Mistakes by Bryant
Summary: After Severus Snape leaves Hogwarts, he joins the infamous Death Eaters in search of great rewards. Instead, he finds himself making one of the biggest mistakes of his life when he tells Voldemort something that he overheard in Hogsmeade one night. Guilt floods him when he has found out what he's done. He tries to warn Dumbledore, but finds Dumbledore's trust rigid in the rat-like traitor, Peter Petigrew. Can Snape do anything to change the terrible events that are to come? No... but he can try.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: Yes Word count: 4313 Read: 3134 Published: 05/19/06 Updated: 06/08/06

1. Chapter 1 by Bryant

2. The Boy Who Lived by Bryant

Chapter 1 by Bryant
Author's Notes:
I am in no way proposing that this is what happened. This is just one of my insane theories.
Chapter 1


The Great Hall was filled to the brim with people, like a bottle of Butterbear ready to over flow its contents. People were milling around waiting for the ceremony to begin; navigating their ways through the rows of chairs that had replaced the standard four House tables. The parents of the students were now seated quietly in the chairs as they watched their children go up to the front of the Great Hall and receive their diploma from Dumbledore. It was graduation day at Hogwarts, and all of the students’ families had come to support them. All but one student. Severus Snape had given up on the prospect of his parents coming to see their only son graduate. They didn’t seem to care that he was graduating with the best grade in Slytherin, nor, did they seem to care that he had received a record score on his N.E.W.T. exams. Snape might have been a little more disappointed if he wasn’t accustomed to his parent’s indifference, but he still would have liked them to come.

“Severus Snape,” called Dumbledore’s voice through the Great Hall. Snape came out of his reverie and went up to receive a long and skinny rolled up piece of parchment. A few claps emanated from the crowd. As Snape stepped down from the stage and made his way back to his seat he felt small and mundane.

The ceremony ended and Snape felt uncomfortable amid the crowd, so he decided to go outside for some fresh air. He felt jealous of all the other students whose families cared enough to come. He now stood at the edge of the cliff, looking over the calm, still waters of the Black Lake. Many thoughts passed through his head while he was standing there. What was he was going to do now that school was over. He certainly didn’t want to have to stay at home any longer than he had to; but where would he go? All of these thoughts ceased quickly when a soft voice same from behind him.

“Congratulations,” the voice said. Snape turned around to find a tall girl with deep red hair, and bright green eyes standing there. Lily Evans now stood beside him, staring over the peaceful lake as well.

Snape’s mind was swarming with things he wanted to say to her; but he didn’t seem able to get his mouth open to form the words. He always was somewhat enamored of Lily. She was always very nice to him, even though he often times wasn’t to her. Their friendship never developed over the years at Hogwarts, and now, Snape really regretted it as he was standing next to Lily, trying to think of something nice to say to her.

“So, what do you have planned now that school is over?” asked Lily, finally breaking the silence between them.

“Um… well… I’m not sure really,” replied Snape honestly. He was relieved to get those first words out of the way.

“Oh, well, good luck in whatever it is you decide to do,” said Lily.

But before Snape could answer, Lily was called over by a group of her friends.

“Oh, well I guess I should go over there; looks like they’re taking pictures. Well… good luck… bye!” Lily said, and started to walk off.

“Wait,” said Snape. Lily turned around. “Thank you, Lily.”

Lily just smiled warmly, said bye one more time, and continued over to her friends. Snape wanted to tell Lily how much that really meant to him. He never had a friend that even cared about what he was going to do. Sometimes, someone can change the fate of a person, just by a few simple words.

However, the fate that awaited Severus Snape was anything but good. Immediately after he left Hogwarts he went home, and turned around and left the next day, never to return there again. He struggled that year, working a couple of low-end jobs, trying to make it through. His life changed when his friend, Avery, convinced him to join the Dark Lord. Avery inveigled Snape into joining the Death Eaters, telling him of the rewards he would receive in his service. Snape was trapped in a life of destruction and rapine; he had forgotten all about the ambitious Snape who wanted to an Auror one day. He was lost; with only the Dark Lord to guide him. He was a Death Eater.


_________________________________________________________

“Lord, give me another chance,” said Severus.

“You failed to succeed at your mission, Severus. You have on last chance,” hissed the dark figure of Voldemort.

“I shall do anything you ask of me, Master,” said Snape calmly.

