Journeying with Albus by joanna
Summary: Accompany Cassandra West on the journey of her life. See how an uneventful ship voyage turns into danger, love and magic.



Written for the May Monthly Challenge One: Pilgrimage where this fic was runner-up in its category!

Slightly AU.
Categories: Historical Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3098 Read: 1457 Published: 06/21/06 Updated: 06/21/06

1. Journeying with Albus by joanna

Journeying with Albus by joanna
Journeying with Albus


Journeys end in lovers meeting...
~Shakespeare



23 April, 1851
Liverpool, Albert Dock


The port was busy with harassed-looking ship’s agents, ragged seamen and strolling spectators. The Albert Dock of Liverpool was indeed a remarkable place to be. For the first time in the history of ports, a dock was created without using wood for the structure, which was solely made of cast iron, brick and stone. This was Britain’s most modern harbour at the time, but the people working there didn’t waste too much time thinking about that.

A haggard-looking sailor stepped out of a pub. Making his way through the crowd, he pushed the people aside, mumbling something incomprehensible about bloody onlookers. While he continued on his way, a ship blew its horn. A small pilot arrived at the side of a two-masted schooner to guide the foreign ship through the unfamiliar waters. Soon after weighing anchor, the ship left the port. The crowd thinned in this area of the dock, and the sailor quickened his steps. He knew he was going to be late.

Arriving at the Slurping Seagull, he took a look around. It seemed like the people never noticed that there was an inn between the pub at the right and the chandler’s shop at the left. Their eyes slid from one side to the other, never quite looking at the tavern. Paul Yaxley suppressed a smile at the thought that crossed his mind. Yes, Muggles were ignorant. He stepped into the Seagull and waved to the brawny innkeeper. It smelled of stew and it made his mouth water. His stomach rumbled, but that didn’t surprise him, he was always hungry.

He took two steps at a time and after arriving upstairs, he knocked at the door. The door opened by itself, and he stepped inside. It was a little room, but compared to every other inn he visited, it was clean. A young boy of around ten sat on a stool in front of the tiny window and was reading a book, while a young woman was packing things in a trunk.

“Good morning, Paul!” She smiled at the entering seaman. “How did it go?”

“No problems, your uncle put the charm on him and he didn’t object to enlisting me anymore,” he said, chuckling as he remembered the expression of the captain, when Henry West placed a Befuddlement Charm on him.

“Could you get someone to carry our trunks to the ship, Paul?” the young woman asked him.

“I will have to carry it, Miss West,” he said. “And you should call me Yaxley,” he warned her.

“Is that really necessary?” Cassandra West asked him and after seeing Paul’s nod, rolled her eyes. Then she turned to the young boy. “Albus, we have to put away that book. We will have lunch here, take a walk around the dock and then come on board, is that alright?” She turned again to Paul.

“I will tell the captain, Miss West,” Paul Yaxley answered, and after Cassandra packed away the book, he picked up the two trunks and left.

“Why is he working here?” Albus asked her then, buttoning his jacket.

“He is a Squib, Albus, he has to work somewhere, and I think he loves the sea,” Cassandra replied with a smile.

“Couldn’t he work in Diagon Alley?” Albus asked curiously.

“Would you like to work there as a Squib? It’s full with magic, and he would be constantly reminded that he is not a wizard,” she said, smoothing back his hair. “Come on, I’m hungry.”

25 April, 1851
Land’s End, aboard the Grecian Queen


The fog was impenetrable for human eyes and the sun was a feeble companion that morning. Only the occasional creaks of the hull broke the eerie silence. There were no guests on deck, with the exception of a ten-year-old boy. Albus watched the waves splashing to the side of the brig and hoped to get a last glimpse at terra firma. He was thinking about magical means that could make a ship sail faster, when someone stepped next to him.

“I would suggest going to your cabin, my boy,” a gentle voice told him. “You will catch a cold here.”

