Finding Courage by Gonz
Summary: Percy Weasley receives an invitation to participate in The Gauntlet, a competition that promises a custom built prize and glory to the winner. Percy goes with hope of earning the respect he feels he deserves. Inside the maze he faces a mysterious guide, riddles, magical creatures, and his own past. Can Percy find the courage to overcome all obstacles?
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 5969 Read: 1309 Published: 06/17/06 Updated: 06/19/06

1. One-shot by Gonz

One-shot by Gonz
One more to go, Percy Weasley sighed as he read a report from the Auror Office on recent Death Eater activity. Glancing out the window, he noticed the sun was rising. His stomach growled reminding him that had forgotten to eat breakfast, again. As Percy prepared to turn back to his report he noticed a shadow obscuring his view of rising sun. A few moments later a large barn owl was sitting on his desk. Frowning at the unfamiliar owl, Percy took an official looking parchment and read:

Irresistible lure,
Custom-built prize,
Awaits the doer
Who makes it in time.

Just for you,
Was this treasure made,
Collect the clues,
And survive the maze.

If you can name it,
This thing with danger bought,
Then you can claim it,
But don’t get caught.

Outside the doors
At ten tonight
With skills yours
Your glory will shine bright.


The parchment crumbled in Percy’s hands, and the pieces burst into flame. They left behind a small pile of ashes on his desk. Then a voice echoed throughout the room, “Remember, 10 o’clock tonight, outside the Hogwarts’ doors.”

“Who are you? Is this some kind of joke?” Percy stood up and was desperately looking around his office for any hint as to where the voice had come from. “Fred! George! This had better not be your doing!”

The mysterious voice, however, did not respond.

Sitting back down, Percy grabbed the report, silently telling himself to forget about the parchment and the voice. He stared at the report, but his brain couldn’t comprehend the words. As hard as he tried he couldn’t get the words: maze, clues, prize out of his head.

Oblivious to his surroundings, Percy didn’t notice his office door opening and closing.
“Hem, hem.”

Glancing up with start, Percy apologetically stammered, “Senior Undersecretary Umbridge…I didn’t notice you come in.”

Umbridge simply smiled at him and held out her hand. Percy quickly handed over the reports and his notes. Looking closely at the man before her, Umbridge frowned, “Tut, tut. Percy, are you well? Smiling Umbridge added, “I know, you should take the day off.”

“But…I still have a lot of work to do. The Minister…”

Umbridge smiled and replied, “The Minister rewards his most faithful employees. Take the day off, that’s an order.”

As she left, Percy sighed in defeat and with one glance back at the pile of ashes on his desk, he followed her out the door.

At home, Percy tried everything: he read the paper, listened to the WWN, even made himself a belated breakfast, but still he couldn’t stop thinking about that invitation.

I wonder what the prize is.

Percy shook his head, but he couldn’t stop his thoughts. He remembered how he had worked so hard get twelve OWLS, and NEWTS in every subject he attempted. He had been a prefect and Head Boy, but when he left Hogwarts it had meant nothing. Percy remembered all of his interviews at the Ministry, all of his attempts rejected because he was a Weasley. The name garnered no respect in the Ministry, all because of his father. They treated him like he was kind of fool, as someone who couldn’t be trusted to get his work done. If Crouch hadn’t taken a chance on him, who knows what would have happened to him? Even now as Junior Assistant to the Minister, the youngest ever he might add, he still got no respect. They didn’t say it to his face, but he saw the looks sent his way, he heard the whispers in the hallways as he passed. To them he was still a fool of a Weasley. It didn’t matter that he had broke all ties from his family; to them he still was his father’s son. He worked so hard to prove he wasn’t like his father, but still Percy got no respect.

Custom-built prize...Your glory will shine bright.

This maze, Percy thought, if he won he would get the respect he deserved. His family would realize how wrong they were for holding him back from his dreams. He was going to win, nothing could stop him. Unless, this whole thing was some joke of Fred and George. If it was Percy swore he would kill them.

