s head was spinning. She wanted to run.

“Katherine, stay away from Ron. He needs someone good enough and you’re just a nobody.”

“Ms. Granger,” Professor Blue said, parting the small crowd. “Would you care to explain to me why you are harassing someone you claim is your friend?”

Hermione pursed her lips and turned to Katherine glaring, like it was all her fault she was going to be told off. Katherine shook. She had never had to deal with this before. Her eyes flew to Professor Blue, who she expected to be cross at her too, but his eyes were concerned, almost worried. She didn’t want to stay any longer. Without a word, she bent down and gathered her books. She walked through the crowd and made it to the stairs before breaking into a run. Tears blurred her vision as she ran down the staircases. She had almost made it to the Entrance Hall when she turned a corner and ran directly into someone. She apologized with a shaky voice as tears trickled down her cheeks. The person bent down to help her, but instead stretched out a hand to lift her chin.

“Is this your payback for my friends and me running into you?”

Katherine couldn’t speak. Of all the people she hadn’t wanted to see at this moment, he was at the top of the list.

“How fast do you run, anyway? Feels like I’ve been hit in the chest by a Bludger, or one might say in the heart.”

He winked and smiled, but Katherine only dropped her head again to gather her books.

“You’re in a state, aren’t you?”

“I’m not in a state,” Katherine snapped.

“Well, at least I got my answer,” he said, laughing

Silence fell and neither of them moved. Katherine’s feet began to go to sleep. She wanted him to leave so she could finish her crying here.

“What are you waiting on?” she asked looking up at him.

He smiled for a moment, and then let it fade.

“I’m waiting for you to tell me why you’re crying.”

“I don’t think you really want to. It will probably turn out to be pretty long.”

“That’s alright, I have a while.”

She sat down and scooted her back to the wall. He followed suit. She told him all about the argument and all of what lead up to it. After she finished she turned to look at him. He shook a semi-dazed look from his eyes, and smiled.

“It seems to me as though Hermione’s jealous.”

“But how do I fix it?”

“I don’t know, give it time. It’ll most likely blow over.”

“Thanks.”

“I didn’t do anything.”

“Well, you listened.”

“Yea, Mum always says that listening sometime helps more than advice, or something like that. You want to go to dinner now.”

He helped her gather her books and held her bag while she performed the repairing charm. She put her books inside and they walked together down to the Great Hall. As soon as they entered, they waved a short goodbye before turning to walk to a different table.

“Wait,” she said, but it was too late. He was already out of ear shot and she did not want to walk towards the Ravenclaw table in front of the entire school.

Katherine joined Ginny, Ron, and Harry at the end of the Gryffindor table. Ginny looked at her solemnly before offering her some stew.

“Professor Blue was looking for you,” Harry said, reaching for more potatoes.

“You alright?” Ginny whispered.

“Yeah, I was just a little overwhelmed.”

As they ate, Katherine told Ginny all about the incident with the Mystery Man. Ginny was genuinely excited and nearly ran over to the Ravenclaw table herself to find him. Katherine and Ginny stood to leave, deciding not to wait for the boys who were still shovelling in pudding. They had only taken one step before a strong hand rested itself on Katherine’s shoulder. They both turned to see Professor Blue.

“May I see you in my office? You ran off before I could speak to you earlier.”

Katherine turned to Ginny who nodded and sat back down to wait for Harry and Ron. Professor Blue walked swiftly from the hall and lead quickly to his office. He offered a chair to Katherine, who accepted quickly, panting from the brisk pace. The office was very tidy. Three vintage brooms signed by old Quidditch players hung on the wall to the left. In the corner behind the desk sat a carved wooden pedestal with a Pensieve on top. In the opposite corner sat an empty metal perch with a padded table beneath it. The desk in the center had papers divided neatly by class standing near the right edge and a clean in-tray on the left. From behind the desk, Professor Blue watched a model broom stick fly around overhead. Stopping the broom, he said, “Well Katherine, that was quite a show today. Do you mind if I call you Kathy?”

“Yes, and yes I do mind; I prefer Katherine, if you please. But as to the ‘show’, I’m sorry I disrupted the…”

“You disrupted? I think not. I think you showed a great deal of self control today. And I think I will call you Kathy.”

“If I’m not in trouble, why did you ask me to come? It’s Katherine.”

“I wanted to see if you were alright, Kathy.”

“Is this a test to see how long you can annoy me before I hex you?”

“Ms. Evans, don’t forget that I’m a Professor.”

“Well,” Katherine said trying to find an argument, “I’m Katherine, not Kathy, so don’t forget that.”

“Ok, for tonight, we’ll drop it because I did have a point for bringing you here. And that is to ask you if you wish to know what Potter is up to and be a part of it.”

“Shouldn’t that be up to Harry?”

“I’m not asking Harry, I’m asking you.”

“What do I have to do with what he’s doing?”

“Well, he is fighting against the man who destroyed your family. After all, he is your last family alive.”

Katherine looked away. Professor Blue was smiling in a highly self-satisfied way. He knew, that meant he must be with the Order. She frowned in thought.

“Still, I barely know him. If he wishes to request me to join him, I will be more than willing to consider it, but until then…”

“As you wish, I won’t tell you anymore then,” he said a little disappointed, motioning her to the door. “Oh, one more thing.”

Katherine turned from her path and gave him an inquiring look.

“From now on, I expect you to show a little more backbone when others insult you.”

Katherine wanted to smack him. She walked over and stood looking down at him fuming. She opened her mouth to speak, but Professor Blue spoke first.

“I wouldn’t suggest starting with me. Besides, since she was obviously lying, I didn’t see why you even felt threatened.”

His tone was calm and superior and Katherine searched for the words to unleash her anger.

“Well, you may be the Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor, but you are certainly not apt at understanding the emotions of others.”

She stormed out of the office and half up to Gryffindor tower. Maybe he was a little right, but he was still mostly wrong. She hadn’t felt threatened. She had felt hurt and betrayed. She entered the Common Room and checked to make sure Hermione wasn’t with the others before joining them in front of the fire.

“Still not talking?” Katherine asked Ginny as calmly as she could.

“No, she and Harry had a good yell while you were gone, which is really weird. I don’t remember them ever fighting,” Ginny answered in a whispered so neither of the boys would hear.

“It’s my fault,” Katherine muttered more to herself than to Ginny.

“It is not. It’s Hermione’s for being so… so… so stupid.”

“Thanks, but I still feel responsible.”

“Don’t be so selfish. Share the blame,” Harry broke in. “And by the way, keeping to yourselves doesn’t make me and Ron feel anymore wanted than being yelled at.”

“Ok,” Ginny said, “how can we fix things with Hermione?”

“No idea,” Harry concluded.

“Well, that was a helpful contribution,” said Ginny sarcastically.

The group laughed for the first time today and the mood lightened a great deal. It seemed that a silent group consensus was made to let Hermione make amends in her own time. Ginny and Harry began to talk quietly to one another, glancing often to Katherine but soon turning back to each other. After a few minutes, Ron joined them. Katherine wondered if they were talking about what Professor Blue had wanted to tell her. She tried not to think of that conversation, but what had bothered her most was how shocked she was to hear about the memory from the Pensieve again. She felt distanced from her friends. Not only Hermione, but the others as well. They didn’t know about her secret and she couldn’t tell them. They would never trust her if they found out she was Voldemort’s heir. Suddenly a feeling of loneliness swept through her. She wished she could write to Remus, but felt sure he would be doing something important for the Order and she did not want to be responsible for breaking his cover. She excused herself from the others and, although they tried to apologize and stop her, she went up to her dormitory and went straight to sleep.

She had strange dreams that night. Most were unimportant and incongruent, but they ended with the same dream from the previous week and she woke up surrounded again by the strange bright yellow light. Hermione continued her treatment all day. Katherine rushed so fast out of Transfiguration to find Ginny that she didn’t even notice when the
‘mystery man’ tried to flag her down on her way out. She took her place beside Ginny and listened as she spent most of lunch verbally bashing Hermione thoroughly as Ron pushed mashed potatoes around his plate. Katherine, Harry, and Ron ran into Defense Against the Darks Arts class that afternoon almost late after losing track of time. They took the last empty seats at the front of the class.

“Alright, last week we had jinxes and counter-jinxes,” Professor Blue began. “This week we will review curses and counter curses you should already know…”

The whole class had to demonstrate the proper forms of many common curses and they were assigned a two foot scroll on the proper uses of curses and counter curses to be brought in by Friday. There was a great shuffle as the students stood and exited that classroom. But again, like last week, their group was stopped before they reached the door.

“Kathy, please stay if you don’t mind,” Professor Blue yelled across the room.

Katherine rolled her eyes and muttered goodbye to the others before turning back towards the classroom.

“Yes, Professor,” she enquired sarcastically.

He propped himself against his desk with a smug look on his face. Smiling arrogantly he said, “Is that anyway to thank me?”

“For what?” Katherine asked sceptically.

“For what I’m about to tell you,” he answered, crossing his arms and looking very satisfied with himself.

“Then, thank you for being so informative, Professor.”

