Rising From Amongst the Fallen by Slian Martreb
Summary: The Dark Lord is defeated and the Wizarding World must right itself again as it's Hero searches for meaning. But can he?
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1016 Read: 1602 Published: 05/01/06 Updated: 05/09/06

1. Rising From Amongst the Fallen by Slian Martreb

Rising From Amongst the Fallen by Slian Martreb
Author's Notes:
This started out as a drabble challenge ages and ages ago and then just...grew. Character Death warning for the deaths that do not occur during the time of the fic.
Rising From Amongst the Fallen


The war had been long and hard, days stretching into years before we came to the Final Battle. It had ended only minutes before. Not more than mere moments had passed since we had seen the Dark Lord’s broken body fall to the ground, never to rise again. I watched as Harry stared at the fallen body, his eyes unreadable, his body frozen for a moment that seemed to last forever before he fell to his knees, tears streaming down his cheeks.

“I can’t believe it’s finally over,” I heard him whisper, almost sounding horrified. “It’s finally ended.”

The Dark Lord’s figure lay twisted on the ground, his face forever frozen in surprise; as though he couldn’t believe that he’d finally been beaten, and by someone who was nothing more than a mere slip of a man. One could only imagine what thoughts had raced through his head when he finally realized he was going to die.

I myself could not believe that it was over either. So many I loved had given their lives to this shameful and sorry shell of a man. A pitiful excuse of an existence. Friends. Family. My own loves. I fought down an overwhelming and sudden rage to bring this thing back to life in order to kill him again for causing me and mine so much pain. But there was someone here whose pain was more important than my own right now.

“Come, Harry,” I said, bending to help him up, my hand on his arm. “It is time to leave this place.”

It was like trying to lift a block of lead; he refused to move. And I was not going to be the one to force him against his will. Not after all he had done. Not after all he had already suffered against his will. He deserved this moment and it would not have been fair.

I sank down beside him and onto the hard and unforgiving ground. “Harry?”

“So many dead,” he said, eyes blank as he surveyed the field now littered with bodies. “So many. For what?”

“So that the rest of us could live in peace,” I answered softly. “The sacrifice was made willingly.”

“No,” Harry argued, shaking his head in solid denial. “No one was willing. My parents did not want to die. Sirius didn’t want to die. Nor Dumbledore. Can you say that“”

“No one said they wanted to die,” I said gently before he could begin the nearly endless list of those that had passed. The names of those he had already named had cut me too deeply to survive the onslaught of all the shared loved ones we had lost. “But they knew the cost of peace,” I said. “They were willing to pay it.”

“It’s all my fault,” he said, unheeding, as though deaf to my words. “If I’d never been born“”

“Than Voldemort wouldn’t have been defeated!” I said loudly. I could not allow him to give in to this. Not now. “There would have been no threat to his power! He would have conquered the Wizarding world with no opposition! They would not have had the peace you granted them for as many years as you did!”

“At what price?” Harry asked, his voice a steady, quiet whisper. “At what price? The lives of my parents. What did my parents do to deserve their deaths?”

“Harry,” I begged, pleading for him to understand. “Your parents were proud to have brought you into this world They loved you unconditionally. If you think that they resented you, knowing the Prophecy before they“”

Harry shook his head again against me stubbornly. It was unbelievable that now, when it was finally over, that he could be so obstinate. Didn’t he realize he had saved the world?

“Harry,” I said as the survivors drew closer around us, closer to their hero and savior. Their friend. “Harry, the world is at peace now and it owes itself to you! You have saved them from a terrible threat and power tens of times The Wizarding world will be ready to crown you king for what you have done! You speak of sacrifice? No one has made a greater sacrifice than yours! Do you believe that anyone blames you? That anyone could?”

He nodded, wretched, his messy black hair falling into his eyes as he hung his head. No matter how old Harry lived to be, he would always look like James to me. I selfishly thought he had no right to be so hurt by their deaths. He hadn’t known them. I shoved this thought away furiously; I had no right, here and now, to that degree of selfishness.

“Harry,” I said, soft again, “look around you. You are surrounded by people who love you, who believe in you. You have led them to this Final Victory after years of terror and mistrust. You have given them hope for themselves and their children. You have not failed them.”

He lifted his head, eyes first taking in Hermione, then Neville, Luna, Fred. Professors and Order members. Fleur Weasley, standing alone, widowed. Bill had fallen only weeks ago and she had not stopped fighting, intent on avenging her husband’s name for her unborn child. There were too many Weasleys dead. Their names would go down in history as being instrumental in the victory today. It was likely the child would be christened ‘Arthur William Charles George Ronald’ if it proved to be a boy. Ginny was here now, pushing herself closer.

“Will you disappoint them now? These people who love you most?” I asked, lowering my voice so that only he could hear.

He locked eyes with Ginny, and I could only imagine what he saw in the gaze that met his. Could barely fathom the trust and promise that was within them. He blinked. Then he nodded, resolute. “No,” he said, his voice firm. And, fearless for the second time of his life, he rose.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=50176