First Kiss by PadfootBaby
Summary: James Potter had always secretly loved Lily Evans, from the very first day he met her. But she has shown him nothing on her part but contempt. She calls him arrogant, cruel... Then one night everything changes. James asks Lily to go with him to the Yule Ball at Hogwarts, and to the surprise of both — she accepts, telling him, "Not that this is anything permanent." But the magic of Christmas Eve brings with it a few surprises of its own...

This fic shows what brought these two very different people together, who built a life with each other and who, in the end, unknowingly helped determine the fate of the entire Wizarding world.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 5582 Read: 10088 Published: 05/24/06 Updated: 06/28/06

1. The Invitation by PadfootBaby

2. Unwanted Advice by PadfootBaby

3. Christmas Eve by PadfootBaby

The Invitation by PadfootBaby
Author's Notes:
A three-part story. This is my very first romance fic, so please let me know how I do! Hope you like it!!!
“There’s going to be another school Ball this year.”

Those were the first words out of Sirius Black’s mouth as he bounded into the Gryffindor common room, where James Potter was struggling to finish his Potions homework.

“Great,” he said distractedly. He stuck the end of his quill in his mouth and frowned, poring over what he’d written. The primary use of the bezoar is as an antidote to most poisons that...

Sirius dropped into a chair opposite his best friend and raised an eyebrow. “So?”

“So what?” James asked. He rolled up the parchment, slamming his copy of Advanced Potion-Making shut. “Finished!” he said, triumphantly.

“Did you even hear what I just said?” Sirius asked.

James had, but didn’t want to get into the subject. He averted his eyes and pretended he hadn’t heard. “Huh?”

“There’s going to be another school Ball,” Sirius repeated loudly. “Are you finally going to pluck up the nerve to ask Lily this time?”

“Oh,” James said. “Erm...” He quickly tried to change the subject. “Who’re you going with?”

Sirius sighed. “Come on, Prongs, we’ve been through this before. Several times, in fact. We all know you like her, just ask her out and get it over! What have you got to lose?”

“Well, if she says no, my reputation, for one,” James said dryly. “And my pride. If she says no, I’ll make a complete fool of myself. I won’t be able to look her in the face for months, and you know she’d rub it in.”

“Yes, well, I’d rub it in too.” Sirius grinned.

“Thanks a lot, friend.” James piled up his books and slumped back in his chair. He had a look of dejection on his face as he said, “Fine. I suppose you’re right. I’ll ask her, but if she rubs my face in it, you’ll live to regret it. I might as well just start packing now.”

“Excellent,” Sirius said, standing briskly. In contrast to James, he looked positively gleeful. “Really excellent. Let us know how it works out!” He strode to the portrait hole, then paused and glanced back. He grinned again at James. “Lighten up, Prongs! We’ll be here for you when she says no. And if you’re honestly interested, I’ve already got a date. I’m going with Natalie Frith.”

“That Hufflepuff girl?”

“Yeah...” A devilish grin suddenly lit Sirius’s face, and he said, “Wonder who Snivelly’s going with?”

James snorted. “Padfoot, I’ll give you ten galleons if he even has a date. Which he doesn’t. Who’d want to go with a slimeball like Snivellus Snape?”

Sirius exploded with his bark-like laughter. “No... The question is, who in their right mind?

James mockingly inclined his head to Sirius. “True.”

Sirius walked back out of the common room. Over his shoulder, just before he disappeared from James’s line of vision, he called, “See you later... And don’t forget to ask Lily, because I sure won’t!”

James sat there for a moment after Sirius had gone. Then he stood with a sigh. Might as well get it over with, he thought. Then he walked out after his friend to find Lily.




After a couple hours of wandering unsuccessfully, James finally gave up and headed back toward the Gryffindor common room. A few corridors away, however, he suddenly spotted Lily Evans chatting with two friends inside a small classroom. James gulped. He didn’t want to do this, but at the same time he did. And he especially didn’t want to be ridiculed by Sirius upon his return. Hardening his resolve, he walked slowly into the room.

