All Grown Up by Khrys
Summary: Off shoot of Harry Potter, The Boy Who Lived. Fred and George show off their shop to two very embarassed witches.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2027 Read: 1566 Published: 06/20/06 Updated: 06/20/06

1. All Grown Up by Khrys

All Grown Up by Khrys
Author's Notes:
Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.
Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes
New Location
Grand Opening
Coming Soon


“Do you reckon we should say something else?” George asked.

“What else is there to say?” Fred countered.

“What about when? Or where? Or what will happened to Zonko’s once we take over.” I hope no one will be upset about Zonko’s.

“We should keep this under wraps for a bit longer,” Fred commented. “Don’t you think?” I don’t want anyone to be upset about Zonko’s either.

“What we should do is wait until we know that Hogwarts will be opening again next term.” George shuddered at the thought of their client base evaporating before their eyes.

Fred nodded in agreement. He used his wand to magic the sign to the display window, affixing it with a temporary version of the permanent sticking charm.

George and Fred had spent many hours trying to devise a sticking charm that only they could remove. It had been born out of necessity after vandals had stolen three of their U-No-Poo banners.

Fred was big enough to admit that George had come up with the brilliant idea and done most of the work to make it feasible. He was definitely the stronger twin when it came to charms. He was, however, much stronger at potions. Many of their potions, including the potions that made the Canary Creams work properly were his doing.

“I’m going to start on the to-do list,” Fred decided. “I’ll need some help with some of these charms.”

“Right after lunch,” George bargained. “I’ve got a date.”

“Katie’s coming by?” Fred asked casually. “Is Angelina going to be there?”

“Yes, Angelina will be there.” George answered the unasked question in his twin’s eyes. “Care to join us?” “I know you like her.”

“I would love to,” Fred gushed. “Simply spiffing of you invite me along.”

“Absolutely corking,” George agreed. “Let’s go.”

They left Verity, their very capable assistant, to tend to the shop, closing the doors behind them as they walked out onto the busy cobblestone walkway of Diagon Alley.

Fred saw Angelina before George saw Katie. He blushed and hung back as his brother hugged his girlfriend enthusiastically.

“Hi, Angelina,” Fred said as he motioned to the empty chair beside her. “Mind if I join you?”

“Nope,” Angelina replied, intrigued that Fred had accompanied his brother. “Are you meeting someone?”

“Just you,” Fred replied, blushing even deeper. I shouldn’t have said that.

“That’s interesting,” Angelina reasoned, “because I haven’t heard from you since you left Hogwarts.” Where does he get the nerve to chat me up after a whole year of nothing?

“We’ve been really busy,” George interrupted, trying to save his brother from the tongue-lashing he was about to experience. “You know, the store doesn’t run itself.”

“Really,” Angelina mused. “That’s funny. If you two are here, who’s running the store right now?”

“Verity,” Fred responded without thinking. “She always watches the store when we have to go places.” We never go anywhere just for fun. It’s always all about work.

“I see,” Angelina said slowly. “So you…” You have more important things to do that write to me.

“Angelina,” Katie admonished. “Let them eat lunch in peace. I saw George’s to-do list last night. They really do have loads on their plate right now.” They are acting like an old married couple.

“Fine,” Angelina huffed. “I’ll give him a break, if he’ll let me go back to the shop with him after lunch. I want to see some of their new inventions.”

“Certainly,” Fred offered graciously, while George stared at him mutinously.

“Don’t you think we’ll be busy working?” he mentioned.

“I won’t get in the way,” Angelina promised. “I promise.”

“Fine,” George spat. “Only if Katie comes too, to keep you out of trouble. The last thing we need in the workshop is another explosion. We’ll lose our lease.” We really don’t need them wandering around in the shop, touching experimental products that could lead to a really bad situation.

Lunch turned out to be a pleasant experience. Fred and Angelina, not quite relaxed, continued their friendship where they had left off. George and Katie spend lunch making lovey-dovey eyes at each other and holding hands underneath the table.

Once they had finished eating and George and Fred had paid for the meal, they all blended back into the crowd. Verity was just finishing a sale when they returned. George and Fred sent the girls to the workshop while they stopped to check on the afternoon’s events.

“Everything going well?” Fred asked.

“Yes, Sir,” Verity chimed. “How was lunch?”

“Lunch was excellent. The food was superb,” George replied. “So were the ladies.”

“We’ll be in the back with the ladies,” Fred began but trailed off quickly when he realized just how that sounded. I mean, we’ll be working and they’ll be watching us work.

“We are working on some new products and they have generously offered to help,” George interjected, saving Fred yet again.

“See you later, Sirs,” Verity chuckled. Nothing good can come of this. I don’t want to be around when something explodes.

When George and Fred entered their workshop, it was obvious that the girls had been testing some of their new products. Angelina and Katie were sitting nonchalantly in two comfortable chairs they had conjured near the worktable. They were doing their best to look as innocent as possible.

Little did they know they each had a large flashing banner levitating over their head. Katie’s banner was a delicate shade of lilac and was emblazoned with the words ‘Mrs. George Weasley’. Angelina’s banner was a soft shade of periwinkle and was imprinted with the words ‘Mrs. Fred Weasley’.