Albus looked up and saw the first mate of the ship. He was a tall, black-haired man with a twinkle in his greyish-blue eyes. His uniform was impeccable and his boots were almost shining. Albus was already acquainted with him, having spent much of the day before deep in conversation with him about seabirds.

“Have you ever been to far away lands, Mr. Trelawney?” he asked.

“Once I was sent to the Cape of Good Hope where the Atlantic meets the Indian Ocean,” the young man replied and smiled down at him. “And have you ever been away from England?”

“No, this is my first trip,” the young boy answered. “How fast is this ship?”

“It has an average speed of 8.5 knots when the wind is kind to us,” Myghal Trelawney said with a wink. “And why are you going to Greece?”

“We are visiting an old lady. My mother and Cassandra’s mother were very close to her, and she wished to see us,” Albus explained. “She is living in Delphi. Have you ever been there, Mr. Trelawney?”

“No, only to Itea,” Mr. Trelawney chuckled. “That is the port of Delphi, like Piraeus is the port of Athens,” he added then when he saw the puzzlement on Albus’ face.

“Greek towns have their own port cities?” the boy asked then, and after the first mate’s nod he nodded too. “I see. I have to tell this to Cassandra,” he said and dashed away.

“I think she already knows,” Myghal Trelawney said to no one in particular, because Albus was already at the stairs leading to the cabins.


2 May, 1851
50 miles off the Spanish coast, aboard the Grecian Queen


Dearest Mother,

I hope you are well. I’m writing to you as promised, although I don’t have much to write about. The journey is as uneventful as father told me; there is nothing extraordinary about travelling by ship. I wish we could have taken a Flying Carpet”I still don’t know why you forbade us to do so. You had a premonition, didn’t you? But you usually share your premonitions with me, and I don’t know why I am speaking to this parchment.

Well, at least Albus is enjoying himself. He found someone who answers all his questions. His name is Myghal Trelawney. He is the first mate of the Grecian Queen, and quite young for someone in this position. At least that’s what Paul told me. Paul makes me call him Yaxley. I know this sounds very childish, but, Mother, I don’t want to call him Yaxley! It’s so derogatory!

I wish you could be here with me, but I understand that you want to be with Mrs. Dumbledore. I hope everything goes well with the baby. I asked Albus what he thought about having a little brother or sister and he said he didn’t know what to think. He is an honest little chap. His questions drive me crazy, but I have a feeling that we will see great things from him. I try to avoid touching his hand when I’m upset or tired; I don’t want to see his future. I touched Paul’s for a brief moment; it was a blurry image, but I was still able to see that he was drowning. I didn’t tell him this, of course, and I think he would only laugh about it and say something droll about dying in his beloved sea. You should see him, Mother! He almost seems emaciated; and that sadness in his eyes! Do you think you could invite him to stay with us for a month? We could cocker him up a bit.

Greetings to Father and Laodice.

Your loving daughter,
Cassandra


5 May, 1851
Porto-Vecchio, Corsica


Cassandra stepped onto the deck and looked around searchingly. For a brief moment she was distracted by the cerulean blue of the sky and the spicy smell of the sea, but then determination flickered across her face and she ventured on to look for her young charge.

“Can I help you, Miss West?” Myghal Trelawney approached Cassandra.

“I’m looking for Albus, Mr. Trelawney.” Cassandra turned back to see the first mate of the Grecian Queen. She noticed too that his appearance was impeccable and somehow found this a little bit reassuring. As if he was order itself in this world of chaos. Oh, Cassandra knew that the ship was operating precisely, everyone having a special task to fulfil, but still it seemed very strange to her. She kept to her cabin, because she felt she was out of place on the brig. Albus, on the other hand, was everywhere where there was something new to learn, something interesting to watch, or something intriguing to ask.

“He went ashore with Yaxley,” the young man informed him.

“Without asking me,” Cassandra murmured and earned a laugh from Myghal.