Voldmort was quiet for a moment. Snape stared around the dark room that they were in. The dark moon shone into one of the open windows ominously, casting a faint light on Voldemort’s pale snake-like face.

“I have a mission for you, remember, this is your last chance, Severus. This was meant for Wilkes, but unfortunately, he went and got himself killed. You must succeed.”

“I will do my best, Lord. What is the mission?”

“I want you to kill someone,” said Voldemort softly. Snape’s stomach clenched.

“Who?” asked Snape timidly.

“Albus Dumbledore.”

“Dumbledore… but, Lord, he is a very powerful wizard, he’ll”“

“Shut up, Severus. It is your choice, but you know the consequences if you don’t accept.”

Snape was silent. What had he gotten himself into? He was now going to be sent on a mission to try and kill the only wizard the Dark Lord ever feared. There was no way he would succeed.

“When do you want it done, sir?” asked Severus, his stomach muscles relaxed a little.

“Soon Peter will tell me when Dumbledore ventures out of Hogwarts, and I’ll send him to tell you when you are to complete the assignment.”

“Yes, my Lord.”

Snape left the small cottage that Voldemort was now taking refuge in, feeling miserable. He had gotten himself in too deep… he would certainly die on the mission. He went back to his house that night and waited for word back from Voldemort; it was like waiting for his death to come.

Weeks went by before the rat-like Peter Petigrew showed up at Snape’s front door, telling him that Dumbedore would be at Hogsmeade that weekend, interviewing someone for a job at Hogwarts, and that Voldemort had ordered him to go then.

“Keep yourself hidden. Dumbledore is not thick, he will know you are following him if you get too near,” said Peter.

“You would know,” said Snape, sneering.

Peter looked more rat-like than ever. “I give valuable information to the Lord, Severus. I am his most important servant, he told me so,” said Peter. He was excited and started ranting on about his rewards he would get; his wheezing got louder and faster as Snape slammed the door in his face. Not long ago Snape remembered hearing the same thing from Voldemort; but now he was about to be killed either by him, or by a wizard just as powerful.

Snape ran through the muddy streets of Hogsmeade, making his way to a dingy looking pub under the waning moonlight. He couldn’t help think that he would have been better off to just let Voldemort kill him and get it over with. He entered the small pub known as the Hogshead, and looked around feebly. He didn’t see Dumbledore anywhere; maybe Peter was wron. Maybe he would be the one that got killed for passing Voldemort false information. But Snape had no such luck; he saw the back of Dumbledore enter up a small staircase, which led up to the rooms. Snape stood there for a minute, daring not to move, and then summoned up enough courage to make his way slowly up the stairs after Dumbledore. He made his way through the narrow hallway, trying to hear Dumbledore’s deep voice. He came to a halt beside a door when he heard what sounded like Dumbledore’s voice inside; he bent down and pressed his ear against the cold keyhole, listening intently.

He heard a clashing sound, and then another strange noise. Snape pressed his ear harder on the keyhole. Dumbledore’s voice finally came from within.

“Miss Trelawney… Miss Trealwney. Are you feeling okay---”

But he was stopped short by a voice that sounded anything but human. It was deep and guttural. It sounded as though she was being strangled and could barely grasp the words out.

“The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches…. Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies…”

Suddenly the voice became muffled, as if someone had stuffed the keyhole with something. He pressed his ear harder, but he couldn’t make out what the voice was saying. He repeated the words that he heard over and over in his head, trying to memorize them. I will be rewarded above all the others when the Dark Lord hears this, thought Snape, excitedly.

The door suddenly flew open and Dumbeldore was standing over him, with his wand pointed at Snape.

“Severus Snape, what were you doing here?” asked Dumbedore angrily.

“I”I’m… I can’t tell you, Professor,” said Snape, pathetically.

“Surely you can stop calling me Professor, Severus. It’s been two years since Hogwarts.”

Snape was silent.

“What did you hear?” asked Dumbledore.

“Nothing… just someone talking… that’s all,” Snape said nervously.

“And why were you listening through the keyhole?”

“I”I,” but Snape couldn’t think of an answer to give him. Just then a very confused looking woman peeped around from behind Dumbledore’s robes.

“Ahh, Miss Trelawney, I’m sorry. We will continue your interview momentarily,” said Dumbledore. He then turned his gaze to Snape saying, “Severus, can you leave me and Miss Trelawney to finish our interview in private?”