Seeing him, one of Lily’s friends whispered something to the other, making them both break out in a fit of giggles. Lily quickly spun around and glared fiercely at James. He stumbled, then licked his dry lips and went up to Lily, who said hostilely, “What do you want, Potter?”

James shifted uncomfortably. “Er ” Evans... Lily. I was just wondering... um... Can I talk to you alone?”

Her friends tittered. Lily directed her glare onto them. They retreated to a safe corner to gossip, glancing at Lily and James every few minutes and giggling. Lily turned back to James and put her hands on her hips, giving him a look that clearly meant, “Well?”

His mouth was suddenly dry again. As he swallowed, a thought flitted through his head: You can just turn around and leave right now... It’s still not too late to go back... But if he turned tail and ran, like the coward he was, he’d never hear the end of it. Sirius, Remus, and Peter ” none of them would give him any mercy. They’d taunt him for the rest of his life, regardless of what he said or did to make up for it. And so would she...

James gritted his teeth, then felt himself stupidly blurt, “Evans... D’you wanna go to the Ball with me this year? I mean...”

He said this all very quickly. When he’d finished, Lily had a stunned look on her face. She opened her mouth several times, wordlessly. The question had obviously been the last thing she was expecting.

James said quickly, “Okay... I understand...” He felt relieved. She was so obviously going to say no. Now the only thing he’d have to endure would be his friends’ teasing...

Lily blinked, then, with an unnaturally high-pitched voice, said, “Wait ” Go with... With you? This year? I, um... Hang on...”

Her face flushed and she ran back to her friends. They huddled together in the corner, whispering hurriedly. One of the girls, glancing in James’s direction, let out a whoop and cackled, “I knew it!” Lily shushed her, and they continued to confer amongst themselves.

James stood there uncomfortably. This had completely caught him off-guard. He’d expected her to just come out and refuse right away. Now, though, he was faced with the possibility of her saying yes! That would almost be worse than a direct putdown... His friends would never let up...

Lily came back, a strange look in her eyes. “Well, um... Yes!” she said. “Okay... Sure, I’ll go with you... I’d love to! Not that this is anything permanent, you understand,” she said quickly. “I’ve just got nothing else better... Okay, thanks, Potter.”

“Call me James,” James said automatically. He’d gotten this far, unfortunately; might as well take the plunge.

Lily hesitated, then smiled, that radiant, heartfelt smile that James had always admired. “Alright... James. Then I guess I’ll be seeing you.” She headed out the door, her giggling friends following after.

“Okay... See you there, Evans!” James called. Wait... That didn’t sound quite right...

She turned back, wearing a grin. “Call me Lily.” She glanced at him once more. There was an expression on her face that James couldn’t read. Then she fled. Her friends ran to catch up, pelting her with nosy questions and laughter.

Well, you’ve done it, James, a little voice murmured to him. Padfoot can’t call you a wimp now. You actually got her to go out with you! They won’t be able to rub it in your face this time... Evans said yes!

But it wasn’t Evans who’d said it... She was now...

“Lily,” James whispered to the empty classroom.
Unwanted Advice by PadfootBaby
James returned to the Gryffindor common room and collapsed in one of the overstuffed armchairs by the fire. The enormity of what had just happened slowly dawned on him. She said yes! He stared into the fire, thinking.

He had been drawn to Lily Evans from his very first days at Hogwarts. Her fiery temper had quickly earned her a reputation; even all the teachers liked her. Her explosions became the stuff of legends, and James admired her for that. And then, though she obviously hated him, James had gotten more and more attracted to her. Over the years he had unsuccessfully tried to get her to go out with him. But Lily thought he was too conceited.

But he wasn’t! Sure, he did his fair share of showing off, but what guy didn’t? The truth of it was, he tried to impress her every chance he got. The messy hair, the Quidditch tricks, all were attempts to get her to notice him. He was very popular with everyone else, but Lily was always the one who ridiculed him, clashed with him whenever the occasion arose. She thought he was cruel, conceited, shallow. So why had she said yes? James had half-expected her to spit in his face.