“Captain Gibbs and Boatswain Saunders are there. Your nephew is in good hands, believe me, Miss West,” he reassured her in his gentle voice.

“Where are we?” Cassandra asked, looking at the shore in the distance. She noticed that the harbour must have been the port of an island. There was a hill in the distance with a bastion atop of it, and palm trees lined the white-sand beach.

“Porto-Vecchio, Corsica. The captain wanted to draw provisions and salt here,” he answered matter-of-factly.

Cassandra wanted to leave him and return to her cabin, but then made up her mind not to. She stopped in the middle of her tracks and turned back to Myghal Trelawney.

“Did he tell you that he is my nephew?” she asked, her voice surprised. She wasn’t even related to Albus.

“No, actually we never talked about your relationship. I only assumed that he is. I mean, that he is related to you,” he added then, looking embarrassed.

“No, we aren’t related, Mr. Trelawney. Our mothers are childhood friends,” she said with a smile that seemed to reassure the young officer.

“And this woman you are going to visit….” Myghal wanted to know.

“She was their mentor, their teacher,” she explained. “Did he talk to you about her?”

“A little bit. He said that she had wanted to see you,” he added then, looking expectantly at Cassandra.

“Well, it’s a long story. She wanted to see our mothers, but Albus’ mother is in the family way and my mother wanted to stay with her. Albus’ father thought that it would be a beneficial experience for his son to accompany me to Mother Themis,” she explained, feeling embarrassment because she didn’t know why she was explaining that to a stranger. Maybe it’s his eyes. They are so kind, she thought afterwards.

“Was your mother raised in Greece?” Myghal asked, but then revoked his question, seeing Cassandra’s expression. “Forgive me, please, I didn’t mean to sound importunate. I should get back to the bridge. If I can be of any assistance, please, don’t hesitate to ask me,” he said and then hurried away.

Cassandra looked after him with an amused smile playing on her lips. He didn’t sound importunate. No, he was actually very kind, she mused.

7 May, 1851
30 miles off the coast of Sicily, aboard the Grecian Queen


Dearest Mother,

I’m writing you again, because this time there is something to write about. Where to begin? Oh, yes. Don’t read the letter out for Mrs. Dumbledore!

Well, Albus went ashore with Paul and Captain Gibbs at Porto-Vecchio, Corsica. When they returned I couldn’t see Albus and Paul anywhere, and on my query where they were, the captain told me the most ridiculous story I have ever heard.

Apparently they got lost in the port and the captain sent two of his men to look for them, but they couldn’t find Albus and Paul anywhere. So the Captain and his men returned to the ship. And they wanted to weigh anchor, Mother! I insisted on sending another search party after the two of them, but Captain Gibbs said the cargo had priority. I implored and begged and even cried, but to no avail. I asked him to let me ashore but he said I couldn’t row the boat alone and every seaman on board was indispensable. Mr. Trelawney appeared and said that he was. I mean indispensable, and that the captain should let him go with me. You should have seen Mr. Trelawney, Mother! His tone and attitude wasn’t menacing, but the captain cowered at his words. He let down another boat and Mr. Trelawney promised me that he would bring back Albus and Paul.

And he did, Mother. They were in a terrible state, but they are well enough now. I keep them in Albus’ cabin though, because it would be suspicious if someone saw them without the bruises. They don’t remember what happened to them, but I’m convinced that this captain had his hands in it. I’ll be relieved if we ever get off his ship.

I had announced my first prophecy yesterday, or so they say. I mean Albus and Paul. I was so upset that I forgot not to touch Albus’ hand. He memorised my words, and that is good because I’m not able to remember them. I don’t even remember that I made a prophecy. Is that very unusual? We never talked about prophecies, and you said you thought I would be a Seer without them. Well, I shall talk about this with Mother Themis. I’m sure she can explain it to me.