“Yes… I’ll just be going,” said Snape shyly.

Dumbledore’s eyes flashed as Snape got off of his knees, and went down the hall quickly. He felt like the hall was getting smaller and smaller with each step he took. He ran down the staircase, and went back out into the cold, wet night that surrounded him.
The Boy Who Lived by Bryant
Chapter Two

The moon was now covered in a thick layer of clouds that resembled… and rain was spitting from the sky. Snape made his way carefully to the little cabin that now served as Voldemort’s headquarters. He saw a faint light from inside, along with the shadow of a moving figure. He entered through the door to find Voldemort sitting in a chair, facing a bright glowing fire, and Bellatrix Lestrange was pacing around the room.

“Severus, good to see you,” Bellatrix said sardonically.

Snape bowed his head towards her in response but said nothing.

Suddenly Voldemort spoke. “Bellatrix, go now please. Keep an eye on those filthy Longbottoms; they’re trying to track our headquarters. Do what you must to stop them.”

“Yes, my Lord,” said Bellitrix meekly. She bowed to him and left the room, brushing Snape with her long black hair.

Grim silence pierced Snape’s ears uncomfortably as he stared out of a window with colorless moth eaten curtains around it. Rain now poured ravenously on the forest floor, and beads of sweat rolled down Snape’s forhead. Silence seemed to pace around the room ominously, before it was stopped short by a cold, austere voice.

“Have you completed your task, Severus?” asked Voldemort.

Snape’s heart leapt in fear at the sound of his voice. “I have found out something interesting, my Lord---”

“That,” cut in Voldemort, “can wait. Answer my question.”

“But, you will be much more pleased with what I’ve heard---”

“ANSWER MY QUESTION!” Voldemort shouted. “You dastardly fool, did you kill him or not?”

“No”no… I’m sorry, my Lord. But please, don’t kill me, not yet. I have found out something very important,” Snape said a little more calmly than he meant.

Voldemort was silent for what seemed like hours to Snape. “You’re lucky you’re still alive. Most of my servants would be dead by now, you know that Severus. What is it then? It better be good, Severus, or you know what will happen.”

“Yes, yes. It’s very good,” said Snape as he dried his robes with a flick of his wand. Snape explained what had happened and what he heard in the room. He decided not to tell his Master about the half of the prophecy he didn’t hear, as his he knew Voldemort would not be pleased

Snape recited the lines precisely the way he remembered hearing them. “The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches…. Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies…”

Voldemort was happy, but not completely gratified with Snape.

“This pleases me… it pleases me very much. But you still have not completed your task, Severus.”

This was it; it was the end for him. Voldemort was going to kill him and he could do nothing. He was helpless and at the Dark Lord’s mercy.

“I’m sorry, Lord.”

“I can see that, Severus. And that’s why I’ve decided to spare you. You’ve pleased me much with this information. You may leave here tonight unharmed, Severus.”

He couldn’t believe it. “Thank you, Lord. You shall not be sorry, thank you.”


___________________________________________________

Time went by quickly, and as the seventh month died, two babies were born into the wizarding world. One child was born to Frank and Alice Longbottom, it was a boy named Neville; the other belonged to James and Lily Potter, and it was also a boy, named Harry. Voldemort had plotted out a scheme for killing one of them; he had his mind set on the Potter’s boy. Snape never told him that was more to the prophecy, and he wondered if there was something else to it, warning not to try to kill the baby. He wasn’t sure, but he wished there was. When he found out that the Potters had a baby, he felt unbelievable guilt. He liked Lily Evans… the girl in Hogwarts who was always nice to him; the girl who didn’t care about what others said about him. Why did it have to be her? He liked her.

He wasn’t sure whether this was what drove him to Dumbledore, or if it was his fear of the Dark Lord that did it. But he did it… he told Dumbledore of Voldemort’s plans, and betrayed his trust.

It must have been surprising for Dumbledore when Snape knocked on the door of his office one day.

“Come in,” said Dumbledore’s voice from inside. Snape entered timidly. “Aah… Severus, how are you?”

“Erm, fine, sir,” responded Snape.

“What brings you here on this fine day?”

“It”it’s the Dark Lord, sir. He’s planning on”on killing the Potters, and I can’t let this happen…”

Dumbledore gave Severus a somber look, straightened his half-moon spectacles and looked back at Snape piercingly.

