Up in the Clouds by Slian Martreb
Summary: Sirius likes to fly.
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: Slash
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 907 Read: 1205 Published: 06/04/06 Updated: 06/06/06

1. Up in the Clouds by Slian Martreb

Up in the Clouds by Slian Martreb
Author's Notes:
A long, long, long time ago, this started out as a drabble for a beta-board challenge. It's quite grown since.
Up in the Clouds


Sirius looks down at his newest love, thrilled that she is finally his. She is a spectacular specimen, all beautiful curves. He runs his hand over her seat, feeling the strength in her. She’s finally his. No one else’s.

It had been years since he’d first seen her, and he had decided at that moment that he had to have her. The speed that one of these things are capable of....He shakes his head. It boggles the mind. Not even the best broom out there can go as fast as a motorcycle...and then, there are no worries about getting splinters stuck up your rear.

“Isn’t she beautiful?” he asks, running his hand lovingly over the leather seat again.

James shrugs beside him. “I guess.”

“You guess?” Sirius exclaims in shock. “You guess? This is the most beautiful and advanced piece of machinery“”

“What do you need machinery for?” James asks before adding quietly, “you have magic. And there are much faster ways of getting somewhere. Flying a broom for one. Or Apparating.”

“Oh, I’m not going to drive it,” Sirius says with a warning grin.

“You’re not?” James asks, his eyebrows rising

“Oh, no. I’m going to fly it.”

The eyebrows recede into James’s hairline. “Fly it?” he echoes.

Sirius nods excitedly. “I’ve already figured out the spell I’m going to use. I’ve been waiting to hit my majority to buy one so I wouldn’t be tempted to magic it first. Stupid Ministry laws,” he adds with a scowl.

James shakes his head. “Sirius, I don’t think this is a good idea.”

Sirius stares at him, stunned. “You don’t think it’s a good idea? Of all the things I’ve done in my life, this isn’t a good idea?”

It is James’s turn to scowl. “It isn’t safe.”

Sirius takes a firm stance against him, arms crossed defensively over his chest. “Are you going to try to tell me that a broom is safer?”

James rolls his eyes. “You know what I mean. You’re mixing Muggle things and magic. The Ministry won’t like that.”

“Since when do I care what the Ministry thinks?” Sirius asks, swinging his leg over the seat, settling himself into it, the new leather creaking beneath him. "And since when don't we mix Muggle things with magic? It's about all we do," he adds, stroking his hand over the handlebar. He can’t believe he’s finally gotten her He’s been lusting after the bike for years and finally, finally, she’s his!

He guns the engine, grinning as James jumps back, startled.

“Bad form,” he admonishes, glaring at Sirius, who grins.

“I’m taking her up now,” he says, unable to wait any longer. “I’ll see you later. Send my best to your folks.”

James nods, takes a careful look around the dealership, and then disappears with a crack a moment later.

Sirius takes one last look around himself before pulling his wand from his pocket, spelling himself to match his environment. One tap on the bike and he is shooting up into the air, the wind whipping through his robes. He lets out a loud whoop, deadened by the rushing wind. He’s flown on a broom before, but that doesn’t begin to compare. The rush is immediate, instantaneous and Sirius is sure, at that moment, that he’s never coming down again.

Of course, he has to eventually. There are certain things a man can push off for only so long.

“I’ve got something to show you,” he declares to Remus after taking care of that need.

Inquisitive eyes rise from the page they had been reading. “Oh.”

Sirius nods, bouncing on his feet with giddy excitement. “Put on a jacket.”

Wordlessly, absolutely trustful, Remus leaves the room to get one and shows only slight surprise when they step outside and he lays eyes on the bike that is now dominating their front yard. “You finally got it then.”

Sirius nods again, passing a helmet to Remus before putting one on himself. Remus stares at it, holding it limply in his hands.

“What precisely am I supposed to do with this?”

“You wear it,” Sirius explains

“Pull the other one,” he says dryly.

Sirius laughs, swinging his leg over the seat and settling himself. “No. Really. So that if you fall off you don’t crack your skull open. Come on.”

“Right,” Remus sighs, “because if I fall off a motorbike a few hundred feet up in the air, the rest of me won’t be smashed to bits.”

But he places the helmet obligingly over his hair, seating himself behind Sirius. “Well,” he says after a moment, “this is more comfortable than a broom.”

Sirius laughs again, grinning hugely, somehow unable to stop. “Hold on,” he warns.

“To what?” Remus asks, a wary note to his voice.

Sirius taps the bike with his wand, muttering as he guns the engine.

“Bloody“!” Remus yells as it shoots to life before slowly settling into a purr.

“Hold on!” Sirius repeats loudly over the roar, his foot pushing against the ground and then“

They are up in the air and Remus’s arms are tight around his waist, hanging on for dear life.

He’s never felt so powerful in his entire life.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=51942