Fred felt his heart skip a beat when he noticed what the banners said. George, keeping with true George tradition, merely doubled over with laughter.

“Did you guys use any of the things on the table?” Fred asked, trying to maintain a straight face.

“No,” Katie said indignantly.

“Nothing at all?” Fred tried again.

“No.” It was Angelina’s turn to answer this time.

“Let me get this straight,” Fred began evenly. “Both of you are telling me that you did not pick up this blueberry colored quill and write something on this blueberry colored parchment.”

Katie said, “Why would you think we had?” at the same time that Angelina said, “Nothing happened.”

George could no longer contain his laughter. He was on the floor, rolling around, laughing so hard he was snorting.

“I know that you picked up the quill. I know that you wrote on the matching parchment. I even know what you wrote.” Fred pulled his wand and prepared to show them their banners when George finally managed to pull himself off the floor.

“Wait,” he managed in between guffaws. “Let me.”

“After you, dear bother,” Fred offered gallantly.

George, succeeding in remaining upright with the assistance of his brother’s shoulder, pulled out his wand. He pointed his wand directly at Katie’s face, in the most non-threatening manner he could achieve.

“Aperio Oculatus,” he cried, beginning to laugh boisterously once more.

Fred cringed as he heard Angelina’s gasp of surprise and embarrassment. “Does that mean that I…” she mumbled. She couldn’t finish her sentence. She was too mortified and self-conscious about what her own sign said.

Katie, who still could not see anything out of the ordinary, just looked at Angelina in confusion.

Fred took pity on her, since her secret had been revealed without her knowledge and pulled his own wand.

“Aperio Oculatus,” he mumbled.

Suddenly George stopped laughing. Katie had taken one look at Angelina’s banner and come to the conclusion that everyone could see hers too. She has passed out, falling with a sickening thud to the cold, hard, floor of the workshop.

Angelina moved to her side quickly, and dropped down into a sitting position. She cradled Katie’s head in her lap, keeping it off the concrete. She used one hand to pull her wand and revive Katie, and the other to make a rude gesture at the twins.

“How could you leave something like that laying around? Surely you don’t intend to sell those things, do you?” She was fired up, fuming at her own stupidity. How could I have picked something up in their workshop. I should have known what the consequences would be. After all the stunts they pulled at Hogwarts, I should have known better.

Katie rubbed the back of her head, massaging the spot that had hit the concrete. George hung his head. Fred just stood, rooted to the same spot, refusing to look at either witch. Finally, George attempted to rectify the situation.

“They’re Broadcast Quills,” he explained. “They aren’t ready for sale yet.”

“There are still some kinks that need to be worked out,” Fred added quietly.

“Why couldn’t I see Angelina’s banner?” Katie complained.

“You touched the same quill.” George paused briefly before launching into an explanation. “The charm that we are currently using…”

“Which we’re going to have to scrap,” Fred interrupted.

“The charm works on everyone who touches the quill. Since both of you touched the quill, both of you were subject to the effects of the charm.” George stopped, hesitating for fear of upsetting his girlfriend any further.

“The charm hides the banner from the person using the quill. It’s designed to be used to embarrass your friends,” Fred jumped in, trying to help George out for once.

“The problem is, that everyone who touches the quill is blocked from seeing the banner.” George tried to reach for Katie’s hand, but she was too far away. His arms were not long enough to grasp her hand while she was sitting on the floor, so he crouched down next to her.

“It’s not very funny if you give the quill to someone and you can’t see what they wrote,” Fred complained. “That’s why were still working on the charm.”

Once they understood that the twins were not going to make fun of them for the words that had been written on their banners, Katie and Angelina started to lighten up. They took an objective look at the quills and parchment and saw the inherent humor in the product.

“This will fly off the shelves,” Katie commented. “Good job.”

“I might be able to help you with that charm,” Angelina offered.

“Really?” Fred asked. “We’re having a devil of a time with it. George’s the charm genius, and he can’t figure it out. I’m rubbish at charms, my specialties are potions.” He stopped when he saw the look on Angelina’s face. I didn’t think I was that bad.

“I have an idea,” Angelina remarked, her eyes focused on the quill. She pulled her wand, concentrating on her charms skills, and spoke determinedly.

“Dominus Obmolior,” she uttered tentatively. The quill glowed briefly before returning to normal. “Try it.”

Fred picked up the quill and handed it to George, who wrote something on the parchment.

Katie, Angelina, and Fred all burst out in laughter when they saw the banner appear over George’s head.

The banner read, ‘I must not act like a baboon’. The words were messily scrawled in shining rose colored ink. The banner itself was a sickening salmon color. The two shades of pink clashed horribly. The overall effect was hysterical, and even though George couldn’t see it, he joined in the merriment.

Fred finally thought to perform the charm to restore George’s vision. “Aperio Oculatus,” he chortled.

George, seeing the banner for the first time, smiled broadly and pointed at the banner over his head. “Words of advice to live by, I guess.”

Fred took the opportunity to kiss Angelina. He brushed his lips against hers gently but quickly. When he pulled his head back, he saw George kissing Katie. Great minds.


This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=53051