Hidden by Marauder by Midnight
Summary: Epilogue up.

Luna Lovegood, fresh out of Hogwarts, is assigned her first article abroad in rural England for the Quibbler. However, she encounters a strange story in this small town. Soon, she finds herself entangled in a web and race to save the life of a former Death Eater.



Luna Lovegood/Draco Malfoy.



Post-Hogwarts, Mystery, Draco/OC, Other Pairing story.



Dedicated to Poultrygeist who presented to me an unforgettable plot bunny.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded, Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 16753 Read: 38274 Published: 06/19/06 Updated: 07/31/07

1. Arrival by Marauder by Midnight

2. Captivity by Marauder by Midnight

3. Changes by Marauder by Midnight

4. Wake Up, Luna by Marauder by Midnight

5. Runs in the Family by Marauder by Midnight

6. Family and Reputation by Marauder by Midnight

7. Occultusum Malfoy by Marauder by Midnight

8. Smiles by Marauder by Midnight

9. Found by Marauder by Midnight

10. Far From Here by Marauder by Midnight

11. Epilogue - Hidden by Marauder by Midnight

Arrival by Marauder by Midnight
Author's Notes:
All characters, except Antiqus and Famos, are created by J.K. Rowling.

Thanks go to my beta deanine. Thanks to Poultrygeist for assigning me this lovely challenge to write Luna/Draco after my off-hand observation that the two looked strangely compatible.
Hidden
Chapter 1 - Arrival


Cocking her head to one side, she listened absentmindedly to the man's wild ramblings about the snarshlucks. Or was it the Horned Screwzits? She sighed, brushing her blonde hair back from her eyes and leaning forward on her elbows. The bearded man, believing his young listener was enraptured, grinned toothlessly and waved his arms around more zealously than before.

For a moment, Luna grimaced at her surroundings. Raunchy, drunk wizards downed tankards of beer and whiskey, shouting at each other as they did so. Their lopsided grins, illuminated barely by the flickering torches on the wall, reminded Luna of the wicked smiles carved into pumpkins around Hallow's Eve. Some less alcohol-tolerant wizards lay sprawled across the dark staircase that led to dingy rooms where Luna herself was staying.

Despite the grubby tavern and its less-than-satisfactory living conditions, Luna Lovegood reveled in her first assignment abroad for the Quibbler and her father. Finally deemed learned enough to venture out on her own, Luna had embraced the topic others would've turned their noses at. For the past three days, Luna diligently gathered accounts of various new beasts in this forsaken town for the new Quibbler special edition issue from individuals Luna could only describe as "shady."

"Eh, how 'bout another Firewhisky there, Antiqus?" Luna's interviewee bellowed toward the bar.

Luna blinked as the old bartender hobbled over to oblige the toothless drunk seated across her. She bit back her cry of disgust as she watched the man down another tankard, satiating the thirst his words had caused him and indifferent to the foam trickling down his already scraggly beard. As Antiqus continued to refill the cup, the bearded man gave Luna a wink.

"So, yeh here for any other stories mayhap?"

Luna smiled warily and gave him her trained response. "Only for stories interesting and true," she replied, reciting the line her father had taught her to say for "headline-mongerers."

"'ell, you came to the right man then! Famos 'ere got a belly-full of stories for yeh!" Luna chuckled nervously as the man leaned toward her to whisper, "Bet yeh haven’t heard about the golden-haired Muggle who lives just in those mountains over yonder,” pointing toward the horizon. Luna caught sight of the majestic peaks outlined by the setting sun, coloured a royal purple.

“A Muggle, say you?” Luna was unimpressed. Muggles lived all over the area, often preferring the quiet of the countryside to the cacophony and chaos city life brought. Surreptitiously, she signaled for Antiqus, who was lingering beside their table, to bring her the bill. Unsurprisingly, Antiqus paid no heed to his lone female customer as his eyes narrowed at the story Famos was telling.

“Aye a Muggle! And not just a regular Muggle! But a magical Muggle.” The man hiccupped as he wiped his beard with a dirt-covered hand.

This time, Luna rolled her eyes openly. There was a limit to what lunacy she would stand for, and this certainly crossed the line. She wondered if Famos had too much to drink. Or maybe he was always like this. “Sir, there are no such things as magical Muggles. People are either Muggles or wizards. Now, really, Antiqus, bring me my-“

“This Muggle can see this ‘ere village,” the drunkard droned on as if Luna never interrupted, “yet he can’t perform any spells. No education in the wizarding ways, this man!”

Luna paused and turned back to her companion unwillingly yet with a look of curiosity. “A Muggle who can see a wizarding village?”

Famos’ grin widened. “Aye, miss. Saw the bloke amblin’ about the village, always hoverin’ close to this here inn!”

Beside her, Antiqus began quivering with fright or anger, Luna couldn’t be completely sure. She’d gotten all the information she could get from Famos; no need getting the innkeeper upset as well. Luna cleared her throat. “Antiqus, please fetch this nice man another drink.” Antiqus shuffled off faster than Luna thought the wizened old man could. She turned back to Famos, “I promise we’ll look into this, Famos, but I’ll need to talk to my father before deciding anything.” She stood up, ready for bed and, at the crack of dawn, heading back to Quibbler Headquarters. She took out a pouch full of Sickles and slapped it onto the table with disgust. “Thank you for your help, Famos.” She turned on her heels and marched toward the stairs, eager to escape the stench of vomit, Firewhiskey, and sweat.

As she passed the bar, she noticed the unrelenting stare of the bartender Antiqus. The ancient and deformed man, though seemingly frail, glared at her with eyes deep with menace and…hatred. Pure hatred. Luna stumbled a bit, catching herself on a nearby table. As she looked up into Antiqus’ eyes again, she was surprised to see it glazed with concern and friendliness; every remnant of the Antiqus she had seen a moment before had vanished without a trace. She smiled shakily as she made her way to the stairs, bidding him a quiet goodnight.

“Sleep well, Ms. Lovegood.”

*

Luna stepped out from the shower feeling somewhat more refreshed and relaxed than before. She sighed contented as she dressed herself. On her way out of the bathroom, she afforded the mirror a glance.

A petite blonde female smiled innocently at her. Locks of amber hair cascaded down her back and in front of her shoulders. Startling blue eyes that could’ve rivaled those of Albus Dumbledore stared back. Her eyes. The windows into her soul, as her mother loved to say. Luna leaned forward, gazing deeply into the eyes in her reflection.

What do I see in myself? she sighed.

A girl.

Luna winced as she hastily stepped away from the mirror. She squeezed her eyes shut as she remembered those painful words: ”Grow up Luna! It’s time you did. We all did.”

Oh, Ron.

She felt her stomach heave and her heart churn as the familiar face conjured itself in her mind’s eye. Those scars that hadn’t fully healed even after all this time. His words continued to echo so clearly in her ears. Her eyes began to burn as tears long suppressed threatened to flow.

No.

I’m strong. Everyone always says tears are for children. And aren’t you going to grow up? For him? Come now, Luna. Get a hold of yourself.

Composing herself and supporting herself with the sink, Luna straightened. Her reflection had turned a shade paler after her moment of weakness. I’m okay, Luna thought as she smiled brightly at the girl “ yes, girl “ in the mirror.

As Luna stepped out of the bathroom, she let her mind focus on her debut article in the Quibbler. Absorbed in her work, she barely noticed the two cloaked strangers standing between her and her room until she bumped into them.

Looking up, she smiled politely and opened her mouth to ask for entrance into her room.

Stupefy!” Both strangers muttered the spell, their voices muffled by their heavy cloaks.

Luna felt the spell hit her in her stomach twice. Then, she felt no more.




End notes: This chapter follows as closely to canon as my knowledge of the Harry Potter universe as of June 19, 2006 allows. Any information revealed to be false by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will not be changed.

Reviews are graciously accepted and appreciated.
Captivity by Marauder by Midnight
Author's Notes:
All characters mentioned in this chapter are created by J.K. Rowling.

Thanks to my beta deanine and my inspiration Poultrygeist.
Hidden
Chapter 2 - Captivity


I’m dead.

Luna, wide awake, lied on the grimy carpet without moving. She was aware that her eyelids were moving up and down. But why, oh why, was it still pitch black?

Luna pushed herself up from the floor and immediately groaned aloud in pain. Clutching her stomach, she groped the darkness for something to lean on. Resting her hand upon a nearby armchair, Luna balanced herself on her wobbly legs. The sudden movement surprised her mind, and instantly, Luna was back on her knees, dry-heaving and panting.

“Oh, Merlin,” she moaned in pain as stars swam before her eyes. As she recovered, she noticed a light approaching from her left side.

Footsteps.

Instinctively, Luna reached behind her ear, looking vainly for her wand. Ah yes, she remembered. That particular tendency had irked him so much that she now placed her wand in the pockets of her robes, a common enough place.

Luna’s wandering mind was suddenly brought back to the present when a scraggly figure appeared before her. A disheveled young man dressed in fine black robes made from the richest materials stood in front of Luna, tall and proud. His stringy blond hair hung limply to his abdomen, framing a stony face with chiseled, prominent chin and cheeks. In one hand, he held the dancing candle. In the other, he held a wand.

Oh, the dangers of putting something everyone else does.

Luna’s eyes widened. “Hey! That’s my wand!” Weakness dissipated into anger as Luna shot up and marched straight to the stranger. Embarrassed to see that she was still a head or so shorter than him, but nonetheless fired up, she stared straight into his eyes.

His eyes.

Luna was startled to see her captor’s sea-grey eyes. There was something familiar about his eyes. She knew there was something deeper, something more to this man. Through his eyes, she saw a man who has been hurt, rejected, and confused all his life.

Someone like me.

Luna was surprised to hear herself think that thought. True, she’d been teased her entire life, yet it hadn’t affected her much at all. But she didn’t think she’d go as far as to characterise herself in the same category as this…this…

“You’re the magical Muggle aren’t you?” The words burst out of her before she could stop it, a habit Ron had asked her many times to break.

The man let out a hoarse, deep laugh, throwing his blond hair back as he did so. However, even as he chuckled, Luna still noticed the droop in his grin and the dull look in his eyes. “Is that what they call me nowadays?” He shook his head. “Three years ago, I went by a different name. A cursed name,” he added quietly.

“Who are you?” Damn her tongue.

All remains of his empty mirth disappeared. He cleared his throat nervously, “That’s none of your business, Luna.”