As it neared 10 o’clock that night Percy found himself walking toward Hogwarts’ doors. He as he neared seven faces turned and looked at him. With a shock Percy found himself looking into a pair of eyes burning with hatred; his sister’s eyes. He then looked and saw Bill and Harry Potter standing next to her. Percy’s insides burned with rage just looking at Potter. He was the one responsible for turning his family against him. He was the one who made Ginny’s eyes burn with rage at the sight of her brother.

Telling himself to calm down, Percy looked at the rest of group. He recognized Lavander Brown and Oliver Wood, and there was a brown-haired grey-eyed boy that looked familiar. Percy’s eyes widened in shock, it couldn’t be he was dead, but standing there Cedric Diggory. Percy moved as far away from that group as possible, while still staying on the Hogwarts’ steps. Percy noticed one other staying separate, Severus Snape. Looking at his competitors, Percy was beginning to have some second thoughts about this maze, but then she arrived.

She glided up to the eight of them. She wore a silky midnight blue rode that was the same color as her sparkly eyes. Her hair, black as night, reached her waist, and in her hand was a beautiful silver lantern holding a golden flame. When she spoke it was in the same voice that Percy had heard earlier in his office.

“Welcome to the Gauntlet. I am your Guide. Please, follow me.”

Their Guide led them into the Forbidden Forest. Once they reached a small moonlit clearing they stopped, the group silently waiting for a hint from their Guide. The Guide smiled at them and pulled out a silver wand. When she waved it a gate appeared. The gate was made of two golden unicorns standing on their hind legs with their front hooves touching, forming an arch. In between the unicorn was a sparkly silver substance that was clearly magical in nature. Percy knew if he walked through that gate he could go anywhere their Guide intended.

What had he gotten himself into?

“When I call your name please walk through the gate,” instructed the Guide. “If you wish to turn back, please do so now. Brown, Lavender.”

Shaking slightly, Lavander walked to gate, and after a long pause, walked through it.

Percy allowed his mind to wander while his competitors were called. The appearance of Diggory unnerved him. Something wasn’t right here, should he continue?

“Weasley, Percy.”

Percy walked up to gate part of him yelling to go back, part of him telling him this was chance to earn glory. This was his chance to earn respect. Hesitating, he glanced back at Wood who was calmly awaiting his turn. “You can do this, Percy,” he murmured to himself. With a tight grip on his wand, Percy walked through the gate.

Percy appeared in dark moonlit forest. His eyes slowly adjusted and Percy could make out a small dirt path winding through the trees. The trees were taller than anything he had ever seen before, their branches arched menacingly above him. Percy felt trapped as if the weight of the branches bore down on him.

“Lumos!” Percy whispered. Using the light as his guide, Percy slowly walked down the path.

Many twists and turns later, Percy felt his feet strike a different surface. Bricks, a brick path lay to his left. He decided to follow it, and it wasn’t long before the forest opened into a small meadow. The trees still formed an interpretable barrier, but they were farther away, less menacing. He could see grass, flowers, and plants of every kind. Percy thought he had stumbled upon someone’s private garden.

Getting rid of his light, Percy continued along the main path. He glanced at a branch on his left where he saw the orange glow of pumpkins. The main path led through the garden, but a large hedge was blocking the path. Percy was about to turn around when he spotted a stone bench with some objects on it. Stepping toward it he saw some plants blowing gently in the wind.

Suddenly, Percy doubled over sneezing. Sneezewort, he thought. Percy quickly walked past them until he reached the bench where the sneezing ceased.

On the stone bench there where jars and containers of every kind, filled with roots and plants. On the far left lay a sack next to the ugliest plant Percy had ever seen. What captured his attention, though, was the small Dragon-Leather notebook lying harmlessly in the center. Percy opened it the first page and read:

In my midst you’re sure to find
Plants and Herbs of every kind

Search me well and you will see
Fluxweed, Hellebore, Gillyweed

Beware the Mandrake’s cry if you
Should ever dig for Gurdyroot

Before you leave me you must bring
Lovage, dittany and Shrivelfig

And in my pages you must write
The other names of aconite

With that the door will open wide
And you may take of what I hide

So stop to ponder if you will
The Mallowsweet won’t make you ill


After reading the message through several times, Percy quickly wrote wolfsbane and monkshood inside the notebook. That part was easy enough, considering how Snape had driven that fact into everyone’s heads first year. The Potion’s Master would probably laugh if he stumbled cross this task, Percy figured.