“You want to know your problem? A lack of respect. But never mind that now, after seeing Dumbledore’s memory I began to research why Voldemort chose you. What made you special? There were many other babies he could have chosen, so why you? Still I’m not sure exactly, but I have found some plausible reasons. One is that you come from very powerful wizarding blood. This is the broadest reason. Then, I found something very interesting. There is a prophecy. Actually, there are two, but the other concerns Harry. This one was the first and is much vaguer. Dumbledore knew about this one and left some writings of what he believed it to mean. He never set much store to Divination, but believed that the study of prophesies allows you to see what other think will happen and what they will most likely do to achieve the outcome the prophesy predicts. In what I found, the first prophesy was about a return to power. It describes only the person who would bring about the change and that person sounds like you. Would you like to know?”

He paused, staring at Katherine. His smile had faded and the look that replaced it was one of pity and concern.

“Do you want to know all I have been able to find out about it?”

Katherine thought for a moment. She could guess at what it might say and knew she couldn’t bear to think of it.

“No,” she said firmly.

“But how will you fight if…”

“No, I don’t want to know.”

Professor Blue stood up and walked over in front of her. He put his hand on her shoulder; it was very strong and comforting.

“You are very brave, you know, facing a whole new world as a different person,” he walked back and leaned on the table again. She stared around the room, not wanting to meet his eye. Knowing he would not get her to ask today, he finally let her leave.

She walked down the stairs and thought about the conversation. Professor Blue seemed very strange to Katherine. At one moment, his comments were biting and cold, but the next he seemed comforting and kind. As she entered dinner, all thoughts of Professor Blue left her mind. She sat down quietly beside Ginny, who was talking to Ron about Quidditch.

“Quidditch trial this Thursday, we’re already behind. Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw have their teams and Slytherin has already had a practice,” Ginny complained to Ron.

“It shouldn’t be too big,” Ron said sighing. “I mean, we have me, you and Harry for sure. I think I’ll keep Coote and Peakes. So, we only need a chaser trial, plus a look at some people for reserve beater and keeper.”

“Will Harry be here this weekend?” Ginny asked.

“Don’t know. Here he is, ask him.”

“No,” Harry answered. “Ron, will you come?”

“Yea, mate. Of course I will.”

The vagueness of their conversation bothered her. She wanted to know what they were doing. She almost regretted turning Professor Blue down, but knew it should be Harry’s decision. She stood and walked out of the Great Hall leaving the others with their dinner. When she entered the Entrance Hall, she smiled to see a familiar face waiting at the bottom of the staircase. The ‘Mystery Man’ began to come to her, but as she took a step toward him, someone took her arm.

“Allow me to escort you to your common room,” said a smooth voice beside her. She turned quickly to see who it was.

“Draco Malfoy,” she whispered to herself.

“How convenient, I do not even need to introduce myself,” he continued, smirking.

“Excuse me, but I was supposed to be meeting him,” she said forcefully. Katherine tried to pull away, but Draco quickly jerked her back to his side.

“Well, you can explain it to him later,” he hissed. “I need to speak with you. Smile as we go by so he knows I’m not going to harm you.”

“So, you’re not going to harm me?”

“No, of course not. Why would I?”

They began to walk. Katherine glanced at the boy as she passed. He had a bewildered, disappointed look on his face. Now she was getting angry at Draco. How could he have ruined this chance?

“What do you want?”

Could he have found out about her secret? His family were Death Eaters according to Harry, maybe he was on a mission.

“I just wanted to extend a warm welcome to you from Slytherin house. My father and mother say for me to watch out for you. I have no idea why, but you must be important if our families are friends. I do feel sorry for you in fact, stuck with all of those pea-brains.”

“You seem quite arrogant to me.”

“No, I just know what is good for you. After all,” he said, brushing her hair out of her face and grasping her hand, “we must protect the pure-blood lines.”

“How do you know I’m pure-blood?” she snapped, finally able to pull away.

“My parents would never ask me to protect anyone but a pure-blood. I know there is something I’m not being told, but I will find out your secret. Good night.”

He walked down the stairs and back into the Entrance Hall. Katherine waited a moment, then ran down after him. She was hoping that her friend would still be waiting down there. She pushed open the door, and hurtled down the staircase. She looked around, but couldn’t see him. She ran back up the stairs to take one last look around. As she turned to walk to the Common Room, she saw him heading up the opposite staircase with his friends. She sprinted to catch him.

“Hey,” she yelled. “Hey.”

He turned to face her, but didn’t smile.

“Yes?”

“I came back to see you,” she said between gasps.

“Yea, well no need to explain, I understand. He’s very popular. At least now I know why you ignored me this morning.”

His voice was cold. Katherine frowned, wondering what was wrong. She studied his face, looking for an answer. Suddenly she realized what was wrong, she laughed in relief thinking about him being jealous that she might be with Malfoy.

“Funny, is it?” he concluded scornfully. He turned and rejoined his friends.

“Wait, I’m not seeing Malfoy,” she said dumbfounded, but he kept walking, leaving Katherine by herself. After a while, she turned and went back up her own staircase. As she turned up the one with the trick step, a hand grasped her shoulder and pushed her against the wall.

“I just thought you should know I saw you with Malfoy,” Hermione said, smirking in satisfaction.

“I…”

“Don’t think for a second I will let you hurt my friends. I know you’ve tricked them, but I can see the truth. You’re a spy, I know it,” Hermione interrupted, pushing her again against the wall. “I’ll be watching you.”

Katherine watched her descend the staircase back towards the Great Hall. After she was out of sight, Katherine continued up to the Tower. When she reached the Common Room, she sat and waited for her friends by the fireplace. When she saw them enter, she sighed with relief. She really needed to speak with Ginny. She stood to greet them, but stopped quickly. Hermione smiled smugly holding Ron’s arm. None of her friends were smiling as they walked up to her.

“What were you talking to Malfoy about?” Harry asked solemnly.

“Nothing, he was trying to butter me up,” Katherine answered turning to each of them pleadingly.

“I doubt,” Hermione answered.

“Hush, Hermione,” Ginny ordered. “You can tell us, you didn’t really do anything did you?”

“This is more serious than just talking to a Slytherin, so just tell the truth about what you said,” Ron added intently.

Katherine looked into her friends eyes. She couldn’t lie and say that she hadn’t really spoken with Malfoy, but they wouldn’t accept her if she told them the truth. That would only make them think she was even more involved with his family and the Death Eaters.

“I was telling the truth, it was nothing.”

She knew at once that she had completely lost their trust. Hermione was now telling the others her suspicions. Katherine left them standing there. Walking up the stairs, she ignored the yells to come back and explain.

She laid in bed staring at the curtain which she had pulled closed. Soon she was lying on the ground crying. Hooded figures were surrounding her. One stepped out and picked her up, saying, “This is where we shall finish. The First Prophecy will save us. Now, it will be fulfilled.”

He laid her down in front of the kneeling, hooded Draco, who was shaking fiercely.

“It shall begin now, boy,” the first man sneered.

Draco lifted his hand and removed his hood and mask. With tears rolling down his face, he leaned over and whispered, “I’m sorry.” Then a yellow light surrounded them. A single yellow beam of what looked like gold connected their chests. It pounded to the rhythm of her heart. Suddenly, she and Draco were weightless and floating above the circle. Both she and Draco had ceased crying and only stared at one another. She saw sorrow and pain in his eyes. Suddenly, a pain shot through her shoulder. She grabbed it and rolled off the bed.

It was still the middle of the night. She stood and stared out the window. The moon was very bright. Her heart was racing and her shoulder felt like it was on fire. She wondered what the dream had meant and what the prophecy really said. Deciding she had nothing left to loose, she pulled on her boots and silently crept out of the dormitory. She guessed by the embers in the fire it was 2:30 or 3 o’clock, but kept going towards the porthole. She slid out and made her way quickly to Professor Blue’s office. She nearly screamed when Peeves flew past carrying a coat rack and chair, but fortunately he didn’t notice her. When she reached the door of his office, she turned the door knob slowly and pressed against the door. However, it remained firmly shut. She tried again, but still nothing. Quietly she drew out her wand and said, “Alohomora.” She pushed as she turned the knob. This time the door gave way and she slid in. Just as she was about to light her wand, a very Scottish voice yelled, “Expelliarmus.” Her wand flew out of her hand, and just as it hit the floor, the lanterns lit.

“Oh, Ms. Katherine, you gave me a good scare. What are you doing here?” Professor Blue yelled angrily, but with relief in his eyes.

“I… I… I had a bad dream,” she said, suddenly very aware that she was wearing a very old fashioned flannel night gown.

He stiffened up as though he was going to yell again, but something stopped him. He exited through a door, presumably to his chambers, and returned holding a thick robe.

“Here put this on and have a seat,” he offered, holding it out.

Katherine did as she was told and sat staring at the floor.

“So, tell me about your dream?”

Katherine told him everything about the dream, then at the end told him about the incident with Draco and Hermione. When she had finished they sat in silence. Finally the silence was broken.

“So what do you want to know from me?”

“Tell me about the prophecy.”
Keeping Quiet by Sophie_McKinsley
“Are you sure?” he asked, his eyebrows raising.

Katherine’s mind raced, she knew that she had to say yes, but still part of her wanted to say no.

“Yes,” she said quickly before she lost her courage.

A smile crept across Professor Blue’s face and for the first time she saw a twinkle in his eyes. In that moment, she forgot how he had been so annoying and couldn’t help but notice how handsome he was, but her attention was brought quickly back to why she was even there.