He was still pondering this question when Sirius, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew burst loudly into the room. Seeing James, Remus nudged Sirius in the ribs and grinned. Sirius ambled up to James, stuffing his hands in his pockets. He stopped directly in front of James. “So...?” he said innocently.

“So what?” James snapped. Deja vú hung thick in the air. This was how it always went after a failed attempt to talk to Lily. Sirius or one of the others would ask James how things went, James, would mutter something, then blurt out the whole story of his rejection. After that, the Marauders would all have a good laugh over his cowardice and tease him mercilessly the rest of the night. ...But this time James had a secret weapon.

“Padfoot told us everything,” Remus said, grinning. “So, how’d it go this time, Prongs? Yet another lost cause?”

Peter laughed, then made a mockingly desperate face. “Alas!” he said dramatically, throwing up his arm. “Foiled again in his attempt to win the hand of the beautiful Lily Evans! Will this vicious cycle of rejection never end?”

“Ha-ha,” James said sarcastically. “Matter of fact, she’s going to the Ball with me Christmas Eve.”

There was a moment of silence. Then the other three burst into hysterical laughter. “Nice one, Prongs,” Sirius said, pretending to wipe a tear from his eye. “Very smooth. You almost had us going there, you know that? Now, come on... Tell us what really happened.”

“I told you.” James stood up. “Is it so hard to believe she finally said yes? I’m going to go study for the Charms exam.”

“Wait... Wait, wait, wait a minute,” Sirius said, catching James’s arm. He searched his best friend’s eyes, grin fading. “Are you serious?” he asked. “Lily Evans ” the Lily Evans ” is going to the ball with you, James Potter, the self-centered slimeball?”

“No, that’s Snape,” Peter corrected.

James looked hard at Sirius. “D’you think I’d lie about something this big?”

Remus sat down, mouth gaping. “Uh-oh, weirdness attack. Lily saying yes to James? I need some chocolate.”

Sirius tossed Remus a Chocolate Frog. “There you go, Moony. Knock yourself out.” He turned back to James. “So... Wow. This is weird. You sure you’re not joking around?”

James got Sirius and Peter to sit down. Then, with Remus crunching chocolate in the background, he told them about finding Lily and asking her to the dance.

When he was done, Sirius whistled. “Huh. Seems I underestimated you, Prongs. I’ll be sure not to do that again. Tell me,” he said, leaning forward and grinning, “did you kiss her?”

“What!” James yelped. “What kind of a question is that?”

“Oh, come off it, Prongs, we all know you’ve had a crush on her since first year! Think a bit of snogging might’ve made up her mind pretty fast.”

“Well who was the last person you snogged, Padfoot?” Remus asked around a mouthful of Chocolate Frog. “You gotten Natalie yet?”

“Not yet, but Christmas Eve is still a ways away.” Sirius grinned. “Have you ever kissed anybody, Moony? Once they found out about your ‘furry little problem’, as our friend Prongs so quaintly puts it...”

“Andrea Portman,” Remus said dryly, swallowing his last bit of chocolate. “Fourth year.”

“Ah, yes, dear Andrea. And then she disappeared from the school a week later. Wonder what happened to her?” Sirius smiled wickedly. “Perhaps your appetite got to her... Wasn’t it a full moon when she supposedly ‘left’?...”

Remus snorted and threw the candy box at Sirius, who ducked. Then their werewolf friend turned to James, who didn’t like where this conversation was headed. “Here’s some good, solid advice, Prongs,” he said. “Whatever you do, aim for the lips. For some reason girls don’t like a first kiss on the cheek, or he forehead. Just aim for the lips, and you can’t go wrong.”

“Well, what if she’s allergic to big fat jerks like Prongs, here?” Peter asked reasonably. “A direct kiss on the lips could get messy. You’re the snogging expert, Padfoot, what d’you think?”

Sirius smirked and got out a Chocolate Frog for himself. “Well... I say wait for her to make the first move. An arm around the waist, getting close... it works wonders for girls. Show her you’re not afraid of cooties, then... BAM!” He suddenly smacked his hands together and made them all jump. Sirius laughed loudly.