Luna frowned. “How do you know my name?”

The stranger glowered. “Don’t ask so many questions,” he snapped. “It’s what got you here in the first place. Besides,” he mused softly, “you’ll find out soon enough.

“Here,” the man’s tone shifted abruptly, “is where you will be staying for as long as it takes you to do what I need you to do.” Muttering a spell underneath his breath, he pointed his “ Luna’s “ wand at the nearby candles, immediately lighting up the room to give it a delightful glow.

Luna looked around, observing her new quarters. For a loner in the mountains, she mused, he kept very large quarters. The armchair she had felt earlier was paired with another matching green one, covered in the same grainy layer of dust. Both were placed in front of a grand fireplace that never seemed to have been used. On the far side of the room sat a huge bed, unlike any she’d seen before. It, too, had a cover of dark green with silver linings.

The colours of the Slytherins.

Luna suppressed a shiver, looking up at the ceiling for a distraction. Almost ghost-like, and adding to the haunting atmosphere, the shape of a chandelier underneath a draped piece of cloth hung from the high ceilings.

As she lowered her head, Luna’s mind raced with questions, all of which she was careful not to blurt out. She felt the stranger’s keen eyes watching her closely, so she turned to face him, keeping her face as calm and serene as she could.

“It could do with a bit of remodeling,” she stated coolly. “I’ll guess that you haven’t kept this place tidy for quite some time.”

The man smiled grimly. “This used to be my old bedroom. But I sleep across the hall now. You might say I’m haunted by…nightmares.” For a moment, Luna detected a flash of concealed rage in this stranger’s eyes. But when she blinked, it disappeared just as quickly as it had appeared.

The man now stared at her with raised eyebrows. “What, no questions?” he asked sarcastically.

Luna replied indifferently, “Well, considering you’re holding me captive and ordering me to hold my tongue, I can’t very well disobey you, can I?”

The stranger smirked. “Smart girl.” He straightened his posture. “Come, it’s dinnertime.” With that, he turned smartly and marched out the room without glancing behind or waiting for the surprised Luna to catch up.

*


The man led Luna into a lovely, though sorely neglected, dining room where a simple meal had already been prepared at the table, a small square-shaped thing that did the elegant dining room no justice.

“Shall we?” Her captor motioned to the nearest chair, indicating where Luna was expected to sit. He himself sat across from her, tucking her wand safely in his pocket.

Luna eyed the roasted chicken warily. True, she was hungry “ no, starving “ but she had paid attention long enough in Potions to know of the existence of certain undetectable poisons.

“No, the food’s not poisoned, Luna,” the man read her thoughts exactly. “If I had wanted you dead, I wouldn’t have gone through the trouble with waiting for you to wake up.” When Luna still did not move, he let out an impatient sigh. “Look, I’ll eat a piece just to show you.” He took his fork and dug right into the food then took a large bite.

Left with no other choice, Luna hesitatingly picked up her fork and took a piece herself. It does look mighty appetizing, she thought, before giving up to her stomach and shoving the piece into her mouth. Satisfied, the man, who had scrupulously watched Luna eat her first piece of chicken, resumed his meal in reciprocating silence.

After Luna finished a good portion of the dishes on the table, she sat back and stretched, feeling as relaxed as she could in her state. She closed her eyes and leaned back into her chair, letting her head droop over the back of the chair. She felt his calculating eyes, and she didn’t care.

“So, now that you’re filled up, how about a little story telling?”

“Hmm?” Luna smiled, her eyes still closed. “All right.” Bloody hell, Luna. Too much wine.

“Once upon a time, a great Pureblood family lived in this very same house until very recently. They were happy to a certain extent, living together in peace and wealth. There was a father, a mother, and a son. What more could they possibly ask for? But the father had a terrible secret: he was a member of the Dark Lord’s followers.”

Luna’s eyes snapped open. “A Death Eater lived here?” That would partially explain the ever-present green-and-silver theme decorating the house.

The man nodded solemnly. “A fervent Death Eater. Bent upon destroying all Muggles, Muggle-borns, and Muggle-lovers. During the rise of the Dark Lord, he never hesitated to cast Unforgivable Curses upon anyone who stood in his way. Soon, he himself rose to become one of the Dark Lord’s right-hand followers.

“However, eighteen years ago, when the Dark Lord was defeated the first time by the Boy Who Lived, he adamantly protested against all accusations that he was a Dark Lord’s follower, claiming that whatever harm he had done had been against his will and without his knowing. So he was free. Free to intimidate the sworn enemies of Death Eaters. Free to walk down the streets knowing his comrades were suffering in Azkaban. Free to impress his visions of a Pureblood society upon his young son.

“He taught his son all the beliefs and ideals the Death Eaters had clung to during their Reign of Terror. And, as all children do, his son grew up and was sent, albeit grudgingly, to the Hogwarts school under the tutelage of Muggle-loving Albus Dumbledore. There, living under the nose of his father’s lord’s enemy, the boy grew up, a model of the Pureblood race. And he did everything his father told him to do: terrorize the other children, spread the principles, and above all, get Harry Potter expelled.”

Luna felt the hairs on her arms rise. The wheels in her head spun wildly as she began to place a name with the face. A glance into the man’s stone-grey eyes confirmed her worst fear.

“Unfortunately,” the man plowed on, still gazing fiercely at Luna, “the boy never was able to accomplish his last task, as Dumbledore favored Potter too much. Suddenly, the boy found his father’s face on the front page of the Daily Prophet. The old Death Eater had been arrested and placed in Azkaban when he, along with a handful of other Death Eaters, were found in the Ministry of Magic, doing the bidding of the reborn Dark Lord.”

Luna shivered; she remembered that day all too well.

“Thirsty for vengeance, the boy pledged his allegiance recklessly to the Dark Lord resurrected, becoming a full-fledged Death Eater like his father. However, the boy was naïve; the foundations of his beliefs had been shaky and not at all as firm as his father’s. So when the Dark Lord assigned him the ultimate task, when the moment of triumphed arrived…” the man’s voice had reached a crescendo at this point. Luna’s hands gripped the sides of her chair to keep from launching at his throat. He spoke again, this time, softer, “He couldn’t do it. He couldn’t bring himself to bring down the great man whom he feared yet respected. The man who represented the dreams and hopes of the people Pureblood wizards hated.”

The man sighed. “Unfortunately, though he didn’t kill Albus, he stood by and allowed a fellow Death Eater do it. The boy might not have learned much from his father, but he knew his father well enough to have picked up a key trait: cowardice. That’s right, the little boy ran instead of facing the hatred and wrath of the Purebloods or the Muggle-sided wizards. He had failed each and every one of them.”

Luna shook her head, biting her lower lip with anger. “I don’t want to hear anymore!” she shouted. “You killed Dumbledore! You killed Albus Dumbledore!”

For the first time since she’d arrived, the man took his piercing eyes off of her. “I might as well have,” he whispered softly.

Luna shuddered, collecting herself. “Malfoy,” she whispered, silently cursing her trembling voice. “What do you want with me?”

This time, Draco Malfoy, Slytherin poster boy, looked up with hardened eyes, “You will tell the world my story and my apology.”

Oh Merlin, what had she gotten herself into?




End notes: This chapter follows as closely to canon as my knowledge of the Harry Potter universe as of June 19, 2006 allows. Any information revealed to be false by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will not be changed.

Reviews are graciously accepted and appreciated.
Changes by Marauder by Midnight
Author's Notes:
All characters mentioned in this chapter are created by J.K. Rowling.

Thanks to my beta deanine and my inspiration Poultrygeist.
Hidden
Chapter 3 - Changes


“It’s impossible,” Luna heard herself say, “My father will wonder where I am. He’ll come after me.”

Draco waved a hand of dismissal. “My men have taken care of it. He’ll be expecting the story on the ‘magical Muggle’ shortly.”

Luna stared at him calmly. “Your men?” Thinking back to the pub, Luna remembered. “Antiqus. He’s a-“

“No,” Draco interrupted sharply, saving Luna from uttering the forbidden words. “He’s only a loyal servant to my father.” He raised an eyebrow in amusement. “You really think the Ministry would’ve let him live if he was?”

Oh yes. Percy Wesley, the new Minister of Magic, was fond of the Blood Hunt, a politically sanctioned dead-or-alive manhunt targeting every Death Eater left. Of course the Minister preferred the less aggressing term Sweeping. And Luna had to admit grudgingly it was a form of cleaning...and a messy one at that. Luna remembered the decree issued a year ago. ’All individuals bearing the Dark Mark of Voldemort will be given a life sentence at Azkaban Prison.’ Luna knew it was only an attempt to gain back the power over the wizarding community after the Last Battle the year before.

Paranoia had swept all over the world. Thousands had been brought to trial, accused of being a Voldemort supporter. The Ministry, to save manpower (and Galleons), then issued the declaration. They also set about to pass laws in order to gain control of the fear that still permeated the atmosphere. “Voldemort” was the only correct name of the ‘traitor, instigator, and vile threat to all life.’ Anyone who called him by any other name to mark reverence was tried as a Death Eater.

‘Death Eater,’ too, became an unlawful term for creatures who worshiped Voldemort. Soon a different panic rocked the wizards as hundreds of thousands of individuals (most of whom were innocent) were accused of being Death Eaters. Azkaban became overcrowded, and escapes from the infamous prison became all too common.

So quietly, the Ministry began to kill any and all individuals bearing the green snake on his forearm. Many desperate Death Eaters had tried countless ways to remove the Mark, yet none were able to succeed. Soon the Daily Prophet had stopped naming the discovered Death Eaters and had moved on to more appropriate subjects, yet the deaths always hung in the air.

At the beginning, Luna and Ron had spent a good deal of their mornings scanning the names of dead Death Eaters: Snape, S., Rosier, E., Malfoy, N., Malfoy, L., Lestrange, R. The list went on and on.

Of course, the Death Eaters that went out with a bang, so to speak, were given a page of their own in the Daily Prophet. Rosier had taken out three Aurors when discovered in the streets. Lucius Malfoy, in a crazed frenzy, had attacked the Boy who Lived and his wife Hermione in their London home. His wife Narcissa had tried to use her body to shield him from the green lights shot from Auror wands. Severus Snape was found in a drunken stupor in the old Black mansion, former headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix.