“Okay, the prophesy says, basically, that Voldemort could be brought to full power through only one person… one heir. He used the Blood Right Charm to make you his only living heir. Powerful magic runs down your family line. That is why he chose you. He wants you because in his mind you are the only one who can help him defeat Harry and once you bring him to power it will be for good.”

He stared fixedly at her, waiting for a response. Katherine sat for a moment.

“Is there anything else?” she whispered.

“Well, yeah,” he began, his excitement leaving him. “There is one other thing, but it’s not important. You should just let me worry about that.”

He did not meet her eyes as he spoke. She didn’t like the sound of what ever she wasn’t being told about the prophesy. It didn’t explain the dream.

“Why was Draco there then?”

“As I said let me worry about the rest of the prophesy, at least for a while,” he said finally making eye contact. “You know what you need to know for now.”

His firm tone was comforting and she said no more about it, turning her attention to what she had to do next. She didn’t want to do this more than anything else, but knew she had to know.

“And what about the second prophesy, the one about Harry?”

“Ah, I wondered if you would ask about that or not,” Professor Blue said. “It basically says he is ‘The Chosen One’ as the Daily Prophet says. The funny thing is, as Dumbledore told me, is that both prophesies only came to be because Voldemort made it so. He created an heir that could refuse to help him, that would be you. Also, he instilled in Harry such a hatred that he could not let Voldemort live and then gave Harry the means to destroy him.”

“You knew Dumbledore?” Katherine said, not able to keep the question from slipping out.

“Yes, I did. He had it set up for me to come here in case he died. I only agreed to do so because I thought it was so unlikely. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. He told me everything I needed to know to accompany Harry, if the time came, and also how to help you. That’s why Harry and I were gone. We were out…”

“Out doing what, Professor?”

“I don’t think I should tell you yet. This next week will decide what I tell you or don’t tell you.”

Silence fell. Katherine fiddled with the belt of the robe, staring at the floor.

“Katherine,” Professor Blue said, breaking the silence, “there is something else. You can’t let anyone, not even Harry, know what you know, and unfortunately, I can’t either. I had to tell Harry about the first prophesy, but he doesn’t know that it means you or that you are his sister. I’m sorry I can’t fix everything between you and your friends, but I have to protect something greater than that.”

Katherine nodded her head. She understood what he meant. School would be different without her friends and there was no way to gain their trust without telling them what he didn’t want her to tell.

“You’ll have to fend for yourself now,” he continued. “You won’t have your friends. Come see me if you need anything. Now, get back to bed.”

He scrawled a note and handed it to her and ushered her out the door. She made it back to her bed without any problems, but found it hard to get back to sleep. She finally fell into a restless sleep, but woke up again as the sun’s light began to slide into the room. She dressed quietly and grabbed her things for Herbology and some extra parchment. While she was lying awake she had decided to write to Remus; he would be able to help her. He seemed calm and reliable. She crept out of the dormitory and found a corner of the common room that was lit enough to see. She pulled out her parchment and quill, but the words to write didn’t come. Staring out the window, Katherine tried to think of what to write. She had to tell him everything, but she didn’t know how. Before she had put a single word down, students had begun to trickle into the common room and down to breakfast. Not wanting to be caught here when any of her friends came down, she shoved her things back in her bag and followed some younger students out of the portrait hole and down to breakfast. She sat alone towards the far end of the table nibbling some toast. After finishing a piece, she finally began to write the letter.
Dear Remus,


School has been going well, but these past few days haven’t. First things first though, can I trust Professor Blue? I need to know, because he has told me a little more about Harry and myself. Also, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny aren’t speaking to me. Well, I don’t believe they will be. We had a row last night. There is a long story that I suppose I should tell you. It started as Hermione being stroppy with me over Ron. Then at the others when they took my side. Then last night Draco Malfoy came to me. He told me his parents told him to watch out for me. Hermione saw us together and thought I was a spy. She told the others, so now they think the same. I don’t know how today is going to go. Last night, something else happened. I had a strange dream. I’ve had it before. I’ll write about it on another parchment and send it with this one. How are things with you? I hope your week has been better than mine. Please send me some advise.

Love,
Katherine


After finishing she wrote a description of the dream and rolled it outside of the letter. While she had been writing, the Great Hall had filled. She spotted Ron and Ginny way down the table and, after turning, could see Hermione and Harry there as well. Thinking it was about time for class, she packed away her things. She walked down the table, keeping her eyes down as she passed the others. As she turned for the door, the ‘mystery man’ caught her eye at the end of his table. He looked up for only a second then turned to the boy who had ran into her and kept talking. As she passed, the one he was talking to said, “So, you’re the new Gryffindor ambassador to the Slytherins, are you?”

Katherine sped up as she heard laughter sweep down the table. She walked alone to Greenhouses, where she grouped with some Hufflepuffs for the assignment. Herbology was getting hard enough for her, but today was especially difficult as her lack of sleep caught up with her. By the end of class her lack of attention had earned her extra homework. After class, she made her to the owlery. She had to ask a professor for directions but finally made it. She called for Maximus who landed gracefully next to her. She tied the letter to his leg and was about to tell him where to take it when it occurred to her that it might not be safe to send it to Remus. If he was doing work for the Order, someone might suspect something. Maximus tugged her robes impatiently.

“Stop, I’m trying to think of who to send it to,” Katherine said, petting his head. She reread the letter in her mind. Then it hit her.

“Take this letter to the Burrow and give it to Mrs. Weasley,” Katherine said, taking out a small piece of parchment and scrawling a quick note to Molly. She tied it to Maximus’s leg and watched him fly away. As she walked down to lunch, she thought about the last two weeks. She had been living in a dream with Harry and his friends. It had not been reality. She had ignored the fact that they were at war and had forgotten about what the Dark Lord had done to her. She had ignored her Aunt’s memory, except for a brief moment during the funeral. As she got lost in her thoughts, Katherine wandered down stairs and through halls she had never been. Soon she was really lost, looking around but not recognizing any thing. Sitting down, she scooted against the wall. She let the memory of the night she left her house pour over her. She went through what Dumbledore had told her and what Remus had said. As she went on to her conversations with Professor Blue, she didn’t even realize that tears had started to run down her cheeks. Somehow, though, the memories felt different today. She did not feel overwhelmed, like the times she remembered them while trying to sleep. As Katherine sat there on the floor, she made a promise that she would do what she had to do in order to fight Voldemort. She stood up and wiped her face. Pulling her hair back, she began to look for a way down the Great Hall.

It wasn’t long before she was setting down by Neville and Dean, two of the few other students she knew in Gryffindor. She pilled her plate with potatoes as she began a conversation with the two boys. It was an awkward conversation, but Katherine appreciated it. She didn’t expect or want to become instant friends, but hoped that they might become real friends over time.

“So, are either of you going to Slughorn’s for the optional potions lesson this week?” she asked.

“No, I’m not in Potions,” Neville said, taking a bite of beans. “What exactly is ‘optional’ potions anyway?”

“It’s an extra class to go over things you’re having problems with or to work on more complicated potions or theories that we don’t cover in class,” Dean said. “At least, that’s the way Slughorn put it.”

“Oh, well at least it’s not Snape teaching anymore,” Neville said.

“So are you going, Dean?” Katherine asked.

“Yeah, I guess so. I need help on the potion from last week. Are you going?”

“Yeah, I am. I hope it doesn’t last long. I have that assignment from Herbology this morning.”

“Neville could help you with it when we get back from Potions. He’s really good at it.”

Katherine turned back to her food. She and Dean walked to Potions together, but sat apart since Katherine was there for extra work and not to review. There weren’t many people there. Dean was one of five who were there for help and the only other person besides Katherine there for extra work was a Hufflepuff, who she thought was named Ernie.

“OK, is there anyone else you know is coming?” Professor Slughorn asked the students. “No, then let’s get started. First, I’ll work with the group that’s reviewing, then I’ll come work with Ernie and Katherine. Until then, both of you think about what kind of things you want learn to make potions for. After that, if I’m still not with you, begin to look over the next chapter.”

Katherine skimmed over the table of contents. She already knew what kind of potions she wanted to learn. If she was to keep the promise she had made to herself, she would need to learn potions she could use to fight Voldemort, but that seemed very broad to her. She saw a section for healing potions, which she knew would be useful. Also, there were transfiguration and poisonous potions. Overwhelmed by the variety of options, she turned to Ernie and asked him, “What kind of potion making are you interested in?”

“Oh, anything to help with the NEWTs really. I hope to become a Healer though, so any potions that would involve that would be helpful.”

When Slughorn returned, Katherine and Ernie both listened as he explained differences between a large variety of potions used for healing. He listed fourteen different ones for them to take down.

“Blood-replenishing potion, boil cure potion, bruise healing paste, burn healing paste, Calming Draught, cough potion, Mandrake Draught, Murtlap Essence, Pepperup Potion, wound-cleaning potion, Consciousness Potion, Draught of Vigour, Draught of Peace, and sleeping potion. These range from the relatively simple potions, with the boil cure potion or Murtlap Essence, to moderately complex potions, such as burn healing paste or Calming Draught, to very complex potions, including the Mandrake Draught and Consciousness Potion. First work on the Draught of Vigour. Before next week, if you decide to come that is, I want you to divide this list into three groups: simple, medium, and complex. Don’t worry if you don’t know how to do one that is simple, it may have not been taught but should be easy to pick up. Also, I want you to describe how each one can be used and in what situations. I’ll return at the end of class to see how your potions turn out. If you need any help, I’ll be helping the others.”