James stood up again. “I’m tired of this, you guys. You’re not being serious enough. This’s very important to me, and I don’t want to do something stupid that’ll drive her farther away. If you don’t want to give me some real help, then...”

Sirius frowned. “Aw, come on, Prongs, you know we’re just trying to be practical here. If you get into a situation where snogging is an option...”

“...Then I’ll try to forget all your stupid advice,” James said, feeling a bit irritated. Why couldn’t they quit the jokes, for just this once? “This is my first real date with Lily, and I don’t want you or anyone else to mess it up.”

“Okay, okay.” Sirius shook his head and rolled his eyes at Remus and Peter, as if to say, He’s really overreacting, isn’t he?

“I know what that look means,” James said. “I’m just ” really nervous, alright?” A thought suddenly struck him. “Wait... When is Christmas Eve, anyway? How soon?”

Remus said, “Erm... I think it’s in two or three days, actually. Wow, I had better get a date soon...”

“So have I,” Peter said, seeming worried. “Do you know if anyone in our year doesn’t have anybody to go with? I can never ask anybody flat-out...”

“Nope, don’t think so,” Sirius said. Peter looked crestfallen. Sirius slapped him on the shoulder. “Oh, don’t worry, Wormtail, you’ll get someone. But this proves what I told you, right? You gotta act soon, or all the good ones’ll be gone by the time you get around to looking.”

Remus smirked. “That’s how you look for girls? Scope out the ‘good ones’? How pathetic.”

Sirius threw his candy wrapper at Remus in retaliation. Remus laughed. “You think that’s going to do anything? This, now...” He pulled a seemingly endless supply of chocolate wrappers out of his robes and began flinging them at Sirius. James and Peter looked at each other, then simultaneously launched themselves into the candy fight. “Oho! Got you good there!”

James threw his whole mind into battling his three best friends and managed not to think about the school Ball. But in two days he’d have to face it... He was going out with Lily Evans.

At last.
Christmas Eve by PadfootBaby
It was Christmas Eve, the night of the school Ball. James sat in front of the mirror, anxiously tugging at his new dress robes. They were a brilliant shade of maroon, and everyone had told him he looked especially handsome in them, but James didn’t think so. The more he looked at himself, the more he felt he wasn’t good enough for Lily. For the last hour he’d been doing this, staring at himself and repeatedly trying to “fix” his robes.

James pulled at his collar and straightened the folds on his shoulders for the third time. A strange, squirming feeling had erupted in the pit of his stomach, like his insides were twisting themselves around each other. He felt like he was going to be sick. He told himself that it was just nerves, that he’d felt this way before, at major Quidditch matches, but this was a hundred times worse. He’d gone out with other girls before... But this time it was Lily! Lily, the one girl who hadn’t immediately worshipped the ground he stood on, like all the others did. The one girl who had always openly mocked and despised him. Lily, the one who so obviously hated him... And he was going out with her! I must be out of my mind.

Sirius walked in suddenly, pulling a comb through his long black hair. He stopped and stared at the sight of James twitching nervously in front of the mirror. Then he grinned and walked up to his friend. “Give it up, Prongs, you already look as good as you’re gonna get. Just relax! It’s not as if you’ve never gone out with a girl before.”

James turned to Sirius, a look of anguish on his face. “Please, Padfoot, you got me into this, tell me out to get out of it! This’ll be horrible, I can feel it. And Lily isn’t just any girl ” She’s not like the others, she’s made it clear she hates me! Why’d she even say yes, Padfoot?”

Sirius shrugged, throwing the comb onto his four-poster bed. “Dunno.” His face suddenly grew pensive. He said thoughtfully, “Maybe... Maybe she really does like you... but she’s just hiding it. After all, like you said, Lily isn’t like other girls.”

James groaned. “Thanks a lot, Padfoot. Tell me something I don’t know.” He stood up and stretched, sighing. “Oh well, I guess now there’s nothing for it. Wish me luck.”