The next part was a little harder. Percy never really liked Herbology and hadn’t continued taking it after fifth year. Digging through the jars and containers he managed to find lovage and shrivelfig. He recognized them from Potions he had made and threw them into the sack on the bench.

“Dittany,” Percy murmured aloud. He didn’t remember ever using that one in Potions, but the name sounded familiar. Thinking back on OWL notes from he remembered it had a white woolly stem. Finally, he found one meeting that description with gray velvety leaves. Hoping that this was it, he placed the plant in the sack with others, and waited.

A wooden door appeared on the hedge and the pages of the notebook turned revealing Fluxweed, Hellebore, and Gillyweed. Smiling, Percy grabbed the three plants and opened the door.

Percy heard the door closing behind him; glancing back he saw that it no longer existed. As he stepped forward on the path, he felt cold. So cold that Percy would have been able to see his own breath, if he also hadn’t been surrounded by darkness. Looking up he couldn’t even see the stars. An eerie silence surrounded Percy, and then he heard it. He heard the hoarse, rattling breath of a dementor.

Percy tightened his grip on his wand and desperately tried to think. A happy memory, he needed a happy memory. Childhood wouldn’t work, because they were memories of his family that betrayed him. Thinking of Hogwarts won’t work because the thought of his brothers, sister, Dumbledore, and Potter all made his blood boil. Percy loved work, but he now realized it had never made him happy.

As Percy took a step back, white fog clouded his senses.

He heard laughter and he was sitting, crying. Percy looked at his body, long tentacles were coming out of skin.

“Look George, the crybaby can’t take a joke.”

“What’s the matter, Tentacle-butt?”


Percy shook his head, trying to clear the fog, as he continued to step back.

“Hey look, its Percy, the bossy little first year who thinks he knows it all.”

Cowering in the corner, Percy screamed and cried as the hexes hit him. The laughter from the students ringing in his ears…


The twigs poked him as he reached the hedge.

A bunch of Slytherin fitth years laughing at him, “Just because you’re Head Boy doesn’t mean you can tell us what to do.”

“Detention!”

They laughed, “Snape will overturn it.”

“Get out here Weasley, no one respects you.”


He hands grasp and felt for the door wasn’t there.

“Weasley, let me give you some advice. No one at the Ministry is going to hire you. You’re a Weasley, and that name garners no respect here. I suggest you go work for you’re lazy, good for nothing Father, and leave the rest of us alone.”

Percy dropped to his knees, tears streaming down his cheeks.

“Fudge doesn’t care about your work. He’s using you, Percy. He wants you to spy on us.”

“It’s you’re fault, Dad! I have to work against your lousy reputation ever since I started at the Ministry…Your lack of ambition is why we are poor…You’re ruining my life! It’s because of Potter. You treat that crazy, lying, lunatic like a son, more then your own flesh and blood!”


“No…Please…Stop it! Stop it!”

The dementor stood in front of him. His hands reached up and lowered his hood. Unable to do anything but watch that gaping hole of a mouth come closer, Percy surrendered to the darkness…

Percy slowly opened his eyes. He was floating on cloud through the night sky, and across from him was the Guide. “Am I dead?” he asked.

“No,” she answered. “I grabbed you before the dementor could administer the kiss.”

“Why?”

“It’s my job to protect and guide you.” The Guide smiled, “Now, what are you going to do? You my go home or continue, but if you continue you must face the dementor, again.”

“I can’t,” Percy insisted, “I don’t have any memories to use. Patronus are for happy people”

“Then use another way.”

Percy sat, deep in thought. He tried to remember everything Professor Lupin had mentioned about dementors, back in sixth year. They were blind and deaf; they found their prey by sensing their thoughts and emotions. A Patronus was formed from happy memories, emotions the dementors couldn’t stand, but what if he did the opposite? Percy reasoned if the dementor couldn’t sense his thoughts and emotions, he could walk right past it, but for that he needed to use Occlumency. Percy believed he could that, it wouldn’t be hard. He used it everyday without ever realizing it. He hid his thoughts and emotions everyday at work, so no one would be able to see his pain. Instead of hiding them behind a mask, he would shield them in his mind, too. He concentrated, hard, blocking all thoughts and emotions…

The Guide looked at him, “You are ready.”