As Slughorn walked away, Katherine and Ernie went to work on the Draught of Vigour. By the end of the period, both students had managed to produce the glowing, golden potion making Slughorn smile and earning twenty-five points apiece. Katherine gathered her things and returned to the common room. That night she worked on her extra Herbology work with Neville and started on her Arithmancy from the previous day. She made her way to bed early and was fast asleep before anyone else entered the room.

After breakfast on Thursday she went to History of Magic and sat alone at the front of the class ignoring comments from Michael. That night she finished her Arithmancy and helped Neville and Dean with some Transfiguration work. Friday night she worked on Charms and went to bed early, but noticed that Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny seemed to be having a good time around the fire. She slept restlessly. Dreams seemed to take her from bad to worse ending with her floating in the midst of hooded figures surrounded by yellow light.

Saturday morning there was no sign of Harry or the others. She had heard them talking about doing something earlier this week but never heard any details.

After breakfast she gathered the potions papers and spent the morning in the library working through the potions. Nothing shook her concentration until Dean was leaving.

“It’s time for lunch. I thought I should tell you because otherwise nothing will get you to leave.”

After lunch, Katherine started back for the library, but after looking at the number of potions left to do, she decided she needed a break. With no one else to spend time with, she decided to go flying. Before the fight, Ron and Harry had told her that old brooms were kept down by the pitch, so Katherine chose a Cleansweep 5 in fair condition. She walked on to the pitch and saw a few boys down the other end practicing Quidditch plays. There weren’t enough for a team, so she assumed the pitch was open. She hadn’t flown in so long; the air on her face was pure exhilaration. She stopped, floating beside the middle goal hoop. She took the ribbon out that was holding back her hair. She wanted to let the air fly through it. Wanting to find out who was flying at the other end, she flew around the edge diving and climbing to get the feel of the broom. As she got closer, the group stopped their play and turned their attention to her. Suddenly Katherine wished she were anywhere but here.

“Look who it is,” Michael said, “it’s little miss Slytherin or Gryffindor… which was it again, Anthony?”

Anthony, Katherine thought, that’s a nice name.

“You spying on us for him?” another boy asked.

“No! And I’ll have you know I didn’t ask him to talk to me! He forced me!”

Michael and the other boy laughed, but Anthony just stared at her coldly.

“Did you hear that?” Michael started. “She expects us to believe her after her cozy escape with Mr. Malfoy. Is he a good kisser? Do you sneak off between…”

“Shut it, Michael,” Anthony interrupted. “Katherine, just go away. I don’t want to hear anymore lies from you.”

Katherine opened her mouth to argue and Anthony rolled his eyes at the thought. However, she thought better of it and only managed to mutter, “Ok then.”

She put the broom back into the closet. Tears were gathering in her eyes, making her vision blur. She sat down in the closet, holding her knees to her chest. She sat there letting silent tears run down her cheeks. Suddenly a door slammed and the closet door shut, closing her in. As she stood up, she heard the boys talking on the other side.

“Anthony, why do you let yourself get so worked up over her?” Michael said.

“Yeah, it’s not like you two were even together,” the other boy added.

There were a few moments silence, then Michael added, loudly, “Don’t you turn away. If we have to put up with your foul mood, you’re going to tell us why!”

“Why,” Anthony yelled suddenly, “because I saw her walk right by me with him and his hand around her waist. He smirked at me, like they had laughed at the very thought of me liking her. Then, she laughed at my face about it. But what make the angriest…”

He paused for a second, then continued without yelling, “What makes me the angriest is that I believe her.”

Suddenly, something hit the closet door making Katherine squeal. The door opened and the other boy stared back at her.

“What is it, Terry?” she heard Anthony ask.

“It’s her,” he answered, than stepped back.

Now, Anthony stared at her. Katherine couldn’t meet his eyes, but rested her chin on her chest. Staring at the floor, she stepped out of the closet and made her way to the door. As she opened it, she turned to face the boys. Michael and Terry stared at Anthony, apparently waiting for him to yell at her, but Anthony just stared at her silently.

“I’m sorry, Anthony,” she whispered, then closed the door behind her.
An Abrupt Lesson by Sophie_McKinsley
Author's Notes:
I'm going to start trying to add in some of the parts of the seventh book. So if you start seeing some, you know why.


She spent the rest of her free-time over the weekend in the library working on her Potions and Arithmancy. Late Sunday night, Katherine saw Harry and the others enter the common room looking tired and dishevelled. She was going to try talk to them, but was distracted when she saw Maximus at the window. She opened it and pulled him inside. It was from Remus.

Katherine,

It’s nice to hear from you. First, I’m sorry your friends aren’t speaking to you. I don’t how much Draco knows. I doubt he knows everything about you, but I’d be careful not to let him find out anything from you. Now to your dream, it does seem very strange. Do you know if you have any powers of Divination? This could be something of that nature. I hear that Firenze is still teaching there, and although I know he doesn’t exactly believe in human Divination processes, he may be able to help. About Professor Blue, he is in the Order and was a confidant of Dumbledore’s, at least when it came to setting plans to prepare a back-up in case he died. I also talked to Ron’s eldest brother, Bill. He said Lorenzo was a year ahead of him in school and was in Gryffindor house. He also mentioned that he and Blue wrote back and forth while he was in Egypt. Since Bill has been back, they’ve been working together doing things for the Order. He’s definitely trustworthy. My advise to you is work hard to learn all you can. You need to be ready when the time comes to fight. Don’t worry about the others, they’ll know who you are soon enough.

Love,
Remus


She folded the letter and put it in her pocket. Finally caught up on her work and ready for the week to start, she gathered her books and went up her dormitory. She piled her things on her trunk and changed out of her robes. Katherine was going to take Remus’ advice and work as hard as she could, and she would start with a good night’s sleep.

Her morning classes seemed to drag on forever. Herbology was particularly boring, but Katherine listened carefully, not wanting any more extra work. Luckily, she was working with Neville who seemed to know what he was doing and was very willing to explain everything over again. That afternoon, Arithmancy went very well. Katherine earned twenty-five points for her explanation of number relation inverts. That night she finished the essay Professor Vector had set them and relaxed with Neville and Dean by the fire.

“Katherine, what was it like being trained at home?” Dean asked her, prodding the fire.

“Well, I got to choose what I studied when basically. I mean, I had to do so much work everyday, but I decided when to do it.”

“Sounds better than school,” Neville said.

“Not really, there weren’t any other witches or wizards my age. I didn’t really have any friends.”

“I think I prefer coming to Hogwarts,” Dean concluded. “I’m glad they decided to keep it open. More parents let their children come back than the professors first thought. I think that the Daily Prophet article about the importance of continuing life as normally as possible and being as educated as possible helped parents see things a little differently.”

Katherine yawned and excused herself. She was tired and fell asleep almost immediately after lying down in her warm, soft bed.

Katherine woke early Tuesday morning and pulled out her Defence Against the Dark Arts book. Today would be the first day to work out of the book and she wanted to read through so she would be prepared. By the time she had finished, it seemed that everyone was awake. She shovelled in some tomato on toast before dashing off to Charms. Half-way through Transfiguration, Katherine regretted not eating more though as she began to day dream of lunch. She was in such a hurry to eat, in fact, she almost tripped over a bag in the aisle. When she side stepped, she ran right into Anthony.

“Sorry,” she said, not seeing whom she had crashed with.

“It’s alright, I wanted to speak with you,” he said strictly. Katherine gaped at him, and followed him as he led her out to the corridor. He walked away from the crowd going to lunch and to a deserted courtyard. He stopped beneath a tree to shield them from the sprinkle that was blossoming into a steady rain and turned suddenly to face her.

“Look, please don’t say anything until I’ve finished,” he began. Katherine shook her head in ascent and waited for him to start.

“Well, I don’t know why you were with Draco. I don’t know why you were in that closet. I don’t know why I don’t see you with your friends anymore. I don’t know why… I don’t know… um… ok, here it is. I believe you. I was just jealous and I’m sorry. In my defence though, I was only jealous because I…um… I like you. But I realize that you’re going through a hard time right now, all the changes happening in your life and not having your friends, so I just want to be your friend right now. So, I’m sorry.”

He looked at the ground where a puddle was forming. Katherine listened silently to the rain pounding a rhythm on the ground. Katherine reached out and lifted his face to hers. She put her arms gently around him and pulled him into a hug.

“Thank you,” she whispered in his ear. Slightly shocked, Anthony didn’t move for a moment, but after coming to his senses he wrapped his arms tightly around her waist. After a few moments they let go and began walking to lunch. As they walked silently side-by-side down the corridor, Anthony began chuckling to himself.

“What?” Katherine asked.

“I was just wondering if ‘friends’ could hold hands,” Anthony said, looking at her and winking.

“I imagine that is acceptable.”

With that, Anthony reached over and took her hand. When they entered the Great Hall, he didn’t let go, but led her to the Ravenclaw table.