“I have every reason to believe this true. I was there the night you overheard part of the prophecy, after all. And, I knew you would run and tell Voldemort about it in compensation for not harming me. Am I right, Severus? Did you tell him of the prophecy?”

“Yes,” said Snape, dumbstruck; “I did.”

“Human. You’re only human. You did that to save your life, most understandable; but now, you’re guilty, for though you spared your life, you now are going to be responsible for the loss of someone you cared for.”

Snape’s jaw clenched as he said this. How did Dumbledore know he cared for Lily?

“The only problem is, is that I can’t be sure this is true, Severus. I can’t do anything until I know for sure that Voldemort is going to kill anyone.”

“But, he is. I know him well; when his mind is saet, there’s no stopping him,” said Snape.

“We will wait and see. I assume you can find your way back out, Severus,” said Dumbledore on a lighter note.

“Uh, yes.” Snape turned around and headed for the door but then he remembered something. He turned back around, and said, “Dumbledore, there’s something else.”

“What’s that?”

“Peter Petigrew; he’s is a traitor,” Snape said slowly.

Dumbledore gave Snape another uncomfortable stare before he answered. “Peter is a friend to the Order. I trust him.”

“But he’s a filthy traitor; he’s the one who---”

“Severus,” Dumbledore said, his voice rising, “I trust him.”

Snape then went out the door angrily; he didn’t see Dumbledore again for a long time.


A year passed and Voldemort still had not acted to kill the Potters. Snape hadn’t heard from Voldemort or any Death Eater’s for that matter, for weeks. It wasn’t until Lucias Malfoy showed up one day at Snape’s door to tell him that the Dark Lord wanted to see him… immediately.

“Severus, I’ve missed you,” Voldemort said when Snape entered into the familiar cabin that Snape had no desire to ever return to. “I though you had forgotten about me.”

“No, I didn’t, my Lord,” Snape said honestly. How could he forget the wraith of the Dark Lord?

“Good, good, because I have a chore for you,” said Voldemort. “Apply to Hogwarts… there is a position for the Defense Against the Dark Arts, I believe. I need a spy on Dumbledore, because Peter has conveniently been placed as the Potter’s protector.”

“Yes, my Lord.”

“You can do this?”

“Yes.”

“Then go… now!”

Snape left the gloomy cabin and went to his home; he immediately sent an owl out to Dumbledore, applying for the position. He received a letter back saying that Dumbledore wanted to see Snape himself.

The next day Snape Apparated to Hogmeade and made his way up to the familiar castle. He met Dumbledore in the empty Great Hall, and then they went up to his office.

“I understand that you want to apply for a job here,” asked Dumbledore, after they had settled in his office.

“Yes, the Defense Against the Dark Arts posistion, sir,” Snape said.

“Hmm… yes, well, I can’t let you have that position, Severus. You must undoubtedly realize why.”

Snape got a nauseous feeling in his stomach. What would Voldemort say? He had failed and there was no good news that could save him this time.

But Dumbledore spoke again. “But I have another position open for hire. I believe you were good in Potions, Severus.”

Potions was always one of Snape’s favorite subjects; he was more fascinated with the Dark Arts, but this would do. He would still be at Hogwarts spying on Dumbledore like the Dark Lord wanted.

“Yes, I’ll take it,” said Snape brightly.

“I will offer it to you, on one condition: you must change your ways. Do you swear that you will not get involved in Death Eater activities while you are here, Severus?”

Snape wasn’t how sure he could answer this honestly. “Uh... yes… I suppose.”

“Can I trust you?”

“Ye”yes,” answered Snape obscurely.

“And you will do anything and everything that I ask of you?”

Snape hesitated.

“Can I trust you to do that?”

“Yes,” Snape said finally.


The thought of Hogwarts didn’t really fill Snape up with happy memories, but in his new power, Snape was enjoying himself. Working with kids who had no idea what they were doing wasn’t exactly his idea of fun, but it bemused him a little. Meanwhile he had been worried over the situation that the Potters were now in. They had gone into hiding with Peter Petigrew as their Secret Keeper. It wasn’t until the little rat himself crawled into Hogwarts looking like he had just came from a sewer, to tell Dumbledore that suspicious activities were going on around the Potters, that Snape realized the filth of Peter. Snape thought of how he could have gotten Peter into trouble with Voldemort for passing on Dumbledore this information. He had tried to tell Dumbledore that Peter was traitor many times and that he shouldn’t be trusted, but Dumbledore was rigid on this subject and refused to believe Snape in any way. So Snape had given up trying to tell him, and he was forced to sit back and watch the fool tell Dumbledore lies. But he couldn’t talk much himself for he was also on Voldemort’s orders, but wasn’t really deceiving anyone… yet.