“I’ve tried all that I could to get rid of this…damn Mark.” Draco pulled up his robe sleeves to reveal the vile green snake burned into his pallid skin. “When the Ministry issued the order, I even tried to cut off my own arm.” Draco lifted his sleeves even more to reveal a ragged band just above his elbow. “It is only a matter of time before the frenzy reaches this side of England,” Draco dropped his sleeves abruptly, snapping Luna’s attention back on him. “And it is time we have to race against.”

Luna gazed at Draco curiously. “Do you really think any article I write would save your life? Do you believe the Ministry would listen to anything I have to say?” She shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly. “This is my first big article, and my father is “ sorry, was “ expecting a story on-”

“The Ministry is on a rampant mission to wipe all of us out,” Draco interrupted. His eyes dimmed with suppressed frustration. “Some of us have truly reformed. Most of us weren’t even true Death Eaters to begin with. Rodolphus always followed Bellatrix. When she died, he had taken the initiative to buy land in Sydney to run a pet store.” Draco glared at Luna. “Did you know that?”

Luna did not reply. She’d been in the journalism business too long to know that sympathy stories toward Death Eaters was an unspoken taboo.

Draco shook his head, “I’m only trying to set things right. That damned Weasley has gotten his priorities in a mess. To him, this Blood Hunt is merely revenge on all Death Eaters, on all who made his family’s life miserable. He doesn’t listen to anything anyone has got to say, blaming the chaos and fear on the fact that former Death Eaters still walk freely.” He smirked coldly at Luna. “He only listens to his brother. Ronald. If my sources were correct, he was your husband for a time, wasn’t he?”

Luna stood up, quivering with silent rage. “That’s enough, Draco. You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Draco gave a short bark of laughter. “Oh Luna. You’re still the naïve little thing you were in school, aren’t you?”

“No,” the ferocity in her voice surprised both, “You’re not the only one who changed.” And with that, Luna turned on her heels and marched back to her room.




End notes: This chapter follows as closely to canon as my knowledge of the Harry Potter universe as of June 21, 2006 allows. Any information revealed to be false by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will not be changed.

Reviews are graciously accepted and appreciated.
Wake Up, Luna by Marauder by Midnight
Author's Notes:
All characters mentioned in this chapter are created by J.K. Rowling.

Thank you to my three betas deanine, sayiansirius, and Accio_brain as well as my inspiration Poultrygeist.
Hidden
Chapter 4: Wake Up, Luna


Luna groaned as light seeped through the boards nailed to the windows. She sat up, shaking herself awake, concentrating on the covers as her eyes adjusted to the light.

Wait.

Luna blinked hard at the green silk cover thrown across her stomach. She traced the intricate curves on the pattern slowly with one finger, admiring the fine needlework. Growing up, Luna and her father could not afford all the fineries available to whoever owned this bed set. She’d never been able to glimpse the lifestyle she’d been missing…until now. Luna lifted her head, taking the time to study the room before her. The huge bed she found herself in was covered overhead, partially blocking her view of the grand chandelier in the middle of the room hidden by a huge white cloth. A small dresser was placed on each side of the bed. Both were bare save for a lamp set on each dresser. A miniature, decorative four-legged table sat near the fireplace on the far side of the room, cleared of anything but dust. Luna closed her eyes, not wanting to wake from this dream.

She then opened her eyes to a nightmare. The flood of memories overwhelmed her. Last night’s conversation with Draco came back “ every word of it. She realized this was the room she’d found herself in the day before.

Luna tumbled out from under the heavy sheets, throwing them to the side as if they burned. Blindly, she made her way through the house to the dining room she’d visited only a few hours ago. The clear, un-curtained windows allowed the light to stream past and into Luna’s eyes.

“Good morning, Luna. Would you like some tea?”

Luna froze in her tracks and lifted her head hesitatingly. Draco sat at the table sipping his tea calmly with the Daily Prophet before him. He wore a rich red robe with his long blond hair tied back in a loose ponytail. He had shaven, Luna could tell; his face was smooth with no sign of the stubble he’d showed the night before. There was no hint of the wild man she’d seen before. Only the dark circles beneath his eyes told Luna he had anything on his mind to lose sleep over.

“I was wondering when you’d come down for breakfast,” he remarked lightly. “Sit down, Luna.” He gestured to the seat across from him. After Luna had settled herself wordlessly, he clapped his hands together twice.

Immediately, a stooped, haggard-looking house-elf appeared with two plates of toast with butter. “Thank you, Dotty.” Draco took the plates from the house-elf without another word. The old house-elf bowed once and disappeared.

After Draco handed one of the platters to Luna, she bit into her toast without expression. “Hermione would be most disappointed in you,” she quipped uninterestedly.

Draco raised his eyebrow as he busied himself with the butter. “Hermione has been anything but happy with me from the start. In school, I had tortured her and her…kind mercilessly. Now her S.P.I.T. or whatever it is would never have taken off if it weren’t for her almighty husband. Now it’s such an important department in the Ministry.” He chuckled. “The world’s gone to pieces. Now S.P.I.T. also has to deal with those house-elf riots. As if the Ministry doesn’t have enough to handle.” He shook his head. “This, I believe, wasn’t the future Dumbledore had envisioned, was it?”

“Well, it’s sure as hell better than your alternative,” Luna said without breaking from her polite breakfast tone. The only sign that she might be feeling anything on the subject, a brutally buttered piece of toast now resting on her plate.

The trace of the smile that had played on Draco’s lips vanished. “I kindly suggest you keep your accusations to yourself until you hear my story,” he whispered steely through clenched teeth.

Luna sat silently, pointedly avoiding Draco’s heated gaze. In her mind, Draco Malfoy would always be Dumbledore’s murderer, she decided. She let her eyes wander to the front page of the Daily Prophet and all thoughts of Draco’s treacherous acts faded away.

Last Weasley Son Marries Again.

Underneath was a picture of a familiar face at an elaborate ceremony.

Luna stiffened. Silence rang in her ears. The headlines swam in her head even after she’d forced herself to look away. Suddenly, the gentle morning light streaming through the windows burned her pale skin unbearably. The cool air in the dining room seemed too stuffy and un-breathable. The fury she’d felt vanished, replaced by feelings of despair and intense humiliation.

The powerful sound of crunching broke Luna’s trance. She was aware of the pair of probing, blue eyes watching her reaction carefully.

Draco swallowed his bite of toast loudly. “You all right, Luna?” He glanced at the newspaper and back at Luna’s rigid form. “It doesn’t say much.” He picked up the paper indifferently and threw it on an empty chair between him and Luna. Draco pretended not to notice how Luna’s eyes followed the paper ever so diligently, unwilling to let the paper, the story, the past go.

“Rita Skeeter at it again, poking her nose where it doesn’t belong. There was a bit about your brief marriage to Ron, of course, but other than that, you weren’t mentioned.”

“Who was she?” Luna surprised herself when she heard her voice.

Draco stared silently at Luna as if deliberating whether or not to speak. “Susan Bones.” Quickly he added, “Good ol’ Percival arranged it. After all, Susan’s family is awfully powerful and thirsty for Death Eater blood. Perfect for Percival’s new campaign.” Draco glanced at the picture again. “I have a feeling no love was involved in this matrimony,” he snorted, taking another sip of tea.

“He was bound to remarry,” Luna remarked, trying to sound offhandedly. “His family’s powerful. I wouldn’t expect anything other than this.”

Draco scoffed. “Don’t try to brush this off, Luna. Obviously this has impacted you enough for you to become an entirely different person. Says here you’d reacted violently to the divorce and had disappeared for three-“

“Unless I’m mistaken, I came here to write your story, Draco,” Luna interrupted shortly. “Not mine. So let’s begin.”




End notes: This chapter follows as closely to canon as my knowledge of the Harry Potter universe as of July 19, 2006 allows. Any information revealed to be false by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will not be changed.

Reviews are graciously accepted and appreciated.
Runs in the Family by Marauder by Midnight
Author's Notes:
All characters mentioned in this chapter are created by J.K. Rowling.

Thanks to deanine for the hard beta-ing. Thank you to my inspiration Poultrygeist.
Hidden
Chapter 5 - Runs in the Family


Draco set his toast down. From his shimmering eyes and jerky movements, Luna could tell he was having a hard time hiding his excitement. “You’re ready? So soon?”

Luna shrugged, mentally pushing the news into the back of her mind. “Of course,” she replied briskly. “The sooner I finish, the sooner I leave.”

Draco grinned, “Am I that scary, Luna?”

“Don’t flatter yourself.” Luna held out a hand expectantly after she pushed away her uneaten toast. “I’ll need quills, ink, and parchment.”

Draco laughed hollowly. “I still can’t believe how much you’ve changed, Loony Luna. But, I’m at your command.” He shook his head. “Let’see… Quick-Quotes or Self-Inking?” Draco’s smile froze when his sharp eyes caught Luna’s flinch. Before he could utter a word of apology, the weakness in Luna’s eyes disappeared and the hardened Luna he’d become accustomed to reappeared.

“Skeeter’s a name of shame among journalists. And those Weasleys couldn’t help themselves let alone the world of writing,” Luna muttered. “A regular eagle-feather quill will be sufficient.”

Draco nodded humbly. “Very well.” He took out a wand and said clearly, “Accio stationary.”

Luna opened her mouth incredulously. “That’s my wand, Malfoy!”

Draco smiled thinly. “I don’t have mine, Luna, for a reason you’ll learn later. So you’ll excuse me for using yours. Ah, here come your supplies.”

Luna turned her head just in time to see a wooden box fly by and land before her. The box, from a distance, had seemed simple. Now, up close, she admired the beautiful carvings along the sides and top of the box. The patterns, she realized, were not dissimilar to the ones she found on her covers this morning. She grimaced slightly when she spotted the fancy ‘Malfoy’ carved so carefully into the lid.

“It was my father’s and his before him,” Draco explained as if it were an apology. “Handed down from father to son through the centuries.” He smiled mirthlessly. “Now it’s mine by default.”

Luna finally brought herself to open the box. The wedges formed by the green felt that lined the insides of the box fitted around two quills, a bottle of ink, and a roll of parchment. Luna emptied the box of its contents, but just before she closed the box, Luna caught a glimpse of a complete set of supplies replenished.

Before Luna was able to unroll the parchment, Draco began his tale. “My father, Lucius Malfoy, carried on the great Malfoy legacy. He was the epitome of Slytherin: Pureblood, strong, powerful, rich. You’re not unfamiliar with his characteristics, are you, Luna?” Without waiting for a reply, Draco continued, “This characterization of Malfoys was the building block of our estate and was the only thing that kept my family together.” Draco waved his hand lazily. “Take it all away, and you leave…nothing.”

