Alive Once More by Nostalgic128
Summary: Hermione is lonely and sorrowful after the war has ended. Her closest friends died in battle and she is now alone. She has immersed herself in her work and studies.
At the War Anniversary, Severus Snapes decides to approach her, being an admirer of her achievements. And therefore, a great friendship begins to unfold...and maybe something more.
NEW CHAPTER ADDED; WILL HOPEFULLY BE UP SOON! Keep checking:)
Categories: Hermione/Snape Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1059 Read: 1659 Published: 04/20/06 Updated: 04/24/06

1. Chapter 1 by Nostalgic128

Chapter 1 by Nostalgic128
Author's Notes:
This is my first fanfic. I hope everybody likes it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Disclaimer: everything you recognise is J.K.Rowling's work. Not mine. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He hadn't seen her in two years. The last time he had, it was at the last battle. She was weary and pale, in shock at the loss of her closest friends, Ron Weasley and Harry Potter. He had spent a long time watching her walk between the bodies strewn on the ground, as though unable to believe that they were really gone from this world. He didn't see her at the War Anniversary last year and he didn't really expect to. He ached to think how much she was sufferieng. Afterall, he had endured the same torture four years ago....


Severus Snape had been forced to kill Albus
Dumbledore. Dumbledore had made him promise to kill him when the time comes so he can remain a spy for the Light side and so he can save his and Draco Malfoy's lives. Guilt still coursed through his veins whenever he thought about his actions that night. He had killed the only man he had ever loved and trusted and he knew that he would never forgive himself, no matter what Dumbledore had said before. Damn Voldemort. It was all his fault. All this pain and sorrow. All the innocent lives lost forever. But Severus remembered with satisfaction the Last Battle.


That night, he was finally able to show where his true loyalties lay. He no longer needed to play a false role.
The light side was able to show the Death Eaters their undeniable strength. And Voldemort...Voldemort finally met his end by an ancient spell of Love, a power that he never had and a power that, while it could nurture the good, could destroy the evil. But before Voldemort disappeared from this world, he took Harry Potter and Ron Weasely with him. Snape had never liked them but he could not help but feel sadness at their loss...They were great heroes and fighters in the war.


Severus Snape was jerked out of his thoughts when the music started. He was at the second War Anniversary held in Hogwart's Great Hall. He could not help but feel his disdain for this event increase. How could people frolic and laugh on such a day? A day meant for rememberance and respect for the dead? He watched as she drew herself out of the crowd, frowning, her elegant black dress billowing behind her as she walked out of the doors and into the gardens. He was quite surprised that she came this year. Maybe she wanted to regain contact with the wizarding world. He knew that she had deeply immersed herself into her work and studies after the Last Battle and barely kept in touch with her remaining friends. He had to admit though, her achievements in potion-making were quite impressive and she was now known world-wide for her developments on the Wolfsbane potion.


However much he wanted and tried to deny it, he was deeply attracted to her. Not for her looks, but for her intellect and intelligence. He had never seen such a clever, bright, and responsible woman who was not obsessed with her looks but rather, with her studies. Though concerning looks, she wasquite attractive. Her hair was not so bushy anymore and she was now curvy and tall. She was not really that beautiful but something about her attracted him. Was it her eyes? Full of sorrow and meaning? Or was it her expressive features? Or maybe it was the dignified way in which she carried herself? He truly did not know...


He suddenly developed an urge to talk to her. To get to know her better. But if he tried, would she laugh? Would she scorn his advances? But he did not care. He had endured much rejection before. He simply had to talk to her. He walked towards the doors and out of them. He walked as silently as possible, wanting to leave her unaware of his presence. But difficult times in the war have taught them all to constantly be aware of their surroundings.


"Good Evening, Professor," Hermione said, turning and looking straight into his eyes.


"Good Evening, Miss Granger," he replied softly. "How have you found this Anniversary so far?"


"I should not have come," she said coolly, trying to keep her face expressionless. "It pains me to see how quickly people have forgotten those long gone."


"You are right, Miss Granger," he agreed. "But perhaps you can stay a bit longer. I wish to discuss with you your work. I have heard that you have been quite into further developing the Wolfsbane potion?"


"Oh yes! I have made considerable progress since i first started though," she replied, excitedly. It was apparent that this was a subject that she favored. " I discovered that adding a bezoar to the potion erase several risks. Also, did you know that the use of Belladonna does not decrease pain at all? In fact..."


Hermione and Severus continued to chat like old friends until the very end of the night. They both extremely enjoyed the conversation. Severus could tell that he had gotten her mind off of painful memories, and that greatly pleased him.


"Well, I really enjoyed discussing this with you, Professor. Perhaps...perhaps we could talk more often?" Hermione suggested hesitantly, her eyes lowered, as though afraid of scorn or rejection. But that was not to be. In fact, Severus' heart soared with happiness.


"You can contact me any time you wish, Miss Granger." he said, hoping he didn't sound too obvious. "It is delightful to be able to talk with someone knowledgeable about something that interests me so." The hesitancy and sorrow in her eyes instantly disappeared. Her eyes now sparkled with excitement and...was it admiration?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, i hope you liked the first chapter. PLZZZ review?? this is my first fan fic and i really want to know what the readers think. I wont add a chapter if you dont review (what's the point of adding one if you dont review?) Even if its bad guys, it will help me improve.

UPDATE: okay well i think im going to leave the story a romantic story. I'm not really going to go really deep. I'm sorry if i disappointed everybody but i decided that before i write fan fictions like that, i want some practice first. thanks to all who reviewed and even those who didn't!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=49497