Don’t worry about us, I think we are safe now, and don’t forget that I’m a witch. And I shall not let Albus out of sight again, he is too curious for his own sake. My next letter will be from Delphi.

Greetings to Father and Laodice.

Your loving daughter,
Cassandra


11 May, 1851
Itea, Greece


“Miss West, I’m deeply sorry that your journey was disturbed by that unfortunate accident,” Myghal Trelawney said when Cassandra and Albus appeared on deck to debark the ship.

“It wasn’t an accident, and you know that, Mr. Trelawney,” Cassandra said coolly, but then realized that the young man wasn’t responsible for the incident. “I’m sorry, you had nothing to do with it; in fact you were the only one willing to help us. For which I will be forever grateful,” she said with a smile, and then threw a look at the bridge where the captain’s silhouette was clearly visible. “And I think it is not you who should be apologizing.”

“I handed in my resignation today,” Myghal announced. “I shall be looking for a new ship.”

“You could accompany us to Mother Themis,” Albus suggested, joining in their conversation.

There was a moment of silence and then both, Cassandra and Myghal, laughed out loud, abashed.

“I’m sure Mr. Trelawney has more important things to attend to than accompany us, Albus,” Cassandra said, finally regaining her composure.

“Well, not exactly,” Myghal said solemnly, catching Cassandra’s eyes. “I would like to meet you again, Cassandra,” he whispered and took hold of her hand.

Cassandra gave a start and jerked her hand away. Myghal looked at her, perplexed, but noticed immediately that something wasn’t right. Her eyes became hazy, her irises turned white and her shoulders slackened. Myghal caught her before she fell.

“What happened?” Paul asked when he arrived with the two trunks.

“A vision,” Albus murmured to him in a whisper. “She touched his hand.”

“You cannot tell me that she is unconscious because she touched my hand!” Apparently, Myghal caught his last words.

“I’m alright,” Cassandra said, her irises regaining their natural hue. “Paul, Mr. Trelawney is accompanying us to Mother Themis,” she announced with a mysterious smile. The image of her vision was so vivid that she actually had to touch her head. She still felt the orange-blossom wreath attached to her forehead.

15 May, 1851
Sacred Way, Delphi, Greece


Cypresses and olive trees lined the marble steps that led to the once magnificent temple of Apollo. In the shadows of the Rock of the Sybil, two figures sat, bending over a parchment.

“How should I tell her in a letter that I married without her consent?” the young woman asked her betrothed.

“Would you like to tell her in person when we return to England, dearest?” the young man asked with a wink. “Or keep it secret until her first grandchild arrives?” he joked, enjoying making her blush.

“Don’t be silly,” Cassandra reprimanded him, hitting him playfully with her quill.

“Just go for the truth, dearest,” Myghal suggested, “it’s always the best way.”

Dearest Mother,

I’m writing you, sitting here at the Rock of the Sybil. We arrived at Delphi safe and sound. This corner of the world is called the navel of the world and I think those old Greeks knew something. When we arrived here the landscape took my breath away!

Mother Themis was glad to see us. She said she wanted to see her Pythia and her Sybill, but she soon hugged us fiercely as if we were her long lost children. She is spoiling Albus with all her baklava and kataifi, and she is answering all his questions about magic. I am really grateful for this journey, Mother and I think that Albus will tell you and Mrs. Dumbledore the same.

I think you remember Mr. Trelawney from my previous letters. He resigned his post on the Grecian Queen and Albus asked him to accompany us to Delphi. He is sitting here with me. I mean Myghal. And now I think I know why you didn’t want us to take a Flying Carpet. You didn’t have a premonition, but you foresaw the meeting of me and Myghal. So the following news won’t surprise you anymore. I’m married to Myghal. Mother Themis was our Bonder and I think she will write to you soon too.

Greetings to Father and Laodice.

Your loving daughter,
Cassandra Trelawney




Many thanks to my wonderful Betas, Katja and Sarah!

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=53092