Draco was silent for a long moment, causing Luna to look up hesitantly, hoping against all hope that Draco had decided to “

“My father treated my mother, Narcissa Black,” Bollocks, Luna thought as Draco continued, “like someone, something beneath him, even though she was another Pureblood, like him. He wasn’t physically cruel to her “ no, he couldn’t afford to lose her as his companion. He knew my mother had alliances, powerful ones at that, all of whom he couldn’t have turn against him.

“My father saw how dedicated to him, to his dream, my mother was. He used that. However, despite her strong love, I suppose that’s what you can call it, for him, he was secretly afraid that my mother would come to love something else even more than his dream.”

“Why was your father so afraid of losing Narcissa?” Luna blurted out as she paused in her furious scribbling. Silently she cursed herself for her journalistic instincts.

“My mother had to be what my father always wanted a woman “ a wife “ to be: a perfect image. She had to support my father by standing by his every decision, every appearance, every downfall. Just her blood did almost everything to help my father’s reputation. Then she carried the Pureblood baby of his to continue the Malfoy line. But she was superficial.” Draco looked away. “She could never have provided my father more than the image expected of her, a reason why I’m glad she died along with him. She wouldn’t have been able to survive long by herself. She would’ve been alone, desolate…lost.”

Luna glanced up from her writing when Draco stopped speaking a second time. The loss in his eyes as he stared at his own palms awakened a deep sympathy toward him she never thought she’d be able to feel. She realized how hard it had been for him to speak out, to reveal the nature of the his family, to look past a mother’s love and a father’s hurt. It hit her hard: she didn’t know who this man before her was. “Malfoy?” she broke the silence. When he didn’t respond, Luna pressed on, “Did they know you were alive? Did they know where you were?”

Her words brought Draco back to the present, away from the agonizing memories that still tormented him. “No,” he replied heavily. “The only news they’d heard from me was from Snape when he was caught. I didn’t dare send them any messages, not after Weasley’s decree. My father had already incriminated himself that night he broke out of Azkaban for the last battle. But my mother,” Draco shook his blond head again, “there was no evidence linking her to Death Eater activities apart from her damn family.” Draco banged a fist on the table hard enough to make the dishes (and Luna) jump.

Luna eyed Draco warily as he took a deep breath to calm himself. “Sorry,” he mumbled after he’d collected himself. He turned his head away almost shamefully. “When I was growing up,” Draco continued forcefully, “my father would go away for long periods of time. Business with the Ministry, you know. He would leave behind my mother and I in the estate alone save for the few house-elves. It was during those times where I’d learn more about the human my mother was.

“I used to strive to prove to her how strong, how much of a man I was. I would quell her fears, check her closets for night-bogeys, destroy the monsters in her mind, and become the boy she’d dreamt I’d become. At first she had her guard up “ she regarded me, I think, as a possession of my father’s and not entirely hers to love. Gradually, though, she let her guard down and came to love me not as a son of a Malfoy but as a son of Narcissa as well. Soon, I became the one thing my father was afraid of: an object that can take away from Narcissa’s dedication to himself.

“So he began meeting me in the library to force the ideology of the Malfoys, and more, into my mind. He passed to me the teachings given to him by his parents, by his friends, and finally by Voldemort himself. He told me over and over again, ‘Though the Dark Lord may be gone, we must keep his ideas, his lessons alive and close to us. Never forget them.’ On top of those lessons, my father would tell me repeatedly, ‘You’re worthless until you’ve proven your loyalty to the teachings of the Dark Lord. You’re nothing unless you’ve felt the fear and control the Dark Lord has over you. Unless you’ve killed a Mudblood and enjoyed the power you have. Unless you’ve tortured a Muggle and delighted in his spineless screams. So, Draco, you’re worthless. You’re nothing. You’re better off dead.’”

The colour in Draco’s cheeks drained away as his voice became barely a whisper. “I came to believe that. ‘My father won’t love until I’ve gotten blood on my hands. I am just a speck until I get that snake on my forearm.’ These thoughts ran through my head as I grew up and screeched in my ear the moment I saw Harry Potter, the damn Boy Who Lived. I knew who he was,” Draco spat through gritted teeth. “Who didn’t? After all, my father had damned him to an eternity of hells a thousand times over. So when I met him, I knew instantly what I had to do. It was a chance, my chance, to finally force my father to look at me with love. To right the wrongs I did just by passing through my mother’s birth channel. To live up to the blood that ran through my veins.

“I wasn’t foolish enough to believe I could kill Harry Potter on my own. Even with those goons Crabbe and Goyle and with my vast knowledge of the Dark Arts, we were in Hogwarts under the constant eye of Albus Dumbledore. But I knew I could do the next best thing: make Harry Potter fear the Dark Lord the way we did. Humiliate him until he wished he were never born. Treat him like scum the way he’d forced the other Death Eaters to be treated.” Soon, Draco’s voice lost his softness as he became engulfed in his memories and emotions.

Luna paused in her writings. “This didn’t just stop in first year.”

Draco smiled almost nostalgically. “No. Isn’t it amazing how dedicated a son can be to his father, how important it is for him to be accepted by family?” Draco shook his head, whether in shame or in bewilderment, Luna couldn’t tell. “I continued my torture of Harry and his friends even though I failed miserably. Then in my sixth year-“

Luna stood up abruptly. Not now, her mind told her. She wasn’t ready to hear this part just yet. “Malfoy, I’m a bit tired.” She looked down at her roll of parchment. “I have enough to write a good beginning.”

Draco looked up startled, shaken from his remembrances. “But we just started,” he said baffled.

Luna was already on her way out. “Sorry Malfoy,” she mumbled before making her way to her room, back to where she started.




End notes: This chapter follows as closely to canon as my knowledge of the Harry Potter universe as of July 19, 2006 allows. Any information revealed to be false by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will not be changed.

Reviews are graciously accepted and appreciated.

Family and Reputation by Marauder by Midnight
Author's Notes:
All characters mentioned in this chapter are created by J.K. Rowling.

Thanks to my betas Accio_brain and deanine and my inspiration Poultrygeist.
Hidden
Chapter 6 “ Family and Reputation


Luna bit her lip as she stared at the notes on her parchment. She tried to focus on the conversation she’d just had with Malfoy. Vaguely, she recalled something about Death Eaters. Family. Reputation.

Her mind wandered toward the Minister of Magic. She’d always wanted to write a story about him. She’d been so sure Percy Weasley’s mind had been invaded by an ancient and dark force, thirsty for revenge on the remaining Death Eaters who were, in actuality, visitors from another world trying to track the elusive Wrackspurt.

She remembered reading the article about Percy’s proposed declaration and had been so excited to have actual proof that her theory was indeed correct that she had hurried to wake Ron and “

Ron.

Luna smiled bitterly at the memory. Ron, still groggy and annoyed at being awoken so early, had looked at Luna as if she were crazy. Luna had always gotten those looks and never minded them, but she always felt a stab of hurt when Ron looked at her like that.

He shouted and shouted, Luna remembered. Something family. Reputation.

“You’re sometimes so loony, Luna.”

That stung, Luna was so naïve, so in love, that she had dismissed it, attributing it to Ron’s inability to think in the mornings.

So that day, Luna had resolved to figure it all out. Do an article on Percy. Show Ron everything about his brother and his life. Ron would love me once this story is published, she recalled herself thinking.

She had headed down to the Ministry of Magic as soon as she left their flat. Her brother-in-law had received her in the lobby even without an appointment. Family. Reputation.

Luna had immediately set to work, questioning Percy about policies, his personal life, and his opinion on Wrackspurts. She hadn’t noticed his discomfort, nor his habit of looking over Luna’s shoulder at the door. Before she had finished her interview, she remembered, Percy had apologized, saying he had an important meeting to get to.

Luna had understood, nodded, and waved at her father-in-law and Dolores Umbridge who were on their way into the office. She had noted Arthur Weasley’s distracted expression, the poor dear; losing five children could do that to a person. So she Apparated home, happy that she’d gotten all that she needed.

She had been in the dining room, inspecting her half-finished article with pride when Ron had stormed in. She noticed the infamous deep shade of red her husband had turned when he had seen the article on the table. When Luna had opened her mouth to greet him, Ron had cut her off. Enraged, he had rampaged on about family and reputation. He had said the most horrible things to her, things she still remembered “ word for word.

”Umbridge just told me you were in his office, interviewing him for an article! Are you deaf, Luna? I told you how much nonsense this theory was just this morning! Does my opinion not count in this marriage? I expect to be heard and respected!”

Ron strode over to the table and snatched up Luna’s story before she had the chance to object. Before her very eyes, he savagely tore apart the parchment. She watched with wide eyes as he threw the pieces down.

“This story could’ve ruined my family, our reputation,” he continued as he paced around the room. “Percy may have been a git a few years ago, but this decree really is for the best! Are you blind, too, Luna, to not see that? Thousands of Death Eaters gone! Just because you never lost anyone to them, just because your mother died from her own stupidity, doesn’t mean this doesn’t affect you as much as the rest of us.

“This story isn’t something to be trifled with. This isn’t some insignificant fancy that can be warped and published by you, Luna. You and father could be imprisoned for this.” Ron took a deep breath and shook his head in disgust. “To turn against my family is to turn against me. And I, above all others, will not tolerate a traitor in the family.”

Large tears rolled down Luna’s cheeks. “Ron, please.” Ron suddenly looked worn-down. “Luna,” he sighed, massaging the spot between his eyes. “Just get out.”

Luna nodded and, blinded by her tears, collected as many pieces of the parchment she could before making her way to their shared bedroom to collect her belongings. After she packed, she took out a roll of Spellotape and began putting the pieces of parchment together as best she could. When she was done, she placed it carefully on the bed before heading out the apartment. Even as she passed Ron in the hallway, she didn’t bother to say goodbye.


Luna now wondered when Ron had found the pathetically repaired article titled The Great Percival Weasely: Son, Brother, and Minister of Magic.

“Luna?” A smart rap on the door brought Luna back to the present. Hastily she wiped away the traces of tears on her cheeks and cursed at her own stupidity. What had happened ages ago shouldn’t have made her feel this way.

“Luna?” The voice at the door was more urgent now.

