Timid Kisses by Khrys
Summary: Off shoot of Harry Potter, The Boy Who Lived. Neville and Luna's first kiss under the Magnolia tree at the wedding.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2219 Read: 1504 Published: 06/21/06 Updated: 06/21/06

1. Timid Kisses by Khrys

Timid Kisses by Khrys
Author's Notes:
Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.
Luna held Neville’s hand discreetly as they watched Harry and Ginny recite their vows.

“How did Harry come up with those vows?” Neville whispered once the vows were finished. “They fit him and Ginny so perfectly.” I’ve never been able to express how I feel very well. I always choke and my words come out all jumbled. Even when I feel like that.

“I think he feels them in his heart,” Luna offered. “I know that Ginny wrote hers in a matter of minutes. She just sat down to write them, and they came tumbling out, flowing right from her heart.” Someday I want someone to feel that way about me.

“Oh,” Neville choked. “I can’t imagine feeling that way.” I think I might feel that way about you.

“You’ve never felt that way?” Luna asked cautiously. You don’t feel anything for me, do you?

“Uh, I don’t think so.” Neville answered timidly. Maybe, I think I might.

“Really?” Luna asked interestedly. Really. Maybe he does feel something for me. I haven’t seen him with anyone else. We did spend all that time together in the garden.

“Well, maybe. Have you?” he asked accusingly. Uh oh. Does she feel that way about me? I hope so. Otherwise, I am going to feel really stupid.

“Yes,” Luna said simply. I have. I feel that way about you.

“Really?” Neville asked interestedly, his tone mimicking Luna’s. Is it me?

“Yes,” Luna repeated. It’s you.

“With who?” Neville demanded. Please, let it be me.

“You,” she admitted freely. It’s only you. It has been since that first night in the garden.

“Me?” Neville choked. “Why me?” Really! I have no idea why you would pick me, but I am so glad that you did!

“I can’t explain why,” Luna responded knowingly. “I just know that the time we spent in the garden was the best time of my life. I’ve never been comfortable with anyone like I am with you. You make me happy.” I am in love with you.

Neville stared at her, flabbergasted that she had managed to portray his thoughts accurately. He started to respond, but was cut off when the Ministry Official announced Harry and Ginny and Mr. and Mrs. Potter. A round of applause broke out among the guests and Neville and Luna joined in.

“Should we congratulate the happy couple?” Neville debated. “Or should we find someplace quiet where we can be a happy couple?” I can think of a few places that I would like to go with you.

We’re a happy couple? Luna socked him on the arm gently and held his hand more tightly. “I think we are required to congratulate the happy couple,” she joked. “Or we might be sent to Azkaban by the stressed out Mother of the Bride.” Then we can head off and be a happy couple together.

Neville steered her towards the crowd of people gathered around Harry and Ginny. He was careful to release her hand before they were too close to Ron and Hermione. He did, however, keep his hand on her elbow as he guided her through the crowd. He stood behind her protectively as she waited for Harry and Ginny to notice them. Ginny saw them and they quickly ran, as quickly as one can run barefoot in a formal dress, to greet them.

“I am so glad you are here,” Ginny announced loudly. “Things have been moving so quickly. I’m afraid to turn around and see what happens next. Plus, I’m still worried about what Fred and George are up to.”

Harry just smiled at her and held her closely. “I’m glad you’re here too,” he admitted. “You guys are a calming influence in the surrounding madness.”

That’s odd, usually I’m the maddening influence in people’s lives, Luna quipped to herself.

Neville and Luna both opened their mouths to speak at the same time. “Congratulations.” Luna broke out in giggles, which proved to be contagious. Harry, Neville, and Ginny started to laugh with her.

Their party was broken up shortly by Professor McGonagall who insisted that she needed to congratulate the newlyweds. Neville and Luna wandered around, enjoying the pleasantness of the afternoon. Professor Sprout stopped to talk to Neville and Luna, thanking them for taking care of the Greenhouses.

“I especially want to thank you for taking such good care of my garden,” Professor Sprout gushed. “I’ve never seen anyone pay such attention to detail. You must have spent all your free time working with the plants. I’m impressed, Mr. Longbottom. If you are ever looking for an Assistant Professor position, please come see me.”

She saw Professor Moody in the distance and took her leave. She traipsed away, trying to catch up with his limping gait.

“Is she kidding,” Neville wondered. Me? An Assistant Professor? Never in a million years would I have thought…

“I don’t think so,” Luna remarked. “She looked pretty serious.” Way to go, Neville.

Professor Lupin arrived to say hello and lingered, talking with Neville and Luna about their stay at Neville’s house. Tonks had happened across them and stopped to say hello. Not having heard the previous conversation, Tonks also asked how their stay at Neville’s house.

She looked confused when Neville, Luna, and Remus laughed warmly. “What did I miss?” she asked, looking mildly hurt.

“Professor Lupin just asked us that same question,” Luna explained. “We had just finished telling him our answered when you walked up.”

“Oh,” Tonks said, flushing deeply, her hair starting to turn a pale lime green. “I should be going then. It was nice to see you, Neville. You too, Luna. I’ll…I’ll talk to you later, Remus.”

“Tonks,” Lupin called out as she backed away, “wait for me.” He hurried to catch up with her, taking her hand in his as they approached a large gathering at the edge of the tent.

Neville and Luna stepped carefully over the carpet of small flowers that Molly had conjured, trying to see what the commotion was all about. Neville threw his arms around Luna protectively when he saw an object come hurtling toward them.

