Forgotten by Blue Bell
Summary: In the end, Lily ended up with James. We all know that. However, could Lily have previously been in love with someone before James? Perhaps, a certain Slytherin? What happens when he comes back, looking for closure, for permission to move on?
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1457 Read: 1581 Published: 06/19/06 Updated: 06/19/06

1. Forgotten by Blue Bell

Forgotten by Blue Bell
Disclaimer: I own nothing. Well, the characters may not be mine, but what I make them do is :)




Lily stepped outside her home in Godric’s Hollow, where she lived with her husband James Potter, and her son, Harry. It was a hot summer’s day, and the trees swayed slowly in the warm breeze. Barely any clouds hung in the sky as she set out on her journey. Walking along the road, she paid attention to the beauty of the season, the wonder of summer.

“Evans,” said a familiar voice from behind her.

Lily spun around and saw a man leaning against a lamppost.

“Actually, it’s Potter, now.”

“No, you’ll always be Evans to me.”

Lily stared sadly at the man.

“What do you want, Severus?”

Severus walked over to her and grasped her hands.

“You,” he said simply.

Lily pulled her hands back looked at him incredulously. “M-me?”

“Yes, you.” Severus looked her straight in the eye, and Lily turned away, feeling the blood rush to her head.

“No, Severus, we were in the past. We’re over.”

“You once told me that everyone deserved a second chance.”

“That was a long time ago.”

“Does it matter?”

Lily turned her back to him, so he wouldn’t see the tears leaking out of her eyes.

“I’m married. I have a child. Does that mean anything to you?”

“Does it to you?”

“Stop speaking in riddles,” Lily said, her words faltering.

“Life is a big riddle to you because you never got to solve the mystery; you never had the chance to fix the unfixable, to change the unchangeable, and such.”

“I-I can’t, Severus. I love him.”

“Yes, yes, don’t we all?” Severus sneered.

“Stop, Severus. You could never understand how I feel.”

“What, love? James is not the only one who ever loved you, Lily. He is not the only one who would die for you. I love you, Lily, why can’t you believe that?”

Lily shook her head sadly. “A man like you could never love. A man like you can only feel greed, selfishness, and a thirst to prove yourself.”

“When will you stop living by the books, Lily? When will you start living for yourself, and find out these things for yourself? When will you stop living by these ridiculous stereotypes?”

“Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason, Severus.”

Severus gaped at her in astonishment. “Are you saying that I lied to you? That I told you false emotions? I loved you, Lily, can’t you see that?”

“I thought I loved you, too, Severus, but the mind can often play tricks on us. I had never even had so much as a glimpse of what true love was until I met James.”

“Just tell me one thing.”

“What?”

“Do I still know you? Have you conformed so much that you are no longer the sweet, lovable girl I fell in love with?”

“I have changed, Severus. And I feel it is for the better.”

“You haven’t changed, Lily. You’ve conformed. You’ve become the norm, the average. You never were one of them, and it pains me to see that this is what you’ve become.” Severus shook his head sadly.

Lily turned her head sharply and glared at him. “If all you’re going to do is criticize me…”

“I am not criticizing, I am speaking the truth. Look at yourself, Lily. Look at what you’ve become. You used to always be able to see the good in people, why can’t you now?”

“Because there is no good in some people, Severus.”

These words struck Severus like a knife in the heart. Severus gaped at her, and felt the tears well up behind his eyes.

“Are you going to deny it?” Lily asked him.

Severus remained silent, not trusting his voice to speak without the tears falling down his face.

Lily smiled sadly at Severus.

“It’s for the best,” she said.

“Lily…,” He whispered, and a single tear ran down his face.

“Don’t. I’ve heard enough.” Her words were shaky, and Severus noticed that she had her own set of tears sliding down her cheeks.

“No, Lily…” Severus raised his hand to wipe the tears from her face, but Lily turned her head away.

“Severus, I can’t.”

“You once could.”

“That was long ago. The circumstances have changed.”

“In what ways, Lily? What has happened that is so drastic that two people can’t love one another.”

“I got-”

“Married,” he finished for her. “Trust me, I know. I’ve been thinking about it since your wedding day. Thinking of all my regrets. How could I have let you just walk away? Why didn’t I stop you?”

“It’s better that you didn’t, Severus.”

"How can you be so sure? How can you know what would have happened if we had been together. Together Forever. Till the end of time.”

Lily fingered her necklace. A gold chain, decorated with an elegant diamond, which hung down just below her collarbone.

“Together Forever. Till the end of time,” he had said, smiling, when he presented the necklace to her.

“Till death do us part,” she had responded. If only she had known then…

“You still have your necklace.”

“I’ve never taken it off,” Lily admitted.

“Why not?”

“Because...I-”

“Do you love me?” Severus interrupted

“I…what?”

Severus lifted her chin up with his fingers, so she was looking him straight in the eye.

“Lily Evans, do you love me?”

Lily hesitated. “I…can’t.”

“I know, I know, you’re married. We’ve heard it before.” Severus laughed sourly.

“Why are you putting me in this position?”

“Because I need the truth. Do you love me?” Severus repeated.

“Severus…”

“Kiss me, Lily.” Severus whispered, as he took a step closer to Lily.

“No, no, I…I…” Lily faltered, and took a step backwards, but Severus took another step towards her.

“We both need that sense of closure, Lily. Yes, you do too. I don’t want to spend every waking minute of my life thinking of you anymore, if it isn’t going to be.”

“I…”

Severus smirked. “Not so sure of yourself now, are you?”

“Please, Severus…”

“Kiss me.” He took another step forward.

“Severus, no…” Lily took another step back.

“Just one kiss, Lily, and I will be out of your life forever.”

“No…” She tried to take another step back, but found herself trapped by the fence of one of the street’s inhabitants.

“I know you want to. I can see it in your eyes.”

“N-no, I-I don’t,” Lily stammered.

“You’ve never been good at hiding your feelings, Lily. Especially from me.” Severus took another step forward, and Lily pushed herself harder against the fence, hoping to get away from him.

“Just do this one last thing for me, Lily, and then you can go back to living your perfect life, with your perfect family. Just one kiss, for me, Lily.” Severus took another step forward, so he was standing directly in front of her.

Lily opened her mouth to speak, but closed it quickly.

“I love you...” Severus said as he brought his face closer to hers and pressed his lips against her own. Lily hesitated, but her emotions soon took over and she responded. They both kissed the other with all the passion they had left behind, all of the love they had forgotten, and all the feelings they had stowed away, never expecting to unleash them once again.

Slowly, Severus pulled away and smiled at Lily’s confused look.

“Do you love me, Lily Evans?”

“Potter…” she corrected.

They looked up at the sky as small raindrops began to fall. They then looked back at each other, their faces damp with raindrops and tears.

Severus brought his hand up and pushed her hair behind her hair, leaving his hand lingering on her cheek.

Lily had never felt so lost. She was married to a wonderful man, and had a beautiful baby boy with him, and yet she couldn’t help but have a soft spot reserved for Severus, her love, her first true love.

Severus pulled his hand away. He turned slowly and started walking down the street.

When Severus was out of Lily’s range of hearing, he turned around.

“I will always love you, Lily.” He whispered, sadly, longingly, pitifully, to nothing but the rain, as Lily started walking back towards her house.

And with that, another page turned, and another story began.





A/N: Well, there's a nice little one-shot for you guys! Leave me a review and tell me what you think!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=52973