“Malfoy, this is your own room,” Luna called back. “I hardly think you need to ask for permission to enter.”

“Ah,” Draco said, sounding amused, “but I never had a woman in my room before. Who knows what foul things you beastly creatures do alone?” There was a pause. “May I come in?”

Luna sighed. “Come in, Malfoy.” She picked up her parchment and began scanning it nonchalantly as if she’d been going over her notes the entire time.

“Dear writer,” Draco smirked as he entered the room, “whatever shall you do without your instruments?” He set his stationary set on Luna’s table. When Luna looked up to acknowledge him, his smile disappeared. “Luna, what’s wrong?”

Startled, Luna quickly turned to her parchment again. “What do you mean ‘what’s wrong’?” she asked, slightly defensively.

“Your nose is red.”

Damn.

Luna let out a short laugh. “I hardly think, Malfoy, that having a red nose should indicate that something is wrong.” She turned back to him as if challenging him to say anything more.

To her surprise, Draco only smiled. “You’re right. My mistake.” He straightened and stared at the parchment before Luna. He gazed at Luna as if he wanted to say something but thought better of it. “Well,” he finally said after a long awkward pause, “I’ll let you be then. You have work to do.”

After Draco left, Luna went back to her notes and groaned. Large teardrops had blotted out huge portions of her notes. She glared at the illegible writing and wondered if that was why Draco had seemed so uncomfortable “ he knew she’d been crying.

Luna sighed and shook her head. She had work to do and resolved to finish this article as quickly as she could.

*


By the evening, however, Luna sat frowning at five different sheets of parchment with five different titles for her article.

The Curse of a Death Eater

An Interview with a Death Eater

My Father Ruined My Life: The Story of the Death Eater Who Kidnapped Me

My Breakfast with a Death Eater’s Son Who Is Also a Death Eater

The Death Eater World is a Dog-Eat-Dog World Too

Luna groaned as she noticed the titles had gotten steadily worse. At this rate, she would never be able to leave.

Luna sighed, sitting back in her chair, as she picked up her notes again. She skimmed for the umpteenth time, ignoring the blotches of tears, looking for anything that might lead to a good title.

Suddenly, she got it.

Frantically, she opened the box and pulled out another sheet of parchment and wrote furiously across the top of the page:

Former Death Eater Pleads for Understanding
Should the World Heed Him?


Luna smirked; Draco never said she had to write a sympathetic story, did he?

Someone “ Malfoy, she corrected herself “ knocked on the door. Luna quickly picked up her last sheet of parchment and ran to her bed. Hastily, she lifted a pillow and stuffed the parchment underneath. Draco knocked again. “Luna, you all right?”

“Hang on, Malfoy.” Luna ran back to her chair and picked up a quill. “Come in!”

Draco stepped in the room with an amused expression. “May I see what Madam Writer has so far?”

Luna bit her lip as Draco strode over to see the parchments she had on her table. Luna faked a sigh as Draco frowned.

“These titles. Luna, you can’t be serious.”

“Do you have any better ideas?” she retorted.

Draco gave her a calculating look. “I think it’s time to continue the interview. Perhaps then, you’d get a better idea of where I’m trying to go with the story.”

“No,” Luna blurted out. “I can’t.”

Startled, Draco asked exasperatingly, “What do you mean you can’t?”

Luna shook her head. “I’m not ready, Malfoy.”

Draco’s eyes softened. After a pregnant pause, he conceded. “All right, Luna. Let’s put this on hold, shall we? But you still need to come down to eat.” When Luna hesitated, Draco sighed impatiently. “I promise I won’t say anything related to the story, Luna. Death Eater’s word.”

Luna couldn’t hold back her laugh. She was surprised at how good it felt. “All right, Malfoy. Lead the way.”




End notes: This chapter follows as closely to canon as my knowledge of the Harry Potter universe as of July 20, 2006 allows. Any information revealed to be false by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will not be changed.

Reviews are graciously accepted and appreciated.
Occultusum Malfoy by Marauder by Midnight
Author's Notes:
All characters mentioned are created by J.K. Rowling.

Thank you to my beta deanine.
Hidden
Chapter 7 - Occultusum Malfoy


He’s changed.

She noticed this every time Draco let out his easy laugh. Weeks after their first, and so far, only, interview, she still couldn’t believe that the man before her was the same man who’d tortured her and her friends only a few years ago. She found herself fascinated with the way Draco tilted his head slightly back as he laughed. The way his eyes glazed over when recalling how Harry and company had bested him all those times.

“And I was stupid enough to insult the bloody hippogriff to his face!” He shook his head as he remembered how childish, how thick he’d been in Hogwarts and dug into the meal before him.

“How come you’ve only realized that now?” Luna asked, only half-joking.

Draco shrugged. “Seeing the death and destruction I had once dedicated my life to wasn’t as glorious as I had thought. I lost my friends in the war. I lost my family. I mean,” Draco wasn’t smiling anymore, “I watched most of them die before my very eyes, some of them so close to me, I could see the fear in their eyes as they lay there, useless.”

Draco suddenly seemed remorseful and old. “I did a lot of growing up after I escaped. I think I had tried to blame everyone else for how I’d suffered in my childhood. I tried to make it everyone else’s fault. I hated Hermione because of what she was. I hated Ron for what he was as well. Harry. Well, I hated Harry just because he was the symbol of my father’s hatred toward me. I was blinded for half of my life with this… this… loathing for everyone around me. Of course, I’d be lying if I said my change had nothing to do with the fact that the side I chose lost.” He tried to smile. “And here, I had promised not to bring up anything for the story.”

Luna struggled to keep calm. “Who said this would be part of the story?”

Draco laughed dryly. “Who, indeed.” Draco picked up his fork again to resume eating. “How about you?” He glanced up at Luna. “What have you been up to? Besides marrying that weasel, of course.”

Luna stiffened slightly. “Writing. Here and there.”

“Oh?” Draco nodded in interest. “About what?”

Luna hesitated, certain Draco would laugh at her if she mentioned the stories she’d been writing. “Theories, mostly,” she replied off-handedly.

Draco grinned. “You’re hiding something, Luna. I promise, I won’t laugh.” Luna had told him about how she’d been teased throughout her years at Hogwarts for her ideas and her…well, loonyness.

Luna faltered before finally giving in. “I’d written some things for my friends. You know, when they were down. I wrote something for Harry entitled Behind the Veil or Behind the Walls of a Caribbean Hut? I had developed a theory about where Sirius Black had gone. It seemed to cheer Harry up quite a bit and had given my father a big boost in sales. I’d written Hermione another theory as well: The Sight and Vodka: How Trelawney Has Both. It made her laugh, though Father said the Seers weren’t too happy with that one. For Ron…” Luna’s voice wavered before she plowed on. “For Ron, I’d prepared to write a story about his brother Percy. They became close after the deaths in their family, so I wanted to write something about how successful Percy’d been. Except… well, Ron got the wrong idea.”

Luna knew her downcast expression had caught Draco’s attention. “Oh?” he asked. “How so?”

Luna let out a shaky sigh before continuing. “Well, I had wanted to write about how Percy’d been invaded by an outside force and that he’d been out to hunt aliens. But then, I remembered how Ron always hated it when I wrote those theories. He’d said it was nonsense, so I decided to write an article he’d believe was true. Except…when he heard I was writing an article, he kicked me out of the house.” Luna tried to keep her voice conversational. “So here I am!”

Draco stared at Luna. She couldn’t quite describe the look; it seemed pitying, but thoughtful.

“You know, Luna,” Draco began cautiously, “you don’t have to be chipper every time you talk.” When Luna opened her mouth to object, Draco raised a hand. “No really, Luna. Lately when we’ve been talking, I noticed you’d always seem to take things so lightly. You talked of your mother’s death as if it was as insignificant as the weather. You can show your emotions, you know.” His voice quieted to a whisper.

“Sometimes,” Luna replied as calmly as she could, “these emotions should remain hidden.”

“Not around here, Luna.” Draco picked up his wine glass and swirled the contents. “I’ve never told you what my family had named this house, have I?” He continued without giving Luna the opportunity to answer, “Generations of Malfoys have come here as a retreat, a sanctuary, if you will, from their emotions. As a great family, sometimes we’re not allowed to show our true emotions, always forced to keep a mask on. Occultusum Malfoy. ‘The Hidden Malfoy.’” He waved a hand at the window. “One day, I’ll take you out to see the inscription over the doorway. It’s my favorite part of the house, really.

“So it’s no wonder why I chose this small home to run to out of all the estates my father owned “ to finally come in touch with my true self. Well, that and the fact that this home has a Secret-Keeper so no one else could find it “ another reason why it’s called ‘The Hidden Malfoy.’”

Luna bit her lip. For years, she’d been hiding her hurt, her pain, her love “ herself. She wondered if she could really open herself to feel the emotions she had really meant to feel all these years. She sighed. It was worth a try; it had been tiring having to bottle everything upside of her.

So after dinner, Draco led Luna into the sitting room where windows running from the roof to the floor allowed for a glorious view of the mountains, the forest, and the town that she realized she’d visited just weeks before. As the sun slipped back to its bed beyond the horizon, she talked, pouring out her story, leaving nothing out. She poured her soul out that night, emptying its contents at Draco’s feet as the tears of anger, remorse, frustration, and laughter overflowed.

She talked throughout the night to her quiet, yet willing audience about her anger toward her peers, her gratefulness toward Dumbledore, her devotion to writing, and her love toward Ron. She described everything in great detail.

Her classmates in first year had hurt her relentlessly for her mad ideas. Those who didn’t participate in the teasing couldn’t bear to look at her, let alone save her. She’d encountered Dumbledore when he’d found her gazing longingly at the other first years running outside. She’d listened enraptured as Dumbledore described his own inability to fit in with his peers so many years ago, and he encouraged her to keep her head up. She’d found escape in writing in a journal of different things she’d noticed about the people around her and in reading what others had to say in the Quibbler. Finally, she described her relationship with Ron, how he’d been so funny in school and how he always seemed to need a shoulder “ her shoulder “ to cry on. He’d been a mess, she recalled, but they were compatible.

And all the time she talked, Draco, she noticed, just sat there across from her, his eyes and posture telling her he was always listening. Not once did he seem tired or bored. He seemed, she noted with surprise, interested in everything she had to say. And not just that. His eyes followed her every movement as well. Whenever she threw her arms around wildly to emphasize a point, his grey eyes seemed to soak it all in. He was, she realized, engrossed with not only her story but her person as well.

