You're My Best Friend by MaiaMadness
Summary: “Ooh, you make me live! Whenever the world is cruel to me, I got you, you’re all I see. You’re the best friend that I ever had, I know I’ll never be lonely. You’re the only one. I really love the things that you do. You’re my best friend.” In lonely times when everything seems far away, Harry only has Ron to turn to.

Fourth short in my A Night at the Opera series.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 917 Read: 1795 Published: 06/08/06 Updated: 06/11/06

1. You're My Best Friend by MaiaMadness

You're My Best Friend by MaiaMadness
Author's Notes:
Wow. I tried, you know, I really tried to make a Harry/Ron romance fic. I failed. I can't do it. They're best friends! It just doesn't work. But I did manage to make something fluffy and cute for you, with plenty of hope for the future. Enjoy!
You’re My Best Friend


Ron opened the door to find Harry out on the porch once again. He was absentmindedly flicking pebbles at a gnome that kept re-emerging from behind a bush ever so often. Ron carried the cup of tea outside and sat down next to Harry.

“Thought you’d be out here,” he said. Harry didn’t answer, but he stopped flicking pebbles at the gnome. “Mum made you some tea, she thought you might want some,” Ron continued.

“Thanks,” said Harry and took the cup. He took a sip, and felt the warm liquid pour down his throat.

“It’s peppermint,” said Ron lamely, not knowing what else to say. Harry smiled. He had rather hoped that Ron would come to find him.

He always felt so comfortable in Ron’s company. He had felt that way ever since they had first met. Things were so different now from how they had been then. Harry knew that he would soon have to go out and look for those last Horcruxes, and he knew he had to do it alone, because he could not bear if Ron or Hermione or anyone else was hurt.

Now that Bill and Fleur’s wedding was over with, and all the people had left the Burrow, Harry was left to think more about himself than anything else. He had not really spoken much to Ron, but his friend seemed to understand, and he had not pushed Harry to tell him about his troubles. It was almost unlike him to be so considerate, Harry had mused on several occasions.

“You don’t have to do it alone, you know,” said Ron, suddenly breaking the silence. “I could go with you. I could help you. There probably won’t be a Hogwarts this autumn anyway…” He trailed off. Harry looked down sorrowfully.

“No,” he said. “I have to go alone, you know that. I couldn’t put anyone else in danger “”

“Oh, stop being so bloody brave and noble all the time!” Ron interrupted him, with a hint of annoyance in his voice. “You shouldn’t be made to do this alone in the first place! It’s not fair… If you die, everything is over. You’re my best mate, Harry.” He paused and looked away, a blush creeping up his cheeks. “I dunno what I’d do without you.”

Harry found himself smiling, despite himself. He looked absentmindedly to the hill in the distance, where the sun was setting slowly. Then he put a hand on Ron’s shoulder, causing his red-headed friend to turn back to face him again.

“You make me live, you know that?” Harry said softly. “I think I’m all alone in the world, and you come back and beat thoroughly into my head that I’m not. Put me back on the right path, you know?”

“So, you’ll let me go with you then?” asked Ron bluntly. Harry actually allowed himself to laugh, this time.

“Ever the subtlety!” he said smilingly. “Well, it’s not like I’m going to be able to persuade you not to.”

They both looked back at the sunset for a while, sitting in silence once more. Harry fingered the handle of his cup, sipping his tea quietly. Ron looked content with the answer he had received, though his cheeks were still tinted red.

“Hermione will want to come too,” he said after a while, and Harry gave another laugh.

“Only if you two behave yourselves,” he teased.

Another silence ensued, but it was a comfortable silence. Harry guessed that he and Ron had reached the point where there was no need to talk; they could simply enjoy each other’s company without too many words. Ron and Hermione were the only reasons Harry was still alive, he realised. They had kept him from doing some really stupid things, and helped him do some even more stupid things which had turned out alright in the end, possibly because Ron and Hermione had been there. This made him think of how clueless both he and Ron had been to Hermione’s hints and advances. An entire romantic drama had taken place right in front of Harry’s nose, without Harry noticing anything, really. He smiled even more.

“What are you grinning like an idiot for?” asked Ron. “What are you thinking about?”

Harry’s smile dissipated a bit. “About how nice it will be once this is all over,” he said. “When everything goes back to normal, and we all get to be happy again.”

“Oh,” said Ron lamely, looking away again, as if wondering what “normal” would be like.

“Thanks, Ron,” said Harry, and Ron looked up.

“For what?” he asked.

“For being my best friend,” said Harry. “For making me live.”

And then he did something he had never done before, and reached out and hugged Ron. It was no soft, girly hug, but it was a hug, and Ron went stiff as a board for a moment, but then he hugged back.

It only lasted a moment, and then they both pulled back, grinning. Harry felt all his bad feelings and anxiety ebb away with the sun sinking. He stood up and gave Ron his hand, to pull him to his feet. Ron took it, and they both went back in the house, where Mrs. Weasley was waiting with a tray of sandwiches. As the sun died, Harry felt happy that he was alive.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=52185