“Right,” said Sirius in a businesslike way. “I’m going downstairs, I’ve got to meet Natalie before she goes without me.” He sighed theatrically. “If I don’t get down there soon, she might decide to go with someone else. After all, women have the patience of the giant squid.”

James snickered, the headed for the door with Sirius. At the bottom of the steps, both Natalie and Lily were waiting. James felt his breath catch as Lily looked up at him. She was wearing silky green dress robes that accented her blazing hair magnificently. Her hair was tied into a graceful knot at the back of her head with a matching hair ribbon. She smiled shyly at James, who realized his mouth was hanging open and quickly shut it. Captivated, he couldn’t take his eyes off her.

Sirius smirked visibly, then winked at James. “Well, we’ll leave you two at it,” he said, taking Natalie’s arm and guiding her to the Great Hall. She looked as though all her wildest dreams had come true. James wondered if she knew that her date went out with a different girl every month.

James grinned nervously at Lily, holding out his arm. She took it lightly, but the slight touch sent little shivers through his whole body. They walked into the Great Hall, where some wizard band was playing. James didn’t even care who it was, he was just glad to be here with Lily. He was aware of himself grinning like an idiot at her.

“Well, um... So here we are,” he said, feeling stupid.

“Yes,” she said softly. Her eyes sparkled up at him. “Do you want to dance?”

“Oh.” He mentally kicked himself as he answered, “Well, I’m not all that good...”

“That’s alright, I’ll teach you!” she said brightly. James protested, but a moment later Lily had dragged him out onto the dance floor, where James caught a glimpse Remus and his date, a pretty blond girl. Remus saw him and made a face over the top of the girl’s head. James had to force himself not to laugh. He pulled his attention back to Lily.

“First you’ve got to get the rhythm of the music,” Lily said. “Let yourself be carried away by it, and then just ” dance!” Another song started, and James found himself swinging through the crowds of students with Lily. He was incredibly bad at it, but Lily didn’t seem to mind, and only laughed when he tripped or lost the pattern. She has a very nice laugh, James reflected. It was much sweeter than her scornful laughter at him had been.

He had a lot of fun, but after three songs he was exhausted. “I’ve got to go sit down!” he laughed. “My feet are killing me.”

Lily grinned. She had become much easier with him. “Mine are too. Nobody else seems to mind, though.”

“Maybe they’re just better dancers,” James suggested impishly.

Lily burst into merry peals of laughter. “That is possible, isn’t it?” She swept over to one of the tables lining the Hall and leaned against it, face flushed happily. “Whew! I think I need some fresh air. When I get hot like this my temper has to match it, and you wouldn’t like that.” She gestured toward a small doorway, which James knew led onto a balcony outside. “Do you mind?”

“Not at all! I’ll come with you.”

They walked outside, away from all the other students, who were still dancing. Lily sat down gracefully on a stone bench that had been placed against the balcony’s railing. James sat next to her, and for several moments they both silently sat there, looking out over the grounds. They could see almost everything within the castle walls. Stars had begun to come out, and they twinkled peacefully above the two friends on the balcony. The sky cast a velvety black blanket over the school.

The setting was far too romantic for James. After a minute he turned his back on the scenery and studied Lily out of the corner of his eye. Her cheeks were flushed, and her red hair was coming out of its elegant bun, but to James she looked like an angel. He realized he was very lucky to be here with her.

Which brought him back to that first question. James opened his mouth to ask Lily herself, but she beat him to it. “You’re wondering why I said yes, aren’t you?”

James nodded, surprised. How did she always know? “Yeah, erm... Yeah, why did you...?”

“I wasn’t quite sure myself,” Lily said softly. “Not at first. I regretted it the moment I left you standing in that classroom. Hey,” she raised a hand and looked at James, who’d been about to protest, “don’t get your wand in a knot. I said I had regretted it. I wondered why on earth I was going to the Yule Ball with such an arrogant jerk.”

This time James knew better than to protest. He stood there, just watching her.