When she was finally finished, she let out a sigh, suddenly becoming aware of how tired she really was. As her eyes fluttered shut, she felt a pair of arms gently reach down to pluck her from the couch and carry her up the stairs. She could almost smell the bed before she was placed carefully on top of the covers, still in her day robes.

She swore she heard a man’s voice say, “Good night, Luna Lovegood,” before she allowed herself to indulge in her dreams.




End notes: This chapter follows as closely to canon as my knowledge of the Harry Potter universe as of July 24, 2006 allows. Any information revealed to be false by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will not be changed.

Reviews are graciously accepted and appreciated.
Smiles by Marauder by Midnight
Author's Notes:
All characters here were created by J.K. Rowling.

Thanks to my beta deanine and my inspiration Poultrygeist.
Hidden
Chapter 8 “ Smiles


Luna lay in bed, thinking back on all that Draco had said the night before.

Occultusum Malfoy.

Luna pulled the covers further up her chest. She wasn’t sure if she could face Draco, not this early in the morning. She’d told him everything, things she’d never told her father even. She didn’t want to know Draco’s reaction to her tales.

She closed her eyes and thought dreamily, I don’t want to leave here. Whether she meant the bed or the house, Luna wasn’t sure.

*


“Ah you’re finally up.” Draco set down his teacup. “It’s nearly noon, Luna.”

Luna shrugged. “I was up late,” she mumbled as she plopped in the chair beside Draco. She ignored Draco’s intense stare as she drank from her cup casually. “I think we can continue the article now, don’t you think?” Her insides twisted when she uttered these words, but she knew there wasn’t any use stalling anymore.

“Luna? You all right?” Draco looked concerned and awkward, as if unsure whether to express his emotions so openly.

Luna waved him off. “I’m fine, Dr- Malfoy. Last night, after I’d…told you everything, I realized I’m ready for anything you throw at me.” Luna took in a deep breath. “I’m ready to know the rest of your story.” Even though she knew she was so much closer to gaining back her freedom, she felt her spirits sink.

Draco nodded, his lips forming a thin line. He, too, didn’t seem pleased to move on. “Very well. After brunch, then, we’ll take a stroll in the garden.”

Over the course of two weeks, Luna and Draco took the morning walk together as Draco told his story. He was never able to finish the story in one morning’s walk, as Luna would stop him after a few times round the modest garden. Then, the two would settle down on the garden bench, and Luna would lighten the dark mood with her experiences, thoughts, and dreams. She found that over time, strangely enough, she began to count how many times she could unknowingly make him laugh in an hour’s time.

“So Luna, how would you suggest I go about removing that wine stain on my carpet?”

Luna thought back to the number of times she’d sloshed wine on the floor of Ron’s apartment. “Well, when I spilled wine, Ron would take those Muggle spraying bottles (he never was adept with spells), spray some on his hand, and work his way from the outside of the stain to the inside. It took him three bottles every time, so he was always frustrated afterward. When he got angry, he usually rubbed his face with his hand. So at the end of the day, he’d have a face full of stain removals!”

Draco laughed his deep-throated chuckle for the fourth time since they’d started their walk. He wrapped an arm around his stomach, an action, Luna learned, that was not unlike her habit of clutching her midsection when she laughed raucously. She giggled along with Draco; the loss of Ron always was easier to tolerate after she had a good laugh about her ex-husband.

Luna watched pleased as blood flowed into Draco’s cheeks as his laugh slowly became less restrained. “That Weasel was always the brunt of all the professor’s jokes,” Draco grinned at the memory. Luna gazed fascinated at the laugh lines that formed around Draco’s steel-grey eyes and on his forehead. His smile faded somewhat as he crinkled his brows in thought. “Luna?”

“Hmm?” Luna averted her eyes quickly, suddenly taking more interest in smoothing the wrinkles of her robes.

“What are you going to do when you leave?”

Luna’s head snapped up as her blue eyes met Draco’s colorless ones. The question caught her off-guard. “What do you mean?”

This time, it was Draco who looked away. “Luna, you’re not staying here forever.” She could hear the fierce determination in his voice, but was that also remorse she heard? “You and I both know that. When you leave,” Draco hesitated as if searching for the right words, “I’d like to know what….well, I’d like to know what you’re doing. You know, with life and all,” he mumbled.

“I’m not all that sure yet, Draco,” Luna admitted. This was something Luna had avoided thinking about. “Perhaps carry on with journalism. I do like writing, after all.”

“Ah.”

There was an awkward pause. Draco bent to pick at an overgrown weed, carefully focusing his attention on pulling out the offending plant.

“Draco,” Luna found herself blurting out before she could stop, “What if I want to stay?”

“Luna.” Draco’s voice was firm but pleading. “Your father went to Percy three days after you came here. You’ve been the target of a massive manhunt, larger in fact, than the squad after me, simply because you’re the ex-wife of the Minister’s only brother. You have to go back soon, if not for yourself then for me.” He reached for Luna’s hand. “Percy’s too powerful a person for us to cross “ even together,” he whispered.

Luna stiffened. “They’ll never find us here, Draco! It’s hidden, isn’t it? No one can find it, save the Secret-Keeper!”

Draco shook his head. “I don’t now how long he can keep it his own secret. Someone’s bound to point him out, and he’d talk.” He hesitated. “When I came here, I told him to offer no resistance in my capture. After he protested, I explained that I don’t want him to get hurt on my accord. He’s a loyal servant to my family, and loyalty shouldn’t be rewarded with death, as I’ve learned after all these years. I’ve instructed him to tell them my location should he be asked directly.”

Draco watched uneasily as Luna swayed on her feet. “I think we’re done, Luna. There’s nothing more to say. I’ve said all I needed to, and you’ve listened. After the article’s done, you’ll leave and continue your life as if I never intruded.” Numb, Luna barely felt Draco lead her back into the house.

*


Luna put down the quill and sighed. She stared at the finished article before her and frowned. An entire day of writing and this is the shit I come up with?

She skimmed the article again, reading the account she’d transcribed based on what Draco had told her. Everything was there before her, everything! How he had faltered that night in the tower. How Snape had killed the man Luna admired most. How they both Apparated to Spinner’s End. How Draco and Snape had argued, forcing Draco to come here and Snape to walk right into the trap at Grimmwauld’s Place.

Everything was here, every piece of information Draco had told her, all written matter-of-factly right in front of her. Yet, she felt something was missing.

Luna read on as the author of the article hinted pathetically at Draco’s innocence, his minor mistakes. She frowned, disgusted. The article wasn’t even worth finishing. Using the wand Draco had given back, she set the parchment ablaze, rubbed her face, and walked dejectedly downstairs.

When she reached the den, Draco bowed his head in greeting. “Luna.” Lately, Luna noticed, he’d gotten more distant, acting as he had when Luna first arrived. “How is the article coming along?”

“Good,” Luna replied nonchalantly as she settled down next to Draco on the couch.

“Truly?” Draco’s eyebrows rose in amusement. “So I suppose those ashes across your forehead is in preparation for some ritual you’re performing tonight?”

Luna scowled as she wiped it off with the back of her sleeve. Secretly, however, she was glad to see a hint of the Draco she’d gotten to know come out bit by bit. “It’s ghastly, as a matter of fact.” Luna made a face. “It’s missing something. It needs…power.”

Draco gestured for Luna’s wand she’d tucked behind her ears. After Luna handed it to him, he conjured two glasses of wine, plopped Luna’s wand in one, and gave it to her. “Well, that’s good since you’re the most powerful person I’ve ever met.”

“Even more powerful than Percy?” Luna watched Draco wince at the mention of Percy, a subject Luna and he had avoided over the past few days.

Draco mumbled something unintelligible as he swirled his wine in his glass. After a pregnant silence, he looked back at Luna. “I want to give you something, Luna. For your help. For all you’ve done. Tell me, what do you want more than ever?”

Luna hesitated and shook her head. “You don’t need to, Draco. This,” she waved a hand at her surroundings, “was enough.” You were enough.

Draco stared at Luna, his mouth open in surprise. “Luna, you’ve been here for three months, and that’s all you can say to me?”

Luna couldn’t help but giggle at his expression. “No, really, Draco. You’ve given me everything.” She closed her eyes and lay back on the couch.

She heard Draco’s low chuckle. “You’re silly, Luna. Absolutely silly.”

For the rest of the evening, they carried on in low tones about things Luna could hardly remember. Both of the downed a couple more glasses of wine. She felt herself drift into her dreams many times, but every time she heard Draco’s low voice, she forced herself awake. She continued this battle for consciousness until she felt Draco’s arms lift her off the couch.

“Draco?” She struggled to open her eyes as Draco carried her out the room.

“Hmm?” She could hear his heart thud against his chest.

“Ask me what I want more than anything.” She barely felt her lips move.

“All right.” Luna could hear the underlying laughter in his voice. “What do you want more than anything in the world?”

“I want to smile, Draco,” Luna sighed, half-asleep. “I want to smile, and I want the world to smile with me.”

“Oh really?”

“Mm-hmm.” Luna smiled dreamily. “These days, I feel like we’re the only happy people left on this planet. I want to spread joy all around.” She waved her arms around as she talked. Luna knew how silly she was acting, yet she was too tired to care.

She felt more than heard Draco’s chuckle. “Well, you give very good advice, I must say. That always brought a smile to my face. Why not write an advice column after you leave? Put all that good knowledge to use.”

“Yes, yes. I’ll do that Draco.” She let out a loud yawn before sluggishly opening one eye. “What about you? What do you want?” The long sentence immediately tired her, and she shut her eye again, letting out another huge yawn.

She felt Draco pause and his muscles tense. Suddenly, her backside met a soft, cozy surface; they had reached her bed. Immediately comforted by the warmth of the bed, Luna turned over and smacked her lips. She could faintly feel a hand stroke her hair and face slowly. A pair of taut, thin lips gently pressed themselves against hers. She could’ve sworn she heard a man’s voice whisper, “Love.”




End notes: This chapter follows as closely to canon as my knowledge of the Harry Potter universe as of July 22, 2006 allows. Any information revealed to be false by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will not be changed.

Reviews are graciously accepted and appreciated.
Found by Marauder by Midnight
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my beta sayiansirius for working hard on this chapter, and, as always, thanks to my inspiration Poultrygeist.
Hidden
Chapter 9 “ Found


A muffled blast woke Luna. Squinting, she sat up and rubbed her eyes.