“I think you should sit with us today,” he explained, grinning. “Now, I know you know our names, but since you’ve never actually been introduced. I am Anthony Goldstein. This is Michael Corner and Terry Boot.”

Both boys stared at him expressionless until he gave them an ‘I’ll explain it later’ look. They didn’t talk much as they ate, but instead exchanged a few shy glances between bites or brushed arms reaching for seconds. After she finished eating, she excused herself apologetically so she could get to Defence Against the Dark Arts early to talk to Professor Blue. Even though she was soaked to the bone, Katherine couldn’t stop smiling as she walked to the classroom. When Professor Blue looked up at her, he couldn’t help but notice how her eyes sparkled. Her smile was so bewitching, it seemed to cast a spell of silence over him. Luckily, when she dropped her book on the desk it snapped him out of it.

“Ms. Evans, do you realize you are soaking wet?” he asked sarcastically.

“Oh,” she said, finally out of her day dream. “Do you think you could dry me?”

“Yeah,” he said in a bored tone, flicking his wand and drying her robes and hair instantly. “Why are you here so early, Kathy?”

“Well, Lorenzo, oops, Professor Blue,” Katherine said, smirking, “I wanted to see what you thought I should do to prepare for my part in defeating the Dark Lord.”

“What did you say?” he said, standing up and staring at her.

“I said, ‘I want to help fight the Dark Lord’,” she repeated evasively, grinning.

“No, what did you just call me?” he reiterated, making his way around the desk.

“Professor Blue,” she answered, grinning broader and backing away from him.

“No, before that,” he said, finally running her into a desk.

“I… um…,” Katherine stuttered, her smile faltering a little. “Lorenzo.”

“Hmm, no one has called me that since the last time I saw my mother,” he said. Katherine didn’t know whether this was good or bad.

“It sounds better coming from you,” he thought aloud.

“What?” Katherine exclaimed shocked.

“I mean, she is usually angry at me or something like that,” he explained, retreating to his desk. “You say you want to learn more than just the class work. I imagine we can find a time for you to practice outside of class, then.”

“Ok,” she answered, still somewhat taken aback. She took her seat and laid her head down. Soon she was day dreaming of Anthony holding her hand and the hug in the courtyard. She began humming a random tune imagining dancing with him. Soon, students began coming in. By the time Harry, Ron, and Hermione got to class the only table left was the one next to Katherine. However, none of them had time to look disgusted because Professor Blue began, “Ok, we’re done reviewing. I know a little about where you stand, so today we start. We’ll be doing practical lessons. You will be learning how to defend yourself against other wizards first. You are all pretty efficient at disarming an opponent. Now you will learn this new spell that will throw your opponent away from you. I’m sure you know spells that do something similar, but it is important to have a wide knowledge. So to start, Katherine and Harry please step up. Stand across from each other. The incantation is “Abstrudo Carpere”. However, if you want full marks in this class, you must use spells non-verbally. So, on the count of three. One… two… three.”

Harry acted first, but only disarmed her.

“What was that?” Professor Blue demanded.

“I didn’t want to hurt her,” Harry said. “She’s just a girl.”

Just a girl, Katherine thought. This is my chance to show everyone I serious. It’s time to get back to being me. I hexed a boy once for just saying my hair looked funny. I can do this. I can be strong again.

“Ok, again. One… two… three…”

Abstrudo Carpere, Katherine thought hard as she flicked her wand. She had meant it with every part of her, which was obvious as Harry flew across the room. Professor Blue slowed his fall.

“Good! Good! Now everyone else pair up,” Professor Blue said, vanishing the tables to create more room and muttering an incantation on the walls to soften the blow to any flying students. Soon students began flying across the room. As Professor Blue walked around the room, he corrected style for almost every student. He began to make a second round when his attention was captured by silvery weasel flying through the window. The weasel stopped right in front of Professor Blue and whispered in his ear before disappearing. This would have normally disrupted the entire class but as most of them were being thrown into walls only Katherine, her partner, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione noticed anything at all. After the weasel disappeared, those watching saw Professor Blue’s face become ashen and stony. He sat on the front of his desk and rubbed his hands over his clean shaven head. After a few moments he spoke, “Alright, that’s good for today. Take your things and go.”

Most of the class began to shuffle around grabbing there books, but Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Katherine stood still. Noticing that they hadn’t moved, Professor Blue said, “I need all of you to meet me here tonight at nine o’clock. Come together.”

Noticing Hermione glare towards Katherine, he added, “ALL of you. That means bring Katherine with you.”

Professor Blue pushed his way past Ron who was blocking the aisle and walked out the door, leaving an awkward silence. Ron and Harry stared at each other and Hermione glared at Katherine. After a few tense moments Harry spoke, “Hermione, ease up. Obviously, Blue trusts her, and Dumbledore entrusted him to help us, so she’s on our side.”

Katherine looked up from her feet hoping to see kindness in her eyes. However there was still much anger there, but there was no hatred just disappointment.

“Harry, I… umm…” But Katherine couldn’t think of anything to say. She was tired of apologizing. At this moment, Katherine wished more than anything to tell them the secret, but settled for, “See you tonight then.” She left them there.

After dinner that night, she met Anthony and they went together to the library. He shared with her the story of ‘Dumbledore’s Army’, a secret group Harry, Ron, and Hermione had started in their fifth year. As he began to start a new conversation, he stopped quickly seeing her worried expression.

“What’s wrong?”

Inside her a great debate was taking place. How much should she tell him?

“It’s nothing,” she whispered.

“You,” he said smiling, walking around the table to sit beside her, “are a horrible liar.”

He placed his hand on hers. He opened his mouth to speak, but paused, clearly searching for the correct words.

“You’re scared. I can see it. If you have to run again, I’ll come with you. I learned a lot from Harry that year in the DA, I can… I can help you.”

Katherine appreciated his decision, but there was no way to be sure if he would feel the same way when he found out the whole story. Every fibre of her being wished he would, but she didn’t know how to find out for sure. The debate on what to tell him ended and she began speaking, cautiously, “Something has happened, but I don’t know what. Professor Blue is worried though and has asked Harry, Ron, Hermione and me to meet him. I don’t know what will happen or what he wants, but it doesn’t feel right.”

Silence followed her vague explanation, Anthony seemed to be rolling them over. He intertwined his fingers with hers squeezing slightly.

“I will fight to help Harry Potter and I will fight to save you. Whatever it takes, I will fight.”

His words were firm and unyielding. As he spoke, he stared off at nothing particular, but his eyes shown with passion and stubbornness. His statement was followed by a few moments of silence before he looked back into her eyes and smiled a little sheepishly.

Katherine leaned over and kissed his cheek, then whispered softly in his ear, “Thank you.”

Her face felt hot and, seeing that Anthony’s cheeks had turned bright red, she turned away. She stood forcing herself to let go of his hand.

“I’ve got to go back to the common room now,” she said. He stood and walked her with her until he bid her good night and turned to go to his own common room.

When she reached Gryffindor tower it was 8:30. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny sat around the hearth talking quietly. Katherine passed them and sat with Dean and Neville by a darkening window.

“Got a letter from Seamus,” Dean said smiling.

“Who?” Katherine asked.

“Oh yeah, you don’t know him. He’s in Gryffindor, but his mum kept him home this year. Anyway, he’s one of my best mates.”

“I hope it’s good news,” Neville said concerned.

“No, he says there were two big attacks today. No one is saying exactly what happened, but the Minister has been put under higher guard and the Wizarding Wireless is given tips on fighting dementors.”

“Sounds like there’s been a breakout from Azkaban,” Neville added, taking the letter Dean offered him.

Someone tapped her shoulder. Katherine turned to look into the eyes that mirrored her own.

“It’s time,” Harry said simply, then walked off to rejoin Ron and Hermione.

Katherine excused herself and joined them as they climbed out of the portrait hole. The silence that permeated their union was only broken once by the distant sound of Peeves. They entered the room to find Professor Blue standing at one of the windows. The four students stopped a few feet from him waiting for him to speak.

“Potter,” Blue said.

“Yes?”

“It is now the time for you to leave,” Blue said, finally turning to face them. “Katherine, you’ll need to leave soon, too. Harry, I will not be going with you as we had planned, but you know what to do. I will instead be going with Katherine. You, Harry, will be leaving for good tonight, but first we will be going to the Burrow. There is a meeting of the Order, that we all must attend. Professor McGonagall knows you will be gone. Katherine, we won’t be coming back until Thursday. We will stay here, at Hogwarts, as long as it remains safe. All of you need to go gather your things as discreetly as possible. That will be easy for Katherine, but you three need to be very careful. Now go, be back here in thirty minutes.”

He turned away again and Harry, Ron, and Hermione left the classroom together, but Katherine remained.

“You ok?” she asked shortly.

“Yeah, I’ll explain everything to you later, I promise,” he answered with more calmness than he had shown in giving the directions. “Now go get your things.”

She exited the room and saw that the other three were only a short distance in front of her. She sped up and nearly caught them, but Katherine stopped short noticing that they were in conversation.

“How are we supposed to get everything ready and be back in thirty minutes?” Ron said exasperatedly.

“Don’t worry, Ronald. I’ve had our stuff ready for weeks, ever since Bill and Fleur’s wedding.”

“What?” exclaimed Harry in appreciative amazement.