Percy appeared back in the maze, but he didn’t think and he didn’t feel. He walked right past the dementor, deeper into the maze.

A couple dead ends and an hour later, Percy turned another corner and ran into the Guide, sitting on a bench next to a wooden door.

“Welcome, Percy,” said the Guide. “If you wish to go through this door you must first solve this riddle:

Starts at the center of labyrinth,
Ends at the third of Corinth.
The invisible ink's bane,
Secret messages I gain.”

Percy stood thinking over the words the Guide had said. The first line made no sense, wasn’t he suppose to go to the center of the labyrinth? The second line was the same as the first, Percy knew Corinth was a city in Greece and he guessed the third must be some festival, but he had never heard of it. The third and fourth lines he liked. As Perfect and Head Boy, he lost count of the number of times he confiscated parchments written in invisible ink. He had used the spell Aparecium, and a Revealer many times to uncover secret messages, but which one was it? The first two lines must hold the clue Percy reasoned. “Corinth,” he whispered aloud. Then it hit him, the third letter in Corinth was r. Quickly, Percy figured out the middle letter in labyrinth was also r. The answer begins and ends in r…

Percy stood up tall, nose in air, and answered with pride, “Revealer.”

The Guide nodded yes, and gestured Percy toward the door.

Going through the door he appeared back on a tree lined path, the weight of the trees returning to bore down on him. Percy walked down the path a ways until his foot stepped in a big glob of mud. Glancing down the strong smell reached his nostrils. With look of disgust on his face, Percy studied the path before him.

For about half of a Quidditch field, the path had turned into a giant mud hole. Percy could make out someone’s footprints in the mud, but they didn’t seem to going in any particular direction. Studying them, Percy realized if he attempted to cross the mud was deep enough to come up to his knees! After pondering for a moment, Percy waved his wand in a complicated motion until a jet of hot air was shooting out of it. Pointing his wand at the mud, Percy watched the mist rise as the water evaporated, leaving behind a small section of dirt firm enough to stand on. Percy sighed and slowly walked across the mud hole along a small path of dirt he created as he went.

When Percy finally reached the other side he glanced back at the small path he had created through the mud. Determined not to let anyone else use it, Percy yelled, “Aguamenti!” The dirt turned back to mud and Percy hurried down the path, he had lost time to make up.

Walking briskly along the dirt path, Percy turned onto a branch on his left, and blinked his eyes in surprise. He had stumbled into some old ruins, but it was a very nicely decorated ruins. A stone wall encircled a small grassy area. The wall was crumbling in some areas, but he could still easily see the moving pictures of fairies covering the wall. Percy reached out to touch one of the fairies and ended up with a bitten finger. He jerked his hand back, silently yelling at himself for forgetting that fairies were frequently used for decoration.

Percy turned and walked toward the center of area, were an exquisitely carved stone book lay. Standing in front of it, Percy read:

An Augurey is trapped in a cage ahead. Using your wits, wand, and the materials at hand, lure the Augurey into the cage by the door. Only when trapped there and allowed to cry, will the door open.

Looking up from the book, Percy saw a cage in front of him with an ugly greenish-black bird sitting peacefully. Beyond the Augurey lay a wooden door in the wall, with another cage next to it. Percy stared at the bird trying to figure out what he should do. Shaking his head Percy whispered, “That bird is as ugly as the one Charlie brought home once.”

Percy had be sitting at the kitchen table, trying to do his homework, when Charlie ran into the house with a bird on his arm.

Mum saw her son and the bird let out a shriek, “Charlie! What is that thing?”

“It’s an Augurey, mum. Can I keep him?”

“No, I do not want a bird flying around my house.”

“He won’t fly around the house,” Charlie stated. “Augurey’s only fly in heavy rain. Besides, they eat fairies and insects and you been complaining about having too many insects in the garden.”