“Open the door,” a voice growled just outside her door. A voice too familiar. “Open it!” The harsh sound of a blow hitting something soft and a groan of pain traveled to Luna’s ears.

Widely awake now, Luna slipped her legs out from under her covers and just as she began to dash towards the door, it blasted open. Luna shielded herself from the flying splinters of wood, and when the debris settled, she looked back up, knowing what “ no, who “ she would find.

“Luna!” Ronald Weasley stared at Luna with an incredulous expression, as if he couldn’t believe she was still alive. His left hand, adorned with a simple wedding band, was firmly holding Draco Malfoy, bound, gagged, and straight-backed, firmly. A large Auror stayed on Draco’s left side, one arm locked around his neck. Luna, frozen with shock, could do nothing but stare into Draco’s grey eyes that were clouded over with concern, apology, and “ was it hopelessness? She didn’t break eye contact, even when Ron rushed over to throw his arms around her, his excited exclamations falling on deaf ears.

Only when the Auror pulled Draco away from the room did Luna finally realize what had happened.

“…worried to death about you,” Ron was saying. He frowned at Luna’s lack of response. “Luna, are you all right?”

Luna turned her head slowly to look up at her gangly ex-husband. “How’d you find me?” Her expression was blank and impassive.

Ron grinned proudly, mistaking the glimmer in her eyes for awe. “The innkeeper down at the village took a while to tell us where to find you. But he realized who we were soon enough.” Ron looked at Luna, his eyes filled with concern. “You don’t know how worried I was when your father came to me.”

Luna couldn’t bear the emotions that flickered across Ron’s face. Looking away and pulling herself gently away from him, she replied, “I’m fine. Draco didn’t hurt me.” Her gaze seemed distant, as her mind wandered to the captive she had just seen.

“It’s a good thing he didn’t,” another voice, clipped with authority, chimed in. Percy Weasley strolled into the room, his smart shoes clicking against the marble floor and wooden splinters. “Otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to find a suitable punishment.”

Luna lost her detached expression, and her silver eyes flashed angrily. “What do you mean punishment? He didn’t do anything wrong!”

Percy gave Luna a wary glare. “On the contrary, Luna. Former Death Eater, assistant to the murder of Albus Dumbledore, failure to turn himself in, kidnapping of Luna Lovegood.” Percy bowed slightly in Luna’s direction. “The list goes on.”

“He didn’t do any of that! The evidence against him may seem otherwise, but he’s innocent. I know that for a fact.” Luna scrambled to find the words and heard herself say, “I came to him on my own accord.”

Beside her, Ron gasped. Percy’s stone-like face froze with horror.

“I did,” Luna continued, trying to stop her wild heart from beating so loudly. “I…I wanted to write a story about snarshlucks, and it just so happens that I knew Draco to own quite a few of them. So I came to him for the story.” As her expression became more pensive, she hoped they wouldn’t see through her lie.

“Oh Merlin.” Percy rubbed his face with a hand.

“Luna,” Ron started, a hint of disappointment evident in his voice. “You haven’t changed a bit.”

Luna stiffened, and her gaze slowly wandered into space. “Should I have?”

“Now you listen to me, Luna,” Percy snapped. He approached Luna aggressively, but Luna did not flinch. “I know the revenge you’re trying to exact on this family, but what you’re saying is treason. Not only might you be convicted in a hearing but you will also embarrass me, Ron, and yourself. Be careful what you say, Luna Lovegood. My sympathy for you only extends so far.”

Luna trembled slightly; she knew this was no empty threat. And yet, she retorted, “I will expose you for what you are: a man no better than Voldemort himself.”

Percy looked as if he wanted to slap her across her face. Face red and livid with anger, he said with deadly calm, “Do so, and your father will follow you soon after.” When Luna’s eyes widened with shock, Percy smirked. “He waited quite a while to report you missing. Wonder what the court will say about that.”

Luna stood stock-still as Percy swept off, his steps resolute and careful. As much as she needed to tell Draco’s story, she couldn’t risk her father’s life so carelessly. Draco wouldn’t have wanted her to either.

“Luna?” Luna automatically turned her head in answer. “I…I know you’re upset about…well, about what happened between us. I wasn’t thinking, Luna, and I want to apologize for hurting you so much. I just…I want you to know that even though…I’m sorry for what I’d done to you, for jumping to the conclusions that I did, things can’t go back to the way they were.”

Luna swiveled, looking at Ron disbelievingly. Ron squirmed uncomfortably. “I’m married to Susan Bones now “ you probably already knew “ and it’s a…successful marriage. It works for all of us. Percy, ‘specially.”

“I know that, Ron. I’m not asking anymore from you.” Luna noted Ron’s sigh of relief with disgust. “Ron, what will happen to Draco?”

Ron frowned and broke eye contact. “Well, I don’t know. I imagine Percy will want the names of other Death Eaters and where they were hiding. This home, Occultusum Malfoy, is the perfect place for them to gather, and the innkeeper didn’t offer up any names before he died so there’ll be information Percy wants to extract from Draco. After that, Draco may or may not go to trial for assisted murder and kidnapping.” Ron’s eyes flickered back to Luna’s to gauge her reaction. “If he’s found guilty, he’d be kept in Azkaban for the rest of his life like other Death Eaters or “ “ Ron hesitated.

“He might receive the Dementor’s Kiss if the “ Luna, where are you going?”

Luna had flown out the room as fast as her legs could carry her. Downstairs, she caught sight of the burly Auror she’d seen lead Draco away stand protectively in front of a small door. “Sir!” she shouted. “I need to speak with Malfoy!”

“Sorry, Miss Lovegood, strict orders.”

“Please, sir, I need to “ Draco!” Luna could not keep her pent-up emotions inside any longer. She tried to get past the Auror, but he never let her even touch the door. “Draco!” she kept screaming.

“What’s all this ruckus? Luna!” She struggled against the new set of hands that had grabbed her forearms. “Settle down!”

“Percy,” Luna gasped as she caught her breath, finally collecting herself. “I want to speak to Draco Malfoy. Please.”

“Mr Weasley,” a muffled voice spoke from the other side of the door. “Please. Perhaps she and I could work out a deal. You’re not going to get anything out of either of us otherwise.”

Percy stood up straighter. “Mr Malfoy, you are a war criminal. I will not have you brainwashing my sister-in “ my brother’s friend into doing your deeds or crying for your redemption.”

“I will do nothing of the sort, Mr Weasley; you have my word.”

Percy seemed conflicted. “I’m giving you fifteen minutes.” He looked sternly at Luna. “Everything is to be resolved in fifteen minutes.” He glanced cautiously at the door before lowering his voice to a whisper, “Luna, I want you to scream if he tries something.”

Luna stared back with cold fury. “I will, Mr Weasley,” she replied, her lips breaking into a smile that didn’t reach her eyes.

Percy nodded to the muscular Auror at the doorway. The Auror tapped the door twice with his fist. “Mr Malfoy, I want you to sit in your chair as I open the door,” he called through the door. After a pregnant pause, the Auror turned the doorknob and peeked into the room. Deeming it safe, he signaled for Luna to approach.

Luna knew what they were doing, the Auror and Percy, but she wouldn’t show weakness. Not this time. Humiliation would not bring her or Draco to kneel at his feet. Head held high, she stepped into the shadows of the room and listened to the door click shut.




End notes: I am pleased to say that this story was completed on July 18, 2007. This chapter was completed on July 16, 2007. Any information disproved by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has not and will not be incorporated into this story.

All reviews are graciously accepted and appreciated.
Far From Here by Marauder by Midnight
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my beta sayiansirius and my inspiration Poultrygeist.
Hidden
Chapter 10 “ Far From Here


An uncomfortable silence settled in the dark room. Luna could barely make out the outlines of the furniture she had come to recognize in Draco’s library. One particular chair was out of place, facing her instead of tucking neatly under the nearby table. She hesitated before taking one step toward it.

“Draco?” Luna called into the darkness, her voice wavering slightly. “I’m sorry.”

“ ‘Sorry’? Luna, you have nothing to apologize for.” Draco sounded so far away. “It’s my fault,” he muttered, “I shouldn’t have been so careless to keep you here so long. I should have insisted to finish the story, to get you out of here as soon as possible.” She heard him sigh tiredly.

“Well, as you used to say, it’s no use crying over “ what was it? Nargle bites?” Luna knew he was trying to cheer her up, but she couldn’t force a chuckle out of her; she knew it would only come out a strangled cry.

Luna inched toward Draco’s voice, step by step, two hands before her as she navigated the library blindly. “Draco, don’t blame yourself. I…I don’t regret our time together.”

As she spoke, Luna knew it was true. She had lived her life under the mantra ‘Do only the things you’ll never regret,’ as her mother taught her, and nothing, especially not her stay at Occultusum Malfoy, has yet to make her change her motto. She had changed utterly after Ron forced her to leave, left alienated from the only people she could call friends. She had thought she could live with that; besides, she had survived without them before she met them in her fourth year.

But then she made that fateful journey to the hellhole at the base of the mountain “ and met Draco, the man who’d thought she was perfect the way she was before. It had been so easy for her to slip into her regular self around him, and eventually, she’d come to appreciate the person she used to be: quirky, caring, dreaming Luna Lovegood.

Her lip quivered. It was unfair “ unfair that she had so much to gain from the months she’d stayed here, the story of a lifetime, insight into her own personality, and friendship, while Draco lost everything, his dignity, his home, his freedom.

He interrupted her thoughts as if knowing what was going through her mind. “Neither do I, Luna.” The despair in Draco’s voice hardened with conviction. “Neither do I.” Draco began whispering urgently, frantic in this race against time.

Luna listened with silent horror as Draco detailed what she must not do when she emerged from the library. She wanted so to scream at him; she’d accepted all of his gifts, but the one thing she could not allow him to do was die for her. Stop! she kept thinking, though she felt her traitorous head bob up and down in understanding. She clawed through her mind, desperate to find an alternative “ any would’ve been better than this one “ but she couldn’t.

“…tell them you had tried several times to escape but stopped when I threatened to kill your father,” Draco was saying now.

“No,” Luna said quickly. She might be able to stand by as Draco detailed what happened, but she would not partake in this actively. “I won’t say it.”