The day of Halloween Snape received an owl from Bellatrix during one of his classes, saying that Voldemort was going to attack the Potters that night. As soon as Snape read this he dismissed his class early, and went immediately to tell Dumbledore. But Dumbledore was no where to be found, and Snape didn’t find him until the Halloween feast, when it was too crowded and noisy to tell him anything. But it wasn’t too noisy for Peter Petigrew, who slipped in right before the feast started to tell Dumbledore something. Snape couldn’t take it when Peter gave him a vicious little smile. Peter knew exactly what was going to happen. As soon as he left, Snape followed him outside to the cool night air, which surrounded the Hogwarts grounds.

“You filthy liar,” spat Snape, as soon as they were outside the large oak doors.

“The Dark Lord will act tonight, and I, his most valuable servant, will receive the greatest reward,” wheezed Peter.

“You delusional little git; Voldemort’s not going to reward you. Have you ever been rewarded by him before?”

“How dare you speak of our master that way… wait till I tell him… just wait.”

Snape’s anger broke loose. He couldn’t take it anymore. He tackled Peter angrily, saying, “You won’t tell him.” As they were sprawled out fighting, Peter bit Snape’s hand with his sharp little rodent-like teeth. Snape yelled in agony, and grabbed Peter’s pants leg. Snape felt the familiar feeling of Apparation, as he gripped tightly to Peter’s leg. They landed on a cold, hard ground, and started brawling. Snape was just about to curse Peter when Peter bit into the other hand, and disappeared into thin air.

“Peter… PETER!” Snape was furious. He then saw something move away quickly through the grass, and realized it was a rat. Peter had morphed into his Animagus form: a rat. Snape looked around but couldn’t find the rat anywhere.

Snape had been too busy fighting Peter to even notice his surroundings. He was standing in front of a sign that said Godric’s Hollow on it. That named seemed familiar… he remembered hearing it somewhere. Suddenly he remembered. This was where James and Lily were hiding; this was where Voldemort was going to come to tonight. He looked down the dirt lane to see a house with a few lights on in it. Without even thinking what he was doing Snape ran to the house at a fast pace. The Dark Lord would be coming any minute… he had to warn Lily.

He reached the front door, and knocked loudly. There was a stirring inside and a dark headed man opened the door; it was James Potter.

“Who are you,” the man said anxiously.

But before Snape could answer the man spoke again. “Snape? What the hell are you doing here?”

Snape’s thoughts suddenly were jolted back to all the times James had tortured him. But he kept his head.

“Potter, the Dark Lord is coming tonight. You must flee, otherwise he’ll kill you, and your son,” said Snape.

James looked at Snape archly. “This is a trick… I know it is. Get out, Snape; GET AWAY!”

But Snape didn’t move; he couldn’t move. Lily walked into the threshold, pushing James out of the way.

“Snape? What---”

But Lily was cut off by James fervent voice.

“It’s a trick! He wants us too leave so that Voldemort can track us down and kill us. Get away Snape,” James said

“Lily, keep safe. Take you baby and run. Keep him safe,” Snape cried.

“LEAVE HER ALONE,” shouted James; he now had his wand out. “I’m warning you, Snape.”

With that, Snape ran… he ran as hard and as far as he could before he heard a loud scream, and a cruel laugh that he knew belonged to the Dark Lord. But then something that Snape didn’t expect to hear sounded. A loud explosion came from the distance, and then the cry of a baby. How could the child still be alive?

Snape ran back to the house, faster than he had run away from it. The house was ruined, and there in the rubble, a baby lie crying loudly. Snape stared at it from the distance for a moment. He wasn’t sure what happened. Just then, a loud motorcycle sounded in the distance, and it grew louder and louder, until finally Snape figured people had realized by now. He Apparated back to Hogsmeade and had a drink in the pub before he left to go back to Hogwarts. He stayed there for a long time, too in shock to move. He finally left the pub, and made his way back through Hogsmeade. It was when he was passing the Three Broomsticks he thought he heard glasses clinking together and people saying: “To Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=51084