“NO!”


Percy laughed at the memory, then his face darkened at the thought of his family. He looked away from the bird, his face smiling when he caught sight of the fairies on the wall. Charlie said Augureys’ ate fairies, and besides his finger still hurt. Walking over to the wall he quickly caught three fairies using a Freezing Charm, and stuffed them in the empty cage.

When Percy opened the Augurey’s cage the bird didn’t move. The Augurey’s eye was fixed on the cage with his food and Percy could tell he wanted it, but why wasn’t the bird moving? Then Percy remembered that Charlie had also said that Augureys’ only flew in rain. Looking at sky, Percy could the moon and stars perfectly, not a single cloud in sight. Percy sighed and tried to figure out the best way to do this. Percy stood behind the cage that currently held the Augurey, but at an angle so the cage with the fairies was directly ahead of him. He took out his wand and shouted, “Aguamenti!”

The effect was instantaneous. The Augurey gave out a loud and horrible cry and staying in the jet water flew to the other cage, where Percy heard it give another cry. As Percy lowered his wand, he saw the wooden door was now open. Percy passed the Augurey devouring his meal, and went through the open door.

The path seemed to go on for forever. Percy allowed his mind to wander and turned on paths randomly. A snap of twig brought his mind back to the maze, but it was too late. As Percy turned toward the sound, wand outstretched, he could only watch as the jet of light hit him. His body fell, slamming into the ground, wand falling from his grasp. Percy tried as hard as he could, but the only muscles he could move where the ones in his eyes. It was out of the corner of those eyes that he saw a figure shadowy figure move into the moonlight, his sister.

Ginny slowly walked up to her brother, her left foot kicking his wand. Percy saw his wand spin so the tip now faced his body.

She leaned over his frozen body, a grin on her face and hatred in her eyes. “How does it feel, Percy?” Ginny taunted. “To be betrayed and hurt by a member of your own family.” With that, Ginny turned on her heel and disappeared into the shadows.

Percy’s mind burned in anger. How dare she? How dare she do this to me?

You deserved this.

Deserve this! I have never done anything to her. It was my family who walked out on me.

I thought you were the one who walked on them.

I left because they left me no choice. They were always holding me back, treating Potter like their own son, and leaving me to fight Dad’s lousy reputation.

Potter was right in the end.

That’s not the point. The point is that they turned against their own flesh and blood. It is the principle that matters, not who was right.

Who are you to talk about principles, Percy Weasley? You gave those up when you choose ambition over family.

I don’t need them, I don’t need anyone.

Then why, before you go to work each day, do you hide your pain behind a mask. Why do spend your nights alone, wishing someone will some and save you from this loveless life you live.

But…

You miss them…

Tears begin to trickle down Percy’s checks, tears he couldn’t wipe away, tears he couldn’t pretend were not there. As he lay there, on that ground, Percy finally realized the mistake he had made. No wonder why Ginny hated him. They all must hate him. How could he ever go back? How could they ever they ever forgive him?

Percy realized things could never go back to the way they were before, but he would change. He refused to continue on this path he was taking.

He would do it for Ginny, for his family.

Percy suddenly remembered his motionless state. Looking at his wand the solution came to him, one he never would have thought of in his anger. Using his mind, Percy nonverbally cast the counter-spell to Petrificus Totalus.

It was a different a Percy that stood up in the moonlit path. As he grabbed his wand, Percy was determined to finish this maze and set things right with his family.

Percy didn’t have to walk very far before the path opened up into a small meadow. In the center he could see a shining light. At that moment he knew that he had reached the end, the center of the maze. As Percy slowly walked toward the light he saw, to his left, a stone bench with a cauldron and potion supplies laying there.

Ignoring the light in the center of the meadow, Percy walked over to the bench and picked up an old piece of parchment laying there. It read:

Quick the word and smooth the tongue,
In final task ‘till you be done,
Here’s your chance, brew your aid,
So if you are by chance delayed
An excuse you might make,
So home the prize you might take.


Veritaserum, Percy thought. Privately, Percy thanked Professor Snape for insisting that every NEWT student knew how to make Veritaserum and the antidote. Luckily, the antidote only took an hour to make and wasn’t nearly as complex.