“In that little bag I carried at the wedding,” Hermione said simply. “I used a charm to expand the inside. Everything we need is in there. Anything else you need will fit in there as well. Leave your trunks, they can be sent to the Burrow later. It will bring less attention to us leaving tonight.”

“Hermione, you amaze me,” Ron said a little slack jawed.

“Oh, hush, Ron,” Hermione said modestly.

When Katherine reached the dormitory she gathered her things and shoved them into a haversack. She looked in the mirror and fiddled with her hair. The look was starting to grow on her. She supposed it looked no different from the way she fixed it before, but that perhaps she was just becoming less self-conscious about her appearance. Looking at herself, she could feel something inside. She was getting back to being herself. Even though she knew that the future before her was now something she could have never imagined. At this moment, she was herself again and she knew that she would never again let anything take that away from her. Katherine shook herself out of her musings and rejoined the others to walk back down to Professor Blue’s classroom.

They took a Portkey to a place called the Burrow and Katherine followed the others into the strangest looking house Katherine had ever seen.
The Burrow by Sophie_McKinsley
Molly Weasley greeted them all with a blustered smile and a warm hug, ushering them into the kitchen. Professor Blue began to talk in whispers with a tall, black wizard. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were talking to Molly, Arthur, and the twins. Katherine felt a excluded until she was pulled into a big hug.

“Remus.” She smiled.

“Is it going any better?” he asked quietly, nodding towards Harry.

“Well, a little,” she answered truthfully, hoping to avoid furthering this conversation.

“Well,” he said beaming, “I have news for you.”

He side stepped, revealing a woman with pink hair.

“This is Nymphodora Tonks, although we call her Tonks,” he began. The woman smiled warmly. “We’re getting married.”

Tonks beamed and added, “We haven’t told anyone but my parents yet. We wanted family to be the first to know.”

Katherine was both excited and overwhelmed. She pulled Tonks and Remus into another hug.

“That’s brilliant,” she said, finally finding the words. “When’s the wedding?”

“Soon,” Tonks said. “It’ll be small, just family and close friends.”

“Ok, everyone take a seat,” said a man with a very scarred face and mismatched eyes, one of which was moving freely of the other.

As Katherine looked around, she saw that the room was more crowded than she had first noticed. She moved to sit by Remus, but Professor Blue’s firm hand pulled her to stand with him by the wall.

“Ok,” whispered Professor Blue, “I’ll go around the room. You know Molly, Arthur, Fred, George, Harry, Ron, and Hermione. That is Bill and Fleur Weasley. Bill is the eldest of Arthur and Molly’s children. That young man is Lee Jordan, I think I heard Molly say. Of course, you know Remus and Tonks. That man is the Auror Kingsley Shacklebolt. I worked with him when I was at the Ministry. There is Mundungus Fletcher and Elphias Doge. Oh and lastly that is Alastor Moody, or as we call him ‘Mad-Eye’. He’s the fiercest Auror I’ve ever heard of. He’ll get this started soon, but I thought you’d like to know who everyone is.”

“Thanks,” she whispered back, watching as the last had finally settled into place.

“Alright, alright,” Mad Eye began. “Straight to the point then, You-Know-Who is preparing to take the Ministry.”

“Didn’t we already know that?” Bill asked.

“Yes,” Moody continued, “but now we know it is coming soon. Sooner than we first thought. We have information that more senior Ministry officials are under his control. His ranks have swelled enormously from the escapees of Azkaban today. He will not want to wait long before making his move. This meeting is to let everyone know what to do when that happens.”

Mad-Eye proceeded to give each person directions on what to do as soon as Voldemort had the Ministry under his control. There were many discussions over the best approach to different situations, but no argument arose. Throughout the whole meeting no one mentioned anything about the four Hogwarts students in the room. Not until the end did Moody even mention Professor Blue’s role.

“Blue, when the fall occurs, you and Minerva will have limited time to evacuate the Muggle-born students. This is very important because once they take Hogwarts, the Death Eaters will use it as a prison to keep the Muggle-born students in until they are ready to deal with them. They won’t take long to get to Hogwarts after they’re in control, so every second counts.”

Professor Blue simply nodded and Moody continued, “Everyone else, when you finish you tasks go find other Muggle-born wizards and witches. Help them get away before it’s too late. I think that’s about it for tonight. Any one have anything else to add?”

There was a murmur of agreement and the meeting was over. Blue turned quickly to Katherine and said, “Stay here for a moment.”

Then he walked through the small crowd so that Katherine could no longer see him. Soon he returned, followed by Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Bill. He motioned for her to follow.

“Ron, can we use your room?” he asked when he reached the bottom of a staircase.

Ron glanced at Harry, then said, “Sure, this way.”

Ron began to walk up the stairs and everyone followed in silence. Katherine sighed in relief as they stopped climbing and filed into a violently orange room. After everyone had entered Blue locked the door and muttered, silently tapping the door with his wand.

“Ok, everyone. Here is the reason I brought you. Harry, it is time for you to leave Hogwarts, no more weekend gallivants. Ron and Hermione, I assume you’re going with him?”

Both nodded in agreement.

“And what of the decoy, Ron?”

“Yeah, it’s still set up.”

“Well then, everything will go as previously planned, except I won’t be with you. Is that right?”

Harry nodded.

“Alright, then you should decide everything from here on only among yourselves. Good that’s everything then.”

“What did she have to come for then?” Hermione asked, attempting not to sound indignant.

“Well, if she is missing from school for one day, at the same time as some previous friend… Do you see? It buys you one day.”

“Now, could you three leave so I can have a private conversation with Bill?”

This was not really a question. He was telling them that their conversation was over and he had more business to cover. Hermione left first without a word. Harry and Ron followed soon afterward wishing Professor Blue good luck and shaking hands in an awkward goodbye. Bill closed the door behind them putting on more enchantments. As he turned back his face broke into a small grin.

“So, you really going to let them go do this alone?” he asked quizzically.

“I think Dumbledore never really intended for me to go with them,” Professor Blue answered, talking to himself as much as Bill. “He only wanted me to help them at the first. He gave me everything I needed to choose, but in the end, he knew I’d have to go with her.”

“I don’t think he could ever stop teaching,” Bill said reminiscently.

“What are you two going on about?” Katherine asked exasperated, tired of remaining quietly tucked at the back.

“Blue wasn’t joking when he said you were fiery, was he?” Bill said laughing. “I think you might have a little red-head in you.”

“Ok, can we get to the point now?” Katherine began. “Why did you bring me, really?”

“I needed to tell you what’s going on,” Professor Blue answered. “Today, there was a breakout from Azkaban.”

“I know,” she interrupted. “I’m not deaf.”

“Well, that’s not all that happened today. My family was… interrogated by Death Eaters. They know I’m teaching at Hogwarts and they know that I’m close to known Order members, although they don’t know that I am a member myself. Also, they are looking for someone else. They are searching for the Seer who gave the prophesy about you. You-Know-Who does not wish to make any mistakes. Once he has you he wants no doubt that the prophesy has been fulfilled.”

“Yeah, but I thought he would do that anyway,” Katherine said, softly.

“No, he doesn’t have to. This shows us that he is taking this seriously. It shows us that he will not give up on getting you until he has you.”

Katherine thought about this for a moment. She didn’t know exactly what she was feeling, but amid the muddled emotions she recognized helplessness. It must have shown, because when Professor Blue began to speak again, it was in a more comforting tone, “But that’s what we’re here for. That is the real reason I brought you with us. I wanted to make a plan for when the Ministry falls. I think that getting you out of Hogwarts is the first thing we want to do. I need to stay and help get other students out, so we need a meeting place. When you get out of the Hogwarts grounds, you need to Apparate to Shell Cottage.”

“Where’s that?”

“That is where Fleur and I live,” Bill said with a slight smile. “You’ll stay with us until Blue can get away from Hogwarts.”

“As soon as I get away, I’ll come get you. When you get back to Hogwarts, you need to get everything ready so you’re ready to leave whenever the time comes. Don’t pack everything though. I think, well you are a girl, so three sets of robes or something like that. You’ll need some sweaters for the winter, too. If you have any books you want to bring, but I’ll be bringing others as well. You get the idea. Anyway, when you have it all together bring it to me and I’ll pack it with my things.”

“What if I need it?” Katherine asked indifferently.

“Keep what you need, but pack it all in that bag you brought today so you can just grab it and go if need be. Is there anything else?” Blue said, looking at Katherine and Bill. Both shook their heads.

“Well, Katherine, I need to speak with Bill. If you go find Molly, she can tell you where you’ll be sleeping.”

Katherine left the room and climbed down the long staircase. She found the kitchen where Molly and Arthur sat talking at the table. Looking around the room, Katherine saw that the twins were eating cake down the table. They all looked up at her as she entered.

“Professor Blue and Bill are still talking,” Katherine told the room at large.

“Harry, Ron and Hermione are in the other room. There’s some cake if you’re hungry.”

“No, thank you,” Katherine answered, but took a seat anyways and studied the wall.

“So, you’re the spy who is sneaking around with Draco Malfoy,” one of the twins said.

“Not really,” she answered, turning to face them.

“Well, at least you sound convincing,” said the other, smiling.

“I think she’s telling the truth, George,” the first said, turning to his brother.

