Chapter 24 1/2: A Walk and A Talk by Gmariam
Summary: A missing moment from "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince".

Harry and Ginny leave the common room for a walk on the grounds after their first kiss, and afterwards Harry talks to Ron about his new relationship with Ginny.
Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2323 Read: 3182 Published: 05/04/06 Updated: 05/14/06

1. One-Shot by Gmariam

One-Shot by Gmariam
The creature in his chest roaring in triumph, he grinned down at Ginny and gestured wordlessly out of the portrait hole. A long walk in the grounds seemed indicated, during which—if they had time—they might discuss the match. (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, p. 534

Harry took Ginny’s hand and led her through the portrait hole, leaving behind a roomful of excited people talking about what had just happened. He couldn’t believe he had kissed her either. Once in the corridor, Ginny tugged on Harry’s hand, stopping him. He turned toward her, and to his astonishment, she kissed him again. He felt his stomach do flip-flops and looked at her, surprised. A small part of him had been afraid she would be angry with him—he had just kissed her, without asking, in front of most of Gryffindor—but she smiled at him.

“I’ve been wanting to do that for a long time,” she said.

Harry laughed and grabbed her in a hug. “Me too!” he replied, and taking her hand again, he led her down the corridor. The creature in his chest was bursting with happiness. He had never felt this good with Cho; in fact he had not felt this good in a long time.

“Really?” asked Ginny, glancing sideways at him.

”Really,” said Harry as they made their way toward the entrance hall. He wanted to go to the lake and talk, away from the noise of the common room and the looks they were getting in the corridors as they walked hand-in-hand. “Ginny, I—”

”Let’s just walk,” she suggested, squeezing his hand again, and Harry nodded. He wondered if she felt as stunned and confused and happy as he did. They finally reached the entrance hall and walked onto the grounds. It was still a bright sunny day, and Harry led Ginny down by the lake, to the beech tree he sat under with Ron and Hermione. Without speaking, they sat down in comfortable silence. Harry leaned against the tree, and Ginny leaned against his shoulder. His heart skipped a beat, and he put his arm around her, slightly amazed at how natural it felt. She sighed and looked up at him.

“So, since when?” she asked, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

“Since when what?” countered Harry.

“Since when have you wanted to kiss me?”

“Oh, that,” said Harry, feeling himself go red in the face. He had to look away from her knowing smile and glanced out across the lake. “I guess since . . . since Ron and I walked in on you and Dean that day in the corridor. When you fought.”

Ginny’s eyes went wide. “Harry, that was ages ago! Why didn’t you say anything?”

He looked back at her. “Well, you were with Dean, weren’t you? And you’re Ron’s little sister.” He felt her tense up a bit. “I mean, you are Ron’s younger sister. Ron’s my best mate. You had a terrible row with him that day over Dean. I just didn’t think I should ask you out—ever.”

“Because of Ron?” asked Ginny. Harry nodded and she rolled her eyes. “Well, I’m glad you did anyway.” Harry felt himself blush and looked away, but Ginny pulled his face back to her thoughtful gaze. “So why today?”

Harry shrugged, not sure himself why he had kissed her like that, without thinking, in front of the entire common room. “I don’t know. I didn’t really think about it, I just did it. Everyone was celebrating, you looked so happy, and it just seemed like the right time.” He paused and looked down at her, suddenly worried again. “I’m sorry there were so many people around, though. I suppose it could have been more romantic.”

Ginny leaned up and gave him a quick peck that sent his heart racing and calmed his fears. She shook her head and laughed.“No, it was perfect. I’m just so surprised!”

“I don’t know why,” said Harry, relaxing again. “We’ve been friends for ages, and we’ve been hanging around a lot recently, especially with Quidditch. You’re fun and beautiful and—”

Ginny’s eyes went wide. “What? I’m what?”

Harry looked at her quizzically. “I said you are fun and beautiful, and strong, and I only wish I had realized all that sooner. But you’ve been busy anyway.” And he winked at her, hoping she would blush.

She did, and he laughed. “Harry, stop it. I may have been dating someone else, but you dated Cho. And anyway, I never really stopped liking you. I just never thought you’d like me back.”

“Well, I do.” Harry kissed her again, his entire body filling with happiness. After a while they pulled away, still shy, and sat in silence for a while, simply enjoying each other’s company and the beautiful day. Harry’s thoughts, however, soon turned to Ron and the look on his face in the common room. He wondered what Ron was thinking right now, what he was saying to Hermione.

“Ginny?”

“Yes, Harry?”

“Well . . . what do you reckon Ron is thinking about us right now? I mean, he is my friend and all, and I don’t want to do anything to hurt you, or him, or your family—”

“Harry,” Ginny said, with the steely edge in her voice she usually reserved for her brothers. “Ron has no say in who I date. It’s none of his business. Besides, Ron should be glad it’s you, he’s always thought I should date someone better than Michael Corner or Dean Thomas. And now I am, so what can he complain about?”

“But—”

“Harry, it’s okay. Really. We’ll work it out. I’m glad you care about your friends so much, but please don’t let it get in the way. Not now.”

Harry nodded, but he was still a bit worried as he thought about Ron. The creature in his chest was a bit nervous about all this again. Yet as he looked out across the lake, with Ginny at his side, Harry decided that he would work it out with Ron anyway he could. He had to, because he didn’t want to lose either of them now.

* * *

Harry and Ginny stepped back through the portrait hole into the Gryffindor common room. Harry was sure to let Ginny walk through by herself, remembering how Hermione had told him Ginny got angry with Dean for trying to help her. The common room was mostly empty, as the students had gone to the Great Hall for dinner. Ron and Hermione were sitting in a corner, a game of chess set up between them. Ron had his hands folded across his chest, however, and Hermione was talking quickly and quietly; it did not look as if they had been playing much. For many different reasons, Harry felt his stomach tighten in knots.