Lily continued, “But tonight ” Tonight you showed me a different side of you, James Potter. You’ve proven that you can be more than how you act, and for that... Thank you.”

She put her hand on his arm and he froze in surprise, then relaxed. It was obviously just a reflexive action, to show her gratitude. James briefly wondered why he was so jumpy tonight.

Lily kept her hand there as she murmured, “I guess I said I’d go with you because, well... because I wanted to give you another chance.” She looked up at him and smiled. “You know... You can be quite the gentleman when you want to, James.”

Her hand dropped back to her lap, and James could suddenly breathe again. What was the matter with him?

Lily stared out over the grounds in silence. James felt the need to fill in the quiet, but he didn’t want to blurt out anything stupid, so he didn’t talk either. After what felt like hours the music inside the castle became very quiet again. A cold wind suddenly swept over the balcony.

James shivered and pulled his robes tighter around him. The ball must be almost over by now. He glanced over at Lily. She too was shivering, but she had no extra robes to keep her warm. “You’re cold!” James exclaimed. “Why didn’t you say something?”

Lily blushed and said, “Oh, no, I’m fine,” but she was obviously freezing. James was perplexed. “D’you want to go back inside?” he asked.

“Oh! Do ” Do you want to? I think it’s lovely out here.”

“Er ” Well, then, if you want to stay, I won’t stop you. Are you sure you’re not cold?”

“No. Are you? You’d better get inside.”

“Yeah.”

Neither of them moved. James looked sideways at Lily, then tentatively put his arm around her shoulder. Just to keep her warm, he told himself, though he knew that was partly a lie.

Lily stiffened, but after a moment leaned into his embrace. They sat like that for a few minutes, just the two of them, alone in the dark night.

The music in the castle finally stopped, and James heard people leaving the Hall for the warmth of their dormitories. Lily didn’t move, though, so neither did he.

Lily slowly drew away from him and stood. James stood up too, clearing his throat to disguise his embarrassment. “Well... Thanks for coming with me,” he said awkwardly.

“Thank you for asking me,” Lily said.

She was staring up at him with her big, shining green eyes. James was suddenly aware of how close they were. Too close. He was practically on top of her, so close he could very nearly count the tiny freckles on her face.

Then he saw the tears in her eyes. “Whatever is the matter?” he asked, confused.

Lily dashed angrily at her eyes. “Oh, I don’t know!” she suddenly burst. “I’m being stupid! It’s just...”

James had no idea what was going on in her mind, but he felt he had to do something. He hugged her, pulling her against him. She relaxed in his arms, and he felt her hand carefully slide up along his back to the base of his neck.

James stroked her long red hair, which had become completely undone. He marveled at how beautiful she looked... In fact, to him, she had never looked better. A longing to do something he’d never before dared, something his brain insisted was recklessly stupid.

James bent down, closed his eyes, and kissed her.

And to his surprise, Lily returned the kiss. Her lips were full and sweet. James felt everything around him melt away, everything except her. Feelings welled up inside him, feelings stronger than he’d ever known he had. He lost himself in her kiss.

Time slipped by and disappeared as they stood there together. After what may have been a year, or a week, or just a minute, they drew apart. Lily’s eyes were wide as she gazed up at him. There was a look in them that James couldn’t quite read. He was spellbound by her face...

She stepped back, toward the door. “Well...” she said softly, “Goodnight, James.”

“D’you want me to ” to walk you back to your room?” James asked thickly. He was having a hard time pushing the words out through his mouth; he was still stunned by what had just happened.

“No... I’m okay. James?”

He looked at her. “Yeah?”

Lily smiled, a wonderful, heart-wrenchingly sweet smile. “Thank you for... tonight.”

James nodded wordlessly. “Goodnight,” he whispered.

Lily hesitated at the door. Then she reached out and lightly touched the side of his face. She smiled again, and moments later she’d disappeared back into the castle, leaving no sign of her ever having been there.

Or almost no sign. Glancing down, James saw on the bench the green ribbon Lily had used to tie her hair up. He picked it up and stared at it. He briefly debated bringing it to Lily, then decided against it and placed the ribbon in his robes pocket.