Percy lit a fire underneath the cauldron and went to work. He prepared and added the right ingredients, thinking hard to remember the correct number of times to stir between each. As Percy neared completion he realized two needed ingredients that were not on the bench; Fluxweed and Hellebore. He smiled as he remembered the three plants in his pocket. First Percy added Fluxweed; this ingredient more commonly used in Polyjiuce Potion, would now help his lies sound like truth. After stirring the potion three times counter-clockwise, he added the final ingredient, Hellebore. This plant was more commonly used in the Draught of Peace, but in this potion it would help clear his mind, so he could say what he wanted to say. Percy allowed his potion to simmer for seven minutes, and then poured it into a flask. Hoping he had done everything right, Percy drank a couple gulps and walked toward the center of the meadow.

Halfway from the bench to the light in the center, Percy stopped. There was figure approaching with the unmistakable shape and gait of his boss, Senior Undersecretary Umbridge. She was surrounded by…schoolchildren? Yes, Percy recognized some of them, but why were they here?

“Hem, hem.”

Umbridge’s fake cough brought Percy back to reality, and the possibility that he was in real danger of getting of fired. He highly doubted that Umbridge or the Minister would approve of this maze.

Umbridge’s wand moved in a complicated motion, as she smiled sweetly, “Percy, I need your help. The Minister and I want to know what is going here.”

Percy felt the truth charm hit him, but the antidote he had taken keep his mind clear. Percy made his face expressionless and answered plainly, “It started before you came into my office this morning. I received an invitation to participate in a competition called the Gauntlet.”

“Why didn’t you inform me?” demanded Umbridge.

“I thought it was a fake. I believed that this was some joke of Fred and George’s, and that I could end their foolishness without bothering you or the Minister.”

“Go on.”

“I followed the instructions and met at the Hogwarts’ door at ten that night. There were seven other people gathered, Potter and some of his friends.” Percy had to contain his laughter at that moment, Snape was far from one of Potter’s friends, but Umbridge didn’t need to know that.

“Potter,” Umbrigde’s face lit up into an evil grin. “What is Potter doing here?”

“At first I wasn’t sure, but now I am. I was right originally, this maze is a fake. The Gauntlet is nothing more than a clever way to get Potter more publicity and glory. Every challenge I have faced is something that Potter, due to his various experiences, would pass through easily. Also, with all of other competitors, expect me, being his friends they will have no problem in letting him win.”

“Potter!” Umbridge cursed. “I had a chance to expel and discredit him, and I let that stupid Mudblood trick me!” Regaining her composure she asked, “If this is true, then why are you here.”

“I don’t know for sure, but I suspect as part of the joke. Let Percy think that he a chance to earn glory and a great prize, only to be bested by a person he hates, Harry Potter. It sounds exactly like a prank Fred and George would pull. They hate me for refusing to join them in Dumbledore and Potter’s plots.”

“Yes, yes of course. I have wanted very much to get back at those two and now I can get them and Harry Potter.” Umbridge turned and started walking away.

Percy let himself breathe; he was free of her and still had his job! Wait, what had he done? He sent Umbridge after Potter and his brothers, just so he could save his own skin. He told himself he would change, but when it came down to job or family he had again chosen his job.

Percy ran to catch up with Umbridge. “Senior Undersecretary,” he cried.

“What, Percy?”

“I think you are making a mistake.”

“How dare you speak to me in this way?”

“Forgive me, Senior Undersecretary, but you are handling this in the wrong way. If you attempt to persecute Potter and my brothers, it will simply be your word against theirs. Right now the public thinks highly of Harry Potter, you will lose.”

“So what do you purpose? I will not stand by and let Potter gain more glory out of a publicity stunt!”

“Work behind the scenes, make sure the public never hears about the Gauntlet, then it won’t matter if he wins?”

“You are right.” With that Umbridge let out an angry howl and stormed away.

Percy sighed in relief as he watched Umbridge disappear into the Gauntlet, he had done it. Potter and his brothers would never know, but he knew.