“Luna.” Draco sounded so desperate, imploring Luna to agree. “Luna, you know what will happen eventually, even if you refuse to point a blatant finger at me. We will be separated.” Luna could tell Draco was trying to hide his emotions. “And you’d make it so much easier on me if you’d listen.”

“I’ll listen, Draco, but I won’t obey.” Quietly, as if to herself, Luna cried, “I don’t want this to happen.”

Luna thought she felt his cold fingers brush lightly against her hair, but the breeze was fleeting, as if Draco changed his mind. “Luna, you’ll be all right, I promise.” It was a promise both of them knew was broken as it left his lips. “My sanctuary,” he whispered, “is yours should you ever need my company or just a place to unravel. You are always welcome here.” Luna heard a rustling of robes.

“I have something of yours I thought you might want back. Come closer, Luna.”

Shakily, Luna lifted her arm, palm up, to accept whatever it was Draco had. She jumped when she felt two soft hands hold back loose strands of hair. Something cold and solid pressed against her right ear. He could hear the smile in his voice as he tucked her wand behind her ear.

“A witch like you shouldn’t go long without her wand.”

Overwhelmed with her emotions, Luna opened her mouth to blurt out what she had been holding back since the night before when the door opened. Luna blinked as the harsh light intruded on the intense moment she shared with Draco.

“Your time is up,” came the cold voice of Percival Weasley. “Come, Luna.”

Luna bit her lip before reluctantly edging toward the door. Halfway there, she couldn’t help looking back. There he stood, tall with his back straight. Feet standing slightly apart and hands behind him, he looked more like a soldier than the soft caring man she had come to know. So alien and so distant, Luna couldn’t help but shudder. Yet when she glanced into his storm-grey eyes, she saw just a glimpse of the Draco Malfoy no one had taken the time to know. The Draco Malfoy no one will ever come to know. Not like she had.

“Draco,” she heard herself say, “could it have…?” She struggled to find the words, but she suddenly felt so tired and allowed her words to trail off.

And Draco’s eyes softened conspicuously. He understood “Yes. If we were far from here.”

Luna smiled; that was all she needed.




End notes: This chapter was completed July 16, 2007. Any information provided by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows were not intentionally incorporated into this chapter. Anything proven false by the seventh book will not be added into the story.

All reviews are graciously accepted and appreciated.
Epilogue - Hidden by Marauder by Midnight
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my beta sayiansirius and as always, my inspiration Poultrygeist.
Hidden
Epilogue “ Hidden

Hidden
by Luna Lovegood


Isn’t it ironic “ the day England rejoices during the Kiss of the most elusive Death Eater on Earth is the day my heart breaks. Draco Malfoy, son of the infamous Death Eater Lucius Malfoy, had been on the Ministry’s most wanted list for three years before being captured not a week ago. Just a day later, he appeared before the honored Wizengamot and was found guilty for assisting in the death of Albus Dumbledore, eluding capture, failing to turn himself in, and kidnapping me, Luna Lovegood, former sister-in-law to our beloved Percival Weasley, Minister of Magic.

From the moment he arrived at Azkaban, reporters from all over sought interviews with me, wanting every gruesome detail about my incarceration, the torture methods Malfoy had used, and how I fought back. At first, I refused to even entertain such ideas, but I had made a promise to a dear friend of mine to tell his story. I reluctantly decided to provide the exclusive interview to the only person I could trust with such a story of a lifetime “ myself.

What had begun as an innocent journalism trip became the most important thing to ever happen to me. A simple wrong question to the wrong person landed me in the hiding place of the most terrifying Death Eater in history. For obvious reasons, I will not name the man who brought me before Malfoy, though he has my eternal gratitude for what he knew was right.

Who would’ve thought it was so simple to find Malfoy? Why hadn’t better-trained Aurors done this? Or could he be so powerful as to vanquish any who came near the truth? These questions raced through my head when I arrived, but Malfoy had sought me “ not the other way around “ to make a request of me. I was surprised and immediately told him I would have none of it.

However, though Malfoy had said he’d changed, I knew he would not let me go until I had at least pretended to agree with whatever he had in mind. Now as I look back on that first confrontation, I can see a part of me, one I had tried so hard to suppress and change, react with curiosity to the words of this disheveled Malfoy. I secretly hoped he could satisfy my desire to know his story. It was then that a small part of me began to feel pity for the once proud Malfoy, whose arrogance had drastically declined.

He divulged to me certain parts of his personal history; things that even his closest school friends never knew. His father had imprinted upon his mind at a very early age that Muggle-borns, half-bloods, Muggles, and Muggle-lovers were to be hated with a passion. Lucius Malfoy had led his son to believe he was worthless until he killed.

It was in his mother, Narcissa Malfoy, that Malfoy found sanctuary. The woman had at first been convinced that Malfoy was not entirely hers but her husband’s object to mold into the perfect Death Eater. But as time passed, Malfoy found at last one person who cared for his well-being.

It was because of this motherly concern that Narcissa had approached the traitor Severus Snape with the plea to save her son after he had been assigned, by Lord Voldemort, the seemingly impossible task of murdering Headmaster Albus Dumbledore. On that fateful night, Draco Malfoy approached Dumbledore with the intention of killing him but could not. Snape, bound by an Unbreakable Vow, finished the deed, and whisked Malfoy off to his home at Spinners End.

That is where our talented Aurors lose the trail. Snape, as many of you readers know, was captured in his attempt to infiltrate Order headquarters, but Malfoy had not accompanied him. After escaping Hogwarts, Malfoy had shown weakness at seeing the death of his headmaster, and Snape, in disgusted rage, had broken Malfoy’s wand and sent him away.

For the next few days, unable to perform any magic, Malfoy walked across England to his home. He had encountered Ginerva Weasley, only sister of Minister Weasley, on this journey only days before her untimely death. This no one had known before, and after I asked him why he would want to reveal this now, he replied that the young Miss Weasley had been the first person he’d ever encountered to believe him trustworthy. This, Malfoy said, encouraged him and convinced him that the path he had chosen was the right one. Draco Malfoy wishes to convey his sorrow and well-wishes to Ginerva Weasley’s survivors for her death and for any heartache he may have caused them by revealing his secret rendezvous with her.

Draco Malfoy spent three years in a self-imposed imprisonment in the mountains of England, cut off from any human contact, save for a regular visit from his eyes and ears in the village not far away. He watched from his mountaintop as the world he had left broke apart. He had felt Lord Voldemort’s death when his Mark burned him so horribly that fateful night. He had read about his parents’ deaths in the papers and regretted letting them die without the knowledge that he was safe and sound. He had heard about his uncle Rodolphus’ ambitious intentions and had celebrated his freedom before reading about Rodolphus Black’s conviction and execution just days afterwards.

That was how I found him “ broken over his mother’s death, hurt by the world’s hatred toward him and his family, and frustrated that he was too cowardly to help change their views.

Most of us remember the Malfoys for their haughtiness, their pigheaded pride, and their lack of concern for others. But, I ask my readers to rid themselves of such prejudice before they read on and discover that hidden inside each Malfoy, particularly the condemned Draco Malfoy, is a raw human being who isn’t at all who he seems. (For those who do not wish to continue this article, ‘I Ate a Death Eater’ on page 54 may be better suited for you)

I found myself drawn to this man soon after I reluctantly began to converse with him. He had changed enormously. Though there were times when the bias drilled into his mind slipped out, he was genuinely charming and smiled easily. But more importantly, I saw him as my big story “ the greatest opening article a journalist could hope for. Not only that, I believed that it would finally win me the approval I desperately wanted from the world and, dare I dream, the husband I needed back in my life.

Those of you who had known me in school may not recognize me anymore from the way I look and sound. Most are happy with this change; certainly Ronald Weasley stopped bothering me about it. I, too, was satisfied with the way I am. No one gave me second glances on the streets. No one called me Loony Lovegood anymore. No one laughed at me when I walked by. Life was normal “ and boring.

I had my headline and outline complete. All I needed was the end to his tale. Yet, like Scheherazade, I cleverly put off his last lines, complaining of headaches or fatigue just minutes into a session, until I couldn’t any longer. I didn’t know why I feared his ending so much then. I attributed it to my hesitation to believe his goodness and his transformation, but I know better now.

I knew that when I finally finished, I would be sent back into the world I had been so abruptly snatched from, messenger for the man trapped inside his own home. I would leave the safe walls of the coveted home and into the society that had so scorned and forgotten me. More importantly, I would be away from the only person I felt comfortable being myself around.

He had convinced me that I was, quite frankly, a very boring person. Reluctantly, I had explained to him how hurt I had been after my very public divorce with the only man I ever thought I would love. Draco, who understood so well the inability of the public to see a man as multi-dimensional, reassured me that such an ordeal should not have affected me so much. His change had been for the better, he knew, but mine, he told me, was not.

At that moment, I fell in love with Malfoy, this former Death Eater, branded for eternity with the mark of the Dark Lord.

It takes great effort to pen that word “ love “ when its meaning had been lost to me just a year ago. I never told him how I felt, not during our last night together and not during our last meeting. I fear he will never know how much I love him, but I hope he goes with an inkling of my affections. I want him to know how grateful I am for everything he had given me: confidence to face the world, self-esteem that will never deflate, a home and place where I could unhide my emotions, a chance to redeem myself, his mortally wounded heart, and now, his soul.

But, dear readers, do not think he had forgotten you, for in facing the dementors, he has given an invaluable gift to you “ one we can all use in a time like this: trust. By extracting a promise from me to tell the world his story, he had ensured that those of us willing to would finally get the second chance to see not just the bad side of individuals but the good that may lay hidden behind the façade you want to see.

I have not been to Azkaban to see him, much to the relief of my ex-husband and former brother-in-law, nor will I attend the ceremony of the Kiss. Draco wanted so desperately for me to see and remember our best memories that I could not bear to break his heart so utterly before he gave his soul.

Such a great gift he has given us, one that will last longer than we will. And Draco had asked so simply for one thing in return: redemption. So I ask that instead of attending the world-wide celebration planned by the Ministry, stay home with your loved ones and together, find the forgiveness that has been too long hidden.




This story is finally complete. I can't express enough thanks for all the readers who followed me on this journey. Thanks to my various betas and for Poultrygeist for providing such a plot bunny.

Hidden had provided many subsequent plot bunnies that make up my Hidden series. Please feel free to read them; the stories related to this story are listed on my author's page.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=52956