“Na,” said George, shaking his head, “she’s lying. I’ve got a fifth sense about these things.”

As the argument continued, Katherine couldn’t help but laugh. Finally the twins reached a compromise.

“Are we in agreement?” George asked in mock seriousness.

“I think we are dear brother,” Fred began in a pompous tone. “We must cut out her spleen.”

George roared with laughter, then said, turning to Katherine, “It’s nice to meet you. I’m Forge and this is Gred. We are the cream of the Weasley crop.”

“We’ve got all the brains of the family,” Fred added, smiling contently.

“Ah, here they are,” Molly exclaimed from behind her. Katherine turned to see who was there and saw Bill and Professor Blue coming into the kitchen.

“Well, now we get to bed,” she said, calling the others into the kitchen. As the entered, she began to tell everyone where to go.

“Ron and Harry, you’ll be in Ron’s room. Hermione, you can go to Ginny’s room. Fred and George, your old room is good enough for you for one night. Lorenzo, you can stay in Bill’s old room. Katherine, why don’t you stay with Herm…”

Professor Blue coughed loudly and shook his head, stopping Molly from finishing.

“Katherine,” she continued, thinking about where to put her.

“Why doesn’t she take my room and I’ll sleep on the couch?” Professor Blue suggested.

Molly smiled and said, “That sounds lovely. Now everyone, off to bed.”

Harry, Ron, and Hermione left with only a goodnight to Molly, who frowned.

“They really are angry at you, aren’t they?” she asked.

“I suppose,” Katherine answered, looking after them.

“I think I’d more than suppose,” Bill said laughing.

“Fred and I think she’s merely a pawn,” George said.

“We think they’ve stolen her mind and replaced it with one of a Crumple-Horned Snorkack,” Fred finished.

“Who are ‘they’?” Professor Blue asked indulgently.

“Oh,” began George in a sinister tone, “the infamous ‘THEY’!”

Everyone laughed, but was soon being ushered to bed. Bill left after hugging his mother, who immediately turned to shoo Fred and George upstairs.

“Let me show you where to go,” Professor Blue said to Katherine. “My bag was put in there anyway.”

He followed Arthur up the stairs but passed him up when Arthur entered the first door. Professor Blue continued up the stairs until he reached the fourth landing, entering a dark, wooden door. Moonlight shown into the room and illuminated the small desk, wardrobe, and bed that were its only occupants. Professor Blue grabbed his bag from the floor and muttered, “Good night, Katherine.”

Katherine closed the door behind him and locked it. She put her bag on the desk and pulled out her nightgown. As she pulled the blanket, she wished things could be easier, but put the thought from her mind and lost herself in dreams.

Someone was knocking on the door, but Katherine just rolled over in the warm bed. They knocked again and Katherine threw something at the door.

“Katherine,” Professor Blue’s voice yelled through the door, “wake up!”

Katherine finally gave in, pushing the blanket off of her. Standing up, she stretched slipping on a pair of jeans.

“KATHERINE,” Professor Blue yelled even louder.

Out of his sight, Katherine did not try to stop herself from rolling her eyes. With her nightgown over her pants, she opened the door and said, “What did you want me to come out in my pyjamas?”

“No, but Merlin’s beard, it’s a wonder they got you out of that house before the Death Eaters got you,” Professor Blue said with much exasperation and anger.

Katherine’s voice caught in her throat. She knew he hadn’t meant to, but he had caught her off guard. Now memories of that night were sweeping over her and left only a deep feeling of loss. Professor Blue saw his mistake immediately.

“I… that…,” he began, stumbling for words. “That was out of order. I didn’t mean it.”

“How come people say things they don’t mean?” Katherine said bitingly, then closed the door to change. When she left the bedroom to go downstairs, Professor Blue was still standing there.

“I’m sorry,” he said, clinching his teeth.

“I’m not mad at you,” Katherine said, then seeing how difficult it was for him to apologize added, “It’s ok, I forgive you.”

His face relaxed a little as he led the way to the kitchen. Katherine was slightly surprised to see Harry, Ron, and Hermione were still there, when she entered the kitchen. She took a seat away from them next to Fred and George.

“Morning,” Fred said, buttering a piece of toast. Katherine smiled and spooned some eggs onto her plate. Professor Blue sat next to George and took a piece of toast.

“Katherine, today you’ll be working with me on defensive spells and such,” he said while reaching for the butter. After he had finished only a single piece of toast, he left the kitchen.

“Strange man,” George said, taking some more eggs and toast. He looked up to face Fred and Katherine and explained, “He didn’t take seconds.”

Laughing, Katherine took a drink of milk.

“I’d be careful if I were you,” Fred said, suddenly serious. “There nothing worse than laughing and having milk come out your nose.”

She rolled her eyes, looking across from her at George who was laughing. He looked back at her and stopped laughing.

“Wow, your eyes look so familiar,” he said, mouth open he looked deep into them. “Take a look, Fred.”

Fred pulled her head around to face him, saying, “Yeah, I know I’ve seen those eyes before. They’re so green. It’s almost like…”

He stared for a moment more, but shook it off. Katherine smiled but averted her eyes for the rest of breakfast. Fred and George both left soon afterward, hugging their mother and kissing her goodbye. Katherine went outside to find Professor Blue. As soon as she stepped outside she saw him flying twenty feet in the air.

“OI,” she yelled up at him.

He looked down and finally saw her. Flying down, he landed beside her.

“Ok, now that my pride is beginning to recover, we’ll be duelling all day,” he said smiling. “We’ll only stop if I think of a new spell to teach you.”

Professor Blue was true to his word. He spent all day teaching Katherine new spells, making her practice them until she was proficient. They only stopped once for lunch, before they were finished for the day. When Professor Blue finally announced that they had finished, Katherine lay right down in the grass closing her eyes.

“Hmm,” he hummed. “Somebody looks a little tired.”

“No, just exhausted.”

Katherine opened her eyes and stood up.

“So, why are Harry, Ron, and Hermione still here?” she asked.

“They will Disapparate at the same time we do, but to a different place. That way it appears as though they are with us. Also, with us here it buys them a day to plan their moves before they go out. Do you see?”

Katherine nodded and began to walk back to the house. When she entered the kitchen the unmistakable smell of good food filled her up. Suddenly she was hungrier than she had been in days. Everyone sitting around the table appeared to feel the same way. Fred and George had returned for dinner and were levitating food off of Ron’s plate while he was turned away. Dinner was wonderful. Katherine enjoyed the buzz of conversation that filled the kitchen. Laughter punctuated the air around Fred and George every now and then. Katherine saw that Molly sat silently observing the table. The smile on her face beamed, but tears were forming in her eyes. Finally everyone had eaten their fill and leaned back from the table. The sky outside was getting dark and made Katherine wish she was laying in bed. Conversation went on until Professor Blue stood and announced, “We really must be going now. Everyone get your things.”

After gathering their belongings, they walked out the door saying goodbye to Molly, Arthur, and the twins. While Ron finished a last conversation with his family, Katherine grabbed Harry and pulled him aside.

“Harry, I wanted you to know,” Katherine began quietly, “I never betrayed you. If you ever need anything, don’t hesitate to ask. I will miss all of you very much. So, watch out for each other, because I still need to earn your forgiveness.”

Finally, they had finished saying goodbye and walked down the path to the gate. All of them standing side by side, Professor Blue whispered, “Good luck, Potter. All of you stay safe.”

Then, in his normal voice, he said, “Ok everyone, Apparate on three.”

“One...”

Katherine took in what might be the last time she saw Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

“Two…”

She saw Molly, Arthur, Fred and George waiting for them to Disapparate, the men smiling and Molly crying.

“Three…”

The image of the Burrow was burned into her mind as all sight turned to darkness.
In the Dark by Sophie_McKinsley
When Katherine reached her dormitory, it seemed strange to see Hermione’s possessions still at her four-poster bed. The darkness of the moonless but clear night spilled in the window. She could hear only the heavy breathing of the sleeping occupants. Stumbling clumsily through the pervading darkness, Katherine smashed her little toe on her trunk. She fell to her bed clutching her foot. Warm tears came to her eyes as she rested her head on her pillow. She wasn’t sure whether they came from pain or if she was finally giving in to the fact that she may never see Harry again. The thought had been running through her mind since Professor Blue had told Harry to leave. In that moment, Katherine had felt the full weight of her secret pressing against her chest, trying its best to break out. She turned over and pulled the blanket over her, shaking off the pressing feeling that was making her draw breath in shudders. Eventually, sleep took over and all thoughts of the day gave way to vague dreams where she was encircled by hooded men.

The next morning Katherine walked to breakfast alone. As she took a seat at the end of the Gryffindor table, Anthony slid onto the bench across from her.

“So, what happened?”

“Well, that’s nice... don’t ask how I am then!” Katherine answered, but smiled and continued in a quieter voice, “I won’t be leaving yet. He just needed to take me to a meeting. You know, to let me know what I would have to do when it is time for me to leave here.”

A look of relief relaxed the rather tense look on his face before he asked softly, “Did you ask about whether I could come with you?”

“No,” Katherine answered. “After I saw that I wasn’t leaving, I thought I’d wait to ask until Professor Blue wasn’t as preoccupied.”