He wandered dazedly around the castle and finally ended up in the Gryffindor common room, where he collapsed into an armchair. He stared at the fire and didn’t move a muscle when his three friends burst in an hour later, laughing, insulting each other, and comparing their dates all at once. Sirius was the first to see James, and he whispered something to the other two, who immediately sobered.

Sirius approached and flopped into the chair across from James. He smirked and, clasping his hands together, leaned forward expectantly. “So... How was it?”

James didn’t say or do anything to show he’d even heard his friend.

Sirius’s smile grew wider. “You don’t look so good, Prongs. You’re all pale and shaky, and what’s with the silence? You look like someone tortured you.” Peter and Remus snickered and drew up two more chairs.

“How bad was it?” asked Peter.

James shook his head, unable to speak. He could still taste Lily’s lips on his own, burning a hole on his mouth.

“Did she smack you in the face for being a rude, selfish little worm?” Remus asked congenially.

“Oh, yeah, that reminds me. Snivellus didn’t have a date! Not that I expected different... I suppose I owe you, Prongs?”

Again, no answer. Sirius waved his hand in front of James’s face. He didn’t even blink. “Hellooo! Earth to Prongs! Discussing the Ball here! How... did... it... go?

James suddenly found he could move again. As if in a trance, he stuck his hand in his robes and pulled out the ribbon. He held it out to Sirius, who grabbed it and stared down at it. “A... ribbon. Okay, so, uh, how exactly does that answer my question?”

“She tried to strangle you, then?” asked Remus, who was clearly eager for some violence on Lily’s part. “Came up behind you and tried to choke you with her hair ribbon?”

James was getting tired of their stupid guessing games, but he didn’t dare tell them what really happened. He didn’t trust himself.

Sirius was studying James’s blank face. After a moment, something about his expression seemed to click, and Sirius let out a whoop. “Alright!” he shouted, laughing hard as he danced around his friends. He then bent down and vigorously shook James’s hand. “Well done, Prongs, well done,” he said, grinning. “Never knew you had it in you!” He turned to Remus. “Come on Moony, pay up.” He held his hand out and snapped his fingers at Remus, who looked mildly annoyed. “He didn’t actually say he kissed her,” he said stubbornly.

Sirius sighed and swung around to James. “Well?”

James nodded silently. Sirius smirked at Remus.

“I’m glad I didn’t get in on that,” Peter muttered as Remus dropped several fat Galleons into Sirius’s hand. Sirius hid them in his pocket and jingled them happily. “Pleasure doing business with you, Moony. That should teach you not to make bets you can’t win, especially against me.”

“You were betting on me?” James said. He’d expected them all to be surprised, then congratulate him. Not this!

Sirius grew serious. (Ooh, nice wordplay there.) “I knew you could do it, Prongs. These two, they need to have a little faith in your abilities. Was it a good one?”

“What?”

“The kiss! Was it a good kiss!”

“Oh. Er, yeah, I guess. I’m really tired, you guys, I think I’ll go to bed.”

James left them in the common room, gossiping like third-year girls. Their teasing bothered him this time. He had wanted them to be a little more serious, for something this important. James went back to the dormitory and lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling long after Sirius, Remus, and Peter came up.




James saw Lily many times over the next few days, but she didn’t act very differently toward him. Only little things... Her touch when she passed him, a smile when he glanced at her...

But James knew. Things had changed between them, changed for the better. They were more than just friendly strangers now. And hopefully this new James would be able to keep it that way.

A week later, James noticed that they would be having a Hogsmeade visit that weekend. He considered going with his friends and raiding Zonko’s, as they normally did, then he saw her. James smiled. Yes, things had definitely changed.

“Hey, Lily... D’you want to go to the village with me this weekend?”



~~THE BEGINNING~~




--------------------------------------
A/N: Hi everybody! So that’s it! I couldn’t exactly put “The End” there, because we all know that’s not true. ;) Anyway, I hope you liked it! Thanks for reading!!!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=51341