This is Where by Gemma Hawk
Summary: Narcissa returns to an Island of her childhood to say goodbye one last time before she surrenders to the Aurors.
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1071 Read: 1701 Published: 06/06/06 Updated: 06/07/06

1. One-shot by Gemma Hawk

One-shot by Gemma Hawk
I arrive with a pop on the white sand by the crystal blue sea.

This is where I have been dreaming of going for many months. Ever since her death I have been thinking of this place. Ever since Bellatrix’s death, that is.

The Aurors will catch me any moment, but first I have to stand here, to say goodbye. Because if they must kill me today, then this is where I wish to die.

Voldemort has done the impossible and died, and the few remaining Death Eater families must run for their lives. Some have commit suicide, some surrender and others hide.

I have been hiding for the past few months, but now I am tired of hiding. After all, Malfoys do not hide and neither do Blacks. Seeing as I am both, it would be most shameful of me to continue hiding, even if no one really cares anymore about dignity.

Lucius is dead. It took me two months before I could actually say that. After his death I felt torn up, and I hated the words “I’m so sorry for your loss,” or “He’s watching over you,” or “Fight for him, Narcissa.” I hated those that said them, too. How could they say things they didn’t understand? I didn’t care if Lucius was watching over me or not. I just wanted him back.

When I told Bellatrix, however, she didn’t say any of those things. I said, “Lucius was killed,” and she answered with “I know.” And that was all I needed.

I don’t know where Draco is. I don’t even know which side he is on. Am I a bad mother that I don’t know where my son is? I love him more than anything, but does he know that? Does he know that his father is gone? Does he know that his aunt is gone? Does he know that his mother will soon be gone as well? Does he know anything? Is he even alive?

I cannot answer a single question. I feel so hopeless, so alone. There is only one thing that I can do.

I, Narcissa Black Malfoy, am about to surrender to the Aurors. But not yet. This is where I need to say goodbye first.

This is where I was born. Not on the beach, of course, but in the manor. I came into the world here, and therefore I am almost bound to this place. I am bound to this private island in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea.

This is where my family spent every summer since before I can remember. I can however, remember getting off the Hogwarts Express, feeling extremely excited about going to this island. I remember side-along apparating with my parents and landing on the fine white sand. A welcome change from the dreary English countryside.

This is where I tried to plant flowers in the sand. I brought rose seeds with me from England. I planted the seeds and watered them every day but nothing ever happened.

This is where I learned to ride a horse. I remember trotting along the beach with my riding master running after me, red in the face and puffing like a steam engine. “Up, down, up down- that’s it, Narcissa!” I remember the freedom I felt later on, when I could race by the waves. I felt as though I could run from anything, as though I could do anything. As though all my problems were left far, far behind.

This is where I cried on the shores when my parents fought. I remember my body shaking in the cool wet sand, and Bellatrix’s comforting arms holding close, telling me that even though mother or father might leave, she would never depart from my side.

This is where I wrote “Narcissa + Lucius” in the sand with my finger. It was after seventh year, and once the vacation was over, Lucius and I would move in together. I was ecstatic, too excited for proper words.

This is where I was married. I stood by the ocean, my white dress blowing in all possible directions in the wind, with my beaming new husband by my side. My entire family was together then. That was before Sirius and Andromeda left. Everyone was smiling and taking photos. I had never been happier in my life. Bellatrix was my bridesmaid and she had fixed my hair before the ceremony. She’d hugged me and told me that Lucius and I were perfect for each other. Everything was wonderful that day. It was as though the world was filled with happiness, joy and laughter.

This is where I gave birth to my son, Draco. After those ours of pain, pressure and stifling heat, I shall never forget how my mother and sister were by my side, or Lucius’ face when he saw our son, or the happiness I felt when I held Draco for the first time.

This is where Bellatrix was murdered. When she died it was as though my heart was ripped in two. After the shock disappeared I thought that I would surely die from the pain of losing my sister, confidante and the best friend I ever had. She fled to this place to say goodbye and now I am here to say goodbye as well.

I have missed Bellatrix greatly, but I will join her once more now. She said that she would never leave me. After her death I thought that she had lied, but she hadn’t. I still had her memory and now I will see her again.

The Aurors have begun apparating to the beach now. I turn away from them, taking what I am sure my last breaths will be.

This is where I was born.

This is where my family spent every summer since before I can remember.

This is where I tried to plant flowers in the sand.

This is where I learned to ride a horse.

This is where I cried on the shores.

This is where I wrote “Narcissa + Lucius” in the sand.

This is where I was married.

This is where I gave birth to my son.

This is where Bellatrix was murdered.

This is where I will die.

I am ready.

I turn around to face the aurors.


A/N: Yes, I know. So short it's painful. Review anyway!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=52080