He looked at her sceptically, before smiling and saying, “I guess I shouldn’t be mad. After all, we should make the most of however much time we have left here. I think we should just relax for while and not worry about what’s going on out there.”

“Yeah,” Katherine agreed, spooning food onto her plate. Yet in her mind she knew that she couldn’t ignore the war. She’d have to train and stay focused, but decided to hide that from Anthony.

Anthony went back to his table, looking back once to smile. Katherine stood after finishing breakfast and left for class. As she made her way through a sun-lit hall, she felt a tug on her sleeve. A young girl who couldn’t have been older than her second year handed Katherine a sealed letter and shot back down the hallway without a word. Katherine broke the seal and opened the note.
Katherine,

Duelling this afternoon. I have no classes so I’m free. Also, we will have duelling on Saturday mornings until we leave. Destroy this note or keep it somewhere very safe. We don’t want to let just anyone know what we’re up to.
Prof. Blue
Katherine put the letter in the bottom of her bag and continued to her class. That afternoon she met Professor Blue in his office and they duelled for hours. For four weeks they continued their duelling meetings on Thursday and Saturday and Katherine continued going to the extra potions lessons on Wednesdays accumulating a small store of useful potions both simple and complex, including Pepper-up potion, Calming draught, Murtlap Essence, Invigorating draught, Wound-cleaning potion, Sleeping Draught, even Blood-replenishing potion which she had to slip secretly into her bag to avoid explaining why she wanted it, and a variety of antidotes. She also began gathering potion ingredients in case she needed to make something after leaving. Each day she packed something new away, but her trunk was starting to get very full. All the while, Katherine hid it from Anthony. She knew he wanted to ignore anything that meant she would soon be leaving, so she always made up some excuse when he got suspicious.

“Bloody rain,” Anthony muttered, sitting down across from Katherine at lunch on a cold, rainy Friday in the middle of October. It had been rainy for a week straight, and he was in a bad mood.

“I don’t know. I like rain,” Katherine said, dipping some roast potatoes onto her plate.

“Yeah, well I liked it on the first day, maybe even the second,” he defended. “But this is a bit much.”

Katherine smiled at his sullen expression, but took a big bite of pork chop to hide it when Anthony looked up at her. As Katherine was dipping her second portions, a young girl came up and handed her a sealed note.

“Professor Blue said it was urgent, Miss,” the girls muttered, before scampering off to the Hufflepuff table.

“Oh, what does he want now?” Anthony asked, scowling.

Katherine rolled her eyes and said, “How should I know? I haven’t opened it yet.”

“Well, if you ask me, he’s taken too much interest in you lately.”

“What are you talking about?”

“He is either sending you messages, making you stay after class, or asking for a ‘private word’. I wouldn’t mind if you at least acknowledge it, but sometimes I think you like it.”

Anthony was talking very loudly now and starting to draw attention from those nearby. Katherine was now getting a little worried. If the wrong person heard, Professor Blue would be very unhappy with her.

“Hey, it’s ok,” she said softly. “I understand what you’re saying, but let me explain.”

“Oh, so you are ok with it,” Anthony yelled.

“I didn’t say that,” Katherine said without the softness of before.

“So, explain then!”

Katherine took a deep breath, and then began whispering very quickly, “He is just helping me with stuff. You know, helping me prepare for when I have to leave. It’s nothing much at all. He just tells me what I need to know as it comes to him. It seems crazy to me to, but I have to listen because I have to be ready for whatever is out there when I leave.”
People where now staring at them. Afraid that someone might have heard her, she added, “You know I’m worried about my N.E.W.T.s in Defence against the Dark Arts.”

“What?” he said, now barely audible. “I thought we wanted to wait until we had to leave to worry about that.”

“We will,” she whispered softly. “What he is telling me isn’t anything serious, just little stuff. I’ve got to go now, we’ll talk later.”

“There’s a Hogsmeade weekend tomorrow. I was planning to take you out, but... I don’t know... I’ll talk to you later,” he said very distantly as they stood to leave. He took her bag from her saying, “let me carry that.”

Katherine followed him out to the Entrance Hall. He stopped suddenly, looking around as though he just realized where he was.

“Katherine, I know you have to go meet with Professor Blue. But I need to tell you something first. Is that ok?” Anthony asked, his tone dramatically changed, almost begging.

Katherine nodded; hoping she was wrong about what she thought was coming.

“I’m sorry for yelling, but I’m just trying to understand you. I know that we haven’t been together very long, but that is what scares me. With each day that goes by, I realize more and more that I’m not going to be going with you when you leave.”

“That hasn’t been decided yet, you still may be able to...”

“Let me finish,” Anthony said, smiling slightly for the first time today. “It’s ok. I’m ok with staying here if it is my place to fight, but I’m still worried about you going off with Professor Blue. Not because I don’t trust that he’ll keep you safe, but he might steal your heart away from me.”

This surprised Katherine very much. She had never thought of Blue like that and she was sure he had never thought of her that way either. Softly she said, “Oh, don’t worry about that.”

“But I do. I can’t help it, because I... I...”

But he couldn’t finish. He looked at the floor for a moment. Then suddenly, he pulled Katherine to him wrapping his arms tightly around her waist. Then, to Katherine surprise, he pressed his lips firmly against hers. Katherine closed her eyes. She had never been kissed before. After what seemed only a moment, Anthony pulled himself away.

“You better go. We’ll talk later,” he said, and then walked back into the Great Hall.

Warm tears formed in Katherine’s eyes as she opened the note from Blue.
Katherine,

Whenever you get a chance I need to talk to you. Don’t take too long. It’s urgent.
H L Blue
When she entered his room the final tears rolled down her face. Professor Blue was at his desk, looking over what appeared to be very old maps and notes. She walked forward silently and stood in front of his desk. It took about half a minute for him to realize she was there.

“Oh, sorry,” he said, laughing. “I’m a bit preoccupied. I was just going to tell you that I can’t... hey are you ok?”

He had noticed her red eyes and the tear streaks on her cheeks.

“I’m fine,” she answered. “I was just thinking about when we’d have to leave. I’ll miss living like this.”

“Oh, well it’s always hard to leave Hogwarts behind, for any reason. Now to business, we won’t be meeting tomorrow. I have some things I need to... take care of.”

“When will you be back?” Katherine asked. She was beginning to feel better. Tonight she would be able to talk to Anthony and tell him everything.

“Oh, are you worried about me, Kathy?” he said chuckling. “I’ll be back by the middle of next week. Don’t miss me too much.”

“I’ll do my best,” Katherine said sarcastically, but changed tone to ask, “So what are things really like out there?”

“Well, frankly, the Order doesn’t know why the Ministry hasn’t been taken yet,” he answered, becoming very serious. “I don’t think it will be long before it falls. But even now, the Death Eaters are causing so much destruction. A lot of people have been killed that aren’t even acknowledged. The Order knows who most of the Death Eaters are in the Ministry, but we can’t convince the Minister to have them brought before the Wizengamot.”

“What if the Ministry falls before you get back?” Katherine asked, meeting his eyes. They were very blue, and although she could see worry in them, but there was also hope. For the first time, she could see that there was something hidden inside him.

“Nothing changes. You still need to get the Shell Cottage as soon as you can and wait for me.”

“I meant what about you. Are you going to come back here to help the Muggle-borns?”

“If I can, I will. If I have time that is.”

“I see,” Katherine said, glancing at her watch. “Oh no, I’ll be late for potions. I really must go.”

“Alright, I’ll let you know when I get back,” he said, lacking the joy he had when she first came in.

Katherine rushed down to the dungeons and fell in line behind a Slytherin she didn’t know.

That evening at the end of dinner Anthony took his usual place across the table, asking, “So, any news?”

“Not really, he was just letting me know that he would be gone for a little while. He didn’t tell me how long or why though,” answered Katherine, hoping that Anthony wouldn’t interrogate her further.

“That’s ok for now though. Maybe you’ll have a little more free time for other things,” Anthony said, winking slyly, suddenly cheering up.

“I see your feeling better,” Katherine chuckled.

“Well, it stopped raining long enough for me to take my broom out this afternoon. I had some de-stressing time with my mates.”

“You should try that more often,” Katherine said, standing up after finishing the last of her pudding.

“Sometimes I think you might be too cheeky,” said Anthony as they left the Great Hall. “I’m supposed to meet Terry and Michael to play Exploding Snap.”

“Oh,” Katherine said, disappointed. She had hoped to be able to talk to Anthony without one of them starting off shouting. “I need to go to the Library to study tonight anyways. I have to research for a Herbology paper due on Monday.”

“Hogsmeade tomorrow though,” he said consolingly, noticing her disappointment.

“Will you make me a promise?” she asked, smiling. He nodded and she continued, “No yelling tomorrow.”

Anthony laughed causing a group of Slytherins, including Draco Malfoy, to turn and look. He squeezed her hand which she didn’t remember him taking and led the way slowly up the stairs until they reached the point where their paths separated. Anthony looked around to see if they were alone then leaned in and kissed her cheek softly.

“I’m sorry I’m not as brave as other people or as strong, but I used to be. You just make me weak,” he whispered, his mouth only centimetres from her ear. His breath tickled her neck pleasantly, but she had to force herself not to recoil from the sensation. “I trust you. So if you decide to keep me in the dark again, just be willing to hold my hand.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=49220