The Time of Their Lives by Lil Red
Summary: "It was dusk, and Ron and Hermione had just turned up in the common room, pink-faced from the cold and looking as though they'd had the time of their lives."


--Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, American hardcover edition, page 157


Have you ever wondered what exactly made Ron and Hermione's day so perfect? It couldn't have just been the sheer fun they had from going to the village to make it the day of their lives...maybe there was something more...
Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1914 Read: 4420 Published: 06/01/06 Updated: 06/07/06

1. The Time of Their Lives by Lil Red

The Time of Their Lives by Lil Red
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the Harry Potter characters, phrases , or places. I'm using them without the knowledge or permission from JK Rowling.
~*~


I couldn’t help but looking back at Harry as Ron and I filed out of the Entrance Hall with the other students. He just looked so…so sad…like he had just been told he had to leave the wizarding world forever.

“Hermione,” Ron was saying, “you’re going to make him feel worse by looking back there…seriously, he gave it a good go, but I don’t blame McGonagall, the hag that she is.” I made a face. Ron shouldn’t be calling teachers hags. “As much as I hate to admit it, she’s right to keep Harry out of Hogsmeade. Who knows what could be out there.”

I glanced up at Ron. His messy red hair glinted in the autumn light as he looked ahead, his brilliant blue eyes staring ahead. His large, freckled hands were tucked into his pockets. Ron didn’t know it, but I liked him. But I didn’t like him in the he’s-my-best-friend-so-I-have-to-like-him way. I liked him in the way that I-get-butterflies-when-I-see-him way.

“And Harry always getting into trouble,” Ron continued. “I’m just worried about him. He hates to be trapped like that, and who knows what could happen to him.” Ron shook his head gently. “So, where to first? Zonko’s?”

I inwardly rolled my eyes. It’s just like him to go and ruin a perfectly mature moment like that. “Yeah, sure, Zonko’s,” I said.

I looked around the quaint little village we had just entered, trying to pull my colored scarf tighter around my neck.

“Ok! Let’s go, Fred and George told me it was this way!” Ron excitedly took my hand and pulled me through the crowd.

I tried to get a good look at the buildings we were passing, but my mind kept on drifting to the fact that Ron was holding my hand!

“Ron! How much further?” I panted.

“Actually, we’re here!” Ron skidded to a stop, me bumping into him.

I shook my head to clear my vision and looked up at the small, cramped building in front of us. A large sign that was bright orange and yellow proclaimed “Zonko’s Joke Shop” in large, prominent letters. In smaller letters beneath it, it said “Jokes and pranks for all occasions.”

“C’mon, this’ll be great, Hermione!” Ron exclaimed. Still holding my hand, he pulled me towards the door. “We’ll get tons of stuff for Harry!”

We spent half an hour browsing, buying, and testing products, Ron pulling me along a lot of the time. I wasn’t sure if he realized or not that he was holding my hand, or the fact I didn’t care. All I was sure of was that I like the feel of my hand in his freckled hand.

“Good, haul, dontcha think?” Ron asked, peering inside the bag.

“Yeah, I think Harry’ll like it all.”

Ron had finally let go of my hand when he ran off to look at some pranks to turn your arch enemy’s hair blue. “Perfect for Malfoy,” he had said, an evil little smirk on his face.

I almost regretted having to let go of his hand, but I couldn’t comment on it, or he would know that I had a growing fondness for him. But I didn’t have much time to worry as we rushed around the village, stopping everywhere we could, finally dropping into the Three Broomsticks where we had Butterbeer, a drink that warmed you inside and out.

As we went outside into the nippy air, the Butterbeer still having its warming effects on us, I was itching to take Ron’s hand again. I knew I couldn’t, so I decided to start a conversation to get my mind off of holding hands.

“So, are we going to look at that sweet shop you mentioned? Honeydrakes or something?” I said coolly.

“Honeydukes? Yeah! We HAVE to go there! And it’s just down the street, too!” Ron grabbed my hand and hurried my down to a warm looking cottage.

He led me inside to the packed store and I looked around, breathing in the thick scent of sugar. I glanced at Ron’s reaction to the mounds of candy that were everywhere. I smiled. His face was that of a small child who had just been given a toy.

“Let’s look over here…” I softly squeezed Ron’s hand and let him over to what were called Fizzing Whizbees.

“Awww, look at the lovebirds, Fred!” a voice interrupted us after we had gathered a couple pounds of candy.

“Hermy-Wormy and Ickle Ronniekins have finally grown up, George.”

Ron and I stiffened we turned on our heels to see the Weasley twin looking at us, smirking.

“I’m just so…so proud at how they turned out!” Fred said in a mock teary voice.

George wiped a fake tear.

“Shove off,” Ron growled. “We’re not an item.”

“Then why are you holding hands?” George asked innocently.

Ron glanced down, wide-eyed. He turned a deep red and immediately let my hand go.

“Oh come now!” Fred said, shaking slightly with laughter. “Don’t break up on account of us!”

“Let’s go,” Ron growled, taking the bag of candy and stalking towards the door.

