Understanding Eyes by whittyleah
Summary: Minerva McGonagall feels alone. She is overworked and in need of a friend...and she finds one in the last place she would have thought to look.

One-shot response to Gryffindor challenge made my Marauder by Midnight.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1111 Read: 2043 Published: 06/03/06 Updated: 06/08/06

1. One-shot by whittyleah

One-shot by whittyleah
Author's Notes:
Big thanks to my beta HPobsession!
This is in response to a challenge posted by Marauder by Midnight on the MNFF forums. My challenge was: to write a believable one-shot describing a Crookshanks/McGonagall relationship.

Minerva McGonagall sat in front of the Gryffindor common room fireplace. She often did this after the students left for summer break. It was good to be back in her old common room, remembering the times she spent there in her younger years.

Her memories were interrupted by the faint meowing of a cat.

"Well now, what are you still doing here?" she asked the large, ginger-coloured cat sitting at her feet.

It looked up at her with its big amber eyes, staring at her as though he could see right into her soul.

"You have wisdom in your eyes, I can tell. I can also tell that if I were in my cat form, you would be...catting me up."

The ginger cat cocked its head to the side and continued to stare up at her.

"I'm making terrible cat puns. Now I know I need more human interaction. I wish Albus were here," she said lightly with a twinge of sadness coming to her eyes.

"I better owl your owner. Miss Granger isn't one to leave her belongings at school."

She walked out of the red and gold room, her long black robes caressing the ground as she left. A pair of amber eyes followed her every move.


A few days later, Minerva was walking to the owlery. She had to send off a letter to governors about keeping Hogwarts open.

The past few weeks had been horrible. Owls had been coming in from concerned parents, students, politicians, and the media. All of the letters had wound up on her desk, for her to deal with. The endless letter writing, school meetings, and Order meetings were wearing her out. Without her best friend around to help it was depressing.

She attached the letter to the owl and watched it fly away. She relished in the few moments alone. She could have sent the letter from her office, but she needed the break. The few moments she got alone were Heaven, but they had their bad side as well. It was in those moments that she felt truly alone.

"I forgot to owl Miss Granger about you." She glared at the squashed-faced cat, who was swatting an owl with his paw.

"Follow me," she ordered as she walked out of the owlery. The fluffy ginger cat followed closely behind.

Once they were back in her office she sent an owl to Hermione Granger, telling her that she left her cat at Hogwarts.

"Now, you stay out of trouble while I work," she commanded the animal.

Crookshanks jumped up and sat on a chair in front of her desk, staring at her.

Headmistress McGonagall went to work on one of the piles of letters from questioning parents. Twenty-seven letters later, she yawned. One of the letters slipped off the desk and on to the floor. But, before she could pick it up, Crookshanks jumped off his chair and picked it up with his mouth. Bounding up onto her desk he deposited the letter into her open hand.

"Thank you," she said while nodding to the cat.

The rest of the day past smoothly along, with Crookshanks helping whenever he could. If something dropped, he would pick it up; if another letter arrived he would bring it to her.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
Many days past like that day; sitting in the quiet of her office, working.

For Minerva it was pleasing having someone else around, even if they were a part cat, kneazle mix. She could tell the moment she saw him what he was. She could also tell that he saw that she was sad and was trying to make her feel better.

'Kneazles are very intuitive creatures,'
she decided one day.

It was on one of those days where they sat in McGonagall’s office and he helped her work that it happened.

She received a letter from a parent. Well, it wasn't really a letter; it was a verbal assault on paper. Something in her broke.

McGonagall put the letter down, left her office and went to her private rooms. She hadn't had the heart to take over Albus' rooms yet, so she walked to the other side of school, through her Transfiguration classroom and into her rooms. Sitting on her bed she did something she hadn't done in a long time...she cried.

She cried for Albus, Severus, the students, and for herself. Since the night Albus died, she had been run ragged. She wasn't given time to mourn the man she had called teacher, mentor, and friend. No one gave her time to comprehend the betrayal of her colleague. The governors had promptly thrown her into the Headmistress role; having her deal with students, parents, and everyone else.

Minerva McGonagall was not one to show weakness, but after the last month she felt like a vulnerable little girl.

"Meow!"

"How did you get in here?" She stared at Crookshanks through her tears.

Crookshanks just stared at her with those understanding eyes and she found herself doing something she never thought she do, not unless she became senile. She started talking to the cat, pouring out her heart and soul.

She sat in her rooms talking to Crookshanks for over two hours. He never talked back; he just gave her looks that said he understood.

So, a new tradition was born. They would spend all day working in her office, and then, after dinner, he would sit with her in her study and listen to her talk.

It was on one of these days that a letter came from Hermione Granger.

Minerva didn't want to open it. She didn't want to lose another friend.

"Oh, stop being so silly!" she ordered herself as she opened the letter.

Headmistress McGonagall,

I'm sorry. I left Crookshanks at Hogwarts on purpose. I knew this summer was going to be dangerous and I wanted him to be safe.

He normally stays in the common room or dormitories, occasionally going to the grounds. I didn't think that he would be a bother.

I should have told you, but in the rush of things, I forgot. I'm sorry. If he can no longer stay there, I will arrange to have him picked up in Hogsmeade.

Sincerely,
Hermione J. Granger


A small smile crept onto the headmistress' face as she read the letter. She quickly grabbed a quill and wrote her back. Reassuring her that it was all right and that Crookshanks could stay at Hogwarts.

"Well, it seems that you will be staying at Hogwarts for a while." She nodded at the cat and reached for another letter.

Crookshanks stared up at her with understanding in his amber eyes.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=51907