Luna shrunk against his chest, flattered that he had tried to protect her from a falling shawl. Ginny’s falling shawl, to be exact.

They watched in fascination as the quartet had the guts to show their new talents to the entire crowd, including all the upper-level members of the Order. They finished their performance and Professor McGonagall, who put on a brave face despite the scare Harry had given her, took over with some news of her own.

“I wanted to let you know that the Order will be offering some classes starting tomorrow. There will be eight classes offered along with a strict training regiment. I am encouraging you to attend, Mr. and Mrs. Potter, Mr. Weasley, and Miss. Granger. Mr. Longbottom, you and Miss. Lovegood are also invited to attend. I am sorry for the short notice, but we were unable to contact you while you were on your mission.” Professor McGonagall waited for a reaction from the students.

“Sounds good to me,” Harry replied.

“Will I be caught up then?” Ginny asked.

“Since we are not sure if Hogwarts will reopen for the next term, we are considering that these will be your N.E.W.T. classes. When you finish the intensive training program, you will have finished your seventh year at Hogwarts. All of you.” Professor McGonagall nodded at Neville, who had his hand raised in the air.

“Professor, will Herbology be a subject?” Neville inquired.

“Yes,” Professor McGonagall responded. “There will be several additional classes to those that are normally offered at Hogwarts. I hope I don’t have to tell you what an incredible opportunity this is. I cannot remember a time when so many teachers and experts have offered their services in such a manner.”

“It’s settled then,” Harry proclaimed. “Tomorrow we return to Hogwarts.”

Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, and Luna all nodded in agreement.

It was Mrs. Weasley who broke the silence after Professor McGonagall’s announcement. “You’d better get packed,” she asserted. “You will have to travel to Hogwarts tonight. How are they getting there, Minerva? Surely the train doesn’t operate this time of year.”

“We’ve got that covered, Mum,” Harry reminded her. “Don’t worry about us. We’ll be fine.” Harry whispered something into Molly’s ear and then he sauntered back to Ginny and led her up to the house to pack. Ron and Hermione followed closely behind.

Neville and Luna headed to the Magnolia tree and settled themselves down under its beautiful blossoms. They didn’t need to pack, since Professor McGonagall had already packed for them.

Neville glanced at Luna, seeking a reaction to the information they had just been given. “How do you feel about going back to Hogwarts?” he asked placidly. I’m so excited about having two more weeks alone with you; I can barely stand it. I know we won’t be alone, exactly, but Gran won’t be there watching our every move.

“How excited can I be?” Luna reminded him. “It’s just two weeks.” You don’t seem very excited about spending time with me. Why do you keep pulling your hand away when Harry is around? Come to think of it, you do it when all of them are around. It’s like you don’t want anyone to know that we’re together. Wait. We’re not together, not really. I thought we were…close. I guess I thought wrong.

“Two weeks together,” Neville insisted. “How bad can it be?” Why don’t you sound happy?

“I don’t think it will be bad at all,” Luna retorted. “I was just thinking that you might not want to be seen with me in front of your friends.” You keep pulling away from me. I don’t know what to think.

“What are you talking about?” Neville demanded. “Not want to be seen with you. What? Have you taken leave of your senses?” How could you possibly think that I don’t want to be seen with you? I have to restrain myself to keep from touching you in front of everyone.

Neville blushed to the roots of his hair when he realized just how much he sounded like his Grandma. Now she’s never going to want to be seen with me in public.

Luna, purposely ignoring Neville’s word choice, smiled at his indignation. “I was just curious. Every time we approach Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione you let go of my hand. It’s like you are embarrassed to be with me.” Are you?

Neville scowled at her darkly. “Did it occur to you that I thought maybe you wouldn’t be comfortable being seen in public with me?” Are you? I have no problems with it.

“Why would you think that?” Luna asked. “Did I make you feel that way?” Why would you think that I’m not comfortable with you? What did I do? Was it something I said? Did I run my mouth again and say something to make him feel weird? I don’t remember anything like that.

“Well…no.” Neville shrugged and looked at his shoes. It’s me. I’ve never done this before.

“I don’t feel that way,” Luna promised. “I swear.” I’ve never done this before, I’m not sure what to do or say.

When Neville still didn’t look up, Luna leaned closer to him, brushing her hand over his. Her hand lingered on his for a moment before he captured it with his own. He laced his fingers into hers and held on tightly. When she didn’t pull away, as he had feared she would, he put his arm around her shoulder.

“I meant what I said earlier,” she breathed. “The time I have spent with you has been some of the best times of my life.” Best time ever!

Neville, knowing exactly how she felt, simply bent down and kissed her. He brushed his lips against her, gently at first, then more firmly when she didn’t withdraw from his embrace.

Luna took the kiss to the next level, pulling him closer and opening her mouth slightly. She ran her tongue over his lips and kissed him gently one last time before pulling away. Neville gasped with longing after she pulled away, but was quickly silenced by a finger to his lips.

“Someone will be here shortly,” she whispered. Crap. I really didn’t want to stop.

Neville looked startled and started to respond, but was quite rudely interrupted by a deep chuckle.

“Don’t you think you young'uns should be getting up to the house?” Professor Moody barked. “They might leave without you if you don’t get a move on.

“Yes, Sir,” Neville groaned. Why did he have to find us? I didn’t want that to end.

He and Luna quickly scrambled to get up from under the Magnolia tree and dashed off to the house to meet with Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=53142