Percy walked toward the light and saw that it was Guide’s lantern hanging on pole, shining brighter then ever before. Next to light was the Guide sitting passively on a stone bench next to a large stone Pensive.

“Congratulations, Percy. You have passed the final test.”

“Did I win?”

The Guide laughed, “What is it with you humans? You all ask the same question, all concerned about the one thing that is the least important. What you should be asking is this, what did I learn?”

“Fine, what did I learn?”

“Only you can answer that question?”

Percy shook his head in disgust, “Take me home then if all you’re going to do is speak in riddles.”

“Humans, so impatient,” the Guide sighed. “Listen, please, to one more:

If you can name it,
This thing with danger bought,
Then you can claim it,
But don’t get caught.”

“So I just name my prize?” asked Percy. “That’s all I have to do?”

“You must name the right prize, Percy. To do that you must ask yourself the right question.”

What did I learn?

Percy thought to himself, he knew what he learned in this maze. That he missed his family, that he had made a mistake in leaving them. This Guide, she couldn’t just reunite them and heal old wounds, could she? Percy looked to the midnight blue eyes of the Guide and said his voice full of hope, “My family.”

“Correct. However, both you and I know I can’t simply wave my wand and make things they way they were before. Only you can make amends. Are you willing to face them, Percy?”

Percy wanted to, he longed to, but deep inside he knew he couldn’t. He promised himself he would change and he did, but he was still too afraid to take the final step. He feared rejection, that his family would still hate him. “No,” he whispered shamefully.

“I thought so. Percy, you have Ravenclaw’s intelligence, Slytherin’s ambition, and toward the Ministry, Hufflepuff’s loyalty. But you are a not a Ravenclaw, Slytherin, or Hufflepuff, are you? You are a Gryffindor, so where is that Gryffindor courage?”

“I’m only a Gryffindor because of my last name.”

“That is not true. Percy, I promised you a prize for completing the tasks and I will give you one. Look into the Pensive and you will gain the courage to face your family.”

Percy did as he was told, his hands griping the sides as he stared in the silvery mists. He felt himself fall and before he knew it, Percy was standing in a dark and dusty drawing room looking at a rattling desk.

He heard the lock unlatch and saw something come out of desk, then lying on the floor was Ron, dead. Percy shook his head, no, it couldn’t be. He could hear someone sobbing behind him. It was his mum. Percy wanted to reach out to her, say something, but he knew he couldn’t. He could only watch. The door to the room flung open and in walked Harry Potter.

“Mrs. Weasley?” Harry croaked.

His mum still sobbing cried, “R-r-riddikulus!”

The Boggart, Percy now realized, changed to Bill, then when mum cried the spell again to Dad, then Fred and George, then him. Percy stared at his body and his sobbing mother, tears rolling down his cheeks as he saw how much his mother loved. His mind was in a daze as the Boggart became Harry and more people came into the room. He barely registered that Lupin had gotten rid of the Boggart. His mind refocused in time to his mother cry, “I see them d-d-dead all the time! All the t-t-time! I d-d-dream about it…”

While some people comforted his mum, Percy struggled with the realization that her worst fear was the death of her family, his death. He had left her, making him almost as good as dead…Percy watched his mum.

“I’m just s-s-so worried,” she said, tears spilling out of her eyes again. “Half the f-f-family’s in the Order, it’ll be b-b-be a miracle if we all get through this….and P-P-Percy’s not talking to us….What if something d-d-dreadful happens and we never m-m-made up?”

Those words shook Percy to core. What if mum was right? What if something happened to his family and they died hating him? No, mum still loved him. She loved him no matter what he did. That is why he had to go back, so mum would know he loved her, too.

Percy felt his body leaving the Pensive and its return to the meadow where the Guide patiently waited. And she continued to wait as he cried until the first bits of sunlight starting creeping over the horizon.

“Percy,” whispered the Guide.

Percy slowly stopped crying and wiped the tears from his eyes.

“Are you ready?” she asked.

“Take me home,” he replied.

As the sun rose, Percy walked across the front lawn of the Burrow. He finally had the courage to face his family and his past.


AN: The pensive scene is from the chpater "The Woes of Mrs. Weasley" in OOTP.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=52846