Ginny took Harry’s hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. He had told her how concerned he was for his and Ron’s friendship, and he knew she understood just how important this talk was to him.

“I’ll be up in the dormitory,” she said quietly, looking first at Harry, and then at Ron and Hermione. Harry nodded gratefully; the last thing he needed was Ron and Ginny having another go at each other. Swallowing tightly, he walked over to his two best friends. He had to clear his throat to speak, but to his dismay, nothing came out.

Hermione, however, jumped up out of her chair as if he had dropped a dungbomb behind her. “Harry!” she exclaimed. “You startled me! We were just . . . just . . . ”

“Talking about me, I’m sure,” he said. He tried to smile but was sure it looked like more of a grimace. “It’s okay. Um, Hermione, can I talk to Ron a moment?” He coughed again. “Alone?”

“Sure, I’ll just be . . . over by . . .” Hermione paused, looking around. “Where’s Ginny?”

“She’s up in the dormitory,” said Harry, watching Ron, who refused to look up at him. He knew Hermione was hesitant to leave them there on their own; she was watching the two of them with the expression she got anytime they argued. She didn’t say anything else and went upstairs to find Ginny.

“Can I sit down?” asked Harry. Ron was examining the chessboard with a new sense of determination and barely nodded. Harry sat down across from him and started studying it as well; Hermione had been losing, but not as bad as usual. He would rather have played the game and lost spectacularly than try to talk to Ron right now.

“Ron, I—” Harry stopped, everything he had wanted to say completely forgotten. Ron was his closest friend; they had shared everything since first coming to Hogwarts. Yet Harry felt like this was the hardest conversation he would ever have with Ron, harder than the time they had fought during the Triwizard Tournament and hadn’t spoken for weeks. He swallowed again and started over, this time letting the words tumble out in a rush.

“Ron, I want you to know - I - I really like Ginny. And I’m sorry I didn’t say anything before today. It’s just that she’s your sister, and you were so mad about her and Dean, and I didn’t think this would ever happen anyway, not with her and Dean being together—” Harry knew he was rambling, but he needed to explain himself now, and if Ron hit him, at least it would be over with. Ron was eyeing him strangely, but now Harry avoided his eyes and looked down at the chessboard again.

“—but since she and Dean broke up we’ve been talking a lot, and I don’t know what happened today, it just did, I didn’t plan it. I know you must hate me, she’s your sister, but I would never hurt her, ever, and if this really bothers you then—” Harry took a deep breath. He hadn’t really spoken with Ginny about this part, although he had been thinking about it. He didn’t know what he would do if Ron took him up on it; he was secretly hoping it would be enough to say it. “—then I don’t have to go out with her, although I really do like her, and I think she likes me—”

“Harry.” Ron finally stopped him blabbering. Harry looked up from the chessboard. The expression on Ron’s face was a bit odd, as if he were still stunned, wanted to be upset, but couldn’t help laughing all at the same time. “It’s okay. Really.”

”Really?” asked Harry. “But when you saw her and Dean, you practically jinxed her.”

Ron gave a short laugh. “Yes, but that was Dean, you know? And they were sneaking around in public. This is different.”

“It is?” Harry felt himself start to relax; Ron wasn’t going to hit him!

“Yeah, it’s you. You’re my best mate. I suppose I couldn’t ask for a better guy going out with my sister.” Ron paused. “At least, that’s what Hermione said.”

Harry wanted to laugh, but wasn’t sure he should yet. He said a silent thank you to Hermione for supporting him.

“Just don’t go sneaking off to snog all the time.” Ron took a chess piece and made a move. He seemed to be relaxing as well.

Now Harry laughed. “We’ll make sure you’re always around to chaperone,” he said, but immediately regretted it, hoping it wouldn’t set Ron off.

“No thanks,” said Ron, pulling a face. “I don’t need to see that. Just don’t hurt her, or I will hex you something fierce.”

Harry nodded. “You know I won't. You—Ginny—your whole family is too important to me to mess this up.” Harry took Hermione’s next move on the chessboard, hoping that things were okay between him and Ron and wondering if he could salvage the game somehow.

“I know.” Ron studied the board more, but then looked up at Harry again. “And don’t make it all awkward and embarrassing, you know? Holding hands and making faces and cooing at each other. I’m not sure I want to hang around so much for all that.” He moved a piece on the board; Harry saw an opening.

“You mean like you and—” Harry wanted to say Hermione, but seeing as that hadn’t officially happened yet, he thought he’d preserve the peace he had with Ron by sidestepping that one. “—Lavender?” he finished rather lamely, he thought. Quickly he seized the opening Ron had left on the board and made his move.

To his relief, Ron snorted and didn’t say anything. Harry took this as a good sign; Ron hadn’t picked up on what Harry really wanted to say and was up for some teasing about the Lavender debacle.

“We’ll be okay, Ron. Especially with her brother keeping an eye on us all the time.”

“You bet I will,” said Ron and gamely moved one of his chess pieces in a last minute attempt to save the board. He was obviously quite distracted to lose to Harry in only a few moves.

Harry made his move. “Checkmate,” he said, grinning, as his pieces destroyed Ron’s to win the game. He felt like he had won a double victory, somehow.

Ron shook his head, but smiled. “You win. Better you than anyone else.”

Harry knew he wasn’t just talking about the game.

* * *
End Notes:
Many thanks to my beta reader, ginnyweasley718, who pointed out all the little things we don't tend to notice when we are reading our own work. This was my first story and all of her suggestions were very helpful!
And even more thanks to J.K.Rowling for not only creating this wonderful world we play with, but for leaving this little spot open so that our imaginations could fill it in.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=50306