Following Ron’s lead, I gave the twins a dirty look and hurried after Ron. His long legs quickly carried him through the village and out towards a cliff. I finally caught up with him after he’d stopped at the fence at the edge of a cliff. I leaned on it, breathing deeply and staring at an old, run down house twenty yards away.

“R…Ron…” I gasped. “Ar…are you ok?”

“I’m sorry for running out like that,” he grunted through clenched teeth. “I’m sorry for having you deal with them like that. I didn’t realize that…I’m sorry…”

“Ron,” I said softly.

“I should’ve realized I was holding your hand…I just felt…comfortable…”

“Ron,” I said again.

“Now we’ll have to deal with them at Hogwarts! Stupid, stupid, stupid!” He pounded the fence on each word.

“Ron!” I said louder. I took his large hand in my own. “I didn’t say anything…It’s my fault, even though I don’t regret it. It was comfortable for me to hold your hand, too.”

He looked at me in astonishment. “Really?”

I blushed in his sight. “Really.”

“So you…like me?”

“Yeah,” I admitted. “Since you and Harry saved me from the troll, I guess…but I just kinda noticed it.”

“Well, I like you too.” Ron smiled.

“Maybe what the twins said wasn’t too bad…it wouldn’t really be bad if we got together, I mean if we both like each other, then its kind of known that we have to get together, or so Lavender and Parvati say. They seem to be experts on the subject, although I don’t really”“ I was broken off by Ron leaning in and kissing me.

After a second of shock, my eyes slowly fluttered closed. A few seconds later, we broke apart, blushing slightly, but happy.

“My first kiss…” I said softly.

“Mine too…” Ron beamed at me, and then glanced at his watch. “Oh no! We need to get back, the trip’s gonna be over soon!”

Gathering our bags, we ran down to the main street and followed the other kids to the castle. We hurried up towards the common room, taking the stairs 3 at a time. We finally went in, looking happy and flushed at the same time, and dumped all our things on Harry’s lap.

We planned to tell our friend about us getting together, but with the Fat Lady fleeing and the intrusion of Sirius Black, Ron and my relationship was pushed out of our minds.

A few days after the Fat Lady’s canvas was destroyed, a horrid thought came into my head. How would Harry react if we got together? What if Ron and I accidentally started to ignore Harry? And what if Ron and I broke up and refused to talk to each other, thus rendering us useless to help Harry? I made a decision. Ron and I couldn’t be together.

I pulled Ron into an empty classroom one day while Harry was trying to get away from his bodyguards.

“So, Hermione, what is this about?” Ron asked, straightening his robes.

I said, “About…um…us…”

Ron grinned. “Are we going to tell Harry now?”

“No, Ron.” It made my heart break to see the smile slide off his face. “The thing is, we can’t be together.”

Now he looked angry…frustrated? No…that was disappointment.

“And why the bloody hell not?!” Ron said loudly.

I shushed him. “Ron!”

“Fine!” he hissed. “Why the bloody hell not?”

“Have you thought about what would happen when we told Harry? How he would react?”

“He’d act bloody well pleased!” Ron said.

“Yes, but if he was pleased, what would happen if we got wrapped up in our relationship and started ignoring him?”

“That would never happen, Hermione, and you know it!”

“Well, what if we break up, and can’t bear to talk to each other or be around each other. How would we help our best mate when he’s in trouble without running into each other?” I looked at him, worry in my eyes.

Ron was silent. He couldn’t get out of this one. He slowly turned normal color.

“I…I suppose you’re right…we could be a danger to Harry’s life,” Ron said. “But we feel so strongly for each other. It’ll still be awkward between us.”

“Which is why I have to erase our memories of our time together,” I replied, taking out my wand.

“Hermione, before you erase our memories, can you do one thing for me?” Ron gave me a small, warm, crooked smile.

“Anything.”

“Can you kiss me again?”

I walked over to him and stood on my toes. Putting, my hands on his shoulders, I gave him a long kiss. I finally broke away and backed up, tears in my eyes.

“See you on the other side, Ron,” I whispered, aiming my wand. “Obliviate!” I cried.

A blue burst of light burst out of my wand and hit Ron in the chest, giving him a dazed expression for a moment. Then his face turned to one of utter sereneness.

“Hey, Hermione!” he said to me cheerily. “I wonder if Harry’s gotten rid of his bodyguards yet.”

“I…I don’t know,” I choked out, tears running down my face.

“Hey, you ok?” Ron’s eyebrows knitted together.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine in a moment.” I wiped my eyes and forced a trembling smile. “Why don’t you go find Harry; I’ll meet you guys in the common room.”

“Alrighty then!” Ron cheerfully walked out of the room, whistling a tune by the Weird Sisters.

I choked on my tears. He would never remember us being together, and we might never get together again. But maybe if I didn’t....No. I had to erase my memories, it was for the best. So with a shaking hand, I held up my wand to my temple. I closed my eyes, once more reliving my first kiss. I took a deep breath.